ANSON BENNETT, Sections 1, 12, 2, etc.; P. O. Platteville; was born in Franklin Co., Vt., in 1812. He resided in the Green Mountain State until the fall of 1836, when he came to Platteville, coming by the way of the Erie and Ohio Canals, Ohio River and the Mississippi to Galena, thence on the 1st of November, to Platteville. Here he hired out to the veteran pioneer, Maj. J. H. Rountree, and continued in his employ five and a half years. He then bought 80 acres of the Major, and began making improvements upon it. In April, 1850, he married Elvira Jones, born in Oswego Co., N. Y., in 1812; she came West in 1847. Mr. Bennett is a leading member of the Free Methodist Church of Platteville. He now owns 381 acres, a fit reward for the thirty-seven years of toil expended upon the soil of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett have six children - Martha E. (Mrs. W. Davis), Susan E., Charles Lyman, Nelson J., Orrin J. and Annie May. Charles L. married Mary E. Aikins, of Platteville.
This biography generously submitted by Roxanne Munns.