966                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


had the care and superintendence of the establishment for the last two or three years, has purchased a large tract of hard wood­land in the vicinity of the mills, and is carrying on quite extensive farming operations. He has, in connection with his son Charles, erected a store near the mills, being the first store in town, and a brisk trade has sprung up where a few years since the soli­tude of the forest was only broken by the scream of the owl and the roar of the water­fall. D. H. & T. G. Beattie, of Maidstone, have recently built a large saw-mill on Paul stream, and are actively engaged in lumber­ing operations.

Other mills, of less size and capacity, have been built within a few years, on Wheeler stream, for the manufacture of lumber; and perhaps no town in the county sends more lumber to market, in the various forms in which it is prepared, than Brunswick.

Prior to the facilities extended to this coun­ty by the railroad enterprise but little prog­ress, since 1810, was made in this town in point of wealth and population.

The broken and sterile condition of the lands not immediately bordering on the river did not give sufficient inducement to agricultural pursuits to cause their settle­ment, and the want of a ready market for most of the products of the soil, had a tend­ency to laxity in its cultivation; but, since 1852, a new order of things is seen, not only in active mechanical operations, but also in the cultivation and improvement of farms.

The article of hay, which perhaps is as much entitled to the appellation of king in the North as cotton in the South, has more than doubled in price; and a ready market is found, at an advanced price of former years, for the various productions of hus­bandry.





      BY MRS. M. M. JOHNSON.*


Like foam on the crest of the billow,

      Which sparkles and sinks from the sight,

Like a leaf from the wind-shaken willow,

      Tho' transient, yet beautifully bright:


Like dewdrops exhaled while they glisten,

      Like perfume which dies soon as shed,

Like melody hushed while we listen,

      Is memory's dream of the dead.





There's a calmness and beauty in evening's decline,

A joy and sweet peace that has ever been mine,

A quiet that rests on the heart like the ray

That falls in the water at closing of day.

Yon trees, in full foliage o'er the still water beading,

Seem waving their branches in quiet delight,

While the small pensile twigs to the water depending,

Seem to welcome the coolness and quiet of night.









To write the early history of a town whose first settlement dates as far back as does that of many towns in our state, is extremely difficult; especially so, when—as with the history of this town—the public records afford but a meagre supply of the requisite material and data, and the early settlers have nearly all passed away, leaving but lit­tle record of themselves from which to gather up the scattered fragments of a town history. Their memorial is found rather in well cultivated farms and comfortable dwellings—in the church, the school-house, and the thriving village, with all their accompanying evidences of a progressive, intelligent and prosperous people, where the deep, dark forest once proclaimed that rough, stern, rugged nature held undisputed sway. By their unwearied labors the wilderness has been made to literally "bud and blossom as the rose." These are their monuments—more eloquent, truthful and enduring than sculptured marble and chiseled granite—of the deeds and characters of those who


             "reared amid the wilderness

The hamlet and the town."     


To us who live in these "later days," when the savage grandeur and sternness of nature has yielded to the onward and con­quering march of labor and progress, it is hardly possible to realize the almost insur­mountable obstacles with which the first settlers had to contend.

This whole northern region was an almost unbroken wilderness; and, in addition to the hardships experienced in the first settlements of places lying contiguous to settled portions of country, the inhabitants of this town had to bring all the necessaries of life from the southern part of this state and New Hampshire, as well as from Massachu­setts, and to transport them over roads which would now be considered hardly passable either for man or beast.,


* Now of Stratford, N. H., formerly Maria Marshall, of Brunswick.




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         967


Yet amid all these discouragements the early settlers persevered, being men and women of "iron frame" and determined will, for whom toil and privation tended but to call forth stronger effort and greater endur­ance. Such were the men and women to whom Vermont to day owes much of her sterling integrity, careful industry and pru­dent thrift, her manliness and intelligence—elements which make her sons and daughters respected both at home and abroad.

Concord lies in the southern part of Essex Co. Lat. 44° 25' north, and Long. 5° 8' east from Washington. It contained when granted about 47 square miles, bounded north-westerly by Kirby, north-easterly by Lunenburgh, south-easterly by Connecticut River, south-westerly by Waterford—being larger than the average of towns in the state; and has within a few years been increased by the annexation of a part of Brodley's Vale. The town was granted Nov. 7, 1780, and chartered Sept. 15, 1781, to Reuben Jones and 64 others,* with 5 other rights as usual: the governor's, the ministe­rial, the school, the college and county grammar school right.

The first meeting of the proprietors was holden at the inn of Jehial Webb in Rock­ingham, Aug. 17th, 1784; at which a com­mittee was chosen


"To view ye lands in Concord, and if they find a convenient place for a town plot, to lay out a street or streets five rods wide, and long enough to lay out fifty acres to each right, fronting fifty rods on one of said streets; said plot to be as nigh ye middle of the said township, as ye land will permit."


In pursuance of these instructions the committee did lay out lots of 50 acres to each right. But instead of its being "as nigh ye middle of the town, as ye land will permit," it was located near the west part of the town, though there was a situation equally as good near the geographical center. No explan­ation of this is now available.


At the third meeting of the proprietors it was:

"Voted, to give the first ten proprietors that will settle in Concord, (provided they shall move into said town on or before May 1786) liberty to pitch 100 acres each in Form, with ye Town Lines, or so as not to leave Gores at the next draught of land in said Town."


At a subsequent meeting it was:

"Voted, to reserve the Meadow Lands on Passumpsic [Moose] River, [so called] in ye town of Concord from ye Privelige of such proprietors as may pitch Lots in said Town."


At a meeting of the proprietors, Sept. 1786, it was voted to give Joseph W. Morse a gore of land containing forty acres, "in consideration of his extraordinary services, towards settling the town. What the nature of those "services " was does not appear, though they seem to have produced no immediate results, in the advancement of settle­ments in town; there being no settlements made till 1788 when Joseph Ball—who came with his family from Westboro, Mass.— made a permanent settlement. He commenc­ed upon the farm now owned by Mr. Alba Caswell. His son John Ball, born in 1789, was the first child born in town, and re­ceived a grant of a lot of land from the pro­prietors of the town.

Sally Lewis, daughter of Mr. Jonathan Lewis, born the same year, was the first fe­male child born in town.

A Mr. Noyes, who was killed by the fall­ing of a tree has been said to be the first per­son who died in town. He was buried in what is now known as the Pike Burying Ground. This is however incorrect, as from reliable evidence we find it to have been the wife of Mr. Joseph W. Morse, who died in 1790.

A very intelligent lady, of remarkably tenacious memory, who still retains a vivid recollection of the early events of the town, writes as follows:


"According to the best of my recollec­tion, Mr. Joseph Ball told me that he mov­ed into town in the spring of 1788, with his wife; and that his first child was born June, 1789, — and also that Amasa and Joseph Morse, and one other family, whose names I have forgotten, came in the same year a little before him; but when winter came and the weather was severe, all those families went over into Littleton, N, H., and


* CONCORD GRANTEES.—Joseph Wood, Ebenezer Wall­bridge, Edward Aiken, Moses Spofford, Gideon Tiffany, William Gilkey, John Smith of Chester, John White, Walter White, John White, jr., Uriah Howe, William Wood of Poultney, Elisha Smith, Obadiah Merrill, Josiah Willard, Prentice Willard, Josiah White, Elisha Galusha, Noah Chittenden, Thomas Putnam, Levi Put­nam, Isaac Wyman, Edmund Hodges, Steel Smith, Moses Brigham, John Beach, Thomas Chittenden, Abraham Ives, James E. Beach, Samuel Uffatt, Barney Beach, Jotham Ives, Abijah Hurd, Freeman Hurd, Ephraim Carter, Benjamin Hall, Nathan Blake, Jr. Jonathan Dwinel, Sylvester Tiffany, Jonas Prescott, Abijah Gale, Seth Morse, Samuel Wetherbee, Susannah Wetherbee, Jason Wetherbee, Samuel Wetherbee, jr., James Wether­bee, Azor Wetherbee, Jonathan Freeman, Otis Freeman, Joshua Webb, Charles Webb, Nath'l Robinson, Joseph Ellis, Simon Ellis, Benjamin Ellis, Daniel Davis, Moses Willard, Levi Lincoln, Benjamin Green, William Carter, Nathaniel Davis, Jonathan Holton and Timothy Clark.




968                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


stayed through the coldest of the weather, and then returned, while he and his wife staid all winter in their shanty made of crotches stuck in the ground for posts. The wife of Joseph Morse, whose maiden name was Annis Burnett, was the first person known to have died in town."


In a paper entitled "Early Reminiscences," the same lady says:


"Two young men by the names of Moses Gleason. and Daniel Gregory, of Westboro, Mass., came to Concord in the year 1789 and commenced there a settlement. Daniel Gregory began the farm that Chauncey Hill now lives on. He built a camp and cooked his board, with the exception of his bread, which he had baked in Littleton, some seven miles distant, where he went once a week, being guided only by the aid of marked trees. There were no roads, it being truly "a howl­ing wilderness." Mr, Jonathan Lewis settled on a lot near his, a little before him. He chopped and cleared a few acres and staid alone in his camp. Moses Gleason, his rela­tive by marriage, began the farm where Charles F. Gregory now lives, and chopped and cleared several acres. In the fall both started to return to Massachusetts, to stay through the winter. Young Gleason said he did not like this northern region, and he should go South. He started with that in­tent, but his friends have never heard from him from that day to this. Daniel Gregory and his father-in-law came up to Concord and looked over both lots, and the old gentle­man advised him to take the one on the Connecticut that his son had begun. He did so, and built a small house into which he moved his family the next year, and spent his days there. The place is now owned by his son Charles F. Gregory, Esq. A young man by the name of Andrew Scott, from Scot­land, came into town not far from the same time, and commenced a settlement on the farm now owned by William Buck. adjoining Daniel Gregory's, and built himself a house by the side of an enormous great rock which he had for the back of his chimney. He cleared up his farm and lived alone many years. The old people all agreed in opinion, many years ago, that he was a very good man, and benevolent; and that he had a very thorough knowledge of the Bible.— One of the old ladies told me he knew more of the Bible than all the other settlers put together. He was a firm Presbyterian. As an instance of his goodness I will mention the following incident: A poor family by the name of Hoyt, had moved into town. They were very poor indeed—they had several children, and the hardships of the wilderness proved too great for the mother, and she sickened. Mr. Scott took them in. She had to be carried five or six miles, through the woods, on a bier, on men's shoulders; and died at Mr Scott's after lingering several months. The old gentleman said, when he told the story, "I let them have grain, potatoes, and meat, to keep them from starving—for they had nothing—never expecting to get any pay; nor did ever I get any." The old gentleman was unfortunate after that: I believe he is rich, now, in heaven, where misfortune and sorrow can never come."

Joseph W. Morse began the place where Jackson Perry now lives, and raised the first grain (rye) in town; by cutting some of which, as soon as it would possibly do for use, and beating it out upon a stone, and drying the grain in a kettle, he furnished a poor family with sustenance, and kept them from starving.

Benjamin Streeter began the farm where John Morse now lives—his father, Zebulon Streeter, chopping the first tree. "Mr. Amos Underwood settled on the place where the late Aaron Tilton lived: Mr. Moses Chase where John W. Williams now lives. A Mr. Knight began the place where the Hon. Samuel G. Babcock now lives. Levi Ball began the place where Mr. James B. Ball now lives. Samuel Wetherbee commenced the farm where Samuel Heywood now lives; Jonathan Lewis on the place lately owned by the heirs of Nathan Morse; Jonathan Woodbury the place where Nathan Pike now lives; Jesse Woodbury the farm where Abel Stacy now resides; Benjamin Streeter, 2d, the place next above, where Charles F. Gregory lives."

The foregoing is probably the most correct account of the early settlement of the town which is now available.

In 1795—seven years after the fist settle­ment—there were but 17 families in town; in 1798, 40.

Among the early settlers were Jonathan Lewis, Amasa and Joseph W. Morse, Solo­mon Babcock, Jonathan Hutchinson, Amos Underwood, Daniel Gregory, Benj. Streeter, Jonathan and Jesse Woodbury, Samuel Hud­son and Samuel Wetherbee. The early settlers came principally from Royalston and Westboro, Mass., or towns in their vicinity. One portion of the town was settled by "Woodburys" from the former place, and has ever been known by the name of "Royalston Corner."

The first town meeting was held March 3, 1791; Joseph Ball first town clerk. The first "freeman's meeting" was Sept. 2, following. Elijah Spofford was chosen representa­tive.

At a meeting of the proprietors, held in




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         969


1786, it had been voted to give two lots of land to any one who would build a saw and grist-mill in town, and keep the same in repair for 15 years. At a subsequent meet­ing it had been voted to give an additional hundred acres to the builder of the mills. The first mills were built by Joseph Ball, sometime prior to 1795, upon "Hall's Brook," in the S. E. part of the town, on the site of what are now known as "Goss's mills." That the grist-mill, at least, was a "rough specimen" compared with those of the pres­ent day, the following anecdote, although gross exaggeration, will serve to illustrate:

A Mr. Powers having got some grain ground there, his wife, as he said, "tried to sift it with a meal sieve, but could not, it being so coarse. She next tried to sift it by using the ladder for a sieve, but it would not go through between the rounds; and it was only by taking out every other round that the thing could be accomplished."

Still this mill was of great service to the people, for previous to its erection, they were obliged to go to Lancaster or Haverhill, N. H., a distance of 30 or 40 miles; and this journey must be performed either on foot or on horseback.

It is related of a Mr. Lewis, that having bought a bushel of corn at Lancaster, N. H., (25 miles off) he got it ground, and taking it upon hIs back started for home; but being overtaken by night and darkness, when he had reached the S. E. part of the town he lay down on the ground till morning, when again resuming his journey he at length arrived at home.

But a greater difficulty than the distance to grist-mills was oftentimes experienced by these pioneers in the great scarcity of grain, as it sometimes could not be had at any price short of going from 50 to 100 miles "down the river." The writer has often heard his father tell of having, when a boy, to go to Bradford, and sometimes further down the river, in company with others and get a "horse load of corn," which was as much as a horse could fetch upon his back.

The following "anecdotes" related to the writer by Dea. John Frye,* now living in town at the advanced age of 86 years, may serve to illustrate some phases in the early history of the town; and, as such, are worthy a place here:


Dea. Frye, who was then a youth of 19, came from Royalston, Mass., in February, 1795. The journey occupying 11 days— which is now made in as many hours—was performed with a team of four oxen drawing a "big sled," in which were deposited the "goods and chattels" of his father, together with quite a numerous family, who were "stowed away" in the upper part of said "vehicle," which was covered something like the western emigrant wagons of the present day.

*          *          *          *          *         

At one time, getting out of grain, the father of young Frye sent him off with about five dollars in money to try and buy some. Traveling for sometime without suc­ceeding in procuring any, he at length was so fortunate as to find a young man on the road to Lyndon who had 10 bushels of wheat to sell, which he offered for one dollar per bushel—only about one-half the regular price. Here was a golden opportunity, but unfortunately he declined to sell a part; but at the earnest solicitation of Frye was induc­ed to let him have what his money would pay for, at a dollar per bushel. It being noised abroad among the neighbors that he had been thus successful, he was dispatched again, the next day, with what little money they had, as a sort of "general agent," to buy grain for them; but alas for their hopes! After riding all day he succeeded in pro­curing only a single bushel, for which he had to pay double the price of the day before.

On one occasion, needing a kettle for sugar­ing, he went to St. Johnsbury (10 miles), and procuring one of the kind denominated a five-pail kettle, he turned it bottom side up over his head, and in this way carried it home.

Capt. John M. Darling,* now living in town, at an advanced age, an active and hardy specimen of the past generation, drove the first wagon into town March 6, 1806. He came with his wife from Keene, N. H.— performing the journey in six days. Mrs. D. rode a horse without saddle or bridle the last mile or two of the journey.

Having no churn, Mr. Darling split out some staves and shaved and fashioned them, and made the hoops and bottom of the churn with a piece of broken scythe and a jack-


* Deceased since the above was written.




970                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


knife. Needing some buckets in which to gather sap, he made them of birch bark, with wood bottoms, and they did good service for many years. Such are only samples of the expedients to which the early settlers resorted

Almost the only means some of the settlers had of procuring their "groceries," &c., was by cutting down trees—usually maples—and burning them into ashes, leaching the ashes to obtain the lye, which they boiled into "salts" and sold at St. Johnsbury for about one cent per pound. Said an aged woman who died in town some years since, but who formerly lived in the adjoining town of Lunenburgh,* "I have sat up more nights to boil salts than I am years old. My husband carried them to St. Johnsbury on his back (20 miles) to get something to eat. I was obliged to make baskets and turn every way to keep my children from starving."




Concord is an agricultural town producing a good supply of grass and grain, with abundance of the very best pasturage. The inhabitants send annually to market a large number of cattle, sheep and horses. Also many pounds of butter, wool and hops.

The following "statistics" exhibit the leading products of the town in 1860, accord­ing to the census reports of that year: Bushels of wheat, 2328; bushels of oats, 15330; average corn crop, 8000 bushels; bushels of potatoes, 26100; pounds of wool, 4434; pounds of hops, 8683; pounds of butter, 81232; orchard products, 4000 bushels.

Large quantities of sugar are yearly made. From the census reports we also glean the following: Number of horses, 328; mulch cows, 737; working oxen, 314; other cattle, 1135; sheep, 1244; swine, 104; value of real estate, $432,400; personal estate, $175,­231; population, 1291; over 20 years of age who cannot read and write, 6; blind, 1 ; paupers, 5.

A large portion of the town is more or less stony and uneven, but the soil is very strong, fertile and well calculated to resist wet and drouth. On both the Connecti­cut and Moose rivers are some fine meadows. The township is abundantly supplied with never-failing springs of pure, soft water; and several streams furnish adequate sites for mills and machinery, some of which are of much value, especially those at West Concord. Hall's brook, issuing from Hall's pond, in the south-westerly part of the town; Miles' stream, issuing from Mile's pond, in the north-easterly part; Mink brook, near the center; Moose river, in the westerly part; and Connecticut river, on the south-easterly side of the town, afford ample facilities for not only saw and grist-mills, but the two latter for factories. The Con­necticut river, however, in Concord, is not yet improved for mills or factories. The width of it is such as to render dams ex­pensive.

Hall's pond is a beautiful sheet of water more than 1 mile in length and from 1-4 to 1-2 mile in width. Miles' pond, in the north-east part of the town, is considerably larger. It washes the base of Mile's mountain, the highest elevation of land in town. From these ponds the early inhabitants drew im­mense supplies of fish, and considerable quantities are still procured from them, especially from Miles' pond.

The geology of the town is somewhat dif­ferent from others in the vicinity. The rocks are granite, mica, schist, talcose schist, sili­cious limestone, argillaceous schist. A bed of coarse conglomerate and a calcareous disk also occur. The latter is 5 or 6 feet wide, and may be traced for a mile or more, crossing the strata at an angle of 20 or 30 degrees. No minerals of much value have been found. Small veins of galena occur in the S. E. por­tion of the town, but have never been care­fully examined. Fibrolite, porphyry and pargasite are abundant in the rolled stone. The former occurs in places on the north end of Miles' mountain. Veins of quartz, cal­cite and chlorite occurs, some of which fur­nish beautiful cabinet specimens. Small deposits of earthy manganese occur in sev­eral places, and much of the rock in town is that in which gold may be found; but so far as is known to the writer, never has been discovered.**


* Rev. S. R. Hall's History of Eastern Vermont.

** Since the above was written, copper has been discovered in various places, in town, and a company has been formed for the purpose of mining for it, called the—Essex mining Company," whose principal office is in New York City. From the report of the Mining En­gineers we extract the following particulars of the Essex Mine. "The Essex Mine is situated in the town of Concord and is commonly known as the Moulton and Darling farms. The rocks of this district are of a highly cupriferous character, consisting of the talcose schists. There are also exposed to view parallel bands of quartzite, though the schist seems to be the charac-




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         971


The only natural curiosity of interest in the town is a cave on Miles' mountain. It is said to be of considerable extent, but has not been fully explored or described.

Deer were formerly very abundant, and long after the town was settled they were quite plenty, but now are not frequently seen, though more or less are caught nearly every year. Bears also were seen much more frequently in former years than at present. The following authentic bear story is perhaps without a parallel: A bear having been caught in a large trap, two or three men were leading him along by a rope attached to the trap; when the muscles of his leg giving way, he was liberated at once, and turned directly for the woods. Mrs. Morse, wife of Mr. James Morse, and one or two other women, with several children, were following the bear, and as he turned to run for the woods, a boy of Mrs. Morse's hit his heels against some impediment and fell over backwards, directly before the bear, when Mrs. M., seeing his danger, caught the trap and, with one well directed blow, laid the savage beast dead at her feet; but in doing so, received quite a severe wound her­self, under her chin, by one of the grappling hooks at the end of the chain attached to the trap.

Wolves were also very abundant in town some 25 years since. An old hunter, by the name of French, caught numbers of them in the woods around Miles' pond. The bounty for killing a wolf being $20, it was thought that the same animal sometimes "did duty" more than once, by which means the state was cheated into paying for him the second time. Whether these surmises were true or not we have not the means of knowing. A wolf has not, to our knowledge, been seen in town for quite a number of years.

Moose were formerly caught in the woods around Moose river, in the northern part of the town. Some hunters, by the name of Hall, having killed a number of these animals, in the north part of the town, offered one-half of the meat to those who would bring it in. A Mr. Hunter brought in 100 pounds upon his back, and the father of the writer, 95 pounds, traveling upon snow-shoes; it being a warmish day and the snow very light and moist, they had to be often rapped against the trees to unload the snow from them, which made the traveling with so heavy a load very laborious. Moose have long since become extinct in town,




from the organization of the town to the present time: Elijah Spafford, 1694; Jona­than Lewis, 1795 and '96; Samuel Wether­bee, 1797, '99, 1800, '01, '02, 03, '06; John Frye, 1798; David Hibbard, 1804, '05, '07, '18; Richardson Graves, 1809, '10, '13, 14: Robert Taggard, 1812; Cornelius Judevine, 1815, '16; Jesse Woodbury, jr., 1817, '19; James May, 1821; David Hibbard, Jr., 1822, '23; Dyer Hibbard, 1824, '25, '26, '27; Archi­bald Taggard, 1828, '29, '30, '31, '32, '33, '34, '35; Moses Hill, 1836, and '37; David Hib­bard, 3d, 1838, '39, '40, '43, '44, '58, '59; Nathan J. Graves, 1841, '42; Harvey G. Frye, 1845, '46; William B. May, 1847, '48; Jeneson Carruth, 1849, '50; Preston May, 1851; Ebenezer Holbrook, 1852, '53; John G. Darling, 1853, '54; Chauncy Hill, 1856, '57; L. H. Tabor, 1860, '61, '62; Levi Howe, 1863, '64; Harvey Judivine, 1865.




Joseph Ball from 1791 to 1803; Nathan Fisher from 1803 to 1804; Benjamin May from 1804 to 1805; David Hibbard from 1805 to 1811; Robert Taggard from 1811 to 1813; Andrew Spaulding from 1813 to 1828; Harvey G. Frye from 1828 to '57, with the exception of the year 1830; John Scoby 1830; George C. Frye from 1857 to present time.




David Hibbard, jr., 1813, '14, '15, '16; Dyer Hibbard, 1821; Elijah Hill, 1822; Charles Chase, 1863, '64.




David Hibbard, jr., 1813, '14, '15, '16, Oscar F. Harvey, 1860, '61.




Samuel Wetherbee, 1803, '04, '05, '06, '09; Azarias Williams, 1811, '12; Richardson Graves, 1821, '23, '24, '31, 34; Dyer Hibbard, 1823; Brigham Pike, 1836, '37; David Hibbard, jr., 1838; Warner Brigham, 1844;


teristic rock of the district, and belongs to the lower silurian system. Their position is as near vertical as possible, and they contain the copper-bearing veins of the mine; these veins are composed chiefly of iron pyr­ites, quartz, and feldspar, and are richly charged with the yellow sulphurate of copper. They are conformable with the stratification, and take a course of N. 55° E. by S. 55° W. The upturned edges of the strata which are abundantly exposed on the property, exhibit incrustations of gozzan throughout."

This company now employ some 20 hands in the mines—but whether it is destined to be a "paying operation" or not, is probably undetermined.




972                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


Nathan J. Graves, 1847; Samuel G. Bab­cock, 1848; David Hibbard, 3d, 1850, '51; Harvey G. Frye, 1852, '53; Asa Hibbard, 1857, '58.




David Hibbard, 3d, 1856.




Cornelius Judevine, 1814; Dyer Hibbard, 1822; Archibald Taggard, 1828; Harvey G. Frye, 1836, '50; William B. May, 1843; Asa Hibbard, 1856.




1791, 49; 1800, 322; 1810, 677; 1820, 800; 1830, 1031; 1840, 1024; 1850, 1153; 1860, 1291. Families in Concord, at the present time (January, 1866), 240; inhab­itants, 1186.

The number of deaths in town, from its first settlement to the year 1830, was 254, of which a large proportion were children under ten years of age.

Concord has usually been a very healthy town. In 1822 the dysentery prevailed to a great extent, and was very fatal among the children. In 1833 the canker rash prevailed, and was quite fatal. The erysipelas was very prevalent and fatal in 1844. During the fall of 1863 and winter of 1864 the diphtheria and canker rash proved very fatal.

Among the remarkable instances in which diphtheria has swept off almost entire fami­lies, may be mentioned that of Mr. Luther W. Russell, whose entire family, consisting of his wife and four children, and also a sister living in the family, died in the space of a few days.




a flourishing village, containing some 80 dwellings, 90 families and nearly 350 inhab­tants, is situated in the westerly part of the town, on both sides of Moose river.

It was founded by John D. Chase in 1837, who, against the earnest solicitation of his friends, erected a dwelling-house in the autumn of that year, and moved his family into it in June, 1838, at which time he com­menced the building of a dam and saw-mill on Moose river, on the site of the mill now owned by the Hon. Asa Hibbard. He had but little capital for such an enterprise, ex­cept uncommon natural mechanical skill, indomitable will, active hands, and a fixed determination to see a village grow up around him. Having completed his saw-mill, he soon after commenced making preparations for erecting a grist-mill; and associating with him his nephew, Mr. Levi Howe, they built a grist-mill, in 1840 and 41, which was then considered the best in the state.

The first store was built by C. S. S. Hill in 1840. Various mechanical shops were soon after erected and occupied by people of different trades.

A cemetery was laid out in 1843, and a neat and commodious church edifice erected in 1844, owned by the Universalist Society, in which preaching has been sustained the greater part of the time.

The West Concord House was built by Levi Howe in 1844.

In 1845 Messrs. J. D. Chase, Levi Howe, M. H. Hill, and W. Joslin built a second dam and saw-mill; and the next year J. D. Chase and others erected a foundry and machine shop near it. Mr. Chase, in connection with his two sons, carried on an extensive business in the machine and mill manufacturing business for several years. The following statistics of the business of J. D. Chase & Sons are taken, by permission, from the last census report, and will convey something of an idea of their works and business at that time (1860):

Capital invested in mills and machinery, $28,000. Materials consumed yearly, as follows:


100 tuns pig iron,                               valued at          $3,600

20     "     wrought iron,                           "    "                 1,300

30     "     anth. coal,                                "    "                    465

3000 bushels charcoal,                          "    "                    150

30 tuns molding sand,                            "    "                    450

100,000 feet lumber,                               "    "                 1,500

1½ tons lead and zinc,                            "    "                    425

Other articles,                                         "    "                 1,850




Manufactured during the preceding year:


16 circular saw-mills,                         valued at          $5,920

12 planing-mills,                                     "    "                 6,350

1 fire-engine,                                           "    "                 1,000

5 grist-mills,                                            "    "                 5,000

3 lumber-mills,                                        "    "                 6,000

25 force-pumps,                                      "    "                    625

Other work,                                             "    "                 4,500

Value of lumber manufactured,                                     5,625




The financial crisis. which soon followed the breaking out of the Rebellion, compelled


* For many of the materials of this sketch the author is indebted to Jefferson Chase, Esq.




                                                   CONCORD,                                                         973


the Messrs. Chase to suspend their business and seek other fields of labor.

The water power and buildings are now owned by the West Concord Manufacturing Company, who are about converting the principal machine buildings into a woolen factory, which is expected to give employ­ment to some 30 or 40 operatives.

A post-office was established at West Concord, in 1849, and Charles Chase was appointed postmaster. He was succeeded in—by D. W. Hibbard, who gave place in—to the present incumbent, S. S. Gould.

West Concord is now the principal business center of this as well as parts of several adjoining towns, and contains, in addition to what has already been mentioned, 2 stores, 1 boot and shoe store, 2 millinery stores, 1 furniture store, 1 grocery store, 1 harness maker's shop, 2 carriage manufactories, 1 stove and tin ware store and manufactory, 1 bedstead manufactory, and various other smaller branches of business carried on by different mechanics and artisans.



a village situated in the south-westerly part of the town, dates back nearly to the first settlement of the town; and was for many years its business center and the place of a flourishing mercantile trade with this and adjoining towns; and boasted its law­yer—its physician, and its minister, years before many of the now adjoining villages had sprung up.

We have not been able to ascertain who made the first settlement here. Among the earlier ones may be named the Hon. Samu­el Wetherbee, and Joseph Frye, Esq; also Mr. Andrew Hardy, who kept the first tav­ern. The Hon. Azarias Williams was a merchant here, probably as early as 1798; and Reuben Grout flourished as a lawyer, only a few years later.

"Concord Academy and Essex County Grammar School" was a very flourishing institution and added much to the life of the place in former years. Of late years mer­cantile and mechanical business has become withdrawn to other localities, till, at pres­ent, there is little carried on here. In days of yore the people met at the "Corner" on all "public days," and full many an an­ecdote of the sayings and doings of 50 years ago might be recounted, which tho' amusing and interesting as matters of local history are not worth a place in a work like this.

We might tell, however, how a certain lawyer by the name of Richardson becoming obnoxious to the people, was rode out of town upon a blacksmith's bellows; as how on another occasion when the "ardent" had flowed pretty freely, "old Oliver Perry" an eccentric and "roystering" "old bath," washed landlady Hardy's cap in the swill-pail and dried it on the gridiron—or how a certain justice had his "official dignity" somewhat "damaged" by having the contents of the landlord's swill-pail poured up­on his head while the pail was placed upon it as he was crowned "King of the Swine."

All these, and many others, behold, are they not written in the legends" of "long ago," and we will not recount them here.




During several years it has been supposed that the first Sabbath-School in Vermont was established at Greensboro, during the year 1814. But it will clearly appear by the subjoined testimony which is itself reliable, and is confirmed by others, that a school was commenced at Concord at least two years-earlier. The writer of the following statements had complete means of showing her entire accuracy. She says;

"The first Sabbath-School established in Concord commenced in the autumn of 1811 or '12. I think it was in 1811, but I am not positive, but am certain it was in operation in the year 1812. It was established on this plan. The Rev. Samuel Goddard, that eminent servant of Christ, was minister of the Congregational church in Concord. He gave notice at the close of meeting on the Sab­bath that he would meet with the young people, one evening that week for biblical instruction, and requested us to bring our Bibles, which we did. He made a prayer. We then all read some in our Bibles. He then made an address, stating the object of the "Bible-School," as he called it, and re­quested us to commit portions of Scripture and Hymns to memory and recite them to him Sabbath intermissions, which we accord­ingly did for several months. He then adopted a different mode and gave us a ques­tion, and we looked up passages of Scripture, to answer it.

We could write down our answers as we chose. The first question he gave out was "What is the character of God?" The sec­ond "What is the character of Christ?" The next "What is the character of man?" and so on. I remember perfectly well that he said those schools were first started in England, where there was a multitude of




974                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


very poor, ragged children, that had no means of instruction, and some pious people felt pained and anxious to do something for their good, and in other places they had fol­lowed their example with the best results. Although the church has nearly run down, that Sabbath-School has kept along to the present time. We had no Sabbath-School books, except the Bible and hymn hooks, for some years; though we had the help of the catechism if we chose. The school was com­posed of scholars from 10 to 20 years of age. But where are they now? Mostly dead—but very few remain, and they are old people full of infirmities. I feel the purest pleasure in thinking over those ancient times, and the faithfulness of that servant of Christ, who was never behind the time in any good work for the spiritual good of his fellow­men."




Many of the early inhabitants had emigrated from places where they enjoyed the ordinances of the gospel; and hence were not long contented to be deprived of them.

A Congregational church was organized Jan. 7th, 1807, consisting of 17 members, over which the Rev. Samuel Goddard was ordained pastor Sept. 7th, 1809. The ordination services were held in the open air, near the residence of Hon. Samuel Wetherbee, at the Corner; and were attended by a very large number of people from this and the adjoining towns, and by most of the Congregation­al preachers in neighboring towns; The or­dination sermon was preached by the Rev. Joseph Lee, of Royalston, Mass., from Jer. iii. 15.

A house of worship was erected for the church in 1816, at a cost of some $3000, it being a very large and—for the times—cost­ly edifice. It was modeled after a church in New York City, in accordance with the wishes of Mrs. Williams, who made liberal contributions towards its erection. It was furnished with a very excellent bell, "the first in all the region round."

The Rev. Samuel Goddard continued his labor with the church till June 6,1821; and, from its formation in 1807 to June, 1821, the additions to the church were about 80, or an average of about 6 yearly, making the total number of membership then 97.

In June, 1822, Mr. Samuel R. Hall, a licentiate of Worcester County Association, Massachusetts, visited the place, at the request of the Preceding pastor, and was induced to remain and accept a call to become their pastor. He was ordained March 4, 1823. As a condition of settlement he was to be allowed to establish and maintain a seminary, with special reference to the training of teachers for the schools, and furnishing the young with greater facilities for education; but, the parish being large and the school numerous, he found the labor too exhausting to be continued many years.

During his ministry of 8 years, 48 were added to the church, and a number of hope­ful conversions occurred in the seminary, of those from neighboring towns, one of whom has long been an able missionary in Turkey; and several others who entered the work of the ministry at home. One became the suc­ceeding pastor of the church. Two, of great promise, died before completing their pre­paratory studies. The number of conver­sions in the school probably exceeded those which occurred in the parish. Mr. Hall gained and maintained great influence over the young and was enabled successfully to inaugurate several plans for their improve­ment. Having accepted an appointment as principal of a seminary for educating teachers at Andover, Mass., Mr. Hall was dismissed in August. 1830, and Mr. Solon Martin, who had been connected with the school at Concord, and also assistant teacher, was ordained pastor of the church June 7, 1835, and continued as such till Oct, 8, 1838. He had labored with the church and people more than a year previous to his ordination, with eminent usefulness, and was greatly endeared to both parish and seminary. A revival of great interest occurred during his ministry, and 30 were added to the church. Mr. Martin found the field too laborious for his state of health, and was constrained to request a dismissal, greatly to the regret of all.

After his dismission, several different parties supplied the pulpit from time to time. The Rev. John Wooster and the Rev. Josiah Morse each laboring some three years.—Since which time there has been no stated preaching, and no additions to the church.




which was gathered by Elder Daniel Quimby, was organized Nov. 10, 1821, and consisted of 11 members; Abner Haywood being the


* We are indebted to Rev. S. R. Hall for valuable aid in the preparation of this, as well as other portions of the history of Concord.




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         975


first deacon. There are no definite records of the earlier ministers who labored with this church.

In 1840 the Rev. J. M. Russell was ordained over it, and continued his labors for some 16 years, since which a number of different preachers have been employed for short periods of time.

Previous to 1813 they held their meetings in private dwellings and school-houses. In this year they erected a comfortable house, which they have since occupied. This church has always been few in numbers and of small means, consequently have never been able to give their ministers a very able support.




For the past few years the Methodists and Congregationalists have united in sustaining meetings at Concord Corner a portion of the time. At present, Methodist preaching is sustained at North Concord (formerly "Brad­ley's Vale"), where there is a small society and a neat and commodious church edifice—built a few years since.

During the past year meetings have been discontinued at the Corner, and a society formed at West Concord, under the pastoral charge of Rev. Mr. Buswell. A church has been formed which now numbers sixty mem­bers, and a Sabbath-School of some seventy- five scholars, with a well selected library. The society at present worship in the town­hall, which has been conveniently fitted up for its use,—March, 1867.




February, 1835, Daniel Pike, 2d, Senaca Sargent, David Moulton, and others, met at Joseph Frye's and organized the first Uni­versalist Society in Concord, by choosing Daniel Pike, 2d, moderator, and Senaca Sargent, secretary, pro tem.

After adopting a constitution by which to be governed, they then chose the following persons as officers for the ensuing year: Daniel Pike, 2d, David Moulton, Archibald Taggard, committee; Senaca Sargent, secre­tary; Elmore Chase, treasurer.

For several years, having no settled minister in town, they sustained preaching by securing the services of different individuals.

Rev. Moses Ballou, Merrit Sanford, and B. M. Tillotson ministered unto them suc­cessively. Their meetings for a time were held in the old academy, then located at Concord Corner, except as they were per­mitted occasionally to worship in the Con­gregational meeting-house.

About the year 1840 a little village began to be built up in the west part of the town, now known as West Concord. Here, in 1843, the society made arrangements for building a house of worship, which was com­pleted and dedicated Dec. 25, 1844. The next object of the society was to secure the services of a preacher to reside in their midst. In this they succeeded, March, 1845, when Rev. C. C. Clark accepted an invita­tion to become their pastor, and labored with the society three years.

Rev. P. Hersey supplied the desk for the next six months, when Rev. R. S. Sanborn, having accepted an invitation to become their pastor, commenced his labors October, 1848. He was succeeded, in August, 1850, by Rev. Wm. Livingston, who remained with the society until 1855. Rev. J. Britton, jr., next ministered to the society for one year, and in March, 1857, the Rev. L. H. Tabor succeeded him, who is their present pastor. As the village increased in size, and as there was no other meeting in the place, it became necessary to enlarge their house of worship, which they did in 1859, by adding 20 pews. The house now numbers 68 slips. In March, 1859, 19 members of the society and congre­gation entered into church covenant with each other, "That they might mutually help each other to grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Savior of the world," and several others have been added to the church since the organization.

Connected with the society is a Sabbath school of 80 members, and a library of 300 volumes. The following is the number of habitual attendants upon public worship, in Concord, according to the report of the Rev. N. W. Aspinwall, agent of the Essex County Bible Society: With Universalists, 170; with Methodists, 111; with Freewill Baptists, 38; with Congregationalists, 8; miscellaneous, 33; Total, 360. This, with a population of 1186, shows that less than one-third of the people are regular attendants upon public worship.


*For the materials of this sketch we are indebted to Rev. L. H. Tabor.



976                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.




Scarcely had the early settlers cleared a spot sufficiently large upon which to erect a log cabin, ere we find them snaking pro­visions for the preached gospel and the com­mon school—those objects so dear to a free people.

From the early records we learn, May, 1794, it was "Voted, to raise thirty bushels of wheat for the use of schools." Also, "to build three school-houses;" and this, too, when there were less than 20 families in town.

At a subsequent meeting it was "Voted, to build only one school-house, and to cover that with barks."

Education has ever received a commend­able share of the attention of our people. Concord Academy and Essex County Gram­mar School—an account of which is given—was the first chartered institution in this vicinity, and aided very materially in ele­vating the common schools of the town, by furnishing teachers much better qualified for their vocation than they could otherwise have been.

Common schools have multiplied till now there are in town 15 school districts, and schools which are in session from 4 to 6 months yearly, at an annual expense for teachers' wages, board, fuel, &c., of some $1400, besides large sums expended for scholars attending select schools and acad­emies.




Soon after the settlement of the Rev. S. R. Hall, he established a seminary with special reference to the elevation of common schools, by improving the character of teachers. The first term was commenced in his own house; but was, soon after, removed to a convenient hall, over one of the stores in the village. More ample accommodations being soon after demanded by the great increase of scholars in the seminary, an academy build­ing was erected on the same site where the present school-house now stands. The school was commenced in March, 1823, and incorporated at the session of the legislature the succeeding autumn. In 1825, by an act of the legislature, it was made a County Grammar School, so far as to receive the rents arising from the grammar-school lands in Concord; and has since been known as the Essex County Grammar School.

A course of study was arranged, and teachers' classes formed during the first year; but during the second, a regular normal school course was instituted. Lectures on school keeping were given during the spring and autumn of each year, intended to illus­trate improved modes of both teaching and governing schools. A small volume of these lectures was prepared for publication in 1828, and published in 1829, being the first attempt of the kind on the western continent, if not in the world. This volume was received with great favor. Several editions were issued and sold. One edition of 10,000 copies was purchased by the state of New York, and a copy placed in each school district of the state.

The editor of the Congregational Quar­terly (January, 1861) says: "To Mr. Hall undoubtedly belongs the credit of being the father of normal schools in America." "Here," says the Hon. Henry Barnard, "in an obscure corner of New England, under the hand of one who was, to a remarkable degree, self-taught, self-prompted, and alone in planning it, was an institution with all the essential characteristics of a normal school, 18 years before the Massachusetts movement had reached that point of develop­ment which secured the establishment of the normal school at Lexington."

Space cannot be allowed in this place for an extended notice of this first Normal School in America, and for giving the details of the course of study, modes of teaching, &c. The little germ planted here, in the wilderness, has sent forth its fibers, leaves and fruits to every part of the land. Meth­ods of teaching, first adopted in this town, are now common in every state, and in almost every school. Men filling many im­portant places of trust and usefulness, here received the bias which has resulted in their becoming an honor to the town and a bless­ing to the world. Rev. Daniel Ladd, mis­sionary in Turkey; Rev. Solon Martin Rev. Wm. Peck; Rev. Mr. Orton; Rev. Mr. Benton, now in California; Hon. Harry Hibbard, late member of Congress; Hon. Wm. Heywood; Hon. Reuben C. Benton (senior); Prof. James Dascomb, M. D.; Mark R. Woodbury, M. D.; Hon. David Hibbard, and many others, were members of the school during the period wich Mr. Hall was princi­pal, many of whom have become eminently




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         977


successful as teachers, or in the common walks of life.




is now in a prosperous and flourishing con­dition, under its present justly popular and efficient teachers, Mr. and Mrs. Elmore Chase, 2d, and affords excellent facilities for the people of this and adjoining localities to educate their children at a much less expense than at many other more expensive, but far less thorough and practical schools.




We have to regret, very much, that want of adequate information has prevented our giving sketches of the lives of only a very few of the early settlers of the town. Among those of whom we have been able to obtain very brief records may be mentioned the


one of the early settlers and a large landed proprietor, who came from Charlestown, N. H. His wife, whose maiden name was Susannah Johnson, was taken captive by the Indians, in company with her father's family, and carried to Montreal, Canada, where she was bought by a French family, and lived several years with three maiden sisters by the name of "Jesson."

Mr. and Mrs. Wetherbee were the parents of a large family of children, who lived to the period of manhood, and many of them to old age.



came to Concord in February, 1792, there being then only 6 families in town. He came from Barre, Mass., bringing a pack upon his back weighing 91½ pounds. He was a man of strong, hardy endurance, great memory and untiring energy. He filled many offices of trust in the early history of the town.



was a native of Royalston, Mass., where he and a brother engaged in mercantile pursuits before he studied for the ministry. He was a man of deep and ardent piety, and exerted a salutary influence upon the community in which he dwelt.



was born in Sheffield, York County, England, A. D. 1765. He came to the United States in 1786, landing at New York city. He married Miss Sarah F. Warner, of that city, in 1789, and came to Concord in 1796. He was the first postmaster in this town, and subsequently one of the Associate Judges of Essex County Court; also, for a time, a merchant in town.

Erecting a splendid mansion on his farm, about a mile from the Corner, he lived in a style far above any other family in town, and, with his truly amiable wife, dispensed hospitality with a profuse and lavish liber­ality to all. His mansion, together with much valuable furniture and household goods, was burned in 1825; after which, Mrs. Wil­liams resided in New York, in the former home of her parents, which was left her by her father, who died the same year. In 1839 Judge Williams, in consideration of the payment of certain debts and an annual annuity of $400, deeded to the corporation of the University of Vermont his lands in this state, amounting to some 1500 acres, and estimated to be worth $25,000. Mrs Williams died in the city of New York, in 1848, and Mr. Williams in Concord in 1849, being in his 84th year.

The corporation of the University of Ver­mont erected a beautiful and appropriate monument over his remains, "As a tribute of respect to one who in his life devoted his fortune for the promotion of liberal learning in his adopted state."

Judge Williams was a most excellent pen­man and correct accountant, adding two and three columns of figures as accurately and rapidly as ordinary business men could one.



came to Concord from Barre, Mass., in 1798, and commenced a farm about three-fourths of a mile from the Corner, where he lived till his death in 1852. He was a man of uncommon activity, of a strong constitution and great endurance. He took a decided and prominent part in not only the early, but subsequent history of the town, and held various offices both in town and county. He cleared up and cultivated a large and valuable farm, and accumulated a handsome property now owned by his only son, Hon. N. J. Graves.



was born in Windham, Conn., Dec. 2, 1755, and was married to Eunice Talcott, Nov. 11, 1779, living for a number of years in Cov.


* For the materials for this sketch of the life of Judge Williams we are indebted to Col. J. G. Darling, of Boston, Mass., a former resident of Concord.




978                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


entry, in that state. They were the parents of 13 children, all but one of whom lived to manhood. In 1782 or '83 he moved to Norwich, Vt., where he resided till 1799, when he came to Concord, where he lived till his death, which took place Feb. 18, 1844, in his 90th year. From an obituary pub­lished soon after his decease, we make the following extract, as being peculiarly to the point as a truthful account of his life:


"He became of age in December, after the celebration of Independence, and engaged with ardor in the struggle that resulted in its acknowledgment by Great Britain. Soon after the Revolution was closed he married and removed to Norwich in this state. After a residence in Norwich of a number of years, he came to Concord in A. D. 1799, with his family. This was but a few years after the settlement of the town commenced. Previ­ous to his coming to Concord he made a public, confession of religion by uniting with the Congregational church in Norwich.

When he came to Concord there was no religious society in town; but be did not consider this circumstance as releasing him from his covenant vows. On the contrary, he considered it an indication of Providence that he should enter into the vineyard of the Lord and labor. He accordingly assembled the few scattered inhabitants of the neigh­borhood in devotional service upon the Sab­bath. He led their minds to the throne of grace in prayer. He read to them from the word of God, and gave them illustrations of truth in the sermons of others. And this he continued to do from year to year, till God sent them a pastor, the Rev. Samuel Goddard, recently deceased in Norwich.

Thus he was emphatically, as remarked by a friend on the day of interment, the father of the religious society in the town. In 1807 the Congregational church was organized, and he was appointed the first deacon, which office he held until his death, and the duties of which he discharged with the strictest fidelity. He also held various important and responsible offices in town and county. In short, was a man greatly respected by all acquainted with him for the strength of his mind, the soundness of his judgment and the integrity of his life. In all places his labors were untiring; his example worthy; and his memory blessed."



son of David and Eunice Hibbard, was born at Coventry, Ct., Dec. 23, 1780, and was the eldest of 13 children. He came to this town with his father's family in 1798, being then some 18 years of age. His means for acquir­ing an education were limited; but his supe­rior natural abilities compensated in a great degree for this deficiency. He pursued the occupation of a farmer till considerably past the period of manhood, and then turned his attention to the law as a profession. He was emphatically what is termed a self-made lawyer. Though not possessed of brilliant oratorical powers, he was an excellent judge of law, having a strong mind and remark­ably retentive memory; and, best of all, he was a man of unbending integrity, and one who most thoroughly despised duplicity or dishonesty in others. He was honored with many important offices of trust both in town and county. It was frequently remarked, after his decease, that community had lost an honest lawyer. He died March 21, 1852, having suffered much in body and mind for several years from the effects of a severe attack of paralysis in 1845.



son of David Hibbard, Jr., was born in Con­cord, being the eldest of three children. Like his father, he is a man of strong mind and large and varied information, a most thorough hater of oppression and lover of liberty and freedom, He has usefully and honorably filled many important offices in the town and county; but the space for biography in this work is intended rather for the dead and absent sons of Vermont than for the living and resident, however they may be an honor unto and beloved by town or county.


second son of David Hibbard, Jr., born in Concord, June 1, 1816, is also a man of decided talent, a lawyer by profession, resid­ing at Bath, N. H. Entering college at the early age of 16, he passed rapidly through his collegiate and professional studies and commenced the practice of law at a very early age, and rose rapidly to the head of his profession. He has held many responsi­ble offices in his adopted state, being twice elected Speaker of the House of Representa­tives, and twice President of the state Senate. He served 6 years as member of Congress from the third district in N. H. In 1845 he was a candidate for the United States Senate, but was defeated by John P. Hale, whose political views were more in accordance with the public sentiment in New Hampshire than his. For a number of years past he has devoted himself entirely to his profession, and ranks with the most able advocates in his state.




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         979




whose portrait appears in this number.




One of the most noticeable farms in the excellent grazing town of Concord is "Maple Grove," the residence of Capt. John M. Darling, one of the early settlers of that town. The fine orchards and magnificent groves of maple trees he early planted have long been admired and have attracted the attention of every one visiting that locality. The worthy Captain, now in his 81st year, still lives* to enjoy the fruits of his labor, and though thus advanced in age retains to a remarkable degree the intellect, strength and ambition of his early manhood. His noble wife died in the full belief and hope in Christ, May 14, 1862, after living with him in Concord over 56 years. As I believe a brief sketch of his life will not be without interest, and is appropriate to this work, I will narrate a few facts, such as have come under the notice of all his large circle of friends, and will also glean some dates and items of his early life from his manuscript autobiography, written when in his 78th year, for and at the request of his son, Geo. B. Darling, of Boston.

John M. Darling was born in Surry, N. H., Nov. 8,1782. For his education and thorough knowledge of military science he was greatly indebted to his father, Rev. David Darling, a graduate of Rhode Island College, at Prov­idence, now called Brown University. At the age of early manhood, being ambitious and wishing to carve out a home and name for himself, he formed his plans to go to the far North, as it was then called. He left Keene, N. H., in the spring of 1805, with the intention of purchasing land for a permanent residence in the North. He arrived at Con­cord, on his land-hunting expedition, the 6th of June, and put up with Oliver Cutting, who was from Athol, Mass., and had before purchased and was already settled in his new home. After looking about for a short time he purchased about a mile from Mr. Cutting's, and commenced chopping on his land im­mediately. Of his first day's experience he says: "I commenced work alone, yet not alone, as I had hardly cut a bush before millions of midgets, black flies and musqui­tos were there to keep me company. Being unused to them, it seemed for a time that they would devour me. I however steadily worked on, but not unmindful of their presence." In about three weeks he had fallen 7 acres, and engaging Mr. Cutting to set fire to his chopping when dry, he returned to Keene. In the autumn of the same year he made another journey to Concord, cleared off his land and built a log house ready to accommodate his future fam­ily. He now having a house, farm and pair of steers, went back to his native town for a wife. He was married Feb. 12, 1806, to Salome Reed, a daughter of Hines Reed, a Revolutionary hero, and grand-daughter of Gen. James Reed of Fitchburg, Mass. He soon started for his new home, bringing his goods on a wagon, which was the first one that ever came into the town of Concord. For the want of roads he could only get within about four miles of his farm, the remaining distance being by marked trees.

On the 10th of March, 1806, he reached his new home and began life in earnest, con­siderably in debt, 125 miles from his old home and friends,—and in a wilderness is certainly a life in earnest. Of his own account of his first day's housekeeping he says: "After building a good fire in one corner of our house upon some flat stones, placed there for the purpose, and pouting about for a while we aroused ourselves and went to work putting our things in order, and before night our cabin looked like a little parlor." We now pass over an interval of years of strug­gle with hard times and cold, backward seasons, and look again upon his farm bearing a more cultivated aspect, and with his chil­dren arising around him, which arouses new aspirations and new wants. Schools are needed and a nucleus of society must be formed, and his energies are devoted to that purpose. After the usual amount of talk with neighbors, they have a bee and a log school-house rises out of the primeval forest, and the few children of the neighborhood gather there for instruction. But his ener­gies do not end here; a town must have a meeting-house, and in 1816 the large church that stands now as a memento of times past, at the corner was built; and, although not in affluent circumstances, we find the name of John M. Darling with those of Hon. Aza­rias Williams, Cornelius Judevine, and one or two others as instigators and perfecters of


* This paper was written in 1864. Capt. Darling died after a few days illness, Feb. 28, 1866.




980                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


the project, and that Capt. Darling con­tributes liberally and does everything in his power to further the design and interests of the society of which he and his wife were members. Soon comes the need of a more thorough system of education than the dis­trict school, and we find him also with a few others, energetic like himself, projecting the plan of an academy; and in this then great and important enterprise we find the Captain engaged with his whole energy, contributing his means and labor in the most liberal man­ner. The result was the completing, in 1823, of the brick academy afterwards known as the "Essex County Grammar School;" and under the instruction of Rev. Samuel R. Hall, became very popular, and did more to build up and populate the town than perhaps any other thing, and the good em­anating from that once flourishing insti­tution is felt through all this section, and many of our most able men date their ed­ucational starting point from it; and at the present time, looking back through the history of that institution, we see the mov­ing, guardian spirit to be that energetic, per­severing man John M. Darling.

He was also the founder of the Sabbath-School in Concord, and was superintendent of the same for more than 25 years, and during that time maintained an interest which was surprising and very beneficial to the church and congregation.

In 1842 a small Baptist society in town wished much to build a church, and laid the plan before him for assistance and advice. Quietly as ever he advises them to build, giving them the land for church and com­mon and contributing largely towards the building. Though, as ever, a Congregational professor, he showed by his liberal spirit that he was willing to aid in all religious and benevolent enterprises. But of the predom­inant traits of his character one is peculiar: he was no office seeker. He would accept no civil offices, but as he fully understood military affairs, he could not well reject a commission, yet always wore it lightly, and though he was very energetic and did much for the military of Vermont, he never sought its offices and emoluments. He accepted a Captain's commission, which he held several years, during which time he brought the mi­litia of Concord up to a high degree of pro­ficiency.

Through his long career of business and usefulness, his many contracts and building mills and machinery, he never had a law suit, and, as far as I know, never a quarrel or arbitration. He was always a friend to the poor and needy, and frequently gave away so much and assisted the poor to such an extent that he gained the censure of a portion of the vicinity, who would appear to think that he assisted them so much that they did not try to help them­selves. But, on the other hand, ask the poor who was ready to lend a helping hand and to whom they poured out their troubles and gained substantial aid and sympathy? Ask them further whom they loved to see at their lowly homes and who received remem­brance in their prayers, and who they be­lieved was a noble man and a true Christian, and their answer would be quickly given.

He always in his leisure moments improved his mind by reading, and accumulated a respectable library and quite a museum of rare and interesting curiosities, and was always ready to lend a helping hand to those trying to obtain an education.

In life he was not unmindful of death, and his family lot in the burying ground is laid out and prepared with a taste not inferior to that displayed in the best cemeteries in the country, upon which he has erected an ele­gant and appropriate monument. We will add, in acknowledgment of the assistance gained from him, especially in writing the natural history of the County, that he al­ways kept a diary, writing a description of all interesting events.

We might speak more of him, but suffice it to say that he and his worthy wife, now gone, have a large circle of friends, as people of their character and standing must have; and it is through their earnest solicitations and his very reluctant consent that his portrait appears at the front of this number, and I speak thus much of him.

We have no great political characters in Essex County, and for our book must select one of our men that has been influential in good works, and though we hope and trust we have had and still have many worthy men, yet we may have none better; none that stands higher in the scale of honor; none that have raised a more energetic family, or none that have done more for the public good. I will venture to express his senti‑




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         981


ments in the following lines, as he would naturally express them in defending his gen­erosity, if assailed:


Who would scorn his humble fellow

      For the coat he wears?

For the poverty he suffers?

      For his daily cares?

Who would pass him in the footway

      With averted eye?

Would you ever? No, you would not.

      If you would, not I.


Who when vice or crime repenteth,

      With a grief sincere,

Asked for pardon would refuse it—

      More than Heaven severe?

Who to erring woman's sorrow

      Would with taunts reply?

Would you ever? No, you would not.

      If you would, not I.


Who would give a cause his efforts

      When that cause is strong?

But desert it on its failure,

      Whether right or wrong?

Ever siding with the upmost,

      Letting downmost lie?

Would you evert? No, you would not

      If you would, not I.


Who would lend his arm to strengthen

      Warfare with the right?

Who reonld give his pen to blacken

      Freedom's page of light ?

Who would lend his tongue to utter

      Praise of Tyranny ?

Would you over? No, you would not

      If you would, not


Who would give as his opinion

      What he knew was wrong?

Ever siding with his patron,

      Making error strong;

Who would give his words to stregthen

      Humbug or a lie?

Would you ever? No you would not.

      If you would, not I.



Of his family, Eliza R. the oldest daughter married Stephen C. Cutting, and has always lived in Concord. She is a kind wife, a noble mother, and a respected member of society.

Fanny, his second daughter, was an intel­ligent, interesting child, died May 1, 1828, in her 15th year. John G., his oldest son, car­ried on the mercantile business at Concord Corner over 27 years, during which time he was postmaster 20 years, and held commis­sions in the militia of Vermont from 1830 to 1860 in almost every capacity from a Lieutenant to Colonel commandant of the 16th Regiment, being the Caledonia. County Regiment, one of the largest, finest and best in the state. During this time he collected a library of about 1200 volumes, and the larg­est museum of curiosities, shells, &c., in this part of the state. He is now a merchant in Boston, also being a partner in the firm of J. G. Darling & Co. of Lunenburgh, Vt. As he is a man of perseverance, sterling integri­ty and fine business capabilities, his removal was greatly regretted by many in the county. James P. his second son, has most of the time resided in Concord. He kept a hotel at Concord Corner, where he now lives, for sev­eral, years, but as he is the owner of an extensive farm he has devoted his time most­ly to agricultural pursuits. Hines R., his third son, was engaged in the mercantile business at Guildhall for several years, and now resides in Boston, where he is engaged in mercantile pursuits. While in Vermont he held commissions in the militia from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Colonel, and was Deputy Sheriff in the county of Essex, most of the time while at Guildhall. George B., his fourth son, went to Boston to live when a youth, is now a respectable merchant in that city, William H., his fifth and youngest son, resides on the old homestead at "Maple Grove;" is an extensive, persevering farmer and active man.




         BY O. W. TURNER.*


Vermont—"The star that never sets"—

Thy genial rays seem brighter yet;

Though distant from my native hills,

Thy fertile vales and murmuring rills;

Though many years have o'er me flown,

Since I could call thy joys my own,

Yet my fond heart will ne'er forget

The hallowed "star that never sets."


Thy wintry scenes have charms for me,

When joyous hearts in concert free,

The social evening hours beguile,

And friendship wears her happiest smile;

Or, when from some propitious height,

Alone at moonlit hour of night;

The scene sublime I'll ne'er forget—

Thou hallowed "star that never sets."


The voice of thy returning Spring

Bids every heart with rapture sing,.

When earliest bluebird skims along,

And redbreast chants his sunset song;

Flocks long pent up now skip with pride

Again upon the mountain side;

No sombre cloud obscures thee yet—

Thou hallowed "star that never sets."



* A native, and for many years a resident of Concord.




982                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


The lowing herds—the wild bee's hum—

Thy far-famed mountain's dappled dome—

The timid cuckoo's plaintive song—

The dasied fields and firefly throng—

Thy sylvan shades and crystal spring,

Bright Summer's cheerful offering—

Cling fondly 'round my memory yet,

Thou hallowed "star that never sets."


Thy sisters never, never shall—

Not e'en Pacific sister Cal—

Eclipse thy radiant, golden beams,

When Autumn nature's pledge redeems;

Thy harvest moon—thy landscape views,

With mellow light and varied hues—

Those rural scenes I'll ne'er forget,

Thou hallowed "star that never sets."


On thy green hills fair Freedom dwells—

No bondman's tears her flame shall quell—

No haughty Southron ever dare

Pursue a panting chattel there—

No hireling of a tyrant's power

The hearts of thy free sons shall cower;

A halo bright surrounds thee yet—

Thou faithful "star that never sets."

NEWTON, MASS., April, 1851.





For the defense of our country, and the suppression of the slaveholders' rebellion, showing the age of each, the time of enlistment, and subsequent history as far as known. Compiled mainly from the reports of the Adjutant General of Vermont, for the years 1864 and 1865.




                                         Date of

NAMES.                    Age.  Enlistment.     Reg't.      Co.  HISTORY.

Adams, Dan                 23  Oct. 28,'61.     Cav.        D     Re-enlisted Dec. 31, '63; pro. Corp.; do. Serj.; must'd out of service June 21, '65.

Aldrich, Harvey B.        19  Aug. 8, '62.     11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, 64; died at Andersonville, Ga., Oct. 20, '64.

Aldrich, Hosea B.         19  Dec. 27, '61.    8             K     Mustered out of service June 22, '64.

Aldrich, John Hoyt       18  Dec. 21, '61.    8             K     Died March 18, '63.

Babcock, Frelon J.        19  June 1, '61.     3             I      Disch'd sick Oct. 22, '62; re-enlisted Aug. 6, '63; pro. Corp; disch'd for promotion in Col'd troops; pro. to Lieut. of 41st U. S. Col'd Reg't.; pro. to Adj.; pro. Capt. Mustered out of service Sept. '65.

Barker, Freeman C.      26  Aug. 8, '62.     11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, '64; died at Andersonville, Ga., Sept. 7, '64.

Barker, Thomas F.        28  Nov. 13, '63.    11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, '64; prisoner at Andersonville, Macon, &c., for five mos.; mustered out of service at close of war.

Berry, Chauncy R.        20  June 1, '61.     3             I      Corp'l; Discharged Jan. 25, '63.

Blancher, George T.      29  July 21, '62.    10           A     Died in service.

Brown, Jacob               31  July 10, '61.    3             K     Discharged Jan. 8, '62.

Brown, Lorenzo            22  Oct. 26, '61.    Cav.        D     Discharged May 19, '62.

Brown, Joseph B.         33  Dec. 16, '63.    11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, '64; died at Andersonville, Ga., Oct. 16, '64.

Burbank, William R.     24  June 1, '61.     3             I      Deserted July 22, '61.

Carbee, James B.          28  July 1, '63.     11           L      Pro. corp.; must'd out Aug. 25, '65.

Carr, Alonzo P.             18  Jan. 24, '62.    10           A     Died Nov. 5, '62.

Carr, Benjamin P.         45     do.              10           A     Transferred to Vet. Res. Corps Apr. 17, '64; mustered out of service July 5, '65.

Carr, William B.           23  Oct. 2, '61.      6             D     Discharged May 28, '62.

Carter, Charles H.        21  June 1, '61.     3             I      Re-enlisted Dec. 21, '63; pro. 1st serj; Tr. to Vet. R. Corps; disch'd Dec 31, '64.

Carter, George H.         38     do.              3             I      Died June 18, '62.

Conant, Henry C.         24     do.              3             I      Corp'l ; Discharged Nov. 19, '62.

Cook, Geo. W.              48  Aug. 6, '62.     Cav.        D     Saddler; transferred to Vet. R. Corps; mustered out of service July 14, '65.

Crane, William B.         45  Aug. 15, '62.   11           A     Musician; disch'd Feb. 27, '65; re-enlisted Mar. 23, '64; mustered out of service July 14, '65.

Congdon, Henry E.       21  Nov. 21, '63.    1st          Bat  Transferred to 2d Bat.; mustered out of service July 31, '65.

Currier, Geo. A.            19  Dec. 19, '63.    2d S. S.   H     Killed at Wilderness May 6, '64.

Dow, Frank E.              27  Aug. 8. '62.     11           A     Disch'd for pro. in Col'd troops Feb. 24, 64.

Drown, George W.        24  Jan. 20, '62.    8             K     Mustered out of service June 23, '64.

Dunton, Henry H.        22  Aug, 22, '62.   4             G     Killed at Wilderness May 5, 64.




                                                   CONCORD.                                                         983


                                         Date of

NAMES.                    Age.  Enlistment.     Regt.       Co.  HISTORY.

Durlam, Consider. F.    19  Oct. 28, '61.    Cav.        D     Died a prisoner at Belle Island Sept. 5, '62.

Durlam, Jonathan S.    38  Dec. 23, '61.    8             K

Drown, Noah jr.           21  Aug. 6, '64.     8             K     Mustered out June 29, '65.

Eastman, Alfred W.       31  Jan. 4, '62.     8             K     Mustered out June 22, '64.

Frye, David M.             22  Dec. 8, '63.     2d S. S.   11    Trans. to Co. 11, 4th Reg't; mustered out July 13, '65.

Gee, Charles                18  Nov. 12, '61.    3             I      Discharged Oct. 13, '64.

Grant, Frank C.           27  Aug. 8, '62.     11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, '64; confined at Andersonville, Macon and other rebel prisons for five months; pro. Corp.; mustered out of service June 24, '65.

Grant, John W.            31  July 29, '62.    11           A     Musician; pro. artificer Sept. 21, '64; mustered out June 24, '65.

Grant, Ira jr.                18  Nov. 7, '63.     11           A     Tr. to Co. D mustered out Aug. 25, '64.

Hale, Charles A.           18  Aug. 8, '62.     11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, '64; died at Andersonville, Ga., Nov. 17, '64.

Hall, William               15  July 11, '62.    10           A     Musician; mustered out June 22, '65.

Hendrick, O. Scott        18  Sept. 24, '62.   Cav.        D     Mustered out of service Nov. 18, '64.

Hendrick, William W.   26  June 1, '61.     3             I      Re-enlisted Dec. 21, '63; pro. Serj.; mustered out of service in fall of '65.

Hill, Albert                   32  Dec. 19, '61.                         Discharged July 5, '62.

Howard, William E.      20  Mar. 29, '64.   17           G     Died a prisoner at Danville, Va., Apr. 6, '65

Ingraham, William C.   29  Dec. 9, '63.     Cav.        F     Missing in action June 29, '64; died a prisoner at Andersonville Oct. 1, '64.

Kennedy, Ronald A.      24  Jan. 1, '61.     3             I      Serj.; Pro. 2d Lt. Co. D Sept. 22, '62; pro. 1st Lt. Oct. 13, '62; pro. Capt. Co. K Jan. 8, '64; pro. Lt. Col. of 5th Vt. Vols. Feb. 20, '65.

Lewis, John D.             18  Aug. 5, '64.     8             K     Died Nov. 16, '64, of wounds received in action Oct. 19, '64.

Lewis, Sumner W.         32  Dec. 4, '61.     8             C     Serj.; reduced; discharged Sept 16, '63.

Longee, Henry H.         21  Mar. 31, '64.   17           G     Pro. Corp. Nov. 13, '64; mustered out July 14, '65.

Morse, Hiram               53  Dec. 22, '63.    10           K     Died in service June 10, '64.

Mooney, Otis C.           18  Dec. 9, '61.     8             K     Re-enlisted Jan 5, '64; deserted May 18, '64.

Moulton, Edward W.     21  Aug. 8, '62.     11           A     Taken prisoner June 23. '64; a prisoner for five months at Andersonville, Mil­ton, &c.; mustered out June 24, '64.

Parker, Moses A.           22  June 1, '61.     3             C     Discharged Sept. 24, '62; re-enlisted in 2d Reg't, Co. H, U. S. S. Aug. 31, '64; transferred to Co. H, 4th Vt. Vols. Feb. 25, '65; mustered out June 19, '65.

Parker, Stephen M.       24  June 1, '61.     3             C     Died Jan. 9, '62, being the first "martyr" from Concord.

Persons, Milo P.            31  Dec. 8, '63.     Cav.        D     Pro. Corp. Dec. 7, '64; pro. Q. M. Serj. May 24, '65; mustered out Aug. 9, 65.

Quimby, Charles          19  June 1, '61.     3             C     Died Nov. 2, '62.

Reed, Lucius S. F.        19  Oct. 3, '61.      Cav.        D     Re-enlisted Dec 31, '63; mustered out of service June 26, '65.

Reed, Nathaniel G.       22  June 1, '61.     3             I      Corporal; reduced to ranks; mustered out of service July 27, '64_

Richards, Lester S.             Aug. 12, '62.   11           A     2d Lt.; pro. 1st Lt. Nov. 2, '63; taken prisoner June 23, '64; confined in dif­erent rebel prisons for five months; resigned May 16, '65.

Rickard, John              18  Nov. 30, '63.    11           A     Mustered out June 23, '65.

Royce, Masson L.         34  Aug. 8, '62.     11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, 64; died in rebel hospital about Dec. 15, '64.

Shehea, Bryon E.         33  Jan. 1, '61.     3             I      Deserted Jan. 20, '63.

Smith, Dan                  19  July 7, '63.     11           M     Pro. Corp.; mustered out Aug. 25, '65.

Southworth, Edwin W.                             Cav.        D     Pro. Corp.; re-enlisted Dec. 30, '63; pro. Serj; mustered out Aug. 9, '65.

Spencer, Loren H.         19  Dec. 13, '61.    8             C     Pro. Corp.; re-enlisted Jan. 5, '64; pro. Serj.; mustered out June 28, '65.




984                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


                                         Date of

NAMES.                    Age.  Enlistment.     Regt.       Co.  HISTORY.

Stacy, Curtis L.            20  Oct. 26, '61.    Cav.        D     Mustered out Nov. 18, '64.

Streeter, Charles          23  July 5, '61.     3             I      Discharged Sept. 12, '61.

Somers, Harvey C.        21  Aug. 2, '64.     17           K     Discharged Jan. 16, '65.

Thomas J. Wellington   18  Jan. 1, '62.     8             K     Discharged July 5. '62.

Tabor John A.              20  June 1, '61.     3             I      Corporal; reduced to ranks  re-enlisted Dec. 21, '63; killed at the battle of the Wilderness May 5, '64.

Whipple, Daniel E.       22      do.             3             I      Deserted July 7, '63; returned to army, March, '65, under proclamation of President.

Whipple, Hiram S.        19  Dec. 9, '61.     8             C     Pro. 2d Lt. La. Vols. Feb. 28, '63.

Whipple, Bradford G.    23  Dec. 8, '63,     Cav.        D     Died March 3, '64.

Willey, Chester S.         25  Nov. 7, '63.     11           A     Taken prisoner June 23, '64; died at Andersonville, Ga., Nov. 25, '64.

Williams, Jacob            31  Dec. 4, '63.     2d S. S.   H     Trans. to Co. H., 4th Vt. Vols., Feb. 25, '65; must'd out of service June 24, '65,

Williams, Hosea B.       18  June 1, '61.     3             C     Pro. Corp; re-enlisted Dec. 21, '63; killed at Spottsylvania May 12, '64.

Woodbury, Charles H.  20      do.             3             I      Pro. Serj. Feb. 20, '64; re-enlisted Feb. 20, '64; pro. 1st Serj. Apr. 1, '65 ; pro. 2d Lt. May 10, '65; mustered out July 11, '65.

Woodbury, Isaac P.       44  Oct. 30, '61.    Cav.        D     Discharged Apr. 6, '62.

Woodbury, John W.      18  Oct. 22, '61.    Cav.        D     Pro. Serj.; re-enlisted Dec. 31, '63; died June 24, '64, of wounds received in an engagement at Nottoway Court House, Va., June 23, '64.





Barker, John C.            40  Aug. 31, '64.   17           K     Mustered out June 2, '65.

Brooks William            35  Sept. 3, '64.    3             A     Discharged June 12, '65.

Carbee, Edward            21  Aug. 20, '64.   11           L      Mustered out June 24, '65.

Chase, Henry M.          19      do,             11           A     Pro. Corp.; mustered out June 24, '65,

Cutting, Oliver B.         26      do.             11           A     Mustered out May 22, '65.

Gale, James R.             26  Aug. 29, '64.   11           A     Discharged Aug. 4, '65.

Griffin, William H.       21  Aug. 24, '64.   11           A     Discharged May 27, '65.

Harroun, Geo. F.                                     Cav.               Killed Nov. 12, '64.

Hibbard Silas H.           25  Aug. 20, '64.   11           A     Mustered out June 24, '65.

Morse Hiram L.            33  Aug. 3, '64.     2d S. S.   H     Tr. to Co. H, 4th Vt. Vols.; mustered out June 19, '65.

Parker, Moses A.           25  Aug. 31, '64.   2d S. S.   H     Mustered out June 19, '65,

Pike, Alphonso             21      do.             2d Bat            Mustered out June 2, '65.

Quimby, Geo. W.          21      do.             17           K     Mustered out June 2, '65.

Richardson Wm. A.                                  17           K     Discharged before reaching the army.

Thompson, Stephen      30      do.             3             A     Mustered out June 19, '65.

Williamson Leslie G.     21      do.             2d Bat            Mustered out July 31, 65.

Woodbury Benj. F.       28      do.             3             A     Mustered out June 19, '65.





Fifteenth Regiment.

Co. D.—Charles W. Cowen, Warner V. Hardy, Thomas H. Noland, deserted; Thom­as Leonard, deserted; Myron Boys.

Co. K.— John C. Barker, Silas H. Gaskell, Harvey S. Gates, William E. Howard, Sam'l H. Kellogg, Michael Laughrey, Horace Matthews, Alexander McQueen, Milo P. Persons, Henry R. Pratt, William C. Pratt, Geo. W. Quimby, Francis F. Story, Nelson G. Wallace, William Williams, Benjamin F. Woodbury,

None of the nine months men were killed in battle or died of disease.




Willard Chase, Curtis Gates, Horace Hast­ings, Valentine C. Hastings, George I. Rig­gings, Wm. W. McGregor, Daniel W. Parker, Daniel Pike, James B. Wallace, Hiram Wil­liams.




Of the three years men the town paid bounties to twenty-one, while the remaining severity received no bounty from the town. The twenty-three one year's men received bounties longing from $500 to $800 each, as will appear by the accompanying account.

The town paid to volunteers in bounties $20,830, as follows:




                                                 EAST HAVEN.                                                       985




John C. Barker, Alexander McQueen, Charles W. Cowen, Samuel H. Kellogg, Geo. W. Quimby, Wm. C. Pratt, Myron Roys, Nelson G. Wallace, Michael Laughrey, Wm. E. Howard, Harvey S. Gates, Warner V. Hardy, Henry R. Pratt, Horace P. Matthews, Francis F. Story, Thomas Leonard, $50 each.

Benjamin F. Woodbury, Wm. Williams, Silas H. Gaskell, $60 each.




Oliver B. Cutting, Henry M. Chase, Silas H. Hibbard, Edward Carbee, Benjamin F. Woodbury, James R. Gale, Alphonso Bow­man, John M. Scales, Peter Trainer, $500 each.

Hiram S. Morse, Stephen Thompson, Geo. F. Harroun, Lester G. Williamson, Alphonso D. Pike, George W. Quimby, Wm. Brooks, $700 each.

Moses A. Parker, Wm. H. Griffin, Holoman Damon, O. Scott Hendrick, $600 each.

John C. Barker, $800.

Elisha May, Edward Potter, frontier cav­alrymen, $100 each.




Henry E. Congdon, Wm. C. Ingraham, Jacob Williams, Bradford G. Whipple, David M. Frye, Milo P. Persons, Joseph B. Brown, Geo. H. Currier, Hiram Morse, Horace W. Cutting, Chester S. Willey, Thomas F. Bar­ker, Ira Grant, jr., Thomas Rickard, Wm. B. Crane, Henry H. Longee, Wm. E. Howard, $300 each.

Harvey C. Somers, Noah Drown, jr., John D. Lewis, $500 each.

A southern recruit, $400.

Of the volunteers from Concord, 91 were three years men, 23 one year men, and 20 nine months men. No one who was drafted entered the service, but ten paid commutation. Eleven of the three years men were re-enlisted veterans, and three others who were discharged for disability, subsequently recovered and re-enlisted. Six of the Concord volunteers were killed in action, and eighteen died while in the service—nine of whom while in rebel prisons.










East Haven, lying in the west part of Essex County, is rather an uneven township, but is well adapted for arable purposes. The Pas­sumpsic river runs through the west part, and there is a high ridge of land through the center of the town, extending from the north to the south line, and the Moose river, which heads on the east side of said ridge, runs south through the east part of the town. Both of the above named rivers are famous for trout, and the vicinity of the Moose river, in years gone by, was famous for hunting the moose and deer and other wild game common in northern Vermont.

The town was chartered by Gov. Chitten­den, Oct. 22, 1790. Of the grantees none ever lived in town. A request having been made to Joseph Heath, of Groton, one of the justices of the peace within and for the County of Caledonia, by the owners of more than one-sixteenth part of the lots of land in the township of East Haven, a proprietors' meeting was called by him Aug. 31, 1810, to be holden in Newark, at the dwelling-house of James Ball, Nov. 15, 1810. At the meet­ing held on that day and the following days, Norris Walter was appointed moderator, and James Whitelaw, proprietors' clerk. Ap­pointed Andrew Lockie a committee to lay out the town into lots of 106 acres each, to be divided into 1st, 2d, and 3d division lots, an equal number to each.

Aug. 6, 1811, the proprietors of East Haven met agreeably to notice and voted to accept of the returns and survey of their committee, and appointed James Ball to draw out the number of lots for each proprietor as the names were called by the clerk, and chose Humes French, collector. At this time there appears to have been but few set­tlers in town. The first settler was John Walter, Jr. He moved into town May 1, 1804; he was born in Winchester, Conn.; came to Vermont 1799, and built the first house in the township, of logs. He married Uneca Blakesley, and they had 14 children, 10 of whom lived to be men and women, and is now living on the same farm where he first commenced. John Walter's wife died March 5, 1848.

The next settler was Norris Walter, brother of John. He moved into town March, 1805. His children's names were as follows: Har­riet, Elam, Merrit, Clarissa S.,—she was the first child born in town—Harlow B., Samuel, Emiline and Ann, the most part of whom settled in town. The next settlers were Blake, Casey and Coalfax, but they did not stop long.