Rainier Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution | 800 East Roy Street, Seattle, WA 98102
THE ORGANIZATION OF OUR CHAPTER
Rainier Chapter, National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized on September 20, 1895. It was the second chapter to be organized in the State and was granted National Charter No. 155 on December 13, 1895. At the Chapter's first regular meeting on September 20, 1895, the foremost item on the agenda was the selection of a name. It seems fitting that our charter members, dedicated to upholding the tenants of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, chose to name the chapter after one of our State's most striking landmarks, Mount Rainier.
HISTORY OF THE BUILDING OF OUR CHAPTER HOUSE
Our Chapter House is one of a handful of chapter houses owned and maintained by DAR members in the United States. From 1895 to 1924 the chapter meetings were held in the homes of the members and then when the membership outgrew this practice, meetings were held in one of the largest Seattle hotels, the Lincoln Hotel, which was located at Fourth and Madison Streets.
As interest in DAR grew and the population of Seattle grew during the building boom, a period which began after the great fire of 1889 and continued through 1928, it was recognized by chapter members that a building, that would serve both the Daughters and the community was needed.
Interesting enough, this Chapter House was the second building project in which the club members were involved. The first building was a small cottage erected at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in 1909. In 1907 the Chapter began plans to build a "welcoming cottage" on the grounds of the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition having been asked by the State Regent to make suitable arrangements to entertain local and visiting DAR daughters. Rainier Chapter Regent Eliza Ferry Leary was named the chairman of the committee to oversee this project and work with Chapter Regents throughout the state. Donations of cash and furnishings were collected from the Chapter members and other Western Washington Chapters and a bungalow was built in less than six weeks prior to the opening of the Exposition.
Originally the building committee had wanted a house boat but it was deemed impractical and perhaps too difficult to build in the short time frame. So a portable building was agreed to and it was placed closer to the main activities of the Exposition. It was completed on time for the opening ceremonies.The bungalow was used from May to October of 1909 and according to the report filed in late 1909 expenses total $986.90 all of which was covered by funds raised by nine Western Washington Chapters. The State Regent in 1909, Eva Gove wrote in her report:
"To most of us our little Cottage on the Exposition grounds proved a gratifying experiment. It served to instruct and entertain about five thousand visitors and furnished a convenient rallying point for daughters from far and near. Within its walls old ties were strengthened and new ones formed. From it there radiated a spirit of hospitality and friendliness which has contributed much to the prosperity and popularity of the organization, with the charm of its simplicity and restfulness, so manifestly enjoyed by many a weary sightseer, and proves that most satisfactory results may sometimes be accomplished with a small expenditure of money."
The primary use of this cottage was as a hospitality building. We could say that in 1909 the placement of the DAR cottage on the grounds of the Exposition supports the idea that the spirit of hospitality opens doors of opportunity. This cottage was a gathering place for members of DAR and SAR visiting the Exposition, but more importantly the hostesses welcomed all visitors curious about the projects supported by DAR. After the close of the Exposition the building was removed from the grounds by the builder. Success with this small project showed the members of Rainier Chapter that with a good Building Committee, soliciting funds and bringing a project to fruition on time and within a budget was possible.
After the successful operation of the DAR cottage on the ground of the AYPE, the Seattle chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution wrote a letter to Rainier Chapter asking if the Chapter would be interested in joining forces to procure a meeting house. Discussion at the monthly meeting indicates the Chapter was in agreement that a Chapter House was needed and that the Chapter would endorse any "movement that the Sons make toward getting a building for our mutual benefit". Other than this brief notation there is no further discussion of building a Chapter House. At the close of 1911 Rainier Chapter had 220 members and the Chapter continued to use hotels for their functions.
Five years past and in 1916 Rainier Chapter is busy raising funds for the support of World War I. Then right before the end of World War I, discussion about building a Chapter House is again noted in the secretary's minutes for the Chapter Meetings. Fund raising by the Chapter during the previous three years had been for support of National DAR projects, and the war effort, not for purchasing land. If the construction of the Chapter House was to begin the fund raising efforts needed to focus on a house fund. A Building Committee was formed and activities were planned to raise funds for that committee.
In June of 1920 during a special meeting at the home of chapter member Mrs. David "Nettie" Bowen a play is put on that reveals that the Chapter has successfully purchased two lots on Capital Hill on Federal Avenue.
Since it had taken the Chapter three years to save about $470.00 to acquire the down payment on the land the members realized they needed a better and more aggressive plan for their building fund. How did they do it? The money was raised by all the members of the Chapter. Bazaars were held where "fancy work" hand embroidered baby clothing was sold. Since baby clothing was not made commercially on a large scale in the early 1920s, Rainier Chapter was very successful in selling these hand made layettes. Also, rummage sales were held with one member stating, "We cleaned out nearly every attic in the City".
Members set up tables at Pike Place Market and sold used clothing, joking that the "shoe department" was their big money maker. Bridge parties were organized with each player paying a sum to play and many teas and receptions were held all over the City to raise money. Due to the continuing upswing in the economy nationally and the continued growth of Seattle, and with the acquisition of the land, the members were very confident that the house would be built. With the Building Committee appointed, a corporation was formed in May of 1921 to oversee the design and construction of the permanent Chapter House.
In April of 1924 the Chapter hits the first snag in their building project, a zoning problem. The Chapter has inadvertently purchased two lots which were originally part of the old Yesler Estate; and, one of two contiguous lots was subject to a restriction that only a residence could be built on it. Also the neighbors form a committee to prevent any public access building to be constructed on their street. The Chapter hires an attorney and tries but fails to get the zoning changed. Regent Bowen then instructs the real estate company that sold the property to the Chapter to find two suitable building lots. This East Roy Street property is zoned correctly and so a trade is made. But there are problems with the East Roy Street lots as well. When the plans are submitted to the City a group of East Roy Street neighbors file a protest with the City that the Chapter House is not suitable for the neighborhood. But this time the zoning does allow for a public access building. Also,
The corporation hires an attorney and this time prevails and the building permit is issued. Eliza Ferry Leary is named President of the Corporation and it is most certain it was her suggestion that the Chapter House be modeled after George Washington"s home Mount Vernon. Mrs. Leary was very familiar with
Born in Newark, New Jersey on December 28, 1871, Daniel Riggs Huntington was the son of John Huntington a prosperous grocer and Mary Horton Huntington. Mary Horton Huntington was a distant relative of Dexter Horton who founded the Dexter Horton Bank, forerunner of Seafirst Bank. John Huntington was the son of Bacchus W. Huntington, a wealthy Alabama Judge who relocated to New York City after the Civil War. Daniel's father, John, died in 1886 while the family was living in Texas. Daniel was 15 and Mary took Daniel and her other son back to New York City. In 1900 we find Daniel living with his Mother and younger brother and he is apprenticed as an architect. In 1904, he married Maud Lytles and by 1905 is residing in Seattle with his new wife, his mother and younger brother.
The most obvious reason for an architect to move to Seattle in 1905 is that most of the downtown area had been destroyed by a fire in 1889. Also, in 1896 less than ten years after the Great Fire, Seattle experienced rapid growth due to the discovery of gold in the Klondike making Seattle the jumping off point for thousands of prospectors. There was a tremendous amount of work for anyone associated with building during this period. Coupled with this was a new City zoning code that resulted in a downtown of brick and stone buildings, rather than wood. This was to be Huntington's specialty.
At first Huntington enters into practice with James Schack, a prominent Seattle architect with whom he designs several well known Seattle buildings, the Morrison Hotel and the Delamar Apartments. In 1912 he is hired to be the Seattle City Architect, a position he holds until 1921. During this period he designs more than ten fire stations, two libraries and the Lake Union Steam Plant. Shortly thereafter, Huntington leaves his position as City Architect and opens his private practice.
By1924 the building corporation has been formed formed, the architect hired but the financing of the building is uncertain. The Building Committee had an estimate from Daniel Huntington that the construction costs would run about $30,000.00. Washington Mutual Savings Bank had agreed to loan $15,000.00 which would be personally secured by fifteen of the Chapter members. The Bank required that any additional money should be raised by selling bonds to interested investors. In August of 1924, the then Regent Nettie Bowen, sent a form letter to all DAR and SAR members in the greater
"We are financing the building by selling bonds, and paying 6% interest on the same. We expect to rent the building for dances, card parties, concerts, musicals, luncheons, banquets, teas and receptions. Four different functions can be going on at the same time. There is a crying need for meeting places of this kind for women in
248 Bonds were sold varying in amounts from $25.00 to $500.00 with a maturity of twenty years. When the Chapter House was completed in 1925 the total cost of construction and furnishings totaled $45,200.00 and some change. Although the final construction cost was one-third more than the original estimate made three years before, the Chapter members had sold enough bonds to cover all the expenditures. This would be approximately $560,000.00 in today's money.
Sunday, January 11, 1925 a Seattle Times newspaper clipping finally announces the beginning of construction of the house. Three days later on Wednesday the cornerstone is in place and construction begins. Almost exactly four months later, the building is completed and the first reception is held. It is a remarkable feat considering the amount of building detail in the Chapter House.
With Mrs. Leary's assistance Daniel Riggs Huntington adds some very accurate details to the
In addition, Chapter members are extremely generous with donations of furnishings. The chandelier in the entrance hall is a gift of Mrs. Leary, having once been at fixture in her first home, a mansion located next door to the Lincoln Hotel. Mrs. Leary also donated priceless bronze cornices for the Memorial Room. Antique silver, needlepoint, sofas, tables and other large pieces of furniture are all donated during the first year.
But with any construction there are some problems. The basement is below the City plumbing grade resulting in immediate plumbing problems. And, once the Chapter House is opened it quickly becomes apparent that the kitchen is woefully small, resulting in an almost immediate remodel of the kitchen. The dumbwaiter installed between the basement and main floor quickly needs repairing. But by and large the Chapter members are thrilled with the new Chapter House and rental of the facility during the mid to late twenties was a successful endeavor.
It is interesting that Nettie Bowen exclaimed in her letter soliciting bond investors, "There is a crying need for places of this kind for women in Seattle." Was
In conclusion, when compiling the history of the building of the Chapter House it became apparent that the Building Committee was success in the following areas:
a) They built on the enthusiasm for hospitality that began in 1909 at the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition to fuel the energy needed for this large, detailed project.
b) They understood that through hospitality they could showcase the tenets of DAR to the general public.
c) They were able to sustain commitment over a long period of time. The vision of the Chapter house gave them a tangible goal and they were able to keep that vision alive during the difficult year prior to construction.
d) They recognized that there was strength in numbers. Working in concert gave the members a bigger and bolder sense of muscle. And it took plenty of muscle to overcome the financial, zoning, and planning problems which beset them at the beginning of the task.
e) And lastly, they instinctively knew once the Chapter House was completed it would be a quiet yet continuing reminder to the members and the community at large of a society founded on the principles of service whose motto is, "God, Home and Country".