1014 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

the conviction that the church did not uphold and sustain him as it should have done,擁n witness whereof it is a noticeable fact that the church has not, from that day to this, enュjoyed anything like its former prosperity. On leaving Guildhall, Mr. Smith removed to Sebasticook Me., and has since been engaged by the Maine Missionary Society, and held some other agencies.

Says the council, in dismissing Mr. Smith, "We rejoice that, among the reasons assigned why brother Smith's pastoral relation should be dissolved, nothing was presented derogatoュry to his Christian character, or his standing as a minister of the Gospel; and could cheerfully recommend him to the churches of Christ as a faithful, devoted and worthy minister." We had anticipated a sketch of the Methodist society in this town, from some of their number,傭ut learn that we are to be disapュpointed; we are therefore under the positive necessity of omitting the subject altogether.*

 

覧覧覧覧覧覧

 

 

LEMINGTON.

 

BY ARTHUR T. HOLBROOK.

 

Lemington is situated on the Connecticut river, near the N. E. corner of the state; first surveyed by Eben W. Judd in 1786, and conュtained, by admeasurement, 23,040 acres, and about 600 acres have since been annexed from Canaan, making the present area nearly 24,000 acres; bounded N. by Canaan, E. by New Hampshire, S. by Bloomfield, and W. by Averill; chartered in 1762; by Benning Wenthworth, to Samuel Averill and 63 others.

The first proprietors' meeting was held at a place called Matincook, August 3d, 1762, and the first town meeting held March 28, 1796; James Larned chosen moderator; Mills De Forest, town clerk; and Noah Buffington, James Larned and Ward Bailey, selectmen. The surface of the soil is generally pretty rocky and uneven, with the exception of the intervals on Connecticut river.

Monadnoc mountain is situated in this town. Its height has never been exactly ascertained, but is supposed to be about 3000 feet. A great portion of this mountain has been burned over at different times, the fire destroying large quantities of fine spruce and cedar timber. A spring, strongly impregnated with iron and sulphur, issues from the easterly side of this mountain, showing that these minerals exist somewhere in the interior. This spring is considered valuable for its medicinal properties, having proved itself efficacious in several cases of salt-rheum, scrofula, &c.

An extensive view of the surrounding country can be obtained from the summit of the mountain, with the aid of a telescope. A slide from the easterly side of this mountain took place, in the summer of 1805, in the night. It filled a large pond at the foot of the mountain, and afforded a chance for building the county road, which is built over the place that the pond used to occupy. Lewis Smerrage lived on the banks of the Connecticut, at a short distance from the slide at the time it took place. He was so frightened by the tremendous noise made by the great quantities of rocks, trees, &c., which came down from the mountain, that he jumped out of his bed and scrambled under it葉hinking, as he afterュwards said, that the day of judgment had come. The next morning he found his meadow nearly covered with water, which had been forced out of the pond by the slide.

At the present time, pieces of timber may be found among the rocks which came down in the slide. A few years ago Mr. Thomas Holbrook attempted to dig a well in the vicinity of the slide, and after he had dug to the depth of about 6 feet, he came across a huge hemlock log, and was forced to abandon the job.

The early settlers of Lemington had to endure many hardships and privations. They were obliged to carry their grain to Guildhall, 25 miles distant, to be ground. Their chief article of manufacture were salts, which they were obliged to carry to Lancaster, about 36 miles distant, to sell. The first inhabitants were forced to depend partly upon hunting and fishing for a living. Fortunately for them game was abundant. Moose were plenty, and salmon have been caught in the Connecticut that would weigh 20 pounds.

The first framed house was built by Mills De Forest, in 1790, on the site where the house owned and occupied by Abdiel Blodgett now stands. The first saw-mill was built by Mills De Forest in 1795. The first grist-mill, in 1810, by the same person. There are 4 school districts in town with the same number of school-houses; about 60 pupils; average

覧覧

* This church is hereby requested to prepare their history, and send in to the editor of this work in time for insertion in an appendix.勇d.

 

 

 

 

LEMINGTON. LUNENBURGH. 1015

 

attendance, 5 months. The population of' Lemington is 189, and the grand-list is about $600.

The names of the men who have gone from this town to help suppress the rebellion of 1861 are Joseph Watson, Manlius Holbrook, Carlos Willy and Alfred Harris.

 

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

 

Mills De Forest came to this town, from Huntington, Ct., about 1781, and was chosen town clerk at the first town meeting in 1796, and held the office for many years afterwards. He was also chosen representative several times, and died in 1844, aged 79 years.

 

LEWIS SMERRAGE

 

came to Lemington, from Connecticut, in 1787, remained in town two or three years, and then enlisted in the British service, where he remained for nearly two years. He at length became weary of a soldier's life, and, in company with a fellow soldier, resolved to escape if possible. They were at this time stationed at Quebec, and a favorable opporュtunity soon presenting itself, they passed the British lines undiscovered, crossed the St. Lawrence in a boat and fled to the woods. After a great deal of suffering and a variety of hair-breadth escapes, Smerrage arrived in safety at Lemington, where he resided until his death, which took place Feb. 16, 1856, aged 86 years.

 

JOHN HUGH

 

came to this town in 1786, from Maidstone. He lived in Lemington several years, and then moved to Canaan, where he remained until his death. His brother, Samuel Hugh, came to this town in 1800. In 1814 Samuel Hugh, in company with several others, went in pursuit of some men who were driving cattle from Vermont to the British. Hugh's party overtook the men just as they reached the boundary line between Vermont and Canada, and ordered them to desist and let the cattle go back, which they refused to do, whereupon some of Hugh's party fired on them and killed a man by the name of Morュrill and wounded one or two others. The rest of them retreated and Hugh's party drove the cattle back. About two months after the events above narrated occurred, a party of Canadians (among them the brother of the man that was shot) came out secretly from Canada and surrounded the dwelling-house of Hugh about midnight. At a given signal the windows of the home were broken in, and the party rushed into the house and made Hugh a prisoner, and carried him to Canada, where he was confined about a year, when he was tried for murder and acquitted on the ground that Morrill was engaged in unlawful business, 1862.

 

覧覧覧覧覧

 

LUNENBURGH.

 

BY HON. JONAH BROOKS.

 

Situated in the southeasterly part of Essex Co., Lat. 44ー 28', Long. 50ー 15', bounded N. W. by VIctory, N. E. by Guildhall, S. E. by Connecticut river, S. W. by Concord, and opposite Dalton and Lancaster, N. H. Chartered July 5, 1763, by Benning Wentworth, governor of the New Hampshire colony, to David Page, Gustavus Swan, Jona. Sanderson, Charles Mann, Ephraim Stockwell, Charles Baker, Eben'r Hartshorn, Wm. Wood, Ivory Holland, Stephen Fransworth, William Kimpland, John Page, William Bigalow, David Towle, Philip Goodridge, John Darling, John Pierce, Abner Newton, Seth Oaks, Levi Sylvester, Caleb Wood, Walter Fairfield, Timothy Whitney, Johnathan Moulton, Samuel Gates, Zebediah Rodgers, Samuel Rodgers, Timothy Rodgers, James Wheeler, Simon Houghton, Henry Merchant, James Shephard, Joab Miles, Dennis Sacklin, Henry Sartwell, Benj. Chandler, Oliver Robinson, David Twitchel, Joel Grout, Joseph Nath'l Wilder, Samuel Sleeper, Geo. Juffrey, James Shephard, Samuel Martin, John Goffe, Esq., John Sweat, John Clark, Green, Stephen Boynton, Thomas Lord, John Blunt, Jona. Grout, Cyrus Whitcomb, David Sanderson, John Richardson, John Curtis, Israel Jenison, Ezek. Howe, Jos. Kelly, David West, Hugh Giles, Hon. Nath'l Barrett, Esq., Theo. Atkinson, Jr., Esq., Wm. Temple, Esq., John Nelson, Esq., Capt. Jona. Carlton, Joseph Blanchard, Esq., Richard Jennis, Esq., divided into 74 shares, the grantor securing 500 acres for his right. The first settlement made in this town was in the N. E. part (and is now in Guildhall) in 1764, by David Page, Timothy Nash, George Wheeler. The first settlers suffered severe privations for a numュber ef years. They brought their grain and provision from Northfield, Mass., in canoes, a distance of more than 150 miles; and, during the Revolutionary war, they were in continual alarm, and frequently annoyed by the Indians and tories, who killed their cattle,

 

 

 

1016 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

plundered their houses, and carried a number of the inhabitants into captivity.

It is difficult to determine when the first settlement was made in the present limits of the town, but probably as early as 1768 by Uriah Cross, Thos. Gustin and Ebenezer Rice, who made their log huts near the bank of Connecticut river, where game and fish were most easily obtained. Moose and deer were plenty, and salmon, at the head of the 15 miles falls, were caught with but little trouble in the night with torch and spear; some weighing 40 pounds have been taken by the first settlers.

The land in this township lies in swells, running back from the Connecticut river to the west, where it rises in a range of hills near Victory line. The most noted is Mount Tug, probably deriving its name from the difficulty of going over it. The timber on the high lands is generally hard wood; in the low, mostly hemlock and spruce. On the interュvals and plains on the Connecticut river the timber originally was white pine. The first settlers on these broad and productive meadュows, in clearing their lands, would haul these huge trees to the bank and roll them into the river, congratulating themselves that they had so easy a way of getting rid of them, never dreaming that such timber as they were floating down stream would be worth from 30 to 40 dollars a thousand, and that one tree would sell for more than they gave for their lot of land.

Connecticut river waters the southeasterly part of the town. Its other waters are Neal's pond, about one mile from the center of the town, a beautiful sheet of water a mile long and half a mile wide. Neal's brook, Catbow brook and Mink brook are considerable mill streams, and all of them have mills located on them. The land is generally good and productive, though in some parts of the town there are more stones than is convenient for farming purposes, but through the perseverュance and industry of the farmers are made productive. The first settlers endured all the hardships and perils incident to pioneers in the wilderness, but they were men and women of indomitable wills that could not be discouraged, and an energy and industry that was sure to overcome all obstacles, and they taught their children "to follow in their footsteps," and the town is now occupied by enterprizing farmers who are yearly improvュing their farms.

 

From the Town Records:

 

"Whereas the inhabitants of Lunenburg, in the County of Orange and State of Verュmont being destitute of any form of governュment to act as a town, we, the inhabitants of said Lunenburg, do think proper to form a warrant by the major part of said town, dated the 5th of September, 1781, to meet at the Dwelling House of Mr. Reuben Howe, in Lunenburg, on the 11th of September, instant, at two clock P. M., to act on the following articles, viz:

1ly, to chose a moderator to govern said meeting.

2d, to chose a town clerk, selectman and constable.

3d, to chose a town treasury and committee of inspection.

4th, to chose a representative for this present year.

5th, to chose a Justice of the peace and to act on any other matter thought necessary at said meeting

Lunenburg the 5th September, 1781,勇benezer Rice, David Hopkinson, Eliezer Rosebrook, Simon Howe, Thomas Gustin, Reuben Howe, Uriah Cross."

"Pursuant to the above warrant the freemen of said Lunenburg met and chose Ebenezer Rice, moderator; David Hopkinson, Jr., town clerk; Eliezer Rosebrook, Ebenezer Rice and Simon Howe, selectmen, Thomas Gustin, constable; George White, Simeon Howe and Uriah Cross, committee of inspection; Reuben Howe, representative; and Ebenezer Rice, justice of the peace. Dec. 18, 1781,Eleaュzer Rosebrook, moderator,遊oted to pay their rates this year, and chose David Hopュkinson, Jr., Reuben Howe and Ebenezer Rice for listers; and voted to send a petition to the General Assembly, desiring them to establish the bounds of Lunenburg and Guildhall, according to Capt Neal's survey. Lunenュburg, 18 December, 1781, per me,

DAVID HOPKINSON, Town Clerk.

NOTE. Neal's survey is the present boundary between Lunenburg and Guildhall."

 

"March 19th, 1782, voted to raise eleven pounds, to be paid in wheat, at six shillings per bushel, to hire preaching."

 

A destructive fire occurred in the village on July 13, 1849, commencing about noon in, a barn of Geo. W. Gates. There had been no rain for a number of weeks, and fires were raging in the woods in all directions, and only a spark seemed to be necessary to ignite any thing combustible. In a few minutes Mr. Gates' buildings, including barns, sheds and dwelling-house, were in flames, which communicated to the Congregational meeting-house, town-house, tavern and out buildings owned by Silsby & Brooks, and occupied by Wm. Morse, and two barns and shed owned by Edmund Powers. The Methodist chapel,

 

 

 

LUNENBURGH. 1017

 

the store of N. W. French, a number of dwelling-houses and other buildings were on fire at different times; but by the exertions of the men and women of the place, those before mentioned were the only ones totally destroyed. The loss was estimated at from $10,000 to $15,000. Amount of insurance $2,000 on G. W. Gates' buildings, and $100 to N. W. French妖amage to store and goods. The meeting and town-houses were nearly new and were rebuilt the following year. A cottage has since been built on the site of the mansion of Mr. Gates; but the tavern, to the discomfort and vexation of travelers and the frequent mortification of some of the good citizens of the town, has never been rebuilt.

This town, like all others, has its tales of heroism, and the following is one of them: During the war of 1812 and '13 the only direct public road from Caledonia County to Canada line passed through this town, crossed into Lancaster, and up the Connecticut through Coos County. The "young republic" was then terribly agitated by war and politics; and, as at the present, there were those who favored, and those who bitterly opposed the policy of the administration and the war. The latter party sought every opportunity to smuggle cattle and goods into Canada to supply the British army. A certain Mr. C., of great notoriety for being the "grandson of Judas,"預nd who possessed the virtues of the old parent用urchased 40 head of cattle in Caledonia County, and had driven them to within a mile of the "Line" when customュhouse officer B覧, with a posse of men, suddenly deprived him of them and headed them towards Caledonia again. He arrived here at night and put up at the only tavern, kept by Judge Gates, and the cattle were turned into a "back lot" and 20 men placed to watch them. At midnight up drove Mr. C., with 40 men with him, for the cattle. The loyal landlady, fearing there would be trouble with her guest, immediately dressed him in her "gown and bonnet," and throwing a shawl over her own head they walked through the crowd who were after him to W's, where he was secreted. They soon left searching for him, and scoured the farm in the darkness for the cattle; meanwhile these that were stationed to watch sallied through the town for help. Lieutenant W. was stationed at Concord as a recruiting officer, who had at the time 20 recruits, and a man was despatched for them. They arrived in sight at daylight, and saw so many men and heard so much noise that they loaded their guns and rode to the rescue. The owner had found his cattle and got them headed toュwards Lancaster, and our townsmen had completely blockaded the road. The officer now came forward and took command. Clubs were called into use in pelting the cattle, to drive them over each other. After pelting, "jawing" and yelling a while the cattle broke over the fence and ran for the woods. Some settled their politics by "wrestling," and the one that could "throw" was right, others by jawing, and a little Frenchman took his opponent, a man of 180 pounds, astride his neck, run with him several rods, rolled him the "longest way" down a bank, and left his politics head down and heels up beside a stone wall. The owner finding that it was of no use, threatened vengeance and retired. The officer took the cattle and the governュment sustained him.

50 years ago, in the N. E. part of the town, a road led through a thick wooded and swampy piece of land for about a mile and a half on the west bank of the winding Conュnecticut. A young man was passing over this road on horseback, and when about half way through the woods, a very large, feroュcious looking grey wolf bounded into the road beside the horse, which frightened the horse, and very much surprised the rider. The horse was at once put to his best speed, and the wolf bounded in pursuit, and soon came up beside the horse and made a spring at the rider, and caught hold, of his overcoat, and tore a piece out. The wolf continued the pursuit through the woods and the young man rode up to the first house, very much frightュened, but otherwise not injured, his overcoat not faring quite so well, as that showed some rents.

The wolf chase was soon known through this section of the country, and as usual in such cases, there was a variety of opinions, and a great deal said about it, and while this talk and these different opinions were freely given, and said, the mail carrier arrived at the same woods on his old horse (the mail in those days was carried on horseback once a week), when the wolf made a dash at him as though he was determined to have the carュrier or the mail, but through good fortune or the speed of the horse they both came out

 

 

 

1018 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

safe, It finally was considered unsafe for any one to pass over the road after dark, as very many were chased by the wolf, and more or less frightened, but none seriously injured.

At length the old hunters in town concluded to make hot work for the wolf, and arranged that they would, two of them, go every night through the woods well armed until they had got his hide and the bounty for his head, or he had left the town. The first night Jacob Emerson and Jedediah Howe were seュlected to parole through the woods. They took their long hunting guns, well loaded with ball and buckshot, and passed up over the road, and back with the greatest caution, but had seen nothing of the wolf; and as it had got to be well along in the night, they began to think they had spent the night in the cold for nothing, when they heard a noise in the bushes on the bank of the river. One of them brought his gun to his shoulder (the moon was obscured by a cloud), he could see some animal on four legs, and of course it must be the wolf,揺e fired, and the wolf stood its ground. When the other brought his gun to his shoulder ready to fire, the moon shone out bright, and the smoke had cleared up, when the one who had fired got a better view and cried out, "hold on, the wolf has got horns." They had shot a cow (that belonged to a poor man who lived near the river) that had gone to the river to drink. They had to butcher the cow, and buy another to replace it. But the wolf never was heard or seen again in this region, undoubtedly believing it was best for his hide to go to parts where there were less persevering hunters, and whenever either of these old hunters, after this exploit, told their great hunting stories to their less valiant neighbors, they were sure to be inquired of in relation to hunting hornュed wolves.

This town has, for several years past, taken a deep interest in the subject of common school education. Mr. Burnham, when state superintendent, held (as he said) "one of his most successful Institutes "here, having nearュly 80 teachers present. Our worthy Secretaュry, Mr. Adams; has held two Institutes here, and he says of them in his last report: "Esュsex County stands second to none in the state, for the cordial, and general encouragement which she has always shown to the Instiュtutes." Teachers' associations and convenュtions for public discussion, are a prominent characteristic of the people.

 

Statistics of the past school year:

No. of scholars in town, 400

No. of teachers employed through the year, 15

Amount paid for teachers' wages, 470

No. of weeks school, 170

No. of school districts in town, 9

 

We generally employ female teachers; only two male teachers are employed this year. We have some excellent good school-houses; and some "excellent poor ones."

 

PHYSICIANS,

 

who have resided in the town of Lunenburgh: Dr. Nath'l Gott, who came into town at a very early date, was town clerk in 1784, and had previously been employed as surgeon in the Revolutionary army, at the hospital in Cambridge, Mass.; Dr. T. Wilson, Daniel Egery, Theron Webb, Thomas Wright, T. Lane, Albert Winch, 覧 Bullock, Seneca Sargent, C. W. Caulkins, M. S. Leach, T. T. Cushman, J. A. Raymond, George Vincent, Marcus Ide.

 

ATTORNEYS,

 

who have resided in this town: Levi Barュnard, Reuben Grout, Turner Stevenson, Wm. Heywood, Titus Snell, John Dean, 覧 Dickiman, Reuben C. Benton.

 

LUNENBURGH'S ROLL OF HONOR

 

Capt. John S. Clark, Lieut. George F. French, Marshall W. Wright, Miron C. Newton, Otis C. Mooney, Levi H. Parker, William E. Chase, Charles H. Chancey, Warren E. Vance, Charles Presby, Chauncy M. Snow, John C. Phillips, Eben Pond, Martin J. Pond, Solon Simands, Ezra S. Pierce, Milo Sanders, Rosson O. Sanders, George H. Downer, George Drowne, Aaron Drowne, Charles Drowne, John Olcott, George. W. Hill, William H. Jewell, James S. Hartwell, Sylvester Hartwell, George Adams, Wesley H. Day, Charles Cheney. Nelson Cheney, Thomas McQuade, Charles H. Cole, Artimus Pierce, Brainard T. Olcott, John F. Carleton, Alanson K. Ramsdell, Daniel Ball, Selden Blakeslee, Eldin J. Hartshorn, Holomon Damon, Joseph T. Gleason, Merrick Phelps, Mitchell Bowker, Alden Balch, Arthur H. Dean, Frederick F. Dewey, Jr., Barzilla Snow, Alonzo D. Parker, Levi A. Ball, Sheldon L. King, Benjamin W. Isham, Frederick Phelps, George Chauncy, Henry Ball, Lewis Thomas.

 

The above list include all that enlisted to the expiration of the nine months men time. The town has answered all calls, and has credit at this time.

 

 

 

LUNENBURGH. 1019

 

METHODIST CHURCH.

 

BY REV. M. BULLARD.

 

The first Methodist class was formed in Luュnenburgh, in 1800, but it does not appear on the minutes of the conference until 1802. It was then included in the New England conュference, New Hampshire district, and the class formed was united as a charge with Lancaster, N. H. The first preacher was Thomas Branch, stationed at Lancaster, and it remained conュnected with Lancaster until 1832. There was no minister during this time stationed at Luュnenburgh, but there was occasional preaching in the school-houses and groves in town. During this time John Broadhead, Joseph Crawford, E. R. Sabin, Elijah Hadding, Marュtin Bates, Solomon Sias, and David Kilburn, led the work in this vicinity, and their names will ever be cherished as pillars to the church in this section. Those men with many others under their charge were active, zealous men, and labored hard to pull down the works of evil, and establish good will and holiness in the place thereof, yet not always with sucュcess. They labored much on their own exュpense, and boldly faced all opposition, and though never shipwrecked like Paul, were once or twice some of them put into Connectュicut river by a mob. They being on the side of justice and right, in the end prevailed over all obstacles, and established many societies and churches, which have since cast an influュence for good throughout the land. In 1832 New Hampshire and Vermont were set off inュto a conference by themselves, under the name of the New Hampshire Conference.

Lunenburgh was in Plymouth district and became fully established as a church, with Amasa H Houghton, minister in charge. In 1833, N. O. Way was appointed to Lunenュburgh, and as he had a family it was necessaュry that he should have a place to live. No house could be obtained for him in the vilュlage, and there seemed to be a feeling among some against his coming into the town; but at length a place about two miles from the vilュlage was obtained for him and he there movュed his family and commenced his labors upon this charge. But the inconvenience was such that the Methodist society became aroused, and a house for a parsonage was purchased for $300. Willard King was one of the most active members, and mainly through his energy in circulating the subscription paper, this result was brought about. The return of members for this year was 111. In 1834 and '35, G. F. Wells was minister in charge, and returns 90 members. In 1836, E. Kellogg, minister, 103 members ; in 1837, E. G. Page, minister, 92 members; in 1838, C. Olin, minュister, 98 members; in 1839, L. Hill, minister, 109 members.

Previous to this time, the meetings of the Methodists had been held in school-houses, barns, and even in the open field, but now opposition became so great that it was almost impossible to get permission to use a barn or a school-house for their meetings, and especially was this true in the vicinity of the village, as there seemed to be a feeling or desire among many to crush them down to the dust. Many times opposition is the key to success, and it in this cases seemed to arouse the energies of the church and set them to obtaining means for building a chapュel. Again we find Willard King, together with Levi Bowker, Wm. Morse, and Geo. W. Gates foremost in the enterprise. Mr. K. again canvassed the town for subscriptions, and though not succeeding as well as they might wish, they decided to build a large and commodious church. They shrunk not from the burden and responsibility; and although it rested heavily upon them, they bore it with Christian fortitude, and now have a convenュient house for the worship of God. There was also a subscription started for a bell, and to their great joy succeeded, and the bell was bought and placed in the belfry of their chapュel. From this time they kept up their church and meetings, and have had a fair share of the influence and prosperity of the town. Like all churches, they have had trials and opposers; yet, as in all cases, opposition is an incentive to action; and they have been found equal to the emergencies, and have exュercised a great and good influence over the community. From this time the preachers in charge have been as follows:

In 1840, E. Petingill, 74 members擁n 1841, 94 members; in 1842, Leonard Austin, 126 members; in 1843, Gary B. Houston, 156 members,葉his year the parsonage first bought was exchanged for one about a half mile north of the village, which they now own; 150 dollars was paid by the society for the exュchange. In 1844, Gary B. Houston, 196 members擁n this year the conference district was divided, the dividing-line being the Conュnecticut River, and this town was put in Dan‑

 

 

 

1020 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

ville district of the Vermont conference. In 1845, D. S. Dexter, 135 members擁n 1846, 150 members: in 1847, J. Whitney, 125 members擁n 1848, 114 members; in 1849, Jas. S. Spinney, 105 members擁n 1850, 103 members; in 1851, Joseph Enright, 102 members; in 1852, Samuel H. Colburn, 102 members擁n 1853, 107 members; in 1854, Abner Howard, 122 members; in 1855, Wm. B. Howard, 122 members擁n 1856, 107 members; in 1857, Edwin W. Parker, 113 members擁n 1858, to March 1st, when he went as missionary to India, and from that date to the end of the conference year, D. C. Babcock, 125 members; in 1859, C. D. Ingraham, 129 members擁n 1860, 173 members; in 1861, M. Bullard, 194 members擁n 1862, 152 members.

 

M. E. SABBATH SCHOOL.

 

In 1839, Rev. Lewis Hill, then laboring here, founded a sabbath school, obtaining a few books for a library, and quite a large number of scholars. Geo. W. Gates was chosen superintendent; after he had served sevュeral years the preacher in charge served as superintendent until 1857, when Sylvester Dustin was chosen; and in 1858, James Bowker; in 1859, Daniel Snow; in 1860, H. A. Cutting; in 1861, Daniel Snow; in 1862, L. B. Farnham.

The school has been unusually prosperous, and they now have a large library and an interesting school. The greatest number of attendants was in 1860, when they numberュed 126 regular scholars.

 

BAPTIST CHURCH.

 

BY REV. A. J. WALKER.

 

For several years after the settlement of this township, very few Baptists resided withュin its limits. No particular influence was exerted by the denomination until 1805. In this year, Mr. Enoch Thomas, with his famiュly, moved from Middleborough, Mass., settled in the south part of the town Mr. Thomas, his wife, and two children were members of the Baptist church in that place, and were well established in the doctrines of their church. They had learned to meditate as well as read; and did not find, either in the language and acts of Jesus Christ, or the writings of his word, permission to unite their influence with those who, in their judgment, neglected to observe any of the commands or ordinances given by the "GREAT HEAD" of the church. Living somewhat remote from any meeting, and impressed with the duty, they commenced a meeting in their own house. Missionaries of the same order, employed by the Home Missionary Society, often came along and preached to those who met, the word of life; and a few other persons, who were members of Baptist churches, moved into town, and the interest increased from year to year, until in 1810 the matter of organizing a Baptist church became a subject of remark and prayュer. About this time Rev. Barnabas Perkins came out and commenced laboring with them. Elder Perkins still held his charge as pastor of the church in Danville and made it his home there; but labored as a missionary of the Danville Association in part with this people, and a number were converted. Letters dated Feb. 9th, 1811, were issued inviting brethren from the Baptist churches in Littleton and Lancaster, N. H., and Danville, Vt., to visit them on the 6th day of March ensuing, to consult with them about organizing a church. Rev. B. Perkins and Rev. A. Fisher, from Danville, Rev. S. Churchill, Dea. S. Douglass, B. White, from Littleton, S. Springer, L. Stockwell, from Lancaster, met the brethren and sisters in Enoch Thomas' house. Rev. B. Perkins, moderator, Rev. S. Churchill, clerk, were chosen;預nd after the usual preliminaries and forms, the moderator giving the right-hand of fellowship to them as a sister church, the charge to the church given by Rev. S. Churchill, and the benediction by Rev. S. Churchill, in the morning. In the P. M. the services were continued, and an appropriate sermon was preached by Rev. B. Perkins, from Matt. v. 14: "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid."

The church at the time of its organization consisted of nine members viz. Enoch Thomas, Jonathan Thomas, Barzilla Snow, Abel Johnson, Chester Smith, Mary Thomas, Betsy Snow, Roby Johnson, and Caty Smith. Jonah Edson, and his wife Elizabeth Edson, very soon united by letter, and 8 more joined in 1812. Of these, one, Mr. Clark Chickering, was subsequently ordained and became the first settled pastor of the church. He was ordained January 7th, 1818 Ministers and delegates came to the council from Bethlehem, Pealing, St. Johnsbury, Waterford, Craftsbury, Coventry and Danville. Rev. Silas Davidson preached the ordination sermon; Rev.

 

 

 

LUNENBURGH. 1021

 

Nathaniel Bolls made the ordaining prayer; Rev. John Saunders gave the right-hand of fellowship; Rev. Daniel Mason gave the charge; Dea. Abial Fisher made the closing prayer. Silas Davidson, moderator; David Mason, clerk.

Among the names of ministers which appear on the church records, are Tripp, Houghュton, Perkins, Mason, Nelson, Ball, Fisher, Mitchell, Davidson, Kingsbury, Chamberlain, Clark, Butler, Evans, Bedell, and Huntley. Several of these, as well as others who only labored with this people for a short time, have already laid off the "earthly tabernacle" and their spirits await the resurrection of the body擁n the paradise of God. More than 30 of the members of the church, who have died in faith, have had their bodies borne to the grave in this town. Others have been buried elsewhere. The principal revivals which have been enjoyed have occurred durュing the labors of Perkins, Alden, and Chamュberlain. Perkins enjoyed revival influences at commencement of his labors, and 8 were added. Alden labored a full year with no revival influence, but 20 were added as the result of his labors. Chamberlain was a good pastor, did much out of the pulpit; and durュing his labors, as much revival influence was enjoyed as under any pastor with whom the church has yet been blessed. Elder Davidュson was a nursing father to the church. Rev. E. Evans was pastor of the church 9 years,揺e labored hard and had many trials. The church enjoyed revival influences from time to time during his pastorate, and quite a numュber were connected with the church. He is much beloved by the church, and has proved himself a faithful minister. The church has often been without a preacher, but have nevュer failed to have regular worship on the Lord's day. The first deacons were Enoch Thomas and Barzilla Snow,葉heir present deacons are Enoch Thomas (son of the former deacon) and George Gleason. The church have built two meeting-houses, have paid larger sums for the support of the gospel at home and abroad, than other churches in this vicinュity of similar means. The whole number of members who have united with the church is 180. The present number of members is 60. The present pastor is A. J. Walker. The discipline of the church has been well mainュtained, and the church has prospered pecuniaュrily,擁s well united, and the congregation and sabbath school are larger than for some years past. There was a jubilee sermon preached by H. J. Campbell, of Lancaster, last year, the 60th year of its history.

 

SAMUEL GATES

 

was one of the first settlers of Lunenburgh. He was the second son of Silas and Lavina Gates, whose family consisted of nine children, four of whom were boys severally named Silas, Samuel, William and John. Samuel was born at Marlborough, Mass., Aug. 16, 1790, where he spent his youthful days amid the mutterings of that terrible storm which so soon burst upon the colonies葉hus deeply imbuing his whole being with that patriotic ardor, which characterized his after-life. Alュthough he was but a lad of 15 years of age, when the war of Revolution broke out, he at once offered himself as a volunteer, thereby manifesting his patriotism and hatred of opュpression. His first term of service was for two months, in Colonel Ward's regiment, under Capt. Daniel Barnes. On the expiraュtion of his term of enlistment in 1776, he reュenlisted in the same company for one year, during which he was present at the evacuaュtion of Boston by the British, on the 17th of March謡as then ordered to New York, and witnessed the battle on Long Island, his regiュment not participating in the engagement. On the 28th of October, Mr. Gates was one of the valiant band that so signally repulsed the British at White Plains. In 1777, his term of enlistment having expired, he for the third time offered his services to his bleeding counュtry, and entered his old company耀till under Capt. Barnes佑ol. Bedell commanding the regiment. Soon after the regiment was ordered from its old headquarters at Worcester, Mass., to Saratoga to aid in arresting the progress of the British under Gen. Burgoyne. Here on the plains of Stillwater our hero again found himself and comrades opposed to the enemies of their country, and participated in that bloody fight which sent the vaunting redcoats back to their own borders.

During the winter of 1777 and '78 he with his regiment were quartered at Valley Forge, where he endured, in common with his fellow Patriots, those terrible sufferings from hunger and cold which no pen can ever describe, yet must ever be memorable in the history of our country. After the battle of Monmouth, in which he took part, he went with his companュions to Rhode Island, where the brigade to

 

 

 

1022 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

which his regiment was attached was ordered預nd at the expiration of his term of service, was honorably discharged. It is quite reュmarkable, that in all the hard fought battles in which he was engaged he never received a wound.

In 1781 Mr. Gates married Lucretia Wilュliams of his native town, and in 1783, seeking for himself and family a home, he moved to Lunenburgh, Vt.葉hen with few exceptions an unbroken wilderness謡here, cutting the first tree on a lot of 100 acres (50 of which he paid $25 for, the remainder being granted him for settling), he reared a log house and located his little family. Four others (three of whom settled in town) came with him to his forest home. Previous to this there were but three families residing in Lunenburgh. For several years many of the necessary artiュcles of life were brought from Portland, a distance of over 100 miles, on foot or on horseュback. Mr. Gates' first visit to Portland was in June, 1788, when with two horses he made his way over Cherry Mountain and through the Notch, carrying with him a few beaver skins and one silver dollar to exchange for codfish, salt, molasses, and other necessary articles, which were placed in bags and strapped on the horses' backs, and thus conveyed to his home in the wilderness. All the grain used by the early settlers was carried to Lancaster, N. H., to be ground, a distance of 7 miles; and it was a common task to carry a grist to and from the mill in a day upon their backs, or to take it up the river in a canoe to Guildhall, a distance of some 18 miles by the river. In 1792 Mr. Gates built the first frame house erected in town, on his lot about half a mile east of the village, where it now stands a relic of the past, having outlasted many buildings of later days, and far outlived the aged builder and his partner who made it their home for so many years. The first sesュsion of the county court and its sittings for a long time, as well as most of the meetings on the Sabbath, were held in this time-honored house; and many of the noted men of those olden times spent days and nights within its walls and partook of the good cheer always so freely tendered by its liberal occupants. And although it has weathered the blasts of over 70 winters, no marriage ceremony has ever been witnessed within its walls, and but twice has death found its mark among its inmates first to the life-companion of the aged soldier, who died in 1853, at the age of 91, and lastly, the old veteran himself a year later at the advanced age of 94. He died honored and lamented by all his acquaintance, for to know him was to love and respect him. His years were spent not unprofitably for his fellowュmen. During his life he was honored with many responsible trusts in civil life謡as the first representative of the town in the state legislature, and served several years as judge in the county court beside many minor yet important services for which, as well as for his patient endurance of the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life, he deserves the grateful remembrance of those who are now reaping the benefits of his self-denying labors. Mr. Gates had three children, all of them settled in their native town. Samuel, the oldest, and the only one of the children now living, was born in 1783, and is now an old man of fourscore years. Honored and loved by all, kind, benevolent and honest in all his dealings, as well as earnest and faithful in the discharge of every Christian duty, he has borne well his part in the drama of life. As deacon of the Congregational church he has done much for its advancement and support. Brought up amid the rough wear and tear common to new settlements, he can tell many a tale of privation, danger, and hardy endurance which the young men of this day know nothing of by experience. His wife still lives to cheer his declining years, and the aged couple reside within sight of their old homestead. Of their children, only one remains in her native town, Catharine, wife of Nathaniel W. French, in whose family the venerable parents find a comfortable home.

William, the second son of the Revolutionary hero, was a man of wide influence. Posュsessed of talents and great energy, he early became a man of distinction in his county and held many important offices. He died in 1842, at the age of 56, deeply regretted by a wide circle of friends.

Catharine, the only daughter and youngest child of the subject of this sketch, was born in 1788, married Dr. Theron Webb, the resiュdent physician of the place, and lived and died in her native town.

Such is a short history of the life and charュacter of one of the early inhabitants of Lunenュburgh and of his descendants. Enjoying as we do at this day the beauties, pleasures and

 

 

 

LUNENBURGH. 1023

 

comforts of our quiet Vermont homes, we are too apt to forget the hard, self-denying labors of those who have made it what it is熔ur own glorious New England.

 

SKETCH OF THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND SOCIETY.

 

BY REV. WILLIAM SEWALL.

 

The first religious associated movement in Lunenburgh was made by the Congregationュalists as early as 1800. At that time, the first meeting-house was built. It was not dedicated until 1802. In December of that year the first Congregational society was formed, and among its earliest votes we find these: "That the members of this society are desirous of settling a minister," and "That the Rev. John Wilュlard shall be the person on whom our minds shall meet." The society conferred with Mr. Willard, and an arrangement mutually satisュfactory was made for his settlement. It may not be uninteresting, as it certainly will be a matter of curiosity, to insert here some of the items in the contract made with Mr. Wilュlard by the people at that time.

The first is merely with regard to the right of land which should be his, as the first settled minister in the town:

"Second, To raise by subscription a sum sufficient to defray the expenses of sending three sleighs and three spans of horses and suitable persons to drive the same for the purュpose of assisting in removing his family and effects from Connecticut (Stafford), to this town."

"Fifth. He shall receive for his first year's salary one hundred and sixty-six dollars to be assessed on the grand list of 1803, and then to rise in proportion as the list of ratable propュerty of those who are liable to pay his salary rises, for the term of six years or until it amounts to two hundred and sixty-six dollars. And if it should not rise to the said sum of two hundred and sixty-six dollars in that time, and this society should not be willing to establish his salary at the said sum, then and in that case, this society agree that the said Mr. Willard shall not be considered (unless he chooses) any longer our gospel minister. Two-thirds of the above mentioned sums to be paid in good merchantable wheat, at the current prices annually;" (the rest in money.)

The first Congregational church was organized at nearly the same time with the society. Rev. Joseph Willard of Lancaster, N. H., and his brother, Rev. John Willard, above mentioned, organized the church 27th of Dec. 1802. The church immediately united with the society in extending a call to Mr. Willard, and he was installed 31st of March, 1803. The clerical members of the council were Joseph Wilュlard of Lancaster, N. H., Nathaniel Lambert of Newbury, Vt., Sylvester Dana of Orford, N. H., and David Goodall of Littleton, N. H. The names of the lay members are not recordュed. There is no mention made in the order of exercises of any address to the people. The other parts are the same as we have them now.

At its organization the church numbered 16揺alf males. During Mr. Willard's minisュtry of 19 years, 144 united with the church, 53 of which were males. Two distinct reviュvals of religion marked this period in the hisュtory of the church. The first was in 1810. Perez Chapin, then a young man studying theology with Rev. Caleb Birge of Guildhall, one day supplied Mr. Willard's pulpit. He preached what was called "a hard doctrinal sermon." "This," says Mr. Julius A. Wilュlard, son of Rev. John Willard, in a recent letter, recalling the incidents of his father's ministry, "stirred up the latent gall of many hearts, setting them to thinking, till they sought peace to their souls in sweet submisュsion to the Divine will." As the immediate result of this revival we find an addition to the church of 33 members in 1810; 14 more were added in 1811. During the winter of 1819-20 Rev. Daniel Hemenway assisted Mr. Willard a few weeks. A revival followed, and we find an addition of 42 persons in 1820.

The following sketch of Mr. Willard's life was obtained through the kindness of Rev. P. H. White of Coventry. It is from the American Quarterly Register for May, 1841:

 

REV. JOHN WILLARD

 

was the son of Rev. John Willard, D. D., of Stafford, Ct., was born in 1759. His mother was Lydia, eldest daughter of Gen. Dwight of Brookfield, Mass. He was great great grandson of Rev. Samuel Willard, vice-presュident of Harvard College, and nephew of Rev. Joseph L. Willard, D. D., who was afterward president of the same college. He was gradュuated at Yale in 1782, ordained at Meriden, Ct., June, 1786, and dismissed May, 1802. He settled at Lunenburgh March 31, 1802. In 1810 his labors were blessed by a gracious visitation of the Divine Spirit, a very general revival of religion prevailed, and about 70 were added to the church. [Note.This number must, we think, include those added 10 years afterward, and it does not appear from the records that more than 33 united

 

 

 

1024 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

with the church at this time. As was said above, 42 united in 1820. W. S.] There were several other partial revivals during his connection with the church, which was dissolved in February, 1822. His salary being inadequate to his support, he performed sevュeral missionary tours through the northern settlements of Vermont and New Hampshire, under the direction of the Connecticut, Masュsachusetts and Vermont Missionary Societies. His mind naturally inclined to the study of medicine, and during his excursions among the more scattered of the people he had frequent applications to administer to the sick and infirm. His attention was thus necessarily directed to the subject, and an increasing weakness at the stomach induced him finally to enter regularly into the practice of mediュcine. He did not wholly relinquish preaching for several years afterwards, but such was the state of his health, that it was deemed necesュsary for him to do so sometime before his pasュtoral relation was dissolved. He died in June, 1826."

His son thus briefly speaks of him as a preacher: "My good father was not a 'Boanerges;' his manner was always mild and kind, and his preaching partook of like qualities. He was soundly orthodox."

He is still remembered by many with revュerence, affection and gratitude as the pioneer in the work of evangelization in this town.

 

REV. ANSON HUBBARD

 

succeeded Mr. Willard in the ministry here. He was settled 16th July, 1823. He remainュed with this people only two years, being dismissed 6th July. 1825. The record shows that five persons were added to the church during his ministry. After a year and a half of only occasional preaching, Rev. Jeremiah Glines was invited by the church and society to become their minister. He accepted the invitation, and was ordained and installed 10th January, 1827. During his ministry the church received an addition to its memュbership of 96洋ales 40. The largest adュdition at any one time during this period was in 1831, when 31 were received into church fellowship. In 1829 were added 16, and 20 in 1832.

Mr. Glines was dismissed Feb. 1848, after a ministry of a little more than 21 years. He has since been at Newark, and for a few years past has labored with renewed devotion to his Master's work in the towns of Granby and Victory. During Mr. Glines' ministry, about the year 1842, with consent of all the proprietors but three, the first meeting-house was taken down. It was sold at public auction. The objecting pew-holders formally and publicly forbade the auctioneer to proュceed; but it was nevertheless sold under the hammer and torn down to make way for a new, more convenient and more comfortable structure. The second house was built and finished in the same year, and dedicated 14th December.

 

REV. JOSIAH M. STEARNS

 

was installed June 1849, and only one week after his settlement the meeting-house, with other buildings, was destroyed by fire. It was a sad day and one which will long be remembered in this town as the day of "the fire."

But the people said, "let us rise and build;" and "they had a mind to work;" and in a few months a new house was raised on the same spot. It was dedicated January, 1851. It still stands, the ornament of our village. It was modeled somewhat after the North Church meeting-house at St. Johnsbury. The Messrs. Fairbanks of that place, with their ever ready and cheerful liberality in many a good work, generously assisted in the erection of this house.

During Mr. Stearns' short but most devoted ministry, 25 united with the church. He was dismissed on account, of ill health the 3d of February, 1852. He was an indefatiュgable and earnest worker. Beside his paroュchial duties he taught school a considerュable part of the time. A very interesting revival occurred while he was here, in which he was permitted to reap even a present reward of his labors. He preached afterward a short time in Brentwood, N. H., where he died.

After Mr. Stearns' dismission, the pulpit was supplied by different ministers. Rev. A. O. Hubbard, now deceased, well known in Vermont as a biblical scholar, preached sevュeral months Also Rev. I. Esty, now of Amherst, Mass., was stated supply for more than a year. Since June, 1855, the writer, then recently from the Seminary at Bangor (class of 1854), has ministered to this people, having been ordained to the gospel ministry as an evangelist at Cambridge, Mass., 2d May, 1855. During this period 55 have united with the

 

 

 

MAIDSTONE. 1025

 

church. Of this number 32 were received in 1858, as the fruits of the well-remembered and extensive revival with which the churches were graciously visited at that time. The whole number of names enrolled on the church records is 348洋ales 132.

The church was a beneficiary of the Verュmont Domestic Missionary Society, until within three years. It is now self-sustaining, although by no means pecuniarily strong.

 

MY FATHER AND HIS OLD MEETING‑HOUSE.

 

BY ELIZA D. W. PARSON,

 

Daughter of Rev. John Willard, first settled minister of Lunenburgh.

 

Backward receding thought, with pensive, humid eye,

Counts o'er the buds that strewed the paths of days gone by,

And doating memory's tears, their faded tints renew,

As withered roses wake besprint with evening dews.

 

Oh! childhood bath its dreams of loveliness and light,

And youth its golden hopes of undefined delight;

But aye, amid these groups, baptized with fancy's fire

That thronged my gay, young soul, thine image shone, my sire.

 

I love to thread the maze of long-remembered things,

And touch those filial notes that thrilled my heart's soft strings;

A child upon thy knees, I list thy lullaby,

And watch the tender smile that lights thy lip and eye.

 

Onward, in riper years, I wander by thy side,

Where fragrant wild flowers gleam, and silver waters glide,

The chanting of soft winds or carrols of bright birds

Are not so sweet to me as my bland father's words.

 

Now in the forest cot I see the joining hands,

Entwining blessings rich, with hallowed nuptial bands;

Or, noiseless kneeling down, beside the couch of death,

Thy whispered prayers ascend with life's last gasping breath.

 

I seek thy mouldering home, now level with green earth,

And stand upon that stone that formed thy humble hearth;

The walls around me rise, thy table and arm chair,

Thy books of solemn lore, thy chastened looks, thy prayer.

 

But most I love to haunt, this lonely ancient pile,

That makes the scoffer jest, and breeds his idiot smile,

For here sweet phantoms float before my spirit's eye,

With shapes, and hues, and tones like dear reality.

 

Within that rude old desk, with swinging canopy,

I see thee stretch thy hand and raise thy suppliant eye,

Heaven's melting masses move葉he angel-dove descends,

And with thine earnest voice its purest treasure blends.

 

'Twas not for thee to rend fond nature's precious ties,

Or chill with savage fear her dearest sympathies;

Oh! no, my sainted sire, a holier task was thine

To pour o'er broken hearts unpurchased oil and wine.

 

I view a glittering font謡ithin a crystal tide

And infant faces gleam, that limped wave beside;

As on their snowy brows thou fling'st the radiant drops,

Thy dewy eyelids show thy tender fears and hopes.

 

Again these visions change悠 see a table spread,

And thou the serving-one, dispensing wine and bread

Like Him of Sinai's cliffs, who wore the glow divine,

With peace, with love, with joy, thy kindled features shine.

 

Once more in sable garbs, I see a mourning crowd

Surround the coffined dead, with sore affliction bowed,

And thou with flooded eyes, to soothe that stormy grief,

Dost glean rich healing balm from off the sacred leaf.

 

What fills the picture scene? 'Tis yonder circling throng,

Where youth and beauty chant the ancient holy song,

Pleased if their pastor's glance their rustic strains approve,

That wake his listening soul to thanks, to praise, to love.

 

From out these shattered panes thy resting place I view,

Hoary with snowy trees, or might with rain and dew;

In that deserted aisle they placed thy lifeless clay,

Through these discolored doors they bore thy bier away.

 

Father! thy work is done葉o thee this house is nought,

Bright is thy dwelling-place, 'mid temples spirit-wrought;

It is for me to mourn the ruin sad and drear,

That hangs on every scene thy presence rendered dear.

 

Adieu! thou time-worn dome, thou venerable bond,

That tiest me to the past with links of feeling strong;

Thou too must pass away葉o-morrow's sunset beam

Will e'er thy prostrate walls and naked basement stream.

 

Thy lethean doom decreed, thou monument of all,

A pastor's faithful love, or parent's worth must fall!

Be still, my throbbing heart,謡ithin thy crimson cell

There are more memories grand than pyramids could tell!

 

 

覧覧覧覧覧覧

 

MAIDSTONE.

 

BY HON. MOODY RICH.

 

Maidstone was chartered by Gov. Wentュworth, of New Hampshire, under George III., Oct. 12, 1761; bounded N. by Brunswick, S. by Guildhall, E. by Connecticut river, W. by Granby and Ferdinand; containing, as chartered, 25,000 acres.

The proprietors under the N. H. grants immediately proceeded to organize their proュprietary body, after the granting of said charter, and the first meeting was held at the house of Elisha Mills, in Stratford, Ct., on the 2nd Tuesday of November, 1761; and at a meeting of the proprietors at the same place as above, held Aug. 17, 1762, it was decided to get the township of Maidstone surveyed and laid out預nd William Emmes, Thomas French and John Yates were apュpointed the committee, and to receive for their