|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
Ackerman, James O. (M. D.)
James O. Ackerman, M. D., Mayville; born in Morristown, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., Nov. 19, 1841; came to Byron, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., with his parents in 1847; here he attended school, and resided until 1861, when he enlisted in the 3d W. V. I.; was with the army of the Potomac at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Cold Harbor, Brandy Station, second Manassas, Wilderness and Mine Run. Having re-enlisted in the 6th U. S. Reg. Cavalry, he was with Stoneman and Sheridan on their famous raids. The Doctor was wounded in the left knee at Funkstown, Md.; he was in several battles and minor fights not herein mentioned, and was honorably discharged in June, 1864. He began the study of medicine at Sheboygan Falls, Wis., with Dr. Vestey; graduated from the Detroit Homeopathic Medical School in 1872; settled in Mayville, in 1874, and practiced until 1876, when he entered the Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, graduating in 1877; has since practiced in Mayville. He married Oct. 1, 1864, Miss Libbie H. Townsend, of Orleans Co., N. Y.; they have three children--Mabel M. C., Jessie E. and George W. The Doctor is Independent in politics, and is in accord with Christianity. He is a member of Mayville Lodge, No. 200, I. O. O. F.
Ackerman, John N.
John N. Ackerman, retired farmer; born in New York State April 22, 1812; son of Jonathan A. Ackerman, who was born and brought up in Saratoga Co., N. Y.; John N. came to Green Bay, Wis., in 1836, and came to Waupun in 1841; entered eighty acres in what is now the city of Waupun; there were none but Indians here when he came; he was a carpenter by trade, and put up the first frame building in Fond du Lac; there were only four families there then, and about the same number in Oshkosh; Mr. Ackerman is the oldest of the old settlers in this part of the country, and his stories of ye old times are amusing, and should be preserved. Mr. Ackerman married, October, 1843, Hannah A. Ford, daughter of Chester Ford, one of the earliest and most respected citizens of Wisconsin; children are George V. (living in Dodge Co.), Marion (married S. J. Sumner, living in Waupun), Charles H. (living at home), Alice (living in Green Lake Co.), Fred (living at home), Edna (living in Dodge Co.), Frank (living in Dodge Co.). Mr. Ackerman has a fine farm of 170 acres, 130 acres in the city of Waupun; he was for twenty years Justice of the Peace, and twice President of the village, and was the first Mayor of the city of Waupun.
Joel Adams, farmer, Sec. 3; P. O. Minnesota Junction; born in Warren Co., N. Y., Dec. 2, 1822; son of Joseph Adams, who died about 1824; his father was from Philadelphia and of old Quaker stock; in the town of Independence, Penn., is a church built by the Adams family over two hundred years ago. Mr. Joel Adams went to New York City in 1844; was there four years; then went to California by way of the Isthmus, and reached there Oct. 1, 1849; kept a bakery in San Francisco; half the people lived in tents at that time; afterward went to Marion Co. and went to raising stock; left California in March, 1860, and went to New York, New Jersey and to Illinois, and came to Oak Grove in June, 1860 and settled on 120 acres and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits ever since; has now one of the finest creameries and milk-houses in the county; house 16X24 feet and 12 feet to roof; makes about one hundred pounds butter a week, all first-class and finds a very ready market. Married, Oct. 24, 1860, Elizabeth E. Winter, daughter of Daniel Winter, of New Jersey; have had four children--Mary E., born Sept. 14, 1861; George, born Oct. 19, 1862; Frank, born May 28, 1864, and Alice, born April 4, 1866; Mary E. died in September, 1862. Mr. Adams has been on the Town Board.
Ernest Adelmeyer, blacksmith and wagon-maker, Sec. 28; P. O. Kekoskee; born in Prussia Feb. 14, 1850, son of Gottfried Adelmeyer, who was also a blacksmith; he came to America in 1854, and settled on a farm in Le Roy, working on the farm and at his trade till his death, Oct. 16, 1872. His son, Ernest, was educated in the county, and learned his trade after his father died; built his present shop in 1875; does general blacksmithing and manufactures wagons, carriages, sleighs, cutters, harrows, etc. He married Miss Amelia Reese June 27, 1874; they have three children--Katherine, Caroline and Amelia. In politics, a Republican; he is now Supervisor of his town; is in religion a Roman Catholic.
Max Alber, proprietor Western Hotel, Rubicon; born in Germany in 1842; came to Wisconsin in 1868, locating at Rubicon, where he opened a blacksmith-shop in the village of Rubicon and also purchased two acres of land; in 1878, he started the Western Hotel, which business he is at present engaged in. Married, in 1869, Miss Mary Hahn, a native of Wisconsin; they have had three children--Mary J., born in 1870; Frederick A., 1877; Francisco, 1879. Democrat in politics; family are members of the Catholic Church.
Gottlieb Albert, proprietor of Albertís Hotel and Restaurant, Mayville; born in Russia Jan. 6, 1821. At the age of 21, he went to Prussia and served five years in the Prussian Army; came to America in 1852, locating in Mayville. He learned the trade of carpenter, wagon maker and millwright in Prussia. Began business as blacksmith and wagon-maker in Mayville, and sold out his shop and factory in 1872; sold Waupun pumps for some time, but has turned over the business to his son Julius. In 1878, he raised his hotel, leveled off its site and built another story under the original building. Mr. Albert is a Democrat; has been member of the Town, Village and School Boards, Street Commissioner, etc. He controlled the building of the first iron bridge in Mayville. Married Miss Charlotte Schaal in 1853; they have five children living--Julius, Emma, William, Bertha and Alvina.
John Albert, Mayville; born in Mecklenburg in 1828; came to America in 1853; resided six months in Oshkosh, and over a year in Watertown; settled in Mayville in 1856; here he worked more than twenty years in the Mayville turning-shop. He married Miss Louisa Kinkle in 1859; they have two children--Amelia and Charles. Mr. Albert is Independent in politics. He retired from business in 1876. Owns ten acres of land adjoining the village, where he has built a good home.
William Albrecht, blacksmith and wagon-maker, Mayville; born in Prussia Oct. 30, 1848; came to America at the age of 2 years with his parents, locating on a farm near Mayville; has spent his life and was educated in Dodge Co. Began his business in Mayville in 1872; has been very successful. He married Miss Caroline Bahl Jan. 1, 1874; they have two children--Edwin and William. Mr. Albrecht is a Democrat; has been and is now a member of the Village Board. Is also a member of the Mayville Lodge, No. 200, I. O. O. F.
Allard, J. G.
J. G. Allard, firm of Allard & Martin, dealers in general merchandise, Juneau; was born in Pierreville, District of Three Rivers, Lower Canada, Sept. 10, 1850; when he was 14 years of age, he came West with his parents, who settled in Dakota Territory; his father is still living; his mother, however, died in June, 1868; Mr. Allard remained w ith his parents, assisting them on the farm, until he was 16 years of age, when, having determined to carve out his own fortunes, he first came to Chicago and engaged as clerk in a grocery, and afterward in a dry goods and furnishing store, until he was 19 years of age, when he went to Menominee, Mich., and opened a grocery store, which he afterward sold out and engaged in the employ of Ludington, Wells & Van Schaick Co. until the year 1878, when he came to Juneau and formed a copartnership with Frank Martin (formerly of Whitehall, N. Y.), under the firm name of Allard & Martin, in the general merchandise business, which they have built up to be the largest at that point; they are engaged also in the buying and selling of produce mostly over the whole county, and run the only hay-press in the county for shipping purposes. Mr. Allard married Miss Margaret Morean, of Plattsburg, N. Y., May 31, 1876; they have one child--Henry D.
Charles Allen, attorney and counselor at law, Horicon; born in Morrisville, Madison Co., N. Y., June 28, 1836; was educated and studied law in his native State; was admitted to the bar in Cooperstown, N. Y., at the age of 21; began practice in Vernon, Oneida Co., N. Y.; came to Mayville, Dodge Co., Wis., in the fall of 1858, and began practice; here he resided a great part of the time until January, 1872, when he removed to Horicon. Mr. Allen is a Democrat in politics, and was County Superintendent of Schools for the East District of Dodge Co. six years; was appointed to fill the vacant District Attorney's office in 1872; has been Town Superintendent of Schools under the old system; was President of the Village Board, Town Clerk, and is now Village Clerk. He married Miss Eliza North Oct. 8, 1866; they have two children--Charles E. and Florence E. Mr. Allen is an active member of Horicon Lodge, No. 40, A., F. & A. M.
Allen, Theo. E.
Theo. E. Allen, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Juneau; born in Jefferson Co., N. Y., April 9, 1815; son of Tillinghast Allen, who came from Rhode Island and died about 1817; Mr. Theo. E. came to Wisconsin in 1845, settling on eighty acres in Oak Grove and built a shanty of only one room; there were no fences and few roads; no houses at Juneau and none this side of the river at Beaver Dam; Mr. Allen now has a fine residence through his frugality and industry. Married, Dec. 1, 1840, Martha Jane Moulton, daughter of David Moulton, of New Hampshire; David was in the war of 1812; he died at the age of 75 in October, 1868; they have had four children--Eugene M. (married Betsy Farnsworth and is living in Colfax Co., Neb.), Emma Jane (married Cyril Vesper and is living in this town), Sanford B. (living in Nebraska), Myra (has been teaching school in this county. Eugene M. was a brave soldier in the 1st W. V. C., and was in engagements at Strawberry Plains and Cape Girardeau; was honorably discharged.
Althouse, M. J.
M. J. Althouse, of Althouse, Wheeler & Co.; born in Pennsylvania Aug. 10, 1828; was most of his early days in Tompkins Co., N. Y., where he used to work out part of the day, and run a sawmill all night; in this way he earned enough money to start for the Great West, and came to Waupun in the fall of 1849; had 50 cents in his pocket when he reached here; he worked at 50 cents per day at any work he could get hold of; took land on shares, sat up nights making baskets, and turned the baskets over for labor on his farm; the first winter he lived here, he walkad [sic] miles every morning to chop wood for three shillings a cord; used to work into the night sometimes, and pile the wood by moonlight; he was "pegging away" while other men slept. Mr. Althouse owes his success in a large degree to his own hard exertions; he always was busy, no time wasted; in 1852, he went to drilling wells and running thrashing machines, and, in 1855, made his first pump; went out into the woods and cut his own timber, and worked away and improved it, till now he has the finest wood pump manufactured in the United States; in 1873, he commenced making windmills; this branch of the business has grown to an enormous extent; these windmills are superior to any manufactured, and are shipped to all parts of the United States, and to foreign countries; 300 were annually sent to India, and were transported to different places on mules' backs; they have also made large shipments to New Zealand. As business increased, Mr. Althouse had to look around for suitable men for partners, to assume a share of the cares and responsibilities, and the business is now eminently successfully carried on, under the firm name of Althouse, Wheeler & Co. Mr. Althouse's success is a brilliant example of the fruits of persistent effort, strict attention to one line of business, and sturdy integrity. There was no loafing in his younger days, and there is nothing in the nature of the gentleman to indicate that he will ever depart from his first and well-fixed principles; thus true merit gains its own reward.
Alward, Mrs. William
Mrs. William Alward, Sec. 6; P. O. Randolph; is a native of Norfolk, Litchfield Co., Conn.; born Jan. 16, 1800; when 8 years old, she, with parents, removed to Cortland Co., N. Y., where, in 1820, she married Mr. Ely Hubbard, who died in a little more than six months after marriage; in 1827, she married Mr. William Hubbard, with whom she lived in York State till his death, in 1844; in 1846, with a family of five children, she had the resolution to try the wilds of Wisconsin, and to make her home among the pioneers of Dodge County; she is doubtless the only pioneer widow who came to this county to make it her home under such circumstances. She bought a farm of 134 acres in Sec. 6, Westford, to which her daughter has since added 40 acres; she has four children--William W., now of Los Angeles, Cal.; Nathaniel P., of Lewis Co., Minn.; Louisa, Mrs. George Knowles, of Milwaukee; Elizabeth. Mr. Alward had two daughters by first marriage--Harriet, deceased, and Mary, now Mrs. Bancroft, of Romeo, McComb Co., Mich. The family are connected with the Baptist Church.
Joachim Alwart, farmer; P. O. Watertown; born in Gemany in 1831; he came to America in 1851. Married Miss Albertena Betow, of Johnstown, Rock Co., Wis., and lived there till 1866, when he moved to Watertown, bought a farm of 144 acres within the city limits and upon which he now lives; he has five children--John, Bertha, Herman, George and William. Mr. Alwart has been a prominent member of the Lutheran Church and has been a Trustee of the same for five years.
James Ames, butcher; born in the town of Macedon, Wayne Co., N. Y., July 4, 1844; the year of his birth his parents, with their family, removed to WIsconsin and engaged in farming; located on Section 22, in town of Emmett, Dodge Co.; James was engaged in farming pursuits until he commenced his present business in 1878. He married Lizzie Darling Feb. 8, 1874; she was born in town of Emmett, Dodge Co., Wis. They have two children--Mary and Lizzie. Mr. and Mrs. Ames are members of the Catholic Church; Mr. Ames was Town Clerk in Emmett Township, Dodge Co., for two years; he was President of St. Bernard's Temperance and Benevolent Society of Watertown; he was a delegate to the Catholic Total Abstinence Convention, of America, which was held in Chicago in October, 1874.
James Anderson, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Horicon; born in Manchester, Vt., Oct. 9, 1782; son of Andrew Anderson, who was born in New Hampshire; was of Scotch descent; he fell off a mountain-side in Ohio in 1816 and was killed, at the age of 57 years. James married, in Manchester, Nov. 27, 1814, Mabel Collins, daughter of Nathaniel Collins; the family were from Connecticut; they moved to Loraine Co., Ohio, at an early date when it was all woods; went through many hardships and came to Oak Grove in 1844 and have been here ever since, and through his frugality has now a comfortable home and eighty acres under fine cultivation. Had four children by his first wife--Ralph R., Susan A., Andrew and Nathaniel C.; his wife died in the fall of 1821. Married Stacy Holt; had five children--Calvin, Sarah, William W., Helen and Henry; his second wife died April 29, 1835. Married, in 1837, Amanda Norton, of Connecticut; had one child--Mary J.; she married A. Herrick and is living in Colorado. Mr. Anderson was a brave soldier in the war of 1812 and is now receiving a pension for his valiant services.
Antone, Mrs. Elizabeth
MRS. ELIZABETH ANTONE, widow, Sec. 20; P. O. Beaver Dam; her maiden name was Elizabeth Pye; born in Wisconsin. Married, in Oneida Co., NY, Mr. Thomas Antone, a cabinetmaker, who was born in Chenango Co., NY; they came to Wisconsin in 1953; located at Menasha, where he worked at his trade until his death, Feb. 1, 1854; they had five sons, four of whom entered the army during the rebellion; Benjamin and Cornelius enlisted in Fond du Lac, in the Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; Abraham and Joseph enlisted in Co. D, 26th New York Volunteer Infantry; Benjamin was lost in the army; Charles H. died, and the others are still living; Mrs. Antone died in the fall of 1879.
Charles Arenberg, cooper, Sixth Ward, Dodge Co.; born in Brunswick, Germany, Oct. 8, 1832; came to America in July, 1854; located in Milwaukee; came to Watertown in May, 1856. He was married in Milwaukee, in June, 1855, to Mary Dittes; she was born in Baden, Germany; they have had three children; one died in infancy; the living are Otelle and Ernst. Mr. Arenberg is one of the oldest coopers in the State; he has been engaged in the business ever since he came to the country; he is one of the leading citizens of the city; he has been Supervisor; is now President of Concordia Musical Society, having held that position several times. He has been President of the Northwestern Saengerbund, and is at present a member of that society; he is a member of the Sons of Hermann and has been President of the same, also has held presidency of the Grand Lodge.
Joseph Armitage, farmer, Sec. 24, Hustisford, Secs. 19 and 30, Rubicon; P. O. Neosho; born in England in 1811; came to Wisconsin in 1846, locating in Hustisford, where he purchased 40 acres, afterward adding 280, his present homestead; Mr. A. is one of the old settlers, and a very successful farmer, raising both stock and grain. Married, in 1830, Miss Mary Sykes, a native of England; have had eleven children, nine living. Assessor, Treasurer School District twenty-five years, also a member of the Masonic Lodge, No. 108, Neosho; Justice of the Peace twelve years. Republican in politics.
RICHARD ARMS, deceased; was the son of Charles Arms; born in Chittenden Co., Vt., June 26, 1817, where he followed farming till 1854; then removed to the town of Randolph, Columbia Co., Wis.; here he bought a farm of 320 acres, and for fourteen years lived the life of an honest farmer; in the fall of 1868, he removed to the village of Randolph, and left his son to manage the farm, yet he was constantly passing back and forth to his farm, looking after it till his death, July 4, 1879. Rev. J. T. Woodhead, Pastor of the M. E. Church, of Randolph, at the time of his death, says: "Richard Arms had retired from the village Fourth of July celebration to his farm four miles from the village, when he at once ceased to work and live." The shock upon our citizens was great; Brother Arms was so well known and so highly respected; he was one of those Christian laymen, who pay the lingering balance of the old church debt themselves, rather than annoy the people a second or third time, saying to his good wife, "You know it is all for Him who gave Himself for us;" he was converted at the age of 15, in Vermont, and his presence has been light and help to the church ever since; his earnest prayers were refreshing; before ascending, he anointed a successor in his son. April 4, 1842, he married Miss Lucy H., daughter of John B. and Eliza Larrabee, of Lancaster, Vt., whom he left a widow with one son; they having had one daughter--Mary J., deceased; their son, Myron F., who was born in Goshen, Vt., April 25, 1847, came West with parents in 1854; was educated in Lawrence University, of Appleton, Wis. Sept. 3, 1867, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Robert and Abigail Lyons, of Braintree, Orange Co., Vt.; he devoted his attention to farming, till failing health compelled him to seek medical aid; in July, 1879, he returned from Danville, N. Y., where he had gone to recuperate and to attend his father's funeral, and in a little more than six weeks he was buried at his side. He was a faithful member of the M. E. Church, and, in the language of Rev. J. T. Woodhead, "had the elements and character of a noble, Christian manhood;" he was the father of seven children, six of whom, with their mother, survive him--their names are as follows: Arthur M., deceased; Jennie, Richard, Lucy, Walter, James and Jesse.
Arnold, Charles F.
Charles F. Arnold; P. O. Juneau; born in Tioga Co., N. Y., Feb. 29, 1844; son of Samuel Arnold, who ran a saw-mill, and was engaged in the lumber and livery business for many years; he came to Oak Grove, Wis., in 1846, and settled on eighty acres, and carried on farming many years, and then located in Juneau, and now, together with his son, carries on an express business; his father, Oliver, was a sea captain; sailed to the West Indies; he and his brother were soldiers in the Revolutionary war. Samuel married a daughter of Whitcomb Phelps, of New York State, and had ten children. Charles F. enlisted Oct. 8, 1861, in the 10th W. V. I.; served under Gen. Buell and Gen. Thomas; was wounded, at the battle of Perryville, in the arm by a minie ball; then went into the Quartermaster's Department, at Nashville, and was in that department till the close of the war, when he was employed by the C. & N. W. R. R., between Boone and Council Bluffs; while in the employ, he met with an accident at Grand Junction, and lost his leg; he then settled in Juneau, and is now living with his father; has a fine stock of blooded horses--Flying Cloud stock and Norman breed. Frank, a brother, was a brave soldier, and was shot in the head and arm at Baxter Springs; is in Lamar. Miss Lugene married David Barber; Amelia is the wife of A. R. Horn, Roadmaster of the C. & N. W. R. R.; Emma married Mr. F. Smith; Sarah is at home; Edward is yardmaster of the rolling mills at Bay View, Milwaukee; Lelia, Mary and Harry are at home.
Ashley, Daniel D.
Daniel D. Ashley, Randolph; was born in Whitesboro, Oneida Co., N. Y., in 1810; is the son of Daniel and Hetty Ashley, natives of New Hampshire, when 6 years old, went to West Bloomfield, Ontario Co., and made that his home till 16 years of age; he then removed to Allegany Co., N. Y., followed farming till 1844. Here he married Mis [sic] Clarissa, daughter of Jonathan and Clarissa Butterfield, a native of Jefferson, N. Y.; in the summer of 1844, he came to Westford, Dodge Co., and reached his father's home July 10; they have had six children, three of whom are living--Cooper N., whose biography occurs in this work; Hettie, now Mrs. Milton Palmerley, of Jonesville, Hillsdale Co., Mich.; Sylivia, now Mrs. L. D. Clark, of Stoughton, Dane Co., Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Ashley are members of the Baptist Church.
Ashley, Cooper N.
Cooper N. Ashley, Randolph; is a son of Daniel D. and Clarissa, whose biographical sketch appears above; Cooper was born in Allegany Co., N. Y., Dec. 25, 1835; when about 9 years old, he, with his father's family, came to the town of Westford, July 10, 1844, and settled on a farm of 108 acres, in Sec. 8, which has since been his home; at the time of their settlement there was not a house within twenty miles of them on the west, and only two between them and Fox Lake; Beaver Dam then consisted of a few small shanties; the old open-cylinder was their thresher; they often had the pleasure of waiting three or four weeks for a grist of wheat at the mill. Dec. 29, 1859, he married Miss Jennie, daughter of William and Ann Williams, of Watertown, Jefferson Co., N. Y., she being a native of Oswego Co., N. Y.; they have two daughters--Miss Hattie and Miss Mary. He now owns a farm of 159 acres in Secs. 8 and 17, Westford. Mr. Ashley was the first man to deliver a load of wheat in the village of Randolph; it was sold to Mr. G. W. Gould, in August, 1857; he has been a member of the Town Board for several terms. Such is a brief life history of one of the earliest and most prominent settlers of Westford.
WILLIAM ASHTON, blacksmith; born in England July 30, 1820, and came to Wisconsin July 17, 1849, locating at Beaver Dam; he served an apprenticeship of seven years at his trade in England; he then went to New York City, and worked as a journeyman for three years; he then came to Beaver Dam, and bought out Shaw & Haskell's wagon and blacksmith shop, and carried on blacksmithing until the breaking-out of the war; in the fall of 1862, in connection with Wm Keieger, under the firm name of Ashton & Keieger, bought out John Thompson, and continued for three years; he then sold out, and, in partnership with Mr. Hanson, firm of Hanson & Ashton, bought a bankrupt stock of dry goods and groceries, and continued in this business for three years; he then bought a lot of Mr. Bower, on Front street, built a blacksmith-shop, and is now carrying on the business at this place. He enlisted May 10, 1861, in Co. D, 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Col. Cobb, and was engaged in the battles of Lee's Mills and Williamsburg; he was then detailed into the brigade blacksmith shop, in the shoeing department; on account of rheumatic fever, he received his discharge June 21, 1862; in 1878 he was elected Alderman of the Third Ward, which office he now holds. He married, Aug. 12, 1847, Mary Feron, of New York City; he has three children--William G., Mary E. and Isabella E. Mrs. Ashton is a member of the First Presbyterian Church.
Atwater, A. H.
A. H. ATWATER, farmer, Secs. 31 and 32; P. O. Oak Grove; born in Monroe Co., N. Y., Sept. 1, 1816; son of Ichabod Atwater, whose father was from Connecticut, and originally of English origin; Ichabod died in 1856, in Monroe Co.; was one of the first settlers in that county; Allen H. started out for the West in 1840, and purchased forty acres in Oak Grove, and returned to New York; came again to Wisconsin, and to Oak Grove in 1842; settled on Secs. 31 and 32; there was only one house between his place and Watertown, and stumps stood in the street in Watertown; no stores then. Mr. Atwater was the earliest settler in this section of the county; he has now a fine farm of 220 acres, and everything pertaining to a first-class farm. Married, in 1842, Eliza A. Parmelee, daughter of Deacon P. W. Parmelee, of Genesee Co., N. Y.; have had nine children--Burton C. is in Iowa Falls, Iowa; Mary is in Bloomington, Ill.; Melvina E. is in Wright Co., Iowa; Emery A is with Armour & Co., Chicago Stock Yards; Regina is in Humboldt Co., Iowa; Horatio is in Dakota; Ichabod is in Dakota; Lillian and Louisa are at home. Burton C. was a brave soldier in a Wisconsin regiment during the war; served faithfully, and was honorably discharged. Mr. Atwater has been Justice of the Peace and Supervisor many times, and also County Treasurer; was a member of the Legislature in 1854, 1870 and 1871; is an early settler, and one of the most respected citizens of the town.
ALLEN AUSTIN, farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Danville; son of Moses T. Austin, who came to Jefferson Co., Wis., about 1844; he settled on the farm where his son now resides in 1846, where he resided until his death, which occurred about 1852; Allen was born on the farm where he now resides, in 1850. He was married to Kate Morse, daughter of Andrew J. Morse; have three children--Lee, Raymond and Florence; farm consists of 174 acres.
Austin, Samuel M.
SAMUEL M. AUSTIN, farmer, Sec. 2; P. O. Danville; was born in Grafton Co., N. H., in December, 1829; his parents, Samuel and Mercy Austin, removed to Pennsylvania in 1832, thence to Ohio in 1834, and to Jefferson Co., Wis., July 3, 1844; afterward to Elba Township, Dodge Co., Sec. 34, where they resided till their death. Mr. Austin was married to Philena Adams, whose parents settled in Jefferson Co. in 1840, and came to Elba Township, Dodge Co., in 1845; have six children--Martha, Abbie and Adda (twins), Mary, Anna and Samuel; Mr. Austin is among the earliest settlers and largest farmers of Dodge Co.; has 800 acres of land; is engaged extensively in stock raising.
Babcock, Dr. J. H.
DR. J. H. BABCOCK was born in Brookfield, Madison Co., NY, on Sept. 19, 1826, and came to Wisconsin June 5, 1848, locating at Noyes' Corners, where he engaged in the practice of medicine for one year; he graduaterd at the Castleton Medical College, Castleton, VT., and in 1850, came to Beaver Dam, where he engaged in the practice of his profession; in 1855, he was elected Town Treasurer and in 1856, he was City Treasurer of Beaver Dam; in 1856, he started a drug store, which was burned down in 1862; in 1862, he was appointed U. S. Collector for the Fourth Collection District of Wisconsin; in 1865, he was elected a member of the SchoolBoard, which position he has held for twelve years. Dr. Babcock married, Sept. 23, 1849, Mary M. Whitaker, of Massachusetts; he has two children living--Mary Jeanette and Benj. F. Butler.
Andrew Bachhuber, merchant and farmer, Farmersville; born in Farmersville Nov. 30, 1857; he is a son of Max Bachhuber, who was born in Bavaria Dec. 13, 1832, and came to America in 1846, first locating in Addison, Washington Co., Wis., then removing to Milwaukee where he lived until 1855, when he settled in Le Roy, Dodge Co.; here he owned a farm and store, and held many town offices; was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature in 1860, 1864 and 1875; serving as Postmaster of Farmersville nine years, and resigning in favor of his wife in 1875, who in turn resigned in 1879. Mr. Bachhuber died Feb. 2, 1879, leaving a wife and ten children. He was a Democrat in politics, and a Roman Catholic in religion. His son Andrew was educated in the Mayville High School, and is now in charge of the farm and store, where he has a general stock of dry goods, groceries, hardware, tinware, crockery, patent medicines, notions, etc. He, like his honored father, is a Democrat and a Catholic; was appointed Town Clerk to fill his father's place at his death, and received every vote cast in his town for the office, March, 1879.
JOHN BAER, manufacturer of furniture; Neosho; born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1830; came to Wisconsin in 1853, locating at Milwaukee, where he engaged in the manufacture of furniture for three years; he then moved to Rubicon, opening a furniture factory at Neosho, which business he is at present engaged in. Married, in 1858, Miss Caroline Abel, a native of Germany. He enlisted in the 34th W. V. I.; was discharged on account of sickness; he was afterward drafted again but sent a substitute. He is at present Supervisor. Independent in politics.
MATHIAS BAER, deceased, was born in Germany April 8, 1817; at the age of 14 he bagan the carpenter and joiner's trade, which he followed till 1853, in 1853, he came to America, and settled in South Beaver Dam, Dodge Co., Wisconsin, for one year, then removed to the town of Calamus for ten years and followed farming; in 1870, he bought a farm of seventy-seven acres in Sec. 35, town of Beaver Dam, where he made his home till his death, Sept. 21, 1879. April 11, 1847, he married Miss Catharine, daughter of Jacob and Mary Rabach, of Germany, whom he left a widow with eleven children--Joseph, Mathias, George, Katie (now Mrs. Frank Uher, of Beaver Dam, WI), Mary (Mrs. Herman), Kressa, Peter, Paul, Francis, John, Annie and Jacob. They are members of the Catholic Church of Beaver Dam.
Bailey, Sylvester H.
SYLVESTER H. BAILEY, railroad contractor; born in Townsend, Windham Co., VT, May 20, 1828; resided in Vermont until he was 21 years of age, then went to Ohio; was a resident of Cleveland about six years. Married, at Waynesburg, Stark Co., Ohio, Jan. 8, 1856, to Sarah Jane Ross; they have two children--James R. and Jennie E. Mr. Bailey came to Beaver Dam in April, 1858; he has been engaged in railroad contracting, construction, etc., most of the time since he came to Wisconsin.
Denison Baker, groceries, dry goods, boots and shoes, etc., Neosho; born in New York June 1, 1822; came to Wisconsin in 1844, locating at Rubicon; in 1845, he purchased 120 acres and commenced farming; he is one of the first settlers in Rubicon, and a very prominent man; he built the first hotel at Neosho, which he ran one year; he is also one of the largest land-owners in the town, having at present over four hundred acres, and raises both stock and grain, making a specialty of horses of the Arabian and Cloud breeds; Jan. 20, 1874 he opened a general store. Married, in November, 1874, Miss E. Person, a native of New York; had seven children, four of whom are living. Mr. B. is Grand Master of Neosho Lodge, No. 108, Order of Masons; also a very strong advocate of the temperance cause. Republican.
George Baker, farmer, Secs. 28, 22, 27 and 23; P. O. Hustisford; born in Erie Co., N. Y., June 14, 1822; attended school in his native county, where he lived until 1845, when he bought 200 acres of Government land in Hustisford, on which he settled in 1846; began clearing this and broke ten acres the same summer; worked for some time by the month and day in both Dodge and Walworth Cos., having part of his farm broken up in payment. Married Miss Deborah Van Blaricum Dec. 10, 1848, who died July 24, 1866, leaving five children--Polly S., Angeline, Aaron E., James D. and George W. Beginning with just means enough to pay for his first 200 acres, Mr. Baker now has 440 acres, which he devotes to stock and grain growing; has built a large and pleasant farmhouse and several large barns; about 1857, he bought three head of thoroughbred Devon cattle near Trenton, U. C., and now has a herd of twenty-nine, the only herd of full-blood Devons in Dodge Co.; he has bred the Spanish Merino sheep for twenty-five years past, now owning three hundred and twenty; has about thirty thoroughbred Poland-China hogs, besides Percheron, Cloud and Hambletonian horses. Mr. Baker is a progressive farmer and stock-breeder, and is an Independent Republican in politics. His sons are with him, and his eldest daughter is the wife of David Fletcher, of Hustisford.
Baker, J. W.
J. W. Baker, farmer, Sec. 36; P. O. Lowell; is a native of Prussia; born July 25, 1842; in 1854, emigrated with his parents to this country; they settled in Lowell Township, Dodge Co., Wis., May 20, 1870, he married Caroline A. Feahling; she was born in Clyman Township, Dodge Co., in 1851; they have five children--Calvin E., John A., Louis H., Albert C. and Ella A.; Mr. Baker owns ninety-five acres of land. In politics, he is Independent; himself and family are members of the Reform Church. His father, Martin Baker, married in his native country (Prussia) Miss Anna M. Young; they emigrated to Dodge Co. in 1854; he died Nov. 10, 1878; she is still a resident of Lowell Township; their children are William, Katrine (now wife of Nelson Stam), Emma (wife of Machtle), Maria (wife of Charles Liebing) and Charles; August Feahling, father of Mrs. J. W. Baker, was born in Prussia in 1825; emigrated to Dodge Co. in 1848. Married, Aug. 25, 1850, at Oak Grove, Mary E. Huebner; they now reside on Sec. 35, Lowell Township, where he owns 190 acres of land; their children are--Caroline A. (wife of J. W. Baker), Ettie, M. E., Albert A. and John A.
Thomas Baker, farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Hustisford; born in Cornwall, England, Dec. 15, 1817; spent his early life, grew to manhood and married in England, marrying Miss Eliza Baker in December, 1837, who died March 1, 1848, leaving five children--Mary, Ann, Eliza, Rachel R. and Thomas W.; on the 20th of February, 1849, he married Mary E., daughter of Degury Baker, of Cornwall. In April, 1852, Mr. Baker and family left Old England for the New World; landed at Quebec May 7, and came at once to Waukesha Co., Wis., where they lived until Mr. Baker bought seventy-five acres of his present farm in January, 1853; about fifty acres of this was cleared, upon which was a small house; Mr. Baker has improved and added to this, and as the fruit of many toilsome years, has a homestead of 155 acres, a modern brick farmhouse, built in 1862, good barns and other substantial improvements; he also owns 365 acres of well-improved land in Hustisford; this is a good showing for a man who came to America with only a few hundred dollars; he devotes the farm to both grain and stock. Mr. and Mrs. Baker are Methodists in belief; politics, Independent.
Bancroft, D. L.
D. L. BANCROFT, retired farmer, Waupun; born in Chenango Co., N. Y., February, 1819; son of Ezekiel Bancroft, who was from Massachusetts; he was a descendant of three brothers, who came from Wales at an early date; one of the family was George Bancroft, the celebrated historian; Ezekiel was a well-to-do farmer, and died about 1824, at the age of 60 years. Darius L. Bancroft remained at home until 21 years of age, teaching school winters, and working on the farm summers. Married, September 3, 1843, to Sarah Merriam, daughter of Parley Merriam, who was from Massachusetts, and is now a resident of Waupun; has reached the good old age of 84. The children are Lucy Ellen (married to J. J. Hillibert, and living in the town of Oakfield, Fond du Lac Co., Wis.); Mary A. (married O. E. Tyler, Waukesha, Wis., one of the best photographers in the State); Parley H. Bancroft, died in April, 1867, at the age of 14; Charles Bancroft is living at home; Emily died when a child; Nellie is living at home; George Bancroft died Sept. 7, 1879, at the age of 19; he was a youth of great promise, and was generally beloved and esteemed; Jessie is living at home, as is also Bance. After marriage, Mr. Bancroft emigrated to Wisconsin; reached Milwaukee in September, 1843; taught school that winter, and bought a farm in the town of Genesee; kept that two years; sold out and came to town of Chester in December, 1845, and settled on 160 acres, and, through industry and good management, increased it to 320 acres; Mr. Bancroft now has one of the finest residences in the county; beautiful grounds, laid out tastefully, and finely shaded, surround the house. Mr. Bancroft has been Superintendent of Schools twenty-two years; Town Clerk and Chairman of the Town Board ten years; was elected to the Assembly again, and was on Committee of Assessment and Collection of Taxes, and Special Committee to investigate railroads, telegraph and express companies; is acting insurance agent of Farmers' Insurance Co., of Waupun, Chester, Alto and Mackford.
ARIE BANTA, attorney at law, Fox Lake; born in Saratoga Co., N. Y., Jan. 12, 1818; his father was Peter Banta, who was born in Clifton Park, Saratoga Co., in 1774; he was a respected citizen and a farmer in good circumstances; he died in 1852, at the age of 79. His father was Arie Banta, from Bergen Co., N. J., of old Holland stock; settled in New York and vicinity at an early date; he had four sons in the Revolutionary war; he was one of the first settlers in Saratoga Co.; was a blacksmith by trade; he died in 1811. The present Arie Banta entered Union College in 1843 and graduated in 1846, and then studied law with Judge John K. Porter, in Waterford, N. Y.; practiced there till 1851; then came to Fox Lake, and has been engaged in the practice of law here ever since; was elected Town Clerk in 1855, and has held that position ever since, with the exception of one term; has been Justice of the Peace, and was one of the leading spirits that organized and built up the Republican party in this part of the county; is a prominent Mason, and was Master of the Lodge here seven years.
David Barber, farmer, Sec. 25; P. O. Juneau; born in Warren Co., N. Y., Sept. 21, 1826; son of Hiram Barber, whose father, David, was from Vermont, and was a Revolutionary soldier; one ancestor was a signer of the Declaration of Independence; Judge Hiram Barber was born Jan. 25, 1800, and was fifteen years on the bench in Warren Co., N. Y.; he came to Wisconsin about 1840, and is one of the oldest settlers; he is now living in Horicon, an esteemed and honored citizen. David came to Wisconsin in 1845, and settled on 400 acres; it was a wild country then, there were no roads or fences and very few white people; Mr. Barber now has one of the finest farms in the town; he has fifty-five head of cattle, and very fine horse stock, Gold Dust stock; his colt, Sweet Briar, is one of the finest in the county. Mr. Barber married, in 1850, Lois Griffin, daughter of Seneca Griffin, of Warren Co., N. Y.; children are Anna, who died in infancy; Emma, born July 27, 1855, and died at the age of 19; Isabella, born April 8, 1857, is teacher in Female College in Milwaukee; Griffin, born Oct. 24, 1859, and living at home; Fanny S., born Aug. 31, 1861; David, Jr., born Oct. 10, 1863, died in infancy; Alice, died in infancy; wife died June 2, 1871. His second wife was Miss Arnold, daughter of Samuel Arnold, of Juneau; has one child, Ina Blanche, born Nov. 7, 1877. A brother of Mr. Barber, Hiram Barber, Jr., is member of Congress from Third District, Chicago.
Barber, Judge Hiram
Judge Hiram Barber, retired manufacturer, Horicon; born in Washington Co., N. Y., Jan. 25, 1800; was educated in his native State, and lived on a farm until he was 22; when, though having no experience, he went into partnership with N. Atwell in the mercantile business; had a successful career as a merchant about fifteen years, in Warren Co., N. Y.; afterward went into the real-estate and lumber business, and, in 1843, he disposed of about eight thousand acres of land, six saw-mills, and much other property, closed up his business and came West; he studied law while in business, and, at the age of 29, was appointed Judge by Martin Van Buren; held the office fourteen years, was elected Justice of the Peace in 1826, and served four years; in the spring of 1844, the Judge settled in Dodge Co., Wis., and bought a large tract of wild land; as he was five miles from a neighbor, he may fairly be called a pioneer; from 1845 to 1848, he was engaged in the lumber trade in Milwaukee and Kenosha; he built the old Court House in Juneau, in 1848, and the Juneau House in 1849, which he opened as a hotel in the spring of 1850; settled in Horicon in April, 1863; was with the Van Brunts in the manufacture of seeders until 1870, when he bought the factory; he continued the manufacture of seeders and farm wagons three years, then sold out the business to D. C. Van Brunt and his second son, R. S. Barber. The Judge is now resting from the labors of a long, busy and useful life; during an active business life of fifty-one years, he has always paid 100 cents on the dollar. He married Miss Salome Seelye April 6, 1824, who died June 12, 1839, having six children--Cynthia, David, R. S., Hannah, Hiram, Jr., and Mary S.; David is on the old homestead; R. S. is an owner of the seeder works; Hiram, Jr. is by profession a lawyer, and is now a Representative in Congress from the city of Chicago. Judge Barber is a Republican in politics, and is closely identified with the history of Dodge Co.
Barber, R. S.
R. S. Barber, of Van Brunt & Barber, Horicon; born in Warren Co., N. Y., Jan. 22, 1828; spent his early life and was educated in his native State; came to Wisconsin in 1846, with his father, Judge Hiram Barber, and settled with him on a farm in Oak Grove, Dodge Co.; he made this his home until 1852, when he went overland to California, and spent fourteen years mining and ranching in the Golden State; returning to Wisconsin, he remained about one year, then located at Omaha, Neb., where he was in the machine business about four years; spent the winter of 1870 in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and, in 1871, returned to Horicon and took an interest with his father in the seeder works. In company with D. C. Van Brunt and W. C. Wood, he bought the factory in 1873, the firm of Van Brunt & Barber doing business since 1876. Mr. Barber is a Republican in politics. He married Miss Sarah Evans, of Milpitas, Cal., June 15, 1871; they have two children--Lawrence E., born in Oak Grove, Dodge Co., Wis., June 20, 1872, and Alice, born in Horicon, Wis., Aug. 25, 1876.
Horace Barnes, farmer, Secs. 14, 13 and 23; P. O. Farmersville; born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., June 3, 1823; his boyhood was passed in his native county, where he was educated and married; he came to Le Roy and settled on Government land in the spring of 1847, and had to cut his way for about a mile through dense timber in order to get his team and goods to his claim; after building a log house he began the pioneer work of cutting and burning timber, clearing the land and making a home; his present improved farm of 180 acres with its large and convenient buildings is the result. Mr. Barnes is a Republican; was the second Assessor of his town, and served about nine years as Town Clerk; was elected Chairman about 1858, and has been a member of the County Board for fourteen years, or longer than any other resident of the county. Married Miss Phebe Higgins July 1, 1864, who was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., Aug. 10, 1826; they have nine children--William D., Asa D., Horace Jr., Henry B., Julius A., Flora A., Blanche, Duane P. and Phebe I.
Barney, John A.
JOHN A. BARNEY, Director F., A. & P. R. R., Mayville; born in Lenox, Madison Co., N. Y., June 14, 1840; came to Mayville, Dodge Co., Wis., with his parents, in the fall of 1847; here he attended common and private schools, also studied law two years. Enlisted Sept. 21, 1861, as a private in Co. B, 10th W. V. I.; was with that regiment in its campaign in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia, participating in all engagements until he lost an arm at the battle of Chickamauga, where he was captured and held ten days; was released on parole, and commissioned Captain by brevet, to date fromo Oct. 8, 1862, for meritorious services rendered at battles of Perryville and Chickamauga. On his return to Mayville, he was principal of the Mayville High School fifteen terms. Mr. Barney is an ardent Democrat, and has served as Clerk and Chairman of the town, Clerk and President of the village of Mayville; was appointed Postmaster of Mayville by President Johnson, which position he resigned upon Grant's election; was County Superintendent of Schools for the East District, Dodge Co., for four years ending Dec. 31, 1874; was elected to the Wisconsin State Senate for the Thirty-first District, 1874; he is now Clerk of the Congressional Committee on War Claims. Married Miss Henrietta Beeson, of Lomira, Aug. 21, 1866; they have three children-- Maud G., Hattie A. and Jessie A. Mr. Barney is a member in good standing of Mayville Lodge, No. 200, I. O. O. F.
Barrett, J. H.
J. H. BARRETT, book-keeper; born in Cavendish, Windsor Co., VT, on Feb. 2, 1856, and came to Wisconsin in May, 1856, locating at Beaver Dam; he received his early education in Jefferson Co., and the Denmark Academy, in Lewis Co., NY, in Denmark he ran a stationary engine in summer and taught school in winter, until 1856, when he came to Beaver Dam, where he at first engaged in buying wheat; this he continued twleve years; in 1870, he took the position of book-keeper in the First National Bank of Beaver Dam, which position he now holds; was, for four or five terms, Alderman of Beaver Dam; in 1866, was Treasurer of Beaver Dam; in 1878, was elected School Commissioner of the Third Ward, which office he now holds. He married, Sept. 20, 1851, Abby E. Clark, of Denmark, NY; he has four children--Charles H. C., Frankie L., Edward E. and John H.
Barrett, M. S.
M. S. Barrett, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Burnett Station; born Feb. 17, 1825, in Jefferson Co., N. Y., at Ellisburg; son of Enoch and Pamelia Barrett, natives of New Hampshire; came to Wisconsin in June, 1848, and pre-empted a half-section in the Rock River land grant; the next spring he came to Dodge Co., and worked for George Smith, on Rolling Prairie, for two or three summers, teaching school in winter. April 10, 1851, he married Genevieve H. Church, who was born Sept. 2, 1831, daughter of Silas and Fanny Church, who came from Jefferson Co., N. Y., in the spring of 1849, and settled in Burnett Nov. 1, 1856. Mr. Barrett bought an eighty-acre farm at Burnett Station, where he now resides, and has eighty acres of land which he values at $8,000, a part of the village plat of Burnett Junction being on his farm. In the fall of 1867, he built an elevator at Burnett Station, and engaged in wheat-buying, which he continued till the fall of 1871; then sold out elevator to John M. Sherman. In 1869, he built a cheese-factory at the station, and made cheese every summer till the fall of 1875. He was Superintendent of Schools for seven years in succession till 1861; was elected Justice of the Peace in 1858, and has held the office most of the time since.
LAWRENCE BARRY, farmer, Sec. 28; P. O. Hubbleton, Jefferson Co.; born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1826; came to America in 1845; in the fall of 1846, he spent two months in Shields, spending the winter on Manitou Island; the next four years were spent in Upper Canada; was one summer in Rochester, N. Y., then resided in Wayne Co., Ohio, until 1852, when he settled in Shields; he bought eighty acres, then heavily timbered with oak, elm, basswood, etc.; a small clearing had been made and a shanty build; the family did their full share of pioneering, the result of which is a well-improved farm, large and pleasant farmhouse and many substantial improvements. He married, in Wayne Co., Ohio, Miss Johanna Barry; they have five living children--John and William (both railroad men in Danville, Ill.), Johanna (the wife of James Enright, of Milford), Catherine and Lawrence (still living on the homestead). Mr. B. is a stalwart Democrat, and was Supervisor for three years; Roman Catholic in religion.
CHARLES BARWIG, wholesale liquor dealer, Mayville; born in Hesse-Darmstadt, 1837; came to America with his parents in 1845, locating in Milwaukee; his parents were residents of Milwaukee at the time of their death; his father was in Milwaukee and Chicago, 1832, when they were only trading-posts. Charles Barwig graduated fromo the Spencerian Business College, Milwaukee, 1857; he then made an extended tour through the East and South, settling in Mayville, 1865; began here as a distiller and rectifier, which business he followed three years; in 1869, he began his wholesaling business, which he has successfully followed; deals in all kinds of native and foreign wines and liquors. He married Miss Eliza Schwartzburg, January, 1857; they have five children--Amelia, Charles, Byron, George and Robert. Mr. Barwig is a member of the Greenback party, and a member of Vesper Lodge, A., F. & A. M. He has been President of the Village Board, and Chairman of the Town Board several terms.
Beach, Edgar M.
Edgar M. Beach; born Aug. 3, 1839, in Medina Co., Ohio; parents of the old Puritan stock from New England; at the age of 5 years, lost his father, who was instantly killed by the fall of a tree; in 1854, came to Wisconsin; attended school at Lawrence University at the city of Appleton four years, when, his health almost entirely giving away, he spent several years traveling in most of the Western and some of the Southern States; in the fall of 1860, cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln. The war of the rebellion found him teaching in Missouri in a district composed entirely of slaveholders; making his way North, he enlisted in the Federal army, but on account of ill health was rejected; still desiring to take some part in the national struggle, spent the spring and summer of 1863 at Nashville, Tenn., where he belonged to the Ordnance Department under Gen. E. D. Townsend of the regular army. On the 10th day of November, 1864, was married to Miss Cecelia E. Tichenor, daughter of Charles O. Tichenor, Esq., of Appleton. Studied law with Judge N. C. Giffin, of Fond du Lac, at which place he was admitted to the bar in July, 1866; came to Waupun in December, 1866, where he has spent an active business life in the practice of his profession, which has been crowned with more than ordinary success; coming to Waupun without means or friends, he has found many friends and abundant means. His fellow-citizens elected him Justice of the Peace for eight years in succession; at one time a Postmaster under Abraham Lincoln. ďA high private in the Kekoskee war.Ē Village Clerk; Supervisor; in politics a Republican; an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he has belonged since 1864; many years a Sunday-school Superintendent; thirteen years a Class Leader, Trustee and Steward. Always a liberal contributor to all good objects.
Bean, John S.
John S. Bean, farmer, Sec. 14; P. O. Danville; was born in Merrimac Co., N. H., in February, 1839; he came to Elba Township in March, 1861. He enlisted, Oct. 23 of that year, in Co. D, 16th W. V. I.; he was severely wounded in the arm at the battle of Shiloh; he then, being disabled for duty in the field, engaged in the recruiting service, afterward as Clerk of Court Martial, and in Commissary Department; joined his company in October, 1863; Dec. 23, 1864, he was discharged and mustered into service as Second Lieutenant of 47th U. S. Colored Inf.; was promoted to First Lieutenant Nov. 11, 1865; was discharged Jan. 4, 1866. Mr. Bean was married, Oct. 26, 1864, to Ellen C. Eastman, born in New Hampshire, December, 1839; they have two children--Mabel O. B., and Jennie M. Bought present farm Oct. 20, 1866; he has 120 acres of land. He has been Assessor of Elba Township three terms, Justice of the Peace four terms, and Town Clerk two terms.
B. Beck, boot and shoe maker and dealer; born in Germany in 1842; came to America in April, 1867, and settled in the town of Burnett, Dodge Co., Wis.; came to Horicon in September of the same year; he worked for William Lueck over a year, bought him out, and has since continued the business; built his large two-story brick store in 1874. Mr. Beck employs several workmen, and sells both custom and hand made goods. Married Miss Matilda Loehrke in 1870; they have four children--Amelia, Bertha, Louisa, and Minnie. Mr. Beck is a Democrat, and is now serving his fourth term as Trustee. Is a Lutheran. He invites the patronage of the people, and feels able to satisfy them as to durability and price of his work and goods.
CHARLES BECKER, cigar manufacturer, 6th Ward, Dodge Co.; was born in Germany Aug. 26, 1838; came to Watertown in 1866; worked as cigar- maker for Wigginhorn Bros. until December, 1878; in the spring of 1879, he commenced manufacturing for himself. In April, 1868, he married Augusta Zahn; she was born in Germany; they have five children--Christiana, Fredrick, William Charles, Victor Otto, Augusta and an infant son.
Beckman, Hon. Charles
pages 765-766 [Emmet Township]
HON. CHARLES BECKMAN, Justice of the Peace, Sixth Ward, Dodge Co.; born in Prussia Aug. 16, 1813; came to America in September, 1843; located in Buffalo, N. Y.; taught school in Western New York until he came to Wisconsin in September, 1845; engaged in farming until 1868. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace cotinuously since 1853, except for three years, from 1860 to 1862, and one year prior to that time; he was for many years Supervisor, Alderman, City Treasurer, School Commissioner, City Clerk, Commisssioner of Public Debt, and, in 1874, he was a member of the Assembly. It would be difficult to find a man in thte State who has received so many manifestations of the esteem and confidence of his neighbors and fellow-citizens as the people of this vicinity have shown to Mr. Beckman. He was married, Oct. 31, 1839, to Hannah Charlotte Knuth; she was born in Prussia Feb. 7, 1812; they have had seven children; the living are Anna Maria Eliza (now Mrs. Hermann Teisch, of Dakota), Alvine Louise Francisco (now Mrs. Eugene Gebhart, of Watertown) and Henry Louis Martin (a resident of this city).
Beers, George H.
George H. Beers, mechanic; born in Danby, Tompkins Co., N. Y., March 25, 1815; was educated in his native State, and came to Juneau, Dodge Co., Wis., October 6, 1844. Early in 1845, he and Garry Taylor completed the Wild Cat saw-mill, Hustisford; settled in Horicon in October, 1846, and in 1847, with Mr. Taylor, built the old Horicon saw-mill, and may thus be fairly called a pioneer builder in the county. He married Miss Elmina L. Clinton in June, 1846; they have one daughter--Emma. Mr. Beers is a Republican, and was Village Clerk under the first charter election in Horicon. Is a member of the Horicon T. of H. Mr. Beers is a well and favorable known pioneer settler in this county.
Bellows, Alonzo W.
ALONZO W. BELLOWS, agent, Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Co.,; born in Tully, Onondaga, Co., NY, Oct. 29, 1829; when he was about 6 years of age his parents removed, with their family, to Homer, Cortland Co., NY; resided there six years, then located for two years at East Homer; afterward lived at McGrawville, in Cortland Co., until he was 24 years of age; in March, 1856, he came to Hartford, WI, and remained there eleven years, agent of the railroad company at that point during this period; after spending a few months in Fond du Lac, and about one year in Milwaukee, he came to Beaver Dam in October, 1868, and has been engaged in business as agent for the railway company ever since; while a resident of the State of New York, he worked at his trade, chair-maker; in addition to his railroad business here, he deals in salt, cement, lime, plaster, etc. He was married at McGrawville, NY, June 17, 1851, to Miss Clara S. Holmes; she was born in Solon, NY; they have one son--Willie Grant.
Benedict, M. D.
M. D. BENEDICT, farmer, Sec. 6; P. O. Lowell; was born in Chenango Co., N. Y., in the year 1827; in 1836, he removed with his parents, Lewis and Lydia Benedict, to Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, where he remained until his coming to Lowell Township, Dodge Co., Wis., in 1846. In 1855, he married Miss Melissa Round, a native of Herkimer Co., N. Y.; born in 1838; they have three children--Florence A., Bertha L. and Lena B.; Mr. Benedict owns 150 acres of land, well located and finely improved. Politically, he acts with the Republican party; he was Justice of the Peace at one time, and has filled other local offices, and has always been identified with the educational interests in the district wherein he resides; his father, Lewis Benedict, is a native of Litchfield Co., Conn.; born June 28, 1799; when he was about 3 years old, his parents moved to Chenango, N. Y., where he married Jan. 11, 1825, Miss Lydia Packard, a native of Delaware Co., N. Y., born June 3, 1801; they emigrated to Cuyahoga Co., Ohio; thence to Lowell Township, Dodge Co., Wis., in 1846, thus becoming pioneer settlers; in 1867, they went to Floyd Co., Iowa, where they remained until 1878, when they returned to Dodge Co.; they now reside on Sec. 6, Lowell Township. He has acted with the Republican party since its organization; their children are M. D. (whose name appears at the head of this sketch), Lydia A. (now wife of M. O. Snow, Floyd Co., Iowa), Henry L. (married Sarah Blair; they also live in Floyd Co.), Augusta A. (wife of E. A. Colton, Lowell Township). Nelson Round, father of Mrs. M. D. Benedict, was a native of "York State." He married Catherine Vosburg; they settled in Lowell Township in 1850; she died in 1851, and he in 1874; their children are Melissa, wife of M. D. Benedict; Charles M., who served in Co. C, 16th W. V. I. all through the war of the rebellion, and who is now married and lives in Dodge Co., Minn.; Allen A., who was also a soldier in Co. C, 16th. W. V. I. during the war of the rebellion, is married and lives in Dodge Co., Minn.; Chlotilda, wife of William M. Waddell, Beaver Dam; Mary A., wife of Leroy McCallister.
HERMAN BENTERT, farmer, Secs. 35 and 36; P. O. Watertown; born in Prussia Nov. 6, 1840; came to America with his mother and uncle, Peter B., in 1844, they settling in July on the Emmet homestead of 320 acres, which was then heavily timbered Government land; the family was in fair circumstances, Peter Bentert owning one of the first farm-wagons brought into the town; the Benterts saw much of pioneer life, roads and bridges being poor and primitive; Herman attended school two years in Cedarburg, Wis., and one year in Milwaukee; Mr. B. is a leading and successful farmer, and is also well known as a thrasher, owning at present three machines and two engines; on his large farm he has a lime-kiln, from which he annually sells from 15,000 to 18,000 bushels. Married Miss Minna Shank, of Prussia, in January, 1865; they have five children--Laura, Alexander, Isabel, Herman and Oscar. Mr. B. is a Democrat; was Supervisor two years, and Treasurer one year, in his township; the family are Lutherans.
PETER BERENDS, dealer in agricultural implements, Neosho; born in Holland in 1845; came to Wisconsin in 1854, locating with his parents in the town of Horicon, remaining about six years, when Peter removed to Rolling Prairie, where he remained three years; he then went boating on the Mississippi River for one year. In 1865, he enlisted in Co. B, 22d W. V. I., joining the regiment at Fond du Lac; was discharged the same year on account of sickness; he then moved to Hartford, where he engaged in farming. Sept. 22, 1868, he married Miss Henrietta Kissell, a native of Germany; had four children, one of whom is living. In 1869, he moved to Rubicon and purchased seventy acres, which he afterward sold; in 1875, he went into the agriculture implement business, in which business he has been very successful. Democrat.
Beynon, E. S.
E. S. BEYNON, lumber-yard, Juneau; born in Watertown July 9, 1853; son of Reese Beynon, who was from Wales; his brother, George, was killed while in the British Service in India; the family came to Watertown about 1847; were among the first settlers; moved to Clyman in 1860, and to Juneau in 1874; his father died there at about the age of 65; Enoch S. was engaged in farming several years, and finally came to Juneau and engaged in the lumber business, which he is now carrying on successfully. Married, Oct. 13, 1873, Nettie Smith, daughter of Josiah Smith, one of the earlier settlers in this county; a brother, Thomas L. Smith, a prominent and worthy citizen of Juneau, was in the 10th W. V. I., and was wounded in the jaw at the battle of Perryville; Mr. Josiah Smith died March 20, 1873; was a man much esteemed and Deacon of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Beynon has three children, Grace, born Jan. 13, 1875; Reese, born Nov. 27, 1876; Nettie, born Oct. 22, 1878; Edward J. Beynon, a brother, was in the 50th W. V. I., served his time and was honorably discharged; he died after returning from the army.
JACOB BINDER, brewer, Neosho; born in Germany in 1848; came to Wisconsin in 1867, locating in Theresa, where he worked at the brewing business for six years; he then moved to Neosho and built a brewery, and is at present engaged in brewing a first-class quality of lager beer; Mr. B. has built up a large and increasing business. Married, in 1873, Miss Elizabeth Mertis, a native of Germany; they have had two children--John, born in 1875; Joseph, born in 1877. In 1877, Mr. Binder met with a serious accident in the malt mill connected with his brewery, whereby he lost his left arm. Family are members of the Catholic Church. Democrat.
P. BINZEL, brewer, Beaver Dam; born in Germany July 4, 1833; came to Wisconsin in June, 1857, locating at Milwaukee; he learned the brewery business in Milwaukee, with Jos. Schlitz and Valentine Blatz; he then worked in a brewery at Two Rivers, for Mr. Miller; on Oct. 1, 1863, he started a brewery at Waupun, which burned down; in April, 1866, he went to Beaver Dam, and bought the Farmers' Brewery, from Mr. Schutte, which he is now running; in 1870, he was Alderman of the First Ward, and, with the exception of one term, has been Alderman ever since. He married, in July 1863, Louisa Martz, of England; he has six children--Edward H., Mary Clotilda, John Alvin, Philip Rudolphe, Alma Louisa and Hellmuth Philip.
JOHN BIRD, Fifth Ward, with S. E. Randall, agricultural implement business; born in Canada Sept. 29, 1831; son of Isaac and Hannah (Hodgson) Bird, both natives of Westmorelandshire, England; they came to Canada in 1831. Mr. John Bird has been a resident of Wisconsin since January, 1867; he has been engaged in pork buying, packing and shipping, and dealing in farm implements ever since he came here, except two years that he devoted to farming; he was married Dec. 24, 1870, to Eliza Raison, a native of England; they have five children--Louisa Hannah, Harry Hodgson, Hattie May, Wilber Howard, and an infant son. Mr. Bird has been Supervisor of Fifth Ward, Dodge County.
Birge, George A.
GEORGE A. BIRGE, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Horicon; born in Susquehanna Co. Penn., May 11, 1819, son of Augustus Birge, from Connecticut, who was in the war of 1812, and his father was a brave soldier in the Revolutionary war, as was also his brother, who was killed in the war; came from old Plymouth stock. George taught school when he was 18 years old, and till 21 years old; was a member of the Teacher's Institute, at Ithaca; also ran a saw-mill and rafted logs down the Susquehanna River; was one of the most skillful men in handling logs on the river. Married Mary L. Wright, of Vermont stock; their children were Horace A., who was scalded to death in infancy, Walter and Clara, died in infancy. Mr. Birge came to Oak Grove, Section 3, fall of 1845; he was one of the most public spirited, and wide awake of the early settlers; they had no flour or provisions, when he came he went to Watertown and bought goods for them, and gave them all the time they wanted. He built a log cabin, had one room, two beds and a stove; Indians were numerous but friendly; he went through many hardships, and, through honest industry and good management, now has a fine farm of many broad acres, and a fine residence. He has been a prominent Odd Fellow and a Patriarch; is an honored member of the Temple of Honor.
ALBERT BIRK, farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Knowles; born in Wurtemberg May 5, 1834; here he was educated and lived until 1853, when he came to America; spent over two years in Montgomery Co., N. Y., then settled for three years in Fond du Lac Co., Wis.; he then located on his present farm of 120 acres, of which only ten acres were improved; Mr. Birk did genuine pioneer work in chopping and burning timber, breaking land, etc. He enlisted, September, 1864, in the 45th W. V. I., and with his regiment did guard duty in Tennessee; after several weeks of sickness in hospital, he was honorably discharged, June, 1865. He had married Miss Elizabeth Schults of Eden, N. Y., Jan. 2, 1859; they have seven children--Lena, William, Martin, Louisa, Edward, Margaret and Daniel. Mr. Birk is an independent Democrat, supporting men and principles; has been Supervisor twice and is now Assessor; the family belong to the Evangelical Association. As a result of his own toil and calculation, Mr. Birk has a well-improved farm and a large modern brick house, built in 1876.
Bliss, A. G. (M.D.)
A. G. Bliss, M. D., Randolph; is a native of Berkshire Co., Mass., where he was born in 1817; at the age of 18, he entered the Seminary of South Adams, Mass., where he graduated with his class in 1838, soon after which he began the study of medicine with a prominent physician of South Adams, with whom he read three years, except in the lecture seasons, when he attended the Worcester Medical College, of Massachusetts, and from which he received his diploma in 1840; he at once began the practice of medicine, in Cheshire, Berkshire Co., where he continued for about thirty-four years; thence in the spring of 1874, he removed to the village of Randolph, Dodge Co., and now has quite an extensive practice in Dodge and Columbia Cos. In November, 1858, he married Miss Ellen B., daughter of Hanciel and Patience Prince, of Windsor, Mass.; they have one son--Everett.
Morris Blodgett, farmer; P. O. Randolph; is a native of Randolph, Vt.; born in 1837; when quite young, he went to make his home with his uncle, in Rochester, N. Y., and made that his home for a number of years; whence he came to Cortland, Columbia Co., where he has since followed farming. He married Miss Anna R., duagher of Abiel and Jane A. Stark, of Randolph, Dodge Co.; they have one child.
WILLIAM BLOOR, farmer, Secs. 17 and 20; P. O. Neosho; born in Staffordshire, England, in 1821; came to Wisconsin in 1845; locating at Delafield, Waukesha Co., remaining two years, when he removed to Rubicon, and purchased 40 acres on Sec. 20, afterward adding 280 acres, his present homestead; Mr. B. is a very successful farmer, and deals largely in stock, making his own shipments to the Chicago and Milwaukee markets. He ha been Chairman one year, Supervisor two years. Married, in 1845, Miss Ann Frier, a native of England; they have had nine children, six living. Republican in politics.
HENRY BOEHMER, foundryman, Mayville; born in Prussia Dec. 24, 1833; spent his early life and was educated in Prussia; came to America, 1848, spent one year in Albany, N. Y., and settled in Mayville, November 1849; worked at his trade until 1858, then went to Pike's Peak and spent about four months in the mountains; returned and joined Marling & Younker in the foundry business; he now owns the only foundry in Mayville, where he manufactures farm machinery, and is prepared to do all kinds of casting. Married Miss Margaret Aud in 1857; they have nine children--Joseph, Allouis, Mary, Edward, Henry, Katie, Mathias, Josephine and Charles. Mr. Boehmer is a Democrat; has been on the Village and School Boards; also Village Marshal. Is a member of the Catholic Church, and one of the pioneer foundrymen of Mayville.
Bogert, R. V.
R. V. BOGERT, Postmaster; was born in Claverick, NY, July 3, 1819, and came to Wisconsin the fore part of October, 1849, locating in Beaver Dam; in Chenango Co., NY, he received his early education, and assisted his father on the farm; in Tioga Co., he was a clerk in a general store, after which he moved to Owego, NY, and hired out to a firm to lumber-it up and down the Susquehanna River; this he continued for eight years; from Owego he moved to Beaver Dam; in 1849, started a general store; bought an interest in a flour-mill in 1854, also an interest in the woolen-mills; this was continued seven years, under the firm name of Lewis & Bogert; he then entered the banking business, opening the Dodge County Bank, under the State law, which he continued until 1861; Mr. Bogert has held the following offices: In 1851-52, was Town Treasurer; in 1862, was appointed U.S. Assistant Assessor for Dodge Co., which he held until 1865; in about 1868, he was again U.S. Assistant Assessor, and held that office until its expiration; in 1861, he was Mayor of Beaver Dam; in 1876, he was appointed Postmaster of Beaver Dam, which position he now holds; Mr. Bogert also represents the following fire, life and accident insurance companies: Liverpool & London & Globe; the Royal, of Liverpool; the Lancashire, of Manchester; the Queen, of London; Continental, of New York; Watertown, of New York; Northwestern National, of Milwaukee; Northwestern Mutual Life, of Milwaukee, and the Travelers' Accident of Hartford. Mr. Bogert was married in March, 1844, to Celinda Leonard, of New York; he has eight children living, named Agnes, Robert, Henrietta, Henry, Lucy, Nellie, Charles and Lottie. Mr. and Mrs. Bogert are attendants of the Congregational Church.
Bogisch, Rudolph B.
RUDOLPH B. BOGISCH, editor and proprietor Dodge County Pioneer, Mayville; born in Prussia, Dec. 1, 1840, spent his early life, and was educated in his native land, taught six years in a female seminary, Berlin; came to America, 1869; taught two years in New York City; taught German, French and English about four years, Warren, Penn; came to Waupun, Wis., 1875; was a private teacher of German and English about fifteen months in that place; settled in Mayville and began editing the Pioneer in 1876; has since bought the paper and meets with much success in its publication; it is an eight page, six column weekly, printed in German. He married Mrs. Mary A. Holmes, of Smethport, Penn., 1874. Mr. Bogisch is a loyal Democrat, is independent in religion, and a member of Mayville Lodge, No. 200, I. O. O. F.
WILLIAM BONNER, farmer, Sec. 14; P. O. Beaver Dam; born in North of Ireland, County Donegal, near Londonderry, Jan. 17, 1822; son of Andrew Bonner, whose father was William Bonner; for four generations the Bonners were born, lived and died in Bonner Town, near Londonderry; Andrew died about 1847, at about the age of 56. He married Mary A. Allen (her mother was a Russell), who died about 1867, at the age of 75 years; their children were Margaret, William, Robert, David and Mary; William and Robert came to New York, and to Hartford, Conn., in June, 1839; William went with his uncle, Joshua Allen, farming till 1844, then went to manage the farm of Hon. James Dixon, of Hartford, Conn.; came to Trenton, Wis., June, 1851, settled on ninety acres; now has a fine farm of 300 acres, and one of the finest brick residences in the county; pays particular attention to blooded stock; celebrated horse, Dexter; also Hambletonian and Swigert stock; has five Swigert colts of great promise; is starting a herd of Short Horns; has also, about 300 Merino sheep and a fine lot of Berkshire hogs. William married, in May, 1851, Mary J. Stevens; had three children, who died in infancy; wifed died in 1859; married Mary Ann Ross; had five children--Allie, born Nov. 1, 1871; William, born July 17, 1878; the others died when young. Mr. Bonner and family are members of the Presbyterian Church at Beaver Dam; he is one of the Trustees of the church; Mr. Bonner is a brother of Robert Bonner, who learned the printer's trade in Hartford, Conn., in the Hartford Courant office, then went to New York as a journeyman in the office of the New York Mirror, and about 1851, started the New York Ledger; he has, through his great business tact, built up a colossal fortune; he is the owner of the horse Edwin Forrest, w ho recently trotted a mile in 2:11 1/2; also owner of Dexter; he has a farm at Tarrytown, N. Y., where he keeps about 100 head of the finest blooded horses in the world; Robert Bonner's traits of business tact, integrity and large liberality are too well known to be reiterated; every one knows the New York Ledger, and all know Robert Bonner.
H. BOOTH, merchant tailor; born in Moravia, Cayuga Co., NY, March 25, 1825, and came to Wisconsin Sept. 26, 1846, locating in Beaver Dam; he learned his trade in Moravia; on moving to Beaver Dam he opened a merchant tailor's establishment, which he is continuing still; in the spring of 1852, he was elected Treasurer of Beaver Dam Township; was also Alderman of the Second Ward one term; in 1860, was Treasurer of the city of Beaver Dam; in 1876, he was Alderman of the Fourth Ward one term. He married, June 24, 1847, Sarah G. Ordway, of Hancock, NY; he has five children--Helen Leona, Clara Lydia, Sarah Bell, Willis Hiram and Charles. Mr. and Mrs. Booth are members of the Episcopal Church.
Brackin, W. H.
W. H. BRACKIN, carpenter, joiner and builder; is a native of Madison Co., NY; born in 1818. At the age of 22, he began the carpenter and joiner's trade, which he has since followed; in 1855, he came to Beaver Dam, WI, where he has been connected with the erection of some of the most prominent buildings of the city. In 1848, he married Maria L. Cowen, of Madison Co., NY. They attend the Presbyterian Church.
Brainerd, John C.
JOHN C. BRAINERD, farmer, Section 21; P. O. Danville; was born in Middlesex Co., Conn., in 1810; his father, Calvin Brainerd, removed to Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1823, where he died, about 1860, at thte age of 84 years. Mr. Brainerd was married to Mary Pease, of Monroe Co., N. Y.; he resided in Western New York till 1854, when he removed to Dodge Co., and settled in Elba Township, on the section where he now lives. He engaged in teaching many winters, following the occupatio of farming the remainder of the year; he has also been an earnest laborer in the cause of the Christian religion since his earliest manhood, and as minister of the Gospel, has labored, both by precept and example, to make men better. He has three children--John C.; Mary, now Mrs. Wm. Flynn; and William P.; lost first three children.
Brower, John L.
JOHN L. BROWER, retired, Fox Lake; born in New York City May 20, 1824; son of Jacob P. Brower, who was from Rockland Co., N. Y.; his father, Paul, was also born in Rockland Co., and was of the Holland stock that settled in and around New York City, and whose descendants to-day claim the Trinity Church estate; Paul had a brother who was killed by the Tories during the Revolutionary war; Paul was in the war of 1812. Jacob P. Brower and his family came West, and landed in Milwaukee, May, 1837, a place of about 1,200 inhabitants then; in June, 1837, went to Sheboygan, and kept the Sheboygan House about ten months, and in the spring of 1838 moved to the north side of Fox Lake and made a claim; land was not in the market then; fall following, located where the village of Fox Lake now stands; this was in December, 1838, located it in November, 1848; was the first white man to settle in this county; built a log house and went to farming; settled on 240 acres; nearest neighbors were at Fort Winnebago, Fond du Lac and Watertown; in 1840, Mr. Brower purchased land where the city of Beaver Dam now stands; moved then, and in the fall of 1841, built a log house near where the present bank now stands, on Front street; in 1844, commenced building a saw-mill at Fox Lake, and in the fall of 1845, his son, J. L. Brower, took charge of it, and engaged with his brother, George W., in business; in 1851, built a flouring mill at Fox Lake, and carried on a successful business till February, 1878, when it burned down. Mr. J. L. Brower married Maria Wiggens, May, 1846; she was from Genesee Co., N. Y.; had nine children--Lavenia, born June 16, 1847, and died July 18, 1847; Ophelia, born April 23, 1849, is living and at home; Amelia, born April 3, 1851, and living at home; Frankie P., born March 23, 1853, died May 18, 1853; Lewis K., born May 24, 1854, living at Fox Lake; Cetta, born Oct. 17, 1858, and died Nov. 6, 1861; Stephen A. D., born June 3, 1861, and died Aug. 19, 1861; Edgar P., born Sept. 13, 1862, living at Fox Lake; Jacob P., born July 26, 1865, died Jan. 27, 1866; wife died Nov. 2, 1867. He married again, Feb. 13, 1870, Mary E. Stadter; had one child--Flora L., born Dec. 15, 1870. His father, Jacob P., married, Sept. 16, 1820, Martha Mackie; had eight children; he died Nov. 28, 1846, and wife died April 15, 1875; Mr. Brower is undoubtedly the oldest settler in this part of the county, and has witnessed all the changes from the time this county was a wilderness and inhabited only by Indians, to the present day, when the land teems with the fruits of honest husbandry, and has become one of the richest sections of the State. Mr. Brower owns a large island beautifully situated in Fox Lake, which is quite a resort.
Brown, George A.
GEORGE A. BROWN, propietor livery stable, was born in Newark, NY, March 24, 1840, and came to Wisconsin in 1842, locating in Racine; from Racine he moved to Beaver Dam, at first assisting his father, and after farming it on his own account until 1872, when he went into the livery, sale and boarding stable business in partnership with his brother, and under the firm name of Mann, Brown & Co. Mr. Brown married, Jan. 1, 1862, Ellen H. Porter, of Londonderry, Ireland; he has four children--William Parter, Georgia May, Maggie Julia and Anna Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are members of the First Presbyterian Church.
JOHN BROWN, farmer; Sec. 33; P. O. Beaver Dam. The subject of this sketch is a native of Argyle, Washington Co., NY, and son of Archibald and Fannie Brown, nee Horth; born in October, 1824. When he was quite young his parents removed to Livingston, Co., NY; here he received a common school education, and led the life of farmer till 22 years of age; in 1846, he came to Dodge Co., WI, and settled on a farm in the town of Trenton, which was his home till 1865; in 1857-58, he was employed as guard and overseer in the stone-shop of the State Prison at Waupun, under Gen. Starks. At Ripon, WI, in October, 1861, he enlisted in Co. K, of the 1st Wisconsin Volunteer Calvary, under Col. Daniels; was in the battles of Cape Girardeau, MO, Chickamauga, TN, Marietta, Stony Face, Buzzard's Roost, and Atlanta; was mustered out of service at Calhoun, GA, Oct. 31, 1864, when he returned to Trenton and continued farming for one year; In 1865, on account of ill health, he sold that farm and purchased 14 71-100 acres in Sec. 33, and within the city limits of Beaver Dam, where he has led a more retired life; in 1847, he returned to York, Livingston, Co., NY, where, June 12 of that year, he married Mrs. Mary A., daughter of Robert P. and Sarah McGlashan, nee Holmes, and soon came again with her to enjoy his Western home. They have had three children--America L., deceased, Frank D. of Gary, Deuel Co., Dak., and Fannie N. Religiously, Mr. Brown is a Universalist.
DANIEL BRUECHER, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Danville; was born in Prussia in 1824; he came to this country with his parents, Daniel and Elisabeth Bruecher; his father entered 160 acres of land in Elba Township, eighty of which is included in the farm of his son Daniel; his parents had eight children, seven of whom are living, four of whom are residents of Dodge Co., two of Columbia Co. and one of Minnesota. His father died Nov. 1, 1857. He was married to Barbary King, whose parents came to this country from Germany in 1853; they have seven children--Louisa, Josephine, William, Edward, Elizabeth, Daniel and Charles. Mr. Bruecher has been a member of the Board of Supervisors of Dodge Co. for thirteen years.
Buckley, Rev. J.
REV. J. BUCKLEY, Pastor of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Beaver Dam; was born in the town of Mallow, County Cork, Ireland, November, 1846, and came to Wisconsin, September, 1870, locating in Milwaukee; he received his early education in the Abbey of Mount Mellery, Ireland; he took his classical course there and his theological course in All-Hallow College, Dublin; he was ordained June 24, 1869, and his first charge was as Assistant Pastor of St. Vincent de Paul's Catholic Church, in Logansport, IN; he then went to Milwaukee as Assistant Priest of St. John's Cathedral; in 1871, he came to Beaver Dam as Pastor of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, which pastorate he now holds.
JACOB BUEGER, farmer, Secs. 29 and 30; P. O. Clyman; born in Prussia Aug. 16, 1840; in 1847, his parents came to America and settled on sixty acres of wild land in Clyman; Jacob attended district school for a short time, then went at the work of chopping and clearing; when 24 years of age, his father gave him fifty acres, to which he added forty, which he yet owns; beginning $200 in debt, he cleared the farm and made a home; bought an interest in a thrashing machine when 17, and has followed the work continually since in its season, settled on his homestead of 160 acres in 1875; this he has cleared and improved, repairing the house, etc. Married, May 11, 1865, Miss Maria Irving, a native of Albany, N. Y., who came to Clyman in 1846; they have five children--Sarah, Mary, Ellen, Catharine and Christina. Mr. Burger is Independent in politics, voting for men and principles. Has his farm in good trim for grain and stock-raising, having high-grade Clyde horses, Cotswold and Leicester sheep, with other stock; this property he has earned, as he spent one winter in the pineries when a boy, thus earning enough to get a yoke of cattle, with which he began farm life for himself.
ANTON BUERGER, agent F., A. & P. R. R., Brownsville; born in Prussia, Province of Westphalia, March 31, 1853; came to America in 1866; spent one year in Detroit, Mich., then removed to Lomira, where he worked ten or eleven years as a carpenter and joiner; in 1878, John and Anton B. built the Brownsville elevator, now owned by Anton Buerger and William Chandler; Mr. B. was appointed agent at Brownsville June, 1878. Married, November, 1878, Miss Anna Bernard. Mr. Buerger is a Democrat, and is Justice of the Peace; attends the Catholic Church.
CASPAR BUERGER, blacksmith, Lomira; born in the Province of Westphalia, Prussia; came to America, January, 1864. Enlisted August, 1864, in the 104th N. Y. V. I.; was in the battles of the Weldon Railroad, Hatcher's Run; was in front of Petersburg until it surrendered, and was a witness of the surrender of Lee; was discharged July 17, 1864. On his return North, he worked at his trade in Detroit, the Lake Superior region, Toledo, Cleveland, etc.; settled in Lomira and opened a shop, March, 1871, where he has since lived and done business. He is a stanch Democrat, and is almost universally known as Caspar.
CROMWELL BULLOCK, farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. LomIra: born in Oswego Co., N. Y., Feb. 19, 1824; spent his early life and was educated in his native State; came to Mayfield, Dodge Co., Wis., in 1849, spending the winter in the Wolf River pineries; returning to New York, he worked two years on the Erie Canal; he then went overland to California; spent six months as a miner, then sailed for Australia; after two years of mining here he returned to San Francisco; took passage on the Golden Gate for the isthmus, the ship striking a rock and sinking on the way; all hands were saved by the fortunate proximity of an island; he landed safely in New York City, thence going to Philadelphia, where his savings were coined; he then bought land in Minnesota, but settled in Wisconsin, on his present farm of eighty acres; Mr. Bullock was one of the 3d. W. V. I.; was in the great battle of Nashville, and served until the war closed. He married Miss Mary A. Wheeler in 1857; they have four children--Clifford A., Josephine M., Alice L., and Elinor A. Mr. Bullock is a Republican in politics.
Burchard, Hon. Samuel D.
HON. SAMUEL D. BURCHARD, farmer; P. O. Beaver Dam; was born in Leyden, Lewis Co., NY, July 17, 1835, and came to Wisconsin in 1843, locating at Waukesha; in 1856, he commenced his business life by driving a stage on the overland route for Wells, Butterfield & Co., and in the same year took charge of a plantation in Central Missouri, and was engaged in stock-raising for five years; after which he purchased a coal mine in Johnson Co., MO, and from it supplied the Missouri Pacific R. R., Leavenworth, Kansas City, Sedalia, and intermediate points, selling to the above railroad the first coal they ever burnt in a locomotive; in 1858, he went to Beaver Dam, and, in connection with Mr. McFetridge, under the firm name of McFetridge, Burchard & Co., commenced the manufacture of woolen goods. This he continued until 1879, when he purchased a farm of 200 acres in Trenton Township, where he commenced farming on a large scale and with the most pleasing success. During the late war, he was Master of Transportation of Central Missouri until March 24, 1862, and until Sept. 18, 1862, was Master of Transportation of the Fifth Division of Grant's Army; in the fall of the same year, he was placed in charge of the receipt and distribution of the supplies for the Army of the Potomac; in the fall of 1863, he was sent by the Government to New York City to purchase forage, in the open market, for the supply of all the armies operating on the seaboard; his disbursements, while on duty in New York City, reached the enormous figure of $1,800,000 per month; he sent in his resignation in July, 1865, and it was not accepted until Oct. 31, 1865. Mr. Burchard has held the following offices, viz.: Mayor of Beaver Dam, one term; State Senator, two terms, and, in 1874, he was elected to Congress and served one term. He was married June 9, 1859, to Mary Jane Simmons, of Missouri; he has eight children living, named William T., Charles A., Martha E., Agnes M., Samuel F., Jennie, Esther, Susan.
Burgess, A. F.
A. F. BURGESS, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Beaver Dam; born in Windham Co., CT, Aug 29, 1818; came to Wisconsin in 1845; located at Beaver Dam Township, at his present place of residence, where he has since continued farming; he has been Assessor several years, also, Town Treasurer and Supervisor; is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the Grange; married in the State of New York, Sept. 22, 1846, Miss Rebecca Beackus, a native of Chenango Co., NY; has family of five children--Jay, Frank, Ruth A., Sarah J. and Ralph; is owner of 320 acres.
Isaac Burgess (deceased); born in Washington Co., N. Y., Sept. 11, 1822; came to Hustisford in 1845, and settled on eighty acres of Government land; built a log house, in which he lived a number of years with his father and brothers. On the 5th of May, 1848, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of John Chandler, who settled with his family on Sec. 1, town of Oak Grove, in 1845; the Chandlers built the first brickyard in Dodge Co., furnishing the brick for many of the noted old buildings therein. Mr. Burgess bought his first plow of S. S. Bushnell, and carried it from his blacksmith-shop, four miles east of Beaver Dam, to his farm, his family living two years in a log house; Mr. Burgess added to his farm, built a large farmhouse and several barns; he died Sept. 10, 1872, leaving his wife and three children--Charles, Eliza A. and Isaac. Charles Burgess was born in Oak Grove May 1, 1851, and has spent his life and been educated in the county. He married, Dec. 25, 1861, Miss Florence D., daughter of S. S. and Charlotte W. Bushnell, who were among the first settlers in the county. Like his father and brother, Mr. Burgess is a Republican. He now owns 160 acres, or one-half of the old estate. Mr. and Mrs. Burgess have three children--Charles B., Lone H. and Clark B. Mrs. Isaac Burgess still enjoys good health on the old homestead; her daughter is now the wife of G. C. Rice, of Oak Grove; the younger son is now in charge of her share of the estate, on which the brothers have Durham grade cattle, grade Merino sheep and Berkshire hogs.
Burns, Mrs. Affia
MRS. AFFIA BURNS, physician; was born in Deposit, Broome Co., NY, on May 27, 1839, and came to Wisconsin in June, 1876, locating in Janesville. From Deposit she moved to Luzerne Co., PA, where, at that place and Philadelphia, she received her literary education. In 1861, she commenced to read and study medicine; in 1863 to 1865 attended medical lectures at the Eclectic Medical College of Pennsylvania, graduating in June, 1865; her specialty being the diseases of woman; in June 1867, she commenced the practice of medicine and has practiced in the following places: Mount Pleasant, Henry Co., IA; St. Paul, MN; Janesville, WI, and in December, 1878, moved to Beaver Dam, and has since continued her practice with marked success. Mrs. Dr. Burns married, Sept. 20, 1860, Dr. J. J. Ely, of New York; second marriage at Dixon, KY, April 5, 1871, to C. R. Burns. She is a member of the First Presbyterian Church at Beaver Dam.
Burns, A. M.
A. M. BURNS, painter, Beaver Dam; was born in Curllsville, Clarion Co., PA, Nov. 24, 1847, and came to Wisconsin in April, 1856, locating in Plattsville, Grant Co., WI, where he received his education at the Normal School; after leaving school, he, in connection with Mr. Ayres, under the firm name of Ayers & Burns, went in the grocery business, which he carried on for about eighteen months, when in May, 1867, he moved to Beaver Dam and engaged with the Beaver Dam Agricultural Works as foreman in the painting department. Mr. Burns was Adjutant General and Inspector in the Order of the Grand Army of the Republic of the State of Wisconsin; he is also one of the Trustees of the Red Ribbon Club of Beaver Dam. He enlisted in the army in September, 1861, in Co. I, 10th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Col. A. R. Chapin, and was in the battles of Bridgeport, AL, Perryville, KY, Stone River, TN, Chickamauga, siege of Chattanooga, Dallas, GA, Burnt Hickory, Peach Tree Creek and siege of Atlanta; he was wounded in the knee at the battle of Chickamauga; was mustered out in 1864; he was the youngest solder in the State, having enlisted when but 13 years of age. He married, March 31, 1870, Betsy L. Whitaker, of Beaver Dam; he has three children--Nellie, Nettie and Luvia. Mr. Burns is a member of the M. E. Church at Beaver Dam.
PATRICK BURRELL, farmer, Sec. 29; P. O. Danville; was born in Ireland about 1822; he came to the United States in 1847; lived in Herkimer Co., N. Y. about three years; came to Dodge Co. and settled in Elba Township in 1851; settled on his present farm in 1853. He married Mary Duffy, who was born in Ireland; have had nine children, only two living--Mary Ellen and Jane. His farm contains 256 acres. He and his family belong to the Catholic Church.
Butterfield, John S.
John S. Butterfield, farmer, Sec. 6; P. O. Randolph; is a son of Jonathan and Polly Butterfield; born in Livingston Co., N. Y., in 1832; when 18 years of age, with parents, he came to Westford, Dodge Co., Wis., where he has since made his home, and followed farming; at the age of nineteen, he began working for Mrs. Alward by the month, which he continued for six years, and since that time has been cultivating her farm on shares; he has a farm of forty acres in Sec. 6.
LUTHER BUTTS, capitalist; born in Delaware Co., N. Y., June 24, 1825; son of Jacob S. Butts; his father was William Butts, who was a native of Connecticut, and was a soldier in the war of 1812; Mr. Butts' grandfather on his mother's side was Col. William Johnson, of Revolutionary fame; Jacob died in 1859, at thte age of 57. Mr. Luther Butts, in October, 1846, settled on a farm of 200 acres, which was bought at Government price, in Fond du Lac Co.; he carried o farming successfully twenty-seven years; during this time, he speculated in land, buying and selling farms, and came to Waupun in fall of 1873; Mr. Butts is the owner of the opera-house, the finest building in the city of Waupun. He married, July 19, 1845, Hannah Mann, daughter of Reuben Mann, a well-to-do farmer in Connecticut; she died Nov. 26, 1876; he married his second wife July 19, 1877; her maiden name was McDaniel; they have one boy--Luther J. Butts, born March 26, 1878. In 1878, Mr. Butts built a fine residence in the central part of the city of Waupun, where he now lives, enjoying the solid comforts of life. In the town of Alto, he was a member of the School Board for many years, and was largely and liberally connected with the interests of that town; he has obtained a well-deserved competence through his shrewd business tact and good management, and is a man of liberal and hospitable spirit.
GOTTLEIB BURKHARDT, saloon keeper, Kekoskee; born in Saxony, Dec. 16, 1815, received a university education, and was five years in the German Army, fought through the revolution of 1848; came to America in 1854; lived fourteen years as a farmer, in Brookfield, Waukesha Co., Wis., and came to Kekoskee, 1868; began and has since followed his present business; has the only saloon and restaurant in Kekoskee. Married Miss Ernestina Querengesser, 1849, who died in 1862, leaving three children--Emma, Lydia, and Frank, who is with his father; the daughters are both married. Mr. Burkhardt is a Republican, and a member of the Lutheran Church.
ALBERT BURTCH, retired farmer, Mayville; born in Herkimer Co., N. Y., Sept. 20, 1804; spent his early life and was educated in his native State; came to Mayville, Wis., October, 1845; is in the consequence the oldest resident of Williamstown; he pre empted 320 acres of heavily timbered land, and saw his full share of the pioneer hardships. Not a stick had been cut on the site of Mayville, except that Mr. Foster had made a start at building a dam. The first town meeting was held in the saw-mill, fifteen or twenty votes cast. Mr. Burtch married Miss Eliza, daughter of Judge Streeter, of St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., 1827; they have eight children--Louisa, Albert, Henry, Sophrona, Gideon, Maryettea, Alfred and Braiden W. Mr. Burtch is a Democrat, is one of the Village Trustees; was Chairman of the Town Board many years, and was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature in 1863. He is a well and favorably known pioneer of Dodge County. Two of his sons made good records in the Union Army.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2015 by Clare Guse.