Jasper Johnson, my gggrandfather on my mother's side, was b. 29Dec1836 near Bloomfield, Johnson Co., Illinois. He was the son of Peter Johnson and Sarah Harrel of Johnson Co., Illinois. He was the son of Hardy Johnson b. 1781 in North Carolina. Peter d. 1845 in Johnson Co., Illinois when Jasper was young. Jasper had a sister named Matilda and a brother named Newton. Jasper grew to adulthood in Johnson Co., where he served as postmaster and taught school. He served during the Civil War for the Union, in Co. D, 31st Illinois Volunteers. He was a Lt. and Capt. of Subs. He m. Kizziah L. Kuykendall (nee Gillespie) on 05Dec1858 in Vienna, Johnson Co., Illinois. He was discharged in 1865 and removed to Lasalle. Jasper also resided in Glen Ellyn, Lombard, Downers Grove, Chicago and Vienna before moving to Butternut, Ashland Co., Wisconsin in 1907. Jasper d. 20Feb1908 in Butternut and is buried in ! the Union Cemetery there. Jaspers children were:
1. Cynthia N. Johnson b. 03Sep1861 Vienna, Johnson Co., Illinois. She M. August Bitterich and moved to Sandpoint, Idaho.
2. Andrew J. Johnson b. 05Jan1865 Vienna, Johnson Co., Illinois .
3. Joseph B. Johnson b.10Apr1871 Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois. He m. Sidney Simpson of Johnson Co., Illinois and removed to Wisconsin about 1903 where his 3rd son John was born. He resided on Emmet St. in Two Rivers, Manitowac Co. for sometime and took the 1930 census there He also took the 1920 census there. He resides in Butternet, Ashland Co., Wisconsin in 1908 when Jasper died. It is possible tha this descendents live in that area today.
4. Charles A. Johnson b. 24Mar1873 in Braidwood, Will Co., Illinois, and m. Irene E. Hart on 21Sep1900 in Lombard, Dupage Co., Illinois. Charles removed shortly after to Idaho, then Washington where he d. 18Aug1948.
5. Walter S. Johnson b. 11Sep1876 and m. Arista Ann Simpson 22Mar1896. No death date available but is buried at the Gilead Cemetery, Johnson Co., Illinois.
6. Fred V, Johnson b. Oct 1879, Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois.
7. Fredrick Johnson b. 01Feb1882 in LaSalle, Lasalle Co., Illinois.