Originally complied in 1942 by Jesse William Wells
from family records and correspondence.
Typed and brought up to date by daughter Edith Wells Frazee in 1966
|Wells Family History||Page 2|
6) Daniel Wells ?
6) Rufus Wells? d: 1844
6) Martha Wells b: 1805
6) Mary Wells b: 1806
6) Samuel Wells b: 1810
6) Drusilla Wellsb: 1811
6) Edmund Wellsb: 1813
6) Freelove Wells b: 1816 (see note below)
6) Cynthia Wells b: 1817
Note: Freelove Wells, b: 1816, married Horace Warner, had 2 sons, Horace and Truman, and dau. Belinda Warner Foster. Lived during married life, and died at Holton, Michigan.
Children of 6) (x) James V. R. Wells and Sybil Westcott:
7) Peculeah (sometimes sp. Peculiar - My grandmother pronounced it Peculiah.. E. W. F) b: Peculeah Hendricks Wells, July 24, 1814. Married John Jay, had 2 children, John, Jr. and Emma. Died Mar 1, 1890 at Los Animas, Colorado.
7) Lydia Jane Wells b. Aug. 3, 1821. Died Sept. 3, 1828
7) Mary Ann Wells b. Oct 29, 1823. Married Dr. Alonzo Hutchingson, had no children, died at Parson, Kansas, Feb. 1883. One record states she died young of tuberculosis.
7) Rufus Franklin Wells, b. Jan. 16, 1826. Died Oct. 18, 1878.
7) Phoebe Miranda Wells b. April 16, 1828. Married Joseph Beach, died a year or two later, no children. Feb. 9, 1850.. Believed to have lived near Marshall, Michigan.
7) James Van Rensslaer Wells, Jr., b. Jan. 2, 1831, died at Gary, So. Dakota, Mar. 24, 1912. Married Armina LaClaire, Sept. 20, 1852. No children, but adopted tow of his sisters's, Sybil Lavine (who was called Lavine), who was widowed 3 times. Sons. Frank and Henry MaCumber.
7)(x) Paris Ellison Wells, b. May 21, 1833, d. Nov. 5, 1916. Married Anna Maria Fortune at Winona, Minn., July 4, 1855. Had 5 children, Clarence, Mina (died in infancy), Mary, Paris Elmer (known as Elmer), and Jesse William. Both Paris and wife, Ann, are buried in Montague Cemetery (Michigan). Ann Fortune Wells died at the Clarm Memorial Home in Grand Rapids, Mich. July 5, 1930, aged 93 years, 4 months, 16 days.. Paris died at son, Jesse's home in Muskegon, Mich., on Nov. 5, 1916, aged 83 years, 5 mos. 13 days. Ann Fortune's mother also buried at Montague, and father, John Fortune, in Soldier's Home Cemetery in California (Los Angeles?)
7) Sybil Lavine Wells, b. Jan 9, 1836. Married Charles Alvord, Oct. 21, 1855. Had one son Orion J., by this husband, but he was raised by the grandparents, after he was killed by a falling tree Dec. 8, 1858. Lavine marr. Moses MaCumber on Jan. 22, 1860. Had 3 sons, Frank, Henry & Moses J., Jr. fo which the 1st 2 boys were adopted by her brother James V. R. Wells, when MaCumber was killed by the explosion of a cannon in the autumn of 1868 at a political rally. Lavine marr. Leland Shaw on Aug. 6, 1876. Died at Melrose, Ark., June 2, 1914, aged 78 yr., 4 mo. 22 day. Sons:
8) Moses MaCumber, last known add.: 321 E. Broadway, Seminole, Okla.
8) Henry MaCumber Wells, has 1 dau. Bessie (Mrs. C. G. Snow,) Chicago, Ill.
7) Oren Phillip Wells, b. Aug 15, 1838. Marr. Angeline Graham about 1857. Had 3 dau.: Bertie A. Wells Marsh, b. June 11, 1862; and Sybil b. Feb. 10, 1874. Marr Homer C. Clark and all lived in Neillville, Wis. Oren Phillip Wells d. Nov. 5, 1919