From History of Grant County, Wisconsin, 1881, p. 918.

PLATTEVILLE

HANMER ROBBINS, farmer; was born in the town of Deerfield, Oneida Co., N. Y., Dec. 11, 1815. In addition to a common-school education, he attended Hobert Hall Institute, alternating his attending school falls with working on farm summers and teaching winters, during 1834, 1835 and 1836. In May, 1837, he came to Platteville, Wis., and, in June, was teaching the village school, which school he continued to teach for the following two years; then followed mining for about eight years; then, meanwhile, having bought a farm near the village, he engaged in farming, which occupation he still follows; he went to California in 1850, and returned in 1852. He was married June 1, 1847, to Miss A. L. Goodell, of Clinton, Oneida Co., N. Y. They have had seven children, four of whom are still living - Fanny, now Mrs. Gray, of Madison; Thomas, Roderick and George. Mr. R. was Town Superintendent of Schools, from 1854 to 1860; was elected to the State Legislature for the years 1857, 1858, 1861, 1864, 1866, 1867, and 1868, and was Chairman of the Committee on Education during four of the seven years. He was Chairman of that Committee in 1858, when the State University of Wisconsin was re-organized and women admitted to the University. He was a member of the State Board of Regents for Normal Schools ten years, and was mainly instrumental in securing the law establishing several Normal schools instead of only one, as well as in securing the location of the first State Normal School at Platteville. He was President of the D., P. & M. R. R., from its first inception until it was bought by the C., M. & St. P. R. R., in 1880; also General Manager during its construction.

 


This biography generously submitted by Roxanne Munns.