|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
Sanford, Abel B.
Abel B. Sanford, farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Alderly; born in Newtown, Fairfield Co., Conn., in 1822; came to Wisconsin in 1841, locating at Waukesha, where he worked on his father's farm and taught school for five years; in 1846, he moved to Ashippun, where he purchased 120 acres, his present homestead. Mr. Sanford is one of the pioneers of the township, and has been very successful in raising both stock and grain. Married, Feb. 27, 1849, Miss Esther Curtis, a native of New Haven Co., Conn.; they have had eight children, five living--David A., the oldest son, graduated at Philadelphia in June, 1878, and was ordained at Milwaukee in June, 1879, and received charge of the Kemper Mission of Darlington, Wis. Mr. Sanford was, in 1848, Town Clerk; in 1849, Town Treasurer; from 1850 to 1857, Town Clerk; in 1866, Town Clerk; in 1868-69, Town Clerk, and also Justice of the Peace two years. Democrat.
Adolph Saurhering, M. D., Mayville; born in Prussia Sept. 11, 1821; was educated in Konigsberg University; at the age of 17 he entered a drug store and studied pharmacy; passed an examination in 1842, remaining one year in the store as head clerk; he began the study of surgery in 1844, and recommenced the study of pharmacy in the fall; he remained till 1846; he then served one year as a volunteer in the Prussian garrison at Spandau; passed his second examination in 1847, and was honorably discharged from the garrison in the same year; he then resumed his study of pharmacy, and has since devoted his whole life to the study and practice of medicine; studied under a private tutor and won his certificate in 1850; resolved to seek a broader field for practice, he landed at New York in August, 1850; spent one month in Milwaukee and settled in Mayville Nov. 1, 1850; he found four physicians in the place and was first supported by the Americans; he kept steadily at work, and as a result now has a ride extending from Rubicon to Oakfield and from the Horicon marsh into Washington Co.; during the first five months, he traveled on foot, frequently walking forty miles per day; in 1853, his practice required the use of two horses; since 1854, he has constantly used three horses; owing to new, rough roads, he road horseback during a great part of the first five years; was the unsuccessful owner of a saw-mill about six months in Le Roy; disabled by overwork, the Doctor practiced but little during 1868-69; he has traveled on an average since 1853, forty miles per day, 14,600 miles per year, and more than thirteen times round the world; he has averaged fifty miles per day during 1879, and often rides twenty hours per day for a fortnight; he has, by the use of six horses, ridden 120 miles per day for five successive days; the Doctor has the endurance of a white bear. He has been a Mason since 1854, and belongs to Aurora Lodge, Milwaukee. In politics, a Democrat; he was Town Clerk in 1858. He owns a farm of 280 acres adjoining Mayville, where he has a pleasant home. The Doctor has eight living children.
Rudolph Saurhering, druggist, Mayville; born in Prussia Dec. 15, 1823; was educated in Konigsberg University; was in the 5th Prussian Regiment, Dantzic, about two years, and was discharged in 1847; was called out, and fought through the Revolution of 1848; when war was threatened between Austria and Prussia, in 1850, he again served several months; came to America and to Mayville in the fall of 1851; was with his brother Adolf, in a drug store, and learned the business of him; was about one year in a store at Iron Ridge, and was in the Le Roy saw-mill with his brother. In June, 1856, he began his present business, and has steadily increased it; has a large stock of drugs, paints and oils, books, stationery, wall-paper, etc. Dec. 15, 1858, he married Miss Henrietta Hartwig; they have five children--Huldah, Edward, Rudolph, Hartha and Richard. Mr. Saurhering is a Republican, and has been Postmaster, Town Clerk, Town Treasurer, School Treasurer, Justice of the Peace, and is now School Clerk; was United States Gauger, from 1870, till the office was abolished; he is a member in good standing of Vesper Lodge and Horicon Chapter A., F. & A. M.
Savin, J. B.
J. B. SAVIN, photographer; was born in Walden, Caledonia Co., VT, May 17, 1846, and came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1866, locating in Sparta; he learned his trade with Raymond Nias, and then opened a gallery on his own account in Sparta; in 1876, he came to Beaver Dam and opened a photographic parlor on Spring street, which he is now carrying on with good success. He enlisted in 1865, in Co. G, 169th New York Volunteer Infantry, Col. Aldine, and was engaged in the following battles: Fort Fisher, NC, and battles before Richmond, VA, and two or three skirmishes. He married, Jan. 26, 1870, Etta Derringer, who died July 6, 1872; he was again married, March 2, 1874, Ella Ehinger, of Beaver Dam; he has two children--Birney and Mary.
Hiram Sawyer, farmer, Sec. 20; P. O. Burnett; was the son of Benjamin C. and Mindwell Sawyer, natives of New Hampshire, and was born Aug. 21, 1814, in the town of Orford, Grafton Co., N. H.; came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1845, and settled on the farm he now occupies in the town of Burnett. Has held the office of Town Supervisor two years, was Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors two years, and was a member of the Assembly in 1866; has also been statistical correspondent of the Agricultural Department at Washington for the last six years. Was married, Feb. 14, 1837, to Barbara Ann Wilson, who was born Oct. 17, 1819, at Haverhill, Grafton Co., N. H., and was the daughter of Jonathan and Mary Wilson, natives of New Hampshire. Mr. Sawyer followed stone-cutting in New Hampshire, from 1829 to 1844; but, since coming to Wisconsin, has followed farming. Lost two children--Barbara Adaline, born Feb. 19, 1839, and died Sept. 10, 1862; Hattie Ann, born April 6, 1857, died Sept, 20, 1864, and has ten living--Abigail Eliza, born Jan. 19, 1841; Hiram Wilson, born June 11, 1843; Mary Mindwell, born Aug. 23, 1845; Ransom J. , born Sept. 22, 1847; Hannah Wilson, born Oct. 7, 1849; Frank Merrill, born May 20, 1852; Alvah L. born Sept. 16, 1854; Mattie Rosette, born July 22, 1860; Sarah P., born April 6, 1863, and Lewis M., born March 22, 1867. Mr. Sawyer has 180 acres of land, valued at about $75 per acre.
George Schaumberg, proprietor of the Main street meat-market, Mayville; born in Germantown, Washington Co., Wis, Aug. 14, 1857; has spent his life, and been educated in Wisconsin; he lived four years in Milwaukee, where he learned his business; opened a shop in Theresa in 1877; Aug. 1, 1879, he began in Mayville, and has done a good business, as he has a central location. He married, Sept. 18, 1878, Miss Sophia Albrecht. Mr. Schaumberg is in politics a Democrat; he is one of the youngest and most successful of the business men of Mayville.
August Schellpfeffer, farmer, Secs. 12 and 13, P. O. Mayville; born in Prussia July 8, 1826; spent his early life and was educated in his native country; was in the Prussian Army three and a half years; came to America and to Dodge Co. in 1852; began here as a farm laborer, and, in 1854, he bought 40 acres; he now has 240 acres of well-improved land, and has a third-interest with the Mayville Brewing Co.; this may be fairly called a good record for a man who began as he did. He married Miss Theresa Wolter Jan. 9, 1858; they have three children--Henry, Bertha and August. Mr. Schellpfeffer is a Democrat; has been Chairman and Assessor, and is now President of the town insurance company. He is a Lutheran in religious belief.
Frederick Schellpfeffer, farmer, Sec. 27; P. O. Mayville; born in Prussia, Aug. 26, 1828; spent his early life and was educated in Prussia, and was in the Prussian Army three years; came to America and to Dodge Co. in 1853; worked as a farm hand, and used to get $6 per month in harvest; settled on forty acres of timbered land in 1856; he worked hard, and chopped out a farm of 110 acres, with good improvements. He married Miss Anna Keile in 1855; they have eight children--Frederick, Henry, Amelia, Charles, Emma, August, Louisa and Clara. Mr. Schellpfeffer is a Democrat, and has been Supervisor twice; is a member of the Lutheran Church of Mayville.
Schwantz, A. F.
A. F. Schwantz, farmer, Secs. 3, 4 and 10; P. O. Horicon; born in Prussia, Aug. 26, 1828; came to America in 1856, and settled on his present farm of ninety acres; began with forty acres of dense forest on which not a tree had been cut; built a log house, and wen5 at his pioneer work of clearing and improving; he now has a well-improved farm with good buildings; at the time of his settlement there were only two German families in his School District; now all except on family are Germans. Mr. Schwantz is a Democrat, ans was Town Supervisor two years during the war, having a trying task to fill out the town quotas. He married Miss Henrietta Krueger April 10, 1856; they have four children--Linna, Theodore, Otto and Emma. The family are Lutherans.
Schultze, Henry F.
Henry F. Schultze, furniture manufacturer and dealer, Horicon; born in Prussia in 1852; came to America in 1857, with his parents, who settled in Monroe Co., N. Y.; here he attended school, and began to learn cabinet making; he has been in Michigan and other States, and, having learned the business, began in Horicon in 1876; has the largest and most complete stock of furniture, picture frames, trunks, baby carriages, etc., in town; also has everything in the undertaking line, including hearse; Mr. Shultze invites the patronage of the people, and will guarantee satisfaction in price and quality of goods and work. He is Independent in politics, and is a Lutheran in religion.
James Scoular, furnaceman, Mayville; born in Sterlingshire, Scotland, March 29, 1824; was educated and learned his business in his native land; came to America in 1850; lived two years in Portage, Wis.; was two years in Indiana with the N.-W. Iron Co.; came to Mayville and worked two years for the same Company, under J. White; was then placed in charge of the furnace, which position he held until the Company shut down the works in 1875; has since resided in the village. Married Miss Elizabeth Duncan in 1854; they have six children--Isabella, Alexander, John, Jennie, George and William. Mr. Scoular is a Republican.
M. Shafer, general repairer of jewelry, Beaver Dam; was born in Hamilton, Canada West, March 12, 1820, and came to Wisconsin in November, 1854, locating at Beaver Dam; he worked for Mr. Kribs, jewelry, for five years, and afterward on his own account; he is now in the general repair business. He is Justice of the Peace of the Fourth Ward. He married, Jan. 1, 1846, Catherine Ann Elderkin, of Toronto; has four children--Samuel J., Joel J. (Editors of the Phonograph at Colby, Wis.), Margaret and Dorathy. Mr. and Mrs. Shafer are members of the M. E. Church.
Shepard, L. H.
L. H. Shepard, farmer, Sec. 20; P. O. Burnett; was born in Erie Co., N. Y., Oct. 25; 1825, and was the son of Amos and Chloe Ann Shepard, natives of Vermont; when 18 years of age, in the fall of 1843, his parents removed to Wisconsin, and settled in the town of Burnett, Dodge Co. Dec. 4, 1856, he was married to Cordelia Mattoon, who was born Oct. 19, 1835, and was the daughter of Harvey and Susan Mattoon, natives of St. Lawrence Co., N. Y. Mr. Shepard has resided in the town of Burnett since 1843, and for the last twenty years has been engaged in selling machinery for McCormick, of Chicago; has 281 ½ acres of land in Secs. 17 and 20, in Burnett, worth about $60 per acre. Was a member of the State Legislature in the winter of 1877-78. Has four children--Mintie, born Oct. 27, 1857; Kate, born Aug. 21, 1859; Guy R., born Nov. 8, 1865; and Nellie D., born July 25, 1867.
Sikes, F. E,
F. E. Sikes, merchant; born in Granby, Mass., May 1, 1842; son of Edward Sikes, who was born in Lowell, Mass. The family came to Oakfield, Fond du Lac Co., Wis., in spring of 1844, and Edward engaged in agricultural pursuits; was a successful farmer for twenty-one years, and moved to Waupun in 1865, and Jan. 19, 1866, Mr. F. E. Sikes engaged in the general merchandise business, which he has carried on in a business-like and successful way ever since; his father, Mr. Edward Sikes, is living in Waupun at the age of 72. While living in Oakfield, he held many offices of trust. Francis E. married in March, 1877, the Widow Robins, daughter of J. S. Gee; there is one child by this union--Frank Trewman. Mr. Sikes enlisted Aug. 15, 1862, in the 21st W. V. I.; was in many engagements, among which were Perryville, Champion Hills and Stone River; at Perryville, had four balls shot through his clothing; he was honorably discharged after serving his time faithfully. Mr. Sikes carries a large and well-assorted stock of groceries, boots and shoes and notions, and, through his strict attention to business and good management, is building up a prosperous trade.
Smith, E. P.
E. P. SMITH, lawyer, Beaver Dam; was born in Burlington, Vt., Feb. 18, 1827, and came to Wisconsin in May, 1848, locating in Milwaukee. From Burlington he moved to Waterford, N. Y., where he commenced his education at Prof. Taylor Lewis' Academy; from there he went to the University of Vermont, and, in 1847, completed his collegiate course at the Union College, Schenectady, N. Y.; from Waterford he moved to Milwaukee, and completed his law studies in the law office of Finch & Lynde; in October, 1849, he moved to Beaver Dam and practiced law until 1872, when he established his headquarters at Milwaukee, where he has a large practice. Mr. Smith was the second Mayor of Beaver Dam; was again Mayor of the city in 1856, and was afterward elected for a partial term; in 1858, he was City Attorney for two terms, and from 1855 to 1872, he was U. S. Court Commissioner for the District of Wisconsin. Mr. Smith married, Oct. 23, 1862, Agnes Hargrave, of Montreal; he has two children living--Agnes and Edwards.
Smith, J. T.
J. T. SMITH, woolen manufacturer, Beaver Dam; was born in Brookhaven, Suffolk Co., N. Y., Oct. 7, 1848, and came to Wisconsin in August, 1862, locating at Beaver Dam; received his early education at the Fergusonville Academy, in Delaware Co., N. Y., and c ompleted the same at Union College, Schenectady; he then went to Markesan, Green Lake Co., where for eight years he engaged in general merchandising under the firm name of J. T. Smith & Co.; he then moved to Beaver Dam, where he purchased an interest in the Beaver Dam Woolen-Mills, in which business he is now engaged. Mr. Smith was School Director for several years and also Village Trustee of Markesan; he was Mayor of Beaver Dam in 1876. Mr. Smith married, March 26, 1872, Emma A. Gentil, of Prairie du Chien, Wis.; he has two children living--Edith Susan and Amelia Treadwell. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Episcopal Church at Beaver Dam.
Snow, W. H.
W. H. Snow, dealer in general merchandise and lumber merchant, Reeseville; was born in Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, in 1838. His father, James Snow, was a native of Massachusetts, born in 1779; his mother, Lucia Gloyd, was born in 1800; she married James Snow in New Hampshire; they moved to New York; thence to Ohio, and, in 1845, came West and settled in Lowell, Dodge Co., Wis., they having determined to make that place their future home; he was a man fully identified with the various interests of the county, ans was deeply honored for his integrity and goodness of heart; he died Sept. 22, 1872. His mother (now deceased,) was a member of the Congregational Church, and a woman of rare Christian virtues. In early life, W. H. Snow (the subject of this sketch) attended the district schools and acquired a good common school education; he then learned the carpenter trade, and followed the business of contractor and builder for a number of years; in about 1868, he started a lumber-yard, in which line he is now doing a large business; in about 1872, he engaged in the mercantile business, in which he has met with almost unprecedented success; he is a public-spirited, enterprising citizen, and much of Reeseville’s growth and prosperity is due to him. Politically, Mr. Snow acts with the Republican party. He married, in Lowell, Miss Mary J. Church, daughter of William and Caroline Church, pioneer settlers of this county; they have three children--Harry L., Willie J. and Leta.
Andrew Snyder, Neosho; born in New York in 1837; came to Wisconsin in 1845, locating at Rubicon, where his father purchased eighty acres and resided till his death, May 7, 1865; the early portion of Andrew’s life was spent on his father’s farm, Andrew succeeding to the homestead after his death, where he resided until 1877, when he sold out and traveled to California, Washington Territory and Oregon, returning to Rubicon in July, 1878, where he now resides; he has retired from active business; he is the owner of the celebrated stud-horse, Young Andrew Jackson, of Columbus, Wis., he by Andrew Jackson, of Watertown, N. Y.; he is 6 years old, dark mahogany bay and weighs 1,220 pounds. For style, color, weight and condition, he stands unequaled; the horse is now under the charge of B. Rickert, a well-known horseman.
Henry Spiering, farmer and insurance agent, Mayville; born in Prussia July 7, 1831; spent his school-boy days in Prussia, and came to America in 1846; lived three years in Milwaukee, where he attended school; settled in Mayville in 1849; here he worked four years as a tailor; has been a land-owner during a great part of his residence in Wisconsin; is a loyal Democrat, and has creditably filled many offices; was first made Constable and Deputy Sherriff, and has been President of the Village Board, a member of the County Board, Chairman of the Town Board, Town Treasurer, Village Clerk, etc.; elected to the Wisconsin Legislature in 1878; Mr. Spiering founded the Dodge Count Pionier, March, 1876. Married Miss Augusta Sprenger in 1862; they have eight children--Ida, Adrienna, Wilhelmina, Henry, Bertha, Ottilia, William and Rudolph. Mr. S. is a member of the Lutheran Church.
Caesar Spillcke, photographer, Mayville; born in Hamburg April 12, 1849; here for a time he was clerk in a large wholesale house; came to America in May, 1867; spent one year in Manistee, Mich., and three years in Calumet Co., Wis.; settled in Mayville in May, 1871; was employed as clerk, etc., about two years; began the study of photography with E. H. Wille, Mayville, and learned the art of J. Byam, of Fond du Lac, and Charles Folquarts, now of Greenbush, Wis.; has since followed his chosen profession with good success, and has the only business of the kind in Mayville. Married Miss Pauline Muller, of Mayville, Nov. 30, 1871; they have four children--Selma, Olga, Agnes and Cecilia. Mr. Spillcke is a lover and student of music, playing several instruments with skill; has been leader of the Mayville brass band about four years; he is a member of the Mayville Turners' Society.
Abiel Stark, deceased. Randolph has its many prominent men, but none perhaps took a more active part or greater interest in the early affairs of the village, than the subject of this sketch. He was the son of Nathan and Rebecca Stark; born (Dec. 20, 1806) in Lynn, New London Co., Conn.; spent his early life on his father’s farm in his native county. April 3, 1831, he married Miss Jane A., daughter of Samuel and Rebecca Ely, nee Smith--a grand-daughter of the noted Dr. William Ely, of Hanover, N. J.; in the spring of 1853, they left their home in New London Co., Conn., and immigrated to Dodge Co., Wis.; reaching the town of Westford April 19, of that year, he purchased a farm of 160 acres, eighty of which lies in the west half of the west half of Sec. 6, Westford, including much of the land where the village of Randolph now stands; the other eighty acres lie in Sec. 36, Randolph, and in Cortland, Columbia Co.; the forty in Sec. 36 includes the southwest portion of the village; this farm was his home, and here he could be found at most any time, either devoting his attention to agricultural pursuits or looking after the interests of the little village. He died Aug. 26, 1869, leaving a widow by whom he had eleven children--William H., John G., Edward C., all of Randolph; Laura L., deceased; Isaac, deceased; James A., of Piute Co., Utah; Maria A., of New York City; Mary J., Anna R.; Mrs. Morris Blodgett, of Cortland, Columbia Co., Wis., and Charles A., of Randolph. The family is connected with the Baptist Church.
Stevens, M. E.
M. E. STEVENS, retired, Beaver Dam; was born in Westfield, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., Nov. 18, 1819, and came to Wisconsin in January, 1846, locating in the town of Trenton, whre he engaged in farming, his farm consisting of 400 acres of land; he then moved to Beaver Dam and engaged in farming 476 acres of land, which farm he still retains. In Trenton Township, he was Assessor for one year. He married, Dec. 15, 1845, Mary Rodgers, of Westfield, N. Y., who died in 1854. He again married, March 10, 1856, Ann D. Shaw, of Cayuga Co., N. Y.; he has one child living--Elma. Mr. and Mrs. Stevens are members of the First Presbyterian Church at Beaver Dam.
St. John, Jacob
Jacob St. John, farmer, Sec. 22; P. O. Mayville; born in Fayette Co., Penn., Nov. 9, 1812; came with his parents to Ohio at the age of 7, and remained until 1852, when he removed to Green Co., Wis.; settled in Dodge County in 1853, on the farm now owned by Mr. Hoffman; this farm he cleared and improved; located on his present farm of ninety-eight acres in April, 1867. Married Miss Ann Smith in 1837; they have eleven living children--Calvin, Cyrus, William, Alcinda, Amanda, John, Hannah, Jacob, Perry, Mary and Clarence. Mr. St. John is a stanch Democrat, and has been Assessor, Supervisor and Chairman several terms. Albert St. John died in the Union Army.
St. John, William R.
William R. St. John, Principal of the Mayville High School; born in Trumball Co., Ohio, Sept. 8, 1842; came to Green Co., Wis.; with his parents, when quite young; after one year they removed to Dodge County where they have since lived; Mr. St. John attended the Mayville and Horicon High Schools, and began as a teacher at 20; was one term in the Oshkosh Normal School, and has taught constantly since; was appointed Principal of the Mayville School in 1869, which position he now holds; he has probably taught a greater number of terms in the county than any resident in it. Married Miss Isabel Scoular, of Mayville, Aug. 2, 1875; they have one daughter-Jennie. Mr. St. John is a Democrat, and a member of Vesper Lodge, A., F. & A. M.
Frederick Stock, teacher of German, Mayville High School; born in Prussia Aug. 29, 1826; came to America, when 13 years of age, with his parents, locating in Buffalo, N. Y., where he attended school; came to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1843, and resided till 1851 in Ozaukee Co. as a teacher; he then went to Baltimore, Md., and taught German about five years; returning to Milwaukee, he taught in the Engleman School until 1861; then taught in the Sixth Ward School two years; settled in Mayville, January, 1863, and taught German in the village till 1872, when he removed to Oshkosh, Wis.; after teaching in that city about four years, he returned to Mayville. Mr. Stock has led a busy and useful life as a teacher. Oct. 12, 1849, he married Miss Wilhelmina Milbrath, a native of Prussia, and a Wisconsin pioneer of 1839; they have six living children--Amelia, Henrietta, Augusta, Amil, William and Julius. Mr. Stock was born and bred a Lutheran, but is now liberal in religion.
GUSTAVUS STOLZ, general store, Beaver Dam; was born in Bohemia Nov. 22, 1827, and came to Wisconsin in the spring of 1854, locating in Watertown. Mr. Stolz received a mercantile education in Bohemia and then traveled as salesman for a wholesale vinegar factory; he was also special agent for the Nuremburg Toy Manufactory of Bavaria; in May, 1854, he went to Watertown as clerk until 1855, when he came to Beaver Dam, where he opened a general store, in connection with Mr. Beichel, under the firm name of Stolz & Beichel, which he continued for three years; he then opened a restaurant, which he continued for twelve years; in 1870, he started a grocery store in connection with the restaurant; he then sold out the restauran and has continued the general store business on his own account up to the present writing with remarkable success. In 1858, he was Alderman of the First Ward, and has held this office, with a slight intermission, for the past fifteen years, now representing the Second Ward; he is also one of the Board of the Second Ward; in 1871, he was appointed Notary Public and still holds the same. Mr. Stolz is agent for the following insurance companies: Phoenix, of Hartford; Orient, of Hartford; Traders', of Chicago; Commonwealth of Boston; Milwaukee Mechanics'; and Germania Life, of New York. He is also agent for the following lines of ocean steamers: American Red Star Line, Philadelphia; White Star Line. Hamburg American Packet Co., North German-Lloyd, Inman, State Line, National Line and Guyon Line. Married, Dec. 26, 1855, Emily Hamf, of Prussia; he has six children--Otto, Emma, Martha, Ella, Ernst and Erma.
Alden Stone (deceased); born June 16, 1805, in Massachusetts, near Worcester; son of John G. and Lydia Stone, natives of Massachusetts, who removed to the State of New York when he was about 10 years of age, and settled in Madison Co. Dec. 28, 1828, he was married to Miss Harriet Webster, who was born Dec. 9, 1804, in Madison Co., N. Y.; daughter of Plumly and Lydia Webster, both natives of the State of New York. In the spring of 1829, he removed to Allegany Co., N. Y., and lived there about eight years; then went to McHenry Co., Ill., where he resided till the fall of 1845, when he came to Wisconsin and settled in Burnett, on the farm now occupied by his widow, 116 acres, worth $10,000. Mr. Stone was Assessor of the town of Burnett several years. Leaves six children--Charles (living in Iowa), Mary (now Mrs. Copeland Remington, of Freeborn Co., Minn.), Nancy, William (now living in Oshkosh, Wis.), Oscar and Sarah (who are living on the homestead with their mother); P. O. Burnett Station.
JOHN STURNER, proprietor of hardware store and manufacturer of harness, Lowell; was born in Aidlinger, Kingdom of Wurtemburg, Germany, Nov. 18, 1846; in 1855, he came to the United States with his parents; they settled in Elba, Dodge Co., where he received a liberal education; after he left school, he went to Cannon City, Minn., where he remained about thirteen months, at the end of which time, he returned home, and in the spring of 1866, went to Dubuque, Iowa, returning in the autumn of the same year; in the spring of 1868, he went to Grand Rapids; remained there until February, 1869, when he again returned home; remaining at home a short time only, he went back to Grand Rapids; went thence to Dubuque and from there to Sacramento, Cal., where he lived till 1873, when he again returned to Dodge Co.; in the spring of 1874, he engaged in the mercantile, lumber and hardware business, in connection with W. H. Snow, at Reeseville, and therein continued until Jan. 1, 1875, when he sold out to Mr. Snow, and, on March 15 of the same year, he engaged in the hardware and harness business in Lowell; he is a man of stern integrity and high business qualifications, and he has attained well-merited success and is having a large trade. May 5, 1875, he married Miss Emily Loesh, of Reeseville; they have two children--Annie L. and Hugo. In politics, Mr. Sturner is a Democrat; he, at the present writing, holds the office of Town Clerk, a position he has been the incumbent of for two years. His father, John Sturner, was a soldier in Germany six years; he married, in Germany, Anna M. Shepple, and emigrated to Elba, Dodge Co., in 1855; he was born Dec. 11, 1813; has held various offices; he now resides in Lowell; she was born Aug. 24, 1816, died April 20, 1863; their children are John (whose name appears at the head of this sketch), Barbara (now the wife of Charles Schultz, Colby, Wis.), Louisa K. (wife of Frederick Potter, Juneau, Dodge Co., Wis.).
Terry, C. M.
C. M. Terry, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Lowell; was born in the town of Chester, Morris Co., N. J., March 31, 1831. In 1823, his parents moved to Hector, Tompkin Co., N. Y., where C. M. received a liberal education. He married in Lodi, N. Y., Miss Martha Townsend; she was born in Townsendville, N. Y., a town named in honor of her grandfather, Elijah Townsend, who was one of the first settlers of the town. They were married in 1846, and in 1851 they came to Wisconsin, and settled in this (Lowell) township, which has been their home since; they have eight children--Francis A., resides on Sec. 19, Lowell Township; he married Carrie Ettinger; Arvesta Maria, Clarence Dewitt, Mary E., Sarah E., Delos B., Wilbur S. and Oakley E. Mr. Terry owns 330 acres of land; it is well located and finely improved, his residence being the best in Lowell Township. He has been an active participant in educational matters in his locality, and has been elected to various local offices. A portion of his farm he has fenced off into a park, and has several deer. He has acted with the Republican party, but now is not a party man, believing that all political action should be prompted of broad principles, and unselfish purpose.
Terry, D. C.
D. C. Terry, farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. Lowell; is a native of New York; born in Hector, Tompkins Co., Sept. 16, 1824. In early life, he received a thorough education in his native country. Sept. 24, 1849, he married, in Hector, Miss Elizabeth Finton; she was also born in Hector; in 1851, they settled in Lowell Township, Dodge Co., Wis., where they have since lived; they have two children--H. L. and Milton E. Terry. Mr. Terry is engaged in stock-raising and farming; he owns 246 acres of land and is one of the heaviest tax-payers in Lowell Township; he has been somewhat active, and heartily co-operates in all matters pertaining to the prosperity of the county; personally and socially, he is a man of excellent qualities, and throughout his life has maintained an adherence to those principles of honor, that have secured to him confidence and esteem of all whom he is acquainted. In politics, Mr. Terry has been a Republican, but his faith in the purity of political parties has become modified, and he now acts independent of party and politics, voting for whom, in his judgement, will serve the interests of the country best. His father, Nathaniel Terry, was a soldier in active service during the war of 1812. He married Sarah Coleman; both were natives of Morris Co., N. J.
Isaac Thompson, machinist, born in Sedber, England, Nov. 14, 1846; lived in several different places in England, among them, Rugby, Cherry Burton, Preston and Kendall; came to America in 1861, and settled in Fond du Lac, Wis., Sept. 14, of that year; worked on a farm for about a year then worked for O’Harnby, of Chester Station, Dodge Co., two years at the same business (farming); Dec. 21, 1864, he enlisted in the 51st. W. V. I., Co. K, to serve one year or during the war, and was discharged May 4, 1865, at Madison, Wis.; in 1865, went to work in the wagon-shop of Wells & Grannis, in Waupun, to learn blacksmithing; worked there about two and one-half years, and from there went to Brandon, then to Chester, and from there to Fond du Lac, where he worked at horse-shoeing about a year and a half, in the shop of T. S. Nowell, then worked at blacksmithing in Oakfield, Wis., two years. Dec. 28, 1870, was married to Eleanor A. Wood, of Waupun, daughter of Oliver H. and Almira Wood, who came to Wisconsin f rom Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., in 1847, and settled in Waupun; moved to Oakfield, and lived about nine months after his marriage, then back to Waupun, and commenced work for W. J. Althouse, Nov. 1, 1871; the first year at blacksmithing and since that as machinist, still in the same shop; owns an eighty-acre farm in Greene Co., Iowa; has belonged to the Masonic Fraternity since 1875; has two children--Oliver Henry, born Sept. 30, 1871, and Mary Elizabeth, born Jan. 20, 1877; Lucy Adell was born May 12, 1874, and died the next day after she was born.
Thompson, Moses T.
Moses T. Thompson, farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Columbus; is the son of Andrew and Almeda Thompson, born in Madison Co., N. Y., in 1817; in 1843, he came to Wisconsin and settled in the city of Kenosha, where he worked at the carpenter and joiner’s trade on the pier, and in the warehouse for the firm of Lake, Fisk & Lay; in 1844, he removed to McHenry Co., Ill., where he followed farming for two years; in 1846, he returned to Wisconsin and followed farming in the town of Columbus, Columbia Co., till 1864; he then bought his present farm of 120 acres in Sec. 4, Columbus; he has also a farm of eighty acres in Sec. 33, Westford, and ten acres in Sec. 5, Columbus. Jan. 31, 1844, he married Miss Jennett, daughter of Constant and Sarah Blowers, of Genesee Co., but a native of Southport, Chemung Co., N. Y.; they have had six children--Lucius H.; Lewis, deceased; Charles, of Dakota; Emma J.; Mrs. George Bashford, of Iowa; Jerome B., of Westford; Ellen L., Mrs Rudolph Craus. Mr. Thompson is a man who takes great interest in public schools, and has been a member of the School Board for several years. He is a Republican politically.
Tidyman, J. N.
J. N. Tidyman, dealer in lumber, grain and produce. Mayville; born in Liverpool, Eng., in 1838; came to America in 1844, and lived twenty years in Dodge Co. as a farmer; he has seen his share of pioneer life. Enlisted in the fall of 1861 in the 10th W. V. I.; was in battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Peach Tree Creek, Dallas, and fought with Sherman to Atlanta; the regiment served its time, and returned November, 1864; Mr. Tidyman was wounded at the great battle of Chickamauga; was three months in hospital, but recovered in time to do good service. Mr. Tidyman is a mason by trade; he began business in Mayville in 1876; has a steam elevator, and the only lumber-yard in town; is doing a large business, having bought 35,000 bushels of grain in September, 1879. Married Miss Elnora Corey in 1865; they have four children--Maggie, Lulu, Maud and William. Mr. Tidyman is a Republican, and has been member of the Village Board. He is a member in good standing of Vesper Lodge, A., F. & A. M., also of Mayville Lodge, I. O. O. F.
James Titus, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Waupun; was born Jan. 6, 1802, in Queen’s Co., New Brunswick; son of Jonathan and Deborah Titus; came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1853, and settled on the farm he now occupies. He was married, Sept. 7, 1853, in Boston, Mass., to Joanna, daughter of John and Joanna Sullivan, of New Brunswick; has four children--Elvira, born June 19, 1854 (now Mrs. Lewis Bunkleman, of the town of Chester); Adell, born June 16, 1863; Jessie, born Oct. 20, 1865, and James Benjamin, born Feb. 29, 1868. Mr. Titus owns seventy-three acres of land, valued at $3,300.
Anson Trifft, retired farmer, Burnett Junction; born Aug. 13, 1810, in Charlotte, Chittenden Co., Vt.; son of John Tifft, a native of Rhode Island, and Betsy Smith, a native of New Milford, Conn.; at the age of 17, Mr Tifft went to work for Ira Andrews, at Shelburne, Chittenden Co., Vt., to learn the wagon-maker’s trade; in October, 1831, went to Rhode Island, and worked at his trade in Providence and vicinity till the spring of 1834, when he returned to Vermont and followed the same business for sixteen years at Ferrisburg, Addison Co. Was married, Feb. 3, 1850, in South Canton, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., to Ann Smith, who was born in Salisbury, Vt., daughter of Richard and Jemima Smith, natives of New Jersey; came to Wisconsin in May of the same year, 1850, and in the fall settled in Chester, Dodge Co. Mrs. Tifft died in Chester Dec. 8, 1868. Oct. 30, 1871, was married to Phoebe Tucker, who was born in Litchfield, N. Y., July 10, 1811, and a sister of his first wife. In the spring, sold his farm in Chester (110 acres) for $4,040, and removed to Burnett Junction, where he still resides; has had three children--Alice (born Nov. 1, 1850, died Nov. 3, 1877), William F. (born Oct. 30, 1854, now attending medical lectures at the Vermont University, in Burlington) and Charles B. (born March 15, 1856, now in the hardware business in Ahnapee, Wis., firm of Tifft & Hay).
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2012 by Clare Guse.