Nels Johnsen Froseth
Nels Johnsen Frøseth, age 33 and his wife Guro Hustøft Frøseth, age 32, emigrated from Soknedal, Norway on May 19, 1870 on the ship Norway to Reeds Landing. Nels was born Dec. 13, 1836 and Guro was born Sept. 7, 1836. They were married in Norway, then came to the United States in 1870, locating at Menomonie, where Nels worked for Knapp Stout & Co., logging in the woods in the winter and working in the mills in summer.
Many of the old time loggers and sawmill men subsequently bought land and went farming, and so did Nels Froseth, in 1875 buying 90 acres in the town of Spring Brook. There in time he built up a fine farm, having a good set of buildings, including a comfortable residence. He subsequently added 160 acres more to the place, making a farm of 250 acres, which he cultivated and managed successfully until his death on May 10, 1899. His wife passed away in the following year, on May 31, 1900.
They had two children: John, who now owns the old homestead and Carl
who remained at home assisting his father to develop the home farm and
was thus occupied until the father's death in 1899, when he and his
brother became the owners of the place, conducting it together until
1910, when Carl sold his half interest to John who is now operating it.
For three years after selling out Carl worked on farms for others. In
the fall of 1914 he came to Caryville as manager for the Milwaukee
Elevator Co. Three years later that concern sold out to the Armour Grain
Co., who retained Mr. Froseth as buyer and manager until they sold out
in turn four years later to the R.E. Jones Company. The latter also
retained him and he is still buyer and manager for them, having proved
himself a thoroughly competent man for the position. Mr. Carl Froseth
married June 18, 1921, to Bessie E. Bryce who was born in the
town of Rock Creek, Aug. 31, 1892. He and his wife have one child, Nels
Albert, who was born Dec. 10, 1922. Mr. Froseth and family occupy a fine
bungalow residence which he built in 1921. They are members of the
Lutheran Church, Mrs. Froseth being an active worker in the Ladies Aid
Extracted from the History of Dunn County, Wisconsin (1925), p. 808, 848.
19 Mar 2002 03:34 PM
Copyright © 2002 Linda K. Schwartz
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.