Genealogy in General
Heritage Quest Online Census Search Tutorial
I wrote this specifically for Grant County research but strategies can be used for any location. Requires Adobe Reader. Free download
Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet----Recommended!
Yahoo's Genealogy Sites
Census Information----Whether you're a beginner or an "old hand," this article may hold helpful information for you. I can't tell you how many years I'd been researching before I learned the "secret" to the 1880 soundex.
Census Lookups----Volunteers will do census lookups in sources they own.
What Happened to the 1890 Census?
The 1930 U.S. Federal Census was released 1 April 2002. Here's what you need to know about it!
USGenWeb Census Project Completed Transcriptions----Searchable
Steve Morse's Census Tools This is a great resource I discovered for searching large cities in the 1920 and 1930 censuses. Various tools to help you determine the ED for your ancestor if you know what their address was at the time. Read Steve's search strategies at the bottom of the page.
U.S. Regional Genealogy
Karen Isaacson's Wisconsin Resources
Wisconsin Civil War Regiments
Information about the various units, not a listing of combatants.
Wisconsin Land Records----Searchable by name
Public Land Survey System Tutorial
A very good explanation (with diagrams) of the U.S. survey system, a grid based on township, range and section numbers. Presented by the Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
Wisconsin Delayed Birth Registrations Prior to 1907----Searchable
Wisconsin Historical Society
Jim Harrington's Guide to Courthouse Research
Karen Isaacson's Illinois Resources
Illinois Civil War Page
Database of Illinois Civil War Veterans----Searchable
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index 1763-1900
Karen Isaacson's Iowa Resources
Iowa in the Civil War
1840 Special Miner's Census
Scroll down to this section and start with the introduction for an explanation of this special census taken for Jo Daviess County, Illinois; Grant County, Iowa County, and Crawford County, Wisconsin.
Grant County's Neighbors
Crawford County, WI (WIGenWeb)
Crawford County, WI (Wisconsin AHGP)
Iowa County, WI
Lafayette County, WI (WIGenWeb)
Lafayette County, WI (Wisconsin AHGP)
Richland County, WI (Wisconsin AHGP)
Clayton County, IA
Dubuque County, IA (WIGenWeb)
Dubuque County, IA (Iowa AHGP)
Jo Daviess County, IL
Grant County Archives/Links
More Grant County Biographies
User-donated data Various bits of data submitted by Grant County researchers.
Grant County Births through 1891 A-B
Grant County Births through 1891 C-E
Grant County Births through 1891 F-H
Grant County Births through 1891 I-L
Grant County Births through 1891 M-O
Grant County Births through 1891 P-R
Grant County Births through 1891 S-T
Grant County Births through 1891 U-Z
History of Grant County (1881)--Index to Biographies
1880 Mortality Schedules--Grant County
Pensioners on the Roll, 1853
Potosi Township Historical Society
Township Listings for 1870 Grant Co. Wisconsin Census--submitted by Bill Smith
Virtual Cemetery--tombstone pictures at selected Grant County cemeteries (check back often for new postings)
1996 Grant County Deaths (as reported by Tri-County Press) --submitted by Robin Hoff Kaspar
Extract of Meyer and related surnames from Boscobel Dial--submitted by Anne Gwaltney.
"Back in 1980, as part of my research into the Gustav Meyer family of Boscobel, I read the microfilm edition of the Boscobel Dial and Dial-Enterprise newspapers from the late 1860s through the early 1930s; and abstracted all the articles that I found concerning them. As my knowledge of the family grew, I expanded my abstracting to cover all of the other families closely connected to them, and also collected information from a few other areas of Wisconsin where members of the family moved. I would love to hear from any descendents.--Anne Gwaltney"
Wisconsin Vital Records
Wisconsin Dept. of Health
Includes prices and application forms to download
Grant County Vital Records Information from Beth Huffman
Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services
Valuable information to help you plan a research trip to Madison, Wisconsin.
Wisconsin Pre-1907 Birth Records Index
Indispensable to Genealogists
Information for Researchers
People Locators - U.S.
- Excite People Finder
People Locators - Other
- Canadian White Pages
- German White Pages
Place Locators - U.S
- Know the zip code? Find the corresponding placename.
- Find a place name when you don't know the county or state.
- Find the U.S. county with the locator on Rootsweb
Place Locators - Other
- GEOserv-Locate German Towns Follow the directions to submit the name of a German town and the server will send you an email with all the hits (and variant spellings) it can find in its database.
- ShtetlSeeker Central and Eastern Europe Town Search from Jewish Gen
Genealogy Mailing Lists
- John Fuller's Genealogy Resources on the Internet--there are hundreds of genealogy mailing lists, from those specific to a geographic area to individual surnames. Subscriptions are free and you can subscribe to lists directly from John's pages. You'll usually get a welcome message after you sign up, don't forget to print it out and save for future reference.
- Rootsweb's Mailing Lists--if you don't find your surname in one of John Fuller's lists, try this one.
- Steve Morse's Searchable Databases Recommended!
- Social Security Death Index When you find an individual in the index, use the place locator above to identify the zip code the SSDI gives you.
- Rootsweb Surname List----Searchable
- Roots Name Finder - Location (search format example: WI, Grant) |
How to submit to Location List FAQ
- ROOTS-L Message Archives
- U.S. Funeral Home Directory
- Obituary Daily Times Index of recent obituaries from around the world. Index format: name, age, where died, name of paper, date, contributor (write this down before going to site).
- Ellis Island Wall of Honor
- USGenWeb Archives
- WorldGenWeb Germany
- Cyndi Howell's Germany Links
- WorldGenWeb Norway
- Cyndi Howell's Norway Links
- WorldGenWeb England
- Cyndi Howell's England Links
- Translation Service
Translate words, phrases, sentences, and paragraphs from English to French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and vice versa. Will also translate foreign language webpages.
Personal Home Pages with Grant County Connections
- Andy Barnett's Home Page
- AmeriKin Genealogy Home Page
Mostly Midwest: KITTO, MCPHERSON, REED, RISTER, SHINOE, COOPER, DICKEY, FOLTS, HARVEY, HEAD, HOLMES, HORNBECK, OAKLEAF, PICKEL, POTTER, WILSON, WITAKER
- Kathie Harrison's Home Page
featuring Grant County surnames BLAKE, BLUNT, CONNELL, LORD, LYONS, PECK, PITZER
(these surnames can be found in her WorldConnect tree.)
- Cathy Herpich's Home Page
- David Keck's Home Page
featuring Grant County surnames BRINKMANN, BROOKENS, CASPERS, DOLPHIN, HURST, REED, ROSCHI, SCHALLENBERGER, TURNER
- Barbara Lewellen's Home Page
featuring Flory Fountaine TAYLOR
- Maryanne Miller's Home Page
- George William Phillips' Home Page
featuring these Grant County surnames: ANDREW, BEYER, BIDDICK, BURTON, CARDEY, CARDY, CARHART, DRESSLER, FOSBINDER, GREGORY, HUTCHCROFT, IVERSON, OLESON, RUNDELL, TUESCHER, WOMACK and WILLIAMS
- Dave Taft's Home Page
- DeLories (Robinson) Vaughn's Home Page
featuring these Grant County surnames: BOOTH, BRATTON, HILTON, HUNTINGTON, MANN, NIXON, RENDER, ROBINSON, SNOWDEN and WILKINSON
- Tammy Wild's Home Page