Histories:
The Lion Cafeteria
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin


last modified:
Sunday, 08-Sep-2002 06:40:11 MDT



Thank you to
David R. Weller,
grandson of Raymond Hau, for sharing the history of his family and the Lion Cafeteria, and the generous donation of these photos and clippings to the Fond du Lac website.






Exterior


Main Dining Room



Booth Area


Soda Fountain


Main Dining
After 1940's Remodel


Front Postcard


Back of Postcard


Mr. Peke, Angie (hostess) and John Hau (holding cigar)


news clipping


Raymond Hau family
daughter Joyce, wife Florence, Raymond, and daughter Carol
Carol and Joyce worked in restaurant while in high school.


Clarence, daughter Merrie, wife Millie


Raymond and Florence Hau, April 2001


Lion Family Restaurant, 1995



Click on photos for close-up view

The Lion Cafeteria was founded in 1919 by John Hau. It was originally located at 105 S. Main Street, but it's popularity soon dictated that a larger facility was needed.

When the (then) First Commercial Bank of Fond du Lac built a new facility, Hau purchased their former building and the cafeteria relocated to it's present site in 1923.

The Fond du Lac Daily Reporter, Tuesday, October 2, 1923

SALE CONCLUDED TODAY; $65,000 PRICE INVOLVED
New Owners Will Start Remodeling of Structure at Once, Announcement
EXPANSION URGES DEAL

The most important transaction in Main street business realty which has been consummated in months was concluded this morning with the announcement of the sale of the former Commercial National bank building at First and Main streets to John Hau and Edward Halverson, proprietors of the H. and H. Cafeteria, 105 South Main street.
Sale of the property, which involved a consideration of $65,000 was announced by Messrs. Hau and Halverson and by President H. R. Potter of the Commercial National bank at the conclusion of negotiations this morning. The sale of the building had been the subject of a number of discussions between the parties and the final arrangements were made shortly before noon today.
Possession of the building will be taken by the new owners immediately, they announced following the conclusion of the sale formalities, and the work of remodeling the place into a fine cafeteria will be undertaken at once.
The new quarters will give the cafeteria owners more than twice as much space as they have in their present location, a feature that is highly satisfactory to the new owners, as they have been in need of enlarged quarters for many months. Increasing business has severely taxed their facilities.
The former bank building, constructed of red sandstone in a highly artistic design, affords interior accommodations 44 by 105 feet. Of this space, a portion 44 by 70 feet will be available after remodeling for the dining room, while the remainder of the ground floor will be arranged for the kitchen and similar quarter.
The cafeteria will use the entire lower floor, wile the second floor of the building, which is now occupied by offices, will continue to be used for this purpose by the new owners.
Considerable labor and expense will be involved in refitting and redecorating room, while the remainder of the cafeteria's purposes, and this work will be started at once. Decorations and appointments will be of the most attractive sort. As some time will be required for this work the new owners this morning hesitated at fixing any date on which the building will be opened to their patrons.
Messrs. Hau and Halverson also made no statement as to the disposition that will be made of their present quarters when the cafeteria is moved to the new location. It is understood that they hold a long-term lease on this building and that arrangements will be made for its occupancy, but no announcement on this matter will be forthcoming for some time.
This conclusion of the negotiations for the transfer of the former bank property is of considerable interest in the city's business circles, as the ultimate disposition of this structure has been a matter of speculation since the Commercial National bank moved to its new seven story building across the corner.
The most important transaction in Main street business realty which has been consummated in months was concluded this morning with the announcement of the sale of the former Commercial National bank building at First and Main streets to John Hau and Edward Halverson, proprietors of the H. and H. Cafeteria, 105 South Main street.
Sale of the property, which involved a consideration of $65,000 was announced by Messrs. Hau and Halverson and by President H. R. Potter of the Commercial National bank at the conclusion of negotiations this morning. The sale of the building had been the subject of a number of discussions between the parties and the final arrangements were made shortly before noon today.
Possession of the building will be taken by the new owners immediately, they announced following the conclusion of the sale formalities, and the work of remodeling the place into a fine cafeteria will be undertaken at once.
The new quarters will give the cafeteria owners more than twice as much space as they have in their present location, a feature that is highly satisfactory to the new owners, as they have been in need of enlarged quarters for many months. Increasing business has severely taxed their facilities.
The former bank building, constructed of red sandstone in a highly artistic design, affords interior accommodations 44 by 105 feet. Of this space, a portion 44 by 70 feet will be available after remodeling for the dining room, while the remainder of the ground floor will be arranged for the kitchen and similar quarter.
The cafeteria will use the entire lower floor, wile the second floor of the building, which is now occupied by offices, will continue to be used for this purpose by the new owners.
Considerable labor and expense will be involved in refitting and redecorating room, while the remainder of the cafeteria's purposes, and this work will be started at once. Decorations and appointments will be of the most attractive sort. As some time will be required for this work the new owners this morning hesitated at fixing any date on which the building will be opened to their patrons.
Messrs. Hau and Halverson also made no statement as to the disposition that will be made of their present quarters when the cafeteria is moved to the new location. It is understood that they hold a long-term lease on this building and that arrangements will be made for its occupancy, but no announcement on this matter will be forthcoming for some time.
This conclusion of the negotiations for the transfer of the former bank property is of considerable interest in the city's business circles, as the ultimate disposition of this structure has been a matter of speculation since the Commercial National bank moved to its new seven story building across the corner.

In it's first year of operation, the cafeteria employed seven people.

The Hau family owned and operated the cafeteria, beginning with John Hau, founder, and continuing with Clarence and Raymond Hau, his sons.

The Hau's finally sold their restaurant in the 1960's, and it was re-established in the 1990's as the Lion Family Restaurant under different ownership.