952 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
1847 to 1848. As his successor James Smith labors two years, after whom comes Adna Newton. During brother N's time of labor a parsonage house was built, and consumed by fire after the whole was completed; and another was erected in its place under brother Newton's supervision. L. P. Cushman followed A. Newton in 1852, and labored with zeal one year from Guildhall to Harriford, C. E. In 1853 Alexander McMullin and Abner Howard were appointed to this circuit, during w'nich time three-fourths of the Sabbaths were spent in this town. In 1854 A. McMullin has the entire charge. During the time of brother McMullin's labors a very good revival was enjoyed in this town, and several were added to the church. Joseph Enright followed Mr. McMullin, and labored one year. The following year Conference left the circuit to be supplied, which was done by a Mr. Little from Concord Biblical Institute, N. H.
In 1857 the charge again is supplied by J. Adams, from Guildhall.
In 1858 John W. Bridge labored with very good success; his labors were confined to this town and Lemington during this and the following year, during which the society built their house of worship. While Mr. Bridge was with this people the interests of Christ's kingdom were revived.
In 1860 Abner Howard was appointed to this charge, since which time his labors have been confined to this town. His term of labor will expire at the close of this conference year, which ends in April, 1892. In 1862 Harry R. Stevens was appointed to this charge, and labored two years with good success. Since which time the church has been supplied by Rev. Moses Pattee. The church, during the past five years, has greatly improved, and is now in a very prosperous condition.
The following are those who have labored in town as presiding elders. Mr. Savage, John Lord, Mr. Scarrit, Mr. Hoyt, C. D. Cahoon, S. P. Williams, A. T. Bullard, J. Currier, S. Chamberlin and T. Merrill, whose services will close with the conference year.
In 1844, or about that time, a small Calvinist Baptist church was formed here, partly of members previously connected with a Baptist church in Stratford, N. H. These churches were irregularly supplied for some years by elder Abram Bedell and Rev. G. W. Butler and others. This church has a new and commodious house of worship at North Stratford, and is supplied by Rev. Charles Walker.†
LIST OF SOLDIERS IN THE LATE WAR.
Alonzo A. Martin, Ezra W. Martin, Alvin Martin,* Charles Snow,* Sumner Snow, Oliver Morse.* Daniel Morse,* Nathan M. Johnson, Newell Stevens, Nelson Noyes,† William Cooper,† Calvin Fuller, Myron C. Fuller, Stephen Fuller,† William Robinson,† Eliphalet P. Moulton, George A. Currier, Album A. Carrier, John W. Stevens, Isaac M. Wood, Samuel O. Shoff-21. In addition to the above, there were six hired substitutes credited to Bloomfield-27; and Charles B. Silver, Carlos T. Pulsifer, Frank Pulsifer, Walter S. Johnson,† Edwin Holbrook, Enoch C. Fuller,† and Rev. Selden B. Carrier, all residents of Bloomfield, served with honor in the war, but were credited elsewhere.
BY N. P. BOWMAN.
Brighton is situated in the western part of Essex County, in latitude 44° 45', and longitude 5° 6'. The township is nearly square, the four corners representing the four cardinal points of the compass. It is bounded N. E. by Lewis' and Avery's gore, S. E. by Ferdinand, S. W. by Newark and Westmore, and N. W. by Morgan and Charleston. It was originally named Random, by Hon. Joseph Brown, from its being a random purchase from an agent in Providence, R. I. The charter, signed by the Hon. Thomas Chittenden, Governor, and Thomas Tolman, Secretary, was granted to Col. Joseph Nightingale and 65 others, Aug. 30, 1781. The first proprietors' meeting was held in Concord, Vt., March 29, 1804. James Whitlaw was elected moderator, and Nathaniel Jenks, proprietors' clerk. The town was organized in March, 1832. Joseph Melendy was chosen first town clerk; John Bishop, Wm. Washburn and John Stevens selectmen.
The September following Timothy Corey was elected representative, and the same year, Nov. 3d, the name of the town was
† February, 1807, this church is now supplisd by Rev. Geo. A. Glines.
* Killed in battle.
† Died of disease.
changed to that of Brighton, that name being chosen by the inhabitants of the town. Miss Lucy M. Kilby taught the first school in the summer of 1829, and Miss Abigal Kilby taught the subsequent winter, the average number of scholars being 35.
The old town of Random was first surveyed by Joseph Whitlaw in 1790 and '91. Since its organization a part of Wenlock and Caldersburg has been annexed to it, and a part of Brighton annexed to Ferdinand. Its area now is about 33,000 acres. The first white man known to have visited the town was a Mr. Lindsley, in the year 1784; he died a few years since in Clifton, C. E., at a very advanced age, but up to the time of his death retained his faculties, and would relate his excursion to this town, in company with some St. Francis Indians, in pursuit of game, having had some thrilling adventures and hair-breadth escapes.
The first person who settled in Brighton was Enos Bishop, in 1820. John Stevens followed in 1821. John Cargill commenced, in that part called Caldersburg, about the same time. John Kilby built a log cabin and moved his family in October, 1827. Senaca Foster and family followed 9 weeks afterwards. John Kilby built the first framed house in 1828. Phrelan Rosebrooks moved his family into town in March, 1828, being the fifth family. Mr. Rosebrooks built the first framed barn. He was the first justice of the peace, having been appointed in 1828. When Mr. Bishop and Mr. Stevens came into town, they were obliged to travel on foot 16 miles from the Connecticut river through a dense wilderness, and for a long time had to bring their supplies from there in the winter on hand-sleds, the snow being so deep it was impossible to use teams, and the men could travel in no way themselves except on snow-shoes. The early settlers in town, not mentioned above, were James Blake, James Corey, Mr. Morse.
The following are the names of the Town Clerks and Representatives since the town was organized.
TOWN CLERKS.—Wm. Melendy, Olney Aldrich, Owen Brown, Anson Brown, Elias Aldrich, Harris Brown, Harvey Coe, W. Cheney, E. W. Hoffman, A. J. Downing, W. Mason, J. W. Davis.
REPRESENTATIVES.—Timothy Corey, Wm. Washburn, Elias Aldrich, John Stevens, Isaac W. Aldrich, Harvey Coe, Anson Coe, Harris Brown, W. R. Rosebrooks, Arba Jay, S. D. Hobson, G. G. Waterhouse, N. P. Bowman.
A post-office was first established Aug. 16, 1849. Postmasters up to the present time: Harvey Coe, J. D. Gilkey, Henry Hopkins, Henry M. Hoffman, E. W. Hoffman and James W. Davis.
The allotment of the first division of lands was made by James Whitlaw, in the year 1804, each lot containing 150 acres. The second division, by Abner Allyn and Steven Cole, of Charleston, and Miles Coe, of Newark, 76 acres to each lot. The third division was lotted by A. E. Judevine, Henry Coe and Charles Cummings, each lot 111 acres.
The first public road was the old Magog road, which connected Brunswick on the Connecticut river with Derby or Magog lake, and was built by Hon. Timothy Hinman, of Derby, and was the scene of much strife during the war of 1812, in consequence of attempts to smuggle cattle into Canada from New Hampshire.
While Mr. Hinman was at work on the road, in the northern part of this town, being some distance from their camp, at the close of the day he concluded not to return to it, but built a fire, and with his men numbering in all thirteen, lay down in a row upon the ground. During the night the wind arose and blew down a large hemlock tree which fell between the men and the fire, so near as to throw the embers completely over them, and had it fallen but a few inches the other way would have instantly destroyed the whole company.
Sometime previous to building the road Judge Hinman started alone upon snowshoes for Connecticut river; in the early part of the day it was quite warm and the snow melted so as to make it very heavy traveling and completely saturated his moccasins before night, and it became very cold, when Mr. Hinman found both his feet were frozen, and he traveled in this condition some distance till he arrived at the Nulhegan river, where he removed the moccasins and sat all night with his feet in the water, being unable to remove them on account of the severe cold. In the morning he bandaged them up, put on his snow-shoes, and succeeded in reaching his destination in safety.
The first child born in town perished with
954 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
its mother before assistance could be rendered them by their nearest neighbors, which were some miles distant. She was the wife of Mr. Davis, before mentioned. The first child born, which lived, was Ezekiel Foster. The first death was a Mr. Cargill, a brother of John Cargill. He was at work with his brother clearing land, and in falling a tree his ax was struck and the but of it driven into his side. He was immediately removed with the intention of taking him to his friends in New Hampshire, but died before they reached the Connecticut river.
The first couple married was Amos Currier to Miss Clarinda Williams, in the year 1832, by Phrelan Rosebrooks, Esq. Enos Bishop built the first house, upon the west side of a beautiful sheet of water called Knowlton lake, now Island Pond. The land is now owned by widow Stevens. Mrs. Bishop said she often sat in her doorway and saw the bears with their cubs pass down to drink in the pond, and deer and fawns playing in the water and on the beach. The early settlers at first were obliged to go to Derby Line, a distance of 20 miles, to get their milling done; afterwards, for many years, went to Charleston, in boats, 12 miles, taking them two days to perform the journey.
The number of organized school districts in town at this time is 7, with 175 pupils; average time of schooling per year, 6½ months.
The first missionary who visited the town was Rev. Mr. Heath, of the Methodist persuasion; afterwards the Rev. Simeon Parmelee, for over 30 years pastor of the Congregational church.
Religious meetings were frequently held here by Rev. James Allen, of Charleston, a Freewill Baptist; and the Rev. Mr. Clark, a Congregationalist, from Morgan; but for the last five years the inhabitants, with a little aid from the Vermont Domestic Missionary Society, have been able to sustain preaching most of the time There is now a small church organized and quite a large and flourishing society of the Congregational order, having within a few years built a fine church by voluntary subscription, and for the last two years* secured the services of Rev. Charles Clark, a graduate of the University of Vermont, a thorough scholar and a young man of promise. There is a large and flourishing Sabbath school numbering about 50 scholars.
In the year 1858 a Roman Catholic Mission was established, and the year following a church edifice erected. Since which time the Rev. Mr. Brown, of Compton, C. E., has regularly officiated once in two weeks to a congregation numbering about 150. This society has exerted a wholesome influence in the community by having suppressed, in some measure, intemperance, as well as noise and disturbance upon the Sabbath.
The people contribute liberally to the different objects of the church and society, as well as all other objects of charity, which are very numerous, situated as they are upon the great thoroughfare, the Grand Trunk Railway; and there cannot be found a town in the state, of equal size, where a larger sum can be raised in a short time for benevolent purposes than this.
There are no very wealthy men in town, neither are there many very poor men. All get their living by the sweat of their brow, and all have to exercise habits of economy incident to a rigorous climate like ours.
There is a masonic lodge numbering about 35 members, and they have a fine hall richly furnished.
The township is quite mountainous, but only a few rise so abrupt as to prevent the cultivation of the land. It is heavily timbered—the western portion with hard, and the eastern with soft timber; although the lumbermen have been busy for several years, there still remains a large amount of pine, spruce and other timber suitable for shipment, and which continually supply two large saw-mills propelled by steam, and four by water. Most of the lumber is shipped by railroad to Portland, and a large quantity of sugar box shooks are manufactured and shipped to Cuba.
There are 8 ponds or lakes in this township, the largest formerly called Knowlton lake, a name given it by Mr. Knowlton, one of the first surveyors; but latterly called Island Pond, from having near its center an island containing an area of 22 acres, which also gives the name to the village and postoffice at the outlet. It is about two miles long and about one and a half broad; it abounds in fine salmon trout weighing from
* Written in 1862.
1 to 15 pounds, the water is very clear and deep, the whole surrounded by mountains which slope gradually, giving it the appearance of an immense basin, covered to the shore of the pond with a mixture of hard timber and evergreen, forming altogether one of the most beautiful landscapes to be found in New England. The pond lies about 1250 feet above the level of the sea, and is the hight of land between Memphremagog lake, on the west, and the Connecticut river on the east. The waters of the pond find their way into the lake on the west, and the principal branch of the Nulhegan takes its rise but a few rods from the pond in the east, so near is it that an excavation of five feet would turn the waters of the pond into the Connecticut.
There are three rivers in town, viz: the Clyde, Pherrin's river and the Nulhegan. The Clyde, which is the outlet to Island Pond, was named by one of the early surveyors, Mr. Whitlaw, from his partiality to a river of that name in Scotland. Pherrin's river, which empties into the Clyde about a mile below the outlet, frequently rises quite suddenly, swelling the waters of the latter so as to change its current and cause it to run into the pond with great force for 10 hours or more, until the pond is full or the water subsides below, when it will again change and rush out.
Several years before any settlement here a compay of explorers came up the Clyde from Charleston, encamping near the outlet the first night. The next day resumed their journey, for the purpose of going round the pond, and encamped upon the opposite side the second night, intending to lodge at their old camp near the outlet the next. During the night a heavy rain fell and on their arrival they found their camp all right, but a strange phenomenon had happened during their absence. What they supposed to be an outlet proved to be an inlet. Without understanding the cause of the change, they started for home, and it was many years before they could make their neighbors believe such a thing had actually occurred—and not until the cause was discovered. Large tracts of level land border upon the Clyde, when cleared are very valuable for agricultural purposes. Mr. Fennessy, the present station agent, succeeded in bringing a large tract under cultivation, and it proves to be equal to any of the rich bottoms upon the Winooski or Otter Creek. There is a fine water privilege on this river, about two miles from the village, one upon Pherrin's river, about one mile from the village, and directly on the line of the railroad, also a large number on the smaller streams in different parts of the town. The eastern and southern portion of the town is a dense wilderness inhabited only by those engaged in the lumbering business, while the western portion is better adapted for farming purposes and well repays the husbandman for his toil.
There is a copper mine in the western part of the township on land owned by Dr. Harvey Coe. It never has been worked, but some very fine specimens have been taken from it, and eventually, no doubt, will prove a source of profit to the worker.
The water in this township is also very pure and soft. Near the southern boundary there is a medicinal spring, which is beginning to be resorted to by invalids. The water very much resembles the celebrated Clarendon Springs, and is found to be a specific for scrofulous and all kinds of cutaneous diseases.
The Grand Trunk railroad was built through the town in 1853. The depot, a large hotel, and other buildings connected with the road, were erected the same year. The stock of this road is owned mostly by English capitalists, and they have spared no expense in the building of the iron bridges and otherwise making it one of the most complete furnished roads in America. It has not been very remunerative to the stockholders, although it has done an immense business for the last few years and still increasing—transporting freight from the western states to Portland, there to be shipped coastwise or to Europe, returning laden with merchandise for the Canadas and west, connecting at Portland with weekly steamers from Liverpool most of the year.
The village of Island Pond, located upon the line of the road, is the great half-way place between Portland and Montreal, and the port of entry for all the traffic over the road, all the cars stopping here over night makes it a place of considerable importance. The railroad company have erected buildings here at a cost of $58,000. And money paid employees at this point amounts to over $26,000 per annum.
956 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
The growth of this town has been almost unprecedented in Vermont. In 1850 the number of inhabitants was 193; at the present time,* over 1000. The village alone containing about 700 inhabitants, 4 stores—some doing a large wholesale business—3 groceries, 1 church, and 2 school-houses, 1 large steam saw-mill, various mechanic shops, with 2 large, fine hotels—no better conducted hotel can be found in any country town in New England—the Island Pond House, kept by G. G. Waterhouse, and the Vermont House, by Dimond Stone.
In 1856 there was a disastrous fire in the village, consuming a large unfinished block, owned by John A. Poor, of Portland, a portion of which was occupied as a store by A. J. Green; from thence the fire communicated to the Green Mountain House, a large hotel occupied by J. D. & S. N. Gilkey, entirely consuming it, together with all the barns and outbuildings, and an unoccupied new dwelling-house; thence to a store occupied by Howard, Hobart & Chamberlin, destroying property amounting not far from $30,000, which was a severe blow to a young place like this and from which it did not entirely recover for several years. A store owned by Mr. Montferrand occupies the site of the Poor block, and one owned by Gilkey & Denison occupies the site of the hotel, and on the other stands a store owned by Dyer & Bartlett, and at the present time doing a safe and increasing business.
The custom-house, kept in the depot, was established in 1853. Joseph Smith, of Berkshire, was appointed the first deputy collector, but the business having increased to such an extent the government increased the force until there are now four officers required to do the business. The names of those who have held commissions in the office to the present time are Joseph Smith, H. O. Pike, Daniel Miller, A. J. Downing, A. S. Gore, R. G. Hopkinson, P. S. Benjamin, A. J. Davis, and the present incumbents, George N. Dale, N. W. Bingham, D. S. Storrs, and N. P. Barnum.
The amount of business done at this office is very large. The imports for the year ending April 30, 1862, amounting to $2,769,212; exports, same time, $5,038,242.
Island Pond village is about 16 miles from the boundary line of Canada, and about the same distance from the Connecticut river, and nearly all the distance, either way, being a. dense wilderness. An effort is being made to obtain a charter for a railroad from St. Johnsbury to Island Pond, through Concord, Victory and Granby, up the valley of Moose river. When completed, it will develop the resources and open up a tract of country consisting of an area of 100,000 acres of heavily timbered land, most of it good for agricultural purposes; a feasible route, and altogether as fine a section as can be found in Vermont, but now uninhabited, except by the wild denizen of the forest. The natural market for this immense tract is down the Connecticut valley, and a protect of this kind well deserves the candid consideration of the legislature. In anticipation of such a connection by railroad, with the facilities of railroad communication already existing; the steady increase of wealth and population; the low price of land in the vicinity, with good society, good schools, with abundant facilities for most all kinds of business enterprise; the beautiful lake and mountain scenery; the rivers and lakes abounding in fish; the forests with game; the healthiness of the place, together with one of the best physicians and surgeons in the state (Dr. C. C. Adams); in view of all this, Island Pond and vicinity holds out strong inducements for the capitalist, the merchant, mechanic, pleasure seeker, sportsman and the invalid.
The River Clyde from Lake Memphremagog, Island Pond, and the Nulhegan river to the Connecticut was once the favorite route of the St. Francis and Algonquin Indians in their travels from Canada to the southern part of New England. A few years since an aged Algonquin stated to one of the townsmen that in his youth there was water communication most of the year between Island Pond and Nulhegan Pond thence to the Connecticut, that he had often traveled the route in his bark canoe for the purposes of hunting and fishing, and within a few years the marks upon the trees where they stretched and dried their moose skins could be plainly seen. Some arrow-heads are often found near the pond, and in 1856 a company of Indians came and disinterred the bones of their ancestors and carried them away, not willing their graves should be desecrated by the ploughshare of the pale faces.
* 1862 or '63.
De Witt Clinton once surveyed this route for a canal to connect the waters of Lake Champlain with Casco Bay. His route lay through this town, and the minutes, report, &c., of the survey are now on file at the department in Washington. It was made under authority of the Government; and although a feasible route was found to exist, the project not being matured before the introduction of railroads it found its rest, and the iron horse of the Grand Trunk Railroad now passes for some distance over the proposed route.
In the extreme west part of the town is a small stream called the "Vale of Tears." At the close of the war of 1812, two soldiers who were returning to their homes in Charleston, having traveled a long distance through the wilderness and consumed all their provisions, becoming weary near the close of the day sat down upon the bank of the stream to rest and refresh themselves by partaking of the last of their whisky. One of them accidentally dropped the bottle upon a stone and broke it. The disappointment was so great that those brave men, who could face the red coat, and look into the cannon's mouth without flinching, sat down and wept; since which time the place and brook have been called the "Vale of Tears."
The oldest person deceased in town was Enos Bishop, the oldest now living is Noah Emery, aged 76 years.
I know of none from Brighton who were in the war of 1812, and but one (Andrew Foster) who was in the Mexican war. He has again shouldered his gun for the defence of his government.
As the sound of the first gun at Fort Sumter came booming through the valleys and over the hills of New England, the hardy sons of Brighton rose en masse, called Union meetings and, without distinction of party, pledged their money, their influence, and their lives to the sustaining of the old Union flag. When the President called for volunteers, they responded with alacrity. With only 128 voters in town, 98 liable to do military duty, and a large portion engaged upon the railroad, no less than 53 enlisted for three years, nearly all of whom are yet on the tented field under Gen. McClellan.*
The following are their names, with the companies and regiments to which they belong:
Co. D.—William M. Currier, Andrew Foster, Jeremiah Bishop, wounded, Chester Beesey, Arthur Libby, William Bonney, James Doyle, H. M. Hartwell, died, Charles Partlow, Solomon G. Heaten, William Corel, Geo. W. Currier, Jeremiah Percival, John Larkin, Alonzo J. Currier, Orlando Stevens, killed, Isaac S. Currier, Joseph S. Currier, Jerome Bishop, Mike Smith, Charles Dinsmore, Peter Danforth, killed, Russell Stevens, Calvin Stevens. George Robinson, Co. —
Co. F.—Charles D. Winslow, R. H. Rowell, wounded.
Co I.—James Wells, D. S. Hastings, Wm. Toothacher, Miles Stone.
Co. D.—J. N. Whitman, J. D. Rowell, J. Mahuron.
Co. K.—A. J. Howard, B. P. Howard, Geo. Gilman, William Petrie, John Petrie, Hooper D. Straut, John E. Woodsman, Edward Price, Lyman F. Perham, Geo. Morse, Arthur M. Raymond, Charles Hartwell. Charles Horr, Co. —
Co. A.—Joseph F. Tyler, Charles W. Mason, Joseph Brown, Joseph Maxfield, Isaac Crooker, Thomas Richardson, James Hickie.
A large portion were in Co. D, of the 3d Vermont Regiment, which so gallantly crossed the river at Lee's Mills and, with two other companies of the same regiment, drove two regiments of the rebels from their works and maintained their position for some time against ten times their number, and when ordered to fall back across the river maintained their order and contested the ground inch by inch. In the language of their General, "Vermont has well sustained her reputation for bravery, and her sons have shown themselves worthy of being the descendants of Ethan Allen."
In that battle Jeremiah Bishop and R. H. Rowell were severely wounded, Peter Danforth and Orlando Stevens killed, the only ones injured who went from Brighton. Young Stevens was the eldest son of widow Stevens, who deserves a passing notice. Mrs. Stevens was left a widow nine years ago with five children, three sons and two daughters—the eldest eleven and the youngest
* At the time this was written.
958 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
three years of age. All the estate left them was a few acres of land under good cultivation, on which was a comfortable house and barn. She managed to cultivate her little patch of ground, the avails of which, together with what she could earn by working out a part of the time nursing the sick, cooking for hotels, &c., was sufficient to clothe her children, and send them to school until the oldest boy could be spared a portion of the time to work out in summer and attend school in winter. Thus they managed to live until the rebellion broke out. That seemed to rouse up in her the same patriotic spirit which was so often manifested by the matrons of 1776. Mrs. Stevens seemed to take a deep interest in the movement of the armies from the first; and late in autumn when the roads were muddy, she would walk two miles twice a week to meet with the other patriotic ladies of the village, to contribute her mite towards furnishing socks and under-clothing for the soldiers of the 3d Vt., for which many a "God bless you," went out from the hearts of those brave boys when permitted to change their clothing after a hard day's work in the mud and wet of the sacred soil of old Virginia. All this Mrs. Stevens did before her own boys had thought of volunteering.
Soon a recruiting officer made his appearance asking for volunteers, and her two oldest sons—one 20 and the other 18 years of age—signified their wish to obey their country's call. Though hard to part with her main supports in her declining years, yet Spartan like she bid them go, and immediately set about getting them ready, accompanied them on foot to the village at l2 o'clock at night through the untrodden snow, saw them sign their names; received the loving kiss; bid them good bye, with an injunction to remember they were "Green Mountain Boys," left them to take the early train for the seat of war, returning to her home now made lonely for the sake of her country. A few weeks afterward the recruiting officer again returned, when her only remaining son, then 16 years old, asked permission of his mother to follow his brothers. She felt she could not spare him; she could not at first bear the thought of one so young and so frail going to the field of strife, to endure the toil and privations of camp life, but the pleadings of the boy and the love of Country finally overcame the mother's desire to keep him near her, and she consented. Soon he was ready, and though little was said, the tearful eye and quivering lip spoke louder than words of the mother's anguish and sister's sorrow as they pronounced the last good bye.
Would to heaven we could stop here; but alas, No! The telegraph announces that a battle is raging at Lee's Mills, and that Co. D, of the Vermont 3d, is badly cut up.
*"Onward they pressed for God and the right,
Not a man among them quailing;
Onward they pressed through the waves breast high,
The bullets around them hailing.
"Steadily on, cheer following cheer,
And many a brave word spoken,
Steadily on till they gain the shore,
Though their ranks are thinned and broken.
"With muskets set for a bayonet charge
They rush on the rebel foe,
They reel, they waver, they break and run,
Borne down by the crushing blow!
"For God and the rIght our boys will strike,
And never an arm will falter;
Though each household mourns a sire or son,
On our bleeding country's altar.
"For God and the right! it nerves the heart,
And kindles the tearful eye!
And the proud soul thrills that our brave boys
In this holy cause may die.
"Oh true Vermont! for our freedom's cause
You have given your sons this day;
And your name shall stand on the scroll of time,
Until time shall pass away."
Then those having friends in that company began to realize the horrors of war; then, for a few hours, the fear and anxiety was plainly written on the faces of many, their looks tell they have friends there, At last the terrible suspense is broken. A telegram announces that Orlando Stevens is among the killed. A messenger is dispatched to the widow's cottage with the melancholy intelligence that her eldest son was killed by a rebel bullet. The depth of anguish of that mother and those sisters cannot be known except by those who have experienced a similar loss. But there is an addition to the message which seems to give a little relief, it said "He died bravely fighting the enemy." The bravery and devotion then exhibited will make the Green Mountain State proud
* By N. W. Bingham, one of the scholarly board of custom house officers at Island Pond.—Ed.
of her sons. The widow said: "It is hard to bear, but I am glad to hear he was doing his duty. I suppose hundreds of mothers in the land are mourning to-day as I am; it is necessary for some to die to save the country."
Mrs. Stevens found many sympathizing friends, and efforts were at once made by the citizens to procure the remains of her son, that they might repose by the side of his kindred upon the banks of that beautiful lake he had so often visited in his childish sports; but, unfortunately, they could not be identified.
Alas! like him, how many more
Lie cold upon Potomac's shore!
How many green, unnoted graves
Are bordered by these placid waves!
An extract from a letter written by the youngest son to the mother, soon after the battle, manifests the same heroic fortitude; he says: "Brother Orlando was shot in the breast and died instantly, but while he lived he fought like a tiger; and, thank God, he died in a noble cause. Let this be a comfort to you, mother; keep up good courage, we will soon whip the rebels and be at home again." The widow bears the affliction with heroic fortitude, and were it an isolated case it would not seem so bad; but hundreds of just such mothers are scattered through the state, and their memory deserves a place in the heart of every true lover of his country.
R. H. Rowell and Jeremiah Bishop, who were wounded in the same fight, have returned home, intending to return to the field as soon as they are able. The above are all that have been injured from this town to this date, June 10, 1862.
When the call of the President was made for 600,000 more men, although Brighton had already raised more than her quota, the call touched the patriotism of her people, and a public meeting was called, at which sixty came forward and pledged all who should volunteer a bounty of $50 each, also guaranteeing the state pay of $7 per month. The following liberal donations were made: by J. Piper, $100; S. N. Gilkey, $100; Elias Denison, $50; G. C. Waterhouse, $40; to be divided in sums of $10 and paid to each volunteer who should first enlist to fill up a company. 20 citizens came forward and enlisted, many of them leaving lucrative positions, which formed a nucleus around which a company was soon formed from adjoining towns, and organized by the election of the following commissioned officers: Warren Noyes, captain; Joseph S. Hall, 1st lieutenant; Robert P. Noyes, 2d lieutenant.
The following are the names of other volunteers from Brighton:*
Co. K.—Charles Mortley.
Co. A.—Wm. A. Doying, James Joyce, John Garagon, John Ward.
Co. E.—Warren Noyes, Robert P. Noyes, J. Wallace Nason, A. C. Farmer, S. A Haynes, F. D. Nason, Marshal Dyer, Leander P. Currier, James D. Percival, L. A. Woodbury, D. M. Wescott, Claud Somers, G. G. Lasell, Charles Neiler, H. E. Nason, John C. Dalloff, Hiram Farmer, Elijah N. Davis, Henry Atkins, Don C. Foss.
Lemuel Chase, Michael Labounty.
There is a little incident in connection with the early history of the Stevens family which may not be uninteresting in that connection. Mr. John Stevens, the second settler in town, had a little son called Edwin, aged 5 years, who went into the woods near the house, in the afternoon of May 2, 1825, in search of a flower called lady's slipper, accompanied by their faithful dog Painter. Not returning, the mother supposed he had gone to his father, who was at work about half a mile from the house, chopping. On the arrival of Mr. Stevens at night without the boy, they at once became alarmed, and fired the alarm-gun to bring the neighbors, who lived on the opposite side of the pond, and with torches immediately commenced the search. Getting no tidings from him during the night, a messenger was dispatched to Morgan and Holland for assistance; and a large number of people searched until the fourth day before making any discovery, when the noble dog Painter came in nearly famished. They fed him, and he, with a few men, immediately took the back track, which was easily followed in consequence of a light
* Received in time for insertion, but since the foregoing was written.—Ed.
960 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
snow which fell during the night, and traveled nearly five miles when the dog stopped near the roots of a large tree which had blown down, where they found the dead body of the child, with its little hands crossed over its eyes, and covered over with leaves and mosses by its faithful protector, who stayed with his little charge as long as he could without starving. For years afterwards let any of the family say to him, "Painter, where is Edwin?" and he would instantly drop on the floor and seemed to manifest as keen sorrow as a dumb beast could for the absence of the little one.
Mr. Stevens' family was again afflicted, in 1831, by the death of a little daughter two years old, who went to a spring near the house with her little cup for some drink, when she slipped in and before discovered was drowned.
It is said there are many interesting incidents connected with the early history of the town, such as hair-breadth escapes, perilous adventures, great endurance, &c., among the early settlers; but the older inhabitants, who were the subjects and witnesses of them, had all died or removed from town before the writer became one of its citizens.
The Fosters, Blakes and Morses are among the principal hunters who have become familiar with the wilderness in all northern Vermont. The latter are usually engaged as guides to the stranger who wishes to spend a few days in hunting and fishing. Bears, deer and moose are often captured. The latter, which was formerly very plenty, has taken a dislike to the steam whistle and do not now approach very near to the abodes of civilization. In the year 1858 a large moose came upon the railroad, a few miles north of the village, and was discovered by the engineer, who was running a train of empty platform cars. He immediately let on steam and gave chase, the moose keeping the railroad track for about one mile, when the engine getting rather too near, the moose wheeled to double his track and succeeded in getting around the engine, but came so close as to come in contact of the second car, which struck him with such force as to instantly kill him and at the same time threw two empty cars from the track. It was a very large one, weighing between 600 and 700 pounds. Many of his leaps measured over 20 feet.
In the winter of 1842 and '43 an epidemic prevailed in this part of Vermont, which baffled the skill of the best physicians for a long time, and proved very fatal. In Brighton many were attacked, but Dr. Harvey Coe, then practicing physician, having been fortunate enough to hit upon the right treatment, lost only one patient. Other physicians soon adopted his theory and many lives were saved.
[The writer is under obligations to Dr. Coe and E. W. Hoffman, Esq., for much information relating to the early history of this town.]
BY MRS. MARGARET G. MARSHALL.
The town of Brunswick is bounded S. by Maidstone, E. by Connecticut river, N. by Bloomfield, and W. by Ferdinand, formerly Wenlock. Most of the meadow land bordering on the Connecticut river is annually inundated by its waters, increasing the fertility of the soil, by the alluvial deposit left upon the land when the water subsides. With the exception of the land bordering on the river, the town is broken, hilly and stony, and poorly adapted to purposes of agriculture. The town was chartered in the usual manner, by Benning Wentworth in 1761, to Stephen Noble and 63 others, and embraces a little more than 15,000 acres. There is quite a discrepancy in the charter of Brunswick, which can only be accounted for on the supposition that the course of the Connecticut river was not correctly understood. The charter says, "containing by admeasurement about twenty-five thousand acres, which tract is to contain something more than six miles square and no more;" then after some preliminary remarks, proceeds to describe the tract by courses and distances, and says, "butted and bounded as follows, viz : at the most easterly corner of Maidstone, from thence northwesterly up Connecticut river so far as to make six miles upon a straight line, thence from said river N. W. six miles and one half mile, from thence southwesterly on a parallel line with that on the river to the northerly corner of Maidstone aforesaid; from thence S. E. by Maidstone aforesaid to Connecticut river, to the bounds first above mentioned." If the course of the river had been