DANE COUNTY AREA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
This is a work-in-progress
to describe the databases available without charge to patrons of the Madison, Wisconsin, Family History Center, other than those provided by the Family History Library and associated organizations.
- Footnote: They describe their service as The place for original documents online. What is available at the FHC includes the ability to have free personal accounts (this allows one to keep some personal notes regarding data on the footnote.com website). You can browse the list of documents avialble from their Browse List web page.
- Godfrey Memorial Library: This is a bricks-and-mortar genealogy and history library located in Middletown, Connecticut, which makes many subcription databases available to its own subscribers and to FHC patrons; some of these databases are ones they have created, but most are created and maintained elsewhere. The major databases available are listed on their subscription web page; two databases on this list which are NOT available at FHCs are NewspaperARCHIVE.com and World Vital Records.
- World Vital Records: As this sentence is being written, they describe their service as Affordable access to 999,745,815 Names in 6,498 Databases; these number are both increasing daily. A guide to the databases available can be viewed on their content listing web page.
- FamilyLink: This is a social networking service, to use the computer jargon of the day, rather than a resource for public data. They describe their service as Create Your Family Tree and Connect with Genealogists from All Over the World, Free! FamilyLink and World Vital Records have common ownership.
- HeritageQuest Online: The databases available from this service are listed on
the HeritageQuest Online home page. (Note: this service is also available for home use by anyone with a library card for any of the libraries in the South Central Library System.)
- Genline: Data from Swedish archives (this IS now available). The nature of the Swedish data available from this service can be seen on the Genline home page
- Kindred Konnections®: An introduction to the types of data available can be viewed on the Kindred Konnections® home page. Plans to make this available at most FHCs have been announced, but not yet implemented.
- Selected databases from <ancestry.com>:
Seventeen Ten of the databases included in various subscriptions are available at all FHCs. A list of these remaining databases can be seen at <www.ancestry.com/fhc/dblist.aspx>; note that most all of these databases include just the indexes only the 1920 U.S. census database includes the actual data images. (At the beginning of March 2008 there were forty-three Ancestry databases including two other three U.S. censuses complete with images available at FHCs, according to files on the <ancestry.com> website.)
There have been
visitors to this page since 16 March 2008.
Return to the DCAGS home page
This site is maintained by Rollie Littlewood
Copyright © 2008 by Dane County Area Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without our consent.
This page was last modified on 5 April 2008