Kittitas County Newspapers


Return to KCGS Home

Some of the information for this list was taken from  "An Illustrated History of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties", 1904, by
Interstate Publishing Co. So far, transcribed issues have been done by the webmaster. Please feel free to donate transcriptions to add! NEW indicates issues that
have been added since the last update. Information has been transcribed as accurately as possible, however as some microfilms are very hard to read, the reader is encouraged to
double-check especially on land record locations. Also, although as many articles as possible have been read in each issue, there are
articles that simply could not be read on the microfilm, so some papers may be incomplete on what they have to offer. Currently published papers are The Daily Record and the Northern Kittitas County Tribune. The Cascade Miner The Cle Elum Echo The Cle Elum Tribune The Daily Record The Ellensburg Capital NEW issues The Ellensburg Dawn The Ellensburg Democrat The Ellensburg Localizer The Ellensburgh New Era The Ellensburg News The Evening Record The Gospel Preacher The Herald The Kittitas Localizer The Kittitas Standard The Kittitas Wau-Wau The Northern Kittitas County Tribune The Register The Teanaway Bugle The Yakima Record The Yakima Signal The Cascade Miner
This newspaper was established in Roslyn, and was still being published in 1904. The first
issue appeared on September 14, 1896. It was first established by the Republicans as a
campaign paper. The paper's office was on First Street between Pennsylvania and Dakota
Avenues. The Cle Elum Echo
The Echo was a weekly newspaper which began publishing in January 1902 by the RANDALL brothers
of Roslyn. The Cle Elum Tribune
The Cle Elum Tribune is on microfilm from early 1891 to early 1892. April 23, 1891 June 11, 1891 October 29, 1891 February 3, 1892 The Daily Record (The Evening Record)
The Daily Record is a current paper which began in 1909 as the Evening Record. It is published
in Ellensburg, with offices on the corner of 4th and Main. Clicking on the name will take you
to their website. January 3, 1910 The Ellensburg Capital (The Ellensburgh Capital) (The Kittitas Capital)
The Capital was founded on October 11, 1887, by A. N. HAMILTON. The paper's first home was
on the corner of Pearl and 5th, where it remained until October 1890. It then moved to
the Bath block. The Capital (still being published in 1904) was a 7-column, four-page, paper.
October 15, 1887 November 15, 1888 May 23, 1889 August 29, 1889 November 7, 1889 November 28, 1889 June 16, 1892 January 18, 1894 March 22, 1894 April 4, 1895 July 30, 1896 October 1, 1896 February 1, 1902 November 7, 1903 May 28, 1904 NEW issue November 7, 1906 June 5, 1907 October 8, 1909 March 7, 1912 September 19, 1912 May 29, 1913 February 10, 1916 March 23, 1916 April 26, 1917 May 3, 1917 NEW issue February 7, 1918 May 2, 1918 June 19, 1919 one article on deaths September 11, 1919 The Ellensburg Dawn (The Ellensburg Democrat)
The Dawn began in November 1893 as a six-page monthly magazine. It was first called the
Reformer's Dawn. It was established by Robert A. TURNER "who had been connected with
reform work since 1876, to advocate the principles of the People's part as promulgated at
Omaha, July 4, 1892." The cost was 25 cents per year. It was well-received and doubled
in size after the fourth issue. By May 1894, there were 1,250 subscribers. Later it became
weekly. By 1904, it was in the Albany Block, having moved there from Main Street. Previous
to that, it had been in the Geddis Annex from 1897 to August 1902. Prior to that it had
been in the Cadwell block. It later became the Ellensburg Democrat.
October 13, 1894 January 6, 1899 May 26, 1899 September 15, 1899 May 25, 1900 October 4, 1902 November 8, 1902 December 31, 1903 June 15, 1905 January 11, 1906 April 3, 1908 October 14, 1909 April 28, 1910 February 19, 1914 December 24, 1914

The Ellensburg Localizer (The Kittitas Localizer, The Evening Localizer)
The Kittitas Localizer was established in 1883 by David J. SCHNEBLY. He was a Northwest
veteran newspaperman. The first issue was published on July 12, 1883. It was a four-page
sheet. The plant was destroyed by a fire that burned much of the city on July 4, 1889. At
this time the paper's name was changed to the Ellensburg Localizer. The offices were moved
to the west side of Main Street between 3rd & 4th Streets. In 1904 it was an 8-page paper,
issued on Saturdays. In 1905 came the "Evening Localizer".
February 2, 1889 April 13, 1889 June 8, 1889 September 21, 1889 July 12, 1890 December 20, 1890 January 24, 1891 March 14, 1891 May 14, 1892 August 27, 1892 October 8, 1892 July 21, 1894 November 24, 1894 February 22, 1896 August 24, 1901 January 2, 1908 The Ellensburgh New Era
Only a few copies exist of this paper in microfilm. The August 26, 1887 edition is shown as vol. II. It was
published every Saturday morning by S. T. STERLING.
August 26, 1887 August 10, 1888 The Ellensburg News
March 26, 1918 The Gospel Preacher
The journal was issued monthly in magazine form. The first issue was May 1893, and it ran
for approximately 2 years in Ellensburg. The editor and publisher was the Rev. W. W. STONE.

The Herald
It was published semi-weekly according to the cover, by John T. HARSELL, in Ellensburgh, Washington Territory.
April 23, 1887 The Kittitas Wau-Wau
It was the first paper published in the region, starting in 1879 by Austin A. BELL and
Harry M. BRYANT. Volume 1, no. 1, was published on July 4th, 1879. There was only one
other issue.
July 4, 1880 issue

The Kittitas Standard
The first issue was June 15, 1883 and the last issue was September 10, 1885. The Editor,
CHADD, died and publication ended. It was published on Pearl Street, near Third, in
Ellensburg.

July 21, 1883 October 3, 1885 The Northern Kittitas County Tribune
This current newspaper is published at Cle Elum. Clicking on the name will take you to their
website. The Register (The Washington State Register)
Also known as The Washington State Register. It was published every Saturday morning. A. A. BATTERSON, was Editor and Publisher.
October 10, 1890 February 18, 1893 June 17, 1893 February 17, 1894 The Teanaway Bugle
It was published by G. W. and Fred SEATON beginning sometime in 1883. It was four pages,
9x12 inches in size, and appeared at irregular intervals for about a year. The office was
an old shack on the west bank of the Teanaway.

The Yakima Record
The Yakima weekly Record is of importance as the Kittitas Valley area was once part of Yakima
County. Any newspaper gleanings attached to this are only of those articles with reference
to the Kittitas Valley, not the entire paper.
September 6, 1879 February 7, 1880 February 28, 1880 April 17, 1880 May 29, 1880 July 10, 1880 September 4, 1880 October 16, 1880 November 20, 1880 December 11, 1880 December 18, 1880 January 15, 1881 May 28, 1881 October 1, 1881 December 24, 1881 February 18, 1882 April 8, 1882 July 29, 1882 September 16, 1882 October 21, 1882 March 17, 1883 December 1, 1883 January 26, 1884 The Yakima Signal
The Yakima Signal was an early county paper. The Kittitas County area was once part of the Yakima County.
Any newspaper gleanings attached to this are only of those articles with reference to the Kittitas Valley,
not the entire paper.
February 17, 1883 April 7, 1883 September 8, 1883 February 2, 1884 March 22, 1884

Newspapers transcribed here are normally not the same as those published in our quarterly
newsletter. See newspapers in our newsletters for more information.

Return to KCGS Home

ęKittitas County Genealogical Society 2005-2007