|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
Gee, J. S.
C. GERMAIN, Beaver Dam; born in Rush, Monroe Co., NY, June 14, 1827, where he received his early education; came to Wisconsin in 1843, and located at Milwaukee; his first business was ferrying passengers over the Milwaukee River, at 5 cents; then worked for Nat. Prentiss two years, learning the trade of carpenter and joiner; in the spring of 1845, moved into Milwaukee Township, to work on farm, assisting his father, hauling wood with an ox team into Milwaukee; in 1846, went to Fox Lake, and hauled timber with an ox team for the mill-dam at that place; he rented and worked a farm that year, and everything was killed with frost; in the spring of 1847, came to Beaver Dam; worked at carpenter work for Mr. Loomis, and others two years; in 1851, went to Ionia, and helped build a grist mill at that place; returned to this county, and for a time worked at his trade, then went to keeping livery stable; in 1857-58, was contractor on the old La Crosse R. R.; from 1852 to 1856, was Deputy Sheriff; in 1861, was appointed Under Sheriff; in 1862, was elected Sheriff, and held the offices of Sheriff and Under Sheriff until 1870, but virtually Sheriff the whole time; in 1871, returned to Beaver Dam; during that year was contractor on the Sheboygan & Fond du Lac R. R.; in the spring of 1878, built an elevator at Renville Station, MN, which he ran one year, when poor health compelled him to leave the business and return home; was Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms for the State General Assembly of 1874, and a member of the General Assembly of 1875; is at present a member of the City Council from the Second Ward. Married, at Fox Lake, in 1851, Miss Emily A. Brower, a native of Rockland Co., NY; has eight children--Lina, Mary E., Jennie L., Nellie A., Polly D., Valbert, Alfred and Henrietta.
Gibson, J. S.
J.S. Gibson, farmer; P. O. Beaver Dam; born in Clifford, Susquehanna Co., Penn., April 22, 1825; came to Wisconsin in September, 1840, locating at Racine, where he was for two years, engaged in selling the Cole Thrasher, and the Buffalo Pitt's Thrasher; in 1844; he moved to Lowell, Dodge Co., and commenced farming, at first with eighty acres, afterward increasing it to 600 acres; this he continued for twenty-five years, and for about fifteen years of that time was also engaged in selling seeders, thrashers, etc; in February, 1869, he came to Beaver Dam, and engaged in the agricultural business for seven years, continuing his farming and has now large farms in Dodge County, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas; is also engaged in raising cranberries in Monroe and Jackson Cos., Wis.; in 1863, he was Supervisor of Lowell. He married, Dec. 8, 1846, Susan S. Eldred, of Plainfield, Mass.; he has one child— S. E. Gaines.
Gibson, J. W.
J. W. Gibson, farmer; Sec. 8, P. O. Lowell; was born in Clifford, Susquehanna Co., Penn., Dec. 31, 1827; in 1836, he moved with his parents to White Pigeon Prairie, thence to Michigan City, Ind., in September of the same year, from which place they removed to Racine, Wis., in 1843, and in June of the following year they came to this (Lowell) township, and settled on Sec. 18. Sept. 30, 1855, he married Miss Rosetta Nickerson; they have seven children— William C., Josephine, Anna E., Joseph, Ulysses G., Ursula, Celia E. Politically, in early life, Mr. Gibson acted with the Whig party; on the organization of the Republican party, he joined its ranks, and has remained a firm supporter of that party and its principles. In October, 1847, he was commissioned Lieutenant of Co. 5, Militia, by Henry Dodge, then Territorial Governor. He has taken an active interest in educational interests, and has been called on to fill various school offices. He owns 147 acres of land, well improved. His father, William Gibson, was born in England in 1790; he married, in his native country, Miss Lydia A. Whiting; they emigrated to Philadelphia, Penn., in 1817, where they lived until 1836, when they moved to White Pigeon, Mich.; thence to Michigan City, as before stated, in the autumn of the same year, where she died in 1837, and he married, in the same city, Mrs. Julia Ann Rose, and moved to this (Lowell) township in 1843; having lived the year prior to that in Racine, Wis.; he died in 1872 and she in 1871. By William Gibson's marriage with Lydia A. Whiting, there were ten children, viz., Elizabeth (who married William B. Smith— he is now deceased), Jabez (now deceased), Richard (now a resident of Floyd Co., Iowa), Mary J. (now wife of Joseph Winters), Joseph (now a resident of Beaver Dam). J. W. (whose name heads this sketch), Caroline (wife of G. W. Boland), Charlotte (now deceased), Hanna Ann (wife of D. South); by second marriage there were no children.
JOHN GOEGGERLE, brewer, Beaver Dam; was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, April 30, 1828, and came to Wisconsin in 1853, locating at Madison; in 1855, he came to Beaver Dam, and bought the Beaver Dam Brewery, and has run it with good success ever since; Mr. Geoggerle was School Commissioner of the First Ward one term. He married, May 6, 1857, Julia Swant, of Prussia; has nine children--Mary, Julia, John, Frank, Louis, Henrietta, Edward, Adolphe and Charlie.
Goodwin, Asa F.
ASA F. GOODWIN, farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. Mayville; born in Lenox, Madison Co., N. Y., in 1813; resided in his native State until 1847, when he pre-empted and settled upon eighty acres in Williamstown, Dodge Co., Wis.; he sold this tract and bought eighty acres on Sec. 11, town of Hubbard; after clearing a number of acres of this he sold again and settled on his present farm of 120 acres; this he has cleared, fenced and improved, doing his share of pioneer work; he built his large farmhouse in 1867, and has the best of barns and outbuildings. He married Miss Eleanor Smith on Dec. 10, 1837, who died Feb. 15, 1869, leaving one daughter, Ellen, now the wife of Mr. Philpot. Mr. Goodwin married, August, 1874, Mrs. Celestia Goodrich, daughter of W. Cranston, of Monroe Co., N. Y.; Mrs. Goodwin came to Michigan when quite young, and married Thomas Goodrich, who died in 1865, leaving four children--Daniel W., Eleanor A., Mary E. and Henry C. Mr. Goodwin is a Republican, and has been Justice of the Peace; his wife is a Baptist in religion.
EDWARD GOODWIN, farmer, Sec. 30; P. O. Columbus; is a son of Thomas and Jane Goodwin; born in County Tipperary, Ireland, in July, 1834; in 1851, he came with his brother John to America, and lived for eighteen months in New York City, where he followed tanning; then for nine months he was employed on a steamboat on the Hudson River; in 1854, he went to Rensselaer Co., N. Y., where for nearly two years he followed farm work; in 1856, with his brother John and father’s family, who had just come from Ireland, he immigrated to Fox Lake, Dodge Co., Wis.; eighteen months after he removed to a farm of forty acres in Sec. 30, Westford, which he bought about that time; now has 170 acres in Secs. 30 and 31. In 1856, married Miss Mary, daughter of Thomas and Johanna Delaney, a native of County Tipperary, Ireland; they have six children--Thomas E., John P., Julia M., Annie J., Eliza L. and Mary E. The family are members of St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
Goodwin, James H.
JAMES H. GOODWIN, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Neosho; born in Saratoga Co., N. Y., in 1820; came to Wisconsin in 1852, locating at Rubicon, where he purchased eighty acres, his present homestead; Mr. Goodwin raises both stock and grain, and is also an extensive breeder and dealer in blooded fowl. Married, in 1852, Miss Lucy Goodwin, of Oswego Co., N. Y., who died from an accident, March 20, 1877 at Rubicon; they have had two children--Mirette, born in 1857, and Orlando W., in 1859. Mr. G. is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows, Hartford Lodge, No. 127; Republican in politics.
Goodwin, Oliver B.
OLIVER B. GOODWIN, farmer, Sec. 28; P. O. Rubicon; born in Saratoga Co., in 1833; came to Wisconsin in 1834, locating at Rubicon, where the early part of his life was spent, and he resided until the time of his father’s death, in August, 1875, when he took control of the farm of eighty acres; Mr. G. makes a specialty of Berkshire hogs, half-Durham stock and blooded fowl. He has been School Treasurer, also Worthy Chief in the Temple of Honor and Good Templars; Republican in politics.
Gowdey, D. C.
D. C. GOWDEY, editor, Beaver Dam Argus; was born in New York City Aug. 3, 1841, and came to Wisconsin May 30, 1846, locating in Beaver Dam; he received his education in the public schools of Beaver Dam, finishing at Wayland University; Mr. Gowdey has been connected with the following newspapers: Republican and Sentinel, Democratic Post, Democrat, Citizen, Horicon Argus, Beaver Dam Argus; this last paper he, in connection with Mr. B. F. Sherman, bought out and are still publishing at the present writing; in 1866, he was City Clerk of Beaver Dam, and held the office six terms; in 1874, he was member of the Assembly, from Beaver Dam; in 1878-79, he was Alderman of the Third Ward. Mr. Gowdey married, April 11, 1865, Adaline T. Nelson, of Milton, VT; he has six children--Nelson L. M., Laura A., Hattie A., Margaretta L. and William H. W.; the last not named.
Graham, R. L.
MYRON G. GRAVES, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Oakfield; born in Cortland Co. N. Y., Sept. 30, 1836; son of Austin and Sophronia Graves, who settled on eighty acres of Government land i Le Roy in May, 1846; this was the third or fourth family in the town; Mr. Graves buildt a log house, and, on the 20th of May, with three others, cut the first road to the Mayville saw-mill and brought back a load of lumber. Austin Graves cleared this farm and made a home; he died in February, 1879, leaving his wife and four sons. M. G. Graves was educated in the county, where he lived until September, 1861, when he enlisted in the famous 10th W. V. I.; was captured at Pulaski, Tenn.; paroled, and, returning to Wisconsin, was honorably discharged in July, 1862; in 1864, he went overland to Nevada and California, remaining about four years. On his return, he married Miss Lydia A., daughter of P. H. Kinyon, Dec. 26, 1869; they have four children--Eva L., Walter K., Hattie E. and Nellie L. Mr. Graves owns the old farm; he is Republican, and a member, with his wife, of the M. E. Church.
Green, J. M.
J. M. Green, farmer and manufacturer of brick, Sec. 1; P. O. Lowell; was born in Lowell Township, Dodge Co., Wis., March 23, 1845. Aug. 21, 1873, he married, in Columbus, Wis., Miss Ella M. Cramer, daughter of Marcus and Eliza Cramer, early settlers of this (Dodge) county; they have two children--William H. and Clarence M. In politics, Mr. Green is a Republican. He owns a large and finely improved farm; in addition to managing his farm, he is extensively engaged in the manufacture of brick, which are widely known for their excellent qualities. He has been Chairman of the Township Board of Supervisors two terms, and has also filled other local offices. His father, William H. Green, was a native of Hampton Co., N. H.; he married, in his native county, Eliza Grout; in the spring of 1844, they emigrated to Watertown, Wis.; thence to this (Lowell) township in the autumn of the same year; he died March 14, 1876; she is still living, and a resident of Lowell Township. Mrs. J. M. Green’s father, Marcus Cramer, at the breaking-out of the war of the rebellion, enlisted in Co. K, 11th W. V. I.; he was wounded at the siege of Vicksburg, and died from the effects shortly after; the records of the regiment he served in show that he was a genial comrade and a brave soldier.
Griffin, H. C.
Griffis, W. C.
W. C. GRIFFIS, druggist; born in Chatham, County Kent, Upper Canada, June 14, 1825; he studied with Drs. Pegley & Cross, and graduated in 1846, as physician and druggist, at Montreal College; came to Wisconsin in 1853, locating at Neenah, where he opened a drug store on his own account, and continued the same until 1856; he then moved to Appleton, and engaged in general merchandising, while he continued for three years; he then went to Canada, to close up a bankrupt stock for his brother-in-law; in 1862, he went to Beaver Dam and started the drug business, his present location being on Front street, between Center and Spring, known as the City Drug Store; in 1871, he was elected School Commissioner of the Fourth Ward. He married, Sept. 10, 1847, Margaret Aiken, of Canada, who died July 7, 1861; he again married, Sept. 21, 1863, Charlotte Frost, of England, who died March 17, 1869; he again married, Nov. 16, 1870, Sarah J. Erway, of New York State; he has four children--Martha A. Orville A., Herbert A. and Willie J.
Grinnel, T. B.
T. B. GRINNEL, retired, Beaver Dam; born in Farmington, Ontario Co., NY, June 10, 1819; came to Wisconsin in 1857, locating in Calamus Township, Dodge Co., engaging in farming, which he continued until 1875, when he moved to Beaver Dam, where he died Oct. 10, 1879; while in Calamus, he was Justice of the Peace six years. He was a member of the Baptist Church. Married, at Perrington, Monroe Co., NY, May 4, 1842, Miss Sarah E. case, of Perrington, NY; two children living; widow owns a farm of 150 acres.
Gunn, George C.
GEORGE C. GUNN, retired, Beaver Dam; born in Oneida Co., NY, June 6, 1813; came to Wisconsin in June, 1843; located at Jefferson Township, Jefferson Co., and engaged in farming, in 1846, came to Dodge Co., and went to farming in Trenton Township; in 1869, sold his farm of 360 acres, and took in part pay his present residence at Beaver Dam, to which he retired, and where he has since resided. He married, in Oneida Co., NY, Oct. 12, 1867, Miss Mary A. Hinckley, a native Oneida Co., NY; has had a family of two daughters, one only living.
GEORGE HALL, carpenter; born in Painted Post, Steuben Co., NY, Dec. 16, 1824, and came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1855, locating in Hustisford; he learned the carpenter trade in Philipsport, NY, and afterward engaged in the carpenter business there on his own account, which he continued for six years. In 1855, he went to Milwaukee, and hired out to Alanson Sweet & Co., lighthouse builders, and went to Lake Superior to assist in building lighthouses along this lake. In the fall of the same year, he went to Hustisford and entered the carpenter business on his own account; in 1856, he went to Beaver Dam, and from that time until the present, with the exception of one year, in which he was engaged in the war, he has worked at his trade, his present location being corner Front and Beaver streets. He enlisted during the war, Jan. 4, 1864, in Co. D., 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Col. Thos. Allan, and was engaged in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Hatcher's Run, VA, near Petersburg, VA, and storming of Petersburg; he was wounded above and a little back of the right temple in the battle of Spottsylvania; he received his discharge June 13, 1865. Mr. Hall married, October, 1846, Jerusha A. Hall, of Connecticut, who died Oct. 4, 1878.
James Hall, merchant and Postmaster, Hustisford; born in Washington Co., N. Y., Dec. 5, 1821; in 1826, his parents settled in Lockport, N. Y., where he was educated and lived until 1848, when he removed with his family to Hustisford; he bought forty acres of Government land and forty acres of a settler, working as a pioneer farmer until 1855, when he began business in Hustisford with J. McRae, and is thus the oldest resident business man of the place; has carreid on business alone since 1857; Mr. Hall has a general stock of goods for country trade, owning the building in which the stock is located. He is a Republican; was Town Clerk several years, and was appointed Postmaster in June, 1868. Married Miss Elizabeth Wilson, of Lockport, N. Y., in January, 1848; they have two daughters--Emily E. and Mary J.
Hallock, Dr. W. E.
JOSEPH HAMMER, farmer, Sec. 36; P. O. Beaver Dam; is a native of Prussia; son of Joseph and Mary Hammer; born in 1838; came to America in 1853, and settled in the town of Westford, Dodge Co., WI, where he followed farming until 1868; in 1866, he bought of his father a farm of 120 acres, in town of Westford, and, in two years after, sold that and bought his present farm of 160 acres in Sec. 36, town of Beaver Dam; he now has 146 acres in that section. He married Miss Francis, daughter of Geroge and Barbara Goeshl, of Westford, in 1860; they have eleven children--Michael, Albert, Edward, Frank, Francis, George (deceased), Mary E., Joseph P., Ida B., Anna R. and William G. The family is connected with the Catholic Church.
MATHIAS HAMMER, farmer, Sec. 8; P. O. Beaver Dam; was born in Prussia Aug 4, 1843; at the age of 8, he with his father's family, came to America and settled on a farm in the town of Westford, Dodge Co., WI, where he lived for twenty-two years; in 1875, he sold a farm of 107 acres, which he owned in that town, and bought his present one of 160 acres in Sec. 8, town of Beaver Dam; probable value, $50 per acre. He married Miss Augusta, daughter of Valentine and Mary Ptashinski, of Westford, in 1862, she being a native of Prussia; they have had six children--Mary, Joseph, Albert (deceased), Johannah, Hannah and Phillip. Mr. and Mrs. Hammer are members of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
JAMES HARLEY, Superintendent Woolen Mills, Beaver Dam; was born in Scotland July 27, 1828, and came to Wisconsin in June, 1869, locating in Beaver Dam; in Scotland, he was Superintendent of the Devonvale Woolen Mills, running between 4,000 and 5,000 spindles; from Scotland he went to Canada and was there engaged in manufacturing woolen goods on his own account, and after, as Superintendent of Barber Bros.' Woolen Mills; he then moved to Oswego Falls, NY, and was Superintendent of the Oswego Falls Woolen Mills of that place; from Oswego Falls he went to Seneca Falls, NY, and became Superintendent of the Phenix Woolen Mills, and from there to Syracuse, NY, where he was Superintendent of Syracuse Woolen Mills; from Syracuse he moved to Utica, where he was Superintendent of the Globe Woolen Mills; then to Maumee City, where he was Superintendent and also had an interest in the Washington Woolen Mills, which continued from 1867 to 1868; he then moved to Beaver Dam, where he became Superintendent of the Woolen Mills of Chandler, Congdon & Co., which position he now holds. Mr. Harley married, in 1855, Catherine McIntosh, of Scotland; he has four children--William A., David, Elizabeth and James. Mr. and Mrs. Harley are members of the First Presbyterian Church of Beaver Dam.
Harris, W. W.
Hart, E. B.
E. B. Hart, farmer, Secs. 21 and 22; P. O. Hustisford; born in Oswego Co., N. Y., Nov. 11, 1814; when he was 8 or 9 years of age, his parents settled in Monroe Co., N. Y., where he lived until 1836, when he settled on Government land in Milwaukee Co., Wis.; reached his claim by the aid of marked trees; lived with two other pioneers in a small shanty, bringing out his family the same fall and building a log house the next spring; he saw his full share of pioneer adventures and hardships; carried mail about a month between Port Washington and Sheboygan, traveling the thirty-mile route by blazed trees and Indian trails and fording the streams; in 1855, he bought his present farm of 185 acres; paid $1,700 for 160 acres, only twelve or fifteen acres of which were improved; has cleared a great part of this himself, and made alll the improvements; Mr. Hart has a good record, as he began in the State with $42, and has carved out his farm and home. He married Miss Amret Nichols, of Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1835; they have eight living children--Clement L., Olive, Mary H., John R., Melvina, Amanda, Emma and Eli. Mr. Hart is a Republican, and served as Assessor in Milwauke Co.; is a member with his wife of the M. E. Church. Has Cloud horses and other stock, with the usual crops of the county.
Hawley, F. H.
F. H. HAWLEY, music-dealer; born in Floyd, Oneida Co., NY, Jan. 29, 1829; came to Wisconsin in May, 1846, locating in Waukesha; he received his early education in Otsego Co.; in Trenton, he assisted his father on the farm, and afterward farmed it on his own account for about four or five years; he then went to Steele Co., MN, and bought 120 acres of land which he farmed for about four and a half years; in the fall of 1870, he came to Beaver Dam and started in the music business; is agent for the Smith, Kimball and Shoninger Organs and the Kimball and Hale Pianos; has also a full line of sheet music and music-books; in Trenton, he was Justice of the Peace for two years, and also Supervisor; in Minnesota for two years Assessor. He married, on March 25, 1854, Cornelia Davis of New York; has five children--Frank, Ethelinda, Frederick, Elmer and Emerson; the last two twins. Mrs. Hawley is a member of the First Presbyterian Church.
SILAS HAWLEY was born in Amherst, MA, Aug. 15, 1815; his parents were Silas and Elizabeth Marsh Hawley; his family are descendants of an English ancestor who early settled in Massachusetts; a brother settled at the same time in Connecticut; Maj. Joseph Hawley, of Northampton, a Titan in the Revolution in eloquence and prowess, was an immediate ancestor; with him, according to Bancroft, originated the idea of the American Republic. He says, "Hawley was the first to discern, through the darkness, the coming National Government of the Republic even while it still lay far below the horizon; and he wrote from Watertown, to Samuel Adams: 'The eyes of all the Continent are fastened on your body, to see whether you act with firmness and intrepidity, with the spirit and despatch, which your situation calls for; it is time for your body to fix on periodical annual elections--nay, to form into a Parliament of two Houses.'"--Hist. of U. S., Vol. VIII., p. 136. President Hawley, of Cambridge University (though misspelling the name), was also in the ancestral line; and the family, by marriage, were allied with the Edwards family, of whom President Jonathan Edwards was the most distinguished member. The parents of the subject of this sketch moved from Amherst to Floyd, Oneida Co., NY, in the spring of 1825; to South New Berlin, Chenango Co., NY, in 1834; to Waukesha, WI, in May, 1846, and to Fox Lake in 1847; he entered young upon a course of study with reference to the ministry; having acquired the rudiments in the common school of his native and adopted States, he studied some five years in the academies of Holland, Patent and Whitesboro, and at the Oneida Collegiate Institute, all in Central New York; in the latter institution, which had a full college course, he was a few years behind the late Dr. Miter, of this city; he also studied with the Rev. Stephen W. Burritt, brother of the author of the "Geography of the Heavens," a Presbyterian Pastor of much ability and devotion; he was licensed in the spring of 1835; ordained the subsequent year. The principal points of his pastorate have been: Cazenovia, Penn Yan, Vienna, Peekskill, NY; New Bedford, MA, Fond du Lac, WI, St. Paul, MN, and one of the beautiful suburbs of Cincinnati, OH. He was married at Jocelyn's Corners, Madison Co., NY, Sept. 5, 1836, by Rev. John Ingersoll, to Miss Melinda Benedict, youngest daughter of Stephen Benedict, Esq., of Sherburne, Chenango Co., NY, and sister of Hon. Joseph Benedict, of Utica, and of O. M. Benedict Edq., long a leading lawyer of the Rochester bar of that State. She was a native of Sherburne; born Dec. 7, 1817. Of this union there were three children--Erskine, born in Cazenovia Nov. 3, 1837; died in New Bedford Aug. 19, 1842, in the 5th year of his age; Marietta, now Mrs. L. P. Stafford, of Indianapolis, IN, born in Groton, MA, Feb. 27, 1841; Erskine, second, born in Penn Yan Sept. 11, 1846, now, and for several years, Train-Despatcher and Superintendent of Telegraph on the I., P. & Chicago Railway, located at Indianapolis. This wife died in Penn Yan, universally lamented, Dec. 23, 1848. He was married the second time, in Penn Yan, Jan. 24, 1850, by Rev. W. W. Robnson, to Miss Harriet Joy Reddy, oldest daughter of Leander Reddy, Esq., who was born in Trumansburg, NY, Dec. 24, 1826. There were two children of this union--Melinda Benedict, now Mrs. D. Royce Drake, of Kansas City, MO, born in Vienna, NY, Nov. 10, 1850; Harriet Amelia, born in Fond du Lac Feb. 14, 1857. This second wife died, beloved by all, in Fond du Lac, May 24, 1857. He was married for the third time, in Fond du Lac, May 22, 1860, by Rev. W. H. Marble, to Miss Andalusia Gillett, the younger daughter of Deacon Kirkland Gillett, who was born in Arcade, Wyoming Co., NY, Oct. 26, 1838. There has been of this union one child--Grace Brand, born in Fond du Lac Aug. 5, 1866. He was one of the original Abolitionists, having, though a student, taken a decided stand on the subject even before the appearance of Garrison's Liberator; he was present at the formation of the New York State Anti-Slavery Society in the city of Utica, forty-five years ago, when the members were driven from the place by a mob, headed by leading citizens, and resorted to Peterboro, the home of the Hon. Gerrit Smith, pelted with brickbats and addled eggs the whole distance. In every stage of the grand conflict, he bore an earnest and unfaltering part. So in kindred reforms. In the late war, too, he was among the most earnest and active. His only son, educated at the semi-military academy at Peekskill, NY, entered the service early in the 14th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and fought in the ten battles prior to the investment of Vicksburg, beginning with that of Pittsburg Landing; he was wounded in the left arm at Vicksburg, in the defense of a most exposed battery, and had to submit to amputation; his life for weeks was despaired of; and Mr. Hawley himself, then Pastor of Plymouth Church, St. Paul, exerted himself by speech and pen to hurry men to the South, or to the frontiers, to fight the hostile Sioux. Under the preaching of a single sermon, Aug. 10, 1862, eleven young men of his bible class, with many others, enlisted and went South, or against the hostile Indians--largely depleting his congregation; eight of these fell in a single battle with the Sioux. A failure in health compelled Mr. Hawley to retire from his fine Cincinnati suburban charge in 1872, after a very successful pastorate of seven years. In the autumn of 1873, he located in Beaver Dam; from this period, though avoiding the strain of pastoral life, he has done much evangelistic and reformative labor, as well as been active with the pen.
August Heckert, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Mayville; born in Prussia in 1837; was educated in his native country and came to America in 1855; worked as a farm hand near Mayville several years; he then bought his father’s farm, sold it, and bought another on Sec. 16; in 1875, he sold his farm and bought a farm in Oak Grove; after one year, he sold this farm and purchased his present farm of 80 acres, adjoining Mayville. Married Miss Bertha Koch in 1862, who died in 1865. In 1866, he married Miss Anna Voigt, who died in 1873, leaving four children— Aleck, Theodore, Adolph and Anna. In 1874, he married Miss Augusta Stellmacher; they have on child— Alvina. Mr. Heckert is a Republican; has been Supervisor, also Chairman of the Town Board by appointment. He is a member of Mayville Lodge, I. O. O. F.
CHRISTIAN HEMMY, Register of Deeds, Juneau; born in Switzerland Jan. 19, 1840; son of David Hemmy; came to America in 1856, and to New York City; same year went to Nauvo, Ill.; resided there two years, and was traveling three years in the Southern States; in 1859, came to Watertown, Wis., and engaged in business several years, and, in 1863, removed to Beaver Dam, and lived there till 1874, when he was elected to the office of Register of Deeds, and has been elected for three consecutive terms; was also Alderman of the Second Ward at Beaver Dam, and was Assessor six years. Married, Sept. 1, 1861, Georgiana Schneckenbarger, daughter of Joseph Schneckenbarger, who was a refugee from Germany during the revolution of 1848; his property was confiscated, and he was driven from home for liberty's sake. He was a Lieutenant under Gen. Hecker. Their children are Theodore P. (clerk in the office of Register), Carrie D., Albert J., Mary G., Christiana D.; George A. and Martha E. are at home. Self and family are members of the Catholic Church.
JOHN HENNINGER, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Mayville; born in Bavaria in 1819; came to America in 1848, locating in Mayville, which at this time contained a mill and two log houses; he opened the first meat-market in town, which he kept about seven years; he then built a brewery, which he owned about nine years; then bought his present farm of 116 acres, on which he has built a brick house and good barnds; he is well known as a Mayville pioneer, and is closely connected with its history. Married Miss Barbara Schmidt in 1848, who died in 1869, leaving six children---Mary, Louis, William, Martin, John and Barbara. He married Geneveva Aich in 1870. Mr. Henninger is a Democrat and a Catholic. Has been Supervisor and Treasurer of his town.
Hensler, J. F.
J. F. HENSLER, butcher, Beaver Dam; was born at Racine, WI, July 21, 1849; from Racine he moved to Beaver Dam, where he has been engaged in the butcher business; this was the first market in Beaver Dam. Mr. Hensler is doing a large and profitable business. He married, Oct. 13, 1873, Louisa Rissman, of Herman, Dodge Co. He has two children-- Alvin and Alida.
Hillyer, J. T.
Hinchley, Edward W.
EDWARD W. HINCHLEY, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Beaver Dam; was born at Minnesota Junction, Dodge Co., WI, Dec. 25, 1846, and is the son of the early pioneers Samuel and Rebecca Hinchley; he soon removed, with parents, to a farm of 90 acres in Sec. 26, town of Beaver Dam, which has been his home most of the time since, and now owns the farm. In 1865, he married Miss Julia, daughter of Samuel and Julia Allard, of Beaver Dam, she being a native of Madison Co., NY, but immigrated to Wisconsin in 1855; they have one daughter--Edith. Mr. Hinchley is a member of the Baptist Church. Politically, Mr. Hinchley is a Republican.
Hinkley, L. D.
Hitchcock, J. M.
J. M. HITCHCOCK, physician; was born in Bernardstown, Franklin Co., MA, June 5, 1817, and came to Wisconsin on May 29, 1855, locating in Beaver Dam; he received his early education in Massachusetts and removed, after his father's death, to Greenfield, MA, and assisted his uncle on the farm and in his mills for five years; he then moved to Amherst, MA, where he learned the shoe business, after which he farmed and ran a custom grist-mill; he then moved to Canastota, NY, and worked at his trade; in 1843, he moved to Centreville, Ohio, and was Superintendent of the shoe-shop of Parker Bros., tanners; in 1845, he went to Unionville, Ohio, and commenced the shoe business on his own account which he continued for ten years; in 1855, he went to New York and joined the Minnesota Settlement Association and went to Minnesota with them and located in Blue Earth Co., and afterward moved to Beaver Dam. He studied homeopathy under Drs. Rosa & Gatchell, in Little Mountain, Lake Co., Ohio; he originally commenced the study of medicine in 1846, and continued its study up to 1858, when he commenced the practice of medicine in Beaver Dam. He has been leader of the choir of the First Presbyterian Church at Beaver Dam for fifteen years. He married, Oct. 15, 1861, Lucia B. Comstock, of Swanton, Franklin Co., VT; he has two children living--Clara B. and Charles Monroe. Mr. and Mrs. Hitchcock are members of the First Presbyterian Church.
Hoard, Horatio H.
S. HODGMAN, furniture dealer; born in Massachusetts, Nov. 25, 1824, came to Wisconsin Sept. 22, 1845, locating at Beaver Dam; he received his early education in New Boston, NH; when he came to Beaver Dam he commenced the coopering business and made the first tight barrel that was made in Beaver Dam; on Jan. 1, 1854, he farmed fifty acres of land located in Beaver Dam, and in 1870, started a lumber-yard which he continued until 1874, when he went to Colorado, in the furniture business, for one and one-half years; he then returned to Beaver Dam, and on June 1, 1877, commenced the furiture business on Front street, between Center and Spring streets, dealing in bedroom sets and other lines of furniture, and paper hangings, and frames; he has also the best facilities for undertaking. He married, Sept. 6, 1859, Harriet E. Taylor, of New York, and has three children--Sarah, Reed T. and Belle. Mrs. Hodgman is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Hodgman of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Hoey, Thomas J.
THOMAS J. HOEY, teacher in Mayville High School; born in Saulsbury Co., Conn., Dec. 17, 1850; came to Wisconsin with his parents at the age of 5 years, and has spent his ilfe and been educated in Dodge Co.; began teaching in the winter of 1868, and has taught continuously since; he took his position in the Mayville School in 1875. Married Miss Rose C. Smith, of Eden, Fond du Lac Co., Dec. 27, 1876. Mr. Hoey is a well-known teacher in Dodge Co., where he has always taught, with the exception of one term in Fond du Lac Co. He is a Catholic in religion, and a Democrat in politics.
Hogg, William A.
WILLIAM A. HOGG, hardware and stoves, Juneau; born in Summit Co., Ohio, March 28, 1853; son of Samuel Hogg, who was an early settler in Ohio, and was a respected merchant in Canfield, in that State; the family moved to Waukesha, Waukesha Co., in 1860; his father enlisted in the 28th W. V. I., under Col. Lewis, and was killed on the first day of the fight at battle of Spanish Fort, near Mobile, and died bravely in the defense of his country. He married Marietta Minch, of Ohio, and had four children--Clara E., married C. H. Davis, and lives in Milwaukee; Sarah L. married E. F. Mertz; Thomas Edward is attending Normal School at Whitewater, Wis.; William learned his trade in Waukesha, and worked four years there, then went to Milwaukee, Wis.; was there about year, then went back to Waukesha, and afterward went into business in Pewaukee, with a partner named Barker; was there two years, then went into business with F. B. Bartlett, in Juneau; bought him out in October, 1878, and now carries on business on his own account; has as fine and complete a stock of hardware and tinware, and everything pertaining to that line, as can be found in the county; handles a large and complete stock of stoves in the season, and through his industry and attention to business is building up an increasing business. Married, Nov. 22, 1878, Mary D. Barber, daughter of Dr. Barber, who was one of the foremost and most successful physicians in this county; he died several years since.
JOHN HOLLENSTEIN, wagon-maker, Mayville; born in Switzerland in 1842, where he was educated and learned his trade; has abeen a wagon-maker twenty-four years; came to America in 1869; spent four years in Woodland, Dodge Co., and came to Mayville in 1873. He manufactures wagons, carriages and sleighs, the ironing being done by Mr. Albrecht. In 1868, he married Miss Dominica Zuesh; they have four children--Jacob, Lena, John and Francisca. Mr. Hollenstein is a Democrat and a Catholic.
Hopkins, A. B.
A. B. HOPKINS, dealer in lightning rods; was born in Carmel, Putnam Co., NY, Sept. 11, 1830, and came to Wisconsin in the spring of 1854, locating at Mineral Point; he received his early education in Dundee, Yates Co.; was engaged, at this place, in the harness business and in buying and shipping stock; in 1854, he built four miles of the Mineral Point & Warren R. R., between Warren and Darlington, after which he engaged in the lightning-rod business; in 1856, he moved to Prairie du Sac, where, for eight years, he engaged in the lightning-rod and lumber business, and is also in the grain and stock business in connection with a general store, associated with S. S. Wilkinson under the firm name of Hopkins & Wilkinson; in 1864, he moved to Beaver Dam, and since that time he has been exclusively in the lightning-rod business; dealing in the old Franklyn solid standard rod; he also kept the Stevens House at Beaver Dam, and is engaged in farming in Beaver Dam Township, where he has two farms, one of 200 acres and one of 40 acres, adjoining the city limits. Mr. Hopkins was Constable and afterward Deputy Sheriff of Sauk County for four years; is School Commissioner of the First Ward, Beaver Dam. He married Aug. 28, 1853; has two children--Rose Ann and Emory Elmore.
Hopkins, A. R.
Hopkins, O. R.
Hoyt, L. E.
L. E. HOYT, miller, Beaver Dam; was born in Beaver Dam Oct. 18, 1853; from there he moved to Milwaukee, then back to Manchester, thence to Watertown, WI, and from there to Chicago, where he finished his education, and, in 1868, returned to Beaver Dam. He then opened a general store in Manchester in connection with his brother and cousin, under the firm name of E. L. Hoyt & Co., which he continued for three years; he then returned to Beaver Dam and kept the books and superintended the Beaver Dam Flouring Mill, and, in 1874, was admitted as partner with his father, under the firm name of E. R. Hoyt & Son, which firm manufacture flour on a large scale.
THOMAS HUGHES, editor and proprietor of the Dodge County Citizen, Beaver Dam; was born in Sherbrooke, Province of Quebec, Aug. 25, 1841, and came to Wisconsin in Jun. 3, 1847, locating in Beaver Dam. In 1856, he learned his trade with the proprietor of the Dodge County Citizen, M. Cullaton; from 1859 to 1862, he bought out the interest of Mr. G. H. Wells in the paper, and admitted into partnership Mr. H. A. Reid, which continued for six years,when he bought out Mr. Reid and ran it alone for one year; he then admitted Mr. S. B. Allen, and this firm, Hughes & Allen, ran it for between six and seven years, when Mr.Allen retired and Mr. Hughes became sole proprietor, in which he has continued up to the present writing. Mr. Hughes was City Clerk of Beaver Dam for two terms, and was School Commissioner of Third Ward one year. He married, In June, 1870, May L. Hambright, of Oak Grove; he has one child--Myrtie May.
Hunting, Rev. George F.
REV. GEORGE F. HUNTING, Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church at Beaver Dam, was born in Milton, Chittenden Co., VT, April 24, 1836, and came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1870, locating in Kilbourn City. He received a common school education at Milton, and went to the Castleton Seminary, in Vermont, where he prepared for college; he graduated in 1860 at the Burlington College, Vermont; in 1860, he moved to Edward's Mine, Lake Co., and was employed two years keeping books for the Edward's Mine Camp; here he commenced talking to the miners on religious subjects; he was licensed to preach the Gospel, in the spring of 1871, by the Presbyterian Synod of Wisconsin and ordained before the Presbytery at Lodi, WI, after which, he went to Kilbourn City as Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, where he remained six years; he then took charge of the First Congregational Church at Sparta, Monroe Co., WI, and remained two years, when he went to Beaver Dam, Nov. 1, 1879, and became Pastor fo the First Presbyterian Church there. Mr. Hunting enlisted during the late war, Nov. 30, 1861, in the 12th United States Infantry, and attached to a permanent recruiting party, under Lieut. J. W. Jones, at Burlington, VT, until the spring of 1862, when he was appointed Second Lieutenant in the 3d Artillery and ordered to Alcatraz Island, CA; after remaining there two and a half years, he was promoted to a First Leutenancy and ordered to Washington to man the defenses at that place; in 1867, he was ordered to Hilton Head, SC, where he remained six months and was ordered to Columbia, SC; he then obtained a six-months leave of absence and resigned in the following September. Mr. Hunting married, Aug. 8, 1860, Frances A. Maynard, of Castleton, Rutland Co., VT; he has four children living--Berenice, Mary Olive, Henry Gardner and Merrill Maynard. Mr. and Mrs. Hunting are members of the First Presbyterian Church.
John Hustis, retired, attorney and counselor at law, Hustisford; born in Philipstown, Putnam Co., N. Y., Oct. 22, 1810; son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Knapp) Hustis. He fitted for college at the Fishkill Academy, taught by Rev. Dr. C. Westbrook, and entered Yale College in 1829; he graduated among the foremost of his class in 1833; with him were such men as James D. Dana, LL.D., now Professor of Geology and Natural History in that historic institution; Mr. Hustis then studied law a year in the Yale Law School, and afterward in the office of J. Hine, Mount Carmel, N. Y.; was admitted to the bar in 1836, and came to Milwaukee November, 1836; here he speculated for a time in real estate, building the first brick block in the city, 1840; this was known as Hustis' Block, and stood on the corner of Third and Chestnut Streets until a recent date. In August, 1837, he encamped sixteen miles from any house, built a log shanty, and bought 320 acres; on this he sowed the first wheat in Dodge Co. the same fall; in 1846, Hustisford was laid out by him, and named, as was the township, for him; during 1845 and 1846, he built the first dam across the Rock at this point, and also a saw-mill, built the first flouring-mill, 1851, and brought his family to the village the same year. Mr. Hustis is one of the historic pioneers of the State, as he delivered the first Fourth of July oration in Milwaukee, in 1839, and was associated with Juneau, Walker and Kilbourn; was re-admitted to the bar during the session of the first court held in the city, June, 1837, with J. H. Tweedy, J. Arnold, Col. Crocker, and others; he was elected one of the Milwaukee and Rock River Canal Commissioners by the Territorial Legislature in 1840, and went to Columbus, Ohio, with $100,000 of Territorial bonds. Failing to make the loan, the enterprise was given up, although the Milwaukee dam and two miles of canal were built, giving the town a water power and a fresh impetus. Mr. Hustis married Miss Laura A. Ludington, Aug. 29, 1839, in Carmel, N. Y.; Mrs. Hustis was born in Kent, Putnam Co., N. Y., and is a cousin of ex-Gov. Ludington; the family--consisting of three daughters--Mary E., Josephine L. and Florence L., and a son, Charles J.--has resided in Milwaukee since 1868, though Mr. H. spends most of his time in the village. He is an old time Republican in politics, has a residence and about 300 acres of land in Hustisford.
Hutchens, Prof. A. S.
PROF. A. S. HUTCHENS, retired, Beaver Dam; was born in Onondaga Co., NY, Dec. 8, 1817, and came to Wisconsin April 1, 1855, locating in Walworth Co. In 1837, he went to the Dennison University, and, after graduating, taught the Latin and Greek languages there; in January, 1849, he went to the Norwalk Academy, Ohio, as Professor of Latin, Greek, Hebrew, German and Mathematics, the late Gen. McPherson, of the U. S. Army, being one of his scholars at that time; in 1855, he went to farming for two years; in 1857, he connected himself with the Wayland University. Prof. Hutchens married, Dec. 11, 1844, Henrietta B. Avery, of Granville, Ohio; he has two children--Frank A. and Dora. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchens are members of the Baptist Church.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2015 by Clare Guse.