MONTPELIER. Pages 251-574

[ 251-299 ] [ 300-349 ]  [ 350-399 ]  [ 400-449 ]  [ 450-499 ] [ 500-549 ] [ 550-574 ]



            550                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


graw, 1872 to '77; Chas. F. Collins, 1877 to '81, inclusive. No. 5,—Henry Barnes, three mos. in 1860, now resides in Waveland, Iowa; Horace F. Crossman, the re­maining 9 months of 1860. He died in Washington. D. C., about 1867. Geo S. Robinson, 1861, '62; Oliver R. Dutton in 1863, now resides in Ohio; Robert J. Hargin in 1864; Geo. C. Clark, 1865 to '71. He died in Holland, Mich., Apr. 22, 1878. Isaac M. Wright, 1871, '72; A. O. Seabury, 1873, '74, '75, now resides in Boston; John W. Page, in 1876, now resides in Nebraska; Robert J. Coffey, 1877, '78, now resides in Richmond, Vt.; Chas. C. Ramsdell, 1879, '80, '81.

Hook and Ladder Co. No. I: Geo. S. Hubbard in 1860; Adams Kellogg, 1861, '62; now resides in Louisiana. Isaac A. Lathrop in 1863; Curtis S. Newcomb, 1864, '65. He died in Springfield, Mass. in 1867. Lewis B. Huntington, 1866, '67; Andrew J. Howe, 1868, '69; John L. Tut­tle, 1870, '71; Moses Kane, 1872 to '80. He died Oct. 2, 1881. Horace Mills in 1880; Joseph B. Morse, 1881.

No. 2 was re-organized and was dis­banded in December, 1875. Foremen: Lewis Wood, 1868; Samuel Wells, 1869; he died Jan. 1878; Wm. O. Standish, 1870 to '74; Geo. P. Foster in 1874—he died Jan. 1, 1881. Charles H. Carter, in 1875. All the ex-foremen of the companies are residing in town at the present date—Dec. 24, 1881, but those given as residing elsewhere.

The fire department of this village has been eminently successful, and has unques­tionably already been instrumental in sav­ing hundreds of thousands of dollars of property. And now, with its 5 engines, nearly 2000 feet of hose, ladders, and all other needful equipments, and with its al­most three hundred firemen to work and manage them, is probably the best and most efficient fire department in the State.

There are now three companies in this village, officered for 1882 as follows:

Hook and Ladder Company—H. C. Lull, foreman; Wm. Goodwin, 1st assistant; John Portal, 2d assistant; M. C. Kinson, clerk; L. Rodney, steward.

Engine Company, No. 4—Chas. F. Col­lins, foreman; Samuel Luke, 1st assist­ant; Ed. Donwoodie, 2d assistant; C. W. Guernsey, clerk and collector; Hiram At­kins, treasurer; Otis G. Miles, steward.

Engine Company, No. 5—Moses Pearson, foreman; Janus Crossett, 1st assist­ant; Marcus Lynch, foreman of hose; Charles D. F. Bancroft, secretary and collector; Robert J. Hargin, treasurer; Lu­cius S. Goodwin, steward.

The Hook and Ladder has 60 men; No. 4, 70 men; No. 5, 75 men. There are three other engines that have no com­pany; but are never needed now as the village has four pumps. Theron O. Bai­ley's steam pump at the Pavilion. Edwin W. Bailey's mill-pump, water-power, the cab shop pump, by water power and the Lane Manufacturing Co. pump by water power, and these pumps are so situated as to be sufficient, with the present companies, in all cases of fire that may occur here.

A very handsome cart, cost about $1000, was purchased for the Hook and Ladder Company some 12 years since. The fire companies are all volunteer companies, exempt from poll taxes for fire services; have a good business account, and were never in better condition than at the present.

[C. DE F. B.]







Mr. Walton's history of Montpelier was written nearly a dozen years ago, before the above-named company was organized, and in hastily making it out that company was accidentally omitted. It commenced business July 28, 1875, and Aug. 1, 1881, it had $2,716,590.50 insured, with premi­um notes to the amount of $163,105.82. The officers are W. G. Ferrin, Pres., J. W. Brock, Vice Pres., A. C. Brown, Sec., W. F. Braman, Treas.




The first antislavery votes for President ever cast in Montpelier, were given to James G. Birney in 1840. and the honor belongs to Zenas Wood, John Wood, Henry Y. Barnes, Hezekiah Ward and Joseph Somerby. The whole number cast in the State was 319.

[See portrait of Zenas Wood, opposite.]



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       551




Some of the graduates of Montpelier, to which further additions can be made in this work, in a supplementary form. From PRESIDENT BUCKHAM, Of BURLINGTON COLLEGE, we have received the following account for this town of




            BURLINGTON, Nov. 24, 1881.


To President Buckham:

My Dear Sir.—I beg to hand you below the information which I understood you to desire yesterday, regarding the graduates of the University who have entered from Montpelier. This list is necessarily very imperfect, from the fact that no annual catalogues were issued before 1808; and the further fact that we possess no copies of those of the following years: 1809 to 1821, 1824 to 1833, 1864 to 1865.

In 1824, George Washington Houghton was graduated; in 1827, Nicholas Baylies; 1838, George Washington Reed; 1840, James Reed Spalding; 1844, Carlos Allen Sprague; 1845, Charles Dewey and Nathaniel George Clark; 1846, James Prentiss and Jonathan Allen Wainwright; 1847, George Washington Cottrill; 1848, Edward Bingham Chamberlain and Geo. Sennott; 1847, Charles Carroll Spalding; 1849, Charles Loomis; 1852, Jedd Philo Clark Cottrill; 1853, George Robinson Thompson; 1856, Charles Colburn Prentiss, Geo. Bailey Spalding and Henry Lingan Lamb; 1858, Alfred Bowers Thompson; 1860, James Stevens Peck; 1861, John Pushee Demeritt and John Wright Norton; 1862, James Wilson Davis and J. Monroe Poland.

Besides these, I find record of William K. Upham as a sophomore in 1834 and Theodore Prentiss in 1839; John Barnard and George Bradshaw as juniors in 1840; Henry Lee Dodge, a senior in 1845; Alfred Washburn Pitkin, sophomore in 1843; Oscar Silver, freshman in 1842; Samuel Mosely Walton, sophomore in 1843; Timothy Abbott and Charles Warren Badger, freshmen in 1844.

From East Montpelier.—Lewis Larned Coburn and Milo Latimer Templeton in 1859; Salvin Collins Clark, freshmen in 1854.

If Montpelier is credited with A. B. Thompson, (1858,) I see not why Charles Wheeler Thompson. (1854.) should not be set down to the same town—though in point of fact both of them came from the same house on the Berlin side of the Winooski river, and C. W. T. called him­self of Berlin, as he truly was. So, too, J. W. Norton, if I rightly recollect, was not really from Montpelier, but from Berlin or Middlesex.

The above is the best showing I can make, by reason of our lack of over 30 an­nual catalogues.                                      J. E. G.

(Gov.) Asahel Peck was in college at Burlington in his senior term, and Charles G. Eastman entered and was for a time there, and Dr. Julius Y. Dewey graduated at the medical department in 1823. E. P. Walton and Hon. S. S. Kelton also, give as graduates at this college from Mont­pelier: David M. Camp, 1810; Charles Strong Smith, and Thomas Davis Strong, 1848; Charles H. Heath, 1854; Benjamin Franklin Fifield, 1855; Charles Daley Swazey, 1859, of Montpelier, and Geo. B. Nichols, now of Chicago; Henry Dodge, now in California; C. A. Sprague now in Watertown, Wis.; ——— Hollister, of East Montpelier.




Class of 1806.—Rev. CHESTER WRIGHT, first pastor of Bethany church; ante, page 388.

Class of 1807.—Jona. C. Southmayd.

Class of 1808.—Joshua Y. Vail.

Class of 1817.—GHARLES WATROUS, page 498.

Class of 1820.—MARCUS TULLIUS CICERO WING, and Daniel P. Thompson.

Class of 1825.—Asahel C. Washburn.




Class of 1825.—Rev. GEORGE BARNEY MANSER, first pastor of Christ Church; ante, see pages 411, 414, 415.

Class of 1832.—CHARLES WILLIAM PRENTISS, son of the Hon. Samuel and Lucretia (Houghton) Prentiss, was born at Montpelier, Oct. 18, 1812. He read law and commenced practice at Irasburg; rep­resented it in the Vt. Legislature 2 years; removed his office to Montpelier. He married Caroline Kellogg, of Peacham.— Alumni tablet.



            552                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


Class of 1835.—CHARLES REED, page 513, whose wife, says the record of Dart­mouth, is grand-daughter of President Eleazer Wheelock.

Class of 1836.—REDFIELD and COLBY; Stoddard Colby, page 468; Judge Redfield, page 540.


TIMOTHY PARKER REDFIELD, A. M., the son of Dr. Peleg and Hannah (Parker) Redfield, was born at Coventry, Nov, 3, 1811. He read law and began practice at Irasburg, in 1837; represented it in the Vt. Legislature in 1839; was also a State senator in 1848; removed that year to Montpelier, and there continues, promi­nent in his profession. He married Helen W., daughter of Maj. William Granniss, of Stanstead, P. Q., Feb. 6, 1840. Isaac Redfield, D. C. 1825, is his brother. —Alumni tablet.


STODDARD BENHAM COLBY, A. M., the son of Capt. Nehemiah and Melinda (Larrabee) Colby, was born at Derby, Feb. 3, 1816. He read law at Lyndon; began practice at Derby; represented it in the Legislature of Vt.; removed to Montpelier, and remained until 1864; was State's At­torney for Washington Co. in 1851 and 1852; became register of the U. S. Treasury in Aug. 1864. He married, 1st, Har­riet Elizabeth, daughter of the Hon. Jabez Proctor, of Proctoriville, Feb. 11, 1840; 2d, Ellen Cornelia, daughter of Caleb Hunt, of Haverhill, N. H., July 12, 1855.—Alum­ni tablet.

Class of 1843.—Rev. WILLIAM HAYES LORD, pastor of Bethany church, p. 393.

Class of 1847. —OZIAS CORNWALL PITKIN, the son of Dea. Alfred and Orpha W. Pitkin, was born at Montpelier, May 2, 1827. He taught at Morrisville 2 years; was head of the high school at Taunton, Mass., 5 years; removed to Chelsea Mass., in 1854. He married Caroline M., dau. of Wm. Muenscher, of Taunton, Mar. 1852. —Alumni tablet.

Class of 1851 .—CHARLES WESLEY WIL­LARD, page 492.

Class of 1854.—CHARLES FRANKLIN SMITH, the son of Oramel Hopkins and Mary (Goss) Smith, was born at Mont­pelier, about 1833, and died at Hancock, Mich., Apr. 23, 1864, aged 31. He read law with his father; went into practice at Chicago, Ill., but removed to Hancock, 2 or 3 years prior to his death.—Alumni tablet.

Class of 1862.—CHAUNCEY WARRINER TOWN, the son of Ira Strong and Frances Miretta (Witherell) Town, was born at Montpelier, July 4, 1840. He read law, and has opened an office in New York city. —Alumni tablet.

Class of 1865.—HIRAM AUGUSTUS HUSE, the son of Hiram S. and Emily M. (Blod­gett) Huse, was born at Randolph, Jan. 17, 1843; resident lawyer at Montpelier, and present librarian of the Vt. St. Hist. Society; contributor for Randolph in vol. II. this work, and to the present volume.

Class of 1866.— CHESTER W. MERRILL, the son of Ferrand Fassett and Eliza Maria (Wright) Merrill, was born at Mont­pelier, Apr. 23, 1846. He has been an Assistant at the New Ipswich Academy.— Alumni tablet.


Mr. Merrill is now Librarian of the Cincinnati Free Public Library.


Class of 1866.—GEORGE WASHINGTON WING, the son of Joseph Addison and Samantha Elizabeth (Webster) Wing, was born at Plainfield, Oct. 22, 1843.—Alumni tablet.                    [See next page]

Class of 1867.—HOWARD F. HILL, the son of John M'Clary and Elizabeth Lord (Chase) Hill, was born at Concord, N. H., July 21, 1846.—Alumni tablet.

Mr. Hill is now Rector of Christ Church, Montpelier.




only son of the late John Wood, is also a son of Montpelier, of whom her people are very justly and highly proud. With a natural genius for sketching and painting, he has persevered until, by his long experience and correct taste, he has become one of the best realistic and portrait paint­ers in the country, and has so commanded the admiration and respect of his brother artists that he is honored with the office of President of an association of artists in New York city. Mr. Wood's winter studio is in New York city, but his summers are generally spent in Vermont, at "Athen­wood," an unique and beautiful cottage in a mountain gorge, which, however, over­looks the village of Montpelier. He is not merely a very successful artist, but a gentleman who is highly esteemed by all who know him. We have hoped to re­ceive data for a more detailed notice, but are obliged to go to press with this imperfect one.

                                                                              E. P. W.



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       553


(Dartmouth Graduates, continued.)


Herbert Stebbins, now at Andover Theo­logical Seminary, John W. Page, William A. Lord, Rush P. Barrett and Ashton R. Willard of this town, are also Dartmouth graduates.

AMHERST COLLEGE—Class of 1869.—D. G. Thompson, Henry K. Field.

Class of 1870.—John B. Thurston, J. Edward Miller.

Class of 1871.—J. C. Houghton, Jr., John V. Brooks.

Class of 1876.—Albert A. Redway and Osman D. Clark.

DENISON UNIVERSITY, (Ohio). —Rev. Henry A. Rogers, present pastor of the Baptist Church, Montpelier.

GRAND SEMINARY OF ARRAS (France). Very Rev. Zephyrinus Druon,—page 423.

GRAND SEMINARY OF VANNES, (France.) Joseph Duglue, present pastor of St. Au­gustine's church, Montpelier,—page 424.

HARVARD COLLEGE.—Class of 1858, Rev. Charles A. Allen, first pastor of the Church of the Messiah; Rev. J. Edward Wright, present pastor of the same; class of 1878, William Zebina Bennett, Profes­sor of Chemistry and Philosophy in Wor­cester University, Ohio; and Charles J. Hubbard, Romeo G. Brown and Carrol King are now collegiates at Harvard.

PRINCETON COLLEGE, N. J.—Rev. Fred­erick W. Shelton, who was rector of Christ church.

TUFTS COLLEGE.—W. L. Warren, 1869.

UNION THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, (New York city).—Class of 1863, James W. Davis.

YALE COLLEGE. Rev. J. H. Hincks graduated at this college, A. B., in 1874, and at the Theological Seminary S. F. B., in 1876; and J. R. Brackett, Principal of the High School here has the "P. H. D." from Yale, received in 1879.

The following Montpelier clergymen have received the D. D.: Rev. Wm. H. Lord, Rev. F. W. Shelton, Rev. Andrew Hull, and Rev. Eli Ballou.

Ladies who have graduated at college Clara Pitkin at OBERLIN, Letitia Durant at BURLINGTON, or U. V. M., Emma Hoyt at VASSAR.




A recent visit to the rooms of the New England Methodist Historical Society in Boston, has given us an opportunity to find the files of the early issues of the "Vermont Christian Messenger," and from them we have the following definite infor­mation regarding its origin. The first number was issued under date of Mar. 12, 1847, at Newbury, Rev. S. P. Williams being the publisher; Rev. Wm. W. Wil­lett and Rev. E. J. Scott, editors; N. Granger agent, and L. J. McIndoe printer. Mr. Williams (then presiding elder of Danville District) retired from the publish­ing interest as announced in the issue of July 16, 1847, and Messrs. Willett & Scott became the proprietors as well as editors. On Jan. 1, 1848, the "Messenger" was removed to Montpelier, and on March 11, of the same year, Rev. E. J. Scott became the sole proprietor and chief editor, with Rev. J. T. Peck, A. M., (now Bishop Peck) as the corresponding editor. On Sept. 6, 1848, Rev. A. Webster became joint proprietor with Mr. Scott, and on Mar. 6, 1850, the names of E. J. Scott and A. J. Copeland appeared as proprie­tors. On Nov. 6, 1850, Mr. Scott was announced as sole proprietor, and on Jan. 1, 1851, as sole editor also. We have not been able to find the riles of the succeed­ing years to 1861, and will be very grateful for information which will give us access to any which may be in existence.


Barre, Vt., Dec. 30, 1881.




Mr. and Mrs. Capt. Joseph Somerby, celebrated the first golden wedding in Montpelier village many years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Worcester Sprague, cele­brated their golden wedding Mar. 11, 1878.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Nutt, celebrated their golden wedding June 18, 1878. All of this village.



            554                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


THE 4TH OF JULY, 1807.


Well does the writer remember the ap­pearance of the village the first time he entered it, which was on the fourth of July, 1807. State street had then been surveyed, but not opened. There had been before one bridge across the Branch, and that was at the Union House; but even that had been carried away, we think, by the flood of the previous spring. At all events, no bridge was there then. The men and women rode through the stream on horses, or in carts and wagons, and we boys rolled up our trowsers over our knees and waded across, not one in ten of us be­ing cumbered with either stockings or shoes. The point of attraction was the new State House grounds, and our way led along the old road down the river, under the hill, where the back street now ex­tends from the Union House to the Cath­olic Church. All on our left, after passing the Colonel Davis establishment, and one or two small houses on the bank to the east of it, was a smooth, broad, well-tilled meadow, covered with waving green corn. Two lines of stakes running east and west could be traced through the midst of the meadow.

"What in the world are all those stakes for, setting up so straight and curious, all in a row there?" asked one of the older, out of town boys. "Those stakes? Why they are to show where we are to have a new handsome street from the new State House right across the Branch, with a fine, elegant new bridge," replied a village boy, pricking up with pride at the thought. "A street," rejoined the other, "well, I wonder where they expect to find houses to put upon it. It appears to me you vil­lage folks are trying to grow grand all at once. When you get the new State House up, I expect we shan't be able to touch you with a rod pole."

This natural little bout of words among the boys of that time, showed two things better than a page of elucidation;—first, the extent of the important changes and improvements in contemplation for the village, and second, the starting points of the simultaneous growth of that village pride and country jealousy, which, proba­bly, are ever in a greater or less degree to be found, wherever villages exist, to crow and affect superiority, and country towns to build up and sustain them.

When we reached the place where the then novelty of our national jubilee was to be celebrated, we found the exercises of the day were to be performed on the ground-work of the new State House, the foundation walls of which were all up, the sills and flooring timbers framed together, and roughly floored over, and the plates and some other of the heavy upper timbers ranged round the borders of this ground frame-work. Near the centre of the area thus formed, was erected a broad platform, on which was placed a table and several chairs for the orator of the day and those who assisted in the usual services; while around it, on the borders of the whole area, were erected bushes, or rather small trees, freshly cut and brought from the adjoining woods on the hill, to serve for shade for the speaker and audience. The orator was Paul Dean, a Universalist min­ister, who resided in Boston, but who about that time preached for some small period in different parts of Montpelier.

This was the first general public celebra­tion of the Fourth of July ever held in Montpelier. A small village celebration was, however, held the preceding summer, in a booth, built in a meadow near the Davis mills on the Branch, and Dr. Ed­ward Lamb wrote and delivered the ora­tion.— Thompson.




was born in Marshfield, son of Truman Pitkin, and grandson of Hon. Stephen of Marshfield, and Gen. Parley Davis of Montpelier. His father removed to what is now East Montpelier, and shortly his mother died, leaving three young children. Perley P. was brought up under the eye of Gen. Davis, married in East Montpelier, represented that town 2 years, and resided there until the breaking out of the rebell­ion. June 6, 1861, he was commissioned Quarter Master of the 2d Regt. of Vermont Volunteers, and went to the front. The writer of this notice was then in Washing­ton, and well remembers the astonishment of the red-tape gentlemen of the War Department at the promptitude of Q. M. Pitkin in the discharge of his duties, and the vim with which he demanded supplies. His controlling idea was that Vermont boys must be taken care of, and they were, as well as an efficient officer could do it. His valuable qualities were soon discovered, and in less than a year he was promoted to the rank of Captain, and not long after to that of Colonel and head of the Depot Department of the army of the Potomac. He re­turned to Montpelier, where his family was located, and entered into business with Dennis Lane and J. W. Brock in the manu‑



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       555


facture of saw-mills, which now have a wide reputation; and this has been developed into the Lane Manufacturing Company, which now has the largest and most successful business which any manufacturing concern in Montpelier has ever had. He resigned his colonelcy and was elected Quarter-Master General of the State, and having charge of the State Arsenal, and military supplies far beyond the wants of the State, he succeeded in making sales to foreign governments, which materially aided the State treasury and reduced the burden of taxation of the people. He rep­resented Montpelier in the legislature 1874-5, and since his residence has al­most constantly been employed in town and village offices.

E. P. W.




By the terms of the act, locating the seat of government at Montpelier, the State House was to be completed by the first of September, 1808. It was done; and great were the preparations made among the villagers, and great the antici­pations raised among them and through all the surrounding community, in view of the advent of the new and important day of "Election." Streets were cleared of lum­ber and rubbish, side-walks prepared of plank or gravel, houses painted, new suits of clothes purchased, and everything made to assume the sprucest appearance. A fine artillery company uniformed through­out with plumed Bonaparte hats and the dress of field officers in all except the epau­lette on the privates, was organized from among the first citizens of this and the neighboring towns, to serve as the gover­nor's guard, and be in special attendance on Election days. Of this company Isaac Putnam, a man nearly six feet high, weighing over two hundred pounds, well proportioned, and as noble in soul as in body, had the honor of being chosen the first captain, and no one of those present now living can fail to recall his fine and com­manding military appearance on those oc­casions as he stood up between his soldiers and the encircling crowd, like Saul among the people. An iron six-pounder field piece had been procured; and a thrill of excitement ran through the excited hearts of all the boys of the community at the news, that when the election of State officers was declared on Election day, "a cannon, a great cannon, was to be fired in Montpelier Hollow!"

The eventful day at length came, and with it two-thirds of the population of all the neighboring country, 15 or 20 miles around, came pouring into the village. But instead of attempting any further gen­eral description of the then entire novelties of the day and their effect on the multitude, we will, at the risk of the imputation of losing our dignity as a historian, again have recourse to the reminiscences of our boyhood. We were, of course, there on that day among the throngs of excited boys, congregated from all quarters, to witness the various sights and performances expected on that important occasion. A showy procession had been formed in the fore part of the day, led by the military in all the marching pomp of flying colors and rattling drums, and followed by the State officers, members of the legislature and a concourse of citizens, and the Election sermon had been preached by the Rev. Sylvanus Haynes, pastor of the Baptist Church of Middletown. The House of Representatives had been organized by the election of Dudley Chase, Esq., of Randolph, Speaker; and a canvassing com­mittee appointed still earlier in the day and put to work in counting the votes for State officers. And as the hour of sunset ap­proached, and as there had been for some hours no public demonstrations to be wit­nessed, a great proportion of the crowd was scattered all over the village. We and a lot of other boys were standing in the street somewhere against our present Court House, when, sudden as the burst­ing of a thunder clap, the whole village shook with the explosion of the cannon on the State House common. We all instant­ly ran at the top of our speed for the spot. When we had got about half way there, we met a gang of other boys from one of the back towns, who, taken by surprise and seized with panic at the stunning shock, were fleeing for their lives in the opposite direction; but gaining a little assurance from seeing us rushing toward the scene of their fright, one, braver than the rest, stopped short, boldly faced about and exclaimed, "Hoo! I an't a n'attom afraid!" and all now joining in the race, we were, in another minute, within a few rods of the smoking gun, which had been discharged on the announcement of the election of Isaac Tichenor as Governor. The next moment our attention was at­tracted by the voice of Israel P. Dana, sheriff of the county, standing on the upper terrace of the State House, and loudly pro­claiming—"Hear ye! hear ye! hear ye! the Honorable Paul Brigham has been elected Lieutenant Governor, in and over the State of Vermont, by the suffrages of the freemen. God save the people!" Then



            556                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


another discharge of the piece saluted our recoiling ears and sent its sharp echoes from side to side between the encircling hills. Then came the announcement of the election of Benjamin Swan as Treas­urer, followed by a third gun; then the last announcement of the election of Coun­cillors, followed by a fourth gun; and then, without further official announcements, the salute of guns was continued till one for each of the states had been fired.

Such were the performances on the first Election day in Montpelier, and such the interest and excitement they created among the multitude.—Thompson.




second son of the late Dea. Luther and Nancy (Potter) Poland, was born in Underhill, Mar. 14, 1818; removed with his father in 1821 to Coit's Gore, now Waterville, and worked on a farm till 1835, when he came as an apprentice to the Montpelier Watchman office, and remain­ed until 1839. January 1, 1839, he com­menced the publication of the Voice of Freedom, but in less than a year sold out on account of ill health. In June, 1840, he started the Lamoille Whig at Johnson, and continued it 3 years. In 1844, he re­turned to Montpelier, and established the Green Mountain Freeman, and continued it until Dec. 1848. In 1868, in connection with his son, J. Monroe, he purchased the Watchman and Journal, of which he is still in charge. It is probable that no ed­itor in Vermont, now in the harness, has had Mr. Poland's experience of 25 years in connection with the public press.

Mr. Poland has held numerous public offices, the duties of all having been faith­fully performed: In 1842, assistant clerk of the House of Representatives; 1852–'3, judge of probate for Washington County; 1858–'60, state Senator; 1870–'71, town representative; 1861–'68, collector of U. S. internal revenue for the first Congres­sional District; 1849-1881, secretary and director of The Farmers' Mutual Fire In­surance Company—offices which he has held ever since the organization of the company, and to which he has been an­nually elected by unanimous votes.

Mr. Poland may well be ranked as a veteran in the celebrated anti-slavery movement which has now become histori­cal, having enlisted in 1843, and conducted the organ of the party in Vermont, and served as chairman of its State Committee, for many years; so that he may now prop­erly indulge in the double boast of both him that girdeth on the harness and he that putteth it off—having lived to see American slavery not only forever extin­guished by the organic law of the land, but remembered only with such detestation that history blushes at the record.

In 1840 Mr. Poland married Mary Ann, daughter of the late Joseph Rowell. They had 7 children, of whom 5 have died: 3 in infancy, Clara A., a beautiful daughter, in 1865, and Charles F , when developing into a promising manhood, in 1875. Two sons survive, J. Monroe and Edward R. Mrs. Poland died in 1862, and in 1873 Mr. P. married Miss Julia M. Harvey, daughter of James K. Harvey, of Barnet, deceased.

Mr. Poland joined the first Congrega­tional (Bethany) church in 1839, and for several years he has been one of its deacons, an earnest worker in its Sabbath-school, and a promoter of all, reformative and Christian enterprises. He is favorably known in the churches of Vermont, and is now publisher of two religious newspapers, the Vermont Chronicle and the New Hampshire Journal.

E. P. W.




The oldest man living in town is Dr. Nathaniel C. King, born July 19, 1789; settled in the north part of the old town in 1805, and came to the village to reside in 1875.

The oldest woman residing in town is Mrs. Lucy Mead, born July 23, 1789; has been a resident of the village since 1813.

The oldest person living in the village, and born in the limits of the old town, is Orin Cummins, born Feb. 23, 1801.

The oldest person living in the village, born in the limits of the new town, is John Q. A. Peck, born in 1808.

The oldest person living in town and born in the village limits, is Snow Town, born in 1806.



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       557


The oldest person living in the village, and born in the village, is Wm. Nelson Peck, born Sept. 18, 1811.

The oldest resident of the village is Hon. Elijah Paine Jewett, who has resided here since 1805, and is 80 years of age.

The oldest French resident of the town is Joseph Wood, who came in 1831, and is now 85 years of age.

The oldest Irish resident in town is James McLaughlin, who came in 1832, and is now 80 years of age. Mr. John Murphy came in 1834, and is now 86 years of age.




Among the very old and worthy citizens of Montpelier was William W. Cadwell, who was born in Hatfield, Mass., May 12, 1799, and in the same year was brought to Montpelier by his father, Wyllis I. Cadwell. He succeeded his father in trade for many years, and on retiring was employed as town clerk, magistrate, overseer of the poor, &c. He was esteemed as an honest man, always having the interests of the town at heart. He died suddenly in 1877, aged 78 years.

The above was not written in time to appear with the biographies of deceased citizens of Montpelier.

E. P. W.

[We had filed and overlooked till now.]




a native of Montpelier, and a sister of William W. Cadwell. Esq., who died at the residence of her son-in-law in Fort Scott, Kansas, Nov. 17, 1877. She was for many years a resident of Michigan, of which state her husband was both gover­nor and chief justice. Mrs. Ransom's name before marriage was Almira Cadwell.

The home of the Cadwells was in the old house still standing at the head of State Street. Mrs. Constant W. Storrs and Mrs. Geo. P. Ricker are the only represen­tatives of the old family left here, now. Almira Cadwell, it is said, was a beautiful girl. The old house was considered the only house in Montpelier worthy to receive Lafayette in, on his visit to the capi­tal of the State of the Green Mountain Boys, for whom the great French General always had a particular admiration.




widow of the late Hon. John Spalding, who was for many years the treasurer of the State of Vermont, died at her home in Montpelier Jan. 19, 1874, in her 83d year. Mrs. Spalding, a virtuous and excellent woman, was a great sufferer for many years previous to her death, and an inva­lid for over 40 years. A few days before her death, she had a second paralytic shock, after which she was never able to speak. She was the mother of 8 children, among whom was




a graduate of Burlington College, see page — "Charles Spalding was first civil en­gineer for a time. In 1849, when the California gold fever broke out, he was among the pioneers who sought that auri­ferous land, making the passage in a sailing vessel around Cape Horn. His success at mining was indifferent. Returning home via the Pacific coast and the Gulf of Mexico, he spent about a year in Montpelier, when he went to New York and entered the service of Harnden & Co. as express messenger between New York and Boston. Soon going West, he engaged in survey­ing and railroad engineering in Ohio, Illi­nois and Kentucky. At the time of the establishment of Kansas as a territory, he was living in one of the border counties of Missouri, where he married a Missouri lady. He took part in the establishment of its territorial government, making pre­liminary surveys and encouraging immigra­tion by writing special letters to the New York Tribune, which attracted no little attention in the East. He published a pa­per in Lawrence, Kansas, and was elected an alderman, and was for a short time mayor of the city. He took the democrat­ic side on the outbreak of the Kansas war, and soon after left the state. He afterwards taught school, and at the breaking out of the war returned to the East, en­listing in the 6th Vermont Regiment, served 2 years, came home and started the Newport News, at Newport, Vt. This he sold, and went to Boston in 1866, and took a position on the Boston Post. In 1869, he became connected with the Boston Herald, and remained with that paper up to the time of his decease. He had been suffering from a complication of diseases, and his death was not unexpected.—Bur­linton Free Press.

He was perhaps best known to the pub­lic through the police court column of this journal, which he has written almost con‑



            558                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE


tinuously for several years past. The humor, the philosophy, the philanthropy, which he has there introduced into his homilies upon the doings of the criminal classes of this Metropolis, have endeared him in the hearts of thousands of people who knew him not personally, and who will regret sincerely his demise.— Rutland Herald.


[See biography of Hon. John Spalding, page 487.]




of the class of 1840, died at Dover, N. H., early in October, 1872, in the fiftieth year of his age. He was a native of Montpelier, and chose journalism as his profession, soon after his graduation. He first gained reputation as the chief editorial writer of the New York Courier and Enquirer, during the last year of its existence. From that paper he went to the New York World, which he was interested in estab­lishing as a religious, rather than a political newspaper; but the experiment soon failed in that form, and when Mr. Marble got possession of the paper, and turned it into a democratic organ, Mr. Spalding left it and went upon the Times, where he re­mained many years and did his best work. His daily leader—generally upon a politi­cal subject—was uniformly the best piece of writing upon the editorial page, uniting vigor with finish, full knowledge of his theme, and a statesman's grasp of its rela­tions. He had his first attack of paralysis before the death of Mr. Raymond, and re­tired to the country, but for some months, at least, kept up his constant contributions to the editorial department of the paper. He was a man of high literary attainments and was an essayist rather than an editor. To a moral character of great purity was added the fervor of Christian faith, which did not find utterance in noisy declaration, but shone luminously in the simplicity of his manners, and the consecration of his splendid powers to the advocacy of such principles as he deemed best calculated to benefit mankind. The disease which im­paired his powers in later life and eventually caused his death was apoplectic paralysis. One of his finest public efforts was an oration delivered at the seml-centennial celebration of the foundation of this Uni­versity, in 1854.—U. V. M. Obituary.

Mr. Spalding was brother of Rev. George B. Spalding of Dover, N. H., editor of the New Hampshire Journal, and son of Dr. James Spalding—p. 445. Dr. James and Hon. John Spalding, father of Charles Carrol. were brothers.




born in Calais, Jan. 28, 1820, came to Montpelier in 1835, and was engaged in merchandise there and at Northfield until 1845, when he started out on a tour in search of a favorable place in which to locate. This tour embraced the Atlantic cities from Boston to Baltimore, and the western cities and promising towns to the Mississippi river. He was greatly im­pressed by Chicago, then a fresh city of about 8000 inhabitants, among whom were many Vermonters. Having in the mean­time married Maria Malleville, daughter of Hon. Daniel Baldwin, of Montpelier, he left that town in June, 1845, with his wife and his few effects, for Chicago, and in less than a week after his arrival formed a co­partnership with Charles Follansbee for a general mercantile business, wholesale and retail. At the end of the first year he pur­chased the entire stock, and from that time, either alone or with different partners, Mr. Gilman prosecuted his business, for most of the time in two wholesale estab­lishments—one of dry goods and the other of groceries—and so successfully prosecu­ted it, that he was content to retire in 1868, when for two years he with his family re­sided at Riverside, Newton, Mass., and then returned to the old homestead and the scenes of their childhood and youth, at Montpelier, where their beautiful home still is.

Politically Mr. Gilman has been from youth a Democrat, and his familiar acquaintancc with and friendship for "The Little Giant" Stephen A. Douglas, in­spired in him a zeal that has never flagged. He has been the candidate of his party for Mayor, and also Treasurer of Chicago; and he was tendered the candidacy for State Treasurer of Illinois, which he de­clined. He was the representative of Montpelier, 1874–'5. and the only man ever elected as a Democrat since the di­vision of the old town; but a Republican legislature had so high an appreciation of his integrity and business qualities that he was elected a Director of the State Prison. He was Libtarian of the Vermont Historical Society, 1874-1881, and has



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       559


rendered the Society and the State invaluable services, and his declination of further service is a great loss. His taste is for antiquities, history and biography, and his private library in these lines is probably more extensive and valuable than any other in the State. He is an honorary or corresponding member of various historical and other organizations. He is President of the Vermont Numismatical Society, and will ere long appear as author of a Bibliography of Vermont, which he has been industriously preparing for sev­eral years.


Mr. Gilman's political record to this date cannot be completed without adding that he was chairman of the Vermont delega­tion in the National Democratic Conven­tion of 1876, and voted for Samuel J. Tilden every time. His democracy is cer­tainly both unimpeachable and unappeas­able.


For additional notices of Mr. Gilman and his family, see ante, pages 155-157.

E. P. W.




Extract:— CURTIS A. COBURN was ap­pointed regimental postmaster at Brattle­boro, Vt., and also brigade postmaster while in camp near Washington; we all liked him much. He was always very anxious that we should get our mails promptly and daily, if it was to be got at. He was transferred to the Signal Corps in August last, and was captured by the rebels while on our retreat from Culpepper to Bull Run, in October.

Sergt. HIRAM M. PIERCE, (in whom I feel more particularly interested, he always being with the Company,) has been a good soldier and done his duty well in every spot and place, and by his good conduct won the esteem of every member in the company; always cheerful and happy. While a detachment of Cos. B, G, and K, were doing picket duty at Conrad's Ferry, Md., one year ago, he was detailed as act­ing quartermaster and also sergt.-major of the detachment, and in those positions he was found fully competent. By his gal­lantry at the battle of Orange Grove, he proved himself to be an earnest, brave and noble champion to the cause of humanity, liberty and his country. In the progess of that battle as we were ordered to fix bayo­nets and charge, on approaching the rail fence he spoke so loud that he was heard by every one in the company, "Come on Co. B," and was one of the first to climb the fence. He had been over but a mo­ment when I heard him exclaim— "I am wounded, my arm is broken." The next time I saw him was at Brandy Station, Va., several days afterwards; as soon as I heard that the wounded had arrived. I went down to see them, and I found Sergt. Pierce; he appeared quite glad to see me, as I was to see him, but I felt very sorry to see him with but one arm, (his left arm was taken off above the elbow). He told me that it had been very painful, for on account of the hasty retreat of the medical corps from the field in light marching order, his arm was not attended to until two or three days after the battle.

Lieut. STETSON, who had been in com­mand of the company most of the time since we have been in the service, drew my attention at the battle of Orange Grove. He stood bravely at his post, re­marking "boys, keep cool, and do not shoot until you can see something to shoot at!" Lieut. Abbott of Co. D, (then act­ing as 1st Lieut. of Co. B,) was doing all all he could to keep a good line, and also to preserve good order in the company. After Gilman Storrs was shot, a boy that we have missed very much, Lieut. Stetson (whom you all know is not very easily scared), grasped a musket, and asking the boys if they had any ammunition for him. I gave him some caps, and some one else some cartridges, when he loaded and fired as fast as he could, remarking that "he hoped that each bullet would do good exe­cution, for they had killed his boy Gim." Lieut. Abbott came out with us as orderly sergeant, and after he was promoted to 2d lieut. of Co. D, the company very gener­ously presented him a sword, belt and shoulder-straps, costing about $50, as a testimony of their regard for him.—Watchman.


Curtis Coburn, who enlisted from Mont­pelier, learned the printer's trade at the Repository office, of Mr. Charles H. Sev­erance, now of the Watchman office. Coburn died in New Orleans; see page 523. Lieutenants Abbott and Stetson, see page 522.




[To whom we find the following tribute in the Baltimore American,]


Died, Oct. 10, 1866, in Shelby, Ohio, after a short illness, C. W. Lyman, former­ly of Montpelier, leaving a young wife, child and numerous friends to mourn his untimely end.



            560                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


He was among the foremost who rallied to his country's defense when the tocsin of war sounded, serving faithfully and gal­lantly as a line officer in the "Wallace Zouaves" of Indiana. Subsequently he was promoted to a position of great responsibility in the Southwest, where, for ability, integrity. and honor, he won the highest encomiums from such men as "Grant, Sherman and McPherson"—men whom the nation loves to honor. As a man and a friend he was generous to a fault, and few can boast of more sincere friendship or warmer admirers. As a father and hus­band he was all that love and fidelity could make him; young and full of ambitious hopes, he passed from our midst a bright example to all who love the generous and the good.— Watchman.


His remains were brought to Montpelier and interred in Green Mount.




Coming up from Montpelier Junction, some less than 2 miles below, we arrive at the Montpelier station in about five minutes' ride from the Junction. The cars stop at the new Central depot, which the eye strikes but a moment before landing— almost the same instant the State House, on the street beyond, on higher ground, and the prin­cipal part of State St. running along the river side, opens up a pleas­ant view of the village of the Green Moun­tain Capital on the first approach to it by railroad from St. Albans and Burlington way. The first railroad depot building, which stood upon the same site, was erected in 1850—a brick structure, 150 x 50 feet, creditable for the time, and a beginning; but a better building being desired in which to receive the Legislature, and more suitable to the place, the present commo­dious brick depot was erected, being com­pleted September 1880. We have the view of the exterior; the interior is well and conveniently finished for the Capital depot; a very wide central hall—wide enough for the town representatives of several of the smaller counties of the State to walk through abreast—gentlemen and ladies' waiting rooms upon the left, baggage room, tel‑


egraph and express offices upon the right. The whole building, warmed by steam, with all modern conveniences.

The first train of cars entered Mont­pelier, June 20, 1849. The travelling public found accommodations a few months until the first depot house was built, in a freight house, first built, just over the track south.

At this point in our description, failing to find exact data to continue, we wrote to J. W. Hobart, Gen. Supt. of the Cen. Vt. R. R. at St. Albans, that we had the en­graving of the depot, were preparing a sketch, and asking for such data and in­formation as he could give, who has sent the following descriptive letter, which, find­ing so interesting, we have concluded to give entire:



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       561




ST. ALBANS, Vt., Jan. 2, 1882.



Madam:—Your favor of the 31st ult. came duly to hand, and I feel much interest in the subject of your enquiries. Probably there is no one living who is more fa­miliar with the early history of the railroad in Montpelier than myself. The advent of the cars into that beautiful town occurred on the 4th of July, 1849, and the first train consisted of ten platform cars, loaded with 100 bbls. of flour each, and covered with a new white cheese canvas over each car. The train was drawn by engine Winooski. John Danforth was engineer, and the writer of this was the conductor. Later in the day, passenger trains ran in charge of the same persons, and well do I remember the interest manifested and the commotion created among the people who came in from the surrounding country. There being a circus upon the meadow near Mrs. Nicholas' house, on the Berlin side, which taken together with the usual 4th of July as a holiday, the town was packed, and we were compelled to send men in advance to clear the way for the train. Every build­ing from which the cars could be seen was covered, every available window occupied, the tops of buildings were covered if pos­sible, and even the tree-tops were alive with people.

Warner Hine, who was then master of transportation, was the acting agent at that station during the summer of 1849. In the autumn of that year the road was completed to Waterbury, and Mr. Hine with his force was removed to that station, and Mr. J. Edwards Wright was made the first permanent station agent at Montpelier, where he remained until Aug. 1851, re­signing his position at that time to engage in the purchase of wool in Ohio. A. V. H. Carpenter, now the General Passenger Agent of the Milwaukee & St. Paul R. R., succeeded Mr. Wright, and remained in that position until June, 1862, at which time he was relieved to take another po­sition, and J. W. Hobart was enstalled as the agent. Up to that time Mr. Hobart had been a clerk for both Mr. Wright and Mr: Carpenter.

As you are aware, Montpelier is at the terminus of a branch of one and one-fourth of a mile in length, and up to October of that year, all the trains passed in and out over the branch. In October they discontinued running the main line trains into Montpelier, but in place estab­lished a branch train, consisting simply of a small engine, fitted up with seats each side of the tender.

This engine was called the "Abigail Adams." It was determined in the course of a very few days that it would be impossible to do the business of the Capital with the facilities then provided. So the President, Gov. Paine, ordered a small car built, as the engine had not sufficient capacity to handle a large car, except under the most favorable circumstances. Meantime, however, a large car was provided, and when the business required it, the car was attached to this miniature engine, which in many instances proved unequal to the task, and the conductor, who was none other than the agent at Montpelier, the cars of the branch trains having been added to his duties, the baggage master, and many times the engineer, were compelled to push in aiding the engine the whole distance, and it was not unfrequently the case, that the passengers themselves, in response to a request, would aid in furnishing power to move the train.

I cannot now give you the name of the first engineer of this little engine, but one of the engineers who is now there, came soon afterwards. (I refer to Mr. James Bowers, and I have no doubt he will give you the name.)

In due time the small car was finished, and we had less trouble. This car proved quite a novelty, it having been finished like an omnibus, with seats upon the side,



            562                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.



This condition, however, did not last long, as it was found and admitted by the officers, who, by the way, were not over and above friendly to Montpelier, that the facilities were entirely inadequate; so a full and quite a respectable train was provided, consisting of an engine called the "Flying Dutchman," a baggage and a first-class passenger car. Soon after the management chang­ed from Northfield to St. Al­bans, and Montpelier was evidently improved by the change. James Bowers, who is still there, was one of the engineers who ran the "Flying Dutchman." J. W. Hobart remained there until March, 1859, and was succeeded by the present incumbent, S. L. Howe, Esq., who was for some time previous the assistant of Mr. Hobart. I am very nearly as familiar with the history of the railroad interest of Montpelier since this period, but as it covers a period of about 22 years, and my time is limited, I leave it for others, Mr. Howe and many others in Mont­pelier being perfectly familiar with affairs since the above date of 1859. It gives me much pleasure to communicate these facts, and if they are of any value to you in making up the history of the best town in the State, I shall certainly be very well paid. I know very well all the gentlemen whose portraits you have, and they certainly will prove a very valuable accession to your history.

I intended to have mentioned earlier in my letter that our Vice President, Mr. James R. Langdon, is perhaps more fa­miliar with the history of our road than any gentleman in Montpelier. He, I think, was one of the original board of directors, with Gov. Paine as President. If at any time you should desire to make any further enquiry, it will give me pleasure to give you such information as I may have. Hoping you will continue to be as success­ful as you have been in the past, in the progress and completion of your work, and extending the compliments of the season,

I remain very truly and

Respectfully yours,



Mr. Bowers gives the engineers: Wm. Patterson, James Bowers, Henry Wallace, William Greenleaf, Fred Webster, Henry Buckley, Ed. Eaustice, Chas. Greenleaf, Wm. Dolloff, B. F. Merrill, William Gould, Robert Gregg, David Daniels, A. S. Caswell.

Through the hall of the Central depot you pass on a broad pavement of brick over to State street and the Pavilion hotel, from the steps of which you look back and have a good view of the depot. The view was taken from the steps of the Pavilion. It is at the Pavilion the Governors always stop during the sessions of the Legislature.

The baggage masters have been: Z. R. True, Gamaliel Washburn, S. E. Bailey, C. T. Hobart, H. W. Drew, T. W. Bailey, E. W. Thompson, W. H. Pingree, James Finn. The station agent was conductor on the Branch till the Barre road opened, since which T. W. Bailey has been con­ductor. S. L. Howe is the present station agent.


The Telegraph and Express Office.—The Vermont and Boston Telegraph Company was incorporated by the October Session of the Legislature. 1848, and a station es­tablished at Montpelier in connection with an express office of Cheney & Co., of Boston, opened in 1849. The express office was first kept, until the opening of the passenger depot, here, in the Hubbard building. Col. H. D. Hopkins was the first manager of both the telegraph and express office, and for 24 years after — Bigelow was the first telegraph operator. Mr. H. W. Drew, who succeeded Col. Hopkins, is the present express agent and manager of the telegraph office; Mr. A. G. Trulan, operator.



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       563


The next building of like public interest, after the Central depot, is the depot of the




run under W. A. Stowell's administration since this road was opened, Nov. 24, 1873; J. G. Farwell station agent to the present. The conductors from here to Wells River have been, H. S. Boutwell, son of Colonel Levi Boutwell, of Montpelier, George Smith, of this village, Henry Whitcomb, of Jonesville, Charles Ferrin, of this village, and Eugene Rand, present conductor.

Supt. — W. A. Stowell; Cashier and Gen'l Passenger Agent, Fred. W. Morse; Train Master, Henry W. Whitcomb.

Engineers and firemen.—John Carter, James Hadlock, Charles Field, James Boutwell, George Cummings, Geo. Morse, Charles Noyes, W. S. Keeler, Herbert Lawrence and Harvey Edgerly.







Col. Boutwell,—there was not in all the wide circle of his acquaintance a person who had seen another like him. His face was singularly expressive. He could look savage enough to chill you with fear, or kindly enough to inspire the confidence of the most doubting and timid. He said in his life-time a thousand things which for genuine originality and severity were worthy of a professional satirist. Many a time have we seen in town or village meeting a prosy debate cut short, and the vote reached by one of his brief, gruff speeches, as in the meeting of the Wells River railroad company in Jan., 1874. The meeting was about to ballot for directors, when one gentleman suggested that the Board should consist of five instead of nine, as heretofore. Another suggested seven; still others were on their feet ready to make some motion or suggestion, or engage in a little speech, when the sturdy old Colonel sprang nervously up, and said, "I think, Mr. Chairman, we will have it nine. I want some to watch, as well as others to pray." This speech was the end of the debate on that subject. The nine direc­tors were immediately ordered, and the election made.

Once he was sitting in the bar-room of



the "Pavilion," with his knees well spread before that familiar old fireplace, while he looked intently on the burning pile before him. His face bore a specially stern look. Some one came in, and saluted him with, "How are you, Colonel?" His reply was as apt as original. ''Well," he said: "I manage to keep tolerably even tempered,



            564                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.



thank ye; mad as the devil clear through all the time."

Col. Boutwell was a supporter of the "Church of the Messiah" —Unitarian— and a faithful attendant upon its services. Two or three years ago, in the summer season, some little boys of the neighbor­hood got in the way of loitering about the door and vestibule of the church dining service hours Sunday evenings. As they became familiar, they become also bold and somewhat noisy. At length they got so curious as to go up and push the door to the audience room a little open, and look in. Then if somebody in the audience changed position a little, so that they apprehended danger, they would "cut and run"; but presently, when all was quiet again, they would repeat the experiment. At length Col. Boutwell became much disturbed, and felt he could stand the uncivil conduct of the lads no longer. So he went out to rectify things, and give the lads some lessons in morals and good manners. The boys left the house by the shortest way, and run, some up street, some down, and some across. The Col. pursued hotly in one direction. Leaving his hat in the church, he soon lost also his wig. But without stopping to replace that, he followed on. At length he closed in with one of the intruders, and shaking him and cuffing him in a way more frightening than damaging, and heading him toward the church, he said, "what are you about here, you little cuss, you? Why ain't you up in there getting some religion, as you ought to be, instead of being out here raising the devil in this way?"

The Colonel was uncommonly bald, and without his heavy dark wig looked not a bit like himself. Once he was in the wash room of the Pavilion, and for convenience in his ablutions had laid his wig aside. Presently a young, spruce feeling chap, with extremely red hair, came in too. Noticing the Colonel's nude head, he inquired, "well, Uncle, why don't you have



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       565


some hair on your head?" It was an im­pudent question, and the Colonel knew it. Looking savagely on the red head of the saucy young stranger, he replied, "When they made me, and had me all finished ex­cept my hair, they told me that they had nothing left except red hair. I told them, then, 'I gad,' I wouldn't have any. I had rather go without. They might save that for impudent young popinjays and fools." The young inquisitive and joker was perfectly willing to drop the subject.





(From "THE PRESIDENT'S TOUR," By S. Putnam Waldo, published at Hartford, Ct., 1819.)


"At 10 (A. M.) he was met and wel­comed by the committee of arrangements, at Mr. Stiles', in Berlin. The procession was then formed, under direction of the marshals, and proceeded to Montpelier.

A little before 11, a discharge of artillery announced the near approach of the Chief Magistrate of the nation. On entering the village, he alighted from his carriage, and proceeded with the cavalcade, on horseback, to the Academy, through the Main street, lined on each side by citizens, under direction of Joseph Howes, Esq. Returning to the head of State street, the President dismounted, was received by the First Light Company,' commanded by Lieut. E. P. Walton, and conducted to the State House under a national salute from the Washington Artillery.'

In front of the State House, between three and four hundred masters and misses, students of the Academy and members of the schools in the village, dressed in a neat uniform, each tastefully decorated with garlands from the field of nature, were arranged in two lines facing each other, in perfect order. Previous to the arrival of the escort, the two companies of Cavalry, with an expedition and regularity which did them honor, had placed themselves at a proper and convenient distance on the left of the juvenile procession.

The President walked through this assemblage of youth, uncovering his head, and bowing as he passed, entered the State House under a fanciful arch of evergreens, emblematic, we trust, of the duration of our liberties, on one side of which were these words: 'July 4, 1776;' on the other, 'Trenton, Dec. 26, 1776.' When in front of the house, in the portico of the second story, the Hon. James Fisk, chairman of the committee of arrangements, in presence of the military and a great concourse of assembled citizens, delivered the following address:


To the President of the United.States:—

"SIR: —The citizens of Montpelier and its vicinity have directed their committee to present you their respectful salutations, and bid you a cordial welcome.

The infancy of our settlements places our progress in the arts and sciences something behind most of our sister states; but we shall not be denied some claim in a share of that ardent love of liberty, and the rights of man, that attachment to the honor and interest of our country, which now so dis­tinguish the American character; while the fields of Hubbardton, the heights of Wal­loomsack, and the plains of Plattsburgh, are admitted to witness in our favor.

Many of those we now represent, ventured their lives in the Revolutionary contest, and permit us, sir, to say, the value of this opportunity is greatly enhanced by the consideration, that we now tender our respects to one who shared in all the hardships and dangers of that eventful period, which gave liberty and independence to our country; nor are we unmindful that from that period until now, every public act of your life evinces an unalterable attachment to the principles for which you then contended.

With such pledges, we feel an unlimited confidence, that should your measures fulfil your intentions, your under the guidance of Divine Providence, will be as prosperous and happy as its commencement is tranquil and promising; and that the honor, the rights and inter­ests of the nation will pass from your hands unimpaired.


For the Committee.


"To this address the President made an affectionate and appropriate reply, which was received with three times three animated cheers by the citizens.



            566                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


The President then, with his suite, com­mittee, marshals and clergy, visited the schools in the Representatives' room, which was adorned with maps and globes drawn by the scholars; while the front of the gallery and chandelier displayed a beautiful variety of vines and ornaments. The scholars received him by rising, and Mr. Hill, the preceptor of the Academy, by saying, 'I present to Your Excellency the finest blossoms and fairest flowers that our climate produces'—he replied, 'They are the finest nature can produce.' After inspecting the maps and globes, with ap­probation, he retired; was received at the door by the 'Washington Artillery,' commanded by Capt. Timothy Hubbard, and escorted through a line of citizens extend­ing from the State House to the dwelling of Wyllis I. Cadwell, Esq., where he par­took of a cold collation served up with ad­mirable taste and elegance.

The schools then formed a procession, preceded by the 'First Light Company,' with instrumental music, and moved to the Academy. In passing, the President's quarters they saluted him; the masters, by uncovering their heads; the misses, by lowering their parasols.

The President having signified his pleasure to dispense with the escort of cavalry, after taking an affectionate leave of the committee of arrangements, ascended his carriage, and resumed his journey to Bur­lington."






Mr. Barker was at one time postmaster of Montpelier, and then high sheriff of the County, and at the time of his death, a well-known railroad contractor at Manitowoc, Wis. For many years be was, in Vermont, a leading man at the Capital, and exerted a strong influence in shaping the action of the democratic party, both personally and through the Vermont Patriot, with which he was for a time connected. When the Vt. Central railroad was build­ing, he was one of the contractors, and made about $10,000—a hand­some amount for the time. He subsequently took a contract on the New York end of the Rutland and Washington railroad, but when a crash came in the affairs of that road, he, with others, was obliged to succumb and go down. His loss was a heavy one, and involved others than himself, notably the late Hon. R. R. Keith, who suffered to the amount of $15,000. Mr. Barker's next venture was at Paineville, Ohio, and world have resulted favorably to him but for the fact that the company proved to be insolvent. His next move was Manitowoc above named. Judge Keith, who knew Mr. Barker better than any other man in Montpelier, though he lost by him, always had confidence in his capacity and integrity. Mr. B. was a genial man, a kind neighbor, and especially delighted to speak encouraging words to young men, and the results of some of his endeavors in this line happen to be known to the writer of this brief notice. Mr.




                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       567


Barker was a man not to be forgotten. In stature, he was very large, and in manner, exceptionally genial. Though a man of position and well-formed opinions, he could tenaciously maintain his own view of a question without wounding the feelings of another. Mr. Barker was very fond of church music—especially of the fugue tunes in vogue in the early years of the present century, and he, Ferrand F. Merrill, Capt. A. A. Sweet and Dr. Gustavus H. Loomis, all of whom were as fond of that style of music as Mr. Barker was, used to have many a pleasant sit-down together, re­hearsing them, and deploring their de­parture from the choirs and the choir re­pertories. Of these four gentlemen, only Capt. Sweet is living at this present writ­ing, Jan. 1882.


GEORGE C. SHEPARD, youngest son of the late Jonathan Shepard, was born in Montpelier, Aug. 26, 1820, and has been eminently a Montpelier man, not only spending his life here, but bringing a wife here, who is a grand-daughter of one of the earliest citizens of Montpelier, Thomas Brooks, and daughter of Joseph Brooks, who was a native of Montpelier; and he brought her to a beautiful Montpelier home, in the dwelling of the late Hon. Samuel Prentiss, which has been remodel­ed and improved so as to become as charming a home as the town can boast of. Mr. Shepard availed himself so well of our schools and Academy, that he has been able to discharge successfully every public duty. He is prominent socially, polit­ically and financially. For some years he was Director, Vice-President and Presi­dent of the old Bank of Montpelier, and he has been Director and Vice-President of the Montpelier National Bank. He represented the town in the Legislatures of 1862 and '63, and has also represented his Congressional District in a National Con­vention of the Republican party.

E. P. W.




who during the last days of his life occupied the house now owned and occupied by Col. Fred E. Smith, on Elm street, was a man to be remembered. He was by trade a saddler and harness-maker, and a man of very positive feelings and opinions, especially in politics. As an abolitionist, he was outspoken, even to bitterness, and delighted to get into an argument with a con­servative whig, that he might ply him with hard questions. His hatred of slavery, slave-holders and their apologists—Northern dough-faces, as he delight­ed to call them, was most intense. He was sheriff of Washington Co. from 1833 to 1837, and held the office of Sergeant-at-Arms at the State House one year, 1837 to '38.

Another prominent and well-known cit­izen of Montpelier for many years previous to 1868, was




who occupied a small cottage house on Elm street, opposite the old cemetery. He was for many years jailor, and also janitor in the old Brick Church, and his polite attentions to the needs of all wor­shipers there, are well remembered. He was a prominent Mason, and as such was



            568                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


highly respected. Two lodges of the order are named in honor of his memory, one at Danville, and another in Montpelier. He died in Dec. 1868.

H. D. H.






[From a full account of the "Old Brick" and the new "Bethany" church in files or the Argus & Patriot.]


Appreciating the uses of Christian wor­ship, the fathers of the town began in 1817 to discuss the propriety and necessity of a house for this purpose. The first act was the forming of the "Montpelier Meetinghouse Society, consisting of 62 gentlemen at first, and which list embraces, we judge, all the then prominent men of Montpelier: Samuel Prentiss, Samuel Goss, E. P. Wal­ton, Geo. Worthington, Nicholas Baylies, Sylvanus Baldwin, Daniel Baldwin, Holden Putnam, Jonathan Shepard, and others. In Dec. 1820. the list was augmented by 25 names more. Of these active men none are now living.

The society at its first meeting, Nov. 4, 1817, voted to build a house, Sylvanus Baldwin, Jeduthan Loomis, Samuel Goss, Calvin Winslow and J. H. Langdon to re­port a plan; Lovewell Warren, Joseph Wiggins, Joseph Howes "to view the sites proposed, ascertain prices and conveniences of each." Nov. 12, "committee on plan" made their report, not accepted; were in­structed to furnish a plan with steeple or cupola.

Nov. 24th, it was voted the house should be for the use of the First Congregationalist society in Montpelier, under the control of the proprietors; the sale of pews to commence at the State House, Nov. 29th; every note for the purchase of a pew should be payable to the society, and divided into three equal annual payments, one-half in neat stock or grain, and one-half in money: and the house was to be 60x70 feet, exclusive of cupola or steeple," with 122 pews.

Three lots were sharply contested for, one the site of the old brick house back of Mrs. Hyde's; one the lot of Mrs. Joseph Reed, oppo­site the State House, and the other that on which the Brick church was built. They had to resort to the ballot, taken at the State House, Dec. 10th, which resulted for the Houghton "spot." The house cost over $6,000. We cannot state when it was ready for occupancy, but its use was tendered to the General Assembly for the Election Sermon on the 2d Thursday, Oct. 1820, and to the Masonic Society the day previous, and Dec. 29th, 105 pews had been sold for $7,620, of which Calvin Winslow, the contractor, received $7,000. The highest price paid for a pew was $151, by Joseph Howes. Richard Wilkins, Jeduthan Loomis and Samuel Goss paid $150 each for a pew; Chester Houghton, $140; Jonathan Shepard, $120; Salvin Collins, $117.    .    .    .    And the old Brick church remained the Sabbath home of this society for more than 45 years. The last service in it was Sunday, May 6, 1866. In a few days the walls of the old church and the



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       569


Masonic hall were leveled to the ground, and the present Bethany church occupies the site.

Bethany exterior, 124x72, height of nave, 65 feet; Gothic architecture; tower height, 68 feet, 21x 21; chapel, 50 x 35; ridge, 36 feet from ground; church and tower, walls and buttresses, dark red stone; arches, mouldings, etc., dark blue stone; chapel walls, Burlington stone, almost white, with warm flush of rose; trimmings, of dark red stone; at eastern vestibule, with wide corridor and three porches, with tall gables finished with cappings of the dark blue stone, terminated with foliated crosses; and in the gable of the centre porch, in wall-recess, with pointed arch, the great rose-window, rich in tracery and stained glass; from the cornice of the belfry rises the spire, enriched with shafted windows, canopies, ornamental slating, to a finial and cross of gold, 153 feet from the ground; between the side walls of the church, arched windows, supported by but­tresses, filled with tracery; roofs of church, chapel porches, covered with slating in al­ternate bands of plain and shell-work.

As you enter from the vestibule, thus it



opens up; Interior divided by columns into nave and aisle, with an apsidal chan­cel; church and chancel, deep wainscotted in chestnut, with black walnut cap and base; beams of the roof cased in chestnut; ceiling, a clear blue; walls, a soft stone color; aisle-roof, nave-roof, arches, clere­story, spandals pierced with capsed open­ings, all highly ornamental; principal tim­bers of the roof, richly moulded; roof open quite to the ridge, 60 feet high from the floor of the audience room. The roof of the chancel is supported by detached shafts, their moulded bases resting on corbels in the angles of the apsis; carved ribs rising from these shafts to the stained glass sky­light in the centre; the chancel is separated from the nave by a richly-moulded arch, resting on clustered shafts; windows all with arched mouldings, resting on orna­mental corbels.

Choir and organ in the chancel, sepa­rated from the pulpit by columns and interlacing arches. The blue ceiling here has crimson and buff borders, panels with ornaments in color and panels with me­dallions. The walls of the chancel are maroon, border of crimson and buff, vine



            570                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


of oak leaves in blue; chancel windows, stained glass, bordered in blue, each with medallion in crimson; purple wall below each window, border of olive, white and green, with two panels with Gothic heads and spandrels filled with ornaments. The whole coloring of the interior is exceed­ingly rich and chaste, over nave and aisles, as well as chancel. The compartments formed in the blue ceiling by the roof timbers, have wide, rich borders—diag­onal bands of crimson and buff. The root timbers are a rich maroon, flecked with orange, yellow, and a stellar pattern in lighter maroon; the shields on the ends of hammer-beams, a white ground with crim­son border and scroll ornaments; "walls and columns below, neutral gray; shafts, arch-mouldings of windows and doors flecked out with crimson, green, purple and flesh color." We are taken with the beauty of the coloring, "the effect" of which "is much enhanced by the rich colors of the stained glass in the whole interior, chancel, side walls, clere-story, exceedingly beautiful. The chancel win­dows and large rose windows are es­pecially rich," with a declaration of the Most Holy Trinity in the centre light of the great rose window.

Our view represents the Interior of this church. For the history of Bethany, see Mr. Walton's paper, page 288; also 396-407. For the historian who writes up the history of the next hundred years of Montpelier, this handsome edifice of stone will remain perfect, as now; to the old which has already passed away, we there­fore give the more space and the more care to gather up its fragments now, before ir­revocably lost.

The organ is superbly pleasing to the eye, harmonizes admirably with the interior of the church, and for general quality of tone, and characteristic voicing of individual stops, we have never heard ex­celled: The clarionette seems like the veritable instrument itself, the obeo approximates more nearly to the true imitation than any stop we have ever heard called by its name—the vox humana —people hearing it are actually de­ceived by it, and look around to see who is sing­ing. We have many times heard it pronounced sec­ond to no instrument in the country of its size, and are not prepared to deny the statement. Its first concert was the evening before the dedication of Bethany.




Col. H. D. HOPKINS, who for 35 years knew all that was going on in all the choirs around; knew all the leading singers; kept singing-school; conducted musical con‑



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       571


ventions, and for 27 years conducted the music in "Brick" and "Bethany" churches, and so on; who knew the leaders in the "Old Brick" from the first day to the end, and who ought to have been asked for a paper on this subject, and would have been, had the Compiler been aware of his relations to these matters in time. Moses E. Cheney, of Barnard, the old popular singing-master of the State, says, "Brother Hopkins must be remembered when you notice the churches, certainly. He has done more free labor in Montpelier than any other man, and that so well."

The first transient singing-master that ever taught here, says Mr. Hopkins, was Joseph Wilder, from Derby, Vt., and the early choristers of the Brick church were Hon. Joseph Howes, O. H. Smith, Esq., several years, Dr. Gustavus Loomis, Chas. W. Badger, and Moses E. Cheney, who led the singing of the old Brick church about 1840, for 3 years, and did much to inspire the service of song with new life. He, also, was the projector and conductor of the first musical convention ever held in Vermont, and it is believed in America. It has been so stated in the public prints, and has never been denied. The con­vention was held in the old Brick church, May, 1839, and was attended by towns­people not only, but by clergymen and lawyers from all parts of the State. The facts relating to this convention should not go unmentioned, and the honor of it should be placed where it belongs, with Moses E. Cheney, the true Vermonter and antiquarian.

John H. Paddock was the first organist here. George W. Wilder, who is in busi­ness now at the head of State street, an esteemed citizen of Montpelier at the pres­ent time, was another organist at the old Brick, also Miss Hosford and a Mrs. Bigelow; and John and Zenas Wood were leading singers at the "Old Brick" in its palmy days, and perhaps others — doubtless.

Mr. H. assisted at, and reported for all the musical conventions held at Montpelier for more than 20 years, in which he says, in report of the Annual Central Vermont Musical Convention, held at Wash­ington Hall, in this village, Jan. '67— four days. Mr. Phillips, of St. Albans, elicited the first hearty applause, and Pro­fessor N. L. Phil­lips, of Barre, the man who perhaps has taught more singers than any other in Central Vermont, appear­ed in a superb solo. We are always astonished at the vigor and force of that voice, a grand type of what we wish all voices might be at sixty. The 5th and 6th same annual conventions Mr. Hopkins directed.

His first letter to the Boston Journal was written in 1859, and until the failing of his health, in 1875, he was the only regular Vermont correspondent of that paper. He has also written quite exten­sively for the Montpelier and other State



            572                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


papers. For some few years he has been too much of an invalid for business labor, but occasionally now writes a good article for press. We have been indebted on these last pages to his present pen and huge old scrap-book for several articles. As a specimen of the Colonel's humorous vein, we purloin the folowing:






For three full years, and something more.

     You've served me a faithful "pair;"

I therefore don't wonder that, all things considered,

     You're looking "the worse for the wear."


Your "bottoms" and "uppers" were ''A number one."

     And fitting so snugly about,

Have made a good place to keep "a foot in,"

     While the damp and the cold you kept out.


Yes, "A number one!" I wear nothing else;

     Double soles—oak-tanned and French calf,

Albeit old Crispin, with impertinence, said,

     "You wear number nine and a half,"


'Twas a way you had, much to your credit.

     In parting, permit me to say,

Of being quite constantly "round under foot,"

     And yet, not much in the way.


In bidding you now a long adieu,

     And remembering the good you have done,

I give you permission, if the d—] don't get you,

     To say that your "soles are your own."


And if in the place where you finally stop,

     There should chance to be paper and quill,

Please write me a letter, and tell me if

     They permit you to "go it boots" still.






In the race that thou hast run.

In this cycle of the sun,

Hast thou in life's battle won?

     What bast thou done?

     What bast thou done?


When fears shadowed o'er the field.

In temptation didst thou yield?

Or hast thou in life's battle won?

     What hast thou done?

     What hast thou done?


Hast thou fainted by the way,

'Neath the burden of noon-day?

Or hast thou in life's battle won?

     What bast thou done?

     What hast thou done?


Josephine M. Sweet, a native of Montpelier, a contributor to the Watch­man, Green Mountain Freeman, etc, under the nom de plume of "Evangeline," for many years.

The zephyrs commence to come, the poets from abroad join to help Mont­pelier sons and daughters sing — one, [was it the Hon. Wm. C. Bradley?] It is like his wit. very, and of his palmy time, joins in a




[Written soon after the adjournment of the Ver­mont Legislature, Nov. 1826.]


Montpelier mourns—her streets are still,

     Save when the street-yarn ladles spin;

And scarce a stranger's seen at Mann's,

     Or Campbell's, or at Cottrill's Inn.


The guardians of the people's rights

     Have done their work, gone home to prove it

And let the State-house stand, because

     Barnum and Bailey could not move it.


But though the building stands secure.

     And long may stand the village boast,

The villagers are called to mourn

     The comforts and the friends they're lost.


Their Butler's gone, their Baker, too;

     Their Clarkes have fled as Swift as thought;

Their Barber's left their chins unshaved,

     And e'en their Potter's gone to pot.


Their Walkers nimbly walked away,

     Their Mason and their Smiths are still;

Their Carpenters lay down their tools,

     Their honest Miller leaves his mill.



                                                             MONTPELIER.                                                       573


Their skillful Fisher-man has gone

     With Bales to lure and Spear to strike;

With him are fled the Finney tribe,

     But more especially the Pike.


The Swan they dearly loved to pick,

     Has flown, with plumage bright as gold;

Their Buck has bounded o'er the hills,

     Their playful Lamb has broke his fold.


The Noble and the Young have gone.

     The Rich have left them to despair;

Their Gay, their Best attire is lost,

     And not a Spencer's left to wear.


Their learned Proctor, pious Dean.

     And holy Palmer in the lurch.

Have left their flocks, and left them, too,

     Without a Temple, Bell or Church.


And those who loved the mazy dance.

     Enjoy no more the lively Ball;

They've lost, alas! their pleasure House,

     And miss their richly-furnished Hall.


They once could boast. a pleasant Hill,

     Delightful Rhodes, a charming Lane,

A Warren, Bridge, and Shedd and Barnes,

     That they may never see again.


Their Forrest and their Woods are felled.

     The Major who their forces led,

Has broken up his glittering Camp,

     And friendly Scott and French are tied.


All's lost! the own have lost their Crafts,

     They've lost their Ambler and their Wheeler,

Have lost their Steele, their Peck, their Rice:

     And, oh! their women hove lost their Keeler.


Yes, all is lost, and those who've gone,

     Have long ere now, perchance. forgot 'cm:

They lost their Solace, lost their Child.

     And lost their Pride, and Hyde, and Bottum,


Amos W. Barnum, Vergennes.

Benjamin F. Bailey, Burlington.

His Excellency Ezra Butler, Waterbury.

Samuel S. Baker, Arlington.

Samuel Clark, Brattleboro; Jonas Clark, Middletown.

Benjamin Swift, St. Albans.

David Barber, Hubbardton.

Abel W. Potter, Pownal.

Leonard Walker, Springfield; James O. Walker, Whiting.

Leonard Mason, Ira.

Ira Smith, Orwell; Asahel Smith, Ludlow; Israel H. Smith, Thetford; Joab Smith, Fairfield.

Luther Carpenter, Orange; Dan Carpn­ter, Waterbury.

Alexander Miller, Wallingford.

Nathan Fisher, Parkerstown, now Mendon.

Robert B. Bates, Middlebury, Speaker.

Spear —no such name in list of the Legislature in Walton's Register, for 1826.

Johnson Finny, Monkton.

Ezra Pike, Jr., Vineyard , now Isle La Motte.

Benj. Swan, Woodstock, State Treasurer.

D. Azro A. Buck, Chelsea.

Shubael Lamb, Wells.

William Noble, Charlotte.

Nathan Young, Strafford.

Moody Rich, Maidstone.

Dwight Gay, Stockbridge.

Thomas Best, Highgate.

William Spencer, Corinth.

Jabez Proctor, Councillor.

Barnabas Dean, Weathersfield.

William A. Palmer, Danville.

Robert Temple, Rutland.

James Bell, Walden.

Charles Church, Hancock.

Abraham Ball, Athens.

Alvin House, Montgomery.

William Hall, Rockingham.

Jarius Hall, Wilmington,

Burgess Hall, Shelburne.

Samuel Hill, Greensboro.

William Rhodes, Richmond.

Josiah Lane, Wheelock.

George Warren, Fairhaven.

John Bridge, Pomfret.

Jonah Shedd, Peacham.

Melvin Barnes, Jr., Grand Isle.

Wells De Forrest, Lemington.

Nathan Wood, Vernon; Jonah Wood, Sherburne; Ziba Woods, Westford.

Major Hawley, Manchester.

David M. Camp, Derby.

Richard Scott, Stratton.

Thomas G. French, Brunswick; John French, Minehead, now Bloomfield.

Samuel C. Crafts, Orleans Co. Councillor.

James Ambler, Jr., Huntington.

Nathan Wheeler, Grafton.

William Steele, Sharon.

John Peck, Washington Co. Councillor.

Ephraim Rice, Somerset.

Wolcott H. Keeler, Chittenden.

Calvin Solace, Bridport.

Thomas Child, Bakersfield.

Darius Pride, Williamstown.

Dana Hyde, Jr., Guilford.

Nathan Bottum, Shaftsbury.




            574                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


PATENTS, we have not had any paper prepared for: Dennis Lane took out a patent for improvement in head blocks for saw-mills, Sept. 6, 1864; Ashbel Stimson, in 1876, for spring-hinges for doors.

At THE CENTENNIAL. Montpelier Man­ufacturing Company took the award for children's carriages, and F. C. Gilman for sulky and buggy.




We have not yet obtained a satisfactory list. We will mention here briefly the few not already included in a family no­tice in these pages, that have been fur­nished to us chiefly by Chas. De F. Ban­croft and Mr. Walton, and will be pleased if a more extensive list may be given for the County volume.—ED.


L. L. WALBRIDGE, a native of Montpelier, has been reporter for the Boston Journal, and city editor of the St. Louis Democrat; is one of the best short-hand writers in the country; was one of the wit­nesses on the impeachment trial of Presi­dent Johnson.

WM. PITT KELLOGG, present U. S. Sen­ator from Louisiana, the son of Rev. Sher­man Kellogg, we counted once as a "Montpelier boy;" also, HENRY C. NUTT, son of Henry Nutt, of this town, now President of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad; JOEL MEAD, a wealthy lumber merchant in Sheboygan, Wis.; JAMES MEAD, his brother, a leading banker in Oshkosh, Wis. Their aged mother still resides with us; WM. P. STRONG, son of the old hotel-keeper here. President of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, a brother of his in Faribault, Minn., and another, a prominent business man in Beloit, Wis.; EDWIN S. MERRILL, son of the late Timothy Merrill, in Winchendon, Mass.; GEORGE SILVER, son of Isaiah Silver, in Tivola, N. Y.; JAMES DAVIS, son of Anson Davis, and great-grandson of Col. Jacob Davis, Pro­fessor in an Institution in New York City; DODGE W. KEITH, son of Hon. R. W. Keith, who gives his father's portrait to the work, a successful merchant in Chicago; HAROLD SPRAGUE, a merchant in Chicago; R. J. RICHARDSON, of Des Moines, Iowa, a grain merchant; JAMES and FRANK MULDOON were born poor boys, now successful traders in Wisconsin; HENRY L. LAMB, in Troy, inspector of banks, has been editor on the Troy Times; Col. E. M. BROWN, editor of the New Orleans Delta during Butler's administration; AZEL SPALDING, a member of the Kansas House of Representatives in 1861; Hon. A. W. SPALDING, son of Azel, Senator of Jeffer­son County, Kansas, in 1862; FRED. T. BICKFORD, who has been Superintendent of the U. S. Telegraph Co. at Pittsburg, Pa., and Superintendent of the Russian Extension Telegraph Co's. line in Siberia, now at Washington, D. C., we think; and many others whom the old friends at home would be pleased to see enrolled on their list of sons and citizens abroad.




OMISSION in Mr. Gilman's list of Mr. Walton's printed papers—an address on the death of Stephen A. Douglass in 1863, printed by order of Congress. E. P. W.

Page 365 should read, "we do not give sermons when the statements seem suffi­cient;" we sometimes give sermons—his­torical ones.

Page 539, "where the sun touches first the grove," not "where the sun touches first the grave." Same paper, page 537, iron-framed; not corn-framed.

Page 478 should read, an obituary by Dr. Sumner Putnam.

Page 424, The interior of St. Augustine's, for there are two side aisles, but no centre aisle, should read, there are two side aisles and a centre aisle, and "Between the win­dows, in simple black wood frames, the stations," should read instead, in gilt frames. In this last mistake we wholly exonerate our compositors—it was our own mistake, in the press of our cares but too carelessly made; and it should have been added, the church has very handsome vest­ments and altar adornments, a lovely statue of the Blessed Virgin, and upon a Christ­mas night or Easter morning appears very fresh and beautiful.—ED.

Page 530, John W. Culver in 1833, not '35.

Montpelier's Lament, page 572, from old scrap-book of Dr. Bradford, of Northfield.