|Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy|
|WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett|
Biographical sketches from the book
"History of Dodge County Wisconsin 1880"
This book was originally published in 1880 by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, and was reprinted in 1985 by the Affiliated Historical Societies of Dodge County, Wisconsin. Here is an excerpt from the book jacket: "The Dodge County section covers industries, schools, churches, towns, local and county governments, and the people who made it all happen. There is also a history and biographical section by townships. The biographical section includes some of the more prominent people of that time, but not everyone."
Many thanks are due to Kathy Smith for her help in typing up these biographical sketches
F. Uebel, farmer, Sec. 10; P. O. Minnesota Junction; born in Germany April 1, 1819; came to America in 1850, and to Oak Grove in 1851, and settled on eighty acres, and through his industry and steady perseverance has now a fine farm of 120 acres under good cultivation; came here with only 50 cents in his pocket; has now a fine brick residence and good, general stock, and everything pertaining to a first-class farm. Married, in the fall of 1854, Eliza Walter; have had three children--Charley J. (born July 21, 1855), Ernest (born in 1856), Maretz (a child at home). Mr. Uebel gave his aid and support to the war. He was educated and brought up in the Presbyterian Church in the old country.
Frederick Ulrich, farmer, Secs. 3, 9 and 10; P. O. Horicon; born in Prussia Feb 16, 1829; was educated in his fatherland, and also learning the carpenter and joiner’s trade; came to America and Dodge Co. in 1856; worked two years at his trade, then settled on forty acres of his present farm; it was then a dense forest, but he built a log house, cleared his land, added to his farm and made a home; as a result of long years of toil, he now has a well-improved farm of 190 acres with the best of buildings. Married Miss Bertha Dowe in 1858; they have six children — Otto F., Alvina A., Bertha A., Gustav H., Frederick W. and Mary A. Mr. Ulrich is a Democrat.
Underwood, Edwin F.
Edwin F. Underwood, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Hustisford; born in Herkimer Co., N. Y., March 23, 1828; spent most of his early life, and was educated in Oneida Co., N. Y. June 3, 1847 he married Miss Permelia Van Slyke, in Madison Co., N. Y.; the family settled in Hustisford in November, 1853, on an unimproved farm in Sec. 17; they were almost penniless, and met and surmounted many privations; in five years, he made a farm and home of what was then a wild tract of brush and scrub-oaks; settled on his present farm of ninety-four and one-half acres, in 1859; this was also in a wild state, and his pioneer work of clearing and improving was renewed; as a result of this he has a well improved farm with excellent buildings and a pleasant home; Mr. and Mrs. Underwood have five children--Annie, Mary, Eugene, Nellie and Elmer; Annie, now Mrs. W. T. Gibbs, resides in Hustisford; Mary, now Mrs. G. H. Roby, is a resident of York Co., Neb., where Eugene is also married and settled. Mr. Underwood is a Republican, and has been Treasurer of his Democratic Township. In October, 1864, he enlisted in the 1st Wis. Heavy Artillery; did garrison duty at Ft. Ellsworth, Virginia, and after lying sick for several weeks, was honorably discharged from Anger Hospital July 8, 1865; he is now drawing a Government pension.
FRED M. VAN BERGEN, general store, Beaver Dam; was born in Madison, Wis., Dec. 15, 1850, where he received his early education; after which he engaged as clerk at different times with the following firms of that place: R. L. Garlick, crockery; Huntley & Wooten, groceries, and M. L. Daggett & Son, groceries; then kept books for the Madison Democrat; he then went to Clayton, Wis., and kept books for Humbird, Rogers & Co., millers, lumbermen and general store; in March, 1877, he came to Beaver Dam and engaged in business with Mr. Lawrence in the grocery department, under the firm name of A. P. Lawrence & Co., and, in September of the same year, Mr. Rees Evans bought Mr. Lawrence's interest, and the business was conducted up to the present writing under the firm name of Evans & Van Bergen; their store is situated on Front street, corner of Center, where they are meeting with pleasing and profitable success. Mr. Van Bergen married, July 20, 1876, Annie Evans, of Beaver Dam; he has one child—Morgan E.
A. Vesper, farmer and stock man; Sec. 5; P. O. Rolling Prairie; born in Windsor Co., Vt., January, 1834; son of George W. Vesper, old England stock; he died in 1858, at the age of 60; family came to Oak Grove in 1853, and settled on Rolling Prairie. A. Vesper started for himself in 1853; hired out for $10 per month; then worked in Pine River till about 1857; then went to Barton, Mo., and ran a steam saw-mill; he carried a “buck-saw” for awhile, and earned 18 cents per day sawing wood; after his father’s death, came to Oak Grove, and engaged in farming with his brother for one year; then bought twenty acres for $50 per acre, the first time such a price had been paid for land in the neighborhood; afterward, had about one hundred acres; Mr. Vesper has been engaged in stock-dealing for many years; ships from fifty to one hundred and seventy-five cars per year; through his industry and good business management, has now a competency and a fine home and residence in Rolling Prairie. Married Sarah A. Caldwell, daughter of Samuel Caldwell, of Oneida Co., N. Y. Children are, Minnie, born Aug. 17, 1857 (married Albert Cady, and are living in Oak Grove; they ave one child, Hattie, born March 27, 1878); Arthur E., born Jan. 17, 1861 (he is in Minnesota); Charles R., born March 11, 1864; Harry, born Sept. 7, 1867 (just come from Minnesota with a car-load of hogs; he is only 12 years old). Mr. Vesper is a public-spirited man, and has been on Board of Supervisors and Assessor.
AUGUSTUS VOORHEES, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Minnesota Junction; born Feb. 16, 1827, in Ovid, Seneca Co., N. Y.; came to Wisconsin in May, 1845, with his parents, Tunis and Sarah Voorhees, who settled on the farm he now owns in Burnett, which consists of eighty acres, worth about $5,000. Was married, March 4, 1868, to Emily L. Falsom, who was born Jan. 25, 1839, in Montreal, Canada, daughter of Enos and Laura Falsom, natives of Vermont. In 1856, Mr. Voorhees went to Kansas, leaving Milwaukee in September with a company organized by Prof. Daniels, to take part in the "Border Ruffian War," which, however, subsided before he had an opportunity to see actual service; he remained in Kansas till the summer of 1858, when he went to Pike's Peak with the first party who visited that place, prospecting for gold; the same summer, he went to New Mexico, prospecting on the Rio Grande, but returned to Kansas in November of the same year. July 16, 1861, he enlisted in the 5th Kan. V. C., Co. A, Captain Ritchie; was with his regiment three years and one month, participating in eleven battles and coming out without a scratch; returned to Wisconsin in the spring of 1866. Has six children--John G., born April 9, 1861; Mary, born Aug. 11, 1870; Laura A., born Jan. 25, 1872; Charles A., born Nov. 9, 1873; Gertie E., born Aug. 14, 1876, and Fannie E., born Dec. 6, 1879.
WILLIAM E. WADLEIGH, farmer; P. O. Beaver Dam; was born in Lower Canada in 1830; spent his early life with his father, Mathias Wadleigh, on a farm in his native county; in 1847, he went to Manchester, N. H., where he followed the machinist's trade for two years; after which, in the same place, he followed various kinds of labor for seven years; in 1856, with his family, he emigrated to Dodge Co., Wis., and settled in Beaver Dam; three years after, he removed to the town of Trenton, Dodge Co., and lived there on a farm for seven years; in 1866, he returned to Beaver Dam and bought a farm of ninety acres in Sec. 12, within the city limits, and has since made this his home. Sept. 20, 1852, he married Miss Sophia, daughter of Hiram and Sarah Stevens, of Chatham, N. H.; they have had seven children—Emily, Celestia (deceased), William (deceased), Albert, William, Jr., John and Lillie. The family is connected with the Assembly Presbyterian Church.
WILLIAM WALKER, farmer, Secs. 22 and 27; P. O. Alderly; born in Yorkshire, England, Nov. 25, 1805; came to Wisconsin April 1, 1844, locating at Ashippun, where he purchased 120 acres of his present homestead; he is also the owner of 120 acres in Pierce Co., on which there is a natural spring, which gives an unceasing supply of water. Married, in 1830, Miss Mary Forx, a native of Yorkshire, England, who died at Ashippun April 25, 1866; had four children--Susan, born July 17, 1835; John, born Sept. 12, 1837; Seth, born Nov. 10, 1839; William, died at an early age. Mr. Walker is one of the early pioneers of this county; he never held any office, having no time to spare from the duties of his farm; he has just completed a fine residence; having retired from active life, his son John now has charge of the farm, raising both stock and grain with much success. Independent in politics.
George Warren, lumber merchant, Sec. 21; P. O. Fox Lake; born in Saratoga Co., N. Y., July 15, 1824; son of Elem Warren, who was originally from Connecticut; George, while young, was bound to his uncle, Judge Stone; afterward went to Vermont selling stoves, and in 1849 came to Trenton, Dodge Co., Wis., and settled on 160 acres; Mr. Warren engaged in the lumber business in Monroe Co., in 1858, and has been extensively employed in that traffic ever since; through his shrewed management and untiring industry he has accumulated a competence; he owns 1,000 acres of standing pine; in 1875, he met with a severe loss, in the burning of his mills, but has started again with fresh vigor, and last year turned out 6,000,000 feet of timber; supplies the C. & N.-W. R. R., and also sends lumber largely to Milwaukee and Chicago; in 1868, built one of the finest residences in the county, situated about three miles east of Fox Lake; is built upon an elevation, from which can be had a beautiful view of the surrounding country; the house cost $15,000, and frescoing $1,500, and great taste has been displayed in furnishing it. Mr. Warren married, April, 1849, Mary E. West, daughter of Abraham B. West, who was born in New Lisbon, N. Y.; his mother was of Holland, and his father of English stock; Abraham married Minerva Fay; she was of Scotch descent; Abraham West was a tanner and currier by trade; he died Feb. 4, 1874, in Trenton, and his wife died in 1827; they had eight children--Cynthia E., died, 1850; Henry L., is in the jewelry business in Amsterdam, N. Y.; Thaddeus St. John, died in 1859; Rowena A., Mary E., Pamelia C.; Minerva J., married, in 1850, Israel Baker, of Greenfield, Saratoga Co., N. Y.; (she died March 15, 1877; she was a superior woman, and was beloved by all; Mrs. Warren adopted three of her children--Marietta, Minnie L. and Ruth N.; Harriet M. married Isaac Frenison and lives at Warren Mills); Mrs. Warren has had five children--Frank G., born Aug. 3, 1851, is in the lumber business with his father; Henry L. born September, 1854, died in infancy; Fred C. born Oct. 26, 1856, living in Minnesota; Walter E., born March 8, 1859, also in Minnesota; Lillian E., born Aug. 27, 1872, died in infancy; Mrs. Warren has also three other adopted daughters--Emma W. Jackson, adopted when she was 7 years old; Jennie Platz, born in 1859, in Chicago; Addie L. Benight, born in 1864. Mrs. Warren is a woman of grand benevolent instincts, and is known throughout the State as a successful and earnest worker in the great cause of temperance; was for years, Grand Worthy Vice of the Good Templars of this State, and is now P. G. V. T. of I. O. G. T.; is also a member of the Christian Women's U. T. A., and Deputy and P. G. V. of Sons of Temperance; in 1878, traveled 4,454 miles, 568 by wagon and sleigh, and held 49 public meetings; drove her own team two-thirds of that distance; has written 249 letters in the interest of the order; all this work she accomlished, not neglecting her own home cares or large family; she has written several books devoted to the cause of Temperance. Mr. Warren owns, in West Chicago, two fine residences, with all modern improvements. He and his family are members of the Baptist Church.
G. J. WARREN, harness-maker; was born in Genesee Co., N. Y., Nov. 19, 1819, and came to Wisconsin May 12, 1846, locating in Burnett; his business career commenced in Castile, Wyoming Co., N. Y., where he carried on the harness business for two years, after which he moved to Burnett where, for nineteen years, he was engaged in farming 140 acres of land; in 1865, he came to Beaver Dam and bought 107 acres of land in Trenton, which he farmed for ten years; he then bought out the harness business of John Clark and has continued in that business up to the present writing. Mr. Warren was Justice of the Peace of Waupun for two years; in 1879, he was elected Alderman for the Fourth Ward. He married, Sept. 22, 1842, Lorinda M. Fuller, of Warsaw, N. Y.; he has one child living—Frank.
GEORGE W. WARREN, farmer; Sec. 28; P. O. Juneau; born in Otsego Co., N. Y., June 13, 1831; son of John Warren, who was a descendant of the old Warren family of Massachusetts; John Warren was in the war of 1812; he died in March, 1860, at the age of 77. Family came to Oak Grove in the fall of 1844; settled on eighty acres, and built a log house; Winnebago Indians outnumbered the whites; fences and roads were scarce; Mr. Warren now has a fine residence and farm of 120 acres, and, through his industry and frugality, has accumulated a competency. Married, February, 1867, Hattie C. Loomis, daughter of J. B. Loomis, of New York; have had three children—one died in infancy; Arthur John, born April 24, 1870, a very promising and much beloved boy, died in Janesville, Wis., of scarlet fever, Nov. 26, 1876, aged 6 years and 8 months. Their only living child is Anna Mabel, a pretty black-eyed miss, born May 22, 1874. Mr. Warren and wife are members of the Episcopal Church.
Weatherby, John C.
John C. Weatherby, farmer, Sec. 25; P. O. Clyman; born in County Durham, England, Feb. 18, 1818; received an academic education, taught two years, and left a position as teacher of mathematics on coming to America in 1842. Locating in Utica, N. Y., he married Miss Ann Jarman June 3, 1842; the young couple settled on forty acres of Government land in Waukesha Co., Wis.; July 1842, Mr. Weatherby began the study of law with ex-Gov. Randall, in Waukesha, and was intimate with the prominent men of the county in that day; having owned two farms in that county, he bought his present farm of 160 acres of Uncle Sam in 1845; made his own road to this farm, the family spending the first night in a rude pole shed covered with marsh grass; building a log house, he began pioneer life, and now has an improved farm and good home; Mr. W. has taught more than twenty terms of school in the county, holding the office of Town Superintendent many years; has been Justice of the Peace about thirty years; Supervisor and Chairman of Clyman, and was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature in 1867; was admitted to the bar in November, 1872, and has since practiced in the County and Circuit Court. Is Independent in politics, and in accord with the Wesleyan Church. Mr. and Mrs. Weatherby have eleven children--J. G., M. P., W. E., R. R., Elizabeth, Mary, Ella, T. D., Margaret, Charles and Albert.
O. F. WEAVER, photographer; was born in Cambria, Hillsdale Co., Mich., Feb. 5, 1840, and came to Wisconsin May 8, 1879, locating at Beaver Dam; Mr. Weaver learned his trade with Mr. E. L. Brand, the celebrated photographer of Chicago; in 1867, he commenced business on his own account at 337 W. Madison street, and continued until 1879, when he moved to Beaver Dam where he has the finest photographic parlors, and is said to e the best artist, in the county. He enlisted in 1861 in Co. E, 4th MIch. V. I., Col. Dwight A. Woodbury, and has been in the following battles; First Bull Run, Second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Gettysburg, the seven days' battles in Virginia, Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg; he was wounded slightly in the head at the battle of Fredericksburg; he received his discharge Oct. 27, 1863. Mr. Weaver married, Feb. 28, 1867, Annie Ryan of Ireland; he has two children—Ray and Eddie. Mrs. Weaver is a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church at Beaver Dam.
EDWARD WEBSTER, farmer, Secs. 27, 30 and 32; P. O. Alderly; born in Leeds, England, in 1834; came to Wisconsin in 1834, locating at Ashippun, where his father purchased eighty acres on Secs. 27 and 32; in 1856, he purchased the above farm from his father, making it his present homestead; he also purchased twenty acres on Sec. 30; Mr. Webster has been very successful in raising grain; he is also engaged in the manufacture of butter. Married, in 1855, Miss Emelia Leslie, a native of Scotland; they have had nine children, six living; he has been Town Treasurer one year; Supervisor one year, member of School Board six years. Democrat in politics.
James Webster, proprietor of Elba Center Stock Farm and stock-raiser, Sec. 16; P. O. Danville; was born in Oneida Co., N. Y., May 1, 1814, where he lived until he was 20 years of age, when he went to Hartford, Conn., where he lived four years, and learned the trade of brickmaking, which business he followed for about sixteen years; he returned to Oneida Co. and engaged in the manufacture of brick; also kept hotel near Rome for about two years. He was married, in 1837, to Maria Peetman, born in Montgomery Co.; they came to Oakland, Jefferson Co., Wis., in November, 1843. In 1845, Mr. Webster purchased a farm of ninety-six acres in Lowell Township, also forty acres in Elba Township, Dodge Co., and located on the forty acres in the fall of that year; he purchased his present farm in the spring of 1851, where he located in the fall of that year; his farm contains over four hundred acres. Mr. Webster is numbered among those early settlers of Dodge Co. who began life poor, but by hard work, economy and good management, have secured an independence. He deals quite extensively in thoroughbred stock, making a specialty of Spanish Merino sheep and short-horn cattle. Has had seven children, three of whom are living--Jennie (now Mrs. A. M. Watson, of La Crosse, Samuel R. (married Miss Hattie Chamberlain, of Kilbourn City) and John P.; has lost four sons--Henry, Spencer and Chester H.; another died in infancy. Mr. Webster was President of the Elba Farmers' Insurance Company for three years; is now President of Columbus Union Agricultural Society. He is a Republican in politics; he and wife are members of the Congregational Church.
Charles Weston, farmer, Sec. 28; P. O. Burnett; born Nov. 28, 1819, in Lower Canada (now called the Province of Quebec); son of John and Jane Weston, natives of New England; first came to Wisconsin in July, 1846, and located in Burnett, Dodge Co., on the land he now owns; in the summer of 1850, he returned to Canada, and married Jane Gilman, who came to Wisconsin, and died in Burnett Oct. 29, 1857; June 3, 1861, he married Jane Amelia Doak, who was born May 1, 1839, daughter of James Doak, Esq., of the Province of Canada; has seven children living--Mary, born May 27, 1852; John, April 9, 1862; Marion, July 14, 1865; George, June 19, 1869; Jane Eliza, Oct. 30, 1872; Alfred Doak, Oct. 18, 1875, and William Snow, Oct. 9, 1879; Charles James, born Sept. 23, 1867, died Sept. 19, 1868. Mr. Weston has held the office of Superintendent of Schools, Chairman of Board of Supervisors and Town Clerk, and in politics is Republican. His farm comprises 420 acres of land , which he values at $22,000. Mr. and Mrs. Weston are both members of the Episcopal Church.
E. B. WIGGERT, harness-maker, Beaver Dam; was born in Germany Nov. 5, 1844, and came to Wisconsin in November, 1865, locating in La Crosse; he received his early education in Germany, and served his apprenticeship with Otto Ohler, of La Crosse; in the spring of 1869, he came to Beaver Dam, and worked as journeyman with Mr. John Clark; afterward at Rio, a short time, and returned to Beaver Dam, and again worked for Mr. Clark; in 1870, he started the harness business on his own account, and has continued the same up to the present writing. He was married, Jan. 2, 1874, to Miss Annie Weimer, of Westford, Dodge Co., Wis.; he has two children living—Cecelia and Paulina. Mr. and Mrs. Wiggert are members of the Catholic Church.
ANDREW WILLARD, retired, Beaver Dam; born in Buffalo, N. Y., June 23, 1825; came to Wisconsin, May, 1841, and located at Waterford, Racine Co.; in 1847, moved to Watertown; engaged in the manufacture of brick, and made the first white brick made at that place; in 1855, came to Beaver Dam, carried on same business for three to four years; in 1859, with Mr. Newton, opened a mercantile business which he continued until 1865, when, after first buying out his associate, he sold out and purchased two farms; in the fall of 1865 was elected to the State Legislature; in 1866, he built a store building and, with Mr. Vandercook in 1867, opened a general mercantile establishment, which continued until 1871; has been County Commissioner; was member of City Council six or seven years; he is member of the I. O. O. F., also of Grand Lodge, and has been one of the Directors of the Odd Fellows Insurance Company for eight years, Vice President, four years; is one of the Directors of the Red Ribbon Club, and is a member of the Good Templars. Married at Watertown, Wis., Nov. 23, 1850, Miss Jane M. Temple, a native of Massachusetts; has a family of three children—David, Rosa M., and Jennie.
Williams, Edward J.
EDWARD J. WILLIAMS, farmer, Sec. 14; P. O. Danville; was born in Rome, Oneida Co., N. Y., Aug. 15, 1819. His father, John W. Williams, was also a native of Oneida Co., his grandfather, John Williams, a soldier of the Revolutionary war, and two brothers--Solomon and David Williams, having settled there in about 1780; his father removed to St. Lawrence Co., thence to Ohio, thence to Michigan, where he died Aug. 13, 1847; Mr. Williams came to Dodge Co. from Cleveland, Ohio, May 1, 1846, and entered eighty acres of the farm where he now resides; in early life, he was engaged in the woolen manufacturing business; he dates his farming experience from the time he settled on his present farm; he came to the county poor; when he had paid the entrance fee of his first eighty acres of land, he had but 50 cents remaining; his farm now contains 184 acres; his improvements are among the very best in the township. He has held various offices during his long residence in the county; was elected to the Legislature in the fall of 1857; was Highway Commissioner for 1848; Town Clerk about 1849; was Justice of the Peace for ten years; Assessor of the Township for five years; was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for the years 1845, 1846 and 1847; has been Secretary of the Elba Mutual Insurance Company for the past three years. He was married in 1843 to Lucia P. Howe, who was born in Vermont; she died Aug. 5, 1847; his present wife was Mrs. Mary J. Ensign, formerly Miss Johnson, born in Hamilton Co., Ohio; Mr. Williams has three children by his former marriage--John W., E. E. and Helen M. Mrs. Williams has one daughter by her former marriage--Mrs. Arabella Ensign Pease.
JOHN J. WILLIAMS, was born in the town of Nelson, Madison Co., N. Y., July 28, 1820, and in 1837 removed with his parents, to Brunswick, Medina Co., Ohio, where he remained at home on a farm until 21 years of age; on attaining his majority he commenced life on his own account, with no capital except energy, honesty and industry; he hired out to work in a woolen mill at $8 per month, following that business for three years; then engaged in traveling through Ohio and Michigan with a wholesale Yankee notion wagon, and afterward clerk in a general store for North & Alcott, Medina, Ohio; in 1849, he came to Wisconsin and opened a general store at Lowell, Dodge Co., and continued in that business for fifteen years. In 1846, Mr. Williams married Miss Adaline Weed at Medina; she was born in New York City; two of her sisters married Wisconsin men—one, Dr. Miller, of Lowell, Dodge Co., the other, the late Geo. B. Smith, of Madison; during his residence at Lowell, Mr. Williams was Postmaster several years; was a member of the Legislature in the years 1857 and 1861; in the spring of 1864, he removed to the city of Beaver Dam, where he has since resided; he was Collector of Internal Revenue for the Fourth District of Wisconsin from 1867 to 1872, and was President of the National Bank of Beaver Dam from 1865, which position he now holds. Mr. Williams is now 59 years of age and is not engaged in active business except to increase the affairs of the bank and take care of his ample fortune. He has a pleasant and attractive home in Beaver Dam and, with his estimable wife, is reaping the fruits of an honest, industrious and useful life, enjoying the respect and confidence of his neighbors.
REV. NATHAN E. WOOD, Principal of the Wayland Institute, Beaver Dam; was born in Forestville, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., June 6, 1849, and came to Wisconsin in 1853, locating at Wyocena; he removed to Wyocena from Forestville and assisted his father on the farm until the fall of 1866, when he went to the Wayland Institute to prepare for college; from there he went to the Chicago University, graduating in 1872, and then to the Baptist Union Theological Seminary, of Chicago, graduating in 1875; he then became Pastor of the Centennial Baptist Church, of Chicago, which he organized, and through whose instrumentality this church was built, and succeeded in two years in enlarging its membership to over two hundred persons, and its Sunday school to about four hundred and fifty pupils; he then went to Beaver Dam in June, 1877, and took charge of the Wayland Institute as Principal, which position he now holds. Mr. Wood married, June 27, 1873, Alice R. Boyce, of Chicago; he has three children living—Nathan R., Reuben S. and Sarah G. Mr. and Mrs. Wood are members of the Baptist Church at Beaver Dam.
Wright, F. A.
F. A. WRIGHT, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. Waterloo, Jefferson Co.; born in the town of Bethany, Genesee Co., N. Y., in 1837; he went to Michigan in the fall of 1855, and came to Dodge Co. in the fall of 1856. He was married to Mrs. Chloe A. Knowlton, formerly Miss Brookins, born in Genessee Co., N. Y., in 1835; she came to the town of Portland with her parents in 1849; she was married, in 1851, to Mr. Daniel Knowlton, who entered the farm where the family now reside, in 1844; he died in 1875. Mrs. Wright has ten children by her former marriage--Mary J., F. Adel, Alice S., Adda P., Azor, Elizabeth, Thaddeus, Maud, Edith and Fannie. Farm contains 160 acres.
Listing by township
The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.Copyright 1998 - 2012 by Clare Guse.