EAST HAVEN. 985
NINE MONTHS MEN.
John C. Barker, Alexander McQueen, Charles W. Cowen, Samuel H. Kellogg, Geo. W. Quimby, Wm. C. Pratt, Myron Roys, Nelson G. Wallace, Michael Laughrey, Wm. E. Howard, Harvey S. Gates, Warner V. Hardy, Henry R. Pratt, Horace P. Matthews, Francis F. Story, Thomas Leonard, $50 each.
Benjamin F. Woodbury, Wm. Williams, Silas H. Gaskell, $60 each.
ONE YEAR MEN.
Oliver B. Cutting, Henry M. Chase, Silas H. Hibbard, Edward Carbee, Benjamin F. Woodbury, James R. Gale, Alphonso Bowman, John M. Scales, Peter Trainer, $500 each.
Hiram S. Morse, Stephen Thompson, Geo. F. Harroun, Lester G. Williamson, Alphonso D. Pike, George W. Quimby, Wm. Brooks, $700 each.
Moses A. Parker, Wm. H. Griffin, Holoman Damon, O. Scott Hendrick, $600 each.
John C. Barker, $800.
Elisha May, Edward Potter, frontier cavalrymen, $100 each.
THREE YEARS MEN.
Henry E. Congdon, Wm. C. Ingraham, Jacob Williams, Bradford G. Whipple, David M. Frye, Milo P. Persons, Joseph B. Brown, Geo. H. Currier, Hiram Morse, Horace W. Cutting, Chester S. Willey, Thomas F. Barker, Ira Grant, jr., Thomas Rickard, Wm. B. Crane, Henry H. Longee, Wm. E. Howard, $300 each.
Harvey C. Somers, Noah Drown, jr., John D. Lewis, $500 each.
A southern recruit, $400.
Of the volunteers from Concord, 91 were three years men, 23 one year men, and 20 nine months men. No one who was drafted entered the service, but ten paid commutation. Eleven of the three years men were re-enlisted veterans, and three others who were discharged for disability, subsequently recovered and re-enlisted. Six of the Concord volunteers were killed in action, and eighteen died while in the service—nine of whom while in rebel prisons.
BY KITEIDGE AND D. C. HUDSON.
East Haven, lying in the west part of Essex County, is rather an uneven township, but is well adapted for arable purposes. The Passumpsic river runs through the west part, and there is a high ridge of land through the center of the town, extending from the north to the south line, and the Moose river, which heads on the east side of said ridge, runs south through the east part of the town. Both of the above named rivers are famous for trout, and the vicinity of the Moose river, in years gone by, was famous for hunting the moose and deer and other wild game common in northern Vermont.
The town was chartered by Gov. Chittenden, Oct. 22, 1790. Of the grantees none ever lived in town. A request having been made to Joseph Heath, of Groton, one of the justices of the peace within and for the County of Caledonia, by the owners of more than one-sixteenth part of the lots of land in the township of East Haven, a proprietors' meeting was called by him Aug. 31, 1810, to be holden in Newark, at the dwelling-house of James Ball, Nov. 15, 1810. At the meeting held on that day and the following days, Norris Walter was appointed moderator, and James Whitelaw, proprietors' clerk. Appointed Andrew Lockie a committee to lay out the town into lots of 106 acres each, to be divided into 1st, 2d, and 3d division lots, an equal number to each.
Aug. 6, 1811, the proprietors of East Haven met agreeably to notice and voted to accept of the returns and survey of their committee, and appointed James Ball to draw out the number of lots for each proprietor as the names were called by the clerk, and chose Humes French, collector. At this time there appears to have been but few settlers in town. The first settler was John Walter, Jr. He moved into town May 1, 1804; he was born in Winchester, Conn.; came to Vermont 1799, and built the first house in the township, of logs. He married Uneca Blakesley, and they had 14 children, 10 of whom lived to be men and women, and is now living on the same farm where he first commenced. John Walter's wife died March 5, 1848.
The next settler was Norris Walter, brother of John. He moved into town March, 1805. His children's names were as follows: Harriet, Elam, Merrit, Clarissa S.,—she was the first child born in town—Harlow B., Samuel, Emiline and Ann, the most part of whom settled in town. The next settlers were Blake, Casey and Coalfax, but they did not stop long.
986 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
John Walter planted the first orchard. The first school-house built in 1832; the first school taught by Betsy Blake. The first marriage was that of Peter Atwood and Harriet Walter, daughter of Norris Walter; first death, Jemima Coalfax; the oldest person deceased in town, John Walter father to John Jr. and Norris Walter; he was 101 years old when he died, Sept. 23, 1848; he had lived in town 7 years previous to his death. John Walter, Jr. is the oldest man now living in town—80 years old.
School District No. 2 was organized in 1845, the school-house built in 1848. There are 30 scholars in District No. 1; in District No. 2, 26, and the average time of school in each district is 6 months in the year. There are two religious societies in town; the Methodist society has 20 members, and the Freewill Baptist, 18; one attorney, H. B. Root; one doctor, botanical, John Walter, Jr.; and one Methodist minister. The first tavern was built in 1848 by K. Hudson. The town was organized July 28, 1845, and the following persons were chosen town officers, viz.: H. W. Belden, town clerk; Russel Horsford, Jeremiah Lund, Aner Clagsdon, selectmen; H. M. Lund, constable.
John Walter was the first representative, and represented
said town in the years of 1845 '46; Abraham Powers in 1847, '48; Horace L.
Walter in 1849; Horace B. Root
in 1850, '51; Jeremiah Lund in 1852, '53; Elam Walter in 1854, '55; Horace L. Walter in 1856 to 1860; D. C. Hudson in 1861.
A post-office was established in 1850, Elijah Avery, first P. M. He held the office 2 years, and D. C. Hudson was appointed in 1852, he held the office 7 years and resigned, and K. Hudson was appointed in 1859, and is the present P. M. The burial-ground was laid out in 1846. The first person buried in it was Uneca, wife of John Walter, Jr. H. B. Root, assistant judge of county court, 1860; H. L. Walter, county commissioner for 1862.
The first saw-mill was built by Joseph Woods. The first settlers in town had to endure many hardships. They had to-go to Lyndon and St. Johnsbury to buy grain, and getting it ground had to fetch it home on their backs. Sometime about 1812 Norris Walter was burned out while himself and wife were gone to Connecticut on a visit. Norris Walier accumulated a large property and left it for his children. The most of them settled in town and are well off.
LEADING TOWN OFFICERS FROM 1845.
1846: M. H. Walter, town clerk; Elam Walter, Manning Walter, M. H. Walter, selectmen; H. L. Walter, constable and collector.
1847: Russell Horsford, town clerk; John Walter, Jr., M. H. Walter, Kitridge Hudson, selectmen ; H. L. Walter, constable.
1848: W. Belden, town clerk; M. H. Walter, C. C. Thurber, Elijah Avery, selectmen; H. L. Walter, constable.
1849: H. W. Belden, town clerk; M. H. Walter, K. Hudson, Jeremiah Lund, selectmen; H. M. Lund, constable.
1850: Horace B. Root, town clerk; Elam Walter, Horace B. Coe, Elijah Avery, selectmen; H. L. Walter constable.
1851: H. L. Walter, town clerk; Elam Walter, Russel Horsford, Nelson Hartwell, selectmen; Russel Horsford, constable.
1852: H. Walter, town clerk; Elam Walter Russel Horsford, Nelson Hartwell, selectmen; Russel Horsford, constable.
1853: D. C. Hudson, town clerk; H. B. Root, Ozra L. Ross, M. H. Walter, selectmen; H. B. Root, constable.
1854: D. C. Hudson, town clerk; O. L. Bass, K. Hudson, James Campear, selectmen; constable, Russel Horsford.
1855: H. L. Walter, town clerk; A. S. Howard, H. L. Walter, H. B. Walter, selectmen; Russel Horsford, constable.
1856: H. L. Walter, town clerk; Manning Walter, M. H. Walter, Russel Horsford, selectmen; D. C. Hudson, constable.
1857: D. C. Hudson, town clerk; H. L. Walter, A. S. Howard, Elam Walter, selectmen; D. C. Hudson, constable.
1858: H. L. Walter, town clerk; Walter, M. H. Walter, A. S. Howard, selectmen; D. C. Hudson, constable.
1859: H. L. Walter, town clerk; H. L. Walter, M. H. Walter, Wm. Smith, selectmen; D. C. Hudson, constable.
1860: D. C. Hudson, town clerk; A. S. Howard, Wm. Smith, H. L. Walter; selectmen; D. C. Hudson, constable.
1861: D. C. Hudson, town clerk; A. S. Howard, H. L. Walter, O. T. Walter, selectmen; D. C. Hudson, constable.
1862: D. C. Hudson, town clerk; H. L. Walter, Wm. M. Smith, O. T. Walter, selectmen; D. C. Hudson, constable.
Present population 200 (July 3, 1862).
VOLUNTEERS FOR THE RECENT WAR.
3rd Regt.: John M. Hudson, Lyman Hudson, Henry McMiller, Elam White, Hollis Coe, Eli Horsford. 8th Regt.: Hanson White. 9th Regt.: Robert Murry, Wm. Murry.
BY LOOMIS WELLS, ESQ.
This town was named, tradition says, in honor of Lord or Earl Granby, and was chartered Oct. 10th, 1761, by King George III, to Elihu Hall and 63 others.* Divided into 70 equal shares, containing by admeasurement 23040 acres, and to be 6 miles square and no more, out of which an allowance was to be made for highways, and unimprovable lands by rocks, ponds, mountains, and rivers, 1040 acres free.
The charter is in the usual form of the Benning Wentworth New Hampshire charters, containing conditions and reservations of no importance to the present inhabitants of the town, since the successful rebellion of the colonists. The "Governor's farm of 600 acres is in the S. E, corner of the town, and the public rights of "Glebe" and "Incorporated Society" are pretty much all that is left to remind the inhabitants—unless one looks at the copy of the charter in the Town C!erk's office—that their homesteads were once English property, and were granted to past generations by the special grace and mere motion of a British king.
Granby is bounded N. E. by Ferdinand and Maidstone, S. E.
by Guildhall, S. W. by Victory, and N. W. by East Haven, in lat. 44° 35´N. and
long. 5° 5´ W., 47 miles N. E. of
The surface of the town is broken and hilly, not to say mountainous. The soil is mostly of the granite order, and is better adapted to, grazing, and the growing of the coarser grains and vegetables, than for wheat and corn, which require the selection of the best fields, and a favorable season; and even then are more or less uncertain crops.
Rocks are abundant, affording an available material for fences; and there are some specimens of interest to the geologist.
Good clay is very scarce, and of minerals nothing of practical importance is known.
The streams too are small. Moose river or Gaswell's
stream, as surveyor Gen. Whiter law calls it, runs across the S. W. corner of
the town, from East Haven to Victory, and two or three of its branches rise in
the southerly slope of Granby. One brook runs easterly through Guildhall to
Of timber the white pine was quite plenty in the north part of the town, but a considerable portion of the best quality has been cut. Spruce and balsam however are abundant, as but a small part of the town has as yet been cleared, and hemlock, tamarack and cedar are found in a few localities. A few elms also are found growing on and near the streams, while maple, birch and beech are the principal varieties of hard wood.
There are no existing indications that the Indians ever
inhabited any part of
Henry Stevens the antiquarian writes, "I have heard Daniel and Levi Hall, early settlers of Barnet, tell of going up Passumpsic, and Moose rivers and through the woods to Nulhegan river, hunting. This was before the settlement of St. Johnsbury, and before and after the Revolutionary war." Perhaps the fact that Elihu Hall, Elihu Hall, Jr., John Hall 5th, Benjamin Hall 2d and Abel Hall were original grantees, makes out probability that these old hunters first ex‑
* GRANTEES OF GRANBY.—Elihu Hall, Joshua Ray, Samuel Mansfield, Thomas Rice, Thomas Ray, Joshua Ray, jr.,, Edward Carter, Elisha Whittlesey, Timothy Barker, Sam'l Baker, John Willowsby, Jonathan Barker, David Hubert, John Hall, 5th, Medad Dudley, Abraham Kimball, Samuel Sharp Beadeel, Elihu Hall, jr., Daniel Hubbart, John Stevens, Nathaniel Parker, Thomas Howell, Francis Wooster, jr., Jonathan Johnson, Joshua Cullen, Jonathan Butterfield, Joseph Atkins, Jesse Parker, Samuel Ives, Jonathan Ives, Samuel Whittlesey, Chauncy Whittlesey, Nath'l Chauncy, Esq., James Drake, Timothy Hardy, John Thompson, Charles Whittlesey, Thebis Doolittle, Eben Ball, John Phillip, Nath'l Merrill, Hezekiah Handet, Ebenezer Hartshorn, James Blanchard, Daniel Warner, Esq., Joseph New, Isaac Cook, Oliver Dudley, Jos. Bartholomy, Benj. Hall, 2d, Abel Hall, Stephen Ives, Stephen Andrus, Philemon Johnson, Andrew Parker, Abraham Parker, Jacob Parker, Gamaliel Parker, Isaac Parker, Didemus Parker, Samuel Parker, James Marks, Jonathan Marks, Joseph Doolittle.