DAR Markers in Clallam County

The Michael Trebert Chapter NSDAR, has placed historical and commemorative markers in several locations throughout Clallam County. Chapter members work to maintain these markers each year.



Lincoln Park Marker

Lincoln Park Marker

This park is a part of a United States Military Reservation established in 1862. It was dedicated to public use in 1904 through the efforts of Dr. Freeborn Stanton Lewis, pioneer physician, then Mayor of Port Angeles. Erected by Michael Trebert Chapter NSDAR, Port Angeles 1932.


Upper Lincoln Street Marker

Upper Lincoln Street/Estuary Pavillion Marker

To commemorate the discovery of Port Angeles Harbor in 1791 by Leut Francisco Eliza who named it Porto de Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles, Port of our Lady of Angels. Erected by Michael Trebert Chapter NSDAR, 1934.
On August 10, 2007 this rock and marker were moved to the Estuary Pavillion and rededicated September 15, 2007.


Lincoln Marker on Federal Building

Lincoln Marker on Federal Building

PRESIDENT LINCOLN reserved this building site for government use June 10, 1862. Placed by Michael Trebert Chapter NSDAR, 1936.


Lincoln Street Marker at Carnegie Library, 1924

Lincoln Street Marker at Carnegie Library

PRESIDENT LINCOLN, JUNE 19, 1862 Ordered a reservation here for lighthouse and military uses. Later under Congressional Act of March 3, 1868 part of it became a townsite reserve making Port Angeles the Second National City

Erected by Michael Trebert chapter DAR 1924.


Courthouse Marker

Courthouse Marker

PIONEERS OF PORT ANGELES Victor Smith, founder of this City of Port Angeles, the Second National City, June 19, 1862. Minerva Lewis Troy, Pioneer in Art, Music, Drama, 1890-1960 (member of Michael Trebert Chapter NSDAR). Erected April 7, 1962.


Discovery Bay Marker on Hwy. 101 at milepost 278

Discovery Bay Marker
on Hwy 101 at milepost 278

To commemorate the exploration of the waters of the Pacific Northwest by Capt. Geo. Vancouver, whose first camp was on the beach at the mouth of this stream. May 2, 1792.

Erected 1929 by Michael Trebert Chapter. This marker was destroyed by vandals and replaced by Michael Tebert several times over the years. , .


New Dungeness Territory Marker

New Dungeness Territory Marker

NEW DUNGENESS WASHINGTON TERRITORY

Discovered by Ensign Manuel Quimper July 4, 1790

Named by Captain George Vancouver April 30, 1792

Elliot Cline, pioneer, arrived October 1852. Platted New Dungeness townsite in 1865. Donated land for first Courthouse Jail. Lighthouse lit December 14, 1857. Reference mark, US/Canadian Boundary Treaty of 1908. Tsimshian indian massacre graveyard spit September 21, 1868. Site donated by Mrs. Margaret Cline Bigelow. Erected by Michael Trebert Chapter NSDAR May 8, 1965.