W.T. ADAMS, who died last Saturday, was buried in the GAR cemetery. The funeral services were held at the Congregations church and weree conducted by Rev. Pratt. The services at the grave were in charge of the GAR, of which the deceased was a member. Mr. ADAMS leaves a widow, four sons and two daughters.

To the many friends and neighbors, especially the GAR, who so kindly assisted during the illness and death of my beloved husband. I wish to express my heartfelt thanks. Also for the many beautiful floral offering. MRS. EVA ADAMS

GAR Post had Mr. ADAMS serving in IN 22nd Reg. Co.F Inf.

ADAMS William T. Oct, 5, 1913 G.A.R. Veteran

Everett Daily Herald

William T. ADAMS died Saturday night at his home at the age of 75 years. He was born in Ohio in 1838, and has been a resident of Snohomish for the past four years. The funeral will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. from the Congregational church, Rev. R.M. Pratt officiating. Interment will take place in the GAR cemetery. He leaves a widow, four sons, George M. of Portland; Jacob N. of Atwood, Ol.; Charles J. of Mitchell, Nb; Howard of Hastings, Co and two daughters, Mrs. Margaret SOUL, of Atwood, Co., and Mrs. Anna N. MILLER of Engleton, Tx.

Mr. ADAMS enlisted in the army for three years and served a little over a year, the latter part of the war. He belonged to the 22nd reg. Co. F. While residing in Snohomish, he was a member of the G.A.R. post.


Arlington News


Reaching, by a valiant struggle with the grim destroyer to and a little beyond his allotted three score years and ten, A.L. Blair, one of the fathers of Arlington and a man known and respected in almost every household in the Stillaguamish Valley, passed away peacefully at 3 O'clock p.m. Wednesday, September 17, at the age of 70 years, 5 months, and 18 days. He had been extremely feeble for many months and only an optimistic spirit and unusually strong will had served to prolong the struggle with the ravages of disease and old age during recent month.

His last public appearance was on the occasion of the Pioneer picnic, September 1st, and then he was unable to leave his carriage. Those at the bedside when the call came were Mrs. Blair, William Blair, his son, and Mrs. Minnie Blair, his daughter-in-law, also the nurse and housemaid. Funeral services were held from the house at 9 o'clock a.m. Friday, September 19, Rev. Fred W. Soper officiating. Even at that early hour a large concourse of friends were present, the services being simple and impressive. Relatives from out of town present were Mr. Frank Neff of Everett, Mrs. Merrill of Seattle. The following served as pallbearers in connection with the intermant which occurred in the GAR cemetery at Snohomish beside a son, daughter and grand children, M.M. McCaulley, Jasper Sill, Mart Everts, Geo. D. Wallace, B.H. Hanse and Thos. Moran.

Aaron L. Blair was born March 30, 1843, in Fountain Co., Ind, a son of John and Sarah (Crystal) Blair. He was the youngest of a family of seven. His father was a native of Tn. who settled in Ind. when a young man. His mother was a Ky and came to Ind. when a young woman making the trip on horseback. When a child, his parents moved to Ia, of which state he was a resident until the outbreak of the Civil War. Though but 18 years of age when the drums sounded the call to arms, he at once enlisted in Co. C., 7th Iowa Vol. Cavalry, in which he served for three years and seven months, being honorable mustered out at Omah, Ne., in Feb. 1866.

He was married July 11, 1861, to Cynthia A. Morgan, the daughter of a prominent Ky. family, born at Pleasant Grove, Ia. in 1842. Her father, Abraham Morgan later moved to Walla Walla, this state, where he resided for several years. To the couple were born seven children, Catherine J., Calvin B., Louisa L., James W., Walter A., Aaron F., and Alice May. Of these three survive, namely, Mrs. Catherine Merrill, Mrs. Louisa Neff and James W. Blair. Aside from these and his wife who also survives him, he leaves five grand children and two great grand children.

After the close of the war, Mr. Blair returned to Ia. and followed farming until 1870, when he moved to Pleasant Hill, Mo., and engaged in contracting in connection with the County, construction of a railroad from that point to Lawrence, Ks. In 1878, he moved to Ia., to which state he had returned two years previously, and settled at Howard, in Elk county, Ks. Here he took up a pre-emption claim and followed farming until 1887, when he imigrated to Washington, arriving at Stanwood on Septmeber 26th of that year. The next year he took his household goods to Oso by canoe, Mrs. Blair walking to that then wilderness point by trail. After stopping at Oso for a short time, he took up a pre-emption claim a short distance north west of Arlington. Here he made substantial improvements, but after residing on the claim for 18 months, bought 80 acres of land on the marsh west of Arlington. This was the home of the family for two years, and during that time Mr. Blair had erected a comfortable home and cleared 20 acres of land. In 1892 he moved into Arlington, or rather the part of Arlington then know as Haller City, and engged in the real estate business as the agent of the Haller Townsite Company, with which he continued to be affliated until his retirement from business on account of his health.

He was a man of great diligence in business, winning his way by his energy and native ability, though lacking a school education. He was indefatigable in working for all kinds of improvements and was well adapted by nature for the task of meeting and overcoming the impediments of pioneer life. Throughout his life deceased was adherent of the Republican party, and was an enthusiastic and tireless political worker, taking an active and influential part in every campaign in Snohomish Co. since he became a resident thereof.

Notwithstanding his political influence, he never held office, nor made any special effort to obtain political preferment. He was active in the counsels of E.M. Stanton Post, G.A.R., having been its commander for several terms. He has been a member of the Methodist church since the age of thirteen. A.L. Blair, while a forceful and active citizen and a true American, had no claim to respect so potent as that inspired by his devotion to his wife and family. We can pay his memory no greater compliment than by saying that his attitude toward his family and general bearing hin his home approached the ideal. There is a vacant chair that can never be filled.


Everett Dailey Herald
Walla Walla; Oct. 12 1938

John D. BROWNEY, 94 last surviving member of the A. Lincoln Post, G.A.R. of Walla Walla, died at his home in College Place, two miles west of here Saturday night. He had attended the Gettysburg reunion in July.




Hazen CHASE, aged 81 years, Civil War Veteran, whose home was at Cooper's Spur, five miles northeast of Arlington, was fatally injured yesterday on a bridge south of Kent, Wash., when a Seattle-Tacoma interurban hit him as he put out his had to save a pet dog. He died soon after in Kent. Mr. CHASE was walking along the track with a companion and the dog was on the track as the car came along. He tried to reach the animal to save him and was struck by the car. Mr. CHASE lived with his son, Hazen Jr., and had gone to Kent to visit friends.-The Everett News



A large gathering of friends of the family of the deceased John S. CLARK and members of the G.A.R. attended the funeral services held at Odd Fellows Hall Saturday afternoon and accompanied the remains to the cemetery. Good music was rendered and Rev. McKean preached a most appropriate sermon. Mr. CLARK served all throufh the war and carried a bullet in his shoulder for twenty years as a souvenir. During the past six months he declined greatly and was in great care.


Everett Daily Herald

Civil War Veteran

Sealey H. CLARK, died last evening at the home of his brother-in-law, Richard JONES, 3829 Colby. Mr. CLARK leaves a wife, one son and seven daughters, three of whom are in the East, and the others are in the city. Mr. CLARK had a stroke of paralysis about fourteen years ago, from which he never fully recovered. Another recent stroke resulted in his death. The funeral will be held from Challacombe’s chapel Sunday afternoon at 2:30, Interment will take place in GAR Cemetery.



John DALY passed away on Thursday, January 6, at 4:30 in the morning at the Soldiers Home at Orting, Wa. Mr. DALY came from Ontario, Canada, to the west in an early day, after serving in the Civil war, and was at one time one of the landing lumbermen of Coos Bay, and also in Oregon. He and Perkins cut the timber off the present site of Seattle. Later Mr. DALY served for four years as an officer in the Oregon State Reformatory for Boys. He then came to Monroe where he served a term of serveral years as Monroe's first marshal. He leaves to mourn his loss a widow, Mrs. M. DALY who still resides in Monroe, and a son, Robert who is married and lives at Stanwood, where he is process man for the Carnation Milk Products Co.


Everett Daily Herald

Civil War Veteran John Buford Post Everett, Washington

The funeral of Marshall J. DARLING, who died at 9:30 the morning of July 8,1919, will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Grace M.E. church on Summit Ave. Rev. Jorgenson will preach the funeral sermon.

Marshall J. DARLING was born at Groton, VT. April 28,1844. He was a member of the G.A.R. having served in the Civil war as a member of the 3rd Vt. Cavalry. He had been a resident of Everett for 27 years, and was engaged in the contracting and building business. He erected the first shingle mill ever built in Everett. He leaves a widow, Louisa DARLING, at 2814 Harrison Ave. to mourn his loss. A sister, Lodema MORENTON and a brother, Aaron DARLING of Logan, Utah, also survive him.

Mr. And Mrs. DARLING were married Sept. 27, 1866, and celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in Everett nearly four years ago. Mr. DARLING leaves a large circle of friends in Everett won by many years of active business life in the community and by sterling qualities as a man and as a boy.



Word was received here this week of the recent death of L.E. Fletcher, an old resident of Snohomish and one of the pioneers of the state. For the past two years the deceased had lived east of the mountains with one of his sons. He is survived by his widow and five children, all of whom live in Washington.

Mr. Fletcher, who was 86 at the time of his death was born in Chesterfield, NH, and served with the Fourth Wisconsin through the Civil War. He ressided in Washington for 20 years. The many friends of the family in Snohomish will sympathize with the family in their bereavement.


Everett Daily Herald

Civil War Veteran

Permanent memorial for Dr. E. C. FOLSOM, the first physician to locate in Snohomish and the second to practice medicine in Snohomish county, will be placed by the Snohomish Medical society. This was the announcement made Wednesday morning following the monthly meeting held Tuesday evening. Dr. FOLSOM is buried at G.A.R. cemetery at Snohomish. Dr. Smith, who resided on Smith island, was the first physician in Snohomish county. He later moved to Seattle, locating at Smith cove, now the site of the large terminals of the port of Seattle.

Dr. FOLSOM practiced for thirteen years at Snohomish, where he established his home in November 1872. He died in that city in June, 1885, he was first buried along Pilchuck creek and later the body was moved to G.A.R. cemetery. A monument to Dr. FOLSOM was erected by residents of Snohomish through popular subscription. In discussing plans, members of the society indicated desire to change the lettering on the monument and to add to the memorial. Memorial plans were considered following a report by Dr. W.C. Cox, chairman of the committee handling the matter.

Snohomish County Tribune


A permanent memorial to Dr. E.C. FOLSOM, the first physician to locate in Snohomish and the second to practice medicine in Snohomish County, will be erected, the Snohomish County Medical association announced Wednesday. Dr. FOLSOM is buried the the G.A.R. cemetery here. Dr. FOLSOM establised his profession in Snohomish in 1872. A monument to Dr. FOLSOM has already been erected and the memorial will be added.

(From "Carroll from Snohomish" - History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties 1906 gives his Biographical Sketch on p 844. This biography is a fascinating story about what is known of Dr. FOLSOM and is well worth reading. He was connected with the Mexican War in its closing days. He was 7 yrs service in the Army at CA & AZ. He saw service with the govt. secret service relating to San Francisco & Panama. Indeed he was in service during the Civil War as a medical inspector. He came to Snohomish in Nov 1872. He was a nephew of Salmon P. Chase, U.S. Senator from Ohio, a member of Lincoln's cabinet & later Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. He d. about 1844 according to this Bio and was buried by the Masonic fraternity. There is much more to know about this illustrious doctor who contributed so much to humanity wherever he resided. It is no wonder that Eldridge Morse wrote of his life, for it is because of Morse that we are able to know some things about this wonderful man, and pioneer physician. Dr. FOLSOM was a graduate of Phillps-Exeter Academy in New Hampshire, and he studied at Harvard university where he contacted Professor Louis Aggasiz, the famous Swiss naturalist, inspiring in FOLSOM into scientific research)



John GRANT was born in Stark Co., Ohio, October 30th, 1836, died at Arlington, Washington, January 6th, 1899, at the age of 62 years, 2 months and 5 days. He was married at Bourbon, Ind, in 1867 to Miss Angie BAXTER, and moved to this state and settled near Oso in 1887, having resided in Arlington during the past two years. He leaves a widow and the following children to mourn the loss of an affectionate husband and kind father: Claude C., age 30; James L., aged 24; Stacy L., aged 15; and Nellie C., aged 8. Three children, two sons and one daughter, are dead.

The deceased was a man of a gentle and kind disposition who lived in peace and concord with his neighbors, who will sincerely mourn his death. The deceased was an "old soldier," and as a matter of interest to his comrades and friends we here publish in full his discharge: To All Whom It May Concern: Know Ye, That John GRANT, a Corp. of Captain D.W. Hamlin's Co. E 138th REgiment of Indiana Volunteers, who was enrolled on the 21st day of April, 1864 to serve 100 days, is hereby discharged from the service of the United States this 22nd day of September, 1864, at Indianapolis, In., by reason of expiration of term of service. No objection to his being re-enlisted is known to exist. Given at Ind. Ind. this 30th day of Sept. 1864. Daniel W. Hamlin Captain Commanding the Co. A.W. Hargrane, 1st Lt. 17th U.S. Inf., Muster officer. This was a discharge from a brief warfare, but this soldier has just received a greater and final discharge, let us hope to enter upon a more glorious existence, less tinged with sorrow and pain; for before dying he confessed Christ, and told his wife that he was ready to meet his maker.

Words of comfort and consolation were spoken to the bereaved family, and also to, the comrades of the Grand Army to which the deceased belonged. An appropriate memoir of Mr. GRANT was read, and after all present had the opportunity of viewing the remains, the casket was closed , and the Grand Army of the Republic took charge of it, and conveyed it to the cemetery, where under Commander Rob't Maxwell, the impressive burial services of the order were read. A.L. Blair took the place of Commander Maxwell, who served as chaplain, while Quartermaster M.M. McCaulley had charge of the remains. At the graves the choir sang the appropriate hymn, "When the Roll is Called up Yonder". The following old soldiers followed the remains to the cemetery: Robert Maxwell, A.L. Blair, Geo. Lockard (color bearer) J.W. Morris, M.M. McCaulley, Wm. Ogan, Abner Frey, D.S. Baker, Thomas Moran and John Baughman. The pall bearers were: Cooper, Henry Hayton, Zenas Farrington, Wm. Payne, Charles Hillis and H. O. Siler.


Everett Daily Herald

Funeral services conducted by the GAR were held for Octavius A. HAMILTON Sunday afternoon at 2 pm from the chapel of Challacombe & Fickle. Mr. HAMILTON died at the home of his daughter Mrs. Glen E. CLARE and formerly resided at Monroe and Silver Lake. He was a member of John Buford Post, G.A.R. Everett, and had been married 48 years. The Rev. George Gunter officiated at the services. The family accompanied the body to Washelli for cremation. Surviving are his wife Mrs. Maggie HAMILTON; one son Milton A. HAMILTON of Long Beach, Ca; two daughters, Mrs. Lila MOON of Seattle and Mrs. Pidge CEASE of Everett; three grandchildren, Milton of Middleport, Oh, and Howard HAMILTON; two sisters, Mrs. Thena MOORE of Cheshire, Oh and Mrs. Mary MURRAY of Pomeroy, Ohio.


DIED 1-2-1930

Thomas HAVERCROFT, 84, died at his home, 3203 Pine Street, Friday morning after a short illness. Mr. HAVERCROFT has been a resident of Everett for 39 years. He was a member of John Buford Post, G.A.R. having enlisted in 2nd Reg. Co. E. Wi. Cavalry during the Civil War. For many years he was balliff at the county courthouse. He is survived by a son, H.F. HAVERCROFT, and three daughters, Mrs. W.R. HODGINS of 2025 Pine St., Mrs. F.R. FALLER of 1001 Rucker ave and Mrs. W.S. PLOWMAN of Vader. Funreral services for Mr. HAVERCROFT will be held from the chapel of Challacombe & Fickel at 10.a.m. Monday. Interment will be in Evergreen Cemetery.



John H. HOFFEE, 84 years old, died Saturday, Dec. 31, at his home at Sultan following a bried illness. He has resided for the past thirty years in the Skykomish valley, the last eighteen in Sultan and was proprietor of the Sultan Hotel. He is survived by his wife. Mrs. Martha HOFFEE and five children, John HOFFEE, Klamath Falls, Oregon; Frank HOFFEE of Monroe, Mrs. A.M. WHITE of Sultan, Mrs M. PEDERSEN of Chariston and Henry HOFFEE of Cathlamet. Mr. HOFFEE was a vetran of the Civl War and followed General Sherman on his march to the sea. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon from the Methodist church at Sultan the Rev. Butcher of Sultan officiating. Interment under the direction of George H. Jerread was in Monroe cemetery.

Monroe IOOF Cemetery
HOFFEE Baby no info.
HOFFEE Dorothy 6/29/1889 11/19/1969
HOFFEE Flora 12/26/1938 age 59yrs
HOFFEE Frank 7/2/1889 9/4/1947
HOFFEE John A. 3/13/1874 10/9/1931
HOFFEE John H. 1843 1927
HOFFEE John M. 12/21/1902 8/5/1979
HOFFEE Martha 1854 1936
HOFFEE Thelma E. 1896 1982
HOFFEE William H. 1884 1964


Monroe Monitor


Horace H. HOUNSOM, the veteran who has been partly paralyzed for two years, and who came to Monroe a year ago last February, passed away Tuesday morning. He was 71 years old, was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan and lived for many years in Minnesota, at Howard Lake and Little Falls. He was a printer and newspaper publisher for over fifty years. He served in Company D 142nd Illinois Infantry, and was a member of G.A.R. Post 21, Little Falls, Mnn. The funeral services were held at the home of Mrs. Secord at 11 o’clock Wednesday morning, being conducted by Mrs. E. Pomeroy of Seattle, spiritualist. Burial was had under the auspices of the GAR in their cemetery at Snohomish.

Snohomish GAR Cemetery
HOUNSOM Ambrose A. 3830 1/28/1911
HOUNSOM Horace 3831 no date of death G.A.R. Veteran



Harold W. ILLMAN, former Snohomish county commissioner, died May 12 at his home on Lake Washington near Seattle. He was 85 years old. Funeral services were followed by cremation and interment beside the grave of Mrs. ILLMANs' father was in Sultan Cemetery. Deceased was born in 1843 at Little Falls, NY and was a law graduate of Columbia Uni. He was married in 1864 to Anetta GAGE. Four children were born of this union. In 1884 the family moved west and homesteaded on Skykomish river, later moving to Lake Stevens where he was engaged in milling. He took an active part in Snohomish county politics and served one term as commissioner. He was a member of Morton Post G.A.R., in Snohomish. In 1914 he and his wife sold their home on Lake Stevens and moved to the G.A.R. Veterans Colony at St. Cloud, Fl. where they spent 12 years, returning in 1926 to Everett. The next year they built a home on Lake Washington near Seattle, where he died. He is survived by the widoww and two daughters. Mr. ILLMAN formerly owned the farm near Rucker's mill which now is the Kansas camp grounds.




Ole JOHNSON, an "Old Soldier", is seriously hurt at Ferguson & McKilligan's Camp.

Monday morning at Ferguson & McKilligan's logging camp, Ole JOHNSON was struck across the stomach by the wire cable of a logging engine of which he was fireman and seriously injured. He was approaching the engine with a couple pails of water when the cable broke loose from the load and struck him throwing him about forty feet. He struck on his left shoulder which was badly bruised, and did not regain consciousness for some time. He was taken to the home of Gilbert Wick, where his injuries were attended by Dr. Oliver. He suffers severe pains, the injuries inflicted by the blow being internal. Mr. JOHNSON came here from Des Larmar, N.D. in February. He is fifty-six years old and was a soldier in the Civil War. His chances for recovery are considered poor.

Later- JOHNSON died Thursday, June 9th, at 4 o'clock, p.m., and was buried from the Lutheran church the following afternoon, under the auspices of the G.A.R., Rev. West officiating. A large number of people attended the burial, the sympathies of the people having been generally aroused by the sad occurance of his death. Deceased was born in Norway in 1836, and came to this country when 9 years old. He leaves a wife and three children in North Dakota. He was a soldier in the Civil War, belonging to the 6th Iowa cavalry, Co. D. He was in easy circumstance, having come to Washington in search of better health.

BACK to the SnoCo Civil War Veterans' OBITUARIES INDEX PAGE

BACK to the SnoCo Civil War Veterans Project MAIN PAGE

BACK to the Snohomish County, Washington MAIN PAGE

For more information about this WA GenWeb Project page,
email the County Coordinator, Marge Reid, at
Karyn Zielasko at

This Snohomish County page was updated on 29 Nov 2001

copyright © 2001 - Margaret V Reid