Membership | Meetings | Officers | Activities | Our Patriots | Library | WSSDAR | NSDAR




CHAPTER ACTIVITIES

Old Pickett Bridge

In the late 1850's there was a dispute between the US and the British over the San Juan Islands. In 1857 Captain George Pickett, then the commanding officer at Fort Bellingham, and his infantry slashed a road along the shoreline and along the bluff, and built a wooden bridge, called Military Bridge, across Whatcom Creek.

New Pickett Bridge

Built in 1920 to replace the old bridge.

Pickett Bridge Plaque

A plaque on the East Side of the present bridge commemorates the first wooden version as Old Pickett Bridge.

Chapter vice regent, Sharon Susdorf, and Edradine Hovde, president of Chapter 5 of the Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington, are shown here cleaning the plaque.

The plaque reads:

Pickett Bridge
built on the site chosen
for a military bridge by
Captain George E. Pickett
Placed by:
Chief Whatcom Chapter
Daughters of the American
Revolution    1920.

New Pickett Bridge Sign

Chapter vice regent, Sharon Susdorf, beside the sign on the Pickett Bridge.

She worked with the Transportation Dept. to get them to make and install an informational sign on the bridge.

Fund Raising for Chapter Projects

Chapter members offer special items at the Christmas Bazaar.

Chapter Meeting

It's always a delight when our Washington State Regent is a guest speaker at our meeting!

Arbor Day and Earth Day

Chapter members donated and planted an apple tree for the proud new owners of a Habitat For Humanity home in Blaine.

Chapter Meeting

The curator of the Whatcom Museum speaking at our meeting.

Chapter Meeting

Chapter Registrar Sharon Neem speaking at our meeting.

A New Daughter!

The chapter holds a welcoming ceremony for one of our new members.

 

 

 

 

 

 







Membership | Meetings | Officers | Activities | Our Patriots | Library | WSSDAR | NSDAR


HOME