Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society
Family Line Research
A unique, research service of the Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society
Researchers seeking information of family in Tacoma or Pierce County, Washington records may avail themselves of a unique research opportunity provided by TPCGS researchers.
Family Line volunteers will conduct approximately a two-hour search of the records you select (listed at the bottom of this section). Or, based on your questions we will research material that we think will assist in answering your inquiry. Our donation fee schedule for this service is $20 US ($25 US for requests from outside the US). Copies of birth, marriage or death certificates require an additional fee of $20 US.
Funds generated by this research service will be used to purchase genealogical source materials or provide for member and community outreach.
To Begin the Research Process:
- Send a copy of your Family Group Sheets along with your specific questions.
- If you do not have Family Group sheets, complete the attached form and send it along with your specific questions.
- Indicate the sources you wish to have our researcher use.
- Include your full mailing address, email address and telephone number so we can contact you if questions arise.
- Include a SASE (#10 Envelope - self addressed and stamped).
- Include a check made out to TPCGS (Tacoma Pierce County Genealogical Society) for the research fee.
- Address your research requests to:
Family Line Research Chairman
Tacoma Pierce County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1952
Tacoma, WA 98401
Upon receipt of your request, a volunteer will be assigned to do the work. Upon completion of your project, a report will be mailed to you along with any documents we find. While we make no guarantee that the search will be successful, we will do our best to find something about your family members. The more information you provide, the better we will be able to complete your request. If there is additional cost involved, your researcher will contact you directly and alert you to the probable cost.
We also suggest that you might want to put a Query in our Newsletter or The Researcher (our yearly publication). Sent your query to: Query Editor - TPCGS - PO Box 1952 - Tacoma, WA 98407. There is no charge for Queries.
TPCGS Family Line Research Form
Print out a copy of this form, fill it out and mail it to the society as instructed above:
Date of your request:______________________________________________
Birth date and place:_______________________________________________
Marriage date and place:____________________________________________
Death date and place:______________________________________________
Spouse's birth date and place:________________________________________
Spouse's death date and place:________________________________________
Additional information you have on your ancestor:
What is the specific information you are seeking on this ancestor?
Resources to be used in Family Line searches:
- ____Books on History of Tacoma, Pierce County and Washington State
- ____Federal Census: 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930
- ____Naches Pass Immigrants
- ____Pierce County Births: 1891 - 1909
- ____Pierce County Burial Records
- ____Pierce County Census: 1854, 1860, 1878, 1879, 1889, 1892
- ____Pierce County Death Records: 1891 - 1907
- ____Pierce County Deeds, Index: 1890 -
- ____Pierce County Donation (land) Claims: 1849 - 1888
- ____Pierce County Marriage Records, Index: 1860 -
- ____Pierce County Naturalizations, Index 1853-1923
- ____Pierce County Newspapers
- ____Pierce County Probate Records, Index
- ____St. Peter's Parish Registry: 1873 - 1888
- ____Tacoma Death Records: 1887 - April 1891
- ____Tacoma-Pierce County Directories: 1885 - present
- ____Tacoma Schools, 1909
- ____Washington State Death Records, Index: 1907 - 1989
- ____Washington State Delayed Births, Index: 1880 - 1950