|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
Cady, E. P.
E. P. Cady, farmer, Sec. 9; P. O. Beaver Dam; born in Addison Co., Vt., town of Hancock, Aug. 6, 1819; son of Parley Cady, who was born and brought up in the same county; his father, Noah, was of Scotch and Irish descent; Parley was in the war of 1812; he was a Baptist minister; was ordained in Crawford Co., Penn.; he died in July, 1869, in the town of Trenton. Edison P. Cady came to Milwaukee, Wis., May 14, 1840; went back to New York and married, Nov. 29, 1842, Jane Pratt, daughter of Isaac Pratt, who was from Vermont; in 1843, they moved to Belvidere, Ill., and then to Walworth Co., and came to Trenton, Wis., in 1847. His father and the family had 440 acres. Mr. Cady now has 142 Ĺ acres, a fine residence and a well-kept farm. He has been a member of the School Board and Chairman of the Board of Supervisors a number of times. During the war, he gave his aid and support to the great Union cause; went to Cairo at one time and brought twenty-five contrabands to Trenton. He is the father of nine children--Frank, born Nov. 24, 1843, died in infancy; Dwight, born June 14, 1846, died while a boy; Charles H., born Feb. 2, 1848, married Judge Parlinís daughter, of California, and is living at Ruby Hill, Minn.; Eliza J., born Sept. 24, died when a child; Albert G., born Sept. 14, 1856, married Art Vesperís daughter, and is living in Oak Grove; Addie, born in May, 1858, and is living at home; William E., born Sept. 2, 1860; May, June 5, 1864; Lilley, March 19, 1869. Mr. Cady and family are members of the Baptist Church at Beaver Dam, and he is a Deacon of the same church and has been a number of years.
Calkins, Russel D.
Russel D. Calkins, proprietor of cheese factory, and Justice of the Peace, in the East Ward, Randolph; is a native of Oswego Co., N. Y., son of Russel and Parmela Calkins; born in 1829; from the time he was old enough for business, till 1864, he was principally engaged in the various branches of the lumber trade in York State; in 1864, he came to Wisconsin, and settled at Cambria, Columbia Co., where for three years he engaged in merchandising; in 1867, he removed to Kilbourn City, Wis., where was continued the same business for one year; thence to Randolph, in 1868, where he was a member of one of the leading dry-goods firms for four years; in fall of 1872, he went to Ruggville, Penn., and for nearly one year was interested in an oil mine; in 1873, he returned to Randolph, erected a cheese-factory, and has since been engaged in the manufacture of that article. Has been President of the Village Board four years; was its first Assessor, and has been several times elected Justice of the Peace. In 1854, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Winsor Whipple, of Oswego Co., N. Y.; they have four children--Winsor, Frank, Edith and Sylvenus. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church; politically, he is a Republican.
Campbell, George S.
GEORGE S. CAMPBELL, miller, Beaver Dam; was born in Kenosha, WI, Jan. 7, 1842; from Kenosha he moved to Columbus, WI, and was, with his brother-in-law, in the milling business; in 1873, he moved to Beaver Dam and engaged with the Beaver Dam Flouring Mill as Superintendent. He enlisted in the army in August, 1862, in Co. G, 23d Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Col. J. J. Guppy, and was engaged in the battles of first Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, siege of Vicksburg, Port Gibson, Champion Hills, Black River Bridge, Fort Morgan, AL, second Fort Morgan, and also in a number of skirmishes; he received his discharge July 4, 1865. He married, Jan. 22, 1867, Harriet E. Butterfield, of Smith's Basin, Washington Co., NY; he has one child--James Franklin. Mrs. Campbell is a member of the First Presbyterian Church at Beaver Dam.
MICHAEL CARROLL, farmer, Secs. 6, 5 and 7; P. O. Richwood; born in Albany, N. Y., Feb. 15, 1835; attended school in his native city; came to Emmet in 1845 with his father, Michael Carroll, who bought Government land on Sec. 7; their cabin was farther west than any in Emmet at that time, as father and son spent much time hunting in the woods, and found no settlers west of them; fearing the Indians, Mr. Carroll hauled two-inch oak plank from Watertown, with which he inclosed his frame house; this is thought to be the first frame house in the township, and stands stanch and firm at this writing; a molder by trade, Mr. C. was a very green backwoodsman, not knowing how to fell a tree properly; a native of Ireland, he came to American when 18; spent two years in New York City, then located in Albany, where he learned his trade, and married Miss Alice Fox, the mother of his only son; she dying in 1836, he married, in 1843, Miss Bridget Gill; he died Jan. 17, 1879. Michael Carroll, Jr., married Miss Mary Burke in 1855; she died Aug. 9, 1875, leaving three children--Alice, Michael and John. Mr. C. is a Democrat and a Roman Catholic, as was his father. He owns 480 acres, and a house and lot in Richwood; has a large flock of Cotswold, Southdown, Leicester and Merino sheep, beside Cloud horses, etc.
Edmund Cary, farmer, Secs. 24, 25 and 26; P. O. Clyman; born in County Kerry, Ireland, about 1814; came to America in 1839, and settled in Quincy, Mass., where he lived until 1853, then located in Lebanon, Dodge Co., Wis.; worked here on a piece of wild land until 1856, when he settled on 160 acres of his present farm; this he has chopped and burned off, adding to it, and as a result of these toilsome years has a well-improved farm of 240 acres and a good home--a successful record, as he came to our country a poor man. Married Miss Ellen McCarthy, of his native village, about 1841, who died March 3, 1877, leaving five children--Michael, William, John, Edward and Mary (now the wife of James Moran); MIchael married Miss Julia Kelly May 8, 1876; they have two children--Edward and Ellen G. Mr. Cary and sons are Democrats and members of Holy Assumption Church.
Cawley, John G.
JOHN G. CAWLEY, wagon manufacturer, Fox Lake, Dodge Co.; born in Canada Nov. 29, 1842, son of Peter Cawley, of Scotch descent; he is living at Green Lake Co., Wis., at about the age of 70; is a well-to-do farmer. John, at the age of 21, went to farming in Columbia Co., Wis.; afterward went to Marquette; went to steamboating, ran from Portage to Neena on the steamer Fox; came back and worked for Aleck Patrick four years in a blacksmith and carriage shop; then went to Portage and worked for Geo. C. Jackson about eleven months; then went to Randolph Center and worked for John Chamberlain four years, and came to Fox Lake in April, 1876, and bought out W. K. Parker, and through his industry and good workmanship now carries on an extensive and constantly increasing business, making a grade of wagons noted for their durability and that are in general demand, also repairs farm machinery in satisfactory and workmanlike manner. He married, in January, 1862, Keziah Welcher, who came from Michigan; have had two children--Ida, born June 9, 1863, and Herby, born July 9, 1874. Wm. E., his brother, is engaged in the business with him, the firm name being Cawley & Bro.
Chandler, G. W.
G. W. CHANDLER, woolen manufacturer, Beaver Dam; was born in Warren Co., NY, Nov. 9, 1826, and came to Wisconsin May 22, 1853, locating in Beaver Dam; he learned the trade of woolen manufacturer in Amber, Onondaga, Co., NY; in 1850, he engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods in connection with Mr. G. H. Stewart, under the firm name of Stewart & Chandler, and after, in partnership with his two brothers-in-law, bought a farm of 280 acres in Oak Grove and continued farming for eight years; he then returned to Beaver Dam and for three years was business manager for G. H. Stewart & Co., woolen manufacturers, after which, in connection with Mr. G. B. Congdon, he bought out the interests of Stewart & Co., since which time he has been engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods under the firm name of Chandler, Congdon & Co. In Clyman, he was Supervisor for one year. He married, Jan. 10, 1852, Marcia Griffin, of Amber, NY, who died March 18, 1860. He again married, Feb. 3, 1863, Moriah Hambright, of Oak Grove; he has six children living--Jenevieve, Mabel, Charles, William, Arthur and Harley.
Chandler, J. H.
Chapin, E. W.
Chesebro, William D.
Childs, Dr. A. S.
Dr. A. S. Childs, Beaver Dam, was born in Moretown, Washington Co., Vt., May 6, 1843, and came to Wisconsin Oct. 10, 1855, locating at Omro, where he received his common school education; in 1868, he published the Omro Union, a weekly newspaper; this he continued for one year and then sold it out; in the fall of 1868, he went to St. Joe, Mo., and afterward to Shelbyville, Mo., where he published the Shelby Co. newspaper; he also commenced the study of medicine to prepare himself for a course in the medical college, which course he afterward took at the Hahnemann Homeopathic College at Chicago, in 1874; he then removed to Beaver Dam in 1878 and has since been engaged in the practice of medicine. He enlisted in October, 1861, in Co. C, 14th W. V. I., Col. Wood, and was engaged in the battles of Shiloh; Iuka, Miss.; Corinth, Miss.; Vicksburg, Natchez, Red River expedition; Augusta, Ark.; in the Missouri campaign after Price, and at Nashville, Mobile, and also in about fifteen skirmishes; during all these battles, he was wounded but once, and that but slightly in the scalp. Dr. Childs enlisted as a private and gradually rose through the grades of his company until he reached the position of Captain; he was mustered out Oct. 9, 1865, at Mobile, Ala. In Omro, in 1866, he was City Marshal for two terms. He married, Dec. 21, 1865, Harriet A. Hamilton, of Cambridge, Me.; he has two children--Myrtle and Ralph.
Christiansen, John P.
John P. Christiansen, farmer, Sec. 35; P. O. Hartford; born in Denmark in 1829; came to Wisconsin in 1847, locating at Pine Lake, Waukesha Co., where he engaged in farming for three years; in 1851, he went to California, and engaged in mining till 1854, when he returned to Pine Lake and remained about one year; in 1855, he moved to Ashippun and purchased forty acres, and opened a general store, continuing about eight years; in 1864, he purchased eighty acres in the town of Rubicon, afterward adding forty acres, his present homestead. Married, in 1855, Miss A. Olsen, a native of Norway; they have had seven children, six living. Mr. C. has been Supervisor, and is a Democrat in politics.
Christnacht, F. C.
F. C. Christnacht, agent F., A. & P. Railroad, and American Express Company, Mayville; born in Hartford, Washington Co., Wis., Sept. 25, 1855; he was educated in the Spencerian Business College, Milwaukee, graduating July 3, 1874; was two years in the employ M. & St. P. Co., as telegraph operator; was also shipping clerk for the Milwaukee Iron Company about one year; received his appointment at Mayville, June, 1878. He is regarded as one of the rising young men of Mayville, as he was trained to business from boyhood.
Clapp, George R.
George R. Clapp, lumber, Juneau; born in Salem, Washington Co., N. Y., Feb. 4, 1818; son of Col. E. W. Clapp, who was born in Clapptown, Washington Co., N. Y.; his father, Maj. Stephen Clapp, emigrated from Massachusetts, and was a Major in the Revolutionary war, was seven years in the service; settled in Washington Co., N. Y., bought a farm and built a flouring mill and saw-mill, built up a large business; he was born Aug. 10, 1752, and died May 3, 1829. Co. E. W. superseded his father in business, was also engaged in carding cloth; accumulated property through his good management. He was Colonel in State Militia, and lived and died in the same county. He married Sarh R. Rice, daughter of Col. Clark Rice, Nov. 10, 1814, of Massachusetts stock. In September, 1845, George R. Clapp came to Oak Grove on of the earliest settlers in this count; purchased 120 acres of the Government, and worked at the carpenterís trade for about a year, then returned home and went to Vermont, and was there most of the time for six years; returned to Juneau in 1851, and bought land, has bought and sold a good deal of land in the vicinity; sold out farming interest and engaged in lumber business about 1858, and has been carrying it on successfully ever since; was the first station agent here on the Chicago & North-Western Railway, and has also been express agent; through business tact and industry has accumulated means, built and owns one of the prettiest homes in Juneau. Has been on the Board of Supervisors and justice of the Peace. Married, Dec. 16, 1851, Lucy Hurd, daughter of Sylvanus Hurd, of Arlington, Vt., who was one of the prominent men of that section; have had four children--Frances A. (Married, Nov. 14, 1853, A. T. McCall, and living in Dennison, Iowa), George (born April 27, 1856, living at home, agent of American Express), Alfred W. (Born May 1, 1858, living in Dennison, Iowa), John R. (Born Nov. 17, 1860, won the running match, July 4, 1879 , at Juneau).
Clark, A. B.
Clark, A. L.
Clark, D. J.
Clark, James S.
Henry Clauson, elevator grain merchant; born in Denmark Nov. 21, 1845; son of J. P. Clauson; Henry started out for a sailor's life when 14 years old, and has been all over the world; was mate of the brig Johanna; touched at Leith, Zealand; Havre, France; Hong Kong and Shanghai, China, then to New York City and Philadelphia, and to Rio Janeiro, South America, to Montevideo, Batavia, Sumatra, and San Francisco, Cal., in 1865; was there two years, then went to Melbourne, Australia, to Sidney and New Castle, then back to San Francisco; was there almost eighteen months, and went to Boston by the way of Cape Horn; then to Milwaukee and was on the lakes six years; was ship-wrecked in Traverse Bay; in 1873, quit seafaring life, and commenced dealing in wheat, and now has one of the finest and most complete elveators in the county, and is doing a very successful business. Married, December, 1872, Lena Chlastenson; have had three children---Fred, born, October, 1872, died in infancy; Fred (2) born October, 1875, Leon, born October, 1877. Mr. Clauson is one of the Trustees of the village. His experience as a sailor and an officer on the ocean would of themselves make an interesting volume.
Edwin Clement, proprietor of the Clement House, Randolph, is a native of Missisquoi Co., Canada East; born Jan. 20, 1834; he is son of Loyal and Betsey J. Clement, with whom he spent his early life on a farm in Canada; in 1855, he left his fatherís home and fireside to make his home and try his fortune in the then new State of Wisconsin; he came to the town of Chester, Dodge Co., settled on a farm near Waupun and followed agricultural pursuits for six years; in 1861, on account of poor health, he returned to Canada for a year; then came again to Dodge Co., and for one year engaged in the hotel business, at Fox Lake; in March, 1863, he came to Randolph; bought the Union House, then a small building about 40 X 20 feet kept by H. H. Russell; this he had to furnish, and as his means at that time were limited to $250, he was compelled to use his finances very carefully; the house was paid for before the time agreed upon, and he at once began to enlarge--till now he has the largest hotel in the village. In April, 1864, he married Miss Emma A., daughter of R. T. and Almira F. Case, then of Waupun, but now of Hutchinson, Minn., she being a native of Vermont; they have one daughter--May. Mrs. Clement is a member of the Episcopal Church. Politically, Mr. C. is a Republican.
Ira Clement, farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Waupun; was born Sept. 4, 1826, in Lower Canada, and was the son of John and Elizabeth Clement, natives of New Hampshire. Was married, April 14, 1852, to Eliza Case, who was born Nov. 23, 1835, in Windsor Co., Vt., daughter of Royal and Almira Case, natives of Vermont. Mr. Clement came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1845, and located in the town of Chester, where he now has 150 acres of land worth about $3,600. In 1864, Mr. Clement enlisted in the 16th W. V. I., Co. B, Capt. Kelly, and remained in the army till the close of the war. Has two children--John, born Nov. 5, 1855, and Edward Walton, born Oct. 8, 1864.
Cleveland, W. J.
W. J. Cleveland, farmer, Secs. 16 and 21; P. O. Fox Lake; born in Tompkins Co., N. Y., April 19, 1813; son of Joseph Cleveland, who came from New York State, near the borders of Connecticut; his father was an old Revolutionary soldier; the family came to Dodge Co. (except a sister) Oct. 15, 1849, and settled in the town of Trenton; Joseph died March 31, 1853, at the good old age of 79 years 8 months and 2 days; he was Deacon in a Baptist Church many years, and was a much honored and respected citizen; William J. started on his own account about 1849, in Trenton, in Sec. 21; settled on 160 acres, and now has a fine farm, which shows that it has been handled by a good husbandman; is in comfortable circumstances, through his honest industry; when he first came here he lived in a log house, 16X18 in the inside; used to take his grain to Milwaukee with ox team. Married Mary E. Van Wagner, daughter of Nicholas Van Wagner, of good old Dutch stock, March 26, 1835; have had five children--Layfiette, born Sept 30, 1836, died May 8, 1851; Fanny C., born May 7, 1838, and died Dec. 27, 1840; Washington, born Oct. 27, 1840, married Georgiana Eggleston, and living in Palo Alto Co., Iowa, in the town of Emmettsburg, have two children--Myrtle and Rose; Cornelia Ann, born May 17, 1844, married James T. Smith, and living in Alta, Iowa, children--Willie, Ralph, Roy and Ira; George W., born July 8, 1853, married Eva M. Cady, daughter of L. J. Cady, a prominent farmer of Trenton, have one child--Leonard Wright, born Sept. 20, 1876. The family are members of the Baptist Church of Fox Lake; Mr. Cleveland has been Deacon of the Church many years; is a Republican, and gave his aid and support to the great cause of national sovereignty; he has been connected with the School Board many years.
Clifford, W. P.
Coapman, A. D.
A. D. Coapman, telegraph operator and station agent, Reeseville; was born in the town of Minden, Montgomery Co., N. Y., in 1837; in early life he received a liberal education, and learned carriage-making in his native town; in 1855, he went to Herkimer, and there worked at his trade until 1856; in the latter year, he came to Wisconsin, and lived in Wyocena, Columbia Co., until some time in 1857, when he went to Omaha, where he remained about a year, at the end of which time he returned to Wisconsin, lived in Portage a short time, then returned to Wyocena, where he remained until 1874, in which year he commenced railroading on the Milwaukee & St. Paul, now the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul R. R.; in 1876, he came to Reeseville, and has been engaged in the capacity of depot, telegraph and express agent there since. He married, in Wyocena, Wis., Miss Velaine Kellogg, a native of Summit Co., Ohio; they have two children--E. Herbert and Frank A. In politics, Mr. Coapman is a Republican, being an earnest supporter of that party and its principles since he attained his majority. His father, John Coapman, a native of Rensselaer Co., N. Y., held a commission as an officer in the New York State Light Horse Cavalry a number of years, and was, for a long period, Postmaster of the town of Minden, N. Y. He married, in his native State, Miss Hannah Cronkhite; they had five children--Norman, who served in the 8th Wis. Regimental Band during the war of the rebellion, was honorably discharged, and died at Wyocena, Wis., in April, 1878; Anson, now a leading farmer, near Wyocena; Abram D., whose name appears at the head of this sketch; James W., who studied law, and was admitted to the bar at Portage, Wis., when 19 years of age; he served all through the war of the rebellion as a soldier, being in active service most of the time, and received an honorable discharge at the close of the war; he is now District Attorney at Kewanee, Wis., a position he has filled with credit to himself and satisfaction to the people for over three years; Mary E., now wife of Charles Easton, Moravia, N. Y. Jacob Coapman, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was commissioned First Lieutenant of Co. in 2d Battalion, 5th Regiment N. Y. Artillery, April 6, 1807, and was promoted Captain during the war of 1812, in which capacity he served with distinction. Abram Coapman, great-grandfather of our subject, was commissioned Captain August, 1778, and was in active service during the war of the Revolution. Mrs. A. C. Coapman's parents, Eleazer S. and Catherine Kellogg, and family, settled in Wyocena, Wis., in 1855, where he resided until his death, in 1866; Mrs. C. is still living at Wyocena.
Cochran, J. B.
Cochrane, Col. John
Cole, A. M.
A. M. Cole, farmer, Secs. 14, 13, and 22; P. O. Hustisford; born in Lamoille Co., Vt., April 10, 1829; is the only child of Asa and Ruth Cole, who settled in Hustisford, June, 1847; Asa Cole bought 160 acres, which he soon sold to William Lehman, buying his present farm of 120 acres; father and son cleared this of the heavy timber, and in 1855, A. M. Cole bought his present farm of 120 acres, which he has cleared, erecting all buildings except his house; he owns besides, 80 acres of marsh. Nov. 29, 1854, he married Miss Susan, daughter of James Spear, who came from Maine to Dodge Co., Wis., in 1847; Mr. and Mrs. Cole have six living children--John A., Susan R., Allie M., Jennie J., Della K. and Mary. The Coles are all Republicans; A. M. Cole and son are noted breeders of full-blooded Poland-China hogs and short-horn cattle; in 1876, A. M. Cole bought a pair of full-blood Poland-Chinas of William Bloor, of Rubicon; in 1877, J. A. Cole bought another of Shepard and Alexander, Charleston, Ill., and has since purchased of the D. M. Magee Co., Oxford, Ohio, A. C. Moore, Canton, Ill., and W. W. Ellsworth, Woodstock, Ill.; John A. Cole is now the owner of about sixty Poland-Chinas; the Coles bought the full-blooded bull, Duke of Burnett, 9th of H. B. Sherman, 1872, of whom they have since bought Springbrook Lass, 25th and 27th; they also bought four thoroughbreds of Dr. W. M. Ormond, Milwaukee and Mayflower, 2d of ex-Governor Ludington; the Messrs. Cole now own seven full bloods and twenty-four grades, besides 110 grade American Merino sheep.
Horace Cole, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Juneau; born in Waterford, Vt., Jan. 5, 1824; son of Hezekiah Cole, who was originally from Woodstock, Conn.; his father was in the Revolutionary war. Horace came to Milwaukee, Wis., Sept. 5, 1844; then went to Watertown, where he worked for Bill Dennis; in 1845, went to Clyman and worked for Benjamin Fuller, and then for Waldo Lyon, and afterward settled on 120 acres in Dodge Co. His father was killed in 1847, by falling from a load of hay, and was crushed by the wheels. Horace assumed his interest in the town of Oak Grove, and, through his proper care and good management, now has a good farm of 298 acres, well improved. He married Sarah Morrison, daughter of John M. Morrison, April 1, 1853; have had eight children--Ella, married Thomas Holt, and lives in Beaver Dam; Hezekiah, is at home; Maria, died in infancy; Luella, is at home; Sarah J., Horace and Martha E. are living at home; John C. died in infancy.
Cole, Jesse B.
Jesse B. Cole, station agent, Burnett Junction; born Aug. 10, 1844, in Jefferson Co., N. Y.; son of Willis S. and Sophronia Cole, both natives of Jefferson Co., who went to Canada when he was an infant; lived there three years, then came to Wisconsin and lived in Beaver Dam a few months, thence to Woodland, Dodge Co., where they lived about twenty years; in the spring of 1849, came to Burnett, where they still reside; Jesse B. attended the High School in Horicon, from the fall of 1858 till the close of the June term in 1861; the next fall, after leaving school, he worked in the railroad yard in Milwaukee about three weeks, then ran as brakeman on the old Milwaukee & La Crosse Railroad about a month, when he was obliged to leave the road on account of poor health; the next spring (1862), he learned telegraphing of his brother, in New Lisbon, Wis., operated a short time at Mauston, Wis., then back to New Lisbon about a month, and was then appointed operator at Sparta, Wis.; May 20, 1863, was appointed joint agent at Burnett Junction of the Chicago & North-Western and Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroads and has held that position ever since; has also been agent for the American Express Company since May 1, 1868. Was married, Nov. 26, 1868, to Sarah J. Merrill, daughter of Lorenzo and Mary Ann Merrill, of Burnett; has two children--Frederick M., born Aug. 16, 1871, and Jessie Winnefred, April 22, 1878.
Philander Cole, farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Waupun; came to Wisconsin in January 1837 from Vermont, and settled in Rochester, Racine Co., where he followed farming till the spring of 1845, then came to Dodge Co., and located in the town of Chester, on the farm he now owns, which consists of 160 acres of land worth about $8,000. Mr. Cole was born in Windsor, Vt., Oct. 26, 1816; son of William and Mary Cole, natives of Vermont. Was married in Racine Co., Wis., in February, 1838 to Nancy, daughter of Benjamin and Nora Fowler, natives of New Hampshire; to get his marriage license, Mr. Cole walked from Rochester to Racine (twenty-five miles) one day, and back to Rochester the next, with the snow six to eight inches deep, and no track; Mr. and Mrs. Cole have seven children--Scott Wallace, born Feb. 29, 1840, now lives in Waupun; James M. born June 2, 1841; Mariette, born Sept. 24, 1842, now Mrs. Martin Heffron, of Monroe Co., Wis.; Susan Elizabeth, born Feb. 12, 1845, now Mrs. T. S. Hewett, of Chester; Philander, born April 9, 1844, lives in Oakfield, Wis.; William, born Oct. 13, 1848, and Frances E., born Nov. 8, 1852, now Mrs. Myron Morgan, of Oakfield, Wis.
Coleman, Hon. D. M.
Coleman, John B.
Collins, Dewit C.
Colt F. B.
Coman, S. T.
S. T. Coman, capitalist; born in Pittsfield, Berkshire Co., Mass., Feb. 20, 1816, son of Richard Coman, who was born in Cheshire in the same county; his father, Daniel, was from Providence, R. I., and of English descent; he was in the battle of Bennington, under Gen. Stark; he lived to be 82 years old, and died in Cheshire; Richard was born July 19, 1778, in the same town, and died Feb. 20, 1841. He was a farmer, and an old Jackson Democrat; his father, Daniel, was a Deacon, and one of the pillars of the Baptist Church, the same church that Elder John Leland was a member of; Leland was the one who sent Thomas Jefferson a sample of the products of the county, in the shape of an immense cheese, weighing about 1,000 pounds; it was shaped in a cider press. Mr. S. T. Coman commenced farming in 1840; had 110 acres, and afterward 300 acres; came to Fox Lake in 1857, then to Saratoga Springs for a short time, and in 1858, built a fine residence on Fox Lake, located there, and has been there ever since; has been engaged as a capitalist loaning money; in 1878, built one of the finest planing-mills in the State, complete in all its appointments. Married Fidelia Tyrrell, who was a native of Massachusetts; she died about 1859, was buried in Fox Lake; is living with his second wife, who was Mrs. B. Tillotson, from Greenwich, Washington Co., N. Y., and the daughter of John Barnard, an old settler and respected citizen of that county. Mr. Coman has been Town Clerk and Supervisor several years, and President of the Village Board; has been Trustee of the bank at Fox Lake for ten years or more.
Congdon, George B.
George B. Congdon, woolen manufacturer, Beaver Dam; was born in Otisco, Onondaga Co., N. Y., April 9, 1835, and came to Wisconsin in May, 1853, locating at Beaver Dam; from Otisco he moved to Beaver Dam and engaged in the woolen-mills as spinner; then as book-keeper in Coe & Schuyler's dry-goods store, and also as book-keeper with Hoyt & Smith, dry-goods merchants, and after, in George Smith's warehouse as book-keeper; he then took the position of teller in the Dodge County Bank and afterward cashier of the same; in 1859, in connection with Mr. Bogert, started a bank in Waushara, called the Waushara County Bank; in 1861, he moved to Madison, Wis., and was employed in the Quartermaster General's office as assistant book-keeper; then as clerk in the U. S. Marshal's office at the same place; in May, 1863, he was appointed Paymaster in the U. S. army, which position he held until October, 1865, when he entered as partner in the woolen-mill in connection with Mr. Chandler and S. P. K. and C. E. Lewis, under the firm name of Chandler, Congdon & Co. Mr. Congdon married, July 11, 1859, Celia Flanders, of Copenhagen, Lewis Co., N. Y.; he has two children--Frank F. and George C. Mrs. Congdon is a member of the First Presbyterian Church at Beaver Dam.
Conlon, J. H.
J. H. Conlon, harness-maker, Beaver Dam; was born in County Clare, Ireland, Feb. 21, 1838, and came to Wisconsin Nov. 7, 1855, locating at Wyocena; he received his early education in Owego, N. Y.; he was engaged in farming at Fountain Prairie for four years; was one and a half years in the restaurant business in Owego; he then for one year carried on a saloon in Columbus, Wis., after which he went to Madison and served an apprenticeship with G. V. Ott, harness-maker; then as journeyman in Oregon, Wis., and Columbus, Wis.; in 1870, he came to Beaver Dam, where for four years he worked as journeyman, and since that time has been engaged on his own account in the harness business in the store on Center street, south side of the bridge. Mr. Conlon enlisted April 10, 1861, in Co. B, 5th Wisconsin Milwaukee Zouaves, Col. M. C. Cobb, and was engaged in the battle of Williamsburg, Va., on May 6, 1862, where he was wounded in the thigh so severely that it was found necessary to amputate his leg June 20, 1862, at David's Island, N. Y.; he received his discharge July 8, 1863. He married, February 13, 1871, Mary M. Winebrener, of Beaver Dam; he has one child living, not named.
Connell, Thomas H.
Cooper, B. F.
Richard Copithorn, farmer, Sec. 6, P. O. Neosho; born in Ireland in 1817; came to Wisconsin in 1846, locating at Ashippun, where he purchased 80 acres, which he afterward sold, and purchased 80 acres on Sec. 6, his present homestead. Married, in 1846, Miss P. Luranton, a native of Ireland; they have had nine children, six living. Mr. Copithorn has been Supervisor, also Town Clerk, and member of School Board; Independent in politics.
Cormwell, James Madison
Cornell, David L.
Cowles, C. W.
Cowles, M. L.
Cross, Charles M.
Charles M. Cross, gents' furnishing goods; was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 17, 1851, and came to Wisconsin March 16, 1855, locating in Sheboygan; he received his early education at Rosedale, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., and spent five summers in learning the carpenter's trade with his father. On Sept. 16, 1870, he commenced clerking in Ripon, Wis., with Evers & Weller, dry-goods merchants, for one year; in 1871, he engaged in the manufacture of the Wheeler Windmill; this he continued for about one and a half years; in 1872, he went to Waupun and engaged as clerk for Silber Bros'. general store for one year; in 1873, he came to Beaver Dam and engaged with Crueger & Lehrkind, general store, as clerk; from there he went to Milwaukee as traveling salesman for Rich & Silber, ladies' furnishing goods; he then returned to Beaver Dam and engaged as clerk with A. P. Lawrence & Co., for one and on-half yeas; he then, in connection with Mr. Hambright, purchased the stock of gent's furnishing goods, etc., of E. L. Hall, and under the firm name of Cross & Hambright, located at 74 Front street, between Spring and Center streets; their specialty being custom work in clothes and suitings; they are doing a successful business.
Crowl, O. H.
O. H. Crowl, retired, Beaver Dam; born in Smithfield, Madison Co., N. Y., Oct. 30, 1820; came to Wisconsin in June, 1847; located in Lowell Township, Dodge Co., engaged in farming; 1849, went to Whitewater, Walworth Co., entered the employ, as salesman, of Pratt Bros., distillers; 1850, had his leg broken, and resided in Milford, Jefferson Co., until 1851, when he went to hotel keeping at that place; in the summer of 1852, began keeping the Green Mountain House at Oak Grove, Dodge Co.; 1856, returned to his farm in Lowell Township, remaining there until September, 1867, following, also, the occupation of auctioneer; 1867, went to Oak Grove, from there to Rolling Prairie; 1859, went to Fall River, Columbia Co.; went into the mercantile and lumber business with O. B. Prime; 1871, sold out to his partner and moved to Columbus, Columbia Co.; 1872, returned to Beaver Dam where he has since resided; 1878, Justice of the Peace of Oak Grove; was Town Assessor of Lowell, 1857-58; has been member of City Council and Senior Alderman; was member of State Central Committee of Prohibition Party of the State of Wisconsin; is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and Temple of Honor, of the Red Ribbon Club, and the Universalist Society. Married at Smithfield, Madison Co., N. Y., March 31, 1847, to Miss Elizabeth A. Sanders, a native of the place; have four children--three sons and one daughter.
Andrew Crowl, father of O. H.; born at Brattleboro, Vt., Aug. 27, 1794; moved with his parents to Otsego Co., N. Y., 1804, to Peterboro, Madison Co., 1807. In 1813, entered the U. S. A. in an independent company; served to close of war; in October, 1815, had conferred upon him the Degree of Master Mason in Western Star Lodge, is, therfore, probably the oldest Mason in the State, as this October will be the sixty-fourth anniversary of his initiation into the Order. He married, Dec. 25, 1815, at Peterboro, N. Y., Miss Lucy Wilber, who died in May, 1862.
Curphey, John T.
John T. Curphey, farmer, Secs. 20 and 21; P. O. Ashippun; born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1842; came to Wisconsin at the age of 1 year; the early part of his life was spent in Ashippun; in 1861, he made a trip through the Eastern States, also to England, visiting the home of his father, returning in 1863, when he resumed farming; in 1871, he purchased from his father 160 acres, his present homestead; he is considered a very successful farmer; raises both stock and grain. He has been Assessor two years. There is a natural spring on his farm that never goes dry, either winter or summer.
William Curphey, farmer, Secs. 20 and 21; P. O. Ashippun; born in England in 1815; came to Wisconsin in 1844, locating at Ashippun, where he purchased 160 acres, which he afterward sold to his son, John T. Married in 1840, Miss Elizabeth Clark, a native of the Isle of Man; they had three children, two living. Mr. Curphey was one of the early pioneers of this township, and the first crop of wheat he raised he brought to the Milwaukee market by ox team, taking five or six days for the journey. Democratic in politics.
Curtis, George W.
Dahl, M. K.
Daniel, Rev. John R.
Davenport, De Witt C.
De Witt C. Davenport, finisher in the Beaver Dam Woolen-Mills; was born in North Hoosick, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., and came to Wisconsin April 10, 1867, locating in Beaver Dam. He received his early education in Utica, N. Y.; he has worked in the following mills: Globe Mills, Utica, N. Y.; the Little Falls Woolen Mills, and with Chandler, Congdon & Co., and McFetridge, Smith & Co., as finisher, with which latter firm he is now engaged. He married in March, 1867, Adeline Teller, of Little Falls, N. Y., and has five children--Carrie, Kezziah, Adeline, Alma and Arabel.
Davis, Henry E.
HENRY E. DAVIS, retired farmer, P. O. Beaver Dam; born in Somersetshire, England, March 2, 1817; came to America June 5, 1830; resided at Schenactady, NY, three years, then went to Coberg, Canada, and remained a few months, when he came to Cleveland, Ohio, remaining in Ohio until October, 1849, when he came to Wisconsin; in November of the same year, he purchased a farm of 160 acres in Sec. 10, in the town of Burnett, Dodge Co.; resided on his farm until August, 1879, when he removed to the county, and he also owns considerable additions of land lying in the same neighborhood, which he purchased later. He was married in Brooklyn, Ohio, Dec 2, 1841, to Clarissa H. Olds; she was born in Brookfield, Worcester Co., MA; they have ten children living--Persico W., Rosaletta M., Parmenus H., Lillian H. (now Mrs. Chas. D. Andrews, of Fond du Lac), Elbridge C., Delmer E., Elmer E., Clara F., Jessie M. and Mary L. Mr. Davis is a millwright by trade, but has never followed that business since he came to Wisconsin.
Davis, John W.
John W. Davis, President of the First National Bank of Fox Lake. Mr. Davis is of Welsh descent, and came to Utica, N. Y., in 1840, and then to New York Mills, and was engaged with Benjamin S. Wolcott, of New York Mills fame, attended the Oneida Institute and studied law, and, in 1848, came to Fox Lake, and practiced law for several years; went into partnership with A. C. Ketchem, and were together about a year when he purchased his library, and carried on the business on his own account; in this business he handled collections largely and became the custodian of much property, and gradually worked into the banking business, and opened the first exchange office in Fox Lake; then started a bank under the State law, known as the Bank of Fox Lake, and afterward organized under the National Act; he has been President of the bank since its organization, with the exception of a short time, when William E. Smith, thte present Governor, was the President; the bank has never closed its doors on account of financial troubles, although many in that vicinity have not been so fortunate. Mr. Davis served four years as County Commissioner, and has been President of the village; was elected in 1853 to the Legislature, and again, the following term, was a member of the Committee on Claims, and also of the Judiciary Committee; was also Democratic candidate for State Treasurer, but was defeated by the present Governor, William E. Smith; in 1873, he was elected to the Legislature again, and met some members that were there twenty years before, among whom were H. L. Palmer, of Milwaukee, and Mr. Weil, of Ozaukee Co.; was on Joint Committee on Claims. Mr. Davis married, in 1846, Margaret MacConnel--their children are Alice J., married Charles W. Robinson, son of Mr. Robinson, President of the First National Bank of Bloomington, Ill.; they have had three children--Fred, Maggie and Arthur. Emma married W. H. Dawes, a merchant in Crete, Neb.; they have one child--Harry. Fanny married John R. Gamble, of the firm of Gamble Brothers, prominent lawyer at Franklin, Dakota; have one child--Lillie. Mr. Davis' other children--Lillie and John W., Jr., who are living at home. Mr. Davis is Trustee and Treasurer of the Wisconsin Female College, and has been since its organization, and was one of the principal movers in getting up the railroad that connects Fox Lake with the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad station.
Delaney, Arthur K.
Demarest, John B.
Dempsey, Rev. Thomas
A. Derse, farmer, Secs. 23 and 26; P. O. Alderly; born in France in 1816; came to Wisconsin in the spring of 1845, locating at Ashippun, where he purchased 145 acres, his present homestead. Mr. Derse is one of the pioneers of this town, and has been very successful in farming, raising both stock and grain. Married, in 1844, Miss Catharine Humbert, a native of France; they have had twelve children--eleven boys and one girl; his oldest son, Nicholas J., is proprietor of the hotel at Alderly. Mr. Derse has been Town Treasurer for several years in succession, Assessor one year, and Town Clerk three terms. Democrat in politics.
Derse, Nicholas J.
Nicholas J. Derse, Proprietor of Alderly Exchange; born in Ashippun, Wis. in 1845, where he received his education, at the district schools; at the age of 14 years, he worked on the farm of James Thompson for three years, afterward for Joseph Whilton for nine months, and James Lawson, for the same period; in 1876, he opened the Exchange Hotel, in Alderly, which is considered first class in every respect. Married, in fall of 1876, Miss Lizzie Laudy, a native of Emmet, Wis.; they have one child--Laura; born Sept. 10, 1878. Mr. D. has been Deputy Sheriff four years, also Constable.
Dexter, W. J.
De Young, Isaac
ISAAC DE YOUNG, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Beaver Dam; is a son of Joseph and Levina DeYoung; born in Bucks Co., PA, in September, 1845; when 2 years old, with parents, he came to Dodge Co., Wisconsin, where his father bought a farm of 177 acres in Sec. 18, and where he died in March, 1875, leaving a son, Isaac, and two daughters, as the only children; in October, 1876, Isaac married Miss Lena, daughter of William and Margaret Leisess, in the town of Calamus, Dodge Co., WI; they have one son--John J. Mr. DeYoung has been School District Treasurer for several terms. He and his wife are members of St. Peter's Catholic Church.
Dick, James J.
JAMES J. DICK, lawyer; was born in Westfield, Chautauqua Co., NY, Sept 8, 1836, and came to Wisconsin on May 1, 1856, locating in Marquette Co.; Mr. Dick received his academic education in Westfield, and thence moved to Marquette Co., where he engaged in teaching school; in 1858, he moved to Beaver Dam and taught in the High School of that place; in 1860, he went to Albany, NY, and studied law in the Albany Law School and was there admitted to practice in all the courts of that State; from Albany he returned to Beaver Dam and has practiced law up to present writing. In 1874, he was elected Superintendent of Public Schools in Beaver Dam. Mr. Dick married Aug. 5, 1862, Helen M. Drown, of Vermont. Mrs. Dick is a member of the Episcopal Church at Beaver Dam.
D. DICKINSON, lumber merchant, Beaver Dam; was born in St. Joseph Co., MI, April 1, 1843, and came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1866, locating in Milwaukee; he received his early education in St. Joe, MI; in 1868, he moved to Oshkosh, and engaged for three years in bookkeeping; on Jan. 1, 1872, he was admitted into partnership with R. McMillen & Co., lumber merchants, with whom he continued for five years; in May, 1877, he came to Beaver Dam and commenced the lumber business, corner Spring and Middle streets; he is also engaged in the lumber business in Leadville, CO, in connection with R. McMillen & Co., under the firm name of D. Dickinson & Co. He was married, March 6, 1871, to Mary D. Rodgers, of Newark, Ohio; he has one child living, named Jay R. Mr. and Mrs. Dickinson are members of the M. E. Church.
William Dodge, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Waupun; born in Vermont June 26, 1841; son of Nathan Dodge; the family came to town of Alto, Wis., in 1846, and to Trenton same year, and settled on 40 acres of land. Nathan married Eleanor Ackerman, daughter of Joseph Ackerman, of Waupun; he was a prominent man, and Justice of the Peace many years. When the family first came to Trenton they had no means, and lived in a log house; had no cows, and only one yoke of oxen, and one blind at that; they worked at husking and odd jobs, and earned the first wagon that way; they now have 233 acres, all clear and under good cultivation, and have a fine stock of horses and cattle, all of which has been attained through perseverance, hard work and good management. The mother now lives at home at the good old age of 79 years. The family are members of the Baptist Church.
PHILIP DOLAN, farmer, Sec. 32; P. O. Hubbleton, Jefferson Co.; born on Long Island, N. Y., in 1840; son of William and Bridget D., who came from Ireland to American in 1835; Mr. Dolan, Sr., was a quarryman on Bergen HIll, afterward working on Croton Aqueduct; he then removed to Long Island, going from there to the metropolis; after residing for awhile on Staten Island, he, in the fall of 1849, came to Shields, where he bought eighty acres of the Government, and adding twenty acres, clearing the whole of heavy timber, breaking the land and making a home; died Sept. 15, 1875, leaving a wife, son and daughter, now the wife of H. Murphy, of Janesville, Minn. Philip Dolan was educated in New York State, grew to manhood on the farm and married, Nov. 5, 1867, Miss Catherine Nagle, who died June 6, 1873, leaving two children-Lizzie and Margaret T. (deceased). Mr. Dolan is a Democrat and a Catholic, like his parents. Mrs. Dolan was Bridget Fanning, of County Cavan.
Dombrowski, Rev. Felix
REV. FELIX DOMBROWSKI, Priest of St. Michael's Polish Church, Beaver Dam; son of George and Elizabeth Dombrowski; born in Poland in 1839; began his studies in the Parish Schools of Calis, Poland, where he continued twelve years, after which he completed his preparation for holy orders in the Seminary of Calis in 1862; Dec 15, 1861, he was ordained priest by Bishop Marske, but did not enter at once upon the work of the ministry. In 1863, he joined the Polish army as Chaplain of a regiment, in revolution against Russia, and in March, 1864, he was taken prisoner by the Austrian army and held as such for eleven months; was released in February, 1865, and soon went to Paris, where he was priest of different churches for four years; in 1871, he came to America and was priest of Mulberry Church, Notre Dame and Assumption, near Galveston, TX, whence, in April, 1879, he came to Beaver Dam as priest of St. Michael's Polish Catholic Church.
Patrick Duffy, farmer, Secs. 17, 19 and 20; P. O. Clyman; born in County Meath, Ireland, March 15, 1807; came to America in 1831, locating in Rutland, Vt., where he worked four years in a blast furnace; spent one year in Ohio, then returned to Vermont and lived until the spring of 1846, when he bought 100 acres of his present farm, on which he settled with his family the next spring; having but little means to begin with, the family lived a number of years in a log house and did genuine pioneer work, the result of which is the well-improved farm of 260 acres, his two eldest sons owning 120 adjoining. Married, in 1841, Miss Mary Liston, a native of County Limerick, who came to America and to Vermont in 1838; she died Sept. 8, 1873, leaving eight children--Ann, James, Edward, Margaret, Patrick, Michael, William and Robert; they are all residents of Dodge Co. except Margaret, who is in a Baltimore convent, and Michael, who is in Nevada. Father and sons are Democrats. James Duffy has been Town Clerk and is now Chairman. The family are Catholics in religion.
Durkee, D'Loss E.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2012 by Clare Guse.