|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
Jeremiah Mahoney, farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Oak Grove; born in County Cork, Ireland, Nov. 25, 1833; is the oldest son of Timothy Mahoney, who came to America in 1842, his family coming in 1846, and locating in Chicopee, Mass.; here he worked as a gardener, removing to Clyman, Dodge Co., in the fall of 1854, with a wife and five children; bought wild land on Secs. 4 and 5; built a small house and began the pioneer work of clearing, breaking and fencing. His oldest son, the subject of this sketch, was partly educated in Ireland, afterward attending the High School at Chicopee. He married Miss Catherine E., daughter of Timothy and Margaret Driscoll, of Clyman, July 23, 1859; they have five children--Timothy, David, Anthony, Jeremiah, Anthony and Mary E. Mr. Mahoney settled on 80 acres of his present farm of 138 in 1859; of this, only 30 were improved, on which was a poor frame; he has reclaimed the entire farm, erected a good house and made other substantial improvements. Mr. Mahoney is a stanch Democrat; has been Supervisor three years, Town Clerk four years and Chairman two years. Himself and family belong to the Holy Assumption Catholic Church.
Malone, James E.
JAMES E. MALONE, Clerk Circuit Court, Juneau; born in Beaver Dam in November, 1853; son of John Malone, who came to Beaver Dam in the spring of 1851, and is a successful and respected merchant there. He married Mary McCabe in 1850; they had eleven children. James E. Malone commenced to study law in the fall of 1875, in Beaver Dam, in the office of Judge Elwell, and was admitted to the bar in October, 1877. In the spring of 1876, he was elected Town Clerk, and held that office two years, and, in the fall of 1878, was elected Clerk of the County Court, which responsible office he now holds, and is the youngest man holding office in the county.
JOHN MALONE, grocer, Beaver Dam; was born in County Clare, Ireland, June 24, 1828, and came to Wisconsin April 14, 1852, locating at Beaver Dam; in New York he engaged in the grocery business for three years, and also farmed awhile; in 1852, he came to Beaver Dam and started a grocery and saloon, which he continued until 1862, when he was burned out, losing about $8,000, having no insurance. In 1863, he commenced making brick, and furnished brick for most of the buildings now standing in Beaver Dam; he continued this business eight years, and then entered the auction business in Beaver Dam and neighboring towns; this he followed for five years. In 1876, he again commenced the grocery business, which he has continued since. Mr. Malone, when he came to the United States, had no money, and has made his way in the world by his own exertions; is essentially a self-made man. During the war, he had a commission from Gov. Randall as Lieutenant, and assisted in raising Co. A, 17th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; he was Constable of Beaver Dam about eight years; he was Deputy Sheriff under C. Germain for three years; was also Supervisor of the town of Beaver Dam for one year. He married, March 4, 1851, Mary McCabe, of County Cavan, Ireland; has eleven children--Ellen, James, Hannah Maria, John J., Patrick Henry, Catherine Elizabeth, Michael Alexander, Mary A., George Francis, Daniel William and Rose Ann. Mr. and Mrs. Malone are members of St. Patrick's Catholic Church.
Manning, Rev. R. E.
REV. R. E. MANNING, Assistant Principal of Wayland Institute, Beaver Dam; was born in Penfield, Monroe Co., NY, March 31, 1840, and came to Wisconsin Feb. 28, 1874, locating at Beaver Dam; from Penfield, he moved to Salem, MI, and assisted his father in farming, and attended the district school until 17 years of age, when he went to the State Normal School at Ypsilanti, and after to Kalamazoo College, at Kalamazoo, MI; from there he went to the Baptist Union Theological Seminary, at Chicago; he graduated at the college in 1872, and from the seminary in 1874; he then moved to Beaver Dam, and accepted a call from the Baptist Church at that place, and continued preaching until Nov. 1, 1877; on June 29, 1877, he was appointed Assistant Principal of the Wayland Institute, which position he now holds; in 1866, he was School Inspector of the town of Salem, MI. He enlisted in the army July 22, 1862, in Co., B, 20th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Col. A. A. Williams, and was in between ten and twelve battles, mostly in Virginia; he was taken prisoner May 12, 1864, when he was removed to Florence Prison, in South Carolina, and released Dec. 6, 1864; he received his discharge in June, 1865. Mr. Manning married, July 22, 1862, Sarah Cook, of Salem MI. Mr. and Mrs. Manning are members of the Baptist Church at Beaver Dam.
LINUS MARSH, retired, Beaver Dam; born Jan. 14, 1812; came to Wisconsin in 1854; located in Trenton, Dodge Co.; went to farming, which he continued until 1871, when he sold his farm of 107 acres and purchased a residence in the city, to which he retired. Married, at New Fane, VT, 1840, Miss Lucinda Salisbury, a native of Vermont; have had one child, who died.
Silas Marsh (deceased), was born Feb. 22, 1814, in Hardwick, Vt.; came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1840, and settled in the town of Genesee, Waukesha Co. In the fall of 1844, he came to the town of Chester, Dodge Co., and settled on the farm now occupied by his widow, on Sec. 19, where he followed farming up to the time of his death, which occurred Nov. 16, 1879, of consumption, after an illness of about two years, leaving only one child, Eddie, who was born Feb. 7, 1864, and is now living with his mother on the old homestead, which consists of 170 acres of land, worth about $10,000. Mr. Marsh held offices of Justice of the Peace and Chairman of the town of Chester; was a careful business man, a man of fine feelings, and highly esteemed by his neighbors and acquaintances. Was married Feb. 24, 1842, to Lucy Davenport, who survives him, and resides on the homestead on Sec. 19 (P. O. Waupun). Mrs. Marsh was the daughter of Damon and Ann Davenport, of Homer, Cortland Co., N. Y., and was born May 10, 1825. Mr. and Mrs. Marsh lost three children--Charles Henry, born March 22, 1843, died Oct. 14, 1846; Damon, born Nov. 4, 1844, died Jan. 26, 1849; Willis S., born Dec. 4, 1851, died Feb. 2, 1852. Mr. Marsh united with the Congregational Church in Waupun in 1860, and Mrs. Marsh in 1861.
JACOB MARTIN, saloon, Beaver Dam; was born in Pferdsfeldt, Province of Rhine, Prussia, July 25, 1829, and came to Wisconsin in May, 1849, locating in Jackson, Washington Co.; was engaged in farming and cutting timber in Prussia; he moved to Dodge Co., and engaged in farming for ten years; then to Olmsted Co., MN, where he farmed, after which he returned to Dodge Co., and ran the Drake Mill on his own account for one year; he then opened a cooper shop, and afterward started a saloon, which, together with a farm, he has been running for the past twelve years. Mr. Martin has been Alderman of the First Ward for three terms. He married, Jan. 9, 1853, Louisa Graessle, of Ohio, who died Feb. 17, 1865. He was again married, May 19, 1866, to Mary A. Schutte, of Utica, NY; he has five children-- Jacob, Caroline, Rosa, Matilda, Litta Lizzie and Laura.
Mayhew, Geo. R.
Geo. R. Mayhew, hotel keeper, Burnett Junction; born Feb. 19, 1855, in the town of Burnett; son of George W. and Sally Mayhew, natives of Jefferson Co., N. Y., who came to Wisconsin in 1854, and settled in Burnett. When about 14 years of age, Geo. R. commenced clerking in the general store of S. H. Childs (his stepfather), which he continued ten years, then in February, 1879, be [sic] went into the “Burnett Junction House” (a hotel adjoining the railroad depot), which house he is still keeping. He was married in December, 1877, to Mina Ames, who was born Jan. 21, 1857; daughter of Alfred and Martha Ames, of Burnett, natives of Jefferson Co., N. Y. Mr. Mayhew now holds the office of Town Clerk and is serving his second term. His father died in Burnett April 4, 1856, and his mother married, in September, 1868, S. H. Childs, a native of Ohio, who came to Wisconsin and settled in Burnett, in 1847.
James McCaig, farmer, Sec 34; P. O. Richwood; born in County Antrim, Ireland, Aug. 15, 1838; son of A. McCaig, who came from Ireland to America in 1839, living two years in New York State, then removing to Canada, where he lived until 1845, when he came to Shields with his family, buying heavily timbered Government land, which is now the McCaig homestead; one of the pioneer families; they lived in a log house, cleared up the farm and made a good home; James McCaig remained with his parents until 1859, when he went via New York and the Isthmus to California; was two years in the mines, returning by the same route to Wisconsin, where he resided till 1865, with the exception of a summer in Buffalo, N. Y.; in 1865, he again made the sea voyage to San Francisco, going direct to the mines of Montana, via the Sound and Columbia River; Mr. McCaig saw many exciting times among the wild, savage men of that barbarous region; he relates that he once bought a horse of the famous Chief Joseph, leader of the late Oregon outbreak; Mr. McCaig returned down the Missouri in 1868. Married Miss Margaret A. McPhillips, of Milford, in April, 1869, by whom he has five children--John H., Mary A., Daniel, James T. and William A. Archibald McCaig and wife live at a hale old age on their first purchase from the United States. The family are Catholic, and Mr. McC. is Independent in politics. He has 120 acres as a homestead, and forty acres in Milford; makes a specialty of Poland-China hogs.
John McClain, farmer, Sec 21; P. O. Kekoskee; born in County Tyrone, Ireland, Oct. 28, 1829; came to America in 1848, and settled in Schuylkill Co., Penn., where he was engaged in transferrng coal from the cars to the canal-boats until 1864, when he came to Le Roy and settled on his present farm of ninety acres; this was only partially chopped off, and he did genuine frontier work in clearing the land and making a home. He married Miss Jane Crawford, of County Tyrone, in 1859; they have five children--John, Sarah, Oliver, Robert and Jane. Mr. McClain is a Republican and a member of the M. E. Church.
McClure, J. F.
J. F. McCLURE, physician, Beaver Dam; born in Chelsea, Orange Co., VT, Jan. 6, 1824, and came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1855, locating at Beaver Dam. He received his literary education at the Chelsea Academy, and completed his medical education at the Vermont Medical College, graduating in June, 1847; he practiced his profession in Chelsea from 1847 to 1855, when he moved to Beaver Dam and has been practicing up to the present time with remarkable success. Dr. McClure has held the office of Superintendent of Public Schools for four or five years in the city of Beaver Dam; was also Alderman of the Third Ward for one term; in 1867, he received and now holds the position of Pension Surgeon of Dodge Co. for the U. S. Goverment, and was on the Board of Enrollment during the second draft for troops in the late war; he was also Volunteer Surgeon in the army, and went to Nashville, TN, to render medical service to the troops at that place. Dr. McClure married, in 1851, Eunice S. Denison, of Royalton, VT. Mrs. McClure is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
JAMES MCELROY, retired farmer; born in County Armagh, North of Ireland, Oct. 17, 1809; son of William McElroy; his father was John McElroy, and the family originally came from Scotland. William McElroy and family came to Canada in the fall of 1821, and engaged in farming; William died Oct. 8, 1871, at the good old age of 93. James was brought up to work, and, at an early age, earned his own living; he used to chop wood, cleared land for from $2.50 to $6 per acre; by dint of industry, he accumulated enough money to buy fifty acres of wild land in Canada, which he cleared and sold; he then bought 100 acres of Church reserve land, worked that till 1836, when he sold out and went to Michigan to settle on ninety-three acres--paid $10 per acre, and afterward sold for $30 per acre, and came to Wisconsin in 1848 (he had been here in 1845 prospecting), and settled on 160 acres in the town of Alto, Waupun and Trenton, then added eighty acres more, and afterward forty more. He now owns one of the finest farms in this part of the country. In May, 1872, he moved in to the city of Waupun; through his industry and untiring energy, now has a competence. Mr. McElroy, in the town of Alto, was Supervisor two years, and County Commissioner two years, and was ten years Chairman of Board of Supervisors. In 1863, was elected to the Assembly, and served on several committees. Married, Jan. 16, 1834, Harriet E. Taylor, daughter of Capt. John Taylor, who was a soldier in the war of 1812; their children are Eliza (married A. Roney), John W. (is farming in the town of Trenton), R. B. McElroy (is in Milwaukee in the commission business, he married a Miss Burnham), Allen T. (married a Miss Ackerman), two children died in infancy. Mr. McElroy and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and have been for about forty years; he has been Class-Leader, Trustee and Steward, most of this time. He has been President of the Old Settlers' Club ever since its organization; has been President of the Waupun Mutual Insurance Co., ever since it started. He has been an Odd Fellow many years, and has taken all the degrees, and attended the General Lodge, and Mrs. McElroy is a member of the Rebecca Lodge, and she has held all the offices. Mr. McElroy has also been a Mason many years, also belongs to the Temple of Honor and Good Templars. Mr. McElroy owes his success in life to his unceasing hard work, indomitable perseverance and untiring industry.
McFetridge, E. C.
E. C. McFETRIDGE, woolen manufacturer, Beaver Dam; was born in Rochester, NY, April 15, 1836, and came to Wisconsin in Novmeber, 1858, locating in Beaver Dam. From Rochester he came to Beaver Dam and practiced law with A. Scott Sloan until 1864; then, in connection iwth his brother, J. A. McFetridge, built the Beaver Dam Woolen-Mills, in which he still controls an active interest. Mr. McFetridge was Superintendent of the Schools of Beaver Dam for two years, and also one of the Board of Supervisors for one term; in 1870, he was Mayor of Beaver Dam; was County Treasurer two years in 1871-72; in 1878, he was elected member of the Assembly for the Fourth (Dodge Co.) District, and was appointed during that year one of the committee on Revised Statutes; in 1878, he was elected State Senator for two years, representing the Thirteenth Senatorial District, which office he now holds; in 1872, he was one of the Presidential Electors from Wisconsin on the Republican ticket, which elected Gen. U. S. Grant to the Presidency. Mr. McFetridge married, in October, 1851, Frances A. Blanchard, of Michigan; he has one child living--John Charles.
Duncan McMillan, retired farmer, Beaver Dam; born in Nova Scotia, near Lochaber Lake, Oct. 10, 1814; came to America in 1845, and to Wisconsin the same year, locating in Calamus Township, Dodge Co., where he engaged in farming, which he followed until 1877, when he rented his farm and purchased a residence in the city of Beaver Dam, to which he moved and retired from active pursuits. Married, in Nova Scotia, in 1839, Miss Mary McMillan, of that place, who died Sept. 8, 1872. Married the second time, in Nova Scotia, Aug. 26, 1874, Miss Mary Cameron, also a native of that place, who was born May 8, 1835; has seven children living, two having died; those living are Mary, William, Alexander, Alfred, Pannie, Euphemia and Sarah; those dead are Malcolm and Daniel.
McNitt, J. W.
J. W. McNitt, retired; Beaver Dam; born in Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y., June 21, 1806 ; came to Wisconsin in 1845; located on Dunning Prairie, then Beaver Dam Township; engaged in farming, and carried on a nursery for a few years; in 1865, moved to Beaver Dam, where he has since resided; in 1874, he sold his farm; in 1848, he drew up a petition, and circulated the same, for a Territorial road from Beaver Dam to Decora; having been successful, he assisted in building the road. He was the first Assessor of the township of Westford; was Justice of the Peace fifteen years; was Supervisor several years, and Chairman of the Board of Supervisors one year; was Town Treasurer three terms; was Town Superintendent of Schools two or three terms. Married in Champion, Jefferson Co., N. Y., March 18, 1830, Miss Julia Chamberlain, a native of Jefferson Co., N. Y.; has had a family of six children, two still living, both sons, who entered the army during the late war; they are Henry and Albert C.
DAVID McQUEEN, farmer; P. O. Beaver Dam; born in Hartford, Steuben Co., NY., March 20, 1831; son of Wm. McQueen, who was from Delaware Co., NY; his father came from Scotland at an early date; William and family came to Wisconsin and settled in Beaver Dam and Oak Grove in 1845. David now has 280 acres under good cultivation, and all improvements; he has a competency through his hard work and industry. Married, July 4, 1858, Harriet Wells, daughter of Stephen Wells, an old and respected settler in Oak Grove. Mr. McQueen is a natural mechanic and blacksmith, and is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows' Fraternities. Mrs. McQueen pays particular attention to the cultivation of flowers, and has the largest and finest collection of plants in the vicinity. A brother, Andrew McQueen, has a fine farm in Oak Grove adjoining; another brother, George, has a large and well-kept farm in Section 30.
WILLIAM MEIGS, farmer, Sec. 22; P. O. Beaver Dam; is a native of Broome Co., NY; is the son of William and Catherine Meigs; born in July, 1809; he received a common school education, after which he devoted his time to farming and lumbering in York State, till 1851; he then emigrated to Fox Lake, Dodge Co., WI, and there followed farming till 1863; he gave up farming at that time, removed to Beaver Dam, and was for two years employed by Mr. Hodgman in the lumber yard. In 1865 he brought a farm of forty acres, in Section 22, town of Beaver Dam, which has since been his home. In 1830, he married Miss Julia, daughter of Joel Austin, of York State, by whom he had two children--Katie (now Mrs. William Lawrence, of Beaver Dam), and Albert (now of Tennessee). Mrs. Meigs died Feb. 11, 1860. Dec. 24, 1863, he married Miss Mahitable, daughter of Hiram and Sarah Stevens, of Beaver Dam; they have one son--Newell M. Mrs. M. is a member of the M. E. Church.
ALBERT MERTZ, Master in the United States Navy; son of Leonard and Kathinka Mertz; born March 26, 1851, in the town of Shields, Dodge Co., Wis.; moved to Juneau in October, 1852; removed to Beaver Dam in June, 1855; in June, 1867, was appointed Cadet MIdshipman in the U. S. Naval Academy, at Annapolis, Md., from the Fifth Congressional District, by the Hon. Charles A. Eldridge, M. C.; graduated at Annapolis in June, 1872, receiving the diploma from the hands of President Grant; in August, 1872, was assigned to duty as Midshipman on board the U. S. corvette Yantic, serving on the East African coast, in the East Indies and on the coasts of China and Japan, until April, 1874, when he was assigned to the flagship Hartford, under Rear Admiral A. M. Pennock, U. S. N.; during the term of service on board the Yantic, visited the Island of Zanzibar, in connection with the British under Sir Bartle Frere, in the suppression of the Zanzibar and Muscat slave-trade; visited, also, the islands of Borneo, Phillipines, Celebes, Sumatra and Java; returned to this country in flagship Hartford in October, 1875, having traveled, during his forty months' absence, a distance of over fifty-four thousand miles. In November, 1875, examined for, and promoted to, the grade of Ensign; from January to July, 1876, served as navigating and ordnance officer of the U. S. Monitor Ajax, attached to the West India squadron, on waiting orders from July to December, 1876; December, 1876, assigned to duty on board the U. S. corvette Wyoming, then receiving-ship at the Washington navy yard; in April, 1877, detached from Wyoming and ordered to special duty in the U. S. Coast and Geolitic Survey, under the Treasury Department, serving at first on schooner Drift, engaged in making tidal current observations between Cape Cod, Mass., and Cape Sable, Nova Scotia, afterward serving on schooners Earnest and Silliman, employed in making hydrographic surveys on the coasts of Maine and Florida; in June, 1878, examined at Washington and promoted to the grade of Master in the navy, ranking with First Lieutenant in the army. In July, 1878, married at Beaver Dam to Mary E., second daughter of Columbus Germain. At present he is in commnad of the U. S. Coast Survey steamer Hitchcock, employed in making triangulation surveys in the lower Mississippi River.
RICHARD MERTZ, Juneau; born in Germany March 7, 1833; came to Dodge Co. in 1849, and settled in Shields; in 1854, came to Juneau and became engaged in getting up abstracts of this county; was elected Register of Deeds in 1862; held that office for six years, then established a loan office and land agency; was again elected in 1872 to the office of Register of Deeds by several thousand majority; held that office one term; at the expiration formed a copartnership with W. T. Rambusch and purchased the Dodge Co. abstracts; now carry on an extensive loan and insurance together with the abstract business. Married Josephine Hepton, a native of Germany, Sept. 1, 1855; have had nine children--Edgar F., born Aug. 13, 1856, married Sarah L. Hogg, and is now carrying on a successful drug business in Hartford, Washington Co., Wis.; Ella, born March 31, 1858, married M. J. Schubert, of Watertown, Wis.; Dora, died in infancy; Gustavus, died when 2 years old; Richard H., is now a student in the N. W. University at Watertown, Wis.; May, died when 2 years old; Alfred, died when 2 years old; Otto, born Aug. 20, 1869; Ida, born Nov. 5, 1872.
Miter, Rev. John J.
REV. JOHN J. MITER, D. D., son of Thomas and Eleanor Miter; was born in Lansingburg, NY, March 20, 1809; upon the death of his father, when he was but 13 years of age, his mother secured him a position as cabin boy on his elder brother's sloop, which plied between Troy and New York City, on the Hudson River; his mother dying, two years later, he continued sailing for three more seasons; possessing a native elevation of mind and an enthusiastic, sensitive temperament, who can estimate the unconscious influence upon him of the solemnity and tender beauty of the summer nights, as, during his "watch", he steered the vessel under the guidance of the old north star--with thoughts raised to his sainted parents, whose souls were reveling above in eternal light--in sublimating his thoughts, and in enabling him more readily to apprehend the sublimity and authority of the Hebrew books, and to love the calm, pure Christ, whose life was so full of strength and love, of sweetness and light, for he was soon "born again" in that remarkable revival at Troy, in 1826-27, when Dr. Beman, the Pastor, aided by the evangelists Nash, Finney and Kirk, preached with such power and fervor that 500 were counted as the fruit in that congregation alone. Mr. Miter's ability in prayer first attracted the attention of Dr. Robbins, a wealthy physician, who became so much interested in him that he offered to give him any pecuniary aid he might need if he would begin a course of study preparatory for the ministry; feeling "that it was the call of God," he at once entered Oneida Institute, and, at the end of four years, joined the notable first class of forty-three under Dr. Beecher and Prof. Stowe, in Lane Theological Seminary, just established at Cincinnati; but, toward the close of the first year, an issue arose between the Faculty and the students on the ground of anti-slavery discussion; it was "the time of awakening" for the American intellect, and of the emancipation of the American mind from the authority of the English in letters and criticism; it was the renaissance not only in literature, but in religion, sociology and politics; young men are naturally radicals and agitators, and, at such a time of intellectual and political ferment--when Channing was in the pulpit and Webster at the forum--young men of deep convictions of right and justice would not submit to any restrictions upon free debate; consequently, twenty-two of that class, including Mr. Miter withdrew from the Seminary. Mr Miter soon afterward joined a class formed at Troy by Drs. Beman and Kirk, and thus finished his studies in what proved the germ of the Union Theological Seminary of New York. About the time that he was licensed to preach, he attended the first Anti-Slavery Convention, which convened at Utica, NY, in the fall of 1835, and one with that nobly courageous body of poineer reformers, was mobbed, egged and compelled to resort to Peterboro, the home of the Hon. Gerrit Smith, thirty miles distant. He came West in 1837, and after supplying, temporarily, several pulpits in and about Chicago, finally accepted a call from Knoxville, IL; after laboring there for two years, he returned East for a help-meet, and was married to Elizabeth D. Ayers, at Glenville, NY, June 8, 1840; she was a descendant of the Beckmans, one of the old aritocratic families of New York City, and a graduate of Emma Willard's well-known Female Seminary; being in full sympathy with him in his work, she proved his efficient, faithful and devoted helper for thirty-five years. He received a call from Plymouth Church, then organizing in Milwaukee, in June, 1841, but declined; they were importunate, and, one day in the fall, he was surprised at the arrival of two Milwaukee brothers, with their teams, who told him that they "had come for him," though his wife was then an invalid, when her sister at length sided with the strangers, he decided to go; the next day, as he says, "all my effects were loaded in one wagon, my wife was laid on a bed in the other, and thus we undertook a journey of 233 miles over the wild prairies of Illinois and Wisconsin to Milwaukee;" here he commenced preaching in November, 1841, on the second floor of a building on the northeast corner of Spring and West Water streets, to a Congregational organization of but eighteen members; he left this field, after fifteen years of severe and successful labor, owing to failure of health; his charge, in the mean time, had grown to a membership of 523, were worshiping in the substantial edifice (which was an elegant structure for those days), still occupied by them, on Milwaukee street, were free from debt, and had attained an influence which was felt as a power throughout the State. The teaching and preaching of Dr. Beman, that intellectual giant and master reasoner--whom he admired and reverenced--had so thrilled and impressed him, and his sense of personal responsibility was so great, that his public efforts in Milwaukee were remarkable for their logically exact, clear and powerful argumentation, for their intense earnestness and impressive, persuasive eloquence. It was chiefly through the solicatations of Henry Finch and Judge Rose, while he was looking for a congenial rural retreat, where he might escape from the lake winds, that he came to Beaver Dam, "prospecting," in March, 1856; having passed through the county frequently since 1849, over the old, and then thronged stage route--which, striking north from Watertown, in this county, through Oak Grove, past Hyland and Burgit Corners and the Buck Horn Tavern, wound across the prairies to the valley of the Fox--he knew the attractiveness of the environment, and the delightful drives he could make from Beaver Dam through the park-like "oak openings" and charming prairies; thus the beauty and fertility of this region, together with the energy and enterprise manifested by the citizens, decided him to locate here, and he returned with his family the following May. He speedily and heartily identified himself, not only with the spiritual, but with the material development and growth of the city and country. His connection with the First Presbyterian Church, whose pulpit he supplied form 1856 to 1864 was indefinite during most of that time, for he hoped, if he regained his vigor, to work in a larger sphere; but his nervous and vital energy was impaired more than he at first suspected, and, when he was satisfied that his system would never fully recover its former tone, he accepted this charge, and was installed July 20, 1864. So broad was the range of his sympathy, so great his power of adaptability, so genial, consistent and --though unobtrusive--so persuasive his life, that it attracted and secured the respectful attention, and the help, not only of professional men, merchants and manufacturers, but of the laboring class, and many of the best farmers round about; for, while he rejoiced to see the plow extending its sway over the wild sward, he also earnestly desired to see the Sabbath establishing its serentiy over the fields. An Anti-Slavery man, when, with a few stalwart souls, he braved martyrdom in its cause, he lived to see the North standing solidly against slave-holders and treason; his brave, patriotic heart was aroused by his country's danger, and his enthusiastic speeches inflamed the patriotism of his townsmen and incited them to bravery and self-denial; his sermons and speeches in this cause of humanity, justice, authority and truth not only aroused and cheered the despondent in hours of defeat and depression--like trumpet-calls to rally once again--but were instrumental in creating a public sentiment which Lincoln awaited for to sustain him in the issuing of his immortal Emancipation Proclamation--that memorable death-stroke to slavery. As a pulpit orator he had few superiors; calm, dignified, earnest--often intensely so--and impassioned, his magnetic power and "rare eloquence" enchained and impressed his audience. As his strength, physically, slowly but steadily declined, his intellect worked more actively and easily; he had never suffered rust to gather on his faculties, and he kept up readily with the advance of thought and scientific criticism, and met all the arguments of the materialists with his clear, powerful reason. His good judgment in building, his refined taste shown in the planting of ornamental shrubs and trees, and in the loving care of flowers, are seen reflected in and about many of the beautiful and attractive homes of this city, and also in the inception and the laying-out and adorning of that beautiful, lovable and peaceful resting-place of the dead--Oakwood Cemetery. Rev. L. Hawley, who claims the same Alma Mater, says of him, in tribute to his memory on the first anniversary of his death, May 5, 1876: "A Pastor here for about twenty years, he had largely grown up with the place, and had molded it as no other had. There was not an interest he did not care for; his plastic hand was seen everywhere, molding things to order and virtue; it was in the municipal affairs of the city, in its schools, in its business relations, and pre-eminently in its religious, moral and benevolent institutions. The aesthetic element was just as prominent in him. He had a woman's love of flowers, and this aesthetic property gave a charm to all his public performances, and notably to his prayers. Great, then, was the loss to this community; every circle, every class, every interest, felt the stroke when Dr. Miter died."
Miter, William J.
WILLIAM J. MITER, Beaver Dam, son of Rev. J. J. Miter, deceased, was born in Milwaukee May 10, 1845; came with his parents to Beaver Dam 9n 1856; he was educated at the Beaver Dam High School, and Wayland University, of this place; learned the wholesale dry-goods business with James Bonnell, of Milwaukee; afterward he was for four years bookkeeper for the well-known firm of Sexton Bros. & Co., of Milwaukee. Oct 30, 1868, he was married, in Milwaukee, to Miss Mary E. Colby, who died at Minneapolis Jan. 28, 1879, leaving three daughters--Bessie, Ethel and Fannie; the wife of Rev. J. J. Miter died in Beaver Dam April 22, 1878; the family now consists of Wm. J., Mary L. (now Mrs. G. S. Hawley, of Watertown, WI), Henry B. (at present one of the Professors of Ripon College), Fannie I. and John C.
Moe, Abram D.
ABRAM D. MOE, of the firm of Grobman & Moe, dealers in musical instruments; the popular Sohmer Bros. piano, manufactured in New York, is sold by this firm; they also sell the Taber organ, made at Worcester, MA, and the A. B. Chase organ, manufactured at Norwalk, OH; they make the instrument mentioned a specialty, although they deal in other instruments and musical merchandise. Mr. Moe was born in Farmerville, Seneca Co., NY, Nov. 16, 1835; when he was about 6 years of age, his parents removed to Racine Co., WI, where they resided for four years, in what is now the town of Caledonia; they came to the head of Green Lake, in what is now the town of Princeton; the subject sketch resided there, and in the village of Princeton, until 1867, then moved to Lowell, Dodge Co.; after six years' residence at the latter place, he came to Beaver Dam, where he has since lived; at the age of 21 years, he commenced teaching in the public schools of Wisconsin, at the same time he began to teach vocal music, and conducted singing schools for many years; in fact, until his removal to Beaver Dam, he devoted his entire attention to teaching--except during the time he was in the army. He enlisted in Co. F, 36th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, in February, 1864; mustered out in July 1865. For the last six years Mr. Moe has been engaged in selling musical instruments. He was married, in Oak Grove, Dodge Co., WI, Nov. 10, 1861, to Miss Adelia Cook; she was born in Cayuga Co., NY; two children--Arthur D. and Harry.
PHELPS MOORE, livery stable; born in Genesee Co., N. Y., Dec. 11, 1827; son of S. F. Moore, who was from Vermont, and was a soldier in the war of 1812; he enlisted when at the age of 18, and was engaged in several battles; he emigrated to Erie Co., N. Y., and died when about 56 years old. Phelps Moore came to Waupun in the fall of 1849; he went to La Crosse and entered 180 acres of land; he lived in Minnesota three years; in 1851, engaged in the grocery business in Waupun and afterward went into the livery business, which he has been successfully engaged in since; he has the best livery stock in this part of the country. Mr. Moore married Anna M. Hewitt, daughter of George A. Hewitt; the children were Edith M., died when 2 years old; Ellis T., is attending college; Bay, is attending school in Waupun. Mr. Moore is a man of liberal spirit, and a prominent member of the society of Odd Fellows.
Alexander M. Morrison, flouring-mill, Fox Lake; born in Canaan, Essex Co., Vt., Sept. 17, 1819; son of John R. Morrison, who was from Rye, N. H.; was born in 1799, and died in 1866; he came to Oak Grove, Wis., in 1846, and settled on eighty acres, and afterward moved to Burnett, and died there. Alexander started for himself when 22 years old; went to Danversport, Mass.; was there seven or eight years, and came to Oak Grove, Wis. in 1858, was there a year, and went to Trenton, and farmed on sixty-five acres, and afterward acquired 165 acres; came to Fox Lake in 1868; in 1870, went into the fire insurance business, representing the American, of Chicago; purchased the power June 1, 1878, and together with Mr. Coman, built one of the finest flouring-mills in the State; can turn out seventy-five bushels in twenty-four hours; makes a fine grade of patent flour; through perseverance, honest industry and frugality, he is in good circumstances. Married, Dec. 31, 1848, Mary J. Elliott, who was from Salem, Mass.; have had five children--Georgiana, died when 7 years old; John H., died when 4 years old; Walter E. is living in Fox Lake, and is engaged in the mill, another child died in infancy, George Albert is living at home. Mr. Morrison and family are members of Baptist Church, at Fox Lake; Mr. Morrison gave his will and support to the Union at the time of the war.
Morse, D. S.
D. S. MORSE, Justice of the Peace, was born in Windsor Co., Vt. June 30, 1816; son of Samuel Morse, who was a native of Connecticut and was a soldier in the war of 1812; his father was Sherman Morse, a Connecticut man; the family were from England originally; Samuel Morse died in 1866, at the age of 73; the family came to Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 27, 1843 (Dennis and his brother, O. A. Morse, had been through the West before this date, selling Connecticut clocks), and came to Chester, Dodge Co., September, 1844; they were among the earliest settlers in this section of the country; they settled on about two hundred acres and lived in a log house with one room, and went through all the hardships that surrounded the early settlers; Mr. D. S. Morse sold out his farm about 1851, and came to Waupun, where he has been ever s ince, engaged in buying and selling wheat, loaning money, etc., and now has a competence through his industry and frugality. Mr. Morse married, in 1838, Miss L. J. Parks, daughter of John Parks, who was a native of Vermont; the children are O. A. Morse, Jr., who is engaged in manufacturing carriages; Samuel, living in Fond du Lac; Harvey, died in 1872, about the age of 27 (he was an express agent at Beaver Dam and a much respected man); Hattie A., married W. S. Lawrence and is living in Waupun; Susie married D. A. Lowber, and is living in Waupun; Sherman J. Morse is practicing law in Waupun. Mr. Morse has been a member of the School Board and Town Board many times, and is now serving as Justice of the Peace, as he has twice before; he is a member of the Odd Fellows and has taken all the degrees, and is an honored and respected citizen.
John Murphy, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Danville; was born in County Wexford, Ireland, in 1822. He was married to Margaret Roche, who was born in County Wexford in 1818. Mr. Murphy came to the United States in 1849; lived in Utica, N. Y., about two years; came to Dodge Co., in 1866, and settled where he now lives. He has four children--John F., Gretta, Henry and Susan; lost one daughter, Mary A. His farm consists of seventy-six acres.
Nash, N. P.
N. P. Nash, farmer, Sec. 29; P. O. Oak Grove; born in New Haven, Addison Co., Vt. July 21, 1830; son of Gen. William Nash, who was a native of Connecticut, and was a General in the old State Militia in Vermont; was President for twenty-five years of the oldest bank in Middlebury, Vt., a bank that never closed its doors. N. P. Nash came to Wisconsin and settled in Oak Grove, in Sections 29 and 30, in 1860. Married, March 29, 1860, Ellen V. Smith, daughter of Judge Oliver Smith, of New Haven, Vt.; he was a prominent and popular man, and a stanch Republican; have had three children--Edward P. (Born Jan. 10, 1861, living at home), Henry Otis (born in March, 1863, has been attending school in Vermont), William Wallace (born Jan. 18, 1869). A brother, Mr. C. D. Nash, who is President of the National Bank of Milwaukee, owns a fine summer residence at Lake Side, Pewaukee Lake, twenty miles from Milwaukee. Mr. N. P. Nash is a public-spirited and popular man. He and his family are honored members of the Congregational Church. He has a very pretty residence, and all pertaining to the comfort, and necessary to the management of a large and well kept farm.
JOHN NELSON, lumber, Minnesota Junction; born in Norway Aug. 5, 1834; son of Nels Johnson; John went to school and worked on the farm in the old country, and came to America Aug. 2, 1862, by the way of Canada; then went to Rolling Prairie, and enlisted Aug. 14, 1862, in the 29th W. V. I., Co. K, Col. Gill; was in many hard-fought battles--Port Gibson, Champion Hills, siege of Vicksburg, and up the Red River with Gen. Banks, and at Mobile at the time of the great explosion; served his time faithfully, and was honorably discharged. Came back and worked on the prairie, and at Horicon, and was with Mr. Perry a number of years, and bought him out in December, 1876, and has been carrying on the lumber business in a very successful way, and through his industry and hard work is gaining a competency. Married Hattie Haughton, daughter of S. V. R. Haughton, of Juneau, in 1876.
Nicolaus, H. C.
H. C. NICOLAUS, manufacturer of cigars, Beaver Dam, was born at Mequon River, WI, Feb. 2, 1849; he received his early education there, and assisted his father on the farm; in 1867, he came to Beaver Dam; Mr. Nicolaus learned his trade of cigar-maker in Milwaukee, and, in 1869, commenced the manufacture of cigars on his own account in Beaver Dam, and has continued this business up to the present writing. He married, Nov. 13, 1873, Angeline Dusell, of Beaver Dam; he has three children living--Clara, Carl and Albert.
Nims, O. D.
O. D. Nims, farmer, Secs. 25 and 26; P. O. Neosho; born in Jefferson Co., N. Y., Feb. 19, 1836; son of Loyal Nims, who removed to Hustisford in October, 1850, and bought 107 acres of wild, heavily timbered land; of this only one acre was cleared, on which was a log house; this wilderness was cleared and made a home. O. D. Nims lived on forty acres on Sec. 25, until Oct. 11, 1864, when he enlisted in the 1st Wis. Heavy Artillery, and was in and about the defenses of the Capitol, until June, 1865, when the battery returned, Mr. Nims being discharged from the Sickles Hospital, Alexandria, where he had been confined two or three months by sickness. His brother, Adolphus, was killed at the battle of Perryville; William, of the 38th Iowa, died at Memphis, and Frank died at Nashville. Soon after his return from service, Mr. Nims settled on the old homestead. Married Miss Anna Dorward, of Forfarshire, Scotland, Jan. 11, 1858; they have six children— Frank L., Alexander W., Anna, Almira, Lillie and Harriet. Mr. Nims is a Democrat, and a member of Neosho Lodge, No. 128, I. O. O. F. He has native cows for dairy purposes, also other stock and the usual crops.
Noyes, G. H.
G. H. NOYES, farmer, Sec. 34; P. O. Beaver Dam; is a son of S. N. and Mary A. Noyes, early immigrants to Dodge Co., his father coming in 1844, and his mother in 1846; G. H. was born in Beaver Dam in 1852; was educated in the public schools, and has since devoted his time to farming; he now owns a farm of 94 acres in Sec. 34, within the city limits of Beaver Dam. In 1873, he married Miss Fannie, daughter of Samuel and Fannie Sunderland, and a native of England; they have three children--Raymond A., Oliver W. and Mabel A. Mr. and Mrs. Noyes are members of the Assembly Presbyterian Church.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2012 by Clare Guse.