|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
Michael Eagan, farmer; P. O. Richwood; born in the parish of Clare, County West Meath, Ireland; came to America in 1835, and lived two years in New York City; came to Wisconsin in 1846, and purchased 120 acres in the town of Shields, Dodge Co. Married May 10, 1835, Ann Hafford, daughter of Mathew Hafford, born in 1815 in Longford Co., Ireland; have eight children--Mary, Jane, Thomas, Catherine, John, Bridget, Rose Ann, Michael. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church; was elected Constable two years; Independent in politics.
Eggleston, Charles H.
CHARLES H. EGGLESTON; born in Oxfordshire, England, Aug. 4, 1835; son of T. G. Eggleston, whose father was contractor for stone and quarry work; the family came to Syracuse, N. Y., about 1836 and to Milwaukee in 1838. Mr. T. D. Eggleston went to work on the capitol at Madison about this time; also built the first lighthouse that was built in the State; it was at Racine; afterward went to Waukesha and settled on a farm of 160 acres, but worked at his trade most of the time; in 1855, he moved to Fox Lake and took a contract to build the Wisconsin Female College; during 1863 and 1864, built the Ottawa University, at Ottawa, Kan. He married Miss D. E. Austin, and is father of six children--C. H.; Georgiana, married Washington Cleveland, and is living in Iowa; Helen, married S. F. Smith, and lives in Reedsburg, Wis.; Frances, married J. M. Price, and lives in Columbus, Wis.; Adelaide, married C. Starkweather, and lives in Beaver Dam, Wis.; Harriet, married A. C. Ricksicker, and lives in Cameron, Mo. Charles H. Eggleston enlisted in the 29th W. V. I.; was with Grant at Vicksburg and with Banks' Red River expedition, and at Mobile at the time of the explosion; was wounded at Port Gibson in the shoulder by a minie ball; afther the war, went to Ottawa, Kan., and engaged in mercantile business; was there about a year, and came to Fox Lake. Married, in October, 1866, Susan Blaisdell, of Bennington, N. Y. Went into the lumber business on Fox Lake, and, through his good management, has built up a very successful business; has been on the Town Board and Trustee of the village. Himself and family are members of the Baptist Church.
CHRISTIAN EHRHARDT, farmer, Sec. 21 and 19; P. O. Knowles; born in Alsace March 31, 1828; spent his life and was educated in his native land; came to America in 1846; spent one year in Milwaukee County, one year in Herman, and settled in Mayville, February, 1848; having no means, he worked at anything he could do until 1854, when he bought eighty acres of heavy timber land in Williamstown; this he cleared and improved, building a stone house and making a home; he settled on his present 200-acre farm in 1863, has cleared more than one-half of this, built a large stone house, raised and rebuilt his 40X84 foot barn, built a tasty horse-barn, and though he began with nothing, now has one of the best farms and homes in the county; near his house is a large spring, from which runs a stream large enough to turn a small grist-mill; he is now constructing a trout-pond. He married Miss Barbara Buchner in 1855; they have ten children--Mary, William C., Amelia, Martin, Anna, Edward, Lydia, Daniel N., Sophia, and Sarah. Mr. Ehrhardt is a Republican, and has been Justice of the Peace, and Assessor. He belongs to the Evangelical Association. He owns 120 acres in Le Roy, on which his eldest son and daughters Amelia and Sophia reside. Mr. Ehrhardt gave hearty support and pecuniary aid to the Union cause during the late war; he also gave over three acres of land to the F. A. & P. R. R. Co., thus securing a station and elevator within one hundred rods of his house. Mr. Ehrhardt is a public-spirited farmer, and a stanch temperance man, as are all his sons.
Eldred, D. F.
D. F. ELDRED, wagon-maker and blacksmith; P. O. Lowell; was born in Murray, Orleans Co., N. Y., Sept. 6, 1820; in 1833, he moved with parents, Holden and Polly Eldred, to Medina Co., Ohio; in 1841, he came to Wisconsin, and put up the first saw-mill in that place, and sawed the first lumber; he worked in Jefferson until 1842, when he went to Ashland, and, in December of the same year (1842), he came to Lowell, and built a log house on Sec. 22, this being probably the first house in that portion of Lowell Township. He married in Oak Grove, Feb. 22, 1846, Miss Sarah Deits; they have three children--Emmett D., now Postmaster at Minnesota Junction; Eldora and Charles. Mr. Eldred has resided in the town of Lowell and vicinity since 1842, with the exception of years 1847-1848, when he was in the town of Burnett; in 1855, he engaged in wagon and carriage making, and since that time he has done a good business; he has been Justice of the Peace in Lowell for over sixteen years, and has been chosen by his fellow-citizens to fill various other offices of trust. His father, Holden Eldred, was born in Hampden Co., Mass., Oct. 16, 1796; he was a soldier in active service during the war of 1812, and was in the battles of Plattsburg, Lundy's Lane and the storming of Queenstown, May 9, 1819. He married Polly Tryon, a native of Canada, born May 3, 1804; they came to Lowell, in this county, in 1842, thus becoming pioneer settlers of Dodge Co.; she died in Lowell Sept. 8, 1860; he went to Pine Island, Minn. in 1876, where he has since lived; they had thirteen children, seven of whom are now living. David and Patience Deits, parents of Mrs. Eldred, settled in Oak Grove, Wis., in 1845, and were about the first settlers of that town.
Elkins, H. H.
MARK ELLKINTON, farmer, Sec. 9; P. O. Lomira; born in Lincolnshire, England, July, 1816; spent his early life and was educated in his native land; came to America, November, 1851; spent two and a half years in Monroe Co., N. Y.; May 19, 1854, he settled on his present farm of 80 acres, for which he paid $1,000; only 30 acres were then improved; he now has it well improved--a large, modern, brick farmhouse, good barns, etc. Married Miss Ann Bush Sept. 9, 1851; they have eight children--Mary A., Mark P., John T., Evaline H., Chas. H., Orta, William H. and Frank. Mr. Ellkinton is a stanch Republican, and is a self-made and successful pioneer farmer.
E. ELWELL, lawyer, Beaver Dam; was born in Athens, Bradford Co., PA, Aug. 7, 1816, and came to Wisconsin May 31, 1847, locating at Sheboygan. He received his early education at Athens and then removed to Towanda, PA, where he studied law with his brother, Judge William Elwell, and afterward practiced two years in that county; from there he went to Wyoming Co., PA, and for three years practiced law; he then went to Sheboygan and for eight years continued the practice of law, after which he moved to Beaver Dam and has continued the profession up to the present writing. At Sheboygan, Mr. Elwell was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for one term; and 1853-54, was District Attorney for said county; from April 1857, to August, 1861, he ws Postmaster at Beaver Dam; the years 1867 to 1870, inclusive, he was District Attorney of Dodge Co. for two terms and from January, 1874, to 1878, was County Judge of Dodge Co.; in 1878-79, he was Mayor of Beaver Dam. Mr. Elwell married, Jan. 31, 1844, Mary E. Fowler, of Monroe, Bradford Co., PA; he has one child living--Edward F.
GEORGE ENGEL, , merchant and Postmaster, Kekoskee; born in Bavaria in 1843; was educated in his native country and came to America in 1857; resided in Le Roy, Dodge Co., until Aug. 15, 1862, when he enlisted in Co. A, 26th W. V. I.; was in the battle of Chancellorsville, and was then transferred to Sherman's army; was with this army to Atlanta, and from Atlanta to the sea; was honorably discharged on account of disabilities May 1, 1865. Settled in Kekoskee in 1866 and kept a saloon about one year; in June, 1867, he began his present business in Kekoskee, which he has steadily increased; he now has a complete stock of general merchandise; he has been ten years in charge of the post office. Married Miss Catherine Adelmyer in April, 1866; they have two children--Mary and William G. Mr. Engel is a Democrat; has been a Supervisor three terms and is now Justice of the Peace and Town Treasurer; is a member in good standing of Du Page Lodge, No. 79, I. O. O. F. His daughter, Eda B. L., died May 4, 1879.
CHARLES ERDMAN, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Hustisford; born in Prussia Jan. 23, 1841; spent his early life and was educated in the Fatherland; came to America in 1857, and settled in Hustisford, where he worked ten years as a farm laborer to get a start; located on his present farm of 112 acres in 1867; as it was only partially improved, he has done good work in fencing, clearing the land of stones, etc.; has earned this farm by his own labor and management. He married Miss Emma Bolsey May 9, 1867, who was born Aug. 23, 1849, in the town of Emmet; they have three living children--Louis, Obed and Charles; Amos died Nov. 2, 1879. Mr. Erdman is a Republican, and is in accord with the Lutheran Church of his boyhood; has the usual stock and crops on his farm.
EBENEZER EVANS, farmer, Sec. 9; P. O. Fox Lake; born in South Wales, March 12, 1815; son of Roderick Evans; his father was David Evans; Ebenezer came to Quebec, Canada, in June, 1844, and then to Rochester, N. Y., and then to Racine and to Fox Lake in the fall of the same year; there was only two houses in the village, one owned by Hugh Crudent and a log house called a tavern; Indians were numerous; Mr. Evans built a shanty and settled on 120 acres; cleared a quarter-section; was the first Welshman here; had to go to Fond du Lac and Portage to market, and drove oxen; went to a Fourth of July celebration, five miles, on a sled drawn by oxen; Mr. Evans now has 170 acres under good cultivation and a competency, through his good management and industry. Married, in December, 1841, Maria Jones, daughter of Evan Jones; have had four children--Roderick D. Evans, born Oct. 15, 1842; he married Maggie Tremble and is living in Randolph and is engaged in mercantile business, and is Town Treasurer; they have had two children--Harry and Mabel. Evan Evans was born July 23, 1845, and died in December, 1853. Benjamin, born Nov. 4, 1846; married Mary Price; he is living in Howard Co., Iowa, and has six children--Walter, Ebenezer, Maria, Hugh, David, and one an infant. Mary Ann, born Feb. 9, 1854; married Peter Dickson; have one child--Jessie. Mr. Evans has been Deacon of the Welsh Church for twenty-five years and was one of the founders of it; has been Clerk of the School Board eighteen years, also Assessor and Supervisor many times.
EVAN EVANS, deceased, was a son of Morgan and Annie Evans; was born in South Wales in 1821. In 1842, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Mason, of South Wales, and, in 1844, he came to Beaver Dam, WI, were he followed the blacksmith's trade for three years. He died in 1847, leaving her with two daughters--Elizabeth E., now Mrs. Samuel Bonner, of Westford, and Mary A., now Mrs. Tabor Thurston, of the town of Beaver Dam. In 1849, Mrs. Evans married Mr. Owen Roberts, a son of Humphry and Margaret Roberts, of North Wales, but an emigrant to Wisconsin about 1845. He being a resident of Marquette Co. at the time of the marriage, they removed there and made that their home for four and a half years, then returned to a farm of forty acres in Sec. 7, town of Beaver Dam, which she owned prior to her second marriage. Here Mr. Roberts died in April, 1963, leaving her a widow with five children--Adelade (now Mrs. George Knore, of Calamus), Mason T., Maggie E. (now Mrs. Samuel Snowdin, of Randolph, WI), Katie N. (now Mrs. Charles Snowdin, of Westford) and Abbie J. Mr. Evans was a member of the Baptist Church and Mr. Roberts of the Methodist Church.
Evans, Roderick D.
Evans, William W.
Fairchild, L. L.
JAMES FISHER, farmer; P. O. Beaver Dam; born in Vermont March 4, 1818; came to Wisconsin in 1853, locating at Beaver Dam; engaged at building and carpenter work; in 1860, he took contracts to the amount of $50,000; $20,000 in January and February of that year, principally in farm houses; in 1870, he took and sold the contract for the union school at Beaver Dam; in 1874, he built the Baptist Church; he also, in 1875, engaged in selling milk, having a stock and grain farm of 90 acres inside of the city limits. Married, in New York, in 1841, Miss Lucy Howard, of that State; he has three children, two sons and one daughter, C. H. graduated at the Wayland University at Beaver Dam and took a commercial course at the college at Chicago, IL; J. R. graduated at the State University at Madison, and his daughter is now attending the University at Beaver Dam.
Ford, W. H.
W. H. FORD, dentist, Beaver Dam; was born in Ashfield, Franklin Co., MA, Oct. 20, 1840, and came to Wisconsin in April, 1867, locating at Oshkosh. From Ashfield he moved to Plainfield, where he received his education; he then moved to Greenfield, MA, and studied dentistry with Dr. Joseph Beals for three years; in 1862, he moved to St. Albans, VT, where he engaged in his profession with Mr. McGowan, under the firm name of McGowan & Ford; then to Oshkosh, where he also practiced his profession for about ten years; from there he moved to Beaver Dam and since has been engaged in his profession with good success. He enlisted Sept. 9, 1862, in Co. A, 52d Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Col. H. S. Greenleaf, and was in the battle of the siege of Port Hudson; he was mustered out Aug. 14, 1863. Dr. Ford married, Sept. 22, 1869, Sarah Curtis, of St. Albans, VT; he has two children living--Francis Hoyt and Aurthur King. Mr. and Mrs. Ford are members of the Episcopal Church.
Fribert, L. T.
L. T. Fribert, lawyer, Juneau; born in Denmark Feb. 16, 1816; his father was an officer in the civil service in that country; Mr. L. T. Fribert came to America in January, 1855; was six months in Watertown and two years in Juneau, then went back to Watertown and remained six years, and for the past sixteen years has resided in Juneau; first two years in Juneau was clerk of the County Judge; studied law from his boyhood, practiced in old country when 20 years old; on his return to Watertown the second time, formed copartnership with Charles R. Gill, who was afterward for four years Attorney General of this State, and was also partner of Hiram Barber, now member of Congress from this district for four years; was also a partner of Judge E. C. Lewis at one time; through his known ability has a very large and extensive practice. Married, July 4, 1866, Mary Brand, of Milwaukee, sister of John Brand, of Elmira, N. Y., a wealthy and prominent citizen.
Fusseder, Rev. F.
REV. F. FUSSEDER, Pastor of the St. Peters Catholic Church at Beaver Dam, was born in Austria Sept. 3, 1825; received his early education in Saltzburg Institute, Germany; after he came to the United States he studied under Bishop Henni, of Milwaukee, and was ordained Aug. 18, 1850; he was then appointed Assistant Pastor of St. Mary's Catholic Church at Milwaukee; after leaving Milwaukee, he had charge of the Catholic Churches at Burlington, WI; St. Mary's Church at Watertown, WI; St. Magdalene's Church at Sheboygan, WI; St. George's Church at Kenosha, WI; St. Mary's Church at Racine, WI; St. Peter's Church at Oshkosh, WI; St. Mary's Church at Cascade, WI; St. Mary's at Fort Washinton, WI; St. Mary's at Belgium, WI, and, in July, 1866, moved to St. Peter's at Beaver Dam, which Church he is now Pastor of. He has also been instrumental in building the following churches and schools: St. Alphonse's Church at Wheatland, WI; a schoolhouse in Burlington; a church in Walworth Co., near Delavan; a church in Menosha, WI; a church in Northport, WI; a church in Buchanan, WI; a church for the Germans in Oshkosh; a church in Silver Creek; a church in Port Washington; Church of the Holy Cross in Belgium, WI; a parish house in Cascade, WI; and the St. Mary's School in Beaver Dam.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2015 by Clare Guse.