The Kittitas Wau Wau
July 4, 1880
(This is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, Kittitas County newspaper issue still
Published by Austin A. BELL at the Stockade Grocery & Bakery.
This very short issue mentions the following persons:
- Mr. WOODS, the barber
- Dan COONFER, of the Corner Saloon
- Mr. BARNETT, who is building a hotel opposite of the Corner Saloon
- Fitz LEONHARD and Mr. BENDER who are building a new steam sawmill in COOKE's Canyon
- Nez. JENSON, proprietor of Stockade Livery & Feed Stables
now has two hotels, two general stores, one grocer, one beer hall, three saloons,
one butcher, one blacksmith, one washhouse, two wheelwrights, two carpenters, one shoemaker,
one barber, and one nursery. Outside town are four sawmills, one store, one brickyard,
one brewery, and several blacksmiths."
--Submitted by Lynn Blazek for the Kittitas Kinfolk
, vol. 16, no. 1.
© Kittitas County Genealogical Society 2005