Vermont Historical Gazetteer
A Local History of
ALL THE TOWNS IN THE STATE
Civil, Educational, Biographical, Religious and Military
THE TOWNS OF WINDHAM COUNTY,
WITH HISTORIES OF
SUTTON IN CALEDONIA COUNTY, AND BENNINGTON IN
ABBY MARIA HEMENWAY.
MRS. CARRIE E. H. PAGE,
Pages 519 – 527
By LYMAN E. KNAPP
The town of Stratton is situated upon the western border of Windham County, and, in the earliest subdivision of the State, was included within the area known as Bennington County. It was, originally, six miles square, containing 23,040 acres, but by the addition of Stratton Gore 1000 acres, in 1799, and a portion of the town of Somerset, about 2000 acres, on the south, in 1858, it now has 26,040 acres, an area considerably larger than most of the towns in the State. It lies upon the eastern slope of the Green Mountain range, extending nearly to the ridge, and some portions of the western line passing west of the highest points of the mountain.
Stratton is bounded north by Winhall, east by Jamaica and Wardsboro, south by Wilmington and Somerset, and West by Sunderland.
In 1851, a bill passed both Houses of the Legislature and was approved by the Governor, annexing a portion of Somerset to Stratton, to take effect if certain conditions were complied with, within a specified time. But those conditions were not complied with, and the boundaries remained as before. The subject was kept in agitation until 1858, when the desired changes were made.
The three principal branches of West River take their rise in the west part of this town, and flow eastward through it. The Deerfield River also has its source here, flowing southward.
The township has two beautiful ponds, referred to in “Geology of Vermont" as "Jones Pond " and " "Holman's Pond," but better known by the residents, as "Stratton Pond" and "North Pond." The former is situated in the south-west part of the town. It is about one and one-third miles in length and nearly three-fourths of a mile wide. The “North Pond " is situated in the northwest corner of the town, and is one mile long and a little more than half a mile wide. This is the source of West River, whose waters unite with the Connecticut, a little north of Brattleboro.
Stratton Mountain is another prominent feature of the scenery. It is about 3,335 feet above the level of the ocean. This mountain is covered with evergreens, mostly spruce, to the very summit.
The rock formation of this town is almost entirely metamorphic, and mostly of that peculiar form of gneiss usually denominated the Green mountain gneiss, which is almost entirely wanting in feldspar. The strike is N. 30 ° E. and the inclination about 45 ° east. There is an elegant variety of saccharoid azoic lime-stone, or, dolomite, on the farm of Rufus Lyman, Esq., in that part of the town formerly belonging to Somerset. There are two beds near each other, the widest of which is about four rods wide, and the other is only ten feet wide.
An analysis of this rock shows it to be carbonate of lime 65.41, carbonate of magnesia 30.05, carbonate of the protoxide of iron 1.61, insoluble matter 2.58. It is used for the manufacture of lime to a limited extent.
In a depression of the high ridge, in the south part of Stratton, which separates the waters of the Deerfield and West rivers, is a large pothole, far up upon the side of a ledge of solid gneiss, 3,235 feet above the level of the ocean, so peculiar in its form, and so magnificent in its proportions, considering the hardness of the rock in which it is formed., that it attracts many visitors. Its existence was scarcely known until it was visited and examined and described by Charles H. Hitchcock of the geological surveying party.
This hole is a little north of the crest of the hill, from which it is inferred that the stream which flowed over this spot and by whose agency it was formed, must have flowed northerly. This is not certain, however. Mr. H. P. Goodall, who first visited this spot with Mr. Hitchcock, and afterwards with others, thus described it: "The hole is 10 feet 8 inches deep, and in diameter 2 feet. Immediately behind the hole, the rock rises 20 feet; some 30 rods further back is an elevation of 200 feet. The form of the hole is screw-like, the thread making three complete turns before reaching the bottom, which is shaped like that of a caldron kettle."
The rook is Green mountain gneiss, dipping 35° east. It is solid, without seam, or crack, and will hold water like a stone-jar. The hole is nearly perpendicular, though it commences at the top, from a steep declivity.
Some 14 years before the opening of the war of the Revolution, some of the citizens of Worcester county, Massachusetts, had their attention called to the high lands upon the eastern slope of the Green mountains, now known as Stratton, and to their excited imaginations they became a veritable Eldorado, and July, 1761, a charter of this township was secured from Gov. Benning Wentworth of. New Hampshire. An exploring party was sent out and steps were taken to colonize the township, but these preliminary measures were not entirely successful. No permanent settlement was effected until after the close of the war. At the date of the granting of this charter, only one of the towns on her border had been chartered. That was Sunderland. The description of the township as given in the original charter follows : " Beginning at the northeast corner of Sunderland, from thence due east six miles, from thence due south six miles, from thence due west six miles, to the southeast corner of Sunderland, thence due north by the east line of Sunderland aforesaid, to the bound first mentioned."
Isaac Searl, John Lyman, Job Searl, Nathan Lyman, Eleazer Hannum, Charles Clapp, Daniel Lee, Esq., Elisha Mather, Martin Phelps, Caleb Strong, Spencer Phelps, Martin Phelps, Jr., Asahel Clapp, Oliver Lyman, Joel Lee, Nathaniel Cudworth, Nathaniel Noyes, Augustus Clapp, Esq., Charles Mather, Ruggles Woodbridge, Elias Lyman, Nathaniel Burt, Samuel Blodgett, Caleb Blodgett, Rev. John Searl, Daniel Lee, Jr., Capt. Benoni Danks, James Hill, Joseph Hill, John Hill, John Holden, Josiah Brewer, Jonas Cutter, William Lamson, John Smith, Rev. Jonathan Judd, Thomas Sweat, Nathaniel Phelps, Nathaniel Phelps, Jr., John Smith, Jr., Wm. Lyman, Wm. Blunt, Gideon Clark, Jonathan Bascom, Cutes Loomis,
Oliver Wendell, Caleb Blodgett, Benjamin Cudworth Joel Hunt, Seth Blodgett, Richard Stoner, Joseph Brown, Joseph Pricheon, Esq., Monsieur Bunbury, Wm. Pearson, Henry Apthorp, Jacob Wendal, Esq., Wm. Brattle, Esq., Thomas Hubbard, Esq., Richard Wibard, Esq., John Downing, Esq., Samuel Wentworth of Boston, and Benning Wentworth.
The project of an immediate settlement was interfered with by various causes and it was not until Dec. 26, 1781, that we have any record of a proprietors' meeting. This meeting was held at Grafton, Worcester county, Mass., and was organized by the election of Jacob Stevens, moderator, and Edward Rawson, clerk. This record refers to Stratton as belonging to Bennington County.
The first proprietors' meeting within the limits of the town, of which there is record, was held on Sept. 16, 1784, Jacob Stevens, moderator; Jonathan Philips, clerk. Among those present and participating were: William McFarland, John Campbell of Putney; Paul Thurston, Edward Rawson, John Blood of Pownal ; Timothy Morsman and Oliver Morsman. Jonathan Philips continued to serve as proprietors' clerk until Oct. 5, 1787; Jared Blood, to May 27, 1789 ; Joseph Patch, to June 24, 1791 ; Asa Philips, to Sept. 7, 1795.
The first settlers in the town were Timothy and Oliver Morsman, who removed from Worcester County, Mass., in the summer of 1783.
Oliver Morsman began to clear up the land, and built himself a log house upon the west half of the 5th lot in the 4th range, now known as the Adams lot.
His brother, Timothy, pitched his tent not far from Stratton pond, and near the south line of the town. He raised a family of children, one daughter, married and settled in Stratton.
Among those who came quite early were Asa Philips, Solomon Gale, Samuel Boutell, Bille Mann, Joseph Patch, Mr. Wetherbee, Abel Grout, Austin Bissell.
The first white child born in town was a girl, daughter of Solomon Gale. The first male child born in the town, was Asa Philips, son of Asa and Polly Philips, Aug. 13, 1785. The first death was that of Betsey Boutell, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Boutell, May 24, 1796. The first marriage occurred September, 1791. The parties were Jonas Woodward and Miss Polly Morsman. The first record of transfer of real estate is of a deed by Jonathan Philips. This instrument was executed at Newfane, Sept. 26, 1784, before Luke Knowlton, Justice of the Peace.
The first tavern was kept by Joseph Patch. The first grist-mill was built by a Mr. Graves. Sawmills were erected by Wetherbee, Jacob Batchelder and Mr. Philips, at about the same time.
Soon after Vermont's declaration of independence in 1787, the citizens of this thriving burgh determined to perfect their organization as a town. A meeting was called for that purpose in a neighboring town, which met at the house of Oliver Morsman, May 31, 1788. At this meeting Timothy Morsman, Solomon Gale and Benjamin Hobbs, were elected selectmen; Asa Philips, town clerk; Sanford Bixby, treasurer; Joseph Patch, constable.
The following are the names of all the town clerks: Asa Philips, Stephen Thayer, Asa Philips, Thomas Lathrop, Thomas W. Millet, Ezra Estabrook, Richard Scott, Asa Philips, Elias Bassett, Benjamin Thatcher, Richard Scott, Freeman Wyman, LaFayette Sheldon.
The first freeman's meeting was held in 1799, when Samuel Boutell was elected to represent the town in the General Assembly.
The town of Stratton was represented in the General Assembly, by Samuel Boutell, Bille Mann, Abel Grout, Richard Scott, Stephen Ballard, Benjamin Thacher, David Rice, 1836-7-8, 40, 43 ; Joseph Blodgett, 1839, 48 ; Asahel Kidder, 1841 ; John N. Glazier, 1842, 55-56 ; Amos Parsons, Jr., 1844-45-46-47 ; John Underwood, 1849, Rufus Lyman, 1851-53; Stephen Grout, 1854; Melvin A. Knowlton, 1857-58-59, 68-69 ; Henry W. Estabrook, 1860-61; Jacob B. Grout, 1862-63, 70; Jonas N. Smith, 1864; Newton N. Glazier, 1865, 67; Joseph Tripp 1866 and Geo. M. Smith, 1890. Samuel Boutell was appointed justice of the peace in 1799 and he served in that capacity 22 years. Richard Scott served as justice 25 years; Moses Forrester, 14 years; John N. Glazier, 22 years.
The early settlers of Stratton were true descendants of the old Puritan stock from which they sprung, and the deep religious sentiment which pervaded their life and character, found its legitimate channel in true blue Congregationalism. The Congregational church of Stratton was organized Aug. 30, 1801, with only 9 members; The first deacons were Francis Kidder and Samuel Bixby.
The first church was organized by Rev. James Tufts and Rev. Gersham C. Lyman of Marlboro. Among the first ministers who preached to this people was the venerable Rev. Mr. Payson, father of Edward Payson, whose name is a familiar household word.
The first church edifice erected in Stratton was built mainly by the Congregational church and society, in 1807. Its location was near the center of the town.
Near the beginning of the century a Baptist church was organized. In 1825 its membership numbered about 40. The first deacons were J. Greenwood and John Glazier.
July 13, 1857, a Free-will Baptist church of eight members was organized by Rev. I. J. Headley and Chester M. Prescott. The first deacon was David Eddy. The church continued to grow in number. Rev. Mr. Prescott continued with this church only a few years. Since Mr. Prescott's removal the church has been supplied by Rev. John B. Randall, John Parker, Joseph Tripp, and John C. Ball.
The first burial ground in Stratton was upon the lot situated a little west of the Adams lot. This place was used for burial purposes until 1803 The next place used for this purpose was a lot near the center of the town. The present cemeteries are one at the centre on the old Asa Philips farm, given by him for that purpose, one at the north part of the town, and one in the south part.
early received the attention of the sturdy pioneers. They divided the town into districts, and most of these districts have since maintained their four months school per year. Although educational advantages have been so limited, with only two months schooling of an indifferent character in the year for boys above 12 years of age, a goodly number of young men have worked their way through college and into honorable and useful careers in life. It required earnest and determined purpose to meet and overcome the obstacles thrown in their way by poverty and lack of advantages.
Three at least of the early settlers of Stratton had seen service in the war for independence - Bille Mann, Jonathan Marsh, Bissell and Abel Grout. William M. Fuller served as a soldier in the Mexican war and was detailed to go to California.
WAR OF THE REBELLION.
Stratton responded nobly to the call for men to volunteer to put down the rebellion of 1861. Every call of the adjutant general was responded to with the enlistment of her full complement of men. There was no shrinking or sending worthless substitutes, but with patriotic motives these young men took their lives in their hands and went forth to do and to endure, for the preservation of their country's honor.
The following were accredited to this town in the filling of the quotas:
George Clough enlisted Jan. 13, 1862, mustered into Co. H, 8th Reg., Feb. 12, 1862 ; age 30 years ; reenlisted March 5, 1864 ; mustered out June 28, 1865.
Samuel G. Conant enlisted Aug. 30, 1862, mustered in Co. A, 2d Reg., Sep. 15, 1862, age 23; discharged Dec. 29, 1864.
George E. Eager enlisted in Co. H, 9th Reg., June '28, 1862, mustered into the U. S. service July 9, 1862, age 28 ; mustered out June 13, 1865.
Newton N. Glazier enlisted as a private in Co. G, 11th Reg., Aug. 11, 1862, mustered into service Sep. 1, 1862, age 23 ; promoted corporal Nov. 23, 1862 ; 2d lieutenant Co. A, Nov. 2, 1863 ; 1st lieutenant same company Jan. 21, 1864; lost his left arm by a gunshot wound in the battle near Spottsylvania Court House, May 18, 1864 ; discharged Sep. 3, 1864.
Jason E. Goss enlisted June 13, 1862, mustered in Co. K, 9th Reg., July 9, 1762, age 24; mustered out June 13, 1865.
James Grout enlisted Juno 13, 1862; mustered as corporal in Co. K, 9th Reg., July 9, 1862, age 30 years; died March 2, 1863.
Joel Grout enlisted June 13, 1862, mustered into Co. K, 9th Reg., July 9, 1862; discharged May 26, 1865, age 20.
John A. Grout enlisted Sep. 6, '61, age 25, mustered in Co. F, 4th Rog., Sep. 26, 1861 ; re-enlisted Dec. 15,1863 ; transferred to Co. A, same regiment and promoted corporal; mustered out with his company and regiment July 13, 1865.
Pliny Fiske Grout enlisted June 15, 1862, mustered into Co. K, 9th Reg. July 9, 1862, age 42; died in the service Feb. 19, 1863.
Lyman H. Harvey enlisted Jan 10, 1862, age 18, mustered in Co. H, 8th Reg. Feb. 12; mustered out June 22, 1864.
Jesse C. Jones enlisted June 16, 1862, age 26, mustered into Co. K, 9th Reg., August 16, 1862. A long time reported absent without leave, but returned again to his company; mustered out June 13, 1865.
C. H. Pitman Knapp enlisted Aug. 26, 1861, age 27, mustered in Co. C, 4th Reg., Sep. 24, 1861. At the battle of Lee's Mills, April 16, 1862, received a severe gunshot wound in his hip, from which he never recovered; hopelessly disabled was discharged against his will; died. Oct. 22, 1863.
Henry H. Lincoln enlisted Aug. 21, 1861, age 21, mustered in Co. I, 4th Reg., Sep. 20; discharged for disability Jan. 18, 1862.
Matthias J. Lincoln enlisted Jan. 9, 1862, mustered in Co. H, 8th Reg., Feb. 12, 1862, age 18; discharged July 11, 1864.
William N. Lincoln enlisted July 23, 1862, mustered in Co. E, 11th Reg., Sep. 1, 1862, age 21; mustered out June 24, 1865.
Joseph H. Peck enlisted January 31, 1862, mustered in Co. H, 8th Reg., Feb. 12, 1862, age 28 ; re-enlisted March 5, 1864 ; mustered out June 28, 1865.
Dana P. Putnam enlisted Jan. 10, 1862, age 22, mustered in Cu. H, 8th Reg., Feb. 12, 1862; discharged October 31, 1862.
Henry H. Putnam enlisted Feb. 3, 1862, aged 21, mustered in Co. H, 8th Reg., Feb. 12, 1862; discharged Oct. 18, 1862.
Sidney C. Putnam enlisted Dec. 12, 1861, aged 19, mustered in Co. H, 8th Reg., Feb. 12, 1862; discharged April 7, 1864.
Lorenzo D. Underwood enlisted June 1, 1863, age 18, mustered in Co. L, 11th Reg. June 10, 1863; died in service March 16, 1864.
James T. Fay enlisted Dec. 10, 1863, age 35, mustered in Co. D, 8th Reg., Dec. 24, 1863; died Aug. 30, 1864.
Matthias Lincoln enlisted Dec. 1863, age 19, mustered in Co. H, 8th Reg. ; died April 6, 1864.
Milton F. Perry enlisted Sep. 20, 1862, age 26, mustered in Co. I, 16th Reg., Oct. 23, 1862 ; mustered out August 10, 1863 ; re-enlisted Dec. 15, 1863 ; mustered out June 28, 1865.
Lyman Wood Sprague enlisted Dec. 10, 1863, age 31, mustered in Co. D, 8th Reg., Dec. 24, 1864 ; promoted corporal May 25, 1865 ; mustered out June 28. 1865.
Evander H. Willis enlisted Dec. 5, 1863, age 18; mustered in Co. D, 8th Regt., Dec. 24, 1863; mustered out June 28, 1865.
George A. Williams enlisted Jan. 5, 1864, age 23; mustered in Co. H. 8th Regt., Jan. 12, 1864; mustered out May 13, 1865.
Henry E. Knapp enlisted Sept. 1862, for 9 months, age 26; mustered in Co. I, 16th Regt., Oct. 23, 1862; mustered out Aug. 10, 1863.
Velasco J. Knapp enlisted Sept. 20, 1862, age 21; mustered as Corp. in Co. I, 16th Regt., Oct. 23, 1862; pro. Sergt. March 17, 1863; mustered out Aug. 10, 1863.
Lyman E. Knapp enlisted as private for 16th Regt. of 9 months' men; on election by the company Sept. 20, 1862, age 24, com.. Capt. of Co. I; mustered into the U. S. service Oct. 23, 1802; on expiration of his term of service, mustered out Aug. 10, 1863; soon after com. by the governor to recruit a company for the 17th Regt., with headquarters at Townshend; was com. Capt. of Co. F, April 9, 1864, with it mustered into the U. S. service, April 12, 1864. The 17th regiment had severe service and was several times left without field officers, when he was called to command it. Nov. 1, 1864, he was commissioned major, and Dec. 10, 1864, as lieutenant-colonel of this regiment, though on account of lack of requisite numbers was mustered only as major. In the summer of 1864, he was for a time detailed on special duty, as judge advocate of a court martial, at division headquarters. He led his company or regiment in 13 battles, was three times slightly wounded, in the battles of Gettysburg, Spottsylvania and the taking of Petersburg, April 2, 1865. In the latter engagement he was in command of the regiment and won a brevet commission from the president of the United States. He was mustered out of service with his regiment July 14, 1865.
Andrew J. Copeland was drafted and entered service by enlisting July 31, 1863, age 27. He was assigned to Co. A, 6th Regt.; died Jan. 1, 1865.
James H. Johnson drafted, entered service Aug. 3, 1863; died Sept. 15, 1864.
Henry L. Carroll enlisted for one year, March 28, 1865, age 18; was assigned to Co. G, 17th, Regt.; mustered in March 1, 1865; mustered out July 14, 1865.
Samuel Abbott, Jr., and George Hartwell enlisted in the navy.
Preston S. Knapp enlisted in Co. F, 17th Regt., Jan. 1, 1864, age 24; pro. Corp. Nov. 27, 1864; mustered out at close of the war.
Jeremiah D. Styles enlisted Dec. 1863, age 34; mustered a recruit in Co. D, 8th Regt.; mustered out June 28, 1865.
Others who were or had been recently residents of Stratton, entering the service from other towns were Capt. John Pike, Jonathan Babcock, Oscar F. Perry, Chauncey F. Perry and Lyman Pike.
INCIDENTS AND SKETCHES.
The department of biography and incident is very defective. It is impossible to secure information of the earliest settlers whose descendants have removed to parts unknown, or so far away that they cannot be found within the time to which I am limited. By the valuable aid of Jacob B. Grout, Esq. of Stratton; Rev. N. Newton Glazier of Montpelier, and Elijah M. Torrey, Esq. of Dorset, and others, I am able to give the following sketches;
who with his brother Oliver, were the first permanent settlers in the town, was a rough and ready, though kind hearted man.
born in Stratton, March 20, 1795, was the son of Jacob and Lois (Rice) Batcheller. He lived in this town until after his marriage, when he removed to Arlington and from thence to Wallingford in 1835, where he became known as the head of the firm of Batcheller & Sons, whose forks are used all over the country and in Great Britain.
THE GLAZIER FAMILY.
When quite a young man, John Glazier settled in Stratton, about the beginning of the present century. He was a man of iron constitution, well fitted for the hardships of pioneer life, had a vigorous mind which naturally constituted him a leader, and lie was frequently honored by being called to fill positions of responsibility and trust. He was for many years a deacon in the Baptist church.
Their second son, Lyman, entered upon the work of the ministry. He was ordained and settled over the Baptist church in Ira, this State, but died at the early age of 24.
John N. Glazier, another son, remained in his native town, became prominent in its business affairs.
Frank J., oldest son of John N. Glazier, was born in 1829. He commenced to prepare for the ministry. He died at the age of 25 years, before finishing his course at Madison University.
N. Newton, second son of John N. Glazier, was born in 1838. He prepared for college at Leland Seminary, Townshend, graduated at Brown University in 1866, at Newton Theological Institution in 1869. he accepted a call to become pastor of the Baptist church in Montpelier. He represented the town of Stratton in the Legislatures of 1865 and 67.
DEATH OF MRS. BLAKE.
In the winter of 1821, an event of thrilling interest which occurred near the west line of this town upon the road crossing the mountain, startled and touched the sympathies of the people far and wide. Mr. Harrison Blake started late in the afternoon of a cold, stormy day, from Arlington, to cross the mountain with a horse and sleigh, having his wife and infant daughter with him. At that time " the nine-mile woods" were between the last inhabitant on the west side of the mountain and Torrey's tavern, the first house near the road, on the east side. In the small hours of the night, he had reached a point about two miles from Torrey's, his horse was unable to proceed. Wrapping his overcoat about his wife and child, he started forward on foot, with the hope of procuring assistance. He was only able to advance about half a mile. He broke a limb from a tree, which he would put into the snow before him and draw himself to it. He wallowed on, struggling for dear lives bravely, until he could struggle no longer, shouting meanwhile at the top of his voice.
Mr. Hale, whose wife was ill, started early that morning for a physician, and on his way, told Johnson Richardson, whose father was over the mountain, what his boys had heard. Young Richardson hastened in the direction indicated and found Mr. Blake badly frozen, yet able by pointing to make him understand that there were two more further on. Richardson procured assistance and four of the party carried Blake from the mountain. The others went on and found Mrs. Blake still alive but fatally frozen. Going still further on they found the horse and sleigh, and near them, laid in the snow what appeared to be a bundle of clothing. As they unrolled it they found an over coat and cloak wrapped around her smiling babe.
This child's name was Rebecca, and she was brought up by her grand-parents in Marlboro. She married Ezra Dean. Mr. Blake lived a number of years after this occurrence.
SAMUEL NEWELL GROUT.
Rev. Samuel Newell Grout was born in Stratton, July 5, 1818. He was the son of Dea. Abel Grout, born in Brattleboro, and Theodocia (Batcheller) Grout, born in Brookfield, Mass. He fitted for college at Burr Seminary ; graduated from Middlebury college in 1846, and at Andover Theological Seminary in 1849. He went to Missouri in the fall of the same year and commenced his life work under the direction and patronage of the Home Missionary Society. Since that time, he has labored in various places in Missouri, Illinois and Iowa. He is now located at Elmore, Richardson Co., Nebraska.
[BY ELIJAH M. TORREY.]
came to Stratton from Ware, Mass., March, 1820. He was horn in Conn., July 21, 1786, and died Jan. 10, 1851. He married Miss Eunice Hyde, who survived him 20 years. By her he had 6 sons and 3 daughters. He was a man of positive opinions and strong prejudices-was somewhat aristocratic in his notions, was a Congregationalist and whig, was at one time a tavern-keeper and farmer; but, when the use and sale of intoxicating liquors began to be preached against as sinful, he laid aside his glass, took down his bar and sign and became, thenceforth, a farmer and lumberman.
His house was near the grounds whereon the great whig convention of 1840 was held; and when the East and the West, the North and the South, to the number of 15,000 men, met together. Whereon was a well finished log cabin, 50 feet wide and 100 feet in length ; where were exposed to view roasted pigs with knives and forks stuck in their backs -giving the poor man an ocular indication of his bill of fare, when Harrison and Tyler should be in the chair. The orator of the day was “The God-like" Daniel Webster.
GEORGE E. WAIT,
the son of a farmer, was born in Stratton, and there spent most of his boyhood. He was a student in Burr Seminary in 1847; prepared for college at Newbury; entered the Wesleyan University in 1850; graduated in 1854; settled in Geneseo, Ill., in 1855; studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1857; elected county judge of Henry county in 1861, held the office six years; commissioned colonel by Gov. Yates at the commencement of our civil war. mayor of Geneseo in 1866 and 1867 ; elected in 1869 and served as a member of the constitutional convention for the 46th representative district which included the county of Henry. That convention was composed of the very best men of the State, and was in session five months. Wait was an active and influential member. He was chairman of the committee on retrenchments and reforms; and as such exposed the enormous frauds perpetrated on the people by special legislation, and was the first to recommend to the convention a provision in the constitution prohibiting special legislation, which was adopted. Judge Wait is now a member of the Republican State Central Committee for the 21st Congressional District, and enjoys a good reputation as a lawyer and an enterprising business man. In 1859 he married Miss Hattie N. Well of Connecticut. They have three daughters.
ELISHA HYDE TORREY,
youngest child of Luther Torrey, was born in Stratton, July 4, 1831. He entered Middlebury College in 1852. In the fall term of his senior year he was sick and compelled to leave college, never to return. Having regained his health he engaged in teaching, which he has made the busines of his life. He was one year a teacher in the drawing school of Warring &, Bisbee, successors to Charles Bartlett, College Hill, Poughkeepsie, and subsequently for five years principal teacher of Latin and Greek, and vice-principal in the military boarding school of Charles Warring, Poughkeepsie. He is married and has one son.
ELIJAH M. TORREY,
eighth child of Luther Torrey, was born in Stratton, Jan. 12, 1828, and there passed much of his boyhood. Prepared for college at Burr & Leland seminaries. Entered Middlebury college in 1850; graduated in 1854 ; became soon after principal of the High school at Windsor ; resigned, accepted the position of " Master of Order," in the large boarding school for boys of all ages, of Charles Bartlett, College Hill, Poughkeepsie. In 1858 was principal teacher of Latin and Mathematics in the boarding school for both sexes of Rev. E. Seymour, Bloomfield, N. J.; in 1859, settled in Jamaica and became a farmer ; was town representative in 1862, '63, '64; chosen to prepare a "Soldiers' Record" for the town, under an Act of the Legislature of 1864; in 1860, married Miss Cornelia A. Buffum; they had two sons and four daughters.