Vermont Historical Gazetteer
A Local History of
ALL THE TOWNS IN THE STATE,
Civil, Educational, Biographical, Religious and Military
THE TOWNS OF WINDHAM COUNTY,
With Histories of
Sutton in Caledonia County, and Bennington in
Vermont Historical Magazine, pp. 729-736
The Baptist Society at this place was formerly called "The Baptist Society of Marlboro and Newfane," and worshiped for many years in a meeting house standing on the farm now owned by A. & A. Williams, in the extreme northern part of the former town. The present site was selected on account of its more central location, and the church building now standing was erected in 1841. Upon the completion of the new house, a bell was presented to the society by Caleb Pond, then a wealthy merchant of Hartford, Conn., but formerly a member of this church. From him the village derives its name.
Here may be found a saw-mill, wool-carding mill and a grist-mill, one store and about twenty dwelling houses.
The mills were established about fifty years ago by David B. Lamson, and are now owned and occupied by W. E. Bingham & Sons.
L. A. Phillips & Co., commenced the mercantile business here in 1840, and has been followed by James Charter, Ira Pierce, Joshua Morse, Moses Merrifield, Lawson B. Morse, D. J. Lamson, Edward Adams, William H. Goodnow, Thomas A. Morse and Benjamin E. Morse.
A post office was established at this place Apr. 10, 1884, and Mary A. Morse was appointed postmistress. Upon the death of Mrs. Morse, Feb. 7, 1888, Benjamin E. Morse was appointed. The office was discontinued April 1, 1888, but was re-established May 15, 1889, with Benjamin E. Morse as post-master.
BRATTLEBORO AND WHITEHALL RAILROAD.
After several unsuccessful efforts, Newfane finally voted to aid in the construction of the Brattleboro and Whitehall Railroad to the amount of $24,800, being about eight times its grand list, and issued bonds therefor. The road was opened for business Nov. 18, 1880. J. J. Green, who had been an active promoter of the enterprise, was appointed pointed station agent at Fayetteville. He was on the train which went down with West River bridge at Brattleboro, Aug. 18, 1886, and received fatal injuries.