BY SYLVANUS F. NYE.
BERLIN in Washington Co., lat. 40° 13,' long. 4° 25,' near the centre of the State, bounded N. by Middlesex, Montpelier and part of East Montpelier, E. by Barre and part of Williamstown, S. by Northfield and part of Williamstown, and W. by Moretown, was chartered June 8, 1763, wherein it was declared "and is hereby incorporated into a township by the name of Berlin."—Book of Charters, page 473-474: 70 equal shares.
The first settlement was commenced in the summer of 1785, by Ebenezer Sanborn from Corinth, on what was afterwards known as the "Bradford farm," about half a mile from the mouth of Dog river, and Joseph Thurber from N. H., on a place near the mouth of the same river, since known as the "Shepard farm." Sanborn and Thurber removed the next year to the State of New York. In 1786, Moses Smith moved into the S. E. corner of the town, and in 1787, Daniel Morse from the town of Washington, with his family on to the place left by Thurber, and Jacob Fowler from Corinth, to that of Sanborn, and John Lathrop from Bethel, into the S. E. part of the town. In 1788, Daniel Morse left, and his place was occupied by Hezekiah Silloway from Corinth. In 1789, eight families were added, making in all thirteen, and in 1790, eight more. The first town meeting was warned by John Taplin, a Justice of the Peace, and held March 31, 1791, at the dwelling-house of Aaron Strong; James Sawyer, moderator, David Nye, clerk, Zachariah Perrin, Eleazer Hubbard and James Sawyer, selectmen; Micajah Ingham, constable. The first roads through the town were "the old Brookfield road," entering the town from the south and passing west of the Pond to Montpelier and the "Coos road" from Connecticut river to Burlington, which passed through the town from Barre village to the first named road at the "Bugbee place." The first school in town was kept in a log school-house, standing on east street near the brick house built by the late Dea. David Nye, by Mrs. Titcomb in the summer of 1794, and by the wife of Dr. Collins in 1795.
The first school on Dog river was kept by Dr. Gershom Heaton in the winter of 1794-5, in a log-house near the residence of the late Justus Brown.
The first saw-mill was built by Eleazer Hubbard in 1791, on the upper falls of Pond brook, now known as "Benjamin's Falls," and a grist-mill a little below the saw-mill one year later. The nearest mill for some time after the first settlement was at Corinth, more than 28 miles distant, and not patronized by our settlers to a great extent, who preferred to live on pound cake; the recipe for making: a hole burned in the top of a large stump; the grain put in, pounded to such fineness as the pounder could afford, and then made into bread.
The first store and tavern was kept by Jonas Parker in the house afterwards the residence of "Israel Dewey, about 1800." The next was opened in the building formerly standing south of the above, by Charles Huntoon, about 1806. A year or two after, he built at the corner opposite the large square house used for many years as a tavern. His successors in the mercantile business were Bemsley Huntoon, Orrin Carpenter (in 1816), Bigelow & Wheatley, Andrew Wheatley, Farmer's and Mechanics' Interest Co., Heaton and Denney who closed out the business soon after 1850, since which time there has been no store kept in the town. The town is diversified by hills and valleys. Stevens' branch crosses the N. E. corner. A little east of the centre lies the valley of the Pond and Pond brook, and in the western part the valley of Dog river. The eastern part of the town was originally covered with a dense growth of hard wood, maple, beach, birch, elm, etc., with a mixture of spruce, hemlock and basswood, and in the swamps cedar and ash. On the mountain in the centre upon the south side of the town there is a quantity of butternut, while west of Dog river there is a larger proportion of spruce and hemlock. The soil is
54 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
well adapted to the growth of English grains and grasses, and in favorable locations Indian corn is cultivated in perfection.
The first marriage of parties living in town was Joshua Swan to Miss Collins, in —— . Tradition says, there being snow on the ground, the bride-elect took her seat on a hand-sled, and the gallant bridegroom, with one or two to assist, drew her to Middlesex, where lived the nearest justice of the peace (probably Esq. Putnam) where the twain were duly made one flesh, when the bride resumed her seat upon the sled, and returned home by the way she came, on the same day, having made a bridal tour of about 15 miles.
The first births in town were Abigail K., daughter of Jacob and Abigail Black, in 1789, who became the wife of Ira Andrews, and died in 1864, and Porter Perrin, Feb. 1790, who died May 17, 1871.
The first deaths were in 1789, an infant child of John Lathrop, and a little later, the Widow Collins, aged 88 years.
DR. EBENEZER COLLINS, who remained in town but a short time.
DR. GERSHOM HEATON, born in Swanzey, N. H., 1773; removed at an early age to Hanover, N. H.; graduated at the medical department in Dartmouth College about 1795, and came about the same time to Berlin; but after a short practice, quit his profession, went to farming, and eventually accumulated a handsome property; died Jan. 1850, aged 77 years.
DR. JACOB MILLER, a native of Middleboro, Mass.; graduated at Dartmouth College in 1804; pursued his medical studies with Nathan Smith, M. D., and attended lectures at Dartmouth Medical College. His name is not found, however, in the list of graduates. He married Parthenia Dewey, of Hanover, N. H., Mar. 10, 1808, (born in Hanover, N. H., Feb, 13, 1781, M. 2d, Thomas Beach, of Stratford, N. H., where she died 21, Feb. 1846), and probably settled in Berlin about this time. He was regarded as a physician of uncommon promise, but fell a victim to the spotted fever then prevailing as an epidemic through the State, and died Jan. 19, 1813. He left one son, Jedediah, born in Berlin, Sept. 15, 1811; graduated M. D. at Dartmouth College in 1839, and died in New York city a few years since.
DR. JOHN WINSLOW
was born in Pomfret, Vt., Mar. 10, 1788; read with his uncle, Dr. Joseph Winslow, of Windsor, attending lectures at Dartmouth Medical College, and practicing with his uncle in Windsor 2 years. He settled in Berlin after the death of Dr. Miller in 1813. Dr. W. held a good rank with the practitioners of his time, being frequently called as counsel, and having an extensive practice in Berlin and other towns adjoining, until he relinquished practice, soon after the death of his first wife. He was respected as a citizen for his liberality in whatever contributed to the public weal, and as a Christian for his consistent life and support to the church and its institutions. He died July 1, 1871, aged 83 years.
Dr. Winslow was married 1st to Sarah Bishop, (born in Windsor, Dec. 17, 1791; died Apr. 7, 1835); 2d, to Keziah Heaton, (born in Hanover, N. H., 1800); children, a daughter, who died before the death of his first wife, and a son, John F. Winslow, who now resides in Berlin.
DR. ORIN SMITH,
son of Christopher Smith, born in Marlow, N. H., July 27, 1807, at an early age removed with his parents to Williamstown, Vt.; when nineteen, studied medicine with Dr. Z. O. Burnham, of Williamstown, and in 1830, received the degree of M. D. in the University of Vermont. He commenced practice in Berlin, and heartily devoted himself to his profession. Nov. 1830, he was married to Julia, daughter of Abel Knapp, Esq. Of 7 children by this marriage, one son and daughter only are now, (1873), living, in Illinois.
Dr. Smith repeatedly held town offices; in 1834, '35, '37, '49 was town representative, and after a successful practice of nearly 20 years in Berlin, removed to Montpelier, and in 1853, became professor
of obstetrics, etc., in the University of Vermont, but removed to Chicago finally, where he held a high position as a physician. He died in Chicago, Aug. 1867, aged 60 years.
JACOB FOWLER was the first settler who resided here permanently, or left descendants in town. He was a hunter, and had often been through the town on Winooski river and its branches during, and perhaps previous to, the Revolutionary War. At the time of the burning of Royalton in 1780, when the Indians went down the Winooski, he was up Waterbury river. On returning to the mouth of the river, he came on the trail, and followed it back to Berlin Pond. Finding indications of encampments at the mouth of Dog river, and on the west side of Berlin Pond, near the neck, he supposed they had been to Newbury or Corinth until he arrived at this place, when the trail bearing to the south, he concluded they had come from another direction. He has sometimes been accused, but probably unjustly, of having been a Tory. It is said that he was enlisted in the garrison stationed at Corinth during the latter part of the Revolutionary War, and was employed by Gen. Wait, the commander, as an Indian scout. It is related of him, by the late Hon. D. P. Thompson:
"I used to think," said the hunter, "I had as much wit as any wild varmint that was ever scared up in our woods. But a sly old moose once completely baffled me in trying to get a shot at him. This animal's usual range was on Irish hill, in the vicinity of Berlin Pond. This I discovered by finding one day, as I was coming along the margin of the pond, a path leading down to the water, which I knew, by the tracks of great size, and of different degrees of freshness, was made by a large moose that must have come down daily to drink. On making this discovery I resolved to have him. But after trying on three different days to get a shot at him, I utterly failed; for either by the keenness of his sight, or smell, or hearing, he always took the alarm, and made off without allowing me more than a mere glimpse of him. As I was turning away from the last attempt, it occurred to me there might be other ways to choke a dog than by giving him bread and butter, so I laid a plan my moose would not be looking for. The next day I shouldered a bear trap I possessed, weighing nearly forty pounds, with the iron teeth more than an inch long, went up to the pond, and set it at the water's edge in the path where he came down to drink, chained it securely to a sapling, and went home. The next day I went there again, and as I drew near my trap, I saw a monstrous moose stand over the spot where I had set it. He had got one fore-foot into it, and those murderous interlocking teeth had clenched his fetlock and held him like a vice. The next moment I put a bullet through his heart, and brought him to the ground, when cutting out his tongue, lips, and the best part of a round, I went home not a little proud of the exploit of outwitting him at last.
It is said that Fowler spent the last years of his life in Canada, and died there at an advanced age.
came to Berlin from Corinth in 1788, and settled on the "Shepard farm" at the mouth of Dog river, where he resided about twenty years, when he sold the farm to Mr. Shepard, and removed to Montpelier, where he lived till his death, at the age of 90 years. He had been a Revolutionary soldier.
HON. SALVIN COLLINS,
born in Southboro, ——— , Mar. 6, 1768, when about twenty-three, came to Berlin, and purchased a farm adjoining Zachariah Perrin and Jabez Ellis, to this day known as the old Collins farm. He married Rebecca Wilder, of Lancaster, Mass., and had 5 children. His eldest daughter married Hon. John Spaulding, of Montpelier. After 14 or 15 years, Mr. Collins sold his farm to Zachariah Perrin, and moved to the "Corners," then containing a store, tavern and several mechanics shops. In 1805 and '6 he was representative of the town; in 1811, assistant Judge of the new Co. of Jefferson, and took up his residence at Montpelier village. In 1812 he received a second election as County Judge, and in 1815, was elected Judge of Probate of Washington Co., to which office he received five successive elections, a greater number then ever was received in this district by any man except Judge Loomis. For the last twenty years of his life, at least, he was constantly in the commission of the office of justice of the peace, and for
56 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
KINGSLAND, Gloucester County,
Province of New York, May 29, 1770.
"Court met for the first time, and the ordinance and comitions Being Read.
John Taplin, Judges being appointed
Samuel Sleeper, by the Government of
Thomas Sumner, New York,
were present, and the Courts opened as is usual in other Courts—Also present
Abner Fowler, Justices of the Quorum.
John Taplin, Jr., Sheriff.
"N. B. these Courts were the Courts of Quarterly sessions and the Court of common Plea for Said County.
"Court adjourned to the last Tuesday in August next to be held in said Kingsland.
"Opened accordingly, and appointed four Constables, Simeon Stevens for Newbury, Jesse McFarland for Moretown, Abner Howard for Thetford, and Samuel Pennock for Strafford, and adjourned to the last Tuesday of Nov. "Nov. 27, Court opened at Kingsland. Called over the docket of 8 cases only, put over and dismissed them, and appointed Ebenezer Green constable for Thetford, and Samuel Pennock, Ebenezer Martin and Ebenezer Green and Samuel Allen Surveyors for the County, and adjourned to February next last Tuesday.
Feb. 25, 1771.
Sett out from Moretown for Kings Land, travelled untill Knight there Being no Road, and the Snow very depe, we travelled on Snow Shoes or Racats, on the 26th we travelled Some ways, and Held a Council when it was concluded it was Best to open the Court as we Saw No Line it was not whether in Kingsland or not. But we concluded we were farr in the woods we did not expect to See any House unless we marched three miles within Kingsland and no one lived there when the Court was ordered to be opened on the spot, present
John Taplin, Judge of the Quorum
John Taplin Jr., Sheriff.
all Causes Continued or adjourned over to Next term the Court, if one, adjourned over until the last Tuesday in May Next at which time it was opened and after disposing of one case of bastardy, adjourned to August next.
Thus ends this curious specimen of judicial records. It will be seen at the first court nothing is hinted about the court being held in the woods and snows. It was probably held at the nearest house in Corinth, and, by a judicial fiction, treated as a court at Kingsland. But it does not appear that the court was ever called at Kingsland after the so-called August Term, 1771, having the next term met at Newbury, where it continued to hold sessions till the breaking out of the Revolution. The court did not, however, give up the idea of making Kingsland the seat of justice, for they ordered their young Sheriff, John Taplin, Jr., to build a log jail there, which he promptly executed, and made return to the court accordingly, though it is believed that the jail, as such, was never occupied. This singularly originated log-jail was situated a mile or two S. E. of the present village of Washington, near the sources of the brook which, running northerly into Stevens' Branch, thence forward, took the name of Jail Branch. On the opening of the Revolution, Colonel Taplin declining to take sides against the King who had distinguished him, retired during the war into Canada, leaving our John Taplin, Jr., on the paternal property in Corinth, where he resided until many years after Vermont had become a State, and was so much esteemed by his fellow-townsmen as to have received from them at least two elections as their representative in the legislature. In the summer of 1787 he removed to Berlin, having purchased that excellent farm on the lower part of Dog River, since known as the old John Hayden place, and became the first representative of Berlin, and for several years the first officiating justice of the peace in all this vicinity.
At the age of twenty he married Miss Catharine Lovell, daughter of Colonel Nehemiah Lovell, of Newbury, who was grand-son of the celebrated hero of the Lovell Pond Indian battle. His first wife dying in 1794, he married the following year Miss Lydia Gove, of Portsmouth. By his first wife he had 12 children, by his last, 9—twenty-one in all, and what is still more remarkable, they all except one, which was accidentally scalded, causing death in infancy, lived to marry and settle down in life as the heads of families, furnishing an instance of family fruitfulness and health that perhaps never had a parallel in the State. Mr. Taplin's practical knowledge of men and the ordinary affairs of life was, from his varied opportunities for observation, quite extensive, and his natural intellectual capacities were at least of a highly respectable order. But probably what are called the sentiments or moral affections should be considered as constituting the predominant traits of his character. At all events, kindness to all, an active benevolence and charity to the poor and distressed, were very conspicuous elements of his nature, and his house and hands were ever alike open to relieve the wants of those who might solicit his hospitalities or more substantial assistance. As is too often the case, the sharp, selfish world failed not to take advantage. The free horse was at length almost ridden to death. At the age of fifty he found himself badly involved in pecuniary embarrassments, growing out of his general system of benevolence in a good degree, though mainly out of his acts of accommodation in becoming bondsman for others. These so sadly reduced his property as to compel him to part with his valuable old homestead for one less costly, and which last he was also induced after a time, from growing infirmities, to resign, and reside with one of his sons in the village. The last years of his life were thus clouded, but he was held in the estimation of all as one of the most amiable and best of men and Christians, and as one of the most useful citizens. He died in Montpelier, Nov. 1835, aged 87, his memory being warmly cherished by all who remember his tall, comely person, the mild dignity of his deportment, and never-varying amenity of manners toward all classes of people.
58 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
James was born, said to have been the first male child born in that town. Although religiously inclined, careful and particular as the head of a family, he never made a public profession of religion until at about the age of 91 years he joined the 1st Cong. church of Berlin. About 100 years before his birth one of his ancestors, Rev. Peter Hobart, a Congregational minister, came to this country from England, and was a minister in Hingham, Mass., a great many years. Capt. Hobart spent about 10 years of the last of his life with his son Rev. J., working at the cooper's trade and cutting his own fire-wood. He died in 1834, aged 95 years.
came with his family from Hebron, Ct., in 1789, and settled in the east part of the town, on the farm now occupied by his grand-son, J. Newton Perrin. In March, with two pairs of oxen and sled, bringing wife and two children and a stock of provisions, he came by the Connecticut and White rivers to Brookfield, which was then the end of the road. The remainder of the way was by marked trees, and snow 3 to 4 feet deep. He took an active part in the organization and settlement of the town; was a friend of education, and a consistent member of the Congregational church, for the support of which he gave liberally. He lived to raise up a large family, and accumulate a large property as a farmer, and died May, 1838, aged 88.
a native of Connecticut, age about sixty, came from Glastenbury, Ct., with an ox-team, bringing mill-stones and irons, and purchased the lot of land in which is Benjamin's Falls, on Pond brook, at the head of which in 1790 or '91 he erected the first saw and grist-mills in town. The mills were occupied a number of years after his death in 1819, at the age of 89 years, but nothing now remains of them but the foundation walls and one granite millstone.
son of Melatiah Nye, and grand-father of the writer of this article, came to Berlin from Glastenbury, Conn., with his wife, (Honor Tryon), and two children, a son and a daughter, in 1790, having served his country several years in the Continental army as a musician; was in the battle on Long Island in 1776. When the town was organized in 1791, he was elected the first town clerk, and in several succeeding years was re-elected to the same office, as well as other important offices. A few years after he came to town, Mr. Nye united with the Congregational church, of which while he lived he was an active and consistent member, and for a number of years and until his death, he was an acting deacon. For several years he divided his time between cultivating his farm, and buying and driving beef cattle to the Boston market. When the temperance reformation spread over the land previous to 1830, he was one of the first in this town to adopt and stand upon the platform of total abstinence. He died in Sept. 1832, at 72 years of age.
Berlin with his son in 1790, and died in 1801, aged 63 years.
JAMES, son of Captain James, came to Berlin with his father in 1790, and settled on Dog River, where he was successful as a farmer and lived until his death, in 1859, at the age of 93.
came from Gilead, Ct., in the spring of 1789, and located in the east part of the town. He returned for a wife the December following; married Hannah Mack, of Hebron, Ct., whom he brought on with a stock of provisions upon an ox-sled, coming up the west side of the mountains to Essex, and up the Winooski to Montpelier. He also brought on some tea for sale to the settlers. By industry and perseverance he accumulated a handsome property, and gave liberally for the support of the institutions of religion. He represented the town in the Legislature of Vermont in 1815 and '17, and died in 1852, aged 88.
came from Holden, Mass., in 1789, and settled on a farm on the west side of the pond. He died in 1838, at 84 years of age. Mr. Flagg enlisted as a soldier at the breaking out of the war of the Revolution, was in the Battle of Bunker Hill and of Monmouth.
a native of Holden, Mass., came about the same time as Flagg, and settled on a lot adjoining him. Mr. Black and Mr. Flagg appear to have been born the same year and lived to about the same age. They probably enlisted at about the same time in the service of the country, and were in nearly the same battles, beginning with that of Bunker Hill. They were both in the battle at Monmouth Court House under Washington, 3 years later. Mr. Black, in addition to clearing and cultivating his farm, worked for his neighbors as occasion required as a carpenter and joiner. About 1818, Mr. Black removed to Marshfield, where he died in 1838, age 84.
SILAS BLACK, son of Jacob, born in Holden, was 12 years old when his father came to Berlin. When of age he settled on a farm adjoining his father. Tending saw-mill when a young man, seated on a log to keep it in place, while the saw was cutting through it, the wind blowing his frock before the saw, the saw descending took in both frock and leg, inflicting a deep gash below the knee, and a second stroke above the ankle-joint, jerked out nearly all the sinews in this part of the leg, severed by the first cut of the saw. Again Mr. Black was assisting in taking down a barn-frame, a heavy timber fell upon one of his legs near his body, crushing it to a mass of jelly, and breaking the bone badly, after which he always limped in his walk. He died in 1867, aged 90.
CAPT. DANIEL TAYLOR
came to Berlin in March, 1793; married Miss Ruhamah Ellis, sister of Jabez Ellis. He was a soldier of the Revolution, and for a time a prisoner in the hands of the British. For some time after he commenced on his farm, at the center of the town, he kept a tavern, and small stock of goods and groceries for sale. He was a man of energy and decision. When the call came for men to go to Plattsburg to beat back the British army, then advancing up the Lake, Mr. Taylor mounted his horse at dusk, and taking his trusty fire-lock in his hand, rode to Burlington during the night, and in the morning crossed over the Lake to Plattsburg, and was with the detachment sent up the river to prevent the enemy from crossing. He died in 1831, aged 74.
CAPT. JAMES PERLEY,
born in Methuen, Mass., in 1760, at the age of 16 years enlisted as a soldier in the war of the Revolution under Gen. Knox, and served 3 years. The next 8 years of his life he spent upon the ocean as captain's mate, visiting different places in both hemispheres. He came here in 1791, and settled on a farm near the center of the town, which he occupied the remainder of his life. Capt. Perley and his son, Samuel Perley, were both at the Battle of Plattsburg, N. Y., Sept. 11, 1814. He died in Berlin, in 1850, aged 90 years.
60 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
born in Rowley, Mass., in 1756, when seventeen, enlisted for the war. At the Battle of Bunker Hill, the inspecting officer ordered him to give up his gun to a larger man, he being of smaller stature, but Pearson, stepping back, presented the muzzle, saying, "You must take it this way if at all, I am going into the fight." He did go, and came out without a scratch. He came to Berlin in 1793; was a respectable farmer; died in 1842, aged 82.
born in Northboro, Mass., Nov. 1772, came in 1796, and purchased a lot of land a little west of the center of the town; worked one year, and put up a log-house, into which he moved the next year with his wife; was a prosperous farmer, raised a moderately large family of children, and accumulated a handsome fortune; represented the town in the Legislature in 1819; died in April, 1849, aged 77 years.
ABEL KNAPP, ESQ.,
and wife were among the early settlers; resided nearly two generations upon the farm at the cross-roads at the centre. He was town clerk except one year of Dr. Gershom Heaton's service, from 1795 to 1845—49 years, and was justice of the peace 50 years; judge of probate of his county 1813, '14; member of the constitutional convention of 1836; town treasurer several years; town representative 14 years, 1809—1823. He was also a surveyor; kept his survey notes, and helped settle many a dispute about surveys. He was a native of Rehoboth, Mass.; married Miriam Hawks of Charlemont, Mass.; children 5 sons, 4 daughters. His monument bears this memorial of a good man: "His record is on high."—From C. L. KNAPP, Lowell, Mass.
MAJOR SAMUEL JONES
settled at the mouth of Jones brook, which took his name, upon a farm James Hobart had lived on 10 years. He was an energetic man, accumulated a good property and raised a large family. He died in 1859, age 86.
MAJOR JOSIAH BENJAMIN,
son of William Benjamin, was born in Ashburnham, Mass., June, 1769; married Lucy Banning of Conn., Oct. 10, 1791; came to Berlin in 1793. After occupying and clearing up several farms in 1800, he finally settled on the farm on Stevens Branch, now occupied by his son Josiah Benjamin, where he died June, 1836, aged 67. His title was earned in the State militia at a time when it meant something.
Second son of Elisha, Jr., of Eastbury, Conn., moved to Sandgate, Vt., about 1783, or '85. He built a hut of poles with but a hand-sled to get the materials together with; roofed his little residence with boughs; when it rained he and his wife covered the children with blankets; but after a short time he removed to Manchester into better quarters, and from there to Berlin, about 1796. He was among the first settlers here, and located in the woods near the west end of the pond. He put up a log-house into which he used to draw with a horse logs for the back-log of his fire, 8 feet in length. He cleared the land, cultivated the soil, reared a large family, and died June 19. 1826, aged 67.
came here when 7 years of age, from Ward, (now Auburn,) Mass.; remained till he was 12; walked back to his native town; stayed a number of years and returned to Berlin on foot. About this time, he married Mary Stickney. He died in 1867, age 87 years.
COL. JAMES JOHNSON,
a native of Mass., came here in 1794, and settled on Dog river. He lived on his farm till his death; accumulated a handsome property and never had a lawsuit. He served one year as captain in the war of 1812; the time being mostly spent upon our northern frontier. The title of Colonel was honorably earned in the service of the State. Died in 1861, age, 88.
Abraham Townsend, a native of Westboro, Mass. A soldier in the revolutionary army; was in the battle of Bunker Hill;
came here about 1800, was a farmer; died in 1825, aged 84.
Abel Sawyer came here from Hartland in 1788. Entered the service of his country at the age of 16, as a blacksmith; died in 1836, aged 76.
Simeon, William, Israel and Henry, brothers (all of them having the prefix of uncle, by the early settlers and their descendants generally, the two first however, being sometimes called Capt. Sim and Capt. Bill, and the third Leftenant Dewey in consequence of honors in the Vermont militia) were among the early settlers. They were descendants from Thomas Dewey who was an early settler from Massachusetts Colony and "came to Windsor, Ct., from Mass. in 1639 with Mr. Huit."
SIMEON DEWEY was born in Colchester, Ct., Aug. 20, 1770, married Prudence Yemans, Feb. 27, 1794, (born in Tolland, Ct., Mar. 29, 1772, died in Berlin, Apr. 1, 1844,) and settled the same year on Dog river. He removed to Montpelier in 1825. where he was deputy jailer 8 years, returning to his farm in Berlin in 1833, where he remained until the death of his wife. He died in Montpelier, January 11, 1863, aged 92.
WILLIAM DEWEY, born in Hanover, N. H., Jan. 26, 1772. He settled in Berlin in 1795, on the farm below his brother Simeon's; married Abigail Flagg, 22 Apr. 1804, (born July 19, 1783, died July 28, 1826). He died Sept. 7, 1840; he was a successful farmer and useful citizen.
ISRAEL DEWEY, born in Hanover, N. H., Jan. 26, 1777, settled in 1801, on the upper farm on Dog river, and removed from thence to the east part of the town about 1805, and from thence to Lunenburgh, Vt., in 1851, where he died July 21, 1862, aged 85 years. He was a member of the Legislature of Vt. 1820, '21 and '26; postmaster in Berlin from 1825 to 1850, and employed perhaps more than any other man, with one exception (Hon. Abel Knapp) in town offices, as a magistrate, and in the settlement of estates. He was always ready to give his time and pecuniary aid, beyond his real abilities, for the improvement of our common schools; the welfare of the Congregational church with which he united in 1819, and other measures for the good of the community. After his removal to the east part of the town, he kept a tavern several years, and from that business and the custom of the times, acquired the practice of the daily use of ardent spirits, which was growing to be an excessive one, when in 1830, he relinquished it entirely and was ever after a consistent and ardent supporter of the temperance reform. He was married first to Betsey Baldwin, Mar. 1801, born Dec. 2, 1776, died Oct. 27, 1807; second to Nancy Hovey, 1 Mar. 1809; born in Hanover, N. H., Dec. 24, 1786; died in Lunenburgh, Aug. 7, 1859.
DEA. FENNO COMINGS,
(son of Col. Benjamin and Mary Cooper Comings,) was born in Cornish, N. H., Mar. 21, 1787; married Rebecca Smart, Nov. 22, 1810, (daughter of Caleb and Catharine Black Smart; born in Croydon. N. H., July 26, 1788). He settled here in 1815, as a tanner and currier, which business he carried on until his death. He was a man doing what he found to do with his might; a member and officer of the Congregational church—a lover of order and peace. He died, Jan. 24, 1830, his death leaving a void not often felt, and being regarded as an irreparable loss to the church and community. His widow married Rev. Jonathan Kinney, in Jan. 1833, who died, May 7, 1838. She died in Berlin, Oct. 10, 1865.
born in Bolton, Ct., Aug. 29, 1785; married Miss Susanna Webster, a native of the same place, (born Oct. 10, 1787, died Apr. 5, 1872, aged 85 years); came here Feb., 1814, and purchased 40 acres on the upper part of Dog river tor $200 dollars, and a few years afterwards 20 acres more on which he resided until his death, 25, Feb. 1864, in his 79th year.
born in Rhode Island in 1753, when about 21, enlisted and served in the Revolution‑
62 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
ary war 4 or 5 years. At one time he was a prisoner in the hands of the British, and confined in a prison ship on the Delaware river, and escaped as follows: One night he contrived to get down into the water by the side of the ship unobserved, and attaching one end of a string to his knapsack, took the other in his mouth and swam off; the knapsack floating behind served to keep back the waves which would otherwise have broken over his head, and as he became exhausted might have overcome him. By swimming, near as he could judge, about 3 miles, he landed and escaped. In 1780, when Royalton was burned, Mr. Bosworth was stationed at Corinth, Vt. After a short residence in Lebanon, N. H., and Chelsea, Vt., he came to Berlin in 1806, and settled at Berlin Corner. He was a blacksmith, which business he followed here. He died in 1844, age, 91 years.
DEA. JONATHAN BOSWORTH, son of Nathaniel Bosworth, born in Lebanon, N. H., in 1787, followed the business of his father, and came with him to Berlin. After working a few years at custom work, he commenced the manufacture of edged tools, particularly scythes and axes, having a good water-power, with trip hammers and other machinery. But this branch of the business not proving successful, in about 1830 he added such other machinery as was deemed necessary, and commenced the manufacture of cast steel and steel-plated hoes. Each of his four sons worked in the shop, and in turn became partners in the business, and carried it on to success. Since 1870, the business has been discontinued. Mr. Bosworth was many years a member of the Congregational church and one of its deacons until within a few years of his death and its attending feebleness, active duties were left to younger hands. Died April, 1878, aged 91 years.
third son of Elijah Andrews, and who occupied the same farm as his father, died Sept. 14, 1876, aged 91. For about 20 years he kept 40 cows or more, and marketed his butter and cheese in Newburyport, Mass., where he went with his own team five or six times a year, until a few of the last years of his labor, he sent his produce by rail. He represented the town in the Legislature in 1847, '48.
was born near Glasgow, Scotland, and came to America with Gen. Burgoyne's army as a soldier, and was with the army when it surrendered to Gen. Gates in 1777; after which he came to Berlin, and settled on a farm on the banks of the Winooski river, below the mouth of Dog river. He died about 1841, aged 84 years.
second son of Zachariah Perrin, was the first male child born in town, Feb. 1, 1790. He married Miss Lucy Kinney, daughter of Rev. Jonathan Kinney, of Plainfield, Vt., (born in Plainfield, Oct. 7, 1796). Mr. Perrin probably accumulated more property in farming than any other man before his time, in that business exclusively, in town, a greater part of which he gave to charitable and religious purposes, and to his large family of children during his lifetime, and the balance, which was ample for the purpose intended, to his widow during her lifetime. All his dealings with his fellow-men were characterized by a strict regard for justice. He was a worthy member of the Congregational church for many years before his death, May, 1871, aged 81 years.
REV. WM. PERRIN,
third son of Zachariah Perrin, born in Berlin, in 1793; graduated at Middlebury College in 1813; married Fanny, daughter of Capt. Daniel Thompson, in 1815; preached in New York State 1 year, and near Charleston, S. C., 2 or three years; health failing, came North; died in 1824, at the age of 31, a victim to the immoderate use of ardent spirits. His attending physician prescribed brandy for a medicine, the use of which created an appetite which was soon beyond his control. Mr. Perrin was an eloquent speaker and poet. [The following is the best specimen of his verse we have been able to find from his pen—Ed.]
Say, dearest friend, relate me why
The tear-drop startles from thine eve?
Does the farewell which bids us part
Thus fill with sobs thine aching heart?
's that a signal to thy woe?
Does that constrain thy tears to flow?
Then cease, my friend, forbear to weep;
Hush every waking woe to sleep;—
Hush every sigh, and quick I'll tell
The better meaning of "farewell."
Tis not a wish that you should be
Consigned to want and misery;
Or that forlornly you should moan
Like cooing dove in desert lone:
'Tis wish that plenty may afford
Her dainties for your daily board;
That calm content and peace refined
May be companions of your mind;
In time, that well may be your fare
Till I again your pleasures share.
REV. TRUMAN PERRIN,
fourth son of Zachariah Perrin, born in Berlin, Apr. 28, 1796; graduated at Dartmouth College in 1817; preached in various places in Vt., N. H., and N. Y.; went to Vincennes, Ind., where he taught in an academy and preached one year or more; then taught and preached a number of years in Alabama and Georgia; in 1831, married Miss Pronecey B, Tyndall, of Tuscaloosa, Ala.; had one son and two daughters. After having been engaged in business as a merchant a few years, and accumulated considerable property, he was suddenly deprived of most of it by the failure of several Southern banks. Mr. Perrin then, in 1850, came North, and spent the remainder of his days in preaching in various places, and in the employ of the American Tract Society. He died in Washington, Mass., Nov. 19, 1869, aged 73 years.
GEO. K. PERRIN,
third son of Porter Perrin, born in Berlin, May 23, 1827, graduated at Brown University, R. I., and at the Albany Law School, N. Y., and is now (1881) a prominent lawyer in Indianapolis, Ind., practicing in the state and United States courts.
HENRY M. PERRIN,
fourth son of Porter Perrin, born in Berlin, June 23, 1829, was educated at Dartmouth and at the Albany Law School, and is a lawyer in St. Johns, Mich., and has been in his adopted state, judge of probate and state senator.
HON JOSEPH C. KNAPP,
son of Ebenezer Knapp, was born in Berlin, Vt., 27, June, 1813; now residing in Keosaugua, Iowa, was one of the early settlers of that section of country, having left his native town and State when a young man. Has been United States Dis‑
64 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
trict attorney, Judge of the Supreme Court and democratic candidate for governor in 1871, and it is said by one who has opportunities of knowing that, "He stands at the head of the bar in this (Van Buren) county, and is regarded by many as being the leading lawyer of Southern Iowa."
son of David Nye, Jr., and grandson of David Nye, one of the first settlers of the town, was born in Berlin, Apr. 4, 1828; graduated at Dartmouth college in 1856; after teaching several years in Ohio and Peoria, Ill., settled in Peoria, and is a prominent lawyer (1881).
REV. GEO. C. MOORE, JR.,
son of Dea. George C. Moore, born in Berlin, in 1825; graduated at Dartmouth college. Mr. Moore lived a number of years in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; went to Texas previous to the war of the rebellion; became a Presbyterian minister and preached in Goliad and Victoria, Texas, where he died in Sept., 1867, aged 32 years.
MRS. PHEBE HAZZARD,
died in Berlin, Oct. 14, 1878, aged 102 years, 6 months. Born in Mendon, Mass., April, 1777; married Kidder Gallup, 1798, who died 3 years after. In 1802 she came to Craftsbury; in 1816 married Thomas Hazzard in Hardwick; came to Berlin in 1830, where she lived the remainder of her life. She had two children by each husband. She and her husbands were colored people.
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH IN BERLIN.
FROM NOTES BY JAMES HOBART, JR.
The 1st Congregational church was organized here Oct. 13, 1798, consisting of Aaron Goff, Simpson Stewart and Wm. Flagg, men about 50 years of age. Probably this was the 2d organization of any denomination in the County; the Cong. church in Waitsfield was organized 2 years before. At this time there were in town 85 families, and for 8 years previous, several missionaries had preached on the Sabbath and lectured, and some money had been raised by subscription and paid for preaching. Before the organization of the church a few professors of religion met at the house of Mr. Flagg, Oct. 11, and agreed to ask Rev. E. Lyman, of Brookfield, to embody the three named as members. Oct. 13, having met at Mr Stewart's, Mr. Lyman preached on the occasion, and Mr. Goff, Mr. Stewart and Mr. Flagg presented themselves, to whom Mr. Lyman read for their public assent the confession of faith and church covenant drawn up by Mr. Hobart, which they publicly acknowledged, and were pronounced by Mr. Lyman a church of Christ regularly embodied in the Congregational order, and the church then proceeded to appoint Mr. Lyman their moderator for this meeting, and voted to unite with the people of this town in giving Mr. James Hobart a call to settle over them in the work of the gospel ministry, and that his ordination be on the 7th of Nov. next; and voted several particulars for the ordination; and the 3 members of the church to be a committee to wait on the council. In the course of 12 years 44 members were added to the church. About the year 1800, the town selected a pleasant and sightly spot near the center of the town for a meeting-house, and in 1803 had the building, which was 58 by 48 feet, completed. Elegant and noble in appearance, it stood open for worship, with galleries on three sides, and having a finely made steeple above its belfry, and roof painted. The edifice was dedicated Dec. 29, 1803; the sermon by Mr. Hobart : Ps. lxxxiv, 1.
In 1810 and '11 there was a very interesting revival of religion, 37 being added to the church, and in 1811 the church purchased a communion set, (they having before this at a communion service used a pitcher and mugs.) The meeting-house was the property of the town, and was used for town-meetings, theatrical performances, and a militia drill, when convenient, which must seem contrary to the sacredness of a house of divine worship. In 1817, 19 were added to the church, and in 1819, 44, in 1827, 13, in 1832, 30, in 1835, 49. In 1868, the membership was 25 males, 54 females; 24 of the 79 being absent members. In 1838, the meeting-house was burned, before which a new
Congregational meeting-house at Berlin "Corner" had been commenced, which was completed and dedicated the next year. In 1829, Rev. Mr. Lamb, from Westfield, Vt., preached here a few months. In 1830, Rev. Mr. Whiting, from Mass., preached one year. In 1832, Rev. B. Baxter supplied one year. In 1833, Rev. A. Stuart, of Pittsfield, preached one year. 1834, Rev. S. Hurlburt was employed about one year. In 1836, Rev. Jonathan Kinney, of Plainfield, supplied one year. In 1837, Rev. Austin Hazen was installed, and continued pastor until his death, in 1855. From 1855 to 1861, Rufus Child was acting pastor. Aug. 1863, Rev. W. R. Joyslin commenced preaching here, and Feb. 2, 1864, was ordained pastor; dismissed in 1866. In 1867, Rev. E. I. Carpenter, formerly of Barre, began, and supplied until Jan. 1870. In July, 1870, Rev. E. Seabury, from Falmouth, commenced as a supply.
REV. JAMES HOBART.
BY JAMES HOBART, JR., OF WORCESTER.
JAMES HOBART was born in Plymouth, N. H., Aug. 2, 1766, and came with his father to Berlin when about 21; was converted about 2 years after, and commenced preparing for college. He graduated at Dartmouth as A. B. in 1794; studied with Rev. Asa Burton, of Thetford; in the spring of 1795, was approbated to preach, and commenced in Chelsea, Vt., as a candidate. The next year he was in Plymouth, N. H., and in 1797 and '98 at Nottingham, N. H., where he had a call to settle. During this time he preached at Berlin about 2 months, and in June, 1798, came again to Berlin, and preached as a candidate for settlement, the people of the town having invited him, and in August the town gave him a call to settle as their minister. He drew up a confession of faith, church covenant, and articles of discipline, and had several conferences with a few professors of religion, who proposed to be embodied into a church which was organized this year. [See history of Congregational church]. The Rev. Mr. Burton, of Thetford, preached his ordination sermon Nov. 7, Rev. Messrs. Edw. Bourroughs, Martin Fuller, Stephen Fuller, E. Lyman and D. H. Williston, with their delegates, taking part in the exercises. He continued pastor of the church till May, 1829, when he was dismissed by a mutual council. The next 12 years he labored as a preacher in New Hampshire, in Plymouth, Wentworth, Enfield, Alexandria, Bridgewater and near Portsmouth. The last 20 years of his life he was never home, preaching most of the time somewhere, in Worcester, Berlin and West Berlin, and sometimes assisting in the Sabbath exercises, and in the very last year of his life, his 96th, he was able to preach a pretty well connected discourse, and could walk 6 or 8 miles in a day.
He was self-denying, laborious and persevering, having quite a missionary spirit. While at Berlin his usual practice was to preach a third discourse on the Sabbath in a distant part of the town, or in the border of a neighboring town. He was below the ordinary height, standing erect, had a great memory, clearness of mind, good eyesight and a strong, distinct voice, speaking easy.
He was strongly attached to the people of Berlin, and after his dismissal, as he was occasionally at home, preached quite a number of funeral sermons. In the services on the Sabbath he used written discourses; by the request of his people, the third discourse was extempore, and so was his preaching after his dismissal. It was his choice to preach without notes. In 1804, he was married to Betsey, daughter of Zechariah Perrin, Esq. They had a family of 7 sons and 5 daughters, 7 of whom are still living (1881). Two of the daughters were wives of Congregational ministers. Pamelia P. married Rev. Rufus Child, minister at Gilmantown, N. H., and afterwards a few years at Berlin. Julia married Rev. P. F. Barnard, minister a few years in Richmond, Me., and afterwards settled minister in Williamstown, Vt. Hannah, youngest daughter, married Rev. Geo. Craven, a Methodist minister of Danville, Vt. Emeline married Doct. Evans, of Piermont, N. H., and Mary,
66 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
Hon. Amary Kinney, of Terre Haute, Ia., son of Rev. J. Kinney, of Plainfield. One of the two youngest sons. Timothy Dwight, graduated at Dartmouth College, and was about going to Andover, Mass., preparatory for preaching, when he died. The youngest of the family, Isaac Watts, at 13 years of age joined the church in Berlin, and at 20 had nearly fitted for college, when he died.
REV. AUSTIN HAZEN.
BY REV. WILLIAM S. HAZEN, OF NORTHFIELD.
AUSTIN HAZEN, son of Asa Hazen, was born in Hartford, June, 1786, about 2 miles from Hanover, N. H. His mother's name before marriage was Susanna Tracy. The Hazen family, which was large, was noted for its piety and general intelligence, and as being among the first settlers of the town. Mr. Hazen was graduated at Dartmouth College in 1807, and spent the next year in Binghampton, PA., teaching; in 1808, went to Washington, Ct. commenced the study of theology with Dr. E. Peters—date of his license to preach not known; was preaching in the neighborhood of Washington in Dec. 1809; preached in St. Albans several months. He was first settled over the church in the center of his native town, being ordained and installed in May, 1812; dismissed in 1828; Jan. 1829, installed pastor in the north part of the town; dismissed in 1837, and soon after removed to Berlin. He was installed here Oct. 1837, and pastor till his death, Dec. 25, 1854. He was a diligent student of the Bible, his preaching eminently biblical. He presented the great central truths, the deep things of God, with great simplicity and godly sincerity. Though his speech and preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, he always knew his people as it is not common for a pastor to know them, and tried to lead them in the "green pastures and beside the still waters" of godly living and doing, while they were hardly conscious how much they were indebted to him. During the 7 years of his labors in N. Hartford the admissions to the church were 95, and when he left, the parish was believed to be without a parallel in the State for the large number of professing Christians it contained in proportion to its population.
The more public religious enterprises also received from him a most hearty support. He was a delegate to the general convention of Vermont in 1813, and it is said that not more than one minister in the State attended so many meetings of that body during the next 41 years. No one was more thoroughly acquainted with the religious history of the State during that period.
For many years previous to his death he was one of the directors of the Domestic Missionary, Bible and Colonization Societies, and in all places to which duty called him, he was always promptly in his place, and ready at all times to perform his own part with intelligence and propriety. But the beauty of his Christian character shone most in his own family and within the circle of his more intimate friends. He rarely spoke to his children on the subject of religion, yet his life taught them unmistakably their duty, and the excellency of the religion which he was anxious they should experience in their own hearts. His exercises at family worship commanded attention, and produced impressions, breathing forth the earnest desire of the heart that his might be a household of faith. Mr. Hazen was twice married. His first wife, Frances Mary, daughter of Hon. Israel P. Dana, of Danville, left two children. Sophia Dana, who was educated at Ipswich and the Mt. Holyoke Female Seminary, where she was many years a teacher, in 1851, became connected with the Nestorian Mission of the A. B. C. F. M. as the wife of the lamented Missionary Stoddard; is now the wife of Dea. Wm. H. Stoddard, of Northampton, Mass.
ALLEN, who was graduated at Dartmouth College in 1842, at Andover Theological Seminary in 1845, and has been connected with the Marathi Mission of the A. B. C. F. M. in Western India since 1846.
His second marriage was with Lucia, daughter of Rev. Azel Washburn, of Roy‑
alton. She had 7 children. Austin, who was graduated at the Vt. Uv. in 1855, and at Andover Theological Seminary in 1859, is now (1881) pastor of the Congregational church at Jericho Center.
WM. SKINNER, who was graduated at the Vt. Uv. in 1858; And. Theo. Sem. in 1863; now pastor of the Congregational church in Northfield.
LUCIA WASHBURN, who died in 1854, in the 16th year of her age.
AZEL WASHBURN, who was graduated at Dartmouth College in 1863, at And. Theo. Sem. 1868; now pastor of the first Congregational church in Middletown, Ct.
FRANCES MARY, who was graduated at the Mt. Holyoke Fem. Sem. in 1863, and is one of the teachers in that institution.
LUCIUS RANDOLPH, who was graduated at Dartmouth College in 1870, now in business in Middletown, Ct.
Susan, who died in infancy, 1873.
BY MRS. C. F. DEWEY.
Methodism was first introduced into Berlin about the year 1830. At this time Berlin was included in the Brookfield circuit, then in the N. H. Conference. Elisha Scott being in 1831, preacher in charge of Brookfield, Northfield and Berlin. The early history of the church previous to 1843, is not as full as may be desired, owing to the first records being lost or destroyed. The first account we find is in 1843; J. C. Dow being then Presiding Elder of Montpelier District and John Perrin preacher, and so far as is shown by records, the first minister stationed at Berlin; we find also that James Currier, Almon Poor, Eleazer Loomis and Jacob Flanders were stewards, and Elisha Covell, Moses Strong, and D. A. P. Nye were class-leaders. The preacher gave an account of the united feeling among the members then numbering 85, and the Sunday school was well attended and prosperous. It was at this time connected with Barre charge and so continued till 1856, having considerable spiritual prosperity.
In 1837, the society built a chapel a little south of the cemetery, and in 1844 it was moved to its present location near the Congregational church, when it was repaired and enlarged. The society built a parsonage at Berlin Corner in 1847; cost $583.51. In West Berlin a class was formed in 1832, Isaac Preston and David Dudley being among the members. This class held their church relation at Northfield till the year 1855, when through the labors of H. K. Cobb, (then preaching at Berlin) there were numerous conversions in West Berlin. In Dec. 1856, a church was organized by the election of Amos Chase, W. D. Stone, Asbury Sanders and Isaac Preston as stewards.
Preaching was supported one-half the time in connection—both places being supplied by J. House for 2 years, A. Hayward and J. W. Hale each one year—until 1861, when it was voted that Berlin and West Berlin be separate stations. From that time until 1868, the church at Berlin Corner was supplied by Elisha Brown, local preacher, but from various causes, deaths and removals being the principal, its prosperity declined. In 1868, it supported preaching one-half the time; A. B. Hopkins supplying both churches for that year; since that time services have been held only occasionally at that place.
In 1857, the Methodists of West Berlin united with the Congregationalists and Baptists in building a union church which they occupied a part of each year until 1870, when the Methodists concluded to build a church for their own use. The subject was first agitated in April, 1870, and about $700 raised; first work, grading and laying corner-stone, done May 5th; May 7th, first stick of timber cut; house completed July 14th; dedicated July 15th, free from debt, without help of Conference; dedication sermon by Rev. S. Holman from Montpelier. From this time one Sabbath service, Sunday school, class and prayer-meetings have been regularly sustained and steady spiritual interest manifested. Sabbath school numbered 74 in 1878; average attendance 37; books in library 250.
68 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
BERLIN ROLL OF HONOR FOR 1814.
Names of men that went to Plattsburgh.
Jacob Flanders, Zelotus Scott, Samuel Hubbard, Stephen Wright, Mr. Tiliston, Ensign, Jeremiah Culver, Jeremiah Goodhue, Josiah Benjamin, Ebenezer Bailey, Samuel Currier, Abraham Townsend, Cyrus Johnson, Captain, Roger Buckley, Ord. Sergt., James Perley, Capt. Taylor, Eliada Brown, James Smith, Richard Smith, Alanson Wright, John Stewart, 1st Lieut., E. M. Dole, Samuel Perley, Moses H. Sawyer, Asa Dodge.
BERLIN VOLUNTEERS IN THE WAR OF 1861.
Samuel P. Atwood, Charles Bailey, Joel O. Bailey, William R. Bean, Peter Bressette, Chester Brown, Eliphalet E. Bryant, Charles N. Cilley, James M. D. Cilley, Benjamin F. Clark. Smith Clark, John B. Crandall, Richard B. Crandall, Jessie D. Cummings, John P. Davenport, Lorenzo Dow, William H. Dow. Wm. S. George, Charles B. Green, Lucius D. Hadlock, Charles Hanan, Ira L. Hanan, Charles C. Hartwell, Stillman A. Hatch, George S. Hayden, Obadiah W. Hill, John F. Huse, Henry F. Johnson, Nathan C. Kibbey, Josiah Lathrop, George Lawrence, Leonard Lawrence, William LeRock, Cornelius Nye, John F. Phelps, James F. Randall, Alfred M. Reed, Andrew J. Reed, Carlos H. Rich, Harlon P. Sargent, Carlisle Saunders, Joseph Slattery, Charles Smith, Franklin I. Southwick, Stephen G. Stewart, Daniel H. Stickney, Horace M. Stickney, Wm. O. Stickney, Edward P. Stone, Joshua Wade, John Burke, Jesse Cayhue, Albert Darling, Andrew J. Davis, Francis Emerson, Bartholomew Fenton, Frederick Gale, Calvin W. Greenleaf, John C. Hackett, Paschal Hatch, Simeon Hatch, Wilbur E. Henry, William O. Horton, Edso W. Howden, Charles Jandreau, Jeremiah Kelley, Franklin Labarron, John McCarty, Chas. McGlaflin, Francis Minor, Chas. D. Naylor, Chas. W. Nichols, Wm. B. Perrin, George Shattuck, David K. Stone, John W. Taylor, Henry C. Varnum, Alfred Whitney, Lucius J. Goodwin, Aaron Rowell, William Yatta, Samuel W. Andrus, Alson H. Braley, Don B. Cilley, Peter Gravelin, Elijah N. Hadlock, Hubbard E. Hadlock, Timothy Hanbrooks, Wm. H. Hunt, Edwin Jones, A. M. Reed, Frank Wheelock, George S. Lawrence, Barney McCarron, John W. Parmenter, Henry E. Preston, Hiram W. Scribner. George L. Wade, Lewis Bumblebee, Lorenzo Dow, Guy M. Reed, Charles B. Green, Wm. A. Phillips, Carlos H. Rich, Eli M. Robbins, Charles Smith, Jabez Alexander, John H. Bartlett, Jedediah Carpenter, Stephen R. Colby, Elbridge G. Fisk, David Rollins.
VOLUNTEERS FOR NINE MONTHS.
Henry R. Austin, George C. Bailey, Merrill J. Bailey, Jerome E. Ballou, Horatio G. Beebe, S. Webster Benjamin, Wm. Blair, Winslow L Blanchard, Don B. Cilley, Clark D. Cressey, John K. Cross, Samuel Crozier, Abraham Lezer, Oliver Luciere, David A. Marble, Henry A. Miles, George S. Robinson, Gardner P. Rowell, Reuben Rowley, George Shattuck, David C. Silloway, Joseph B. Silloway, Rollin D. Stewart, Willis P. Stewart, Arthur W. Taylor, Alfred B. Thompson, William W. Willey. Drafted and served his time, Nelson W. Chase.
The remains of the 5 soldiers mentioned below repose in the Cemetery at Berlin Corner:
MAJOR RICHARD B. CRANDALL, of Berlin, was killed in action at Cold Harbor, Va., June 7, 1864. Richard Bailey Crandall, born in Berlin, a student in Dartmouth College one year, when he enlisted in the 6th Regiment, and went out under Col. Lord as Adjutant, was Captain of Co. K. some time. Re-enlisted and was promoted to Major. His age was 26 years 7 months.
DANIEL K. STICKNEY, a private in Co. D. 2d Reg'mt, was a prisoner in Libby prison over 6 months; from effect of treatment received while there, died April 7, 1863, age 18 y'rs, 6 mos.
GEORGE MARTIN, son of Ira Andrews, a volunteer, private in Co. E. 17th Reg'mt was wounded in the arm which was amputated, but did not heal and caused death in Sloan Hospital, July, 1864, age 19 years 5 months.
JESSE D. CUMMINGS and CORNELIUS NYE, killed in action, were buried on the field.
JOHN P. DAVENPORT enlisted early in the war of the Rebellion, and becoming enfeebled from hardship and exposure, was discharged, came home, and died April, 1863, age 23.
Tell my friends the story
When I sleep beneath the sod,
That I died to save my country,
All from love for it and God.
HON. D. P. THOMPSON.
BY D. F. WHEATON, OF BARRE.
Daniel Pierce Thompson, son of Daniel and Rebeckah Thompson, was born in Charlestown, Mass., Oct. 1, 1795, and emigrated with his father to Berlin in 1800; and here he passed his boyhood days, on his father's farm, following the routine of a farmer boy's life. But his desire was for books, the fishing-rod and his gun, and he left the farm in early manhood, without means, but determined to possess an education, and by his own efforts succeeded. He pursued his studies in Randolph and Danville, this State, and entered Middlebury College in 1816; graduated in 1820; went to Virginia, and engaged in teaching several years; studied law while there; was admitted to the bar of that State, and returning to Vermont, commenced to practice at Montpelier, where he resided till his death. He married Miss Eunice Robinson of Troy, Vt., had 5 children, three of whom and his widow are still living. He engaged in his profession but a short time, being soon chosen the Register of Probate for Washington County, which office, together with that of Clerk of the House of Representatives, he held for several years, and then was appointed Clerk of the County and Supreme Courts, and soon after was chosen Judge of Probate. He was elected Secretary of State, and held the office until 1855. He was editor of "The Green Mountain Freeman" from 1849 to 1856, and eminently successful in making an interesting and entertaining newspaper.
In politics, originally a Democrat, he early became identified with the old Liberty party, and after that party was banded, became a supporter of the Republican party. It was not as a public officer, however, but as a writer, that his name will be most widely known and cherished. He was the only popular novelist Vermont has ever produced. During his whole life he devoted much time to the incidents of the early history of the State. He loved to embody in his writings such reminiscences as he was able to gather from the records and the recollections of old men. A lover of stories and traditions, it was his habit to convene with the old people, and listen to the quaint narratives they loved to tell.
A devotee of the piscatorial art, he would take jaunts about the county with his fishing-rod, and was familiar with every trout brook and pond for miles around, and almost rivalled Izaak Walton of old in his passion for fishing, and in the success that attended his hook, in the long string of trout he bore home in triumph.
Often stopping at some wayside farmhouse, he would spend hours with some of the old settlers, garulous of the early scenes and times in the history of our State. The fame of many of the founders of the State is greatly indebted to his pen and the industry and enthusiasm with which he collected and placed before the people incidents that otherwise would have been forgotten long ago. Besides newspaper and magazine articles, his first work was "May Martin, or The Money Diggers"; published in book form in 1835. It was written in successful competition for a prize offered by one of the Boston journals. In 1840, "The Green Mountain Boys" appeared—a historical tale, containing some of the chief incidents of the history of the State, and introducing the leading characters of that period. Then followed "Locke Amsden, or the School-master," written with a view to the reformation of the school system of that time; "The Rangers, or the Tory's Daughter," published in 1851, illustrative of the early history of the State, and gives an interesting account of the Battle of Bennington, and incidents connected with the
70 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
northern campaign of 1777. In 1852, he issued "Tales of the Green Mountains"; in 1857, "Gaut Gurley, or the Trappers of the Umbago"; in 1860, "The Doomed Chief, or Two Hundred Years Ago"; which contains an interesting account of the brave, but unfortunate, King Philip, of Mount Hope; "Centeola" and a History of Montpelier close the list of his books.
Most of his works have passed through numerous editions; May Martin and the Green Mountain Boys as many as fifty, and have been re-published in England, and some of his scenes have been dramatized. His prolific pen also produced many other less pretentious stories and articles deservedly popular. His novels, rich in historical facts, are written in a graphic, natural language and entertaining style, and he has done much to familiarize our State history.
The last few years of his life he suffered ill health from partial strokes of paralysis, which were but precursors of the final attack, which proved fatal June 6, 1868. By his death a pen rich in historic incidents and scenes was laid aside forever; but his name will long be associated with the history of our State through his works.
He was frank and pleasant in his dealings with his fellow-men; lenient almost to a fault, unpretending in dress, and genial as a friend and companion.
THE GREAT WOLF HUNT ON IRISH HILL.
BERLIN IN EARLY TIMES.
The way the settlers met and overcame the wild animals is well described in the
following story by the late Hon. D. P. Thompson, and printed in the Montpelier Argus and Patriot in 1867, of "The Great Wolf Hunt on Irish Hill in Early Time."
One Saturday night, about dark, in the month of February, 1803, a smart resolute boy, who was then eleven years old, who is still alive and one of the most honored citizens of Montpelier, Hon. Daniel Baldwin, and who had been boarding out to attend the district school on the lower part of Dog river, started on foot and alone to go to the house of Israel Dewey, his brother-in-law, three or four miles up the river, over a road leading mainly through a dense forest, to his destination near the borders of Northfield. Not anticipating the least difficulty in accomplishing his undertaking, he pushed confidently forward till he reached the log-cabin of old Mr. Seth Johnson, which was the last house on his way before entering the long woods separating the lower settlements from those in the vicinity of Northfield Falls whither he was bound. As he came up Mr. Johnson, who was in the yard, on learning his destination, ominously shook his head, and said, "Daniel. you must not try to go through the long woods to your sister's tonight, for the varmints will catch you." But the boy not frightened by the warning, was for going on, when Mrs. Johnson came out and interposed by "Now, Seth Johnson, if that boy will go, you must go with him, or the varmints will certainly have him; have been prowling in the woods every night for a week." Well, I would go if I could not do better by him, but I can contrive to furnish him with a better safeguard than my company will afford," returned the husband. "Daniel, you hold on a minute and I will show you." So, saying, he ran into the house and brought the firebrand of a stout sapling club, with one end well on fire, and putting it into the boy's hand, said to him, "There, take that and begin now to swing it enough to keep it alive, and if the savage brutes beset you on your way swing it round you like fury and run the gauntlet, and I'll warrant they won't dare to touch you."
The boy who had been a little staggered by what he had heard, now, however, as he was armed with the efficacious firebrand, as he was told it would prove, again went fearlessly forward. But the events of the next half hour were destined to change his feelings of confidence into those of lively apprehension, for he had not gone more than half-a-mile after entering the woods, before his ears were greeted by a long shrill howl rising from the forest a short distance to his left, bringing the unwelcome conviction to his startled mind of the near vicinity of one at least of the wild beasts against which he had been warned, the terrible wolf. And to add to his dismay, the howl be had heard was almost instantly answered by a dozen responsive howls from various points more or less distant, on the wooded sides of Irish Hill, which rose immediately from Dog river on the east; while these ominous sounds, growing louder and more distinct every moment, very plainly indicated a very large troop of these savage brutes were rapidly closing in on his path with a purpose of which he trembled to think. Believing it would be as dangerous for him to retreat as advance, he quickened his
walk into a run, and commenced swinging his firebrand as he went, hoping thus to get through the woods before the gang would beset his path. But he soon found that neither his speed nor his firebrand were sufficient to ensure him against the threatened danger. He had not gone another half-mile before a fierce and hungry yowl, issuing from a dark flitting figure in the road a few steps in advance brought him to a stand. He recoiled from the frightful cry and began to retreat, but his steps were quickly arrested by another fierce yowl, apprising him that the enemy were in possession of the road behind as well as before him, while out there on his left, out here on his right and everywhere around, rose in full chorus the same shrill, eager, hungry yowl; yowl; yowl for his blood. Having become perfectly desperate under these appalling surroundings, which plainly told him that a struggle for his life was now at hand, he made a wild rush forward, swinging his firebrand around him with all his might, and uttering a fierce yell at every bound both to keep up his own courage and frighten away the wolves which were keeping pace with him, galloping along on each side of his path, or leaping into the road behind and before him, besetting him so closely and with such boldness and determination, that it often required an actual contact of the firebrand with their noses to make them yield the way for his advance. And thus for the next half mile he ran the fearful gauntlet through this terrible troop of infuriated brutes till almost dead with fright and exhaustion, he at length reached the home of Israel Dewey his brother-in-law, with joy and gratitude for his preservation from a terrible death which no words could describe.
This event, which of itself was sufficiently romantic and thrilling to deserve a place among the striking incidents of the early settlements, was the more noteworthy on account of the memorable affair to which it directly and almost immediately led, the great wolf hunt on Irish Hill in the winter of 1803.
Up to that time it was not known with any certainty that there were wolves in this section of the country. Several settlers in the vicinity of the extensive mountain forest called Irish Hill, had lost sheep; whether they were killed by bears, catamounts, or wolves was a matter of conjecture; but the boy's perilous adventure which spread rapidly among the nearest settlements and was implicitly believed at once, established the fact in the minds of all that there was really a gang of wolves in the vicinity, and Irish Hill was probably their chief rendezvous. The settlers one and all eagerly expressed their wish to join in a hunt for the extermination of the destructive animals.
A rally was made on the following Tuesday, but not extensive enough to form a ring around any large portion of the forest where the wolves were supposed to be lurking. Having assembled at Berlin meeting house, they, however, marched into the woods and shot two wolves, when they postponed further operations till the following Saturday, when a grand hunt was proposed in which all the settlers from the adjoining towns within 20 miles were to be invited to partictpate, what they had done being considered merely a reconnoisance. Early Saturday morning, the well-armed settlers, having ambitiously responded to the call, gathered at the house of Abel Knapp, Esq., the town clerk, living very near what was then termed Berlin Center meeting-house.
The assembled forces numbering 400 or 500 then formed themselves into two equal divisions, and chose leaders or captains for each, with a general officer to remain at the starting point and give out the order or signal cries to be passed round the ring proposed to be formed. The two captains then led off their respective divisins, one to the south, along the borders of the woods, and the other to the west for a short distance and then south, each leaving a man every 50 or 60 rods, to keep his station till ordered to march inward, when the ring was completed. After waiting two hours or more to give time for the divisions to station their men so as to form an extended ring round the forest proposed to be enclosed, the word was given out by the general officer, "Prepare to march." This was uttered in a loud cry at the starting point, and repeated by the next man left stationed to the south, and soon, if the ring had been perfected by every man, round the ring. As had been expected, the sound of this watchword gradually grew fainter and fainter in the distance, and then ceased to be heard at all. Then followed a moment of anxious waiting with those at the starting point, for if the watchword was not soon approaching from the west it would show the ring not perfected, and all success in enclosing the reputed wolves a hopeless affair. But they had not long to wait. In a short time a faint sound was heard on the west side of the ring which grew louder and louder till it reached the starting point in full tone. All was now animation and expectancy on this part of the ring, and almost instantly the next watchword ''march" rang through the forest, and eaeh man, as he repeated
72 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
it, advanced rapidly into the interior of the ring a quarter of a mile as near as he could judge, and then commanded the "halt" as agreed at the outset. This word was promptly sent onward and returned like the others, when another command to march was uttered, and all again advanced towards the supposed center of the ring. And thus rapidly succeeded the watchwords march and halt, till the ring was so nearly closed that it was seen and announced that there were enclosed several wolves, in the same, which ran galloping round the centre, as if looking for a chance to escape through the ring, now become a continuous line of men. But the frightened animals could find no outlets, and were shot down with every attempt to escape. Two wolves and a fox or two were killed in this way, but by this time bullets flew so thickly across the ring that it was seen that some change of plan must he made, else as many men as wolves might be killed. By common consent at this crisis the late Thomas Davis, a well-known marksman and a man of steady nerve was requested to go inside the ring and shoot the wolves. This he did, and accomplished all that was expected of him. He shot five wolves and endangered no man. The whole number of the victims of the hunt were then found to be seven wolves and ten foxes. The company then took off the scalps of the wolves and took up their line of march for the house of the town clerk, where bounties for the slain wolves were to be allowed and of the avails some disposition made. It was announced that money to the value adequate had been advanced sufficient to pay for a supper for the whole company. These arrangements were soon effected and while the supper was being cooked a keg of rum was opened and distributed, which being taken in their exhausted condition, on empty stomachs, thus upset a large number who were never so upset before that it was said that Esquire Knapp's haymow that night lodged a larger number of disabled men than were ever before or since collected in Washington County.
Thus was ended the great Wolf Hunt on Irish Hill in 1803, which was the means of routing every wolf from this region of Vermont, and from that time to the present day at least none have been known."
D. P. T.
MONTPELIER, July 12, 1881.
The above is certified to, 78 years after by the actor in the scene, as substantially true.
BERLIN POND AND BENJAMIN'S FALLS.
Upon the highlands of the town of Berlin, at a distance of four or five miles from the capital of the State, and at an elevation of little less than 400 feet above the same, lies a beautiful body of water—Berlin Pond; about 2 miles in length, narrowing into a width of 50 feet at two-thirds of the distance from the head, giving the wider parts the designation of the upper and lower pond. The water is clear and soft, and when unmoved, reflects the entire margin of hill-sides, farm and forest, while the sky and clouds above seem to have lazily lain down upon its bosom till well might these be called Mirror lakes. Berlin pond, or ponds have long been a resort of fishing parties, and of late, a growing taste for rural scenes and camp-life, induces longer stay, and during the warmer summer months it is not uncommon now for families from neighboring towns to pitch here their tents and set up a system of co-operative housekeeping that succeeds, during which sojourn religious services are held on Sundays in the open air, or, if rainy, in some one of the larger tents.
If always "a thing of beauty," the pond has not always been "a thing of joy." At times it has shown a greed of human life, and helped to fill the cup of sorrow—engulfing once a bright and promising boy, the only son of parents dwelling on its border, and from the shadowy forest of the eastern shore there once came whisperings of foul treachery and homicide. But these events were of the past—never to be repeated, let us hope.
The village of the town is situated at the lower and northern extremity of the pond, and here is a fall with a good water‑power which has long been utilized. From this outlet the stream runs in a circuitous route some over a mile, falling 19 feet, and furnishing two other water-powers on its way, thence rushing on more rapidly, as if tired of slow work, and eager for frolic, seeks the woods and at once away from observation and restraint, its wild race begins, and in less than 300 feet it falls in one leap after another, 274 feet. The first
of these leaps 50 feet in an angle of 65 degrees. The second about 6 rods below, falling 30 feet perpendicularly; and 18 rods farther on is the third falls of 130 feet at an angle of 30 degrees. Thus far so completely hidden are Benjamin's Falls, known by the name of the owner of the land through which the stream runs—that perhaps most people in their vicinity have never seen this beautiful freak of nature's. But though long unknown and unvisited through the warm season, of late, parties one or more, may often be found spending the day here. Cool, sheltered, and for a wonder is not damp, nothing can be more delightful than to sit under the trees and watch the caprices of the rushing, roaring torrent. The maples and birches crowd close to its edge, laving their roots in its waters and throwing their arms out over it, the tall evergreens stand like sentinels around, and soft mosses and delicate ferns cushion and fringe its banks save where the sharp rocks jut out as a stronger bulwark of protection. A party at one time visiting the falls after a long and heavy rain beheld in a nook at one side of the perpendicular fall, which the excess of water had completely filled, float a mass of foam in the form of the lower half of a perfect cone, 4 or 5 feet in diameter, of the purest white at the base, and gradually gaining color until crowned by the amber of the daintiest merschaum, while in a broader, but shallower pool a few rods below was the image of a huge ram, tossing and struggling to extricate himself from the watery element.
Long ago this wild frolicsome power was seized for the service of the early settlers. At the foot of the first fall was the first sawmill, and at the foot of the second the first grist-mill erected in the county. Whether the ascent to the mills on the one side was too steep, or the descent on the other too difficult, or whether it came to be thought of mills as it did of churches—better to put them in the valleys than on the hilltop, we may not now know, but standing on the ground and seeing left only the foundation walls and the millstone lying in the stream below, one questions whether the stream itself had not something to do in their abandonment, this turbulent, wilful thing, so fascinating in its beauty, so destructive in its power; now abating somewhat of its violence, turning aside here and there into little nooks, coquetting with the fallen trunks of trees, then back again over the smaller rocks in its bed, giving, as it emerges from the shelter of the woods, a tithe of its power to turn the wheel of a little mill—thus "working out its highway tax," and then after one short, sharp and final plunge, gracefully yielding to the inevitable, making its way through the fertile meadows, passes quietly into the waters of the Winooski.
HENRY LUTHER STUART, ESQ.,
died Sept. 17, 1879, at Athens, Ga., the day being his 64th birthday. He was born at Berlin, in this State, and after studying medicine, law and engineering, he went to New York in 1843, where he became known in connection with the first efforts to lay an Atlantic cable, and also as the designer of the model on which the public schools are still built. He was also the first to introduce the piano into these institutions. He aided in founding the Five Points Mission in 1851, and was later instrumental in causing the establishment of the Normal College. He was an old friend of Horace Greeley. He devoted his whole life to the public service, and the Woman's Hospital of New York Stale and the Eclectic Medical College are, in a measure, indebted to him for their foundation. He was also much interested in the progress of experiments with torpedoes as a means of coast defence. His visit to Georgia was undertaken in connection with the honors lately paid there to Dr. Long, whose name is well known in connection with the history of anaesthetics. His death was caused by paralysis. — Burlington Free Press.
HON. CHARLES BULKLEY,
a native of Colchester, Ct., came to Berlin previous to 1800, and settled near the red arch bridge. He was a prominent lawyer, his office being in Montpelier. He was Judge of Probate for Orange County Court in 1800 and 1801, and chief judge of Wash-
74 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
ington County on its organization in 1813, and representative for Berlin in the State Legislature in 1818. He was an able man, a good citizen and an earnest and efficient member of the Congregational church here in its early days, and at his death was the oldest member of the bar in this County. He died April, 1836, age 72 years. We were late in finding the data for this notice, or it would have appeared among the early settlers previously noticed.
George Fowler, an old, early settler of this town, used to hunt with Capt. Joe, Indian.
PUBLIC MONEY JUDICIOUSLY EXPENDED.
Previous to the great flood in Oct. 18—, Berlin street, leading east from the red arch bridge, was anything but a pleasant place to live in, being low, and in spring a complete slough, and the houses old tumble-down affairs. The water having washed out part of the street, the town invested $1800 in filling and grading about ½ mile, and 2 years later, nearly as much more. The improvement seemed catching. The inhabitants took the idea, and almost every house is newly covered; new ones have been built, a new street laid out with additional buildings, and now, 1881, it is not only a pleasant place in which to live, but one of the pleasant drives near Montpelier.
When the first settlers in this vicinity visited the lower part of this stream they found upon its banks near the mouth a hunter's cabin, and in the cabin the body of a man far gone in the process of decay. He had evidently died alone and unattended. They carefully buried the body as well as circumstances would admit. It was afterwards ascertained that he came from Corinth, and his name was Stevens. Hence, the name "Stevens Branch." It is said that on account of disappointment in a love affair he left society and took to the forest.
received its name in consequence of a hunter by the name of Martin, losing his favorite dog in the following manner: He set his gun at night near his camp for the purpose of shooting a bear. During the night he heard the report of the gun, and called his dog to ascertain the results, but failing to find him he waited till morning, when he found the dog was the victim. He threw the dog into the stream, saying "this stream shall be called Dog River."
BY JOHN M. FISHER.
CABOT is situated in the N. E. part of Washington Co.; lat. 40°, 23'; long. 4º, 42'; 6 miles square; bounded N. by Walden and Danville, E. by Danville and Peacham, S. by Marshfield, and W. by Woodbury, and lies 21 miles easterly from Montpelier. It was granted Nov. 6, 1780; chartered by Vermont to Jesse Levenworth and 65 others, Aug. 17, 1781; but not surveyed and lotted till 1786. The survey was made by Cabot, of Connecticut, and James Whitelaw. Thomas Lyford, whose father was one of the first settlers, being at that time a young man, 18 years of age, worked with them through the survey. In the extreme west part of the town Mr. Cabot broke the glass in his compass, and was obliged to go through the wilderness to the nearest house about 6 miles away, and take a square of glass out of the window to replace it.
The names of the grantees were not entered upon the town records, and it cannot be determined with certainty who of those ever settled in town. By what we can gather from the original plan of the town, it appears very few of them ever made this town their home.
The township was lotted by James Whitelaw, and a field-book written out by him September, 1786, contains the number of each lot and full description of the same, measurement, etc., closing each with a statement of what in his judgment the land is adapted to, whether pasture or general farming. There were 12 lots in each division, and 6 divisions, making 72 lots in town. The first meeting of the