is situated in the S. E. part of Washington Co., lat, 44° 11', long. 4° 31',
bounded N. by East Montpelier and Plainfield, E. by Orange, S. by Williamstown
and Washington, W. by Berlin, contains 19,900 acres, and was chartered
Voted, that the man that will give the most towards building a meeting-house in said town, shall name the town, and the town will petition the Legislature for that name. The name of the town vendued and bid off by Ezekiel Dodge Wheeler, for 62£ lawful money, he being the highest bidder, and said Wheeler named the town Barre.
At the same meeting,
Voted, to recommend Lt. Benj. Walker to serve as justice of peace.
At the March meeting in 1794, the town
Voted, to vendue the collectorship to the person who will collect the taxes for the least premium, and the collectorship was vendued to Joel Shurtliff, and he is to give the town three pence, three farthings on the pound for the privilege of collecting all the town taxes.
town meeting holden
Voted, to choose a committee of three to procure a preacher of the Gospel. By vote, chose Benj. Walker, Esq., Apollos Hale and Samuel D. Cooke, committee.
The town at an early day evinced a desire to look after the moral, social and religious interests of the people that should come among them to settle on the lands, and clear them up to make a thriving community.
settlement was commenced about 1788, by Samuel Rogers and John Goldsbury, who
came into town with their families. Soon after, a number of families came in,
and from 1790, the town became rapidly settled by emigrants from
Thos. W. Bailey has been passenger conductor since the road was opened, and Dexter Moody baggage-master; engineers, James Bowers, Robert Gregg, David Daniels, and present engineer, Albert Caswell. The cars have never but once been
off the irons, it is said, on this line, and no serious accident has yet occurred. The freight business at Barre depot is ranked about the fourth on the Vt. Central lines. Barre is the present terminus of this line (1881) but it is expected it will soon be extended to Royalton. Windsor Co.
Barre has two flourishing schools—the Academy and Seminary.
BY CHAS. A. SMITH, OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
Spaulding was born in
The school has since the death of Dr. Spaulding been under the charge of A. N. Wheelock, A. M., a graduate of the institution, class '73, and of the U. V. M., class '78, and under his able management, promises to maintain its high reputation among the educational institutions of the State. There have been connected with the school as assistant principals since its establishment 24 gentlemen: Rev. Simeon Gilbert, editor of the Advance, Chicago, Ill.; Rev. A. W. Hazen, of Middletown, Ct.; I. W. Camp, A. M., Chicago, III.; Hon. John M. Thatcher, ex-Commissioner of Patents, Chicago, Ill.; Hon. Senaca Hasleton, Judge of Municipal Court, Burlington, Vt., and others; and about 30 ladies, some of whom have been well known teachers in other schools of the land, have been employed as assistants. The number of scholars of both sexes who have completed the courses of studies prescribed has been nearly 300, and the honorable record made by some of these, and of the thousands more who have been for a longer or a shorter period connected with the school, afford the surest testimony of the faithful work done by its teachers in the past. Names of a few old
students who have become prominent in the localities
in which they have settled, and in the calling they have chosen. Walworth Z.
Mitchell, Esq., Superintendent of Schools, Memphis, Tenn.; Hon. John I. Gilbert,
Malone, N. Y.; Hon. John M. Thatcher, Chicago, Ill.; Percis A. Thompson,
teacher, Goddard Seminary, Barre, Vt.; Rev. Geo. P. Beard, Principal S. N.
School, Shippenburgh, Pa.; Miss Emily Cook, teacher, Chicago, Ill.; Hon. Geo.
L. Godfrey, Des Moines, Iowa; Hon. Albert Clark, St. Albans, Vt.; Rev. J. J.
THE NATIONAL BANK OF BARRE.
CONTRIBUTED BY MR. SMITH.
chartered and organized
prompt and courageous action of Mr. King, who was, on the departure of the
robbers left with his family, bound in his house, nearly half a mile from the
village, but who soon slipped his bonds, and alarmed the officers of the bank.
A pursuit was instituted, which resulted in the capture of one of the burglars
near Rumney, N. H., the next day, and subsequently two others of the gang were
arrested in New York city. One was delivered up to serve out an unexpired term
at Sing Sing; one, Geo. Miles with numerous aliases, was brought to
King resigned his position as cashier
There have been chosen 11 directors of the bank since its organization, of whom only two have died in office: Hon. Luther M. Martin, of Williamstown, died in 1874, and Dr. Braley in 1880. The capital stock of the bank was at its organization $200,000, but by a vote of the stockholders in 1880, it was reduced to $100,000. The board of directors chosen at the annual meeting in 1881, were L. F. Aldrich, Josiah Wood, Willard S. Martin, B. W. Braley and J. M. Perry. These elected L. F. Aldrich, president, B. W. Braley, vice president, F. L. Eaton, cashier.
NORMAN W. BRALEY, M. D.,
first President of the National Bank of Barre, was born in
business interests of the place, using his influence,
and freely contributing of his means to further every enterprise which promised
to promote the prosperity of the place. He died
At the annual session of the Vt. State Convention of Universalists in Montpelier, 1863, a committee was appointed to obtain a charter for a state denominational school of the highest grade below that of college, and the charter was obtained of the Legislature the same fall, under title of Green Mountain Central Institute; name changed Nov. 1870, to Goddard Seminary.
charter has the right to hold personal and real estate to the amount of
$100,000. The charter obtained, Prof. Shipman, now of Tufts College, took the
field to raise money till Sept. 1864; raised $15,000; increased afterwards by
Rev. J. J. Lewis, Rev. S. W. Squire and others, to about $50,000, and $ 10,000
was given by the late Thomas A. Goddard, of Boston. Fall of 1864, location was
referred to committee: Rev. A. A. Miner, D. D., Boston, Hon. E. Trask,
Springfield, Mass., Rev. G. W. Bailey, Lebanon, N. H. Springfield, So.
Both the Academy and Seminary at Barre have always been open to the education of both sexes, and have always maintained an honorable and high position in the State as educational institutions.
The Seminary has about $80,000 invested in school property; fund of $10,000 just completed—June, 1881. Present board of teachers: Henry Priest, principal, assisted by Charles C. Bates, A. M., and J. N. Darling, B. Ph., in fall term; Miss Flora C. Eaton, preceptress; Misses P. A. Thompson, A. J. Watson, S. C. Tilden, F. A. West., F. J. Hopkins, assistant teachers; W. A. Wheaton, music-teacher; J. M. Kent, penmanship. Number of trustees (1880) 30; President, Rev. W. R. Shipman, A. M., College Hill, Mass.; Vice President, N. W. Braley, M. D. (deceased) Barre; Secretary and Treasurer, George Tilden, Barre; Hon. Harvey Tilden, L. F. Aldrich, Henry Priest, Charles Templeton. David W. Mower, Esq., Miles Morrison,
Esq., Rev. W. M. Kimmell, trustees residing in Barre,
other trustees residing in the County: Rev. J. E. Wright, Hon. Chas. H. Heath,
Hon. Clark King, A. J. Hollister, Esq.,
The soil of the town is generally very good, producing wheat, rye, oats, corn and potatoes in abundance; along the streams the meadows produce good crops of hay. There is an abundance of sugar maple on the lands back from the streams, from which a large amount of sugar is yearly made.
Nathan Harrington, 1793; Asaph Sherman, 1794, '95, '96; Benjamin Walker, 1797, '99; Nathaniel Killam, 1798; James Fisk, 1800, '1, '2, '3, '4, '9, 'l0, '15; Luther Holton, 1805; Nathan Carpenter, 1806; John Dodge, 1807, 1808; Nathan Stone, 1811; Warren Ellis, 1812, '13, '14, '16, '17, '20, '22; Phineas Thompson, 1818, '19, '27; Jacob Scott, 1821; Peter Nichols, 1823, '26, '28; Denison Smith, 1824, '25, '29; Alvan Carter, 1830, '32, '33; Lucius B. Peck, 1831; John Twing, 1834, '35 Jacob Scott, Jr., 1836, '37, '38; Newell Kinsman, 1839, '40; Leonard Keith, 1841, '42; David D. Wing, 1843, '44; Webber Tilden, 1845; Obadiah Wood, 1846; George W. Collamer, 1847, '48; Harvey Tilden, 1849; Warren H. Ellis, 1850; Jesse Scott, 1851, '52; Denison K. Smith, 1853, '57; Joseph Sargent, 1854, '55; Joseph C. Parker, 1856; None, 1858, '61, '64; Leonard F. Aldrich, 1859, '60; Ira Holden, 1862, '63; Geo. W. Tilden, 1865, '66; Frank Stafford, 1867; Charles Q. Reed, 1868; William E. Whitcomb, 1869, '70, '71.
LIST OF TOWN CLERKS.
Joseph Dwight, 1793, '94, '95; Gardner Wheeler, 1796, '97; Nathan Carpenter, 1798, '99, 1800, '1, '2, '3, '4, '5, '6; Sherman Minott, 1807, '8, '9, '10; Warren Ellis, 1811, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17; Joseph Ripley, 1818 to 1840; Alvan Carter, 1841 to 1862; Albert Johonnott, 1863; Clark Holden, 1864; Carlos Carpenter, 1865, '66, '67. '68, '69, '70, '71.
LIST OF FIRST COSNTABLES.
Job Adams, 1793, '97; Joel Shurtliff, 1794; Samuel Scott, 1795; Isaac S. Thompson, 1796, 1812; Apollos Hale. 1798; James Paddock. 1799, 1800, 'l0, '11, '13; Reuben Carpenter, 1802, 1803; Phineas Thompson, 1804; Ezekiel D. Wheeler, 1805; Chapin Keith, 1806, '7, '9; Andrew Dewey, 1808; Peter Nichols, 1814, '15, '16, 17, '18, '19, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28; Moses Rood, Jr., 1820, '21, 22; Lewis Peck, 1829; Otis Peck, 1830, '31, '32, '33, '34, '35; Thomas Town, 1836, '37, '38, '39; Alvan Drury, 1840, '41, '42, '43, '44, '45, '47, '48, '49, '50, '51; Joseph C. Parker, 1852; Silas Town, Jr., 1853; David D. Wing, 1854, '55, '56; Micah French, 1857, '58, '59; N. F. Averill, 1860, '61, '62, '63, '68, '69, '70, '71; A. M. Jackman, 1846, 1865; A. A. Nichols, 1864; Ira P. Harrington, 1866: A. J. Smith, 1867.
was one of the early settlers in Barre. He was born in
MAJOR NATHAN HARRINGTON
was the sixth settler in Barre. He came from
great promptness. He was a Mark Antony man—He
"spoke right on," was always kind and generous, frank and honest. He
was nearly blind some years before his death, which occurred at Barre,
came into Barre about 1796, from Greenwich, Mass.; was elected one of the selectmen in 1799, a member of the Legislature in 1800, and represented the town 9 years; was a judge of the County Court in 1802; was 10 years a Member of Congress; received the appointment of Governor of the Territory of Indiana, which he declined; was a Senator in Congress from 1817 to 1819, when he accepted the appointment of Collector for the District of Vermont, and subsequently removed to Swanton. He was a very able and efficient legislator; could express his views upon almost any subject without previous preparation. He was a firm friend of Mr. Madison, and frequently counselled with him relative to the subject of carrying on the War of 1812. Judge Fisk was a Republican of that time, and a live Whig in 1840. He died some years since.
came into Barre about 1803, from
DEACON JONAS NICHOLS
was one of the first settlers in Barre; took up the
lot of land on which John N. Wilson now resides; cleared it up, and resided on
the same lot until his death, which took place
CAPT. JOSEPH WATSON
settled at an early day in the south-easterly part of
the town; carried on the tanning and shoemaker business a number of years. He
became involved in building a part of the
came into Barre about 1808, from
who was a graduate of
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH IN BARRE.
Congregational church was organized
and his ministry continued until his death,
Justus W. French was ordained over this church
Joseph Thatcher was installed
James W. Wheelock was installed
Andrew Royce was installed
Ervin Carpenter was installed
Rev. Leonard Tenney commenced preaching for this people in Oct., 1867, and still (1871) continues to be their minister.
The first meeting-house was raised in the fall of 1804, but was not fully finished until 1808. The church and society continued to worship there until 1841, when the present brick church was erected, which has since, been very tastefully fitted up inside, by frescoing and carpeting, etc. It has a fine toned bell and a large organ, and the attendance has always been quite large. A large and flourishing Sabbath-school has been kept up for many years past.
Society have a very commodious parsonage. Rev. Mr. Tenney resigned his charge
The Rev. P. McMillan, a graduate of Union Theological Seminary, is at present supplying the pulpit. No. of membership in 1880, 171; Sabbath-school, 256.
METHODISM IN BARRE.
first Methodist sermon was preached in Barre in 1796, by Rev. Jesse Lee, the
great apostle of Methodism in
The first church was erected on the common, but in what year the writer is unable to learn. [For date of early history of Methodism in Barre, the reader is referred to the history of Methodism in Williamstown in the supplement volume of this work—Ed.] It was subsequently removed across the road to where the Congregational parsonage now stands. In the year 1837, a new church was erected, and 3 years since it was refitted and repaired at an expense of $8,000. A fine parsonage is located opposite the church, which is furnished with the heavy furniture. This is considered among the best appointments in the Vermont Conference. The congregations are large on the Sabbath, the Sabbath-school is in a prosperous condition, and the social meetings are of an interesting character. During its history no minister who has served it has degenerated, and no serious church trials have been experienced by its members. The oldest member connected with this church now living, (1871) is Mrs. Content
Patterson, aged 94 years, with her mental powers all vigorous. She has always enjoyed good health—(deceased).
These may certify whom it may concern, that John Goldsbury, John Goldsbury, Jr., William Goldsbury, Thomas Dodge, Calvin Smith, Bartholomew French, Thomas Ralph, Amos Conant, Eliphalet Densmore, George Little, Lemuel Farwell, Jonathan Culver, Sylvanus Goldsbury, Henry Gale, Phineas Richardson, James Bodwell, have formed themselves into a Religious Society, professing themselves to be of the Universalist Denomination, viz.: Believing in universal redemption and salvation by the merits of Jesus Christ.
WILLIAM FARWELL, Elder.
This organization was formed 16 years after the township was chartered, and 3 years after it received the name of Barre.
Although Universalism in this place has passed through various fortunes, it has never since been disorganized. The large and influential society and church now existing here are the outgrowth of this apparently small beginning.
There were Universalists among the first settlers of the town. John Goldsbury, whose name stands at the head of the sixteen which represent the original society, was one who began "the work of converting the wilderness into farms." And most of these men are known to have been men of intelligence, enterprise and good moral and religious character. Some of them were prominent citizens among the earlier settlers of the town, and a large part of them are still represented by leading families in the community, and in the Universalist church.
whose name is affixed to the certificate of
organization as the Elder of the society, was not a resident of Barre at the
time the society was formed, but visited this and other places in the vicinity
from time to time. He moved to Barre from
Rev. William Farwell, died Dec. 11th, 1823, in the 74th year of his age. He was a preacher of God's universal love, cheerful and friendly in life, faithful in his labors, and departed in hope of future life and immortality.
In 1808, the Rev. Paul Dean moved to Barre, and became pastor of the society. He labored with it several years with great success. After his removal, it had no resident pastor until 1821; but was supplied by various clergymen a portion of the time.
frequently employed, under the ministry of Mr. Palmer and Mr. Browning. Against all these disadvantages, the church steadily increased in numbers, strength and spiritual life. Fathers Palmer and Browning still live, (1871) rejoicing for what has been done by their instrumentality, not only in Barre, but in many other fields which are now rich with harvests, grown from the seed which they sowed.
In 1822, the society built a substantial brick church at South Barre, in which it worshipped until 1852.
S. Sanborn became pastor here in May, 1844, and was dismissed by his own
Joseph Sargent took charge in the autumn of 1849. His resignation was accepted
at the annual meeting,
The church built in 1852, is the one in which the congregation now worships. It needs and will soon receive, extensive repairs. Since the society moved to its present place of worship, its growth has been constant and rapid. There are now 100 families connected with the society.
The church was re-organized in October, 1859, and since, 136 persons have united with it; present membership, 118. There is connected with the society a flourishing Sabbath-school, and it has a good parsonage. The society has a small fund from which it derives an annual income.
present pastor, Rev. F. S. Bliss. began his labors
GODDARD SEMINARY, under the control of the Universalists of Vermont, was located in this town in 1864, and is in intimate connection with this society. It has contributed $25,000 within 6 years for its benefit. In the meantime it has done its full share in sustaining the various enterprises of the denomination. It has contributed liberally for the freedmen, for the circulation of the Bible, for missionary work and other benevolent enterprises. And it now develops more ability, zeal and liberality than ever before. In numbers, wealth, intelligence, moral and Christian character, it is thought to compare favorably with the other churches in town.
Record continued to 1881, by Rev. W. M. KIMMELL.
S. BLISS resigned his pastorate of 15 years, 2 mos. from ill health, preaching
his last sermon,
Rev E. J. Chaffee succeeded Mr. Bliss for one year; after him Rev. Lester Warren 2 years. Upon his departure the old church edifice was enlarged and remodeled at a cost of several thousand dollars. The present building is modern in style, commodious, and nicely furnished. In the fall of 1875, the Rev. James Vincent became pastor of the society, remaining until February, 1880, and followed the first of the next month by myself. There are 120 families belonging to the parish. The Sunday school has enrolled 180. The Library contains 501 volumes.
W. M. KIMMELL,
Pastor of Universalist Society.
BY STILLMAN WOOD, EX-POSTMASTER.
while after the first settlers came in there was no grist-mill in town, and
they had to go 20 miles or more to Randolph with their grists. There then was
no road through the gulf as at present; they had to go by way of the route
since known as the old Paine Turnpike. The first roads built in town were over
the hills instead of around them. The object sought was to go as much on dry
ground as possible. At an early day there was a turn pike road chartered and
built, commencing at the checkered store in Barre and ending at Chelsea. The
gate to this pike was in the town of Washington. This pike was the main
thoroughfare south-east, leading
from town towards Massachusetts, and an outlet for traffic to and from Boston. At
32 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
a later date, Ira Day, then the principal merchant in town, obtained a charter for a turnpike through the celebrated gulf in Williamstown. This was found to be a feasible and easily built road—was owned and built principally by Mr. Day—and found to be a source of profit, taking away a large part of the travel from the Chelsea route. The gulf road subsequently became the stage route, traversed by six and eight horse coaches, taking the travel from Montpelier and towns north, from Canada, even, and at one time carrying the British mail, which came then by the way of Boston, a British soldier accompanying each mail having his musket always in readiness for depredators.
before the advent of railroads, were a prominent feature in the business of Barre, and were owned principally by Ira Day and Mahlon Cottrill, of Montpelier. When the stage horn was heard, there was always a rush for news, and the few moments the stage stopped, spectators were abundant.
Barre was also celebrated for its six and eight horse teams which carried freight to and from Boston, for Montpelier merchants as well as for those in Barre. Six or eight such teams were always on the road, and the regular trips were made once in each three weeks. Among the foremost of these teamsters was Capt. Wm. Bradford. He had one horse who went 100 trips without missing a single trip, going, of course, each journey for 6 years without a rest. A large per cent. of the heavy freight drawn consisted of hogsheads of new rum, to supply Montpelier and Barre. Some say as much as one-half, but perhaps one third would be nearer correct.
Barre has always held a good rank in raising good horses, some spans selling as high as $1,000, and some stock horses selling for several thousand. As a farming town, Barre ranks among the best in the State.
Formerly sheep and wool-raising was the leading interest, but of late years dairying has taken the lead. Although there are no large dairies in town, those of from 10 to 25 cows are numerous. We have one creamery where excellent butter is made, and the milk is used after skimming to make skim cheese. A large amount of Western grain is being used by dairymen; whether to profit or not, is a question to be settled by longer experience.
Grain and potatoes, in the early days of the settlers, were much used in the manufacture of whisky, but of late years it has entirely ceased. Potato starch was formerly made in large quantities, potatoes selling at the first introduction of the business from 10 to 14 cents per bushel, delivered at the factory.
Wool-carding and cloth-dressing was formerly quite an extensive business. The first carding works were built by John Baker, and were situated on the site now occupied by the Fork Co. It was also early introduced by Ira Day, near South Barre.
Once on a time Mr. Day and his foreman were in his mill in time of a freshet. The mill was in much danger of going down stream. It soon started, Mr. Day and his man in the meantime rushing for the door, too late to reach dry land, sprang upon some timbers floating within reach. The timbers were sometimes uppermost, and then the men, but after a cool and dangerous ride, both were happy to regain solid ground, wetter, if not better, men than before.
John Baker was at a very early day appointed postmaster, and held the office many years. Afterwards it was located at South Barre, and Walter Chaffee appointed P. M. Mr. Chaffee was a large, fleshy man, a tailor with a wooden leg. Each Sunday he would come to church at the north part of the town, with the week's mail in the top of his hat, and deliver the same at upon the meeting-house steps, to the various claimants. Postage was then 25 cents for each letter that came over 400 miles; 6 cents and one-fourth
was for the shortest distance, each one paying when he got his letter.
Alvan Carter was the successor of Mr. Chaffee, and held the office a long time. After his time was ended, there was a loud call for a P. O at the lower village, and warm discussions were held which should be Barre, and which North or South Barre. But the people in the north part of the town carried their point, and since have largely outstripped their southern rival. It is now the main business centre. Since the office has been at the north village, the respective postmasters have been, James Hale, Frances Hale, E. E. French, G. B. Putnam, Stillman Wood, and Wm. A. Perry, the present occupant.
THE FIRST MERCHANTS
in town were SILAS WILLARD, who built the checked store in the lower village. IRA DAY was located at South Barre, and for many years the leading merchant in town. Each year he bought large droves of beef cattle in this and the surrounding towns, for the Boston market, which gave him an extensive and lucrative business, no one knew how to manage better than himself. At the time Gen Lafayette made the tour of New England, he was the guest of Mr. Day, who furnished a splendid coach and six beautiful white horses for transportation of the General and his suite.
JACK POLLARD was also a merchant in those early days, of considerable notoriety. He was famous for collecting large droves of mules which were raised at that time, and sent south. Of late years the business has been entirely abandoned.
Other merchants of a more recent date were Harry Tracy, Daniel Spring, Center Lamb, George W. Collamer, John & Charles French, I. A. Phillips, H. W. French, and several others since. The present merchants are Perry & Camp, H. Z. Mills, John Morrison, L. J. Bolster, dry goods; men's furnishing goods, G. P. Boyce; drugs and medicines, Wm. H. Gladding, Chas. A. Smith; flour and feed, H. Webster, R. L. Clark, L. M. Averill, L. J. Bolster; hardware and tin, J. M. Jackman, G. I. Reynolds.
Until the advent of railroads, the town was well supplied with hotels, or taverns, as the older folks called them. The three principal in an early day were, one at South Barre, owned and run by James Paddock, one at the Lower village, owned by Apollos Hale, and afterwards by James, his son; also one at Gospel village, so called, ½ mile east of Lower village. Judge Keith, the proprietor, was one of the noted men in town, and high sheriff of the County for several years. He used to relate that from the profits of his office of high sheriff he built, and paid for building, his tavern stand in one year.
Judge Keith was a man of much influence, and held many and important offices. His family of boys were intelligent and influential, and also became leading men. The late Judge Keith, of Montpelier, was his oldest son.
Subsequently there were at least 6 taverns in town at one time, all doing an extensive business, owing to the large amount of travel which went through town, but since the advent of the railroad, hotels are at a great discount.
When the first settlers commenced to clear their land and raise wheat, the wild pigeons came in great abundance, so much so as to be quite a drawback, and it required great care and skill to protect the crops from their depredations. They might be seen at all hours of the day flying from point to point in different directions all about town. Thousands were caught by nets, but for the want of proper markets, were of little value, except what could be used by the inhabitants, and at some seasons of the year they were lean and scarce fit for the table.
Uncle Brown Dodge, who was famous for his large stories, and told them so often he supposed them to be true, used to relate that once when he had sown a piece of wheat, he saw it covered with pigeons, and went for his old fusee, and fired just as the pigeons were rising, and was aware of making an under-shot— "Never killed a pigeon, not a pigeon—but mind you," said he, "I went into the field afterwards and picked up two bushels of legs."
34 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
Mr. Dodge had three sons. Two of them settled on excellent farms, and became influential and wealthy, and the younger one went with his family as Missionary to the Cherokee Indians. He had two sons, who when grown to man's estate were in need of some one for soothing the rough passage of life. Mr. Dodge, the father, started East, came to Vermont, and when he returned was accompanied by two handsome young ladies, and very soon after his arrival home, had the satisfaction of seeing his sons both married to Vermont girls. Leonard, the oldest son, became a teacher; the younger son built and run a saw-mill. He was a brave young man, to whom the Indians took an offence, and one day, while standing in his mill, a bullet from an Indian's rifle came rushing through his heart.
DOCT. ROBERT PADDOCK
settled in town about 1806, and spent a long life in
the practice of his profession He was a well-educated and energetic man,
successful in practice, and not easily turned from his own way. To illustrate:
He was troubled with an in-growing nail on the great toe of his right foot. One
morning he came into his office, where his son and another student were
studying, bringing in a chisel and mallet. Having suitably placed his chisel,
he told a student to take the
mallet and strike. He at first refused, but he said he should be obeyed—I tell you to strike. The toe went flying across the room, and the remedy was successful.
Doct. Lyman Paddock, son of Doct. Robert, who succeeded him in practice, spent a long number of years in the profession. He is now with his sister in Illinois, is 97 or 98 years old, with a fair prospect of living to be a hundred.
was another of our early and noted physicians. He was a man of decided talents, and had a large number of students, some of whom became men of talents. The celebrated Doct. Socrates Sherman, of Ogdensburg, N. Y., was one of his students, and a Barre boy, the son of Capt. Asaph Sherman. Time does not permit us to mention particularly all who have practiced in town, but we will not neglect to speak of
DOCT. WALTER BURNHAM,
who removed to Lowell, Mass., and became celebrated as a successful surgeon.
Later came Doct. A. B. Carpenter and Doct. A. E. Bigelow, now our oldest practicing physician. Doct. H. O. Worthen, Doct. J. H. Jackson, Doct. A. E. Field and Doct. B. W. Braley are our present physicians in the allopathy practice. Doct. H. E. Packer succeeds the late Doct. C. H. Chamberlin as a homoeopathist.
in town: one of the first was Judge James Fisk; another, the Hon. Dennison Smith, of both of whom, see notice by Mr. Carpenter.
Hon. LUCIUS B. PECK, a partner of Judge Smith, was a man of note and a representative in Congress.
NEWELL KINSMAN was in practice for a long time, associated in business a part of the time with E. E. French, Esq. C. W. Upton, D. K. Smith, L. C. Wheelock, have all successfully practiced in town.
Our present lawyers are: Wm. A. & O. B. Boyce, E. W. Bisbee and G. W. Bassett.
There is no land in town so broken but what each lot is capable of becoming a passable farm if well cultivated. No broken land except the granite hills, which are still more valuable than the land in general. The streams were formerly well stocked with the speckled trout, but of late years they have become exceeding scarce. The first settlers found wild game quite plenty, but bears and other large game found too many sharp hunters to make their haunts safe places to dwell in.
Doct. Robert Paddock kept a small pack of hounds, and no music was sweeter to his ear than the baying of his dogs. General Blanchard was not much behind the Doctor in his love of the same kind of music. Occasionally a bear was captured; generally by a regular hunt, when every man had a chance to show skill, as well as the more practiced huntsman. There was
one killed in 1844 or '5, and but one since to the writer's knowledge.
Our most successful hunter was Lemuel Richardson, who is now living in our midst, and is 81 years old. His record is as follows: Between the years of 1821 and 1847, he killed with hound and gun 714 foxes; since then he has taken in traps 675, making in all 1,389 foxes. He has during the same time killed of other game three deer, 12 fishers, five otter and sable, coons, muskrats and mink too numerous to mention. Mr. R. is a man to be relied on, and the above statement may be taken as correct.
is situated nearly in the centre of the town. The principal stream running through the village is called Jail Branch, taking its name from a log jail once built on its bank. Coming from the south part of the town is a stream called Stevens' Branch, and uniting with Jail Branch before it enters the village. On this stream is situated a famous water-privilege called Day's mills, on which is now a grist and saw-mill, an extensive door, sash and blind manufactory; on the same stream there is also Robinson's sash and blind establishment and granite polishing works, and on the same strewn before it enters Jail Branch is located Moorcroft Flannel Factory. The first water occupied on Jail Branch is by the Stafford & Holden Manufacturing Company, for the purpose of manufacturing all kinds of hay and manure forks, potato diggers, etc., and in addition to the water power they have a 30 or 40 horse-power engine. Next on the stream are the mills and furnace of Smith, Whitcomb & Cook. These, are the works formerly owned by Joshua Twing, once a celebrated mill builder.
There is one principal street running through the village, called Main street, and near the upper end of the village called South Main street; Bridge street crossing the Branch and connecting with Brooklyn street; also with Hoboken. Elm street leaves Main near the National Bank, and runs north; Merchant street is another fine street running north; Seminary street also runs north, and passes the Goddard Seminary. Depot Square and its surroundings is also very pleasant. The street leading from the village by Barre Academy is a very gentle rise, leading to the Cemetery.
BARRE CEMETERY justly deserves, and has the reputation of being one of the best in the State. It is partly surrounded by a very beautiful cedar hedge, and has two fountains, furnished by water from the neighboring hills, which add very much to its beauty. Many fine monuments of goodly variety have been put up, the grounds tastefully laid out, and, taking it all in all, we are happy to compare it with any in the State.
The streets of Barre are well lined with shade trees, which add very much to its attractions. There are 18 stores in town, and our post-office has been made a salaried office, and does a very fair business.
The town has a well regulated library, of several hundred volumes, which are considerably read, but the newspapers probably take nine-tenths of all the time devoted to reading. Geo. P. Boyce is our librarian.
"BARRE AGRICULTURAL LIBRARY.— First officers, J. S. Spaulding, pres. , S. E. Bigelow, vice-pres.; C. Carpenter, sec.; Stillman Wood, treasurer and librarian." Among the things that were: sold out.
Barre has a Job Printing Establishment run by Prentiss C. Dodge, and a newspaper.
The first newspaper printed in town was "THE BARRE TIMES." It was a monthly sheet, issued during the year 1871, spicy, of a literary character, and published by Stillman Wood, Esq.
"THE BARRE HERALD," established in 1879, by E. N. Hyzer, was published about 9 months.
"THE BARRE ENTERPRIZE,"
was commenced in 1880. The first number was issued December 11th of the past year. It was conducted till April, 1881, by Mr. Lewis P. Thayer, of Randolph,
36 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
when W. F. Scott, its present editor and proprietor,
came into possession of the publication and issued his first number of the
Plows and casting for mill-irons are manufactured at the old Twing stand, by Smith, Whitcomb & Cook. Their plows are becoming a great favorite among the farmers. We have also Stafford & Holden's Fork Factory, Holden's Factory — Dr. McCroft, proprietor: Makers of Tin Ware: J. M. Jackman, Geo. J Reynolds. W. C. Durkee, Coffins & Caskets: Sheplee & Jones; Harnesses, C. La Paige, M. B. McCrillis. Boots & Shoes, J. Porter, O. D. Shurtleff. Sash, Blinds & Doors, South, J. S. Robinson, Abel Wood; Woolen Goods, William Moorcroft—are our minor manufactures: See Walton's Register, 1881; our chief business being the Granite Works, a notice of which will appear by the parties themselves, or some representative from their numbers.
We have a very efficient
of sixty stalwart young men, with a first-class hand engine, that took the first prize at a trial made in Burlington a few years since.
Barre has a Lodge of Good Templars in successful operation, which promises to be of great benefit to the people.
BARRE CORNET BAND,
well organized, is under the present leadership of Dr. Clarence B. Putnam. This Band was organized several years before the late war, and was at that time one of the best in the State. Early in the war they volunteered to go as a Band, were accepted, and served during the war.
They did not all return. Some were left to occupy a grave in the Southern States. G. B. Putnam, who resigned the office of Postmaster to go and serve his country, now rests in an unknown grave. He was the father of the present leader of the Band.
Those who belonged to, and went as members, were H. Warner French, leader; A. B. Fisher, P. Parker Page, Geo. Beckley, Albert Wood, James Averill, John W. Averill, Geo. Blanchard, Wm. Clark, G. B. Putnam, Wm. Olds. With some few exceptions, the Band has been in practice ever since the war, and some of the veterans still occupy prominent places in the same.
BARRE BOYS IN THE WEST.
Barre has furnished its full share of young men who have gone West to earn a living, and build up the land of their adoption. Among the more successful we might mention Henry Wood, son of Stillman Wood, Esq., a merchant. He has traveled in Europe a year; is the owner of real estate in Chicago which yields a goodly income, and of a handsome cottage on Scituate Beach, in Massachusetts, a summer residence. The firm of Keith Brothers, sons of Martin Keith, in Chicago, are also Barre boys, carry on a wholesale trade in the millinery line, are among wealthy and leading firms in Chicago. Clark Upton, late Mayor of Waukegan, Ill., was a Barre boy, and a lawyer of more than common ability. Five sons of Micah French are in the West, working to lay up a fortune. It is said to be much easier to get up a large party of intelligent Barre boys in Chicago than in Barre itself at the present time.
Names of some of the older people who have died in town: Abel Camp, aged 92, and his wife, Abigail, 86; Benjamin Wood, 86, and his wife, 87; Chapin Keith, 80, and his wife, 86; Mrs. Sally Willard, 81; Miss Mary Gale, 80; Gould Camp, 92; Robert Parker, 83; John Goldsbury, 90, and his wife, 80; John Wheaton, 95; Mrs. Benjamin Wheaton, 80; Luke Olds, 86; Israel Wood, 80; Isaiah Little, 84; Capt. Wm. Bradford, 86, his wife, 83; Anna Bradford, 88; Silas Town, 88; Reuben Nichols, 83; Samuel Cook, 94; Daniel Kinney, 82; Mrs. Judith Wood, 83; Polly Cook, 81; Alvah Wood, 84, his wife, 83; Otis French, 89; Jerra Richardson, 82; Jerry Batchelder, 83; Mrs. John Thompson, 83; Mrs. Nancy Barber, 84;
James Knowland, 85; Mrs. Dudley Sterling, 92; Thomas Town, 84; Jonathan Claflin, 84; Joseph Sterling; Plina Wheaton, 83.
The above list might be greatly extended if time now permitted.
Names of people now living in town whose ages are 80 years and upwards—so far as we can learn: Lucy Davis, 97 years old; Hetty Willey, 93; Eleanor Needham, 94; Lucy Wood, 95; Delia French, 86; Hannah French, 85; Louis Dana, 85; Jonathan Bancroft. 87; Aaron Ashley, 81; Freedom Homes, 83; Fisher Homes, 81; Charlotte Goldsbury, 81; Sally Gale, 86; Samuel Burns, 87; Nathaniel Lawson, 82; Justus Ketchum, 81; Cynthia Hooker, 82; Joseph Norris, 81; Peter Nichols, 81; Mary Noyes, 87; Achsa Richardson, 81; Lemuel Richardson, 81; Betsey Waterman, 81; Rodney Bradford, 81; Sarah Cox, 84; Susan Chamberlin, 84; Mason Carpenter, 82; Josiah Beckett, 86; Lucy Lawson, 83; Otis Durkee, 80; Mrs. Carroll Smith, 86.
GRANITE LODGE F. & A. M.
929, KNIGHTS OF HONOR, was instituted in Barre,
lodge met in Masonic Hall until
lodge has been always in a flourishing condition since first organized, there
being an average addition of 20 members each year. The lodge is under the
jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of the State, but makes reports direct to the
Supreme Lodge, and also sends all money for widows' and orphans' benefit fund
direct to the Supreme treasurer, the Supreme lodge only having power to pay out
money on death benefits. There has been twelve assessments for the year ending
38 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
We have made no public monuments, nor furnished stock for any public buildings. We ship stock in the rough to quite an extent to Burlington, Vt., Albany, N. Y., Danville, Pa., and numerous other points; am now furnishing granite for a bank building, to be erected in Danville, Pa., to the amount of 1500 cubic feet; have a contract to furnish the stock for a large monument to be erected in Boston, Mass., which will take nearly 1000 cubic feet. One piece alone is to be 9½ ft. square and 2 ft. thick; will weigh nearly 20 tons. If we had facilities for handling and drawing, we could quarry a block of any desired size. We employ now upon an average about 15 quarrymen, and the number of cutters in the employ of Mr. S. Kimball, (works are located at Montpelier. Vt.), and Smith & Wells Barre, Vt., must number at least 30. We make any kind of work to be made in granite, from rough underpinning to a nice polished monument; value of stock taken from quarry at least $10,000; amount of finished work made during year ending June 1st, 1881, by E. L. Smith & Smith & Wells (Mr. Wells became a partner in March, 1881), about $12,000.
I consider this (granite) business established upon a sound basis, which I think will increase in time to be one of the largest industries of our State. Barre granite is second to none, and when once introduced will recommend itself.
There are at present 8 quarries opened, which are worked to quite an extent in town, namely: "Cobble Hill," owned by E. L. Smith & P. C. Wheaton, now worked by P. C. Wheaton. This is of a rather light gray, and is probably the best place in Vermont to quarry stone for under-pinning, being quite rifty, so that it can
readily be split in pieces 8 in. thick, 2 ft. wide and 20 ft. long. It is strong, and is of the very best material for building work, curbing, etc., which can be found.
"Harrington Quarry,'' owned and worked by Ira P. Harrington, who has long been in the granite business, upon which he is now doing quite an amount of work in filling orders for rough stock. From these two quarries came the stock for the State House. They have been opened, I should judge, some 50 or 60 years. Mr. E. Hewett formerly worked the Cobble Hill Quarry, and upon the State House being rebuilt, he quarried quite an amount of blocks, to replace those injured by fire. It was near here that Charles Keith lost his life, while assisting in drawing one of those large blocks of granite up hill where they had to use ropes and blocks, a block giving away, and crushing him so that he died soon after. This is, so far as I know, the only fatal accident which has taken place in the town in connection with granite working, but numerous have been the narrow escapes from a fatal one by premature explosion of blasts, falling of derricks, etc. These two are the only old quarries of note in town, and while they have been worked long, yet consisting as they do of large extent, there is no exhaustion of material, but on the contrary, plenty of it and easy of access.
The Carnes Quarry, at East Barre, is worked by William Carnes, who has a shop, and finishes up his stock neatly.
"The Eastman Quarry has been opened some 4 or 5 years, and while it has not been worked to a large extent, it is good stock, and may prove to be one of the best in town.
Levi Keith has a quarry opened which is called fair stock, not developed to any great extent.
Bigelow Quarry, upon the farm of John Bigelow, was opened about 6 years ago, and is now worked by John Collins. There is a chance for quite an extensive quarry, and it may prove to be one of the principal quarries in town, though the grain is not quite so fine and dark as some.
"Mann Quarry," owned and worked by Geo. Mann, has been opened some 3 years, is of the best grain and color, but as yet the stock has been rather hard to quarry to advantage, the sheets not laying so free and even as in some of the other quarries.
The quarry of Messrs. Wetmore & Morse is one of the best, if not the best in town and has been worked nearly 20 years; was formerly worked by J. E. Parker, and has been owned and worked by Wetmore & Morse about 4 years. This is good stock, and lays in large sheets, and of late has been more extensively worked than any quarry in town. I estimate that they must have taken from this quarry during the 4 years at least 45,000 ft. of working stock and to appearance there is none the less remaining.
E. L. SMITH.
OF W. G. PARKER'S QUARRY
PAPERS FROM CHAS. A. SMITH.
THE FIRST GRANITE
J. S. Collins came to Barre in 1872, and opened a shop for the working of granite at the south end of the village, where he has since continued the business. This was the first shop of the kind opened in the village, and Mr. C. was the pioneer of the business of working granite for monumental purposes here. He at present employs five cutters at his shop and three men on the quarry, which he opened in 1876, and which is known as the Bigelow Quarry. Though the business done by Mr. Collins is less than that of some of his competitors in town, yet the excellence of the work which he was the first to send out drew attention to the value of Barre granite for monumental uses, and led to the development of the business, and as a skillful master workman, he has taught the trade to a large number, who as proprietors, or as workmen, ply the trade in other shops.
40 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
Wetmore & Morse are the largest dealers in granite in town; their shops, situated on the west of the R. R. near the depot, are arranged in a semi-circle on either side of the branch track of the R. R. with a derrick so located as to raise and move stones to and from the cars and to any part of their yards. They commenced business in 1877, in a small shed near their present location, and for a time employed but one workman beside Mr. Morse. In 1880, they employed for a time 85 workmen. They have turned out handsome specimens of monumental work. The largest job upon which they have been employed was the cutting for the Bowman Mausoleum at Cuttingsville — the receipts for this job being between fifteen and sixteen thousand dollars. They own and work the quarry known as the J. E. Parker Quarry, and on this employ from ten to twenty men.
Carleton was the seventh son of Jeremiah and Deborah Carleton, early settlers
in this town; his father, Jeremiah Carleton, died
There were 10 children, I think, in the old family. The Carletons are a family of more than average ability; with some marked peculiarities, but men of character. Rev. Hiram Carleton, D. D., is now Rector of an Episcopal church in Wood's Hole, Mass. Rev. Marcus Carleton of Umballah married Calista Bradford, daughter of Rodney Bradford of this place. Some ten or twelve years since she came unattended from India via. San Francisco arriving here in the spring of 1869, with 5 children, the eldest hardly in his teens, the youngest a mere babe. Her two eldest boys fitted for college in the Academy here; entered Amherst College, (their father's alma mater,) and graduated there; the eldest has since graduated in medicine from the College of Physicians & Surgeons in N. Y.; is with his mother; his sisters, now grown to accomplished young ladies, are soon to return to India; the 2d son has a position in the Public Library in New York.
son of Dea. Francis Clark, Senior, graduated at Dartmouth about 1840; and at Andover Theol. Sem.; was engaged for several years as a teacher in Georgia; for a time settled over the Cong. church at Orford, N. H.; subsequently went under the auspices of the American Board of Foreign Missions to Turkey; was afterwards located at Milan, Italy, both as U. S. Consul and as the head of an educational institution; some time about 1872, returned to America and purchased a home in Newbury, Vt., which he fitted up in a handsome manner, then, for several years, a private boarding school for young ladies, known as "Montebello," was kept up by his wife, (who was a daughter of Nathaniel Farrington, of Walden, Vt.,) and their daughter (an only child) who was a young lady of fine accomplishments. Mr. Clark returned to Europe about 1875 or '76, as the representative of a New York business house, and has since been for the most of the time in Germany. He returned a year or two since for his family, who returned with him, the property at Newbury being disposed of. Mr. Clark is a man of fine presence, a fine scholar, and the master of several languages.
DR. SOCRATES SHERMAN,
Native of Barre; a skillful physician; Medical Director of the Department of Virginia during the war; Member of Con-
gress one term, and at the time of his death, postmaster of Ogdensburg; died at the latter place in 1873.
WILLIAM A. DODGE,
son of Dea. Nathaniel Dodge, graduated at Burlington about the year 1844; studied law; has removed from town.
From the account of Charles A. Smith in The Barre Enterprise, the following, whose graves were covered with flowers Decoration day—last month—were
SOLDIERS OF THE REVOLUTION:
Major Wm. Bradford, Abel Camp, Gould Camp, Lemuel Clark, in Barre Cemetery; Warren Ellis, Nathan Harrington, Capt. Asaph Sherman, Nath'l Sherman, Adolphus Thurston, in Williston Cemetery; and the following
SOLDIERS IN THE WAR OF 1812:
David W. Aldrich, Sylvanus Aldrich, John Bancroft, Wm. Bassett, William Bradford, Jr., James Britain, Carver Bates, Simon Briggs, Simon Barber, Joel Bullock, Samuel Cook, Otis French, Bartholomew French, Bart. French, Jr., David French, John Gale, Israel Gale, John Hillery, Joel Holden, Reuben Lamb, Robert Parker, William Robinson, Danforth Reed, B. C. Smith, Silas Town, Thomas Town, John Wood, John Willson, Thomas Willson, Ellman Waterman, in Barre Cemetery; Joe Adams, Josiah Allen, Asa Boutwell, Eli Boutwell, Asa Blanchard, Joseph Dodge, Dan Howland, Eli Holden, Davis Harrington, Humphrey Holt, Amos Jones, Robert Morse, James Nichols, Peter Nichols, David Richardson, Baxter Sterling, Joe Sterling, Asaph Sherman, Jonathan Sherman, Benj. Thompson, Joseph Thompson, Marston Watters: IN MEXICAN WAR Charles A. Bigelow, in Williston Cemetery.
BARRE COMPANY FOR PLATTSBURGH.
BY STILLMAN WOOD.
The Military Company of Volunteers that left Barre for Burlington for the battle of Plattsburgh consisted of 117 men. This number took almost the entire set of young men whose ages were suitable for military duty, with a few old revolutionary soldiers who felt they would like to have a hand in one more battle with the red coats. The farmer left his farm, the mechanic his shop, and the merchant his store to join in the common defence, and beat back an invading foe. When the news came that the British were about to cross the river and enter Plattsburgh, the excitement was intense; to arms, was the universal response. Men gathered immediately from all parts of the town, and formed a company:
Military Roll of Barre Company of Volunteers in the War of 1812.
OFFICERS: Warren Ellis, Capt.; Nathan Stone, 1st lieut.; Armin Rockwood, 2d Lieut.; Peter Nichols, Ensign; A. Sherman, M. Sherman, B. French, C. Bancroft, Sergeants. Corporals: Moses Rood, 1st, Samuel Nichols, 3d,. P. Thompson, 4th ,Wm. Ripley, 2d. Privates: E. B. Gale, Sam'l Cook, Daniel Parker, John M. Willard, Chs. Robinson, Elijah Robinson, I. L. Robinson, Je'k. Richards, John Farwell, Silas Spear, Otis French, Jona. Markum, Andrew Davey, John Richards, Thomas Mower, Thomas Browning, John Howland, Jona. Sherman, Noah Holt, Oramel Beckley, Horace Beckley, Asa Dodge, Wm. Arbuckle, Saml. Mitchell, Josiah Allen, A. Bagley, James Hale, Enos Town, Jacob Scott, Comfort Smith, Sylvanus Goldsbury, William Goldsbury, Shubael Smith, Amos Jones, Isaiah Little, Asa Blanchard, Henry Smith, Ansel Patterson, B. Ingraham, Aaron Rood, William Bradford, Byron Potter, Danforth Reed, Emery Fuller, Willard Keith, J. Penniman, Nathaniel Batchelder, Isaac Gale, Jesse Morris, Silas Willard, R. R. Keith, Benjamin Burke, Thomas Town, Ira Day, Geo. S. Woodard, Stephen Freeman, Gideon Downing, Stephen Carpenter, Jonathan Smith, Nathan Stephens, A. West, John Bancroft, Amos Holt, M. Brown Dodge, R. W. Ketchum, John Thompson, James Britain, Orson Smith, Wm. Howard, Benjamin Richards, D. W. Averill, C. Bates, Doane Cook, Richard Smith, Josiah Bid-
42 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
well, Andrew Conant, Nath'l Batchelder, Jr., Calvin Howes, Sherman Watson, Thomas Parker, Peter Johonnott, Calvin Smith, John S. Willard, Joseph Sterling, Ira Ellis, C. Watson, Samuel Lawson, Cyrus Barber, Joseph Glidden, Seth Beckett, John Twing, Parley Batchelder, Josiah Leonard, M. Bussell, Wm. Batchelder, Wm. Bassett, David Sherburn, Isaac Salter, Asa Patridge, S. Rice, Jr., J. Nichols, J. S. Thompson, Nehemiah Boutwell, Lewis Peck, Joel Holden, Wm. Chubb, David Richardson, Guy C. Nichols, Jona. G. Chaplin, John Gale, and Pliny Wheaton.
The company went mostly on foot, and arrived at Burlington on Saturday. The battle of Plattsburg was fought on Sunday, but for lack of transportation, few, if any, of the company had a hand in it, and on the same day there being a naval battle on the lake, in which the British foe were beaten, and retreated to Canada, there being no further necessity for defence, no foe to fight, most of our men came back without crossing the lake. Some, however, went over, and some enlisted in the regular army.
This company of stalwart young men, after returning to their respective homes and occupations, in after life filled many places of honor and trust in town, and many of them acquired military titles by being elected to office in the respective companies to which they severally belonged in the State militia. In those days to gain the title of captain was considered worthy of a laudable ambition, and gave a man notoriety not otherwise easily attained. But that company of strong young men, so far as we can learn, have now all, except one, passed over the silent river to the land of peace beyond. Our neighbor Jonathan Bancroft, who was then 16 years old, went as teamster and carried baggage for the company. He is now 84, and is probably the only man now living who went to Burlington at that time. About one-half of these men have descendants or relatives now living in town, and of the rest, their families have become extinct, or removed to parts far distant from Barre.
FROM AUGUSTUS CLAFLIN,
Chairman of the Board of Selectmen in 1875, for that year.
Whole number of three years men enlisted and credited to the town, 125; one year men, 21; nine months men, 38; drafted men held to service, 17; Total, 201. Of the 17 drafted men, 8 furnished substitutes, 8 paid commutation money, and one only entered the service. The number of men who were killed or died, was 33; the number wounded and living, 15; Albert Gobar, a bounty jumper who afterwards returned under the President's proclamation of pardon, is the only deserter reported. Bounties were paid to: 23 men Co. B. 10th Reg., raised by subscription, $575; to 29 nine months men, $25 each, by subscription, $700; to 10 nine months men, $50 each, $500; to 28 three years men, $300 each, $8,400; to 14 three months men, $200 each, $2,800; to Albert and Alson French, twin brothers, one of whom was drafted, and the other enlisted to be with him, $600; to C. H. Richardson. who re-enlisted, $300; to 19 1 year men, $11,060.00; to 2 men mustered at Windsor, $1,225; to 1 colored recruit, $400; to 9 navy men, $7,200; to Byron Carlton, James Powers, C. Woodward, $1,524.50; to those who went in 2d Reg. Vt. Vols., June, 1861, by subscrip. $55.00; total $35,340.85.
The total expense to the town for select men's and surgeons' services for subsistence of recruits and other expenses incidental to raising the quota of troops under different calls, is given at $35,995.24; total public expense $71,336.09. Money was paid by individuals as follows: amount paid by enrolled men who furnished substitutes, $600; amount paid by drafted men who furnished substitutes, $2,600; amount paid by drafted men as commutation, $2,400; total $5,600.
On the page of fame
Does the soldier's valor bloom
Brighter than the roses
Cast upon his tomb.
BY CHAS. A. SMITH.
The following is a list of the men furnished by the town under the different calls for troops, including those who were drafted, paid commutation, or furnished substitutes:
Names. Reg. Co. Mustered in. Discharged. Remarks.
Lemuel A. Abbott, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. June 22, '65. Pro. 2 Lt. Co. D. Jan. 26, '63; 1st Lieut. Co. E. Jan. 17, '64; Capt. Co. G. Dec. 19, '64, enlist. reg. army in '65; now Capt.
Armory Allen, 11 E Dec. 11, '63. Aug. 25, '65. Trans. to Co. V. R. C. July 26, '64, Co. D. June 24, '64; after to Co. A.
Henry L. Averill, C L Dec. 3, '63. Aug. 9, '65. Trans. Co. D. Jan. 21, '65.
James W. Averill, 8 E Dec. 15, '63. Wound. at Winch. Va. losing part of one foot; in hospital till close of war.
John W. Averill, " " Dec. 15, '63. Jan. 28, '65. Mustered out.
James T. Bacon, 2 F June 20, '61. Jan. 29, '64. Pro. corp. pro. sergt.
Dan Barker, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Sick; disch'd Nov. 16, '64; died soon at home
Davis H. Bates, 6 B
Albert G. Bates, 8 E Feb. 18, '62. Discharged June 30, '62.
Peter N. Bates, 6 F Oct. 15, '61. Pro. corp., sergt., Dec. 28, '63; k'd Wilderness May 5, '64.
Chauncey W. Beals, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Jan. 22, '64. Discharged on sickness.
Orrin Beckley, Jr., 2 D June, 20, '61. Pro. serg; wounded; missing in battle May 10, '64.
Joel Bill, 4 G Oct. 20, '61. Discharged April 22, '63.
John Blanchard, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Feb. 22, '65. Dishc'd on acct. of wounds rec'd in Aug. '64.
Origin A. Blanchard, 2 D Sept. 20, '61. Pro. serg., must. out Sept. 20, 64.
James M. Boyce, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Died Oct. 6, '63.
Charles H. Bassett, 11 E Dec. 11, '63. Aug. 25, '65. Trans. to Co. D., to E., to A.
Albert G. Bates, 17 E Apr. 12, '64. Mustered out May 20, '65
George I. Beckley, 8 A Dec. 15, '63. Trans. to V. R. C., must. out July 24,'65. Served in Band.
Charles A. Bigelow, 17 E Apr. 12, '64. Died May 30, '64.
George W. Blanchard, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 2, '63. Sergt; re-enlisted Dec. '63 in 8th Reg.; serving in the Band; must. out Jan. 28, '65.
Albert P. Boutwell. 11 E Dec. 11, '63. Aug. 25, '65. Trans. to Co. D. to E. to A.
Edwin M. Dowman, C L Dec. 20, '63. Aug. 16, '65. Trans. to Co. D. Jan. 21, '65.
Clarence A. Brackett, 17 C Apr. 1, '64. Chosen corp. Pro. s'gt., taken pris.
Geo. Badore, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '63.
Frederick J. Barnes, 13 I " "
Calvin Bassett, 15 D Aug. 5, '63.
Origin Bates, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '63.
Ira B. Bradford, 13 " " "
Clark Boutwell, " " " " Served as drummer.
Albert J. Burrill, " " " "
J. K. Bancroft, Drafted, p'd commutation.
Warren Barnes, Procured substitute.
Kimbal Blanchard, "
Iram H. Camp, 2 D June 20, '61. Pro. corp. must. out Ju. 29, '64.
David G. Carr, 6 F Oct. 15, '61. Discharged Jan. 21, '62.
Byron Carlton, 8 I Feb. 18, '62. Must. out Jan. 22, '64, re-en.
Almon Clark, 10 As't. Surg. Com. Aug. 11, '62, pro, sur. cav. Mar. 6, '65; must. out Aug. 9, '65.
Henry L Clark, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Died, Jan. 29, '63.
William Clark, " " " June 22, '65.
William Cox, 6 F Oct. 15, '61. Missing in action, May 5, '64.
Humphrey Campbell, Bat. 3 Aug. 20, '64. June 15, '65.
Allen E. Cutts, 9 E Aug. 8, '64. June 13, '65.
Frank E. Cutts, " E Aug. 17, '64. "
Nathan J. Camp, 15 D Oct. 22, '62. Aug. 5, '63. Pro. Corp. Nov. 12, '62.
44 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
Names. Reg. Co. Mustered in, Discharged. Remarks.
Mason B. Carpenter, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '63. Pro. Sergt. Jan. 15, '63.
Orvis Carpenter, " " " "
David G. Carr, " " " "
Albert F. Dodge, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Mar. 21, '64. Re-en. Apr. 5, '64; serv. as Capt. in 9 reg. U. S.; Col. Inft.; Must. out Dec. 5, '65.
Leroy Dodge, " " " Died Oct. 28, '64.
Lewis H. Dodge, 2 D Sept. 15. '61. Died Sept. 1, '62.
Luther C. Dodge, " " Apr. 12, '62. Died June 12, '62.
Nelson E. Dodge, " " Apr. 12, '62. Pro. Corp. & to Sergt.; died in Andersonville pris.
Wesley Dodge, C C Nov. 19, '61. Pro. Corp.; miss'd in a'ct. June 23, '64; died in Rebel prison.
Jason Drury, 8 E Feb. 18, '62. Died Sept. 25, '63, of w'nds rec'd in action.
Andrew J. Dudley, 2 D Sept. 15, '61. Discharged Jan. 2, '63.
Willis P. Durkee, 4 B Sept. 20, '61. Discharged Apr. 23, '63.
Chas. Davis, 8 I Dec. 15, '63. Jan. 28, '65.
Alfred Deuquet, 17 H May 10, '64. July 14, '65.
Henry M. Dudley, " " May 10, '64. Chos. Corp.; died July 31, '64, of w'nds. rec'd. act'n. Jun. 24 '64.
John M. Durant, 11 E Dec. 11, '63. Died of wounds, July 31, '64.
Moses Duso, 11 E " June 23, '65.
William H. Duval, " " " May 23, '65.
Henry A. Dow, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '63. Re-enlisted Dec. 21, '63.
Alson Downing, Drafted; paid commutation.
Chas. F. Durrill, Drafted; paid commutation.
Edward P. Evans, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Trans. to V. R. C. Nov. 25, '64.
Ira H. Evans, " " " Disch'd. Dec. 22, '63, by order of War Department.
Perley Farrar, " " " Killed in action May 19, '64.
Joseph W. Fisher, 4 D
Erastus D. French, 8 E Feb. 18, '62. Died Nov. 10, '62.
Orlando French, C C Nov. 10, '61. Oct. 31, '62.
Alfred B. Fisher, 8 A Dec. 15, '63. Jan. 29, '65. Served in Band.
Albert French, 5 E May 26, '64. May 13, '65.
Henry W. French, 8 F Dec. 15, '63. Jan. 29, '65. Served in Band.
Charles G. French, 15 D Sept. 15, '62. Aug. 5, '63. Served as Captain.
Alson French, 15 E May 12, '64. May 13, '65.
Henry P. Gale, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Died, Barre. Mar. 23, '64. Disch'd.
Geo. W. Goodrich, 2 D June 20, '61. June 29, '64.
John Gabbaree, 17 H May 14, '64. Died July 3, of w'ds recd. in action.
Albert Gobar, 17 H May 19, '64, Deserted
Fred. M. Gale, 13 I Dec. 15, '63. Jan. 29, '65 Served in Band. Re-en. Dec. 15, '63. Disch'd Jan. 29, '66.
Ira L. Gale, Drafted. Paid commutation.
John A. Goldsbury, Procured substitute.
Nathan Harrington, 2 D Sept. 20, '61. Sept. 20, '64.
Chas. E. L. Hills, 8 E Feb. 18, '62. Died
Eli Holden, C C Nov. 19, '61. Only one from Barre 1st Vt. Reg. 3 mos. men, re-en. Co. C Vt. Cav. mus. 1st Serg. Nov. 19, '61, pro. 2d and 1st Lt., tak. pris. in action, Sept. 25, '63, in Libbey, Danville, Macon, Columbia, escaped Col. prison, retaken after a week, mus. out, paroled pris. March 15, '65.
Calvin Holt, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. June 22, '65.
Hezekiah D. Howland, 17 E May 3, '64. Died at Salisbury, N. C,
Orwell J. Hosford, 9 F Aug. 19, '64. June 13, '65.
Bradley D. Hall, 15 D Oct. 22, '62. Aug. 5, '63. Must. out at Cold River. Re-enlisted in 11th Reg.
Geo. F. Harroun, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '63. Re-en. Sept. 5, '64, 1st Vt. Cav. Killed Nov. 12, '64, in Shen.
William Henderson, 15 D Oct. 22,'62. Aug. 5, '63.
William W. Holden, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '63. Served as Corporal.
Chas. H. Howard, " " " "
Robert Humphrey, " " " "
Names. Reg. Co. Mustered in. Discharged. Remarks.
Nelson E. Heath, Drafted; paid commutation.
Henry C. Jones, 2 D June 20, '61. Pro. Sergt.; must. out June 2, '64.
Albert Jones, 17 E Mar. 3, '64. July 14, '65.
Ezra N. Jones, 17 H May 19, '64. "
Alexander Jangraw, 3 Aug. 19, '64. June 15, '65. In battery.
Nelson Johnson, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '73.
Clinton Keith, 11 E Dec. 11, '63. Jan. 24, '65.
Henry Ketchum, " " " Jan. 2, '65.
William Kirkland, 13 H Oct. 10, '62. July 21, '63.
Alonzo G. Lane, 6 G Apr. 12, '62. Nov. 24, '62.
Samuel Leger, 2 D Jan. 20, '61. Discharged Mar. 7, '62.
Napoleon Lafrenier, 17 H May 10, '64. July 14, '65. Served as musician.
Stephen Leazer, 3 Aug. 18, '64, June 15, '65 In battery.
Heman Lamphier, 15 D Oct. 22, '62. Discharged Nov. 27, '62.
Marshal B. Lawrence, 13 I Oct. 4, '62. July 21, '73.
Geo. W. Lawson, Procured substitute.
John McLaughlin, C C Nov. 19, '61. Nov. 18, '64.
Horace C. Meaker, 6 D Apr. 12, '62. May 28, '64.
Francis Miner, 3 K July 16, '61. Feb. 1, '64.
William E. Martin, 17 E Apr. 9, '64, 1st Lieut.; killed near Petersburgh, July 30, '64.
Wm. W. McAlister, 3 Aug. 9, '64, June 15, '65. In battery.
Daniel Moses, Drafted; paid commutation.
Erastus W. Nichols, C C Nov. 19, '61. Died
Azro E. Nichols, 3 Aug. 24,'64, June 15, '65. Battery.
George W. Nichols, 13 H Oct. 23, '62. July 21, '64.
William Olds, 8 D Jan. 15, '64.
Charles H. Page, 3 F July 16, '61. Discharged Feb. 28, '63.
Alfred S. Parkhurst, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Jan. 22, '64.
H. N. Parkhurst, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Mustered out May 13, '65.
Eugene C. Peck, 3 K July 16, '61. Discharged Jan. 23, '62.
George W. Perrin, 8 E Feb. 18, '62. Jan. 22, '64.
George W. Phelps, 9 I July 9, '62. June 13, '65.
J. Parker Page, 8 G Dec. 15, '63. July 7, '65. Served In Band.
George B. Putnam, 8 G Dec. 15, '63. Died Nov. 27, '64. Served in Band,
Charles Parkhurst, 9 G Aug. 15, '64. Trans. to Co. G., 4th Vt. Vol. Jan. 20, '65.
Lyman D. Parkhurst, 9 F Aug. 23,'64. Trans. to Co. G., 5th Vt. January 20, '65.
Leander Perry, 13 I Aug. 4, '62. July 21, '63 Re-enlist. in Co. F. 9 Reg. must. in Jan. 6, 64; report. absent and s'k when must. out June 13, '63.
Charles H. Perry, 13 I Oct. 21, '62. July 21, '63. Enlist. in Co. F. 9 Reg, Jan. 6. '64; made corp. June 29, '64; serg. March 17, '65; 1 serg. June 9, '65, trans. to Co. B. June 13, '65.
Heman G. Perry, 15 D Oct. 22, '62. Aug. 5, '63.
Chas. A. Richardson, 2 D Sept. 20, '61. Re-enlist. Jan. 3, '64; trans. to V. R. C., Apr. 26, '65; must. out July 20, '64.
Lafayette G. Ripley, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Trans. to V. R. C., Feb. 21, '65; must. out July 8, '65.
John H. Rublee, 10 B Must. out June 22, '65.
Hiram Robinson, 11
George S. Robinson, 17 E Apr. 12, '64, Elect. capt.; must. out July 14, '64.
Joseph Rose, 17 H May 19, '64. Killed near Petersburgh, Va., July 27, '64,
Albert Rogers, 9 G Aug. 6, '64. May 13, '65.
W. F. Richardson, 15 D Oct. 22, '62. Aug. 5, '63.
William H. Riddall, 13 I Oct. 10, '62. July 21, 63.
Albert Rogers, 15 D Oct. 22, '62. Aug. 5, '63.
Seth T. Sargent, 10 B Sept. 1, 62. Mustered out June 22, '65.
George W. Savory, C C Nov. 19, '61. Nov. 18, '64.
Prentiss S. Scribner, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. June 22, '65.
Albert Smith, 2 D June 20, '61. Must. in corp; disch'd Nov. 1, '62.
William Smith, 8 I Feb. 18, '62. Disch'd for sickness; re-enlisted.
Calvin Stowe, C C
Rufus Streeter, 10 B Sept. 22, '62. Jan. 28, 65.
Lemuel D. Strong, 2 D June 20, '61. Must. in corp. pro. sergt. must. out June 29, '64.
46 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
Names. Reg. Co. Mustered in. Discharged. Remarks.
Hiram Smith, Jr., 11 E Dec. 11, '63. Lost an arm and leg; disch'd Sept. 14, '65.
Lewis Sterling, 11 E Dec. 11, '63, Jan. 16, 65.
Lathan T. Seaver, C C Aug. 23, '64. Jan 21, '65.
Charles D. Slack. 8 G Aug. 15, '64. Died March 15, '65.
Chas. W. Stoddard, 3 Aug. 19, '64. Battery. Died Jan, 16, '65.
William D. Sanborn, 15 D Oct. 22, '62. Aug. 5, '63.
Charles E. Smith, Drafted; paid commutation.
George D. Taft, 3 K July 16, '61. Killed in action May 5, 64
Joseph B. Thompson, 9 I July 9, '62. June 13, '65. Made corp. July 15, '64.
Ozias H. Thompson, 3 K July 16, '61. July 11, '65. 1st Serg. re-enlist. Dec. 1, '63; pro. 2d and 1st Lieut. Aug. 4, '64.
Eldon A. Tilden, 2 D Sept. 20, '61. Pro. 2d Lieut. Nov. 20, '63; must. out Jan. 29, '64.
Oel M. Town, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. June 22, '65.
Ira H. Tompkins, 11 E Dec. 11, '65, Killed at Cedar Creek, Oct. 19, '64.
John M. Thatcher, 13 I Oct. 10, '62. July 21, '63. Served as Captain.
Jude Town, Drafted; paid commutation.
Samuel C. Vorse, C C Nov. 19, '61. Re-enlisted Dec. 28, '63; Pro. Co. Q. M. Sergt.
Nelson W. Wheelock, 10 B Sept. 1, '62. Died December 3, '63.
Preston B. Willey, 2 D June 20, '61. June 29, '64.
Henry Wires, C F
Albert P. Wood, 13 I Dec. 15, '63. Jan. 28, '65. Re-enlisted must. out Oct. 10, '62.
Warren F. Wood, 11 E Dec. 11, '65. Jan. 29, '65.
Wm. W. Woodbury, " " Wounded; trans. to Vet. Res. C. 65; must out Aug 1, '65.
Chas. H. Willey, 9 G Jan. 2, '64. Died Apr. 1, '65.
Harvey Willey, 9 G Aug. 15, '64. June 13, '65.
Chas. C. Varney, 13 D Oct 4, 62. July 23, '63. Served as Sergeant.
Geo. E. Varney, " " " "
Stephen G. West, " " " Died May 17, '63.
Horace Woodard, Drafted, paid comt.
James Powers, 8 G Feb. 20, '65. June 28, '65.
Thomas Henthon, 8 C Jan. 6, 65.
James Hooper, 8 H Jan. 5. '65.
Chas. E. Woodward, 10 3 Feb. 7, 65. Absent sick when reg. was mustered out.
Alex. F. E. Ahlsstrom, H. S. Navy; Lemuel Bean, George Dailey, Harry Johnson, John Peterson, Samuel Thurber, were hired of brokers, entered the navy, and no record of their service is attainable. Leonard Bancroft, Levi J. Bolster, Geo. I. Reynolds, drafted; paid commutation.
In addition to the names given above the following who served in the war were not reckoned in the quota of the town: Leonard F. Aldrich, Quartermaster 13 Vt.; Orvis F. Jackman, Co. A, 7 Ohio, lost his right arm at Chancellorsville, was discharged, and afterwards served in Quartermaster department under Gen. Pitkin.
BURIED IN BARRE CEMETERY.—Stephen G. Albee, James T. Bacon, Albert Bates, Peter N. Bates, Dan. Barker, Rufus Carver, Henry L. Clark, Orrin B. Dickey, Orlan French, H. Warner French, Henry Gale, M. B. Lawrence, James J. Nolan, E. W. Nichols, William Olds, Rufus Streeter, Stephen G. West, Win. Woodbury, George D. Taft, Wilber Tilden.
BURIED IN WILSON CEMETERY.—Horace Bigelow, Wesley Dodge, Zary Dodge, Heman Levy.
BURIED IN FARWELL CEMETERY.—L. Richards, Newell Carlton, C. H. Howard, James L. Dow.
William Howland enlisted for the town of East Montpelier into the 17th Reg., was killed in Battle of the Wilderness; was a brother of Hezekiah D., who died in Salisbury Prison, and the son of Ezekial Howland of this place. Charles Carpenter enlisted for Montpelier, into Co. C. of the Cavalry.
BY S. WOOD.
Keith was a man noted for energy and perseverance, and whatever enterprise he
undertook was generally a success. He came from his native town, Uxbridge,
Mass., with his young family, the youngest being only three months old,
September, 1801, and settled in Barre. He was born
Hon. Chapin Keith was Judge of the probate court for several years, and afterwards high sheriff for many more years. He also held many town offices, and was much interested in the Chelsea turnpike, on which his tavern was located.
When he first arrived from Uxbridge with his young family, he was duly warned out of town, lest he should become a charge on the good people of Barre. it was a custom of the time, if any came that it was doubtful about. But he never failed to take care of himself and his. His wife was also truly a helpmeet, and did her full share in getting a living; as landlady she excelled.
Judge Keith, although a good judge of property matters, and an active business man, could never speak in public except with great diffidence. While sheriff it became his duty to proclaim who was governor, and after the votes had been counted, he finished by saying, "God save the King," when he meant to have said "the People." He used to relate that it cost him several gallons of wine to mend that mistake. He was very successful, as elsewhere said, in his tavern-keeping.
oldest son of Judge Chapin, and the late judge Keith
of Montpelier, where he died
From Thompson's History of Montpelier.
A son of the Hon. Chapin Keith, late of Barre, was born in Uxbridge, Mass., Apr. 9, 1800, and before he was a year old came with his father's family to Barre, Vermont. At the age of sixteen, having shown himself a good and industrious scholar in the English branches taught in the common school of his home village, he commenced fitting for college at Randolph Academy, in the spring of 1816. In 1818 he entered Un. College, at Schenectady, N. Y., and in 1822, was graduated with a good reputation for scholarship and moral character, then, for a year or two, taught in the State of Virginia as private tutor in the family of a wealthy planter; when he returned to the North, and commenced the study of the law in the office of the Hon. William Upham in Montpelier. Having completed the usual course of legal studies, he was admitted to the bar in I826. and commenced practice in this village, at first alone, and afterwards, for three or four years succeeding 1830, in company with Mr. Upham. In about 1837, a brother of C. W. Storrs of Montpelier died in St. Louis, Missouri, leaving considerable property, and Mr. Keith was employed by the relatives of the deceased to go to St. Louis and gather up and settle the estate. After executing this commission to the advantage of all concerned, he returned to Montpelier, not however to resume his profession, but to accept the office of Treasurer in the Vermont Mutual Fire Insurance Company, which was tendered him by the Directors. But after acceptably executing the duties of this office a year or two, he resigned the post to accept another commission to settle an estate of a deceased Vermonter in the South, one of the brothers Elkins, from Peacham, Vt., who had been in business as cotton brokers in the city of New Orleans. The estate was found to be large, and its affairs so complicated as to require the labor and attention of years to bring to a close. For the next ten or twelve years, therefore, Mr. Keith took up his residence in New Orleans, and remained there through all but the hot and sickly months of the year, which he spent mostly in Montpelier, having generally brought with him, at each
48 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE•
annual return, such sums of money as he had been able to collect out of the different investments of the estate, for division among the Elkins heirs. After pursuing this course some ten years, assiduously engaged in the difficult, and, in many respects, dangerous position, he succeeded in bringing the affairs of the estate mainly to a close, except in the case of the large quantity of Mexican scrip which was left on hand, and which was considered only of chance value. He agreed on a division of this uncertain property between the heirs and himself, the consideration offered to them being his promise to make no charge for any future services. In a year or two after this bargain the general government decided to redeem this Mexican scrip; and Mr. Keith, being fortunate enough by means of arguments made potent by some of the existing cabinet, to get his claims rather promptly allowed, realized for his share of the venture the snug sum of $35,000, which, with his previous accumulations, made him a man of fortune.
year 1852 was mostly occupied in making the tour of Europe, and, having
returned to Montpelier the following year, he was seized with what was supposed
to be a brain fever, which terminated fatally
Calvin Jay Keith was buried in the family lot of Judge Chapin Keith, in Barre, but a monument was set up at Montpelier by his administrator.
KEITH, the fourth son of Chapin Keith, was born Jan. 1798. He married Judith
Wood, who is still living and active, July '81, though but a few days of 80 years
old. Cheney was a well-to-do and industrious man, well educated, and also a
leading and influential man in town business. He died
KEITH, brother of Roswell, was born
KEITH, the third son of Judge Chapin, was born
From Obituary in Watchman & journal.
Born in Wilbraham, Mass.; for 40 years
a citizen of Barre; in mill-building long stood without a known rival. His machine-shop and mill-wrighting establishment at Barre village had a reputation extending far beyond the town and county even. It is the boast of scores of mechanics that they learned their trade of Joshua Twing. It was a custom with him to encourage poor young men to learn a trade, and then, with a good character and diligent hand, work their way up to distinction. He first learned his trade as an ap prentice to a machinist, after which he was emphatically self-made; and the moment success began to crown his labors for himself, he turned to his straitened parents and provided for them. In this respect his example was like that of Joseph to his father, Jacob; and the same cup of kindness came back to cheer his declining years, from the hands of his children. Strictly honest in all his extensive dealings, and generous to a fault, the memory of him embalmed with the blessings of the poor, he still left an ample estate, the result of a long life of industry and personal prudence. He died in Montpelier, at the residence of his son-in-law, H. S. Loomis, in his 82d year, and labored with his own hands up to the last week of his life. He was buried in Barre Cemetery, where a fine granite monument has been erected to his memory.
From the Eulogy delivered before the New Hampshire Antiquarian Society,
BY L. W. COGSWELL, PRESIDENT.
On the evening of the 19th of Nov. 1859, three young men met in a room over one of the stores in Hopkinton village, and formed themselves into an organization under the name of "The Philomathic Club." These young men were Silas Ketchum, Darwin C. Blanchard and Geo. E. Crowell. The number of this club was limited to seven. It was made a part of the compact "the Club should never cease except by unanimous consent, and so long as two of its members lived." The original design was social intercourse and literary culture.
private collection of relics, minerals and natural curiosities, belonging to
Mr. Ketchum, was in May, 1860, placed in a room in Mr. Crowell's house, fitted
for the purpose, and dedicated by the Club Oct. 13, following, in which room
the Club met till
Ketchum was chosen Secretary of the Club,
KETCHUM, son of Silas and Cynthia (Doty) Ketchum, was born in Barre, Vt.,
He was a good boy, thoughtful beyond his years, but feeble in his childhood, unable to ever complete a full term of school till after twelve; fond of fishing in his youth, but as he grew old, turned his leisure moments to books. In 1854, his father removed from Barre, Vt., to Hopkinton, N. H., and Silas learned and followed the trade of a shoemaker till 1855. But while steadily working at his trade, a more and more increasing desire for a knowledge that could take him upward out of his every-day duties pervaded him, and on his father's death, relying upon his own abilities, he resolved to obtain an educa‑
50 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
first public address was delivered before the Lyceum at Warner, N. H., in the
autumn of 1858; his subject was "Philip at
preacher in the pulpit, meeting his congregation with something fresh and original. He was pleasing. His short, sharp, crisp sentences arrested his auditors; they could but listen till the last word was spoken. Earnest in his utterances, deliberate in argument, concise in his statements, with purity of diction and loftiness of thought, he commanded the interest of his congregation, and where he preached for any length of time it was soon doubled and trebled. Of him as an antiquarian and historian, his collections in the rooms of this society, one of the very largest of its kind in this country, speaks better words of commendation for him than I can utter, and stands as a more enduring monument than words can erect in honor of him.
Of his domestic relations suffice it to say, notwithstanding the immense amount of labor performed by him, his home, his family, was never forgotten, within that sacred, happy circle he was the central light. But he is gone from us, and is now transfigured and with the immortals. He was taken in the prime of life, with so much accomplished and so much left undone.
(From the resolutions passed at this meeting of the N. H. Antiq. & Hist. Society)
"We here formally declare, and cause to be recorded for posterity to learn, that to the Rev. Silas Ketchum's thought, personal labors, generous munificence, and untiring zeal, this New Hampshire Antiquarian Society is indebted more than to any others, not only for its existence, but for its present proportions and prosperity."
"We recognize that New Hampshire as a state has lost one of her richest scholars, most logical thinkers, and most accurate historians, and society a most exemplary Christian man, whose daily walk was an inspiration to holy living."
very interesting description in the Argus and Patriot, of
foremost industry in Barre to-day (1877) is the manufacture of forks and ice
tools. In 1861, two Brookfield men, Herrick and Adams, established themselves
at the mill-privilege in the upper part of Barre village; run four fires and
one trip-hammer, and turned out from 300 to 600 dozen per year of round-tined
hay and manure-forks. Frank Safford and Loren D. Blanchard bought the business
in 1864, and Blanchard sold out to Clark Holden. The first year's business of
this new firm was 1500 dozen forks. In '68 they added the manufacture of ice-plows
and tools. From '68 to '77, sold some years 250 to 300 ice-plows with the
ice-tools: Among other partners and stockholders to the present, have been Luke
and Ira Trow, Hial O. Hatch (foreman,) L. T. Kinney; in March '76, the
reorganization as a stock company; Stafford and Holden half owners; of the
other half ten other citizens of Barre owners; loss of some $12,000 by Chicago
fire; totally destroyed by fire March, '77; rebuilt same year; foundation and
flume split granite; forge-room 40 by 100 feet; 20 fires; 5 60-pound trip hammers
and ice-tool machinery; cost about $6,000. The company use cast-steel in all
their manufactures, made especially for them. There are 6 polishing machines
for forks, one for ferrule and one for wooden handles; amount of work about
15,000 dozen per year of not less than 60 different patterns; employ about 50
Statement of the Company, June, 1881: 17,000 dozen forks made in 1880; this year about the same; about $3,000 worth of new machinery put in; is now one of the most perfectly equipped shops in the country: directors: Josiah Wood, B. W. Braley, Dexter Trow, E. B. Wood, Horace Fifield; Clark Holden, superintendent and treasurer; Nat. Whittier, assistant.
1796, Nicholas Snethen; 1797, Ralph Williston; 1798 and '99, Joseph Crawford; 1799, Elijah Chichester; 1800, Timothy Dewey; 1801, Truman Bishop and Thomas Branch; 1802, Solomon Langdon and Paul Dustin; 1803, Samuel Draper and Oliver Beale; 1804, Oliver Beale; 1805, Elijah Hedding and Daniel Young; 1806, Philip Munger and Jonathan Cheney; 1807, Samuel Thompson and Eleazer Wells; 1808, Solomon Sias; 1809, Warren Banister and George Gary; 1810, Eleazer Wells and
Squire Streeter; 1811, Nathaniel W. Stearns and John Jewett; 1812, Ebenezer F. Newell and Joseph Dennett; 1813, David Kilburn; 1814, David Kilburn and Jason Walker; 1815, Joel Steele; 1816, Joel Steele and Thomas C. Pierce; 1817 and '18, Leonard Frost; 1819, Thomas C. Pierce; 1820, Squire B. Haskell and E. Dunham; 1821, John F. Adams and Abraham Holway; 1822, John F. Adams, D. Leslie and Z. Adams; 1823, Samuel Norris and Hascall Wheelock; 1824, D. Kilburn, H. Wheelock and A. H. Houghton; 1825, J. Lord, D. Leslie and Elihu Scott; 1826, A. D. Merrill and J. Templeton; 1827, J. B. White, E. Jordan and R. L. Harvey; 1828, Amasa Buck and D. Stickney; 1829, J. Templeton and J. Nayson; 1830, J. A. Scarritt and R. H. Deming; 1831, N. W. Scott and R. H. Deming; 1832, N. W. Scott and George F. Crosby; 1833, S. H. Cutler and J. Nayson; 1834, N. Howe and Otis F. Curtis; 1835, Geo. Putnam and L Wooster; 1836, Elihu Scott and D. Wilcox; 1837, E. J. Scott and Moses Lewis; 1838, N. W. Aspinwall; 1839, N. Culver; 1840 and '41, J. Currier; 1842 and '43, J. L. Slauson; 1844 and '45, A. Webster; 1846, J. W. Perkins; 1847 and '48, B. Bedford; 1849 and '50, C. Fales; 1851 and '52, J. S. Dow; 1853, E. Copeland; 1854, E. Robinson; 1855, E. Copeland; 1856 and '57, Isaac McAnn; 1858, A. T. Bullard; 1859 and '60, J. L. Roberts; 1861 and '62, David Packer; 1863 and '64, H. K. Cobb; 1865, J. W. Bemis; 1866 and '67, Lewis Hill; 1868, Joshua Gill; 1869, Joseph A. Sherburn; 1870, '71 and '72, Peter Merrill; 1873, J. M. Puffer, (deceased while pastor); 1874, Walter Underwood; 1875, '76 and '77, W. H. Wight; 1878, '79 and '80, Harvey Webster; 1881, J. R. Bartlett.
The above list of preachers received since in press from Rev. Mr. Bartlett now at Barre, Editor of the Christian Messenger, author of the interesting pamphlet "Methodism in Williamstown." Rev. Mr. Bartlett has taken in hand a complete history of the Methodists in Barre which will be in pamphlet, and is promised to the supplement volume of this work. ED.
completion of the railroad to Barre being accomplished and thoroughly celebrated,
the next thing in connection with the railroad looked for, was the telegraph at
the village depot, which was duly opened, sending its first telegram,
Barre Fire Company, page 36, took the second prize, $200 at the trial in
SAMUEL GOODELL, who resides at Massena, N. Y., and who frequently writes for the newspapers—we have seen his verses in the Barre Enterprise of late—was "a Barre boy," and there are others natives of the town, both among the living and the dead, who should be all counted back to Barre before the record is finally closed for the first hundred years of her history.
ADDENDA: Page 16. The number of soldiers credited to Barre in the county table is incorrect. See selectmen's report for 1865; page 42.
24, 2d col.,
Goddard Seminary, page 26, the dates for, was taken from the record of 1880, since which, Dr. Braley has died—see notice page 25; and J. M. Haynes, Esq., of St. Albans, is present vice president. The name, also, of the second principal, page 25, is Hawes and not Harris—F. M. Hawes. Page 48, for Susan Cook, read Mrs. Susan Town Cook.
We must also ask leniency for a few typographical errors in the County chapter. The proof sent to the author at a distance returned too late for corrections in place; we noted them for insertion here, and have made the mistake to lose the paper, and to send the proofs with them to another writer; they may be added to the addenda at close of the County.