MORETOWN.                                                        593




[Compiled from the newspaper records and papers contributed.]


"The township was chartered June 7, 1763, the grant to contain 6 square miles to be divided into 71 shares; one-eighth to each of the 64 proprietors; each drawing one lot out of each division, there being three divisions." The charter says, before any division of land be made to proprie­tors, a tract of land as near the center of the town as the land will admit shall be reserved and marked out for town lots, one of which shall be allotted to each pro­prietor, of the contents of 1 acre—they paying as rent therefor for the term of 10 years, one ear of Indian corn, on the 25th of Dec. annually, if lawfully demanded, and said rent to commence Dec. 25, 1762. Also each proprietor was to pay one shil­ling proclamation money on every 100 acres of land. After the town was organ­ized, it passed a vote to "quiet" those who had previously selected and were occupy­ing lots, in lieu of drawing by lot as speci­fied in the grant. By "quiet" it is pre­sumed was meant to let them hold the lots selected. Moretown was settled prior to 1790; for in 1790, Ebenezer Haseltine came to the N. W. part, and commenced to clear a farm about a mile and a half from Duxbury line. It was on Winooski or Onion river, and the place where his son, Ebenezer Haseltine, now resides. But it appears that Seth Munson was living near where Mr. Haseltine made a pitch, when Mr. H. arrived—so it is evident a few settlers had made a beginning prior to 1790. At this date, 1790, there were only a few houses in Montpelier, and these were log; and it is said that Mr. H. helped cut the first hay ever cut in Montpelier, and on the spot where the Vermont Watchman office now stands. When the Indians were on their way to burn Royalton, they camped on the meadow owned by Mr. Haseltine. Arrow heads and stone hatchets have been found on this farm. The first school district in town was formed in this neighborhood. Mrs. Ebenezer Haseltine and Aunt Judith Haseltine used to gather sap on snow-shoes, and catch cart loads of trout from Onion river. Aunt Judith H. died in Aug. 1876, aged more than 95 years. In those early days the settlers went to Burlington to mill, in canoes, carrying the canoe and grist around the falls in Bolton. Sometimes they would make "plumping mills," by making a hole in a large stump to hold the grain, and bending a sapling over, fasten to it a chunk of wood to pound the corn with. Of this no one need be ashamed, for one of our presidents ground corn in the same way. Bears and wolves disturbed the people to some extent, frequently coming out in the daytime. Three wolves came one night and put their paws on the yard fence of Abner Child, on Moretown Common, but went back to the mountains and howled. The next day, about 2 P. M., a deer came and jumped into the same yard, being driven in by the wolves, it was thought. The deer soon left, and wolves' tracks were afterward seen in connection with its tracks toward the river.

A young lady was riding on horseback from the Common toward the Hollow, and met a bear. She turned back, told her story, and some men rallied, pursued and killed the bear. It was distributed between persons, many wanting a piece. The head was taken by one man, and the next day or two the jaw of the bear was put on the table whole, the teeth all in.

A few years since, as Rev. Mr. Powers was returning from Northfield to this town, he met a bear, which he treed and watched while his boy went to the village and rallied some men, who came and killed the bear. It was voted to give Mr. P. the bear. The bears have not all left town, but the most of those remaining are biped.

Mar. 9, 1792, Joseph Haseltine, Seth Munson, David Parcher and Ebenezer Haseltine petitioned Richard Holden, a justice of the peace of Waterbury, to call a town meeting of inhabitants of Moretown, to meet at Jos. Haseltine's, Mar. 22, 1792, to elect town officers.

Met agreeable to warning and chose Daniel Parcher, moderator; and chose Seth Munson, town clerk; chose as select­men, Joseph Haseltine, Daniel Parcher and John Heaton; chose Philip Bartlett,



            594                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


treasurer; chose Joseph Haseltine, con­stable; chose John Heaton and Ebenezer Haseltine, listers; chose Joseph Haseltine, collector of town rates; and Joseph Parcher, highway surveyor. Voted to dissolve the meeting. Attest,

                                                  SETH MUNSON, Town Clerk.


Up to 1832, the town meetings were held on Moretown Common. At that date an article in the "warning" for town meeting called the voters together under great excitement. Much confusion prevailed, until it was ordered to call every voter into the house, and appoint a talisman to notice each man and record "yes" or "no" as he should pass out, voting on the article.

The article was to see if the legal voters would remove the town meeting from the Common to the Hollow. The majority voted "yes." Since that date the town meetings have been held at the Hollow. The present town house was then started by subscription.— Written in 1876.

[Among the papers of the late Henry Stevens, Antiquarian of Vermont, we copied the following heads of papers in his collections: "Surveys in Moretown," "A vendue pitch for Nathaniel Chipman," con­taining 360 acres, No. 83, signed Wm. Sawyer. In the office of Robert Temple, Rutland County Court, "Copies of Ira Allen's sales in Moretown"; complete, I think. "Copy of Smith's deed of land in Moretown"; "Copy of Sawyer's deed to Lovell"; "Ira Allen and Fiske's agreement selecting lands in Moretown"; "Agree­ment concerning land in Moretown between Ira Allen, and James Mowry, of Corinth"; "Ira Allen and Thomas Mead's land in Moretown"; "Colchester, June 25, 1790, Deed to Col. Ira Allen of 500 acres of land in Moretown, by Samuel Allen."]

By searching the old records, it is found proprietor's meetings were held for some years after the town was organized.

Among the prominent men of the pres­ent century may be named Abner Child, who was one of the earlier settlers, Harvey W. Carpenter, Alpheus C. Noble, Hon. Joseph Sawyer, Rufus Clapp and Calvin Kingsley, M. D., town clerk for 44 years, or since 1832. He is now partially retired to enjoy a competency gained in his profession. The others have nearly, if not all, died, and some of them were of the principal men from 1830 to 1850.

The Dr. has also represented the town several times in the State Legislature.

Judge Sawyer has a widow and 2 sons residing in town. One of those sons has "a bull's eye" watch which the Judge used to carry, and which had not been cleaned and run for 40 years until recently; it is said to be 150 years old. The same son has a clock 100 years old.

A very serious calamity occurred in 1830 —the greatest freshet ever known in Mad River Valley. It raised the river until nearly all the street was covered. Miss Harriet Taylor, of Waitsfield, (now Mrs. Hon. Roderick Richardson, of Boston, Mass.,) was teaching school in our village at the time of the freshet. She boarded with a family living where Mr. Freeman now resides. The water drove them, in the night, to the chamber of the house, and they could, in the darkness, hear the splashing of the water and the thumping of floating chairs and tables against the chamber floor—to which the water had risen. To add to their distress the cries of a sick child were constantly calling their attention. Toward morning the cellar wall under a part of the house, fell in with a splash, causing new fright which led the inmates of the chamber to pray to God, the Father of Him who once said to the winds and waves, "Be still." The next morning the family and teacher were floated away to safety on a barn door. The sick child died in a few hours after the rescue. Henry Carpenter, residing further down the river, started with his wife and boy, the boy walking between them, with hands in theirs, to go to a neighbor's. They in­tended to keep the road, wading through the water; but coming to deeper water Mrs. Carpenter let go the boy's hand and probably became strangled. Mr. C. called in the darkness but no voice replied. The boy swam back to the house. The father in sadness rallied some neighbors, and the next day the mother and wife was found on the meadow below, cold in death.



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        595


One family fled to the hills and stayed out all night in the rain, holding a little babe in their arms. Who the little babe was let grandmother tell.

This newspaper record sent to us, we think, by Rev. Seldon B. Currier, we will interrupt here to give.






I have used the term, bursting of a cloud, as the caption of this article, because it is expressive of a popular notion, and not be­cause it is either philosophical or correct. It has long been a prevalent belief, that in cases of extraordinary falls of water over particular localities, clouds, like old leath­er bottles, suddenly burst and let the wa­ter they contain fall to the earth almost in a body, like rivers falling over precipices in cataracts; whereas nothing could be more unscientific or farther from the truth. No collected body of water, not even to the amount of a quart, could remain suspended in a cloud a single second, but would in­stantly fall to the earth from the force of the universal law of gravitation. The great deluging torrents of rain that occa­sionally occur, simply proceed from unusual thickness, or upward extent of the cloud. This will be more readily understood, per­haps, when we consider, that if a cloud half a mile thick discharges from its gath­ering mists a heavy rain, one of a mile thick would produce a rain doubly heavy, and so on, in the same proportion, with every additional thickness of cloud, till that thickness, as has been known some­times to be the case, extends upwards to the distance of 5 or 6 miles, when from the whole mass the water reaches the earth less in the form of rain, indeed, than the pouring of a cataract.

The most remarkable instance of these great falls of water, which was ever known in this region, occurred about 30 years ago, round the sources of Jones's Brook, a small mill stream that rises in Moretown mountains and empties into the Winooski river 3 miles below Montpelier. The mountains round the source of this stream rise to the hight of about 2000 feet, with unusual abruptness, and, at the same time, so curve round as to leave the intermediate space in the form of a deep, half-basin, down the precipitous sides of which a sud­den shower descends almost as rapidly as water strolling down the steepest roof of a house, and collecting at the bottom, pours, in a raging river, down the valley to the outlet of the stream. It was over this mountain-rimmed basin that burst the extraordinary thunder-storm which I have undertaken to describe, and which passed among the inhabitants under the name of the bursting of a cloud.

On the day and hour this storm occurred, I chanced to be on a high hill, east of Montpelier village, which afforded a plain view of the whole range of the Moretown mountains. It was a still, sultry, mid­summer day, when my attention being at­tracted by the sudden obscuration of the sun, I looked toward the west, and saw the unusual spectacle of two heavy clouds rap­idly rolling toward each other, in the line of the range just named, from diametrically opposite directions, the point where the collision must occur being evidently at the natural basin already particularized, or on the high mountain above it. These strangely moving clouds I watched with in­tense interest. On, on they rolled toward each other, with their long, streaming col­umns and menacing fronts, like two op­posing, hostile lines of cavalry rushing to­gether for deadly conflict. As anticipated, the collision occurred directly over the ba­sin and on the sides of the adjoining mountains, and there, the opposing cur­rents being of equal strength, the inter­mingling clouds came to a dead stand. Presently, however, the colliding masses began to rise upward and double over and over till they had swelled into a huge, dome-like figure, shooting up miles into the darkened heavens, and here commenced a startling display of the electric phenome­non. With the short, sharp and quickly repeating peals of thunder, the fierce streams of lightning were seen bursting in rapid succession from every part of the sur­charged cloud, like some hotly worked battery of artillery from a smoke-enveloped field of battle. But soon the expanding cloud shut out the basin and valley from sight; and, being unable to see more, I returned home, and, with much interest, waited to hear the result of the fearful ele­mental exhibition I had been witnessing.

The news of the remarkable, and in one instance, fatal effects of that storm, in the disastrous flooding of Jones's Brook, at length reached us. The inhabitants of the basin, when the storm burst upon them so suddenly and unexpectedly, were struck with astonishment and alarm at the unwonted quantities of water that descended upon them from the seemingly flooded heavens. A settler who lived nearest the foot of the mountain described the rain as "coming down in bucketsful." I was in a field a short distance from my house when it struck, and was so astonished at first I knew not what to do. But the rain, if it could be called rain, coming thicker and



            596                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


faster, I ran with all my might for the house, but was almost drowned before I got there, and then it was only to find the water gushing into the house on all sides till it was nearly knee-deep on the floor." And so with all the inhabitants of the basin. No place afforded them any protection; rivers were in all their houses within, and rivers, rising into seas, were all around them without; and they looked on with mute consternation at that tremendous out­pouring of the clouds. But they were the first to be relieved. The rain, after the brief duration of less than half an hour, ceased as suddenly as it came; and the in­habitants ran out of their drenched houses just in time to behold the numerous uniting streams, that had come pouring down from the encircling mountain, gathering into a mighty river that swept away shanties, fences, old trees, logs, lumber and everything in its path, and bearing them in wild confusion on its surface, went foam­ing, tumbling and roaring, like a cataract, with amazing force, down the valley to­ward the outlet, three or four miles below.

But the principal scene arising from the destructive and fatal progress occurred at a saw-mill, owned by Mr. Oren Clark, and situated about a mile from the mouth of the stream. When the storm was spending its force on the sides of the mountain and the basin beneath, Mr. Clark was at work in a field near the mill with his hired man, Ebenezer Eastman. And being apprised by the great volume and blackness of the clouds hanging over the mountain at the west, that an unusual shower was falling round the sources of the stream, they proceeded at once to the mill and commenced such temporary repairs of the dam and flume as would, they believed, secure them against the rush of water, which, in greater or less quantities, they knew would soon be down upon them. While deeply en­grossed in hurrying forward the contem­plated repairs, they were aroused by a deafening roar that burst suddenly upon their ears from the stream but a short dis­tance above the mill; when looking up they beheld to their astonishment and alarm, a wild, tumultuous sea of comming­ling flood-wood and turbid waters, with a wall-like front ten feet high, tumbling and rolling down upon them with furious up­roar, and with the speed of the wind. Knowing that the mill could not stand before such an avalanche of water, and beginning to be specially alarmed for their personal safety, they attempted to secure a retreat over the log-way which extended from the mill to the high grounds five or six rods distant. Over this they made their way with all possible speed. But such was the velocity of the on-rushing torrent that they had not proceeded half way before the mill building came down with a crash behind them, the log-way was swept from beneath their feet, and the next moment they were struggling for their lives in a flood a dozen feet deep, foaming, boiling, and so filled with trees, timber and all sorts of ruins, that it did not seem pos­sible for a human being to be borne along in the frightfully whirling mass and live a single minute.

"I saw Eastman once," said Mr. Clark in describing to me this, the most terrible scene of his life. "It was when I rose to the surface after the first plunge. He was struggling desperately to get his head above the flood-wood. But I saw him no more; for the next moment, I was borne down beneath the surface by a raft of logs that swept over me. From that time was whirled onward with my head some­times below, and sometimes above the wa­ter, till I found myself nearing the wooded bank on the opposite side of the stream, when I soon came within reach of a small tree, which I grasped and held on to, till I began to count myself saved. But the tree quickly came up by the roots and I was again plunged into the flood. But, though now nearly in despair, I struggled on, and soon was fortunate enough to grasp another sapling by means of which I at length drew myself ashore and fell down half drowned and half dead from bruises and exhaustion. It was now nearly dark. After rallying my strength a little, I com­menced crawling and stumbling through the tangled thickets along up the stream till, after a struggle of seeming hours, I at last reached a point opposite my house, where, by loud hallooing, I rallied my family, who believed me lost, and informed them I would proceed on to the next house, on that side, stay all night and cross the next morning. This I did, and the next morning reached home, where I was re­ceived as one risen from the dead."

The remains of Eastman were found the next day washed up near the mouth of the stream on the meadow of Samuel Jones, who was injured in the loss of crops, the covering of his lands by flood-wood and washing away the soil, to the amount of $300. Whether Eastman was drowned, or killed by being crushed among the logs, was never known. Either cause was suf­ficient to have produced his death.

Such were the leading events attending the memorable thunder-storm on Jones's Brook.

The Mad river affords some of the best water privileges found in the State, and



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        597


should the inhabitants of Moretown induce some moneyed firm to put in a large man­ufacturing house here, thus utilizing more of the water power, and urge the building of a contemplated railroad, which has al­ready been surveyed through the town, it would greatly develop the resources of and build up our town.

Moretown is considerably broken in surface, but is romantic, and affords much to please and profit the student of nature. Camel's Hump is seen from various points, and is only a few miles distant from More­town. Mineral springs are found here, which by puffing and patronizing, would be quite equal to many, no better, but cel­ebrated ones.

It is quite a dairy town, some farmers having 20 or more cows, and many others 10 to 20.

There are now 3 stores, 3 blacksmith shops, two saw-mills, 2 clapboard, 2 shingle and 2 planing-machines in the village; also 1 hotel, 1 harness-shop, employing several workmen, 2 carriage and sleigh-shops, 1 grist-mill, 1 sash, door and blind-shop, near by a dressmaker, 2 milliners, 1 goldsmith and 1 tinman.

We have also a very excellent high school, taught by Miss Folsom.

Polly Phemia Munson was probably the first child born in Moretown, and Paul Knapp the first person who died in town. He was killed by the fall of a tree.

[Thus far the paper we credit to Rev. Seldon B. Currier. The following is from a lady of Moretown, contributed 10 or 12 years since]:

The first school-house in this town was within the limits of the present village of Moretown. In the first settlement of the town there were three lots set off for the first minister. Rev. Mr. Brown, Univer­salist, the first minister settled, deeded the land to the town for the benefit of schools. There are 14 school districts in town now, and we had three schools in the village last winter (1869), and for sev­eral years we have had a select school every spring and fall. Our population in 1860 was a little over 1400. There has not been any state prison candidate from this place to this date—1870.

Our first representative of the town, Luther Moseley, was chosen by 7 voters.

The first store was opened here by Winship & Thornton, 1815. The first load of goods was bought in Burlington, and brought into town by Cephas Car­penter. Winship was a butcher from that place.

In 1822, Mr. Stevens commenced trade here. He built a distillery to make whisky, and died about 2 years after. His death was a great loss to the town. A starch factory was built in 1833, by Martin L. Lovell and Francis Liscomb, and run about 5 years, after which it was bought by Jesse Johnson, and used for a tannery from 3 to 5 years, when it was burned.

The first and only hotel to the present, was built and kept by Joseph Sawyer, in 1835. There are some stores of the olden time here

Nearly 50 years since, Nathan Wheeler (I think his name was Nathan), 5 years old, son of Ira Wheeler, was lost on his way home from school. The news spread. The farmers left their hay down, and came from Waterbury, Northfield, Duxbury, Waitsfield, nearly 1500 men, and joined in the search for the lost boy. After a three days' diligent hunt the boy was found in Duxbury. It rained very hard when he was found, and the little fellow was trudg­ing on; he said he was going home. Capt. Barnard said if the boy should work hard all of his life and be prospered, he never could pay all for their trouble in finding him; but when we realize the sympathy and good feelings manifested, he felt that they were all well paid. The boy grew to be a man, became a good soldier and died for his country, and so, well paid.




a farmer and prominent citizen of More­town, was a whole-souled man, much es­teemed by his neighbors. About the time he was appointed Colonel, Capt. Rufus Barnard, Capt. Orson Skinner, Maj. Elias Taylor and Col. Clapp attended a military meeting at Waterbury one evening, and after the meeting, it being 10 o'clock P. M.,



            598                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


it was agreed they would all go to Major Taylor's, in Waitsfield, to see a large cat­amount that had been killed on the East Mountain. The company filled 2 sleighs. It was very cold, but they reached Waits­field, and actually saw a large dead cat­amount. The company did not get back to Moretown till the next morning.

Many years before this, Mr. Clapp was carrying an iron kettle he had borrowed of a neighbor, home on his head. He lived at this time on Mad river, about a mile above Moretown village. Being tired, he sat down to rest, and soon saw a bear seated a little distant, suspiciously regarding him and his kettle. Clapp sprang forward, and cast his kettle at the bear. The bear not liking the sound of the kettle as it fell, rushed away, and Clapp picking up the kettle, made his best way home. Mr. Clapp died about 2 years since (1868). The record of him is, "a man truthful and upright in all his dealings."

Samuel Pierce, who settled here from Berlin many years since, tells of several deer having been killed in Moretown soon after he came. They were shot when they came down from the mountain to drink. He and Burr Freeman killed one, and he had the skin tanned and made into gloves, and for a long time after boasted of having a pair of Vermont deer-skin gloves. Mr. Pierce is now (1870), about 70 years of age.




from Massachusetts, was the first physician that settled in town He lived on the farm now occupied by Mr. Bisbee. He was a good doctor, upright in all his prac­tice, and made himself honored and useful in his chosen field of labor. He died in Barnard about 1864. Soon after he came to Moretown, one man remarked that the Doctor had a very good theory of physic, but he lacked the practice. Soon after this Mr. A. March had a sick child. He went to the Doctor and wanted to get some theory of physic for his child. The Doctor gave him some, and often spoke of the joke to his friends.




came to this town in Feb. 1827, and has been in practice here now over 40 years. He has many friends, and is now (1870), the town clerk. Dr. Calderwood came to assist Dr. K. in his practice in May of this year. [Dr. Kingsley was town clerk from March 1832 to March 1880, annually elected, holding the office 48 years, and about 10 months to the time of his death. He was postmaster from 1837 to '62—25 years, and represented Moretown in the Legislature in 1841, '42, and was actively engaged in his profession here 52 years, till within 2 years of his death, Jan. 4, 1881, aged 76.]




homoeopathist, has been here 2 years, from 1868. He, too, has been successful and won many friends, and his wife has also made herself welcome among us, by teach­ing music.

There are three merchants in town: C. Lovejoy, James Evans, Nathan Spaulding. Mr. Evans commenced trade May, 1862 [removed to Boston since]. Mr. Spaulding commenced about 1858, and has charge of the post-office [gone to Burling­ton]. His father, now deceased, was a highly esteemed Methodist minister. He was buried here.

There is one grist-mill in town [two now], owned by a Mr. Robinson; 1 sash and blind factory, owned by Geo. Bulkley and Geo. Thornton, [which is now Mr. Fassett's grist and saw-mill, tub factory and planing-machine matcher,] four saw­mills, three owned by David T. Jeff. Belding, one on the river by Lorenzo Wells's; 3 blacksmith's shops, carried on by Curt. Carpenter & Co., Calvin Foster, and M. Taylor; Calvin Foster's carriage shop, where he has done a good business a great many years; Towle & Lovejoy's wheel­wright shop, where a good business has been done; [given up and turned into the blacksmith shop of Wallings & Spauld­ing]; Collins built another shop and con­tinued business as before; William Saw­yer's harness shop employs several men, [has removed into a larger shop, with his son, partner]; Mr. Towle's harness shop [he has left town, and the shop is now closed]; and we have also 2 shoemakers.



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        599


[Written by Mrs. Smith in 1870, corrected by Mr. Aaron Goss, of Moretown, in the fall of 1881.]






The original members of the First Con­gregational Church in Moretown were— Reuben Hastings, John Stockwell, Sam­uel Eaton, Mrs. Eleazer Wells, and Mrs. Stockwell. The meeting for the organi­zation was in the first log school-house.

Mrs. Smith gives from the records the following account of the second organ­ization:

"The Congregational Church in More­town and Duxbury met this day at the house of Dea. Benton in said Moretown, for the purpose of taking into considera­tion the disorganization of the said church In Moretown and Duxbury, organized church. The subject had been previously presented to these churches, and the above named meeting of the two churches was duly warned. The meeting was agonized by choosing the Rev. Samuel G. Tenney of Waitsfield, moderator, and the Rev. Lyndon S. French of Fayston, co-minister commissioned by the Vt Dom. Society to labor in the church of Fayston and More­town, scribe. After due consideration it appeared that the church in Moretown was not prepared for the new organization. It was accordingly voted to adjourn the meeting until the 18th day of January, 1836, to be held at the same place, and that previous to the new organization, each church, separately, should hold a meeting to pass a vote that the new organization should be the dissolving of the two former churches in said Moretown and Duxbury.

            Signed                                SAMUEL G. TENNEY,

                                                       LYNDON S. FRENCH.

            Moretown, Jan. 18, 1836."


The church in Moretown and Duxbury met agreeably to agreement, having, as was voted at the first meeting, each of them voted to disorganize the old church by organizing a new one. The moderator then called for those members in those two churches who wished to unite in a new church, to present themselves. The following members came forward from Moretown: Nathan Benton, Eunice, his wife, Abraham Spofford and Sarah, his wife, H. Spaulding and Mary, his wife. From Duxbury: Reuben Munson and Mary, his wife, Earl Ward, and Mrs. Fanny Avery."






The first church organized in town was a Congregational church. Deacon Nathan Benton and Philemon Ashley were among its early and prominent members. The school-house, and afterward the town house at the village, were used as places of worship. Public worship was maintained until about 1840, when the membership being quite small, the church was merged in the Congregational church at S. Duxbury, the services at first being held at Moretown and Duxbury alternately, but afterward at S. Duxbury alone.

The Congregational Church at S. Dux­bury was founded at an early period. Among its first members were Reuben Munson, Hezekiah Ward, and Earl Ward, his son. Messrs. Seeley and Pomeroy were the earliest pastors. This church is the only church in Duxbury, the people of N. Duxbury being better accommodated at Waterbury. It has never had a large membership. Its relations with the M. E. church at Moretown are of the most cor­dial character, and for several years the pastor of the M. E. church at Moretown has been the acting pastor of the Congre­gational church at S. Duxbury.

Amasa Cole was probably the first Methodist preacher in Moretown. He was a local preacher living near Middlesex. Soon after, in 1809, Joshua Luce, a local preacher from Pittsfield, Mass., settled in town. He, with his wife and daughter Roxana, were probably the first Metho­dists in town. By their efforts a Metho­dist church was soon organized, and More­town became a part of the old Barre Cir­cuit, Vermont District and New England Conference of the M. E. Church, a circuit embracing Barre, Montpelier, Middlesex, Moretown, Waitsfield and Warren.

In the town cleric's office there is a record of the certificate of the ordination of



            600                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


Amasa Cole as a deacon by Bishop Mc­Kendree, at Durham, Me., June 4, 1814, also of that of Leonard Foster, by Bishop Asbury, June 10, 1818. Zadoc Hubbard, Ebenezer Johnson, Calvin Clark, Barnabas Mayo and William Harris were among the leading members prior to 1820.

The first church edifice was built in 1832, at the Common. This was occupied for 22 years, until in 1854, the present church at the village was erected. The old church still stands, though unoccupied. Messrs. Frost, Newell, Steele, Peirce and Haskell were among the earliest itinerants on this circuit, while Bishop George, Wil­bur Fisk and Elijah Hedding (afterward Bishop) have officiated here.

Rev. Justin Spaulding was born in this town in 1802. He was for some years a missionary in South America, afterward a presiding elder in New Hampshire Con­ference. His health failing, he returned to his native town and resided here until his death.

Rev. Nathan R Spaulding was born in Moretown; entered the Methodist ministry from this town. He belonged successively to the New England and to the New Hampshire Conferences, in which he held a prominent position. A partial failure of health necessitated a retirement from the itinerancy in middle life. He located in his native town, and continued to preach occasionally as health and opportunity permitted until his death in 1863.

The topography of this town is such that the inhabitants of large portions of its territory can more conveniently attend church at Northfield, Montpelier, Middlesex and Waterbury than at Moretown vil­lage. The M. E. church is the only Prot­estant church in town. At some periods of its history its membership has been much larger than at present; but its con­dition and prospects are very hopeful.

Mrs. Smith says in her paper, "the first Methodist meeting was held in Mr. Slayton's barn." It is probable, says our re­cord, that we credit to Rev. Mr. Currier, that Mr. Cole was the first Methodist preacher in town. He resided near Middlesex, and was accustomed to walk from home to the Common, preach, and return without din­ner for the reason that "Jack did not eat his supper,"—none was offered him to eat. In the winter season this walk and work must have been very fatiguing, especially when he broke his own path through the snow, often knee deep.

When the people of Moretown heard the cannon's roar at Plattsburg, the towns­men met at the tavern kept by Joshua Luce, on the farm where Alvin Pierce now resides, to see who would volunteer to go to Plattsburg to repulse the British. This was in 1812. Both the local preach­ers were present and heartily encouraged the men.

Mr. Luce was a local preacher, but farm­ing was his main occupation. He preach­ed on the Common, in the dwelling house of Ebenezer Johnson, and in the school house.

Among the prominent members of the Methodist Church in 1820, and for some years subsequent, were Ebenezer Johnson —who was town clerk prior, for some years, to 1832, when Dr. Kingsley suc­ceeded him—Calvin Clark and Barnabas Mayo—whose names are among the sub­stantial and influential members of the Methodist family of that date.

William Harris and his excellent wife, known as "Aunt Ruth," were noted for their generosity, keeping what was called a Methodist tavern, and many a weary itinerant found shelter and food and rest in the home of "Aunt Ruth."

In 1832, the first Methodist meeting house in town was built on the Common, and for 22 years it was occupied in regular meetings. But in 1854, Moretown Hollow —now village proper—built the house now used for worship. For some years before the church building was erected at the Hollow, the Methodists worshipped in the town-house in the village or Hollow, and at the Common alternately. Soon after the church was built in the village the Common meetings were nearly abandoned, and meetings held at the new house only.

Three prominent men—who became ministers of the Gospel—had their origin



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        601


in this town. Rev. Justin Spaulding, son of Levi and Thankful Spaulding. [See paper before.] His widow and several children are now residing in Moretown and vicinity.

Rev. Newell Spaulding, brother of the last named, is now living, and resides in New York city.

Rev. Nathan B. Spaulding [see, also, page before.]

When the Barre circuit included the 6 towns, before named, and the meetings were sometimes held in Wm. Harris' barn, when the quarterly meetings were held here, as many as 80 teams have been counted around the barn from the other towns of the circuit, which centered around.

The Methodists of Moretown and the Congregationalists of South Duxbury have alternate meetings at present, and have but one pastor. They have a good congrega­tion and an excellent Sabbath School. If any one who may read this listened to a concert by the South Duxbury Sabbath School on the first Sabbath of October, 1876, they will doubtless bear testimony to the truthfulness of the above statement, in calling the school an excellent one.

For the present prosperity of the Metho­dist Church in Moretown, any one desiring can see the Annual Minutes of Conference, 1876. The parsonage buildings have been repaired and neatly fitted up this year.




1860, J. W. Bemis; 1862, J. Gill; 1863-4, P. N. Granger; 1865-6, L. C. Powers; 1867-8, W. P. Howard; 1869-70, D. Willis; 1871-2, J. S. Spinney; 1873, H. G. Day; 1874-5, D. Willis; 1876-7, C. S. Buswell; 1878-9, C. A. Smith; 1880-81, S. B. Currier.






whose life was marked with uniform con­sistency and faithfulness, was born in Rochester, this State, August, 1828. He made a Christian profession at the age of 13, and commenced his labors as a Metho­dist preacher when about 30. His fields were first as a local preacher on Bethel Lympus charge two years; after as Con­ference preacher there 2 years; next at Topsham 2 years, and then at Moretown in 1864, '66. The first was a dry year, but he labored on earnestly, especially in the Sunday school, and in his second year just as he was prostrated by disease, he was cheered by 12 or 15 persons at North Fayston, embraced in his charge, profess­ing conversion and wishing to receive bap­tism from his hands; but his work was done, and he received his discharge on the eve of the holy Sabbath—Nov. 18, 1866. To an only brother who watched be his bedside while he was dying, he said: "I am realizing now how


'Jesus can make a dying bed

Feet soft as downy pillows are' ";


and passed without a struggle or groan to his rest.

He left a wife and 4 children. Revs. Gill and Spaulding attended his funeral. After his brethren in the ministry and others bore his body to the grave, the citi­zens assembled and passed resolutions of respect for his memory and sympathy for his family.—[For further mention see the place of his birth—Rochester, in next volume.]




Those of this faith are almost entirely Irish. The first settlers were Daniel Murray, John Hogan, Patrick Calvy, Pat­rick Farral and Daniel Divine. They purchased lands on what is called South hill. Most of them commenced with very limited means, but by industry have gen­erally prospered, and will now average with others of the town in wealth. There is one school district almost all Irish pupils.

There are now 90 who have grand lists, and probably 75 voters. Among the prominent men of the present are Andrew Murray, Daniel Hassett, Patrick Lynch, Thomas and Charles McCarty, and the three Kerin brothers. Moretown is now a central point for the Catholic population of South Duxbury, Fayston, Waitsfield and Warren. The first priest officiating here was Father Jeremiah O'Callaghan,



            602                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


who, if we are correctly informed, was the first Catholic priest in Vermont.

[The first resident Irish priest, but not the first Catholic priest in Vermont. There was a resident priest, undoubtedly, at the old French Mission of St. Catherine, in Wells, at the Isle La Motte Mission of St. Anne (see vol. II. page 558), and the French Mission in Swanton, some interest­ing account of which will be given in the history of the late Rev. John B. Perry, of Swanton, to be embraced in this work—of any of which missions we would be par­ticularly pleased to receive any informa­tion that any person may be able to com­municate, however trifling apparently. Every little link helps in putting together the broken chain that binds us to the early days. Our histories are very ob­scure so far back; the least little incident is the little track to the explorer that leads to the clue. There have been also mis­sionary priests earlier than Father O'Calla­ghan, as Rev. James Fulton, the venerable pastor now of the Church of the Holy Redeemer, East Boston, who was an early missionary in Vermont. See his "Early History of the Catholic Church in New England."—ED.]

"He resided in Burlington, officiating there and in this town, and probably in other places. Father O'Callaghan was also an author, and wrote five volumes on different subjects. The second priest of­ficiating here was Father Drolet, the third, Father Druon, the fourth, Father Duglue, the fifth, Father Galligan, who resides at Waterbury, officiating there, in this town, and in Northfield.

The land for building a church on, and also for a burial ground, was given to the Catholic society by Col. Miller of Mont­pelier, in 1841. In 1858, the society built their present church building on South hill, which is a little more than a mile from the village, nearly east. They contemplate building a new church edifice in the village, at no very distant future.—News­paper Record, 1879.

The Rev. Fathers O'Callaghan, Daly, Drolet, Maloney and Coopman, O. M. J., visited occasionally this mission, before Rev. Z. Druon built the Church (St. Patrick's) in 1860. The lot upon which the church stands had been given many years before by three members, to be used partly as a burying ground. The number of Catholic families in this mission is about 40; mostly farmers. They are attended now by Rev. Thomas Galligan, from Waterbury, and were previously, after the departure of Father Druon, attended from Montpelier by his successor there, Rev. Joseph Duglue, who had the pastoral care of them for a few years.

                                                                           REV. Z. DRUON.

                                                            Aug. 21, 1876."

"The document sent you by Father Druon is, I think, quite correct. The lot on which the church stands was donated in 1855 by Frank Lee, Peter Lee, and J. Miller. I copy from the deed itself.

                                                                           LOUIS BP. OF BULINGTON.

            Jan. 2, 1882."




Among the men of note who were born or have lived in Moretown, in the early part of their lives, is Rev. ELAND FOSTER, a preacher and author. He has held many good appointments in and around New York city. Mr. Foster married the daugh­ter of Dr. Palmer, of New York. He with his wife are great revival workers. [What has Rev. Mr. Foster published? titles of his works asked for, not yet received—ED.]

Rev. WILLIAM HIGH may also be named as one who was brought up, if not born, in our town, and who is well known as quite a noted pulpit orator.

Also, Rev. E. C. BASS, now of New Hampshire Conference, is a native of Moretown, and graduate of the Vermont University.




Persons deceased in town 70 years of age and over.—Philemon Ashley 80, Roger G. Bulkley 86, Lyman Child 81, Reuben Perkins 72, John Pattrill 82, Lyman Cobb 72, Ephraim Cobb 81, Israel Noble 84, Elisha Goodspeed 88, Levi Spalding 81, Constant Freeman 77, Jesse Thornton 71, Cephas Carpenter 88, Nathan Benton 70, Nathan



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        603


Benton Jr. 79, Stephen Pierce 88, Charles Howe 91, Abram Spofford 82, Elijah Win­ship 73, Rowland Taylor 77, Ichabod Thomas 79, Morty Kerin 82, Timothy Hutchins 76, Abner Child 87, Reuben Hawks 75, James Smith 73, James Smal­ley 84, Levi Munson 72, Richard Welch 71, John Poor 79, Horace Heaton 81, Zela Keyes 76, Martin Mason 70, Daniel Woodbury 91, Daniel Murray 70, Samuel Carl­ton 83, Earl Ward 70, David Stockwell 75, Philetus Robinson 76, Micah B. Tap­lin 78, Ward Page 74, Francis Hope 82, Robert Prentiss 83, Matthias Cannon 82, John Snyder 85, Daniel Hassett 72, John Flanagan 76, Wm. Prentiss 83, Eber C. Child 76, Lester Kingsley 76, Samuel Pierce 82, William Prentiss Sr. 80, Ezra Harris over 70, Isaac Foster, Caleb Hobbs, Ebenezer Johnson, Ebenezer Mayo, Hart­well Robinson, Harvey Stowell, Samuel Kingsbury, Alfred Cram, Emory Taylor, Paul Knapp 87, Ebenezer Haseltine 79, Elisha Atherton 79, Henry Colby 84, Richard Colby 89, David Belding, John Goss 73, Aladuren Stowell 80, Sylvia Ash­ley 76, Sally Bulkley 80, Eunice Noble 71, Lydia Foster 84, Martha Davis 85, Thank­ful Spalding 80, Sibyl Clapp 80, Phœbe Thornton 80, Lucinda Curtis 89, Anna Carpenter 71, Esther Benton 77, Elizabeth Pierce 73, Martha Howe 96, Rebecca Pierce 73, Jane G. Seaver 81, Sarah Free­man 70, Nancy Smith 74, Mary Allen 77, Elizabeth Hall 75, Betsey Vose 86, Polly P. Wells 81, Louisa A. Martin 71, Abigail Haseltine 79, Emily Allen 70, Prudence Freeman 90, Phila Goss 72, Dolly F. Child 88, Sally Stiles 73, Susan Hope 78, Har­riet McNaulty 74, Rhoda Willey 80, Lydia Robinson 86, Eliza M. Poor 73, Mary Nash 78, Isabel C. Jackson 71, Priscilla Knapp 93, Polly Howes 77, Phœbe Rice 89, Sarah D. Walton 74, Betsey Clark 88, Ruth Slayton 81, Lucinda Stowell 75, Anna Barton 86, Mariam Leland 92, Par­nel Boutwell 71, Shuah Keyes 88, Florenda F. Belding 87, Sally Corss, Eunice Snyder 85, Lucinda Prentiss 75, Lizzie Prentiss 72, Mrs. Amos Palmer over 70, Esther (Luce) Ridley 86, Lucy Silsby over 70, Mrs. Eben'r Mayo, Dolly Child, Mrs. Ephraim Clark, Rachel Kingsbury, Anna Munson 86, Clarissa Heaton 96, Mrs. Al­fred Crane 70, Juda Haseltine 96, Mrs. John Foster over 70, Mrs. David Stockwell over 70, Susan Foster 74, Hannah Flan­ders 90, Huldah Colby 70, Lucretia Free­man 73, Lydia Goss 73, Betsey Hutchin­son, Mrs. Aladuren Stowell 75.


Old people of Moretown now living over 70.—Joel D. Rice 75, Lewis Bagley 78, Uriah Howe 72, Calvin Foster 78, John Towle 80, Wm. B. Foster 80, Osgood Evans 78, Hiram Hathaway 70, Smith Freeman 72, Ezra Hutchinson 81, William Deavitt over 70, Rolland Knapp over 70, Mary B. Evans 73, Abigail Child 81, Mary A. Spalding 86, Polly Prentiss 82, Cornelia W. Goss 75, Lucinda Tubbs 79, Rahamah T. Bulkley 72, Sarah Seaver 70, Mary Somerville over 70, Mrs. Joel Rice 75, Nancy Carlton 80, Priscilla Knapp 81.

Wales Bass, son of Alpheus Bass, of Moretown, was killed instantly, Dec. 1863, being thrown from a load of wood; the horses had taken fright.




Longevity.—Charlotte Smith died in town, aged 93; and the following died during the past year, 1881:

Dr. Luther Kingsley, aged 76 years, who lived in town nearly 60 years, had been town clerk nearly 50 years.

Wm. Prentiss, aged 83, had always lived in town.

Samuel Pierce, aged 82, had lived in town 58 years.

Mrs. Florinda Belden, aged 87, and Mrs. Lydia B. Foster, 80.

Simon Stevens had his distillery on the premises where D. F. Freeman now lives. He was a very resolute business man, and died by taking a severe cold from over­work.





which held a pleasant re-union in this town, at the old homestead, Sept. 1879; there being present Mr. Evans, the father, 76 years of age; Mrs. Evans, 72; J. D. Evans and family, of the firm of Batch­elder, Evans & Co., Boston, produce dealers—wife and 2 children; E. A. Shattuck,



            604                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


Central R. R. engineer, and family; M. O. and G. B. Evans and families, and Geo. C., who lives with his father; and grand­children present, 27.




was born in Moretown, Dec. 22, 1824, and died at Washington, D. C., Feb. 24, 1881, while serving as United States Senator from the State of Wisconsin. His parents named him Decatur Merritt Harmon Car­penter; how and why his name was changed will appear further on.

His grandfather, Col. Cephas Carpenter, was long a resident of Moretown—a man of strong intellect and marked character­istics. For years he was a justice of the peace, and as such presided in the trial of cases almost without number. When a trial was had before another justice, he was usually found acting as counsel for one of the parties, in which capacity he was quite the equal of most of the practicing attorneys of his day. It has been truly said of him that "he was a lawyer, though not a member of any bar."

His father was Ira Carpenter, who was born in Moretown, and resided there until well advanced in life, when he removed to Warren. He was a particularly fine-looking man, easy in manner, social in his habits, and a favorite among his acquaintances. For more than twenty years he held the office of deputy sheriff, and was frequently constable of the town. In discharging the duties of these offices he was thrown much into the company of Hon. Paul Dillingham, a lawyer residing in Waterbury, but having a large practice in the Mad River Valley. Such close business relations soon made them fast friends, and Mr. Carpenter's house became Mr. Dillingham's habitual stopping-place when at Moretown. During these visits "Merritt," as the boy was then called, attracted the attention of the genial attorney from Waterbury, who frequently bantered him about coming to live with him, promising to make a lawyer of him. On the occasion of a certain trip to Moretown, while passing over the height of land midway between the latter village and Waterbury, Mr. Dillingham was surprised to meet young Carpenter, then a lad of 14, trudging along on foot with all his worldly effects in a small bundle. When asked where he was going, the boy replied, "To Waterbury, to live with you and be a lawyer." 'Squire Dillingham, as he was then popularly called, finding his former proposals thus unexpectedly accepted, di­rected the lad to go ahead, report to Mrs. Dillingham, and await his return at night. Mrs. Dillingham was greatly pleased with her youthful visitor, who made such good use of his undeveloped arts as an advocate that when Mr. Dillingham returned, he found an entente cordiale had already been established between his wife and the boy. And this is how young Carpenter became a protege, though never a formally adopted son of Hon. Paul Dillingham, whose house thereafter was the only home he had until he entered upon the practice of his pro­fession, and had made one for himself in the West.

In 1843, through the influence of Mr. Dillingham, he was appointed a cadet in the Military School at West Point, in which institution he pursued his studies for 2 years. Having no taste for military life, but desiring above all things else to be a lawyer, he at the end of that time ten­dered his resignation. This was accepted, and he immediatety returned to Water­bury, and entered Mr. Dillingham's office as a student. In Nov. 1847, he was ad­mitted to the Washington County Bar; but conscientiously refused to practice with­out further preparation. He went to Boston, where he was generously taken into the office of Rufus Choate. He soon won, not only the good opinion of that great man, but his admiration and unbounded confi­dence. Mr. Choate assisted him in select­ing a library suitable to his needs, and ad­vanced the money to pay for the same. Equipped with this, he removed to Beloit, Wis., in the year 1848.

At this time he was tall and handsome of figure, with a noble head and winning blue eyes, with a voice of sympathetic quality, and with a manner of mingled frankness and almost boyish roguishness. His prospect was full of promise, when, after a few months' residence in Beloit, he



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        605


was suddenly and unaccountably afflicted with a disease of the eyes, which resulted for several months in total blindness. For 18 months he was under treatment in New York, poor, almost hopeless of cure, and with no other than his constant friends, Mr. Dillingham and Rufus Choate. Nearly 3 years were thus lost—so far as professional advancement was concerned—before he was able to return and resume the practice of his profession in Beloit. Poor as he then was, he managed to collect what was then the best law library in the county, and from the first developed that thoroughness of "working out" cases which ever since characterized him. Then, as since, he was very fond of literary studies. The poets he had almost by heart, and his studies of the historical, philosophical and political classics of England and America were un­ceasing. Politically, he was a democrat of the most decided cast. Going to Beloit just as the "free-soil" movement was carry­ing all before it, he had to breast the al­most unanimous political sentiment of a county and town invincibly whig before, then "free-soil," and since republican. Still, he assailed his opponents in their stronghold with so much fearlessness, wit, logic, constitutional learning and unfailing bonhommie, that only his few enemies were vexed at his personal popularity.

Still democratic on his return to Beloit, he became known more widely by occa­sional speeches in various parts of the state, while his professional success grew with steadiness. So strong had be become in a few years in his own county, that in 1852 he received the legal majority of votes cast for district attorney, although  his party was beaten by over 1500 votes. His opponent received the certificate, owing to the diversity in the use of the numerous initials of his name on the ballots cast by his supporters, but Mr. Carpenter appealed to the court, and vindicated both his right and legal ability before the su­preme tribunal of the state with equal success. It was in consequence of this experience that he obtained legislative sanction to the name, Matthew Hale Carpenter, by which he had become to be called by his admirers in a spirit of pleas­ant recognition of his splendid legal abil­ities.

From this time until 1869, he never held an office, nor was he a candidate for one. He devoted himself to the study and prac­tice of the law with an enthusiasm which knew no bounds, and had a large and lucrative practice.

In 1856, he was the leading counsel for the respondent in the remarkable proceedings by quo warranto, to try the title to the office of governor of Wisconsin between the relator Bashford and the incumbent Barstow.

In 1859, he removed to Milwaukee, and formed, by invitation, a law partnership with Hon. E. G. Ryan, then the acknowl­edged leader of the Wisconsin Bar, and afterwards Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of that state.

Two such natural leaders of men could not long remain partners, and this partner­ship was soon dissolved. Mr. Carpenter opened an office for himself, and was constantly crowded with business. From 1860 to 1867 his time was almost constantly occupied with litigation connected with the railroads of the state, and which was finally carried to the supreme court of the United States, where upon his first appearance he won the rare honor of a highly compli­mentary notice from that grave tribunal.

"Meanwhile, the outbreak of armed re­bellion gave Carpenter the opportunity to lead in politics as in law. Having been a devoted Douglas Democrat, a believer in the constitution, and a stalwart defender of the Union, he burst the bonds of party allegiance, as soon as the democratic party South openly carried out its plans. No voice in Wisconsin, at the outset of the war, was so clear, electric and thrilling as his, when the First Wisconsin regiment was sent to the front. His speech was a trumpet blast that was worth an army corps to the cause that inspired him with the courage of an apostle and the prescience of a prophet. It came from his heart and went to the hearts of the people. It an­ticipated the necessity of emancipation and filled the souls of old anti-slavery leaders



            606                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


with apprehensions of its untimeliness. In all the subsequent phases of the war he was constantly in the lead, but never had to go beyond the doctrines and sentiments of the speech that made him the foremost republican leader, in the heats of the people."

During the dark days of 1863 and 1864, Mr. Carpenter supported the government by public speeches and printed arguments, in which he took the most advanced posi­tion as to the war powers of the govern­ment outside the constitution when the life of the nation was in peril. His power­ful arguments, maintaining the measures of the government, attracted universal attention. So great, indeed, had his reputation become as a constitutional lawyer, that in 1867, when the famous McArdle case was coming on for argument before the Supreme Court of the United States, Secretary Stanton engaged Mr. Carpenter to make the principal argument for the government. His argument in that case, it may be safely said, will rank with the greatest efforts ever made before that or any other judicial tribunal. After the completion of his brief, he submitted it to Secretary Stanton, who cordially approved it, but added that William M. Meredith, of Philadelphia, was the king of American lawyers, and that before the ar­gument was made he desired to have his judgment as to its soundness. Provided with a note of introduction from the Secretary and a $1000 retainer, Mr. Carpenter went to Philadelphia, and submitted his argument to Mr. Meredith. A whole day was spent at the latter's residence in a very thorough examination of it. At the conclusion Mr. Meredith wrote Secretary Stanton in these words: "I have carefully examined the argument of Mr. Carpenter in the matter of McArdle. To it I cannot add a word; from it I would not subtract one."

This case, though fully argued, was never decided, the court holding that it had no jurisdiction; but the National Leg­islature endorsed the soundness of Mr. Carpenter's views by subsequently enact­ing laws for the reconstruction of the Southern States, which were founded upon the principles maintained by him in this argument.

In 1869, he was elected United States Senator by the republicans of Wisconsin. During his service he bore a conspicuous part in the debates, and increased his rep­utation as an orator and constitutional lawyer. In March 1873, he was elected President pro tempore of the Senate, which position he held until the expiration of his term in 1875. At this time he was the choice of the republicans of his state as his own successor, but the democrats were then engaged in defeating regular nomina­tions through a coalition with disappointed republicans. By a combination of this kind, largely composed of democrats, Mr. Carpenter was defeated.

During the next 4 years he remained in Washington, constantly employed in im­portant causes. Among these was the impeachment trial of Secretary Belknap, in which he appeared for the defendant. He also appeared for Mr. Tilden before the electoral commission, and displayed rare knowledge of state and national laws.

In 1879, he was again elected a senator from the State of Wisconsin to succeed Timothy O. Howe, which office he held at the time of his death.

During all the time he was in the Senate he continued the practice of the law, mostly in the Supreme Court of the United States. His cases embraced almost every question that could be raised under the Reconstruc­tion Acts of Congress, the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments to the Constitution, as well as the numerous questions constantly growing out of great business transactions. Upon his ability and acquirements as a lawyer and an advocate his reputation will rest.

His devotion to the law led him to look for the principle underlying every measure requiring his action, and unless such measure seemed to be founded upon sound principles, it failed of his support. Hence he often differed in opinion with his po­litical associates who had gained reputa­tions as statesmen. Upon one of these occasions, being taunted with the fact, he



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        607


exclaimed, "I am a lawyer, not a states­man."

To be a good lawyer was his ambition and pride, and in the midst of his political career, when opposition newspapers were pouring abuse upon him without stint or mercy, he found consolation in the fact that none of them had charged him "with being a poor lawyer."

Ex-Attorney-General Jesse Black, who had much professional intercourse with Mr. Carpenter, said of him after his death:

"The American bar has not often suf­fered so great a misfortune as the death of Mr. Carpenter. He was cut off when he was rising as rapidly as at any previous period. In the noontide of his labors the night came, wherein no man can work. To what height his career might have reached if he had lived and kept his health another score of years, can now be only a speculative question. But when we think of his great wisdom and his wonderful skill in the forensic use of it, together with his other qualities of mind and heart, we can­not doubt that in his left hand would have been uncounted riches and abundant honor if only length of days had been given to his right. As it was, he distanced his co­temporaries, and became the peer of the greatest among those who had started long before him. The intellectual character of no professional man is harder to analyze than his. He was gifted with an eloquence sui generis. It consisted of free and fear­less thought, borne upon expression power­ful and perfect. It was not fine rhetoric, for he seldom resorted to poetic illustra­tion; nor did he make a parade of clinch­ing his facts. He often warmed with feel­ing, but no bursts of passion deformed the symmetry of his argument. The flow of his speech was steady and strong—as the current of a great river. Every sentence was perfect; every word was fitly spoken; each apple of gold was set in its picture of silver. This singular faculty of saying everything just as it ought to be said, was not displayed only in the Senate and in the courts; everywhere, in public and private, on his legs, in his chair, and even lying on his bed, he always 'talked like a book.' "

In personal appearance, Mr. Carpenter was striking and distinguished. He was above the average stature, broad shoulder­ed and well proportioned. His head was large, well set and finely formed. His hair grew in profusion, and formed a fine setting for a countenance which was al­ways strong and winning, but which was in­expressibly sad or characteristically bright and cheery—just as the mood happened to be in which one found him.

In temperament, he was buoyant, en­thusiastic, energetic and kind. His buoy­ancy never left him, his sparkle (and it was his alone), never ceased, his energy never diminished, his industry never wea­ried, and his generosity and kindness, al­ways large, only grew larger and more comprehensive as life went on.

His services as a speaker were sought on all occasions where public joy or public sorrow sought expression. The following extract from one of his addresses will give an idea of his style:

"The loves and friendships of individ­uals partake of the frail character of human life; are brief and uncertain. The experi­ences of human life may be shortly summed up a little loving and a great deal of sor­rowing; some bright hopes and many bitter disappointments; some gorgeous Thursdays, when the skies are bright and the heavens blue, when Providence, bend­ing over us in blessings, glads the heart almost to madness; many dismal Fridays, when the smoke of torment beclouds the mind, and undying sorrows gnaw upon the heart; some high ambitions and many Waterloo defeats, until the heart becomes like a charnel-house, filled with dead af­fections, embalmed in holy but sorrowful memories; and then the cord is loosened, the golden bowl is broken, the individual life—a cloud, a vapor—passeth away."

Mr. Carpenter was a profound believer in the inspiration of the Scriptures—of which he was a close and appreciative student—and of the divinity of Christ. One of his reasons for this belief may be found in the following extract from a letter written by him to Prof. David Swing:

"Whoever will read Cicero's Twilight



            608                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


Speculations about Duty and the Future Life, remembering that perhaps he was the fullest man of an antiquity, the ripest scholar and student of the highest period of Roman civilization, and remembering that from the birth of Cæsar to the birth of Christ the only change that came to civilization was a decline, and that Jesus belonged to an out-of-the-way people—a people apart from the high tides of human greatness—and then will read the Sermon on the Mount, I cannot comprehend how he can escape the conclusion that the dif­ference is not one of degree, but of kind. That Jesus, surrounded as he was, could have promulgated a system of morals em­bodying all that is most valuable in the prior life of the world, and to which nine­teen centuries of civilization have been unable to add a thought or impart an orna­ment, is a fact not to be explained by any ridicule."

At the time of his death, his law library alone had cost him more than $40,000, and his library of miscellaneous works numbered about 10,000 vols.

He was married to Caroline, daughter of Hon. Paul Dillingham, of Waterbury, Nov. 27, 1855. Four children were born to them, of whom two—daughters—died in infancy. Of the two now living, Lillian Carpenter, now a young lady, is the eldest; the other, Paul Dillingham Carpenter, is a lad of 14 years. Mrs. Carpenter, with her son and daughter, now reside in the city of Milwaukee.


[The above are facts furnished by the Dillingham family of Waterbury, with journal notices.]




aged over 94 years, is the oldest person we have any record of now living in More­town. She was born in New Bedford, Mass. Her parents were Abraham and Mary (White) Howland. Her mother lived to nearly 82 years. Mrs. Holt was the wife of Amos Holt, who died in Moretown some 38 years since, and the mother of 10 children, 9 of whom lived to settle in life as heads of families; 7 now living; 3 over 70: Amos Holt, of Berkshire, age 77, Sept. last; Hopy, aged 74, June '81— Mrs. Hopy Holt Hartwell, now of Mont­pelier, widow 17 years of William Hart­well, who died aged 59, in Berlin; and Mrs. Mary Goodspeed, who lives in North­ern New York, aged 72.

Mrs. Hopy Holt, in her life of almost a century, has lived in Montpelier, Calais and Moretown, and perhaps in one or two other towns in this county.

She remembers when Montpelier river was of the size of a large brook. She says when young she was spry, and could jump as far as any one; that with a long pole she could have reached into the mid­dle of the stream, and jumped over. Now at 95, she can drop down on her feet upon the hearth, at the fire-place, light her pipe sitting on her feet, and spring up lightly again without touching a hand down; a feat not half of the women of 40 can ac­complish. She states her little house where she lived in Montpelier, stood upon ground covered now by the mill-pond near the Arch-bridge, near the centre of the present pond. That there were but two framed houses in Montpelier village when she removed to Calais. Her present home is with her son, G. H. Holt of Moretown. We saw the mother of 94 and daughter of 74, together the past summer. It seemed quite a sight, a mother with a daughter of 74 years by her side; and the mother in appearance bid fair to outlive the daughter.

Since the above was in type we have learned that Mrs. Hopy Holt died Dec. 12, 1881, aged 94 years, 3 mos. 24 days.






The weight of years is on thy brow,

     And age has dimmed thine eye,

Thy step falls not as lightly now,

     As in the years gone by;

Yet is thy brow serene and calm,

     Thine eye uplifted still;

Thy trust in God's protecting arm

     Old age can never chill.


I look far back through years on years,

     Before thy locks were gray,

And see the smile that soothed my fears,

     And cheered my infant play.

Those mild blue eyes—they kindly beam

     On all around thee yet

So like my mother's own they seem,

     I never can forget.



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        609


The music of thy deep-toned voice,

   Attuned in sacred song,

Oft made my raptured heart rejoice,

   When days were bright and long;

And now, when short and sadder all

   The fleeting days have grown,

Kind memory loveth to recall

   Each spirit-thrilling tone.


I know that Time's relentless hand

   Is laid upon thy head;

Thee guiding to the shadowy land,

   With still, unfaltering tread,

Yet hath he gently dealt with thee,

   Since thou, through smiles and tears,

With retrospective glance canst see

   The graves of eighty years.


I know the tide that bears thee on

   Hath no returning wave,

Yet down its current One hath gone

   Far mightier than the grave,

And He, who conquered every foe

   On Adam's race that waits,

Will guide thee, when the waves o'erflow,

   Within the Eternal gates.


Abner Child of Moretown, to whom the above lines were written, died in 1854, aged 87.






Aye! Others may wander 'neath far distant skies,

     For the beauties of scenery not granted us here,

And when suns o'er a classical land shall arise,

     May forget all the beauties that blossom more near;

But the glories of Nature, whatever they are,

     Can never be elsewhere more dear than my own,

And no magical eye-glass can render more fair

     A bright distant scene, than a bright one at home.


There's a rapture of feeling that swells to the soul,

     When we gaze on a land that is hallowed in song;

But a deeper soul-worship, beyond our control,

     When the glories we love, to our own land belong.

Then when weary of bright skies and Alpine delights,

     The grandeur of home on thy memory crowds,

Come back and ascend to Mansfield's proud heights,

     To bathe the tired limbs in the "Lake of the Clouds.''


There are broader expanses of water and wave,

     Where gems at the bottom in sunshine He sparkling,

But we can imagine as much in the wave

     Where the shades of the wood and the steep rock lie darkling;

And never did light glimmer down from the moon,

     And o'er a dark wave more enchantingly play,

Than there, where baptized in the depths of the flood,

     The bright stars lie watching the sleep of the day.


Oh, Lake of the Clouds! oft my bright fancy takes me

     On fairy-like wings to thy home in the air,

And cooling my lips in the waves of thy fountain,

     I fancy a charm talismanic lies there;

That never shall mortal that's tasted thy waters,

     Or had them wept o'er him in dews from the skies,

Fail to honor his country with love patriotic,

     And leave a warm prayer for her weal when he dies.


But whenever a son of the ever-green Mountains

     Shall feel Freedom's fire less ardently burn,

Thy waves will all spring to the clouds to rain o'er him,

     And the Genius of Country replenish the urn.

Then though there's no bright spell of History cast o'er

     To kindle the mind and wake intellect's joys,

A classical charm shall be thine yet in story,

     For thy waves have been parted by Green Mountain thee boys.


A body of water on Mansfield Mountain, familiarly known to sportsmen as the "Lake of the Clouds."






Co. G. 6th Reg. Vt. Vols. from Oct. 15, 1861, to Jan. 1, 1864.


Bixby, Russell, enlisted from Bradford.

Boyce, George C., from Fayston, lost in the battle of the Wilderness.

Bowen, Warren, from Topsham.

Brock, E. A., residence not put down.

Corliss, C. B., from Duxbury.

Craig, Daniel R., Orange.

Clemons, Charles, Orange.

Caruth, Albert W., Topsham.

Craig, Albert E., Orange.

Chase, John J., Fayston.

Church, Geo. K., Washington.

Demass, Oliver P., Fayston.

Eastman, Geo. E., W. Topsham.

Emerson, James K., Wolcott.

Fenton, Bartholomew, Moretown.

Goodspeed, Elisha, Warren.

Gilson, Eli, South Fayston.

Gove, Ira S., veteran, Lincoln; killed at Cold Harbor, Va., June 8, '64.

Greene, Edson, Orange.

Gillett, Abel W., Duxbury; served his time in invalid corps.

Heath, Horace L., West Topsham; pro­moted by commission in negro reg.

Howe, C. C., Thetford.

Hunter, John H., veteran, wounded at Funkstown, Md., July 10, '63; also wounded in the Wilderness, Va., May 4, '64; had his right arm amputated May 5, '64. Hunter was one of the best of soldiers; would have marched right into a cannon's mouth if it had been necessary; he knew no fear of death when in action.

Johnson, Benjamin B., wounded at Spott­sylvania, May 11, '64.

Johnson, William H.

Kenney, Geo. W., wounded at Banks' Ford, May 4, '63; not down where from.

Lyford, Henry, veteran, Hardwick; wd. at Savage Station, Va.. June 30, '63.



            610                         VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


Lewis, Edwin C., veteran, Northfield; commissioned in negro regiment, and sent to the south-western department.

Marble, Calvin B., Fayston.

Marble, Geo. L., veteran, Fayston; killed at Cedar Creek, Oct 19, '64.

McLam, Robert, West Topsham.

McCandlish, Benjamin, Burlington.

Mills, Charles, Warren.

Watson, Ezra G., not stated where from.

Meader, Wm., wd. at Franklin Crossing, Va., June 7, '63.

Moore, Joseph Jr., Bradford; wounded at Mary's Heights, May 3, '63.

Moore, Carlos B., Bradford.

Paul, Joseph, Topsham; promoted to ad­jutant clerk.

Persons, Fred D., Warren; promoted to orderly serg't. Oct. 1864.

Porter, Warren C., Fayston; taken pris. at Banks' Ford, May 4, '63.

Ricker, Benjamin, Washington; taken prisoner at Banks' Ford, May 4, '63.

Richardson, Reuben, Fayston, veteran, having served in the 9 months' men.

Shonnio, Arnold, Duxbury; wounded at Mary's Heights, May 3, '63; leg ampu­tated May 5.

Smith, Emery L., Northfield; taken pris. at Savage Station, Va., June 30, '62; also wounded at the battle of the Wil­derness, Va., May 6, '64; Smith was a good soldier.

Stoddard, Lyman, veteran; wounded at Mary's Heights, May 3, '63.

Strong, Wm. H., Fayston.

Shontell, Lewis, Middlesex.

Stratton, Charles E., Orange.

Tillotson, Leander, Topsham.

Tucker, Julius E., veteran, Rochester; taken prisoner at Bull Run and probably killed by one of Mosby's guerillas.

Taylor, John W., not credited where from.

Veo, Joseph, Northfield; wounded at Fred­ericksburg, Dec. 12, '62, and Mary's Heights, May 4, '63.

Usher, Nathan D., veteran, Goshen Gore.

Wright, H. R., town not given.

Whipple, John, town not given.

Whittlesey, James E., Moretown, nicknamed Horace Greeley; transferred to invalid corps.


Boyden, Dexter, Duxbury; transferred to invalid corps; wounded at Banks' Ford.

Bates, Lewis, Fayston; transferred to invalid corps.

Boyce, Nelson, Fayston; transferred to invalid corps.

Burnham, Martin; transferred to the U. S. Army, from Williamstown.

Collins, Daniel, Moretown; transferred to invalid corps.

Rock, Joseph, Northfield; transferred to invalid corps.

McDonald, Michael, not stating where from; transferred to invalid corps.

Shonnio, Geo., Duxbury; transferred to invalid corps; killed in action.

Buzzell, Ezekiel, Moretown; killed at Savage Station, June 30, '62.

Craig, Wm., Orange; killed at Funkstown, July 10, '63.

Murray, James R., Moretown; killed at Savage Station, June 30, '61.

Shedrick, Geo., Lincoln; killed at Savage Station, June 30, '62, beloved by all the Company.

Hathaway, Wm. H., died Sept. 12, '63; Co. B. 13th.

Foster, Wilber, Co. D, 2d Vt. Vols; died Feb. 21, '63.

Foster, Leonard R., Co. B, 10th Vt. Vols.; killed at Cedar Creek, Oct 19, '64.


Engagements the Company were in.— Lee's Mills, Va., Apr. 16, '62; Williams­burg, Va., May 5, '62; Golden's Town, Va., June 27; Savage Station, Va., June 27; White Oak Swamp, Va., June 30; South Mountain, Md., Sept. 14; Antietam, Md., Sept. 17; Fredericksburg, Va., Dec. 11 to 15; Mary's Heights, May 3, '63; Banks' Ford, May 4, '63; Fredericksburg, June 6, '63; Gettysburg, Pa., July 2d and 3d, '63; Funkstown, Md., July 10, '63; Rappahannock Station, Va., Nov. 7, '63; Locust Grove, Nov. 27, '63.


Discharged for Wounds.— George A. Jones, wounded at White Oak Swamp, July 1, '62; James Keer, wounded at An­tietam; Andrew J. Slayton, not stated what discharged for; Chas. E. Spaulding, Chester P. Streeter, George Somerville, James Sweeney, Albert Williams.



                                                              MORETOWN.                                                        611


Deserters.—Jewell S. Eddy, George C Welton, William Mills, James Wemes.


2d Brigade, 2d Division 6th Army Corps, Co. G. Officers.

Captain, Edward R. Kinney; promoted from 1st lieut., Co. I, June 30, '63.

1st Lieutenant, Charles C. Backus; promoted serg't. to 2d lieut., and to 1st lieut., Nov. 1, '62.

Captain, W. H. H. Hall; resigned Apr. 30, '62.

Captain, L. M. Tubbs; promoted from lieut., Co. B, June 14, '62; resigned June 20, '63.

1st Lieutenant, Alfred M. Nevens; died May 2, '62, of wounds received at Lee's Mills; buried in the cemetery at the village in Moretown.

1st Lieutenant, Benoni B. Fullam, pro­moted from serg't. major June 14, '62; dismissed Oct. 25, '62.

2d Lieutenant, Edwin C. Lewis; re­signed '62.

2d. Lieutenant, Edwin C. Joslyn; pro­moted from private, Co. D, Dec. 7, '62; pro. to 1st, Co. D, Feb. 3, '63.

2d Lieutenant, Fred D. Kimball; pro­moted from Co. D, Feb. 3, '63; wounded July 16, '63; discharged Oct. 22, '63.


Sergeants.—1st, George F. Wilson, vet­eran, from Northfield, killed at Gaines' Farm, June 1, '64; Henry C. Backus, Fayston; Wm. M. Cleaveland, Hancock, a very brave soldier, killed at the battle of the Wilderness, Va., May 6, '64; Ernest E. Burroughs, wounded July 10, '63, at Funkstown, Md., killed at Gaines' Farm, June 1, '64; James Harriman, wounded at battle of Wilderness, Va., May 6, '64; 1st, Oscar G. Kelsey, Warren, died July 10. '62, of wounds received at Gould's Farm; 1st, John F. Jones, Waitsfield, discharged Apr. 16, '63; Charles C. Backus, promoted to 2d lieut. June 12, '62.


Corporals.—Leman J. Holden, Hard­wick; John Lee, Jr., Middlesex; Hiram Goodspeed, Warren; Charles P. Divoll, Topsham, died June 1, '64, of wounds re­ceived at battle of the Wilderness, Va.; Frank A. Trask, Warren; Aaron Goss, Moretown, promoted from private Dec. 28, '63, by order of regimental officers; Bertram D. Campbell, Waitsfield, died of measles; Wm. H. Smith, Waitsfield, died of measles, Dec. '61; Merrill H. Pucklin, Warren, died of chronic diarrhœa; Oscar J. Moore, Lincoln.


Musicians.—John Devine, fifer, veteran, from Middlesex; Michael P. Eagan, drum­mer, Moretown; Caleb Heath, drummer, discharged; David C. Holt, fifer, dis­charged; Charles Franklin, Barre, team­ster; C. C. Armington, Duxbury, pioneer and general laborer.


Privates Discharged.—George A. Jones, Northfield, wounded at White Oak Swamp, Va., July 1, '62; James Keer, Hancock, wounded at Antietam, Sept. 17, '62.

The following not stated where from: Alonzo Lane, Andrew J. Slayton, Charles E. Spaulding, Chester P. Streeter, Geo. Somerville, James Sweeney, Albert Wil­liams.


Soldiers buried in Moretown.—Those be­longing to other organizations, who died and are buried in town: Osman G. Clark, died July 11, '64, of chronic diarrhœa; Co. B, 10th Vt. Vols.


Died of Diseases.—Wm. H. Allard, Mar. 15, '64; Newell Antoine, Sept. '62; W. H. H. Badger, Feb. 12, '63; Jonathan Boyden, June 20, '62; Edwin J. Chase, Feb. 4, '62; Edwin Canfield, Ang. '62; W. N. S. Claflin, died May 20, '63, of wounds received at Banks' Ford, May 4, '63; Morris L. Divoll, Dec. 28, '62; Dexter M. Davis, Jan. '62; Geo. Sawyer, Jr., Dec. 7, '62; Manley Hoyt, June, '62; Nathaniel Shattuck, April, '62; Oramel Turner, July 28, '62; Harry H. Wright, Feb. '65, all of typhoid fever.


Discharged for Disability.—Albert Ains­worth, Henry Balch, Emerson E. Davis, Michael Donovan, Goin Bailey Evans, Charles Freeman, Lewis Goodell, John H. Gilman, Horace Hall, Jarvis C. Harris, Hiram B. Howland, Allen Mahuran, Wm. Mills, Wm. F. Moore; Henry Newton, Angus G. Nicholson, Peter Pero, Harrison Persons, Edwin Phillips, promoted to assistant surgeon, 4th Vt. Vols.; Seth T. Porter. [The places of residence do not appear on the register.]