At his home, situated on Sams street, Monroe, at 1:30 a.m. Monday, October 5th, occurred the death of William E. ADKINS, from an ailment of long standing, in the 79th year of his age. The end came very peacefully and somewhat unexpectedly for on the day before, Sunday, he was feeling quite improved, had partaken of substantial refreshemnts at the various meals that day.

 The funeral was held Thursday, the 8th, from the First Baptist church, Mt. Vernon, Rev. J.E. Nostsinger officiating, and the burial made in the IOOF cemetery at that place, which place having been his home for many years prior to Mr. and Mrs. ADKINS removal to Monroe.

 Deceased was a native Tennesseean, born in Anderson county, January 30,1847, where he resided until about 26 years of age, when he removed to northwest MO. in the vicinity of St. Joseph. He was first married to Nancy DEW, of TN, and to this union was one child, Pernick ADKINS, now of St. Joseph. In Clearmont, MO, Nov. 20, 1879, he was married to Miss Ruhanna ROTH, who survives him. To this union six children were born, of whom one survives, Mrs. D.H. CHASTAIN, of Mt. Vernon.

Northwest Missouri was their home for 25 years, which were followed by 8 years residence in Arkansas from where they removed to Mt. Vernon 16 years ago, the last seven years of his life being spent in Monroe, where Mr. and Mrs ADKINS lived in comparative retirement, happily and comfortably and in highest esteem of many neighbors and a still greater number of friends.

 Mr. ADKINS was a Civil War veteran, a Union soldier, and enjoyed for years the enrollment of his name on the pension rolls of the nation which mean in addition to the enrollments thereof an honorable military record. He was an Odd Fellow for 43 years and charter member of Clearmont Lodge. He had been sick for more then a year, through never very seriously or painfully so. He was a life long member of the Baptist faith, lived and died within the teachings of that denomination. His business during the days of his activities was carpentering he was reputed to be a very fine tradesman. He was a man of deep religious convictions, a good husband, father and friend, a man worth liking and a man worthwhile.


 Everett Daily Herald

 John T. AUGUBRIGHT died last night at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R.B. HOFFMAN, 1913 Colby ave., after an illness of several months. He was a member of the G.A.R. having served in the Thirty-third ILL Volunteers during the war. He leaves a wife, one son in Michigan, one daughter, Mrs. ROSS, in Victoria, and Mrs. HOFFMAN in this city. The funeral service will be conducted tomorrow afternoon at 2 from the HOFFMAN home, with Rev. R.L. Lanning officiating. The G.A.R. will have charge of the service at the grave.


 Everett Daiy Herald

 Captain John A. BAKER, aged 80 years, died this morning at his home, 2928 Oakes avenue, following a several months' illness. He is survived by his wife and son, Walter BAKER and a brother, W.J. BAKER. Captain BAKER entered the Civil War as a private and was promoted to the captainery of the First Wisconsin cavalry. He was a member of the John Buford post, the Everett lodge A.F. and A.M. and had been a deacon of the First Congregational church for the past 20 years. He was a graduate of the Lawrence University of Wisconsin and the Albany law school of NY. The funeral wervice, in chargeof Challacombe & Fickel, will be held from his home, 2928 Oakes avenue, Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. C.H. Burdick officiating. Interment will be held in Everegreen cemetery.


 Born in Hampden, Penobscot Co., Me, 2-23-1844 He enlisted in January, 1862; on duty at recruiting camp until July, mustered into Co. K, 20th Maine Inf., and was in all the campaigns of the Army of the Potomas till 5-10-1864, was transfered to the Navy, and served mostly on the scout and despatch steamer, "Clover" as Quartermaster, off the coast of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and was discharged in the fall of 1865, as Quarter Gunner on the "Princeton" at Philadelphia, Pa.


 Everett Daily Herald

 Archie H. BARR died Saturday morning at his home at Lowell, after an attack of pneumonia, at the age of 69. He is served during the civil war enlisting in Companies "A" and "C" PA volunteer cavalry. He is survived by a widow, one son and two daughters; Stanly BARR and Mrs. Daisy M. CONNERS, of Lowell, and Mrs. E. JORDAN, of Pittsburg, Penn., who will be here to attend the funeral. Arrangements are in charge of John F. Jerread

 Washington State Death Record
Archie Henry BARR b/9-12-1846 in Pa parents noted as John BARR of Pa and Lecrisa LEWIS of NJ died 5-27-1916 he was a laborer and married. Stanley A. BARR of Everett is informant. Archie is buried at G.A.R. Cemetery.

BARR, Archie H. no info. (Co. A. 16th Pa. Cav.)


 Everett Daily Herald

 D.B. BENNETT, 78 year-old Civil war veteran, is dead from injuries suffered last evening about 6 o'clock when he was struck at Twentieth street and Broadway by an automoble driven by Fire Chief Al Taro. Both of Mr.BENNETT's legs were broken, one arm was fractured, and he suffered a scalp wound and internal injuries were inflicted that, coupled with the shock, caused the aged man's death. Mr. BENNETT died this morning at the Everett hospital about 5 o'clock.

Fire Chief Taro and his brother Lawrence Taro, were in the chief's automobile at the time of the accident, Chief Taro at the wheel. They were en route north on Broadway to Lawrence Taro's residence where the chief had been invited to dine. A light rain was falling, obscuring the driver's vision. As the car approached Twentieth street the Chief's attention was drawn to a Shadowy figure to front and left. He slackened speed and leaned outside the car to get a clearer view. As he did so, BENNETT, who was apparently crossing from the west to the east side of the street, stepped in front of the car. The Chief swung the wheel sharply to the right to avoid striking the man. BENNETT quickened his pace and kept directly in front as the car continued swinging sharply to the left. Taro jammed on the brakes and was bringing the machine to a stop when the front fender struck the aged man, who fell heavily to the street. It is doubtful, Chief Taro said today, whether the automobile, after hitting BENNETT, went forward more than six inches. The Chief and his brother picked up the injured man, carring him into a neighboring home. A physician was called and first aid measures were resorted to until Challacome & Fickel's ambulance arrived to carry the aged man to the Everett hospital. Although given every attention at the institution, Mr. BENNETT did not rally from the first shock. He grew steadily weaker and his recovery was despaired of early last evening.

"It is the first person my car has injured in eight years" said Chief Taro this morning. The fire Chief feels the accident keenly. "I have always been a crank about safty-first measures and have taken steps to have careless department drivers dismissed from the service. "About three blocks on this side of Twentieth my brother and I both remarked how difficult it was to see ahead because of the rain on the windshield and how easy it would be to run down some pedestrian. That thoufht made me slacken the speed of the car and we were doing no more than ten miles an hour when we approached the Twentieth street crossing, and both of us were keeping a pretty close watch."

Mr. BENNETT was a native of Michigan. He saw four years of almost constant service in the field as an infantryman in the Civil war as a member of Company K, Seventh Michigan infantry regiment. At Spottsylvania he was severely wounded in the right shoulder. Fifty-six years ago Mr. BENNETT was united in marriage with a Michigan girl, who survives him. there is one daughter, Mrs. May Marshall, of 1932 Lombard avenue, with whom the aged couple lived. Mr. BENNETT was a member of John Buford post, G.A.R. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from Challacombe & Fickel's chapel with interment in Everegreen cemetery. The Rev. W.E. Henry will officiate.


Everett Daily Herald

Following an illness of only a few hours, A.W. BLACKMAN, pioneer passed away at his home about 7:30 last evening at his home, 1030 Rucker ave. from bronchial pneumonia. He was 78 years of age March 10. Mr. BLACKMAN had lived in this vicinity for over 33 years. For six years he lived on a far in Langley. He was a veteran of the Civil war, and at one time was interested in the Blackman Shingle company. Yesterday morning, Mr. Blackman was about his home and appeared to be as well as usual. He complained of chills late in the morning and became so ill that a doctor was called.

The deceased is survived by two daughters, Mrs. W.P. BELL of this city and now in California, and Mrs. W.J. Elwell of Seattle. Funeral arrangements in charge of Challacombe & Fickel, will not be made until word is received from Mrs. Bell, visiting at Banning, California. A telegram was sent to her last night, but no answer had been received late this afternoon. It is supposed she is out of the city, the telegram failing to reach her. The late Almon W. BLACKMAN will be buried Saturday at 1:30 p.m. from the chapel of Challacombe & Fickel. The Rev. W.E. Henry of the Baptist church will officiate. The members of the G.A.R. will conduct the services at Evergreen cemetery.

Was member of John Buford Post #89 of Everett

ALMON W. BLACKMAN - a first cousin to Alanson, Elhanan and Hyrcanus Born March 10, 1842 in Eddington Maine; died October 4, 1920 in Everett, Washington; moved from Maine to city of Snohomish in about 1889. Daughter Lillian born October 30, 1868 or 1869 in Bradley, Maine, died March 17, 1941 in Redlands, California (Buried in Everett, spent most of her life in Everett); moved from Maine to city of Snohomish in about 1889; married Walter P. Bell the first city attorney for city of Snohomish, also an Attorney General for State of Washington. Walter and Lillian moved from Snohomish to Everett when the county seat moved from Snohomish to Everett. (from Edward H. Anderson email


Everett Daily Herald

J. Casson, who became unconscious on the City of Everett, while on his way to this city, Tuesday evening, died at Everett hospital last night at 9 o'clock. The cause of his death was apoplexy. The deceased who has been an inmate of the Soldiers home at Orting was about 62 years of age and served in war of the rebellion in the 9th NY Cavalry. The body was removed to Challacomb's undertaking parlors. The time of the funeral will be announced later.

Joseph Cassin enlisted in 9th NY Cavalry on 10-2-1861 age 24 years at New York City as a private and re-enlisted on 12-20-1863 he was noted as a Blacksmith and mustered out on 7-17-1865 at Cloud's Mills, Va. Edward Cassin age 23 years ( possibly a brother) enlisted also in 9th NY Cav. Co."M" at Rouses Point, NY and was discharged for disability on 3-13-1863 at Hope Landing, Va.


Everett Daily Herald

Elisha CLEVELAND died at the home of his neice, Mrs. Julia BOWNMAN Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock. The funeral will be hld Tuesday at 2 p.m. under the auspices of the G.A.R.  Elisha B. CLEVELAND served with 1st Me. Cav. Co. A. and requested pension on 11-19-1891 Cert.#977133 from Washington state


Everett Daily Herald

Theodore A. COOK, members of John Buford Post No.#89, died yesterday morning. The funeral services will be held at Jerread's chapel Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. Mr. COOK was also a member of the Odd Fellows. The latter organization will have charge of the services at the chapel and the John Buford Post will have charge at the grave.

14th NY Heavy Artillery Co. "A" at age 19 years.

Lewis  H. COON

Everett Daily Herald

Everett, Wash. June 9, 1903 Universe has summond our worthy comrade, L.H. COON from labor to rest, therefore be it. Resolved, that we, the members of John Buford Post No. 89, dept. of Wa. and Alaska, Grand Army of the Republic, tender the widow and family of our departed brother our most sincere condolence in this hour of affliction.

Snohomish County Death Record

Lewis H. COON age 61 b/Mo died 6-4-1903 father noted Henry COON. served 1st NY Light Artil. Co. A. as Srgt. Everett Daily Herald 6-4-1903 Captain L. H. COON, deputy collector of customs, died at six o'clock this morning at his residence 2500 Cedar street after an illness of six weeks, during which time he has been confined to his home by chronic stomach trouble. Captain COON was one of the best known and most highly esteemed citizens of Everett and Snohomish county. A resident of this county for the past thirteen years, and since 1897 holding the position of deputy customs collector, he had a great many friends both here and elsewhere. He was a veteran of the civil war and during his long and active life held many positions of trust and honor. The deceased leaves a wife and two grown children, a son, Alfred COON, who lives at home, and a daughter, Mrs. Nellie BURCHAM, also of Everett. The funeral will probably be held Sunday afternoon but the definite arrangements will be announced later.

Captain COON was born in Clay county, Mo., October 6, 1842. When he was two years old his parents moved to Mt. Vernon, Ind., and there he received a common school education. September 9, 1861, he enlisted in the United States Navy, and saw service on board the gunboat, "Conestoga", in the Ohio river. Later he entered the army, joining a Mo. cavalry regiment and fought in most of the battles in which the army of the west was engaged. At the close of the war, July 27, 1865, having entered the army as a private he was discharged at Little Rock, Ark, as second lieutenant, Company F, Eleventh regiment, Mo. volunteer cavalry. In 1867, he married Miss Josephine Bradshaw, in Monroe county, ILL. He entered the law school at Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1869 and studied there until he was able to pass the examinations for admission to the bar. From Illinois, Captain COON and his wife moved to St. Francis county, Mo., where he taught school, and in 1874 they went to Texas. In 1875 he was elected county attorney of Busque county, Texas and was reelected in 1877. Shortly afterwards he left Texas, going to Aberdeen, KS. There for five years he held a commission in the state militia.

Captain COON came to Washington thirteen years ago first residing in Snohomish where he served as city attorney in 1892and 93. In 1895 he represented this county at the state legisature. He was appointed deputy collector of customs of the port of Everett in 1897, and upon the expiration of his term was reappointed. Captain CCOON was prominent in Grand Army circlies. He has been junior vice commander of the department of Washington and Alaska. He joined the Methodist church in 1880 in Decatur, ILL., and belonged to both the Masons and Odd Fellows.

1900 Snohomish County Census
L.H. Coon age 55 b/10-1844 md 33 yrs b/Mo Dep. collector
Josephine age 50 b/6-1850 md 33 yrs 2 ch 2 liv b/Ill
Alfred age 26 single b/6-1873 Mo shingle weaver


Snohomish County Tribune

Another old soldier has passed away, and again we are remembered of fleeting time and how rapidly the veteran ranks are thinning. Lucius DAY passed away at his home in Cherry Valley, Thursday, March 15, after over a year of sickness. Mr. DAY was born in Burlington, Vt., March 2, 1838; moved later to Wisconsin where he answered his country's call and was among Wisconsin's volunteers, serving at the front over three years, after which he returned to Wisconsin and married Sarah Frazier and soon after moved to Washington, settling on the Snohomish river in Cherry Valley, where he raised up his family and hewed out his farm from the unbroken forest. He was among the early pioneers of the country, and was well and favorably known in both Snohomish and King counties, holding many positions of trust among which were postmaster of Cherry Valley for over 25 years. He leaves a wife , two sons, a daughter and many friends to mourn his loss. He was buried in charge of Snohomish G.A.R. Post at Monroe, Wa. March 16, 1900



Service over the remains of William Dennis are held from the Family Residence
Funeral services over the remains of William Dennis, who passed away at his home in this city, were held from the family residence on Monday afternoon, Rev. P.H. Raymond of the Methodist church officiating, assisted by Rev. J. McKean.

William Dennis was a vetern of the civil war, and death came only after an illness which extended over a year. He was born in Little Falls, Herkimer county, New York in the year 1846. On June 16th,1864, he enlisted in First Neb. Reg. Co.K, and was mustered out July 4, 1866. In 1866 he married Miss Ida Belle Furnam, and the following year came west, residing in Seattle. He came to Monroe in 1906, where for the past ten years he has been a well known figure. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife and five children: Mrs. Katie KEARNEY of Three Lakes, Mrs. Maude BOSTON of Marysville, Mrs. Alice WILEY of Pa., Mrs. Minnie CARTER of Seattle, and Clarence DENNISON of Monroe; a sister Mrs. Isabel McAnDRUS of Monroe.


Everett Daily Herald

Edward H. DOCKENDORFF died at his late home, 2109 Wetmore, yesterday afternoon at 3:30, age 71 years. Those left to mourn his loss are his widow and four children, May, Walter, Samuel, Clarence, the latter a resident of Leona, Ore. Mr. DOCKENDORFF was a veteran of the civil war, enlisting with the First regiment, company A, Maine volunteer infantry. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from the United Brethren church, Mrs. Leis officiating. The ritualistic services of the G.A.R. will be held at the G.A.R. cemetery. Interment will take place under the direction of Maulsby & Sons.

1911 Polk Directory Everett
Edward H. DOCKENDORFF (Nancy) 2109 Wetmore

1912 Polk Directory Everett
Nancy DOCKENDORFF (wid Edward H.) 2109 Wetmore
May DOCKENDORFF 2109 Wetmore
Samuel H. DDOCKENDORFF (Mary) tmstr Cardle Bros 2125 Wetmore
Walter H. DOCKENDORFF timber cruiser 2109 Wetmore


Everett Daily Herald

William E. DOWNING, 83, a veteran of the Civil war and for many years a resident of Snohomish, died at the state soldiers home at Orting Wednesday at 4 p.m. Mr. DOWNING had been in failing health for several months, and went to the home April 29, where he was placed in the hospital, but strength and in hospital, but strength and health had so far failed that he could not respond to treatment.

Mr. DOWNING was born on Christmas day, 1846, near Lafayette, Ind. His parents, John H. and Sarah (KNIGHT) DOWNING, were pioneers of Indiana, having located their farm home near Tippecanoe battle ground in 1830, but a few years after the defeat of Chief Tecumseh by General Harrison at the historic place and the admittance of Indiana as a state. At the age of 16 he enlisted in Company "H" 40th regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in which he served three years. At the battle of Franklin, Tenn., because of the bursting of a shell near him, his speech was impaired so that long after returning from the service he could not speak above a whisper.

When D.F. Sexton, pioneer of Snohomish, and the late Mrs. Sexton, the latter Mr. DOWNING's sister, migrated from Indiana to Kansas in 1870, he accompanied them and remained in Kansas for several years, after which he went to California. Later he return to Indiana and worked on his fathers farm. In 1890 he came to Snohomish where he continued with the exception of short intervals, to make his home. Of the six brothers and four sisters of his father's family, one sister, Mrs. Eliza THOMAS of Lafayett, Ind, the youngest of the family remains. He is also survived by nephews and sisters. Funeral services are to be held Saturday at 2 p.m. at Purdy and Sons chapel. The Rev. A.W. Brown of the Methodist Episcopal church will officiate. The Woman's Relief corps also will hold services at the chapel. Comrades of Earl Winehart post of the American Legion will be pallbearers. Interment will be at G.A.R. cemetery.


Everett Daily Herald

Nelson DUBUQUE, a pioneer resident of Snohomish, died at his home, 213 Avenue C, this morning at 9 o'clock after periods of sickness which occurred during the past few years. He had been a resident of this city for 40 years and in the early days took an active part in public affairs. He was a member of the Morton post No 10 of the G.A.R. of this city, and was 73 years of age. He leaves a widow, eight sons and two daughters. the sons are Nelson and Ivan, of Snohomish; Joe, of Florence; Isaac, of Everett; Amos, of Bellingham; Fred, of Gold Bar, and Edward and Will of Silvana. Of the daughters, Mrs. R.W. RUSSELL resides in Seattle, and Mrs. R.W. RUSSELL at Santa Cruz, Cal. He is also survived by a brother Calice DUBUQUE, of this city, and a sister, Mrs. Joe DAVISON, of Bellingham. The body is being held at the undertaking parlors of Hill and Cornell, on Ave. C, awaiting funeral arrangements.

Snohomish GAR Cemetery
DUBUQUE, Ivan D. 1886-1924
DUBUQUE, I.L. no info.
DUBUQUE, Henry W. 8/3/1874-5/29/1896 age 21-8-9dys (Son of Nelson & Laura Dubuque) DUBUQUE, Nelson no info. (C. D 6th Mn Inf.)
DUBUQUE, Emily Louise 1879-1951
DUBUQUE, Mary E. d-12/8/1908-age 55yrs. (Wife of C. L. Dubuque

Washington State Death Record
Nelson DUBUQUE  b/6-2-1841 Canada, married, parents noted as Moses DUBUQUE and Salina FLURIE both of Canada, died 12-21-1914, farmer; wife Lora DUBUQUE was the informant. buried at GAR cemetery 12-23-1914.


Snohomish Tribune

Oliver O. EASTMAN, and old Grand Army man, died Tuesday night of heart failure, at his home on Linclon street. He was 66 years of age and had been a resident of Snohomish for nine years. Mr. EASTMAN has been a familiar figure for years around the N.P. depot with his basket of fruit. He is survived by a widow, four sons and a daughter, Mrs. MULLICAN. The wife a former M.E. pastor here, Rev. TOWNE, is a sister of Mr. EASTMAN. She resides at Darrington at present. The time for the funeral has not been set, word is being awaited from relatives in the east.

1910 Snohomish County Census
Oliver O. EASTMAN age 67 married 41 yers. B/Ny parents b/ Ind Ny
Anna Eliza 66 married 41 yrs 6 chil. 5 liv. b/Ny parents b/ US US

1920 Census
Anna Eliza EASTMAN age 75 widow b/ Ny parents b/Vt US


Snohomish Eye

Jas. FOLEY, a Snohomish county pioneer, who has been a county charge bedridden with paralysis for about 28 years, died at the county hospital on Wednesday. The Tribune report that he took part in the Indian wars of the early days is denied by pioneers who were intimately acquainted with him. W. Whitfield worked with him in the Puget Mill Co's camp on Ebey slough in 1866, and says FOLEY deserted from the British army at Fredrickton, N.B. and joined the federal army as drillmaster during the early part of the rebellion. After his discharge he came to San Francisco and thence to the Sound.


Snohomish County Tribune

Thomas GALLYER died at the Case hospital August 18, 1897, and was buried from the Congregational church under the auspices of the Grand Army of the Republic, of which he was a member. He had suffered much for some years from necrosis of the bone.

Thomas GALLYER was born at Portsmouth, England, in 1834. He served in the Crimean war, 1854-55, and again in India at the time of the Mutiny in 1857, being under Sir William Peel in the relief of Lucknow. He came to America about 1850, and in 1862 enlisted in the 83rd Pennsylvania volunteers, being later, 1864, transferred to the navy. For nearly a decade he has been a resident of Washington, and for nearly fourteen years in Snohomish county. In 1889 Mr. GALLYERwas converted and joined the Free Methodist church, and has been an honored member every since.

(Death record and obit spells it Gallyer, Tombstone and grave state Gallagher.)


Everett Daily Herald
G.A.R. Veteran Dies

Frederick GEAR (GOEHRS), a venerable member of the G.A.R. died at an early hour this morning after a lingering illness. Mr. GEAR (GOEHRS)  had resided in this vicinity two years making his home on the Ardt place on the Northern Pacific, West of avenue D.


The funeral of Frederick GEAR (GOEHRS) , the old soldier, was held yesterday under the auspices of the G.A.R.


Everett Daily Herald

Henry GETCHELL, an old veteran and pioneer of this city, died yesterday at the Soldiers' home, where he had been for about two years. Mr. GETCHELL leaves a widow, Mrs. Sarah GETCHELL, and four sons and daughters, Claud GETCHELL, Ira GETCHELL, Mrs. W.W. BOOTH and Mrs. Ed WARNER, both of Everett.

1889 Snohomish County Census
Henry GETCHELL age 49 logger b/Me
Sarah age 44 b/Me
Jennie age 13 b/Wt
Ira age 9 b/Wt Claud age 7 b/Wt
J.E. GETCHELL age 46 logger b/Me (single)
Lillie age 38 b/Me (single)
Lea Getchell age 21 (male, single) lumberman b/Me
Evens age 22 (male, single) lumberman b/Me


Everett Daily Herald

Isaac N. GREEN, aged 76, died last night at his late home, 2714 Pine street from a general break down brought on by advance years. He is survived by a widow and a daughter, Mrs. May HUSBY, of this city, and a son, Frank GREEN, of Garnett, Kas.

Mr. GREEN came to Everett four years ago. He was a member of Company H., 155 Ohio Infantry in the civil war and served his county faithfully during the conflict between the North and the South. The body is at Maulsby's waiting funeral arrangements.

Polk Directory 1913 Everett
Ann E. GREEN (wid Isaac N) 2714 Pine



Rev. P.H. Raymond officiated at the funeral of S.L. HART, of Everett Tuesday afternoon, Mr. HART was a member of GAR.


Everett Daily Herald

Philip HATHAWAY, a pioneer resident of Snohomish, died Saturday night from stomach troubles, from which he had been a sufferer for a long time. He was taken critically ill Friday and never rallied. He was sixty-one years old, a veteran of the civil war and leaves a widow and several grown children. Two other deaths occured in the HATHAWAY family within a year past, a young son having been drowned and another died from an abcess on the brain about a year ago. The funeral is under the auspices of the G.A.R.

Phil HATHAWAY buried 12-8-1907
Rachael HATHAWAY died 7-13-1932
HATHAWAY P. no info. (Co. D 3rd Oh. Cav.)
HATHAWAY, Charles 1873-1948
HATHAWAY, Blaine 1893-1906 (s/o Pilip & Rachel Blaine)
HATHAWAY, Blaine 1896-1907 (also says s/o Philip)


Everett Daily Herald

Ira Boliver HEWITT, who for the past year had been in feeble health, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Ella PADDEN. Thursday, April 23rd. Mr. HEWITT was born in Wyoming county, N.Y., on April 16, 1832. He was married to Arletta YEATON at Waupun, Wi., October 15, 1854. He is survived by four children, George A. HEWITT, now in Mexico, C.Y. HEWITT and Mrs. Ella PADDEN, of Snohomish, and Mrs. Emily (HEWITT) ADAMS, of Seattle. He was a member of Morton post No. 10 G.A.R. of which he was a past commander.

Comrade HEWITT enlisted from Olmstead county, Minn, on 10-28-1862, to serve during existing emergency and was mustered into the U.S. service at Fort Snelling, Mn., 12-1-1862, as a private of Capt. Dwight Allen's Co. "I", First regiment Minnesota volunteer mounted rangers. This regiment was recruited on account of the urgent necessity of having cavalry for the purpose of the Indians. The Sioux, as their name, "Cut Throat," implies were a merciless and savage foe. They had perpetrated a massacre along the frontier that was without a parallel in American history. Captain Marsh's men while crossing the river at the Redwood agency were surprised and butchered. The fiends spread themselves like prairie fire along the frontier and in a few days one thousand persons were slaughtered. Comrade HEWITT served as first company bugler, and Chief bugler of the detachment. He was constantly with his command during its service and rendered faithful and notorious service to his country. The service accomplished the release of hundreds of white prisoners whose lives were in the greatest danger. He received honorable discharge at Fort Snelling on 12-1-1863.

The funeral service was held at the Congregational church Sunday afternoon, Rev. Robert Murray Pratt, officiating. At the graveside in the G.A.R. cemetery, the impressive service of the I.O.O.F. was read. The deceased came to Snohomish on May 1, 1889, and enjoyed a wide circle of friends. The funeral service was largely attended. Among those who attended from out of town were: E.A. Kelly, Seattle, Mrs. Gertie Burch, Seattle; Mrs. Clark Kellogg, Seattle; Mrs. E.A. Sturgeon and Miss Marie Sturgeon, Everett; Mr. and Mrs. H. Manly and B.R. Baker, Langley.

1900 Snohomish Co. Census
Ira B. HEWITT b/4-1832 age 68 widow b/ NY parents b/ Ny Ny


Snohomish County Tribune

J.Lemual HURLEY, an old resident of Snohomish county, died at the Maple House Wednesday night. Mr. HURLEY had been sick but a short time, but had for many years been troubled with asthma. His death was expected and his old friends were with him to the last. Mr. HURLEY crossed the plains in '49, and came to Snohomish county in 1868. He was and old, experienced miner, having mined in the mountains all along the cost. He was a single man, having no relatives here, but leaving a brother and sister in IL. The body was taken to the undertaking parlors of O.A. Phelps, and the funeral was held at the Congregational church this afternoon at 1:30, Rev. Winchester officiating. Interment was made in the G.A.R. cemetery at Mr. Hurley's request, he having been a cavalryman in the rebellion.

Snohomish County Death Record
John L. HURLEY age 68 b/ILL died 11-4-1898 G.A.R. Veteran

BACK to the SnoCo Civil War Veterans' OBITUARIES INDEX PAGE

BACK to the SnoCo Civil War Veterans Project MAIN PAGE

BACK to the Snohomish County, Washington MAIN PAGE

For more information about this WA GenWeb Project page,
email the County Coordinator, Marge Reid, at
Karyn Zielasko at

This Snohomish County page was updated on 25 Nov 2001

copyright © 2001 - Margaret V Reid