Cemeteries
St. Martin's Cemetery
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin

Alphabetical Catalog of the Cemetery

St. Martin's Cemetery is located in the Township of Ashford, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin. 

Sometime in the late 1800's, the parish of St. Martins decided to expand their church building, and include a larger sanctuary.  Unfortunately, the church cemetery had burials up against the existing church, and this posed a problem.  Families were contacted, and bodies were exhumed for reburial.   Some families did not have the financial means to pay for exhumation and reburial, and those graves were left in place.  The church addition was built over their graves.    

Only one burial has been found so far, to be under the church edition.
William Hegner, town of Ashford farmer, was killed in 1865, only 7 days after the birth of his seventh child.  His widow did not have the means to have William reburied (she herself died in 1872).   He remains buried underneath the boys sacristy.


 
last modified:
Saturday, 13-Dec-2003 19:15:05 MST
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]