Search billions of records on

Obituary of Henry N. Forsyth - April 22, 1924

Green Bay Gazette.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
April 22, 1924


Henry Forsyth Fatally Injured;
Autoists Held on Drunken Driving Charges
(Picture on Page 13)

Charges of manslaughter may be lodged against Fred Schultz, railway carpenter, 812 Howard St., as the result of the death of Henry N. Forsyth, civil war veteran and inmate of the Old Soldier's Home at Wauwatosa, who died in St. Mary's Hospital five hours after being run down by Schutlz's automobile Saturday night. \par \par Louis Watermolen, truckman, 1101 Howard St., who accompanied Schultz is also being held. Both men were arrested on charges of driving while intoxicated. Employees of the garage where the car was placed in storage by the police assert that they found a bottle of liquor in one of the side pockets. \par \par A coroner's inquest is being held this afternoon.

The accident occurred just before 9'oclock Saturday evening at the intersection of Walnut and Jefferson Sts. Forsyth was on his way to the home of his sister, Mrs. Frank Goniou, 715 S. Jeffer son St. with whom he was staying, from the home of his niece, Mrs. Jennie Vannelson, on St. George St, where he had spent the evening. He stepped down on Walnut St at the McIntrye-Burrall corner and attempted to cross the thoroughfare.

Meanwhile on the so uth side of the street, Schultz's car was approaching from the west. It's speed was estimated by witnesses as at least 25 miles an hour; some say the lights were not burning. Forsyth was struck by the right side of the radiator, and hurled through the air for fifteen feet or more, witnesses say. Then, they declare, the aged man was dragged for a distance and finally the wheels of the machine passed over his legs, fracturing one of them.

Asked "What Happened."

The car, which had swerved to the left side o f the street at the impact and then back again, stopped for an instant, but speeded up the motor again. After bystanders shouted to stop and he pulled in to the curb. Watermolen got out of the car with some difficulty, the witnesses assert.

Schultz's first question, according to bystanders was, "What happened".

Meanwhile, William Barry, 216 Oxford St., attendant at the Standard Oil filling station on the corner, and D.J. Althouse, sheet-metal worker, 819 Doty St., both of whom had witnessed the accident, ran to the aid of the injured man. Assisted by Joseph C. Bosse, of the City News depot, who had just driven up. Forsythe was placed in a passing automobile, the name of whose driver was not learned, and rushed to St. Mary's hospital.

He was conscious, and , according to Mr. Althaus, asked for his hat when he was picked up. He retained consciousness until a short time before his death, which occurred five hours after the accident. Shock from the fracture of his leg was the cause of death, according to Dr. R .L. Cowles, who attended him. In view of his advanced age - he was 84 - the accident could scarcely have terminated other than fatally, in view of the extent of his injuries, Dr. Cowles said.

Schultz and Watermolen were held while Barry call the police. They were lodged in jail on charges of driving while intoxicated. When word of Forsyth's death was received they were taken to the county jail to await

(Pg. 13) Continued:

G.A.R. VET HIT BY AUTO; TWO HELD (Continued from Page One) the outcome of the coroners inquest. If the Coroners jury acquits them of blame, they will still face the drunken driving charges, police said. In case they are tried for manslaughter, the minor count probably will be dropped.

Inquest This Afternoon

Coroner Gregoire Biemeret and Dist. Atty. R.E. Evard were notified. Coroner Biemeret impaneled a jury, which viewed the body at the Findelsen-Basten undertaking establishment, 924 Main St. and the inquest was set for 2'oclock at the courthouse.

Brakes on the Schultz car, a Chevrolet, worked perfectly, according to garage employees who tested them at the request of the district attorney. At a speed of 25 miles an hour, the car was stopped in 30 feet. Witnesses say that after the accident the car went at least 100 feet before stopping, although the slippery condition of the street on Saturday night due to the snow and rain would prevent as quick a stop as under other conditions.

It was said at the garage that the lights were in working order, except that the right light had been broke n loose by the impact with Forsyth's body. When the car came to a stop, witnesses declare, the headlights were not burning and Joseph Bosse who was driving a few feet behind the Schultz car declared that the tail light was out prior to the accident. Garag e men say that on a Chevrolet car the wiring is so arranged that the headlights cannot be lighted without lighting the tail light.

Born in Tanktown

Forsyth, who is an inmate of the Old Soldiers' Home at Wauwautosa, was here on a 90-day furlough to visit his sister, Mrs. Goniou. He was to have celebrated his 84th birthday Easter Sunday.

He was born in "Tanktown", Green Bay's south side, in 1840, the son of Mr. And Mrs. Jerome Forsyth. A few years after his birth, the family moved to Bay Settlement and went to farming. When he was 21 he enlisted with Co. B. Wisconsin Volunteers, and served through the Civil War losing his right arm, as the result of a wound received in battle. After his return from service he lived on the the Bay Settlement farm until four or five years ago when he went to the Old Soldiers Home at Wauwautosa.

He is survived by four sisters and three brothers, the sisters are Mrs. Paul Zeutzius, of Bay Settlement; Mrs. Ed Belanger, of Menominee, Mrs. Frank Guniou, of this city and Miss Sophie Forsyth, of Bay Settlement. The brothers are Chris, of Bay Settlement, Charles of Flintville and Frank of White Lake.

No funeral arrangements have yet been made, but it is probable that services will be held from the Findelsen-Basten chapel.

Submitted by: Jan R Dorn