|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
Patrick Keaveny, grocer, Reeseville; was born in County Mayo, Ireland, in 1825, where his early life was passed in attending school and assisting his father on the farm; in 1849, he emigrated to the city of New York, where he lived two and a half years; at the end of that time, he went to Lorain Co., Ohio, where he married, Aug. 27, 1854, Miss Ann Mulany; in the spring of 1855, they came to Wisconsin and located at Reeseville, which as been their home since; they have five children living--Michael H., Catherine A., Peter, Patrick J. and Margaret E. Mr. Keaveny engaged in the grocery business in 1863, and has a large custom; in politics he is Independent, voting for whomsoever in his judgement will serve the interests of the country best; himself and family are members of the Catholic Church. His father, Peter Keaveny, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, in 1786. He married, in his native county, Miss Mary Haran; they emigrated to American in 1849; settled in Lowell Township, Dodge Co., Wis., in 1855; they both died about 1864, and were buried in the cemetery at Elba, Dodge Co.; their children are Patrick, whose name heads this sketch; James, now a resident of Clark Co., Wis., Ellen, wife of Thomas Hughes, Lowell Township, and Peter, now a resident of Randall Co., Minn.
CONRAD KELLER, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Beaver Dam; is a son of John and Johannetta Keller; born in Prussia in February, 1839; he spent his early life with his father on a farm, and in June, 1858, he, with his father's family, sailed for America and reached Watertown, WI, in the following August; they settled for a short time in Portland, Dodge Co., but in November removed to the town of Beaver Dam, where his father bought a farm of 110 acres in Sec. 23, which has since been their home; in 1868, Conrad bought from his father, and now owns 240 acres in Sec. 23, Beaver Dam. He married Miss Catharine, daughter of Conrad and Catharine Keller, of the town of Trenton, Dodge Co., WI, in October, 1868; they have had three children--Conrad, Jr., (deceased), John c. and T.S. Mr. Keller was a member of the Town Board during 1869-70, and in 1879 was elected Chairman of the Board. Democrat.
John Kelley, teacher; P. O. Richwood; born in Oneida Co., N. Y., Sept. 22, 1852; son of Martin and Mary K., who, in 1853, bought and settled on a farm in Shields; this was heavily timbered and provided with a log house; the farm has been cleared and a good house built. John, the youngest son, received his early education in the district school; attended the Northwestern University, in Watertown, one summer, and began teaching in District No. 4, Shields, during the winters of 1871 and 1872. Mr. Kelley taught three winters, then entered the Platteville State Normal School, graduating in less than a year, from the elementary course; he then took up the full course, and graduated in June, 1877. Mr. Kelley taught one term in Elba, and has since taught in District No. 3, where he is now engaged. He intends to follow teaching as a profession. He is, like his parents, a Roman Catholic, and is, in politics, Democratic, as is Martin Kelley, who has served as Supervisor of Shields.
HERMAN KOCH, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Beaver Dam; is a native of Germany; born June 12, 1841; in August, 1851, he, with his parents, Albert and Amelia Koch, came to America and settled in the town of Chester, Dodge, Co., WI, on a farm, in September following; two years after, they removed to the town of Burnett, Dodge Co., which was their home till 1868; then to the town of Trenton for six years; in 1874, he bought his present farm of eighty acres in Sec. 23, town of Beaver Dam; rebuilt the house and made other improvements, till now he has a commodious home. He is a member of the Town Board of Supervisors; has been Clerk of School District No. 6 for several terms. Jan. 3, 1869, he married Miss Amelia, daughter of August and Elizabeth Hanf, of the town of Beaver Dam; they have three children--Ella, Robert and Arthur. Mr. and Mrs. K. are members of the Lutheran Church.
MICHAEL KOLLER, farmer Secs. 17 and 18; P. O. Beaver Dam; is a native of Ozaukee Co., WI; born in March, 1850; his parents, Joseph and Catharine Koller, were natives of Bavaria, but emigrated to Wisconsin in 1848, settling first in Washington, now Ozaukee County, and in 1864 removed to Sheboygan County, WI, where his father owned a farm of ninety acres; in 1876,they removed to the town of Beaver Dam and bought a farm of 114 acres in Secs. 17 and 18, and in one year after Michael bought it of his father. In February, 1877, he married Miss Mary A., daughter of Michael and Mary Ann Haimerl, of Beaver Dam; they have one son--Frank Joseph. They are members of St. Peter's Catholic Church.
Kube, John L.
John L. Kube, Justice of the Peace; born in Poland Nov. 25, 1816; studied jurisprudence in the schools of Berlin for three and a half years, and then went to the Province of Posen, Prussia, for nine months as a student; then to the courts of Birnbaum for more than three years. He was then sent to the town of Frankfurt, on the River Oder, in February, 1848; thence to Koenigsberg as an Associate Judge, where he remained till 1854, when he came to New York State, and thence to Fond du Lac, Wis., where he remained till 1855; then he moved to Mayville, where he remained till the year 1858. He moved to Watertown in 1858, where he has since lived, and has been Deputy Sheriff and Justice of the Peace. Married Miss Ida Doering in March, 1853, by whom he has had four children--Laura, born Jan. 7, 1861; Alfred, Nov. 15, 1863; Ida, July 25, 1867; Adolph, May 26, 1871; all of whom are single and with their parents; are members of the Catholic Church.
Lander, Henry W.
HENRY W. LANDER, lawyer, Beaver Dam; was born in Brighton, Somerset Co., ME, Nov. 8, 1826, and came to Wisconsin Sept. 24, 1849, locating at Juneau. Mr. Lander moved from Brighton to Juneau, where he was employed as Deputy Clerk until 1852, when he moved to Beaver Dam, where he commenced the practice of law, in which he is now engaged. He has held the following offices: In 1857, was Mayor of Beaver Dam, and at later dates for four terms; in 1867-68, was a member of the State Senate from Beaver Dam; on April 6,1872, was appointed Commissioner of the United States Court, and on March 5, 1871, as Circuit Court Commissioner, both of which positions he now holds; in 1873, he took a general tour of observation over Europe; in 1863-64, was District Attorney for Dodge Co., and is now City Attorney of Beaver Dam, and for several years was one of the Trustees of the Wayland University, of Beaver Dam. mr. Lander married, July 24, 1855, Elizabeth E. Spaulding, of Norridgewock, Maine; he has two children living--Henry B. and Dana S.
Lander, William H.
WILLIAM H. LANDER; Born in Brighton, Me., September 27, 1815, and came to Wisconsin in 1846, settling in Oak Grove, bringing with him Mrs. Harriet Lander, nee Miss Harriet Spalding, his newly made bride. Mr. Lander was a leading merchant of Oak Grove for several years, and held the office of Clerk of the Court two terms, from January, 1847, to January, 1850. Afterward, removed to Fox Lake and practiced law until 1863, when, on the 16th of August of that year, he died at Columbus, Ky., while engaged in his capacity as a lawyer before a court martial inquiry then being held at that place. He left a widow and three daughters; the latter--Mrs. C. J. Hambleton, Mrs. William Jones and Mrs. M. M. Dutton--are now living in Chicago.
Larrabee, William M.
WILLIAM M. LARRABEE; Born in Whitehall, N. Y., in 1808; in 1846, he became identified with the early settlement of Horicon, inasmuch as he founded and name the place, and, in partnership with John B. Preston and Martin Rich, built the dam that confined the once famous Lake Horicon. Mr. Larrabee made his home in Chicago, where he resided at the date of his death, September 28, 1879.
JACOB LAWRENCE, farmer, Sec. 27; P. O. Danville; was born in Washington Co., N. Y., Feb. 10, 1810; he went to Detroit, Mich., in 1835; returned to Saratoga Co., N. Y., the following year; in 1837, he returned to Detroit; in the fall of 1840, removed to Jefferson Co., Wis.; in May, 1846, came to Dodge Co., and settled on the farm where he now resides. He was married to Caroline Hathaway, whose parents settled in Jefferson Co., Wis., from Michigan, in 1840; they have five children--Elizabeth; Charles, married Miss Mary Smeaden, resides at the homestead, have one child, Lela; Martin, resides in California; Lodovine and Chloe.
Lawrence, T. D.
T. D. LAWRENCE, firm of Lawrence Bros., proprietors of the Clark House, Front street, Beaver Dam.
William Lawson, farmer, Secs. 21 and 28; P. O. Alderly; born on Isle of Man in February, 1831; came to Wisconsin in June, 1844, locating with his parents in Ashippun; in 1855, William purchased a farm of eighty acres on Sec. 21, his present homestead; in 1863, he added seventy-six acres on Sec. 28. Married, in 1859, Miss Isabella Gurlie; they have had three children. Mr. L. is considered a very successful farmer, raising both stock and grain. Republican.
JOHN LESLIE, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Juneau; born in Scotland Dec. 7, 1829; son of Alexander Leslie. Alexander came to Wisconsin in 1843, in Ashippun, Dodge Co., and settled on a farm in the woods. John came in 1844. Alexander was the first white settler in that town; Indians were numerous. He died in 1854; at the age of 52. John started on eighty acres, five miles from Appleton, traded for a thrashing-machine; then went back to Ashippun and built a flouring-mill in 1862; carried that on successfully till elected Sheriff of Dodge Co., in 1873; held that office two years, and was afterward Under Sheriff two years. After the expiration of his office, he bought a fine farm of 240 acres in Oak Grove, where he now resides. Married Emma Webster, daughter of George Webster, of Ashippun, who came from Leeds, Scotland, to Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and then to Wisconsin in 1854, and settled in Ashippun. His children are Robert A. (born Sept. 24, 1856), George E. (born March 20, 1858), Sarah E. (born Feb. 13, 1860), Belinda A. (born Aug. 25, 1862), Anna L. (born June 3, 1864), Agnes (born Jan. 22, 1868), Emma J. (born June 24, 1871), John Dobie (born Sept. 5, 1872).
Lewis, Judge E. C.
JUDGE E. C. LEWIS, capitalist and lawyer, Juneau; born in Greenfield, Huron Co., Ohio, 1823; son of Philip Lewis, who was born in Steuben Co., N. Y., and came to Ohio in 1809; he came on a "jumper" from Buffalo to Cleveland, and then up the lake to Sandusky City; then went to Huron Co. and commenced clearing up a farm at the time of the war of 1812; was driven out by the Indians; came back after the war and settled on 160 acres, and lived there till his death; through his industry he accumulated a competency. E. C. Lewis attended district school and seminary, and worked on the farm at home till he attained the age of 18; then started out for himself. Commenced the study of law in Norwalk, was there three years, and was admitted in 1844, by the Supreme Court at Tiffin, Ohio. Then went South to New Orleans, Kentucky and Indiana, and finally settled in Oak Grove, Dodge Co., Wis., in March, 1847, and, in 1849, came to Juneau, and has lived here ever since; there were no houses in Juneau when he came to Dodge Co., no roads or fences; Indians were plenty. He was elected District Attorney in 1847, and held that office fourteen years; was Judge of the Third Judicial Circuit; has been Court Commissioner most of the time since he has been in the State, and member of the County Board of Supervisors many times, and is now County Attorney for the North-Western and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroads. He obtained the right of way for these roads. Married Miss I. L. Grover, daughter of Lemuel Grover, a native of New York; have had three children--one died in infancy; Pinkney G. is attending law school in Chicago, stands high in his class, and will graduate in about a year; he married Maggie Lowth, her father, John Lowth, an estimable citizen of Juneau, was Clerk of the Circuit Court a number of years, and a member of the Legislature; Kitt C. has been attending Commercial College in Chicago, and is now at home. Mr. Lewis is a prominent member of the Masonic Fraternity.
Lewis, P. H.
P. H. LEWIS, lawyer, Juneau; born in Greenfield, Ohio, Jan. 27, 1825; son of Philip Lewis, who came to Ohio at an early date. Philander H. went to Texas and taught school in 1856, and was there till 1863; when they began to conscript into the rebel service, he escaped by way of Mexico and got to New York June 25, 1863, and then went to Ohio and enlisted in the 11th Ohio V. C., and was ordered to Ft. Laramie, Idaho Territory (now Wyoming), and relieved the veterans there, who went to the front; the 11th guarded the overland stage route, and were escort for the surveyors of the Pacific Railroad; was mustered out in Columbus, Ohio, in September, 1866; then came to Juneau, Wis., and commenced the practice of law; was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court two terms, 1877 and 1878, and is Deputy Clerk at this time, and is also Justice of the Peace of the town of Oak Grove, and Police Justice of the village of Juneau. Mr. Lewis was engaged in the grocery business, in Chicago, on the corner of Halsted and Fourteenth streets, and also on the corner of Blue Island avenue and Maxwell street, from 1873 to 1877. Married Olive Grover, daughter of Lemuel Grover, Nov. 11, 1868.
Lewis, S. P. K.
S. P. K. LEWIS, miller, Beaver Dam; was born in Champlain, Clinton Co., NY, Sept. 22, 1821, and came to Wisconsin June 6, 1847, locating at Waukesha. In Champlain he was clerk in a general store; from Champlain he moved to Waukesha and continued clerking; from there he moved to Beaver Dam, where, in connection with Mr. Bean, he started a general store, under the firm name of S. P. K. Lewis & Co.; this he continued for five years; he then, in connection with Mr. Stewart, built a woolen-mill and flouring-mill and has been in the milling business since that time; he is the manufacturer of the celebrated brands of flour--"The Empire" and the "Gold Chop." In 1873-74, he was Mayor of Beaver Dam, holding the office for two terms; in 1857, he was Alderman of the Second Ward; in 1869, he was a member of the School Board, and, in 1849, was Justice of the Peace for Beaver Dam, and also, in the same year, Town Treasurer. Mr. Lewis married, May 26, 1847, Sarah A. Higbee, of Burlington, VT; he has five children--Anna A., Warren H., Fred S., Eldbridge E. and Jennie S.
CHRISTIAN LINDEMAN, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Juneau; born in Prussia Nov. 3, 1828; son of Fred L., who was a shepherd in the old country; he died about 1837, about 40 years of age; fell from a roof and was killed. In 1857, Christian came to Erie Co., N. Y.; was there about three years; then came to Fond du Lac Co., Wis.; was there about seven years; was Drafting Clerk, at the time of the war, in Ashford; was elected Town Treasurer in 1864; was also, at one time, Supervisor and Clerk of School District many years; came to Oak Grove and settled on 120 acres, and then added forty more; he now is in comfortable circumstances, owing to his industry and perseverance. Married Wilhelmine Stoltzmann April 25, 1857; have had seven children--Herman, born in Erie Co. in May, 1858; Ernest, May 5, 1860; Bertha, in Fond du Lac Co. May 12, 1862; Ferdinand, May 20, 1864; Veronica, Jan. 8, 1866; two died in infancy. Mr. Lindeman was elected Clerk of the School Board of the district in 1874; self and wife are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Lindeman has, in his possession, a Bible, printed in Leipsic, in 1704--quite a curiosity.
Henry Lindemer, farmer, Secs. 11 anad 2; P. O. Juneau; born in Saxe-Weimar May 10, 1838; received his early education in his native land; in 1853, he came with his parents to America, and settled in Clyman, where he attended district school a few months, his father dying soon after. In April, 1858, he married Miss Emily Wilke, who was born in Saxony Aug. 4, 1840, and who came with her parent to America and to Clyman in 1848. The young couple settled on their present farm of 160 acres in 1859; Mr. Lindemer bought this in a state of nature the day after the wedding, and at once began clearing and improving; built a log house, and lived pioneer fashion, the vicinity being then called “The Wild Eighties.” As a result of twenty years of labor and good management, Mr. Lindemer has this well improved, a large basement-barn and modern farmhouse. Mr. and Mrs. Lindemer have eight children--Jane, Charles, Emma, Albert, Lydia, Amelia, Augusta F. and M. Rosa. Mr. Lindemer is a stanch Republican; has been Justice of the Peace and Supervisor; is now Assessor, and was the Republican candidate for Assemblyman in his district in 1879, which usually gives a Democratic majority of 1,500. The family are members of the Evangelical Association, of which Mr. Lindemer is a Trustee and exhorter.
STEPHEN LINDERMAN, farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Waterloo, Jefferson Co.; was born in Tompkins Co., N. Y., in 1821; he removed wit his father, William Linderman, to the State of Ohio, in 1832, thence to Illinois in 1837; he came from Boone Co., Ill., to Dodge Co., in June, 1843, and made a claim of a part of the farm where he now lives, and where he settled in August of that year; he built the first house in Portland, and has the honor of being its first settler. He was married in Boone Co., Ill., March, 1843, to Charlotte Rew, daughter of Ira Rew; her parents came to Dodge Co. in 1844; they had eleven children, seven of whom are living--Elizabeth E. Ranney, who was the first white child born in the town of Portland, born Jan. 21, 1844, now resides in Algona, Iowa; Jerusha M. Nashold, resides at Salmon City, Idaho; May Smith, resides at Waterloo, Jefferson Co., Wis; Charles, married Clara Andrews, and resides on his father's farm; Albert D., Nellie and Minnie; Mr. Linderman has 285 acres of land, and is engaged in general farming. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
A. LOCKWOOD, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. Rolling Prairie; is a native of Connecticut, and was born April 22, 1820, in Weston, Fairfield Co. His father's name was Ephraim Lockwood, and his mother's, Mary Wilkinson, both natives of Connecticut. He was married, Dec. 25, 1844, to Betsy M. Dunham, who was born Jan. 7, 1826, in Connecticut. Mr. Lockwood came to Wisconsin in August, 1848, and entered some land near Neenah, but returned to Connecticut the same fall; Jan. 3, 1849, he sailed from New York City for California, via Cape Horn, and spent eight days in Valparaiso, Chili, viewing the city and surrounding country; landed at San Francisco, Cal., June 20, having been 168 days on the voyage, including the eight days spent in Valparaiso; in San Francisco, Mr. Lockwood, with six others, formed a company for the purpose of mining, and went into Butte Co. to work, where he remained about two years, but was able to work only a small part of the time, on account of poor health; four of the company died within three months after their arrival in Butte Co.; regaining his health, he spent about eight months prospecting in the northern part of the State; then returned to Butte Co., where he followed lumbering and mining about two years, clearing, in that time, $10,000; he then returned to the States, arriving in New York Jan. 7, 1854, having made the passage in twenty-two days, from San Francisco, via the Isthmus of Panama; in April, 1854, he again came to Wisconsin and purchased the farm he now owns; then returned for his family and moved on the farm in June of the same year, where he has since resided; has 220 acres of land, which was assessed at $50 per acre in 1877; in 1859, he spent about two months in the Rocky Mountains, looking over the country; in addition to his farming, he is doing a commission business in agricultural implements, sewing-machines, stoves, etc.; has been Justice of the Peace, Supervisor and Chairman of the Town Board. Has one child--Gertrude M., born Jan. 1, 1846, in Connecticut, now the widow of Oscar T. Shannon, who was a Congregational minister, and was accidentally shot in Emporia, Kan., April 9, 1878.
John Lowth; Born in the County Meath, Ireland, June 6, 1822; came to America with his parents at the age of five years and settled in Vermont, where he was married in 1842. Graduated at Castleton College, Vermont, and, coming to Wisconsin, adopted the profession of the law. Was elected Clerk of the Board of Supervisors several terms, sent to the Assembly in 1850, 1851 and 1859, and was afterward Clerk of the Circuit Court of Dodge County. He died at Juneau August 3, 1877. He was such a man as to justify his friends in placing a humble monument over his grave, bearing the following inscription: "This modest stone, what few vain marbles can, May truly say, Here lied an honest man."
Lueck, F. William
F. WILLIAM LUECK, boots and shoes, Juneau; born July 29, 1844, in Germany; son of Ludwick Lueck, who was a soldier in the regular army under Emperor William (before the present one), in the old country; family came to America and Jefferson, Wis., in 1853, and, after six months, moved to Lebanon, where his parents died of cholera in 1854, leaving four children. F. William was with his guardian, Wm. Scherfee, till 1859, then went to Milwaukee Dec. 5, 1859, to learn the boot and shoe trade; was there about three years, when he enlisted in the 26th W. V. I., Co. A; joined the Army of the Potomac; was in Gen. Hooker's command, and afterward under Gen. Sherman till the close of the war; he was in thirteen hard-fought battles; he, with one other, were the only ones in his company who went through without sickness or wounds; was honorably discharged June 13, 1865. Married Oct. 22, 1869, Phillippiene Scheuer; have had three children--William H., died in infancy; Martin L., born July 29, 1872; Clara M., Aug. 25, 1875. After the war, he went to Horicon and established business for himself; carried it on successfully till January, 1869, when he took the Western fever and went to Iowa; came back to Juneau June 3, 1876, and has been carrying on a first-class boot and shoe business ever since, with constantly increasing trade.
FREDERICK LUETH, miller, Danville; was born in Germany in 1837; came to the United States with his father, Christopher Lueth, in 1846, who now lives in Lansing, Iowa. Mr. Frederick Lueth lived in Columbus till 1876, when he purchased one-half interest in the flouring-mill at Danville, and where he now resides. He was married to Maria Liebing, born in Germany; they have six children--Charles, Albert, Edward, Annie, Samuel and Paul.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2012 by Clare Guse.