CEDAR VALLEY PROJECT
SOUTH COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES


CHARLES B. BREED

Charles B. BREED was born in Jo Daviess County, IL on April 10, 1853, one of the six children of A. J. BREED and Mary COOK. Charles was a carpenter until 1879, when he went to Kanss, farming for about four years, and then came to Snohomish County, where he took up a homestead near Martha Lake. He built a sawmill and cut a lot of timber that stood on his land.

In September, 1881, Charles BREED married Lilly Mairn SQUIRES, of Calhoun Co, IL, daughter of John and Luna P. SQUIRES.

Charles and Lilly BREED had six children: Laura Fern, who is the wife of A. Z. DOTY; John A., who is married and has two sons, John and Grant; Mary E., who is the wife of Raymond LINTON and has one son, Raymond, Jr.; Flora Pearl (d before 1926), wife of Charles INGALSBE, and the mother of three children, Muriel, Charles and Paul; Paul N, twin to Flora (d before 1926); and Bessie Alice, wife of Robert SCHOPPERT, and mother of three children, Robert A., Keith and Betty J.

Charles BREED was active in his community, serving two terms as Road Supervisor and several years as a member of the local school board.

HARRY G. BROWER

A native of Illinois, Harry G. BROWER was born in LaSalle County in 1856, son of Ireneas BROWER (b. New York) and Mary J. GREEN (b Ohio). Ireneas and Mary J. BROWER moved from Ohio to Illinois, homesteading 6 miles north of Ottawa. They had four children.

Harry G. BROWER came to Snohomish County in 1902, buying 160 acres near Bothell which he cleared for orchards. In 1884 he married Clara F. KAGY, daughter of Aaron KAGY (b Ohio) and Eliza MAUK (b Virginia). Harry BROWER and his wife were childless, but raised and educated two children.

SIGNE HEGGEM (nee BULIE)

Signe HEGGEM (nee BULIE) was born in Norway in 1864, daughter of Ole BULIE and Aasil NORABERG. In about 1874, her mother died, and she and her father emigrated to the US, settling in IA, eventually coming to WA where he lived with his daughter until he died in 1922.

Signe BULIE attended public school in IA, and then moved to MN, where she worked for an undertaker, trimming caskets. While in Minneapolis, she married Martin HEGGEM, also a native of Norway and son of H. and Mary HEGGEM. He had come to the US, settling in MN, where he was a cabinet maker. In 1887 he came to SnoCo, taking up a homestead, where he set up an orchard, and was also a building contractor. (The bio does not give his date of death)

Mr. and Mrs. HEGGEM had six children: Henry (died before 1926); Alma, wife of H. G. FREDERICKS of Seattle; Minnie, wife of C. E. HOVARD of Long Beach, CA; Olga, who graduated from Seattle High School in 1915, and from the State Normal School in Bellingham in 1920; Clara, who also attended the State Normal School; and Ole, who graduated from Bothell High School in 1923.

WILLIAM MORRICE
William MORRICE was born in Scotland 15 Aug 1861, son of Alec MORRICE, a stone mason, and Elizabeth MILNE, both born in Scotland. They were parents of ten children, of whom seven were still living in 1926 - one in Canada, four in the US and two remaining in Scotland.

William MORRICE attended public schools in Scotland, after which he learned the stone mason trade, at which he worked until 1881. He came to the US in that year, sailing from Liverpool on the 19th of September, the day that President Garfield was assassinated.

He located first in Maine, where he worked as a stone mason, and moved to Wisconsin in the early 1880s where he also followed that trade. While there, he married Elizabeth STEVENSON, a native of New York State; her father was born in England, and her mother in Scotland. Three children were born in Wisconsin. In 1893, Mrs. MORRICE, accompanied by her three children and her aged mother, came to Snohomish County where she bought 100 acres of heavily timbered land, on which she located. Mr. MORRICE remained at his work in the east for about three years to earn money with which to finance the operation. In 1896 he rejoined his family and devoted himself to the operation of the farm and orchard. Mrs. MORRICE was well-known for her rose garden, and grew over 100 varieties of roses.

The four children of William MORRICE and Elizabeth STEVENSON are: Agnes R., who died at the age of ten years; Jessie E., who married James HUNTER (two sons); William S., married with two sons, engaged in business in Seattle; and Ruth M. born in Washington, a graduate of high school, living at home in 1926.

William MORRICE was a member of Lodge No. 243, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; he was a member of the school board. Mrs. MORRICE and daughter Ruth were members of the Order of the Eastern Star, of which Ruth was the local chapter's secretary.

The biography notes no specific political affiliation.

CHARLES OLSON

Charles OLSON was born in Sweden on 15 Oct 1851, one of eleven children born to Lars and Christina OLSON. In 1881 he emigrated to the US, settling in Chicago; two sisters also emigrated. He remained in Chicago until 1903, when he came to Snohomish County, and purchased 79 acres near Bothell.

In 1890, in Chicago, Charles OLSON married Hulda VERLIUS, who came to the US from Sweden in 1887. They had two children; Florence C., a teacher, and Ruth M. They belonged to the Lutheran church, and Charles OLSON was a member of the Republican Party. He served eight years on the local school board.

MATHILDA REINSTEDT (nee PIERSER)

Mathilda REINSTEDT (nee PIERSER) was born in Sweden in 1861; parents were John and Johanna PIERSER. She was educated in Sweden and emigrated to the US in 1880, living in Chicago for six years, returning to Sweden. In the fall of 1886, she met and married Andrew REINSTEDT, and in 1889 they sailed to the US, coming directly to Snohomish County, where they took up a homestead and dairy farm near Bothell. Andrew REINSTEDT died in 1923.

The REINSTEDTs had five children: Ellen L, a bookkeeper in a wholesale candy house; Julia, the wife of James RIDDELL of Seattle; Mamie, the wife of Barth KAMERON of Everett; Ned, a veteran of WW1, operating the family farm; and Arthur M., of Seattle.

Mathilda REINSTEDT was a member of the Lutheran church.

SOURCE: History of Snohomish County, Washington, Vol. II (1926)


BACK to the CEDAR VALLEY PROJECT MAIN PAGE
BACK to the Snohomish County, Washington MAIN PAGE

For more information about this WA GenWeb Project page,
email the County Coordinator, Marge Reid, at
mvreid@eskimo.com

This Snohomish County page was updated on Monday, 07-Aug-2000 16:09:15 MDT

copyright © 2000 - Margaret V Reid