|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
A. Inglis, of A. Inglis & Sons, Horicon; born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1819; came to America in 1834, spent sixteen years in Canada and came to Marquette Co., Wis., in 1850; in 1852, he settled in Horicon; was a carpenter by trade; has been in his present business seven years. He married Miss Mary Kennedy in 1844; they have four children--Andrew J., Addie, Charles W. and Clement. Mr. Inglis is Independent in politics and is a Master Mason of Horicon Lodge. He is the inventor and manufacturer of the Horicon Automatic Windmill; this mill is so constructed that it turns to the wind with the least change of its direction; by the pressure of the wind on the face of the sail, the millhead and spider are pushed toward the driver, furling the sails or laying them parallel with the main shaft and with the course of the wind; as the sails are then presented endways to the wind, the firm warrant the mill to stand in any wind where farm buildings can stand; the mill has been sold through the greater part of the United States, and gives the best of satisfaction, the sales for 1879 more than doubling those of 1878; the firm also deal in all kinds of piping and iron pumps, and have, in the shops, a variety of wood and iron working machinery, run by steam.
Robert Irving, teacher; P. O. Clyman; was born in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., in 1840; his parents, Thomas and Mary Irving, emigrated to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled near Clyman, Dodge Co.; that section was then comparatively new, and Robert's youth was spent amidst the hardships of pioneer life; both his parents died in 1873; he was educated at Wayland University, Beaver Dam, and evinced at an early age a decided aptness for instructing pupils and managing schools; he has, at present writing, taught school for a period of over nineteen years, and his influence in leading young people to the higher duties and labors of life has been very marked and salutary; he is in full sympathy with all movements which indicate progress, and he inspires in those under his influence a deep enthusiasm in any work that improves the mind; his profound interest in educational problems and methods of work will doubtless enlist his chief attention in future years as it has for over seventeen years of the past. He has never been ambitious for office, but he has been frequently selected to fill positions of trust in Clyman. He owns 120 acres of land on Sections 8 and 9 in Emmet Township.
Carlton Jennings was born in Lima, Livingston Co., N. Y., May 18, 1846; son of L. D. and Caroline Jennings, who removed, when he was quite young, to East Rush, Monroe Co., N. Y., where they lived till 1856, then went to Calhoun Co., Mich., where his mother still lives, his father having died Jan. 23, 1873; in the spring of 1868, Carlton Jennings came to Wisconsin and settled in Markesan, Green Lake Co., where he resided till September, 1872; he then came to Waupun and engaged as traveling agent for M. J. Althouse, which position he retained for two years, the traveled for Althouse, Wheeler & Co. in the same capacity for four years. Nov. 25, 1878, Mr. Jennings formed a partnership with A. R. Hopkins, of Waupun, for the purpose of retailing windmills, pumps, etc. (firm name Hopkins & Jennings); in this business they now employ from eight to ten men, and run from five to seven teams successfully. Was married, Nov. 22, 1877, to Mrs. E. M. Davis, daughter of David and Hannah Rorce, of Waupun, who are both natives of Hudson, N. Y.; has one child--Elmer C., born Dec. 29, 1878.
Jennings, George E.
George E. Jennings, merchant; Mr. Jennings has been engaged with C. & E. W. Jones many years; he is a man of fine literary taste, an able writer, and is generally esteemed and respected by all who know him; he is a man of family, and owns one of the prettiest residences in the beautiful city of Waupun, where he keeps open house; his latch-string is always out; he is a liberal entertainer; may his shadow never grow less.
ED. JOHNSON, bricklayer and plasterer, Beaver Dam; born in Columbia Co., PA, Aug. 28, 1847; came to Wisconsin with his father and family and settled in Beaver Dam Township; in 1855, moved to the city of Beaver Dam; in 1864, he went sailing on the lakes; March 27, 1865, he enlisted in the 48th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out March 30, 1866, and returned to Beaver Dam and went to learning his trade; having learned his trade, he went to work on the Masonic Hall, and has done work on nearly all the principal business blocks in the city; also on the Music Hall and Catholic Church.
Johnson, Rev. Thomas S.
REV. THOMAS S. JOHNSON, Pastor of the Assembly Presbyterian Church, Beaver Dam; is a son of the Rev. Baker and Electa Johnson, a Presbyterian minister, now of Oxford, WI; he ws born at Greenville, NY, in February, 1839; his early education was in the Academy of Newton, NJ; after which he completed his collegiate studies at Carroll College in 1860, and his preparation for the work of the ministry in the Theological Seminary of Princeton, NJ, where he graduated Dec. 7, 1864. From December, 1864, to December, 1866, he was Chaplain of the 127th U.S.C.T. and the 36th U.S.C.T., serving one year in each. In January, 1867, he returned to his home at Oxford, WI, whither his parents removed in 1855; remaining here a short time, he was called to the Assembly Presbyterian church of Beaver Dam, of which he has since been Pastor. He has been an occasional contributor to the Evening Wisconsin and the New York Observer.
Jones, H. A.
H. A. Jones, farmer and stock dealer; Sec. 20; P. O. Juneau; born in Tioga Co., N. Y., June 23, 1828; son of Melzar Jones, who was from Vermont, and of English descent; his wife's father and brother were in the war of 1812; Mr. Melzar Jones lives in New York and is 72 years old. Mr. H. A. Jones married Harriet Winchester, daughter of Samuel Winchester; had four children--Naomi, married Mr. Z. Swan, and lives in Minn.; Marietta, married and living in Pennsylvania; Emma, married E. Le Barr, and living in Minnesota; Nellie, married and living in Juneau; wife died March 24, 1863; he married again, Jan. 31, 1864, Sarah J. Butler; their children are Melzar, died in infancy; Effie, is child at home. Mr. Jones came to Wisconsin and to Horicon fall of 1854; went into grocery business, carried it on successfully, sold out and went into business in Eau Claire, Wis.; moved to Oak Grove in 1864 and settled on ninety-six acres; his brother, Gregory, engaged in stock business; has one of the handsomest residences in the town, and, through his good business tact and industry, has a competency.
Ira Jones, farmer, Secs. 33 and 28; P. O. Hustisford; born in Petersburg, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., March 31, 1810; spent his early life and married in his native State; came to Wisconsin in 1843, and spent two years in Watertown; pre-empted 160 acres of his present farm in 1845, when there was not a house between him and Watertown, where he used to buy flour and “back it” ten miles to his home. As he had a pair of oxen and a cow, and was somewhat in debt, he was obliged to get trusted for his first plow, which he also brought from Watertown on his shoulders; his present well improved farm of 220 acres, and modern buildings, are the result; he has, besides, given each of his five married children farms worth from $2,000 to $5,000 each, with stock and tools to carry them on. He married Miss Penelope Green Jan. 24, 1830; they have seven children--Polly A., Sydney R., Seneca B., Samuel A., Flora E., Florence L. and Lydia M.; the sons all own valuable farms in Hustisford; Polly A., is in Minnesota, and Flora E. in Iowa, both married and well settled. Mr. Jones is a Democrat; was County Coroner six years, Justice of the Peace fourteen years, and Assessor several years; he is both a grain and stock grower, and has probably raised as much wheat as any man in the county; has at present about 330 grade Spanish Merino sheep, besides horses, cattle, hogs, etc. Few men have done better than this substantial old pioneer, as he not only raised and educated a large family, but gave his sons such aid that, with their inherited enterprise, they are also classed among the most wealthy and progressive farmers of the township.
Jones, John M.
John M. Jones, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Oak Grove; born in North Wales Dec. 21, 1821; came to America in 1832 with his parents; lived in Oneida Co., N. Y., until 1846, then spent three years in Plymouth Co., Mass. Returning to Oneida Co., he lived there until 1853, then settled in Clyman; worked sixe years a s a laborer, then bought his farm of eighty acre. His wife died Jan. 26, 1879, leaving him one daughter, Ella. Mrs. Jones was a native of Oneida Co., N. Y., and came to Wisconsin in 1849, as the wife of David Naracong, who was killed in the Union service in 1864, and left three children--Elizabeth (deceased), Mary F. and Charles W. Mr. Jones supports men and principles in politics, and belongs to Oak Grove Lodge, No. 7, I. O. O. F.
Morgan Jones, farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Fox Lake; born in Wales March 15, 1833; son of Thomas Jones, who was a farmer in the old country; the family came to Waukesha, Wis., July 4, 1846; was there about five weeks, then came to Fox Lake. Thomas Jones took up 80 acres, and built a house; it was destroyed by fire in March, 1847; then bought another 80 acres in Sec. 17; lived there about ten years, then bought the 80 acres in Sec. 18, where he was burned out before, and lived there till his death. He married Mary Jones, and had six children--Jane, Ann, John, and Morgan and Thomas (twins), one died in infancy in Wales. In 1861, the property was divided; Morgan settled in Sec. 15 on 160 acres, now has about 300, over 250 of which are under fine cultivation, and has all improvements pertaining to a first-class farm; his residence is beautifully situated on the banks of Fox Lake. Married Mary Jones, daughter of Griffith Jones, Jan. 12, 1860; have had five children--Thomas, born Oct. 12, 1860, living at home; Jane, born Aug. 12, 1862, at home; Mary Ann, born Feb. 5, 1865; Griffith Humphrey, born March 17, 1867; John, born July 24, 1869. Mr. Jones has been Justice of the Peace; was elected during the war, 1864, and has been Assessor four years; he gave his aid and support to the cause of the Union during the war. Himself and family attend the Welsh Methodist Church.
Jones, Oscar F.
Oscar F. Jones, lawyer, Juneau, born in New York, September, 1832; comenced his studies at Ithaca, N. Y., and from there went to Freeport, Ill., and was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of Illinois; Judge Caton and Chief Justice Treat were on the bench at that time, this was in 1852, when Douglas, Lincoln, Col. E. P. Baker, M. Y. Johnson and John Knox were in the arena. Mr. Jones came to Juneau about this time, and commenced the practice of law; from 1864 to 1868, was traveling correspondent and business man for the Chicago Times; then established the Hudson Democrat in Hudson, Wis.; carried that on successfully till Jan. 1, 1875, then spent the summer of 1875 on the seaboard, and was correspondent of the Baltimore Sun, and in 1876 became editor-in-chief of the Milwaukee Daily News; resigned that position in 1877, and returned to Juneau and resumed practice of law; in 1862, was elected to the Assembly, and was re-elected in 1863. Was Democratic nominee for the Senate in 1865, and was defeated by Dr. Judd, of Fox Lake, by about sixty majority.
Jones, S. B.
S. B. Jones, farmer, Secs. 29 and 32; P. O. Hustisford; born in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., Aug. 20, 1838; is a son of Ira and Penelope Jones, who settled in Wisconsin in 1843 and in Hustisford in 1845; he has spent his life and been educated in Dodge Co., living on the homestead until February, 1863, when he settled on his present farm of 195 acres; has enlarged his farmhouse, built a new sheep-barn, and devotes his farm to both stock and grain raising. He married Miss Eliza Baker March 25, 1863; they have six children--Edgar, Eleanor, Sidney, Rachel, Flora and Eliza. Mr. Jones is a Republican; was Chairman of his Democratic township two years; he is a member of Heine Lodge, No. 152, I. O. O. F., and a progressive farmer; has a flock of 200 thoroughbred Spanish Merino and Cotswold sheep; also has Berkshire hogs and Cloud horses; he is also owner of a Limburger cheese factory, making about forty-five thousand pounds per annum.
Jones, S. R.
S. R. Jones, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Hustisford; born in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., Feb. 24, 1836; son of Ira and Penelope Jones, who settled in Hustisford in 1845; was educated in the county and lived on the old farm until he was 24, when he settled on his present farm of 240 acres, beginning with 120 acres; he has broken up, fenced and improved this farm, erected a modern brick farmhouse, large barns, etc.; Mr. Jones makes a speciality of full-blooded Spanish Merino sheep, now owning about four hundred; he also has a herd of thoroughbred Berkshire hogs and other stock. In politics, a Republican; he has been Assessor several terms and is now President of the Town Insurance Company, organized in 1875; He married Miss Ann Baker in March, 1860; they have two children--William H. and Cora M.
Jones, Thomas T.
Thomas T. Jones, farmer, Sec. 8; P. O. Fox Lake; born in South Wales, County Cardigan, town of Pattas, March 15, 1833; son of Thomas Jones; the family came to Wisconsin in 1846; in July came to Waukesha, and then to Fox Lake in August, same year. Thomas Jones was a respected member of the Welsh Calvinistic Church, and one of the earliest settlers; he died, after a useful life, March 9, 1866, at the age of 69; his wife died in 1859, at the age of 64; after her death the estate was divided, and Thomas settled on 120 acres in Sec. 16, and now has 484 acres, mostly under good cultivation; he pays particular attention to raising stock, and has fifty to seventy head per year; Mr. Jones is well-to-do through his good management and industry. Married, Nov. 10, 1859, Mary Davis, daughter of Daniel and Margaret Davis; Mr. Davis was a well-to-do farmer, living in Rosendale, near Oshkosh; Mr. Jones is the father of ten children--Thomas Albert, born Oct. 27, 1860, he has attended the Fox Lake College; Daniel, born March 15, 1862, he has been a student at same college; Evan Henry, born Oct. 13, 1863, he attended college two terms; Morgan Howel, born Jan. 11, 1866; John Francis, born Aug. 26, 1867; Mary Jane, born May 1, 1869; Margaret Ann, born Jan. 13, 1872; Timothy, born Sept. 5, 1875; William, born June 9, 1877; Maria, born Nov. 15, 1878. In 1875, Mr. Jones was chosen Justice of the Peace to fill a vacancy, was elected Justice of the Peace in April, 1877, and now holds that office; was also Constable at one time; has always been a stanch Republican. Self and family are members of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church, and is a man of liberal instincts.
Judd, Mrs. Lauretta T.
Mrs. Lauretta T. Judd (widow) resides on Sec, 27; P. O. Burnett Station; was born April 28, 1817, in Dorchester, Mass.; maiden name, Lauretta T. Bird; her first husband was Samuel R. Jewett, who was born in Hopkinton, N. H., Aug. 28, 1810; when 21 years of age, he went to Dorchester, Mass., to live, and in the summer of 1842, made a trip West, to look at land; he bought eighty acres, built a log house, broke ten acres, then sold out, and bought forty acres of timber, near Beaver Dam, also took a quarter-section on Rolling Prairie, in Burnett. He then returned to Massachusetts, married Miss Bird at her father's residence, in Dorchester, and, October 15, 1842, again started West; went by rail from Boston to Albany, N. Y., and by canal from there to Buffalo, thence by steamer Chesapeake to Milwaukee; were nine days making the trip; the steamer was aground three times, and on the rocks once, but no serious damage was done to the boat, and no lives lost; there were about 1,000 passengers on board, Mr. and Mrs. Jewett then went with team to Burnett, and lived in the house with a Mr. M. Hall, till they could get a log house built; the family moved in soon after; he afterward sold out, and bought again north of Sec. 27, and south part of Sec. 22, and in 1858 built a stone house; Mr. Jewett died in 1860, leaving five children--Sylvia, born Aug. 28, 1844, was the first girl born in Burnett; Hannah L., born Jan. 15, 1845; Zelda M., born Ap ril 17, 1847; Sophronia E., born Dec. 9, 1853; Josiah T., born Dec. 28, 1856. Sept. 11, 1862, Mrs. Jewett was married to George B. Judd, who was born April 23, 1816, in Great Barrington, Mass., and died April 19, 1878, in Burnett; Sylvia is Mrs. L. B. Hules, of Wanshara [sic] Co., Wis.; Hannah L., Mrs. John W. Childs, of Wilkins Co., Minn.; Zelda M., married Robert R. Pinkerton, of Waupaca, Wis., and died Feb. 22, 1873, and Sophronia E. is now Mrs. August Oestrich, of Iron Mountain, Dodge Co., Wis.; the Jewett estate embraces 195 acres, $60 per acre.
Justice, H. N.
H. N. JUSTICE, dealer in horses, Beaver Dam; born in Chenango Co., NY, Nov. 19, 1823; came to Wisconsin in the spring of 1844, locating in Waukesha Township (then Prairieville); in November, 1845, he came to Beaver Dam and engaged in keeping livery; started the first livery stable in Beaver Dam; in 1853, he went into the mercantile business with Mr. Booth, which he continued two years; in 1863, he gave up the livery bisness and went into his present business. He was Town Treasurer in 1853-54. He married, at Beaver Dam, in 1850, Miss Almenia Yates, a native of New York State. He owns seventy acres near the city.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2015 by Clare Guse.