FERRY COUNTY LOCALITIES


FERRY COUNTY POST OFFICES IN 1905

COUNTY
POST OFFICE
FERRY BEULAH
FERRY BOYDS
FERRY CURLEW
FERRY DANVILLE
FERRY KELLER
FERRY LAURIER
FERRY METEOR
FERRY ORIENT
FERRY REPUBLIC

Source: United States Post Offices - 1905


FERRY COUNTY LOCALITIES

LOCALITY
LOCATION
DESCRIPTION
BARSTOW on Kettle River, 8 miles above river mouth named for an early settler who operated a store
BOYD on Kettle Riv, 5 miles north of Columbia Riv moved from original site by FDR Lake; named for early setler, Adam Boyd
BUFFALO   see INCHELIUM
COVADA on Colville Indian Reservation, 6 miles south INCHELIUM on Borgeau Lake established by miners in 1890s; name from 1st letter of 6 nearby mines - Columbia Camp, Orin, Vernie, Ada, Dora and Alice
CURLEW 8 miles south of Canadian border, at joining of Curlew Creek and Kettle River former mining town established by prospectors in 1890s; named by Guy S. Helphrey in 1896
DANVILLE 1/2 mile south of Canadian border, near Kettle River mining town; platted 1889 by Nelson Bros.; originally called "NELSON"; name changed to "DANVILLE", a mining company
DULWICH   see ORIENT
EUREKA   see REPUBLIC
FERRY on Kettle River at Canadian border, opposite town of Boundary, BC active at turn of century, now has customs and immigration station.
HARLINDA   see KELLER
HAZELMERE on west bank Columbia River near Rogers Bar in east central FerryCo flooded by Roosevelt Lake
IMPACH on Colville Indian Reservation, 3 miles west of INCHELIUM name may mean "white lake" in the San Poil language
INCHELIUM 1 1/2 miles west of FDR Lake, across river from Gifford original site flooded by creation of FDR Lake; earlier names "Buffalo"and "Troy"
KARAMIN on Curlew Creek, north of Curlew Lake named for Karamin Lumber Company
KELLER on San Poil River, 9 miles from FDR Lake moved when FDR Lake flooded original site; founded 1898 when south half of Colville Res opened for mining; early name "HARLINDA"
KEWA settlement on Colville Indian Res near Nez Perce Creek 4 miles west of FDR Lake
LAURIER on Canadian border, near Kettle River mining town; in 1890s had population of about 2000; possibly named for Prime Minister Laurier (1896-1911)
MALO 13 miles northeast of Republic, on Curlew Creek possibly named by an early-day prospector; "malo" is Spanish for "bad" or "evil"
METEOR on Colville Indian Reservation, 5 miles southwest of INCHELIUM may have been first settlement in SE Ferry Co; a "lively mining camp" in 1898; named for Meteor Mine
MORGAN   see ORIENT
NELSON   see DANVILLE
NOLO   see ORIENT
OLD TORODA   see TORODA
ORIENT 10 miles south of Canadian border, on Kettle River founded in 1902 by Orient Improvement Co; originally called NOLO, later MORGAN; RR stop 1 1/2 miles south called DULWICH
PIA a few homes and a mission Church near Kelley Hill. first church, a log cabin was completed in 1889
REPUBLIC 25 miles south of Canadian border, near head of San Poil River county seat; originally established as "The Mining District of Eureka"; later named for Great Republic mining claim
ROCKCUT on Kettle River, 6 miles south of B.C. in northeast FerryCo once a railroad station
TORODA 16 miles south of Canada border; 5 miles northeast of Wauconda (ne Okanogan Co) "mining ghost town"
TROY   see INCHELIUM

SOURCE - "Place Names of Washington" by Roger Hitchman (Washington State Historical Society: 1955)


BACK to the FERRY COUNTY MAIN PAGE


Marge Reid is proud to be the County Coordinator for Ferry County's USGenWeb Project page.
Contact her at mvreid@eskimo.com .


This county page was revised on Sunday, 04-Mar-2007 12:14:16 MST