Search billions of records on

Village of Attica

Extracted from the "History of Green County, Wisconsin" published by Union Publishing Company, Springfield, Ill. 1884; page 727:
This small village was called Winneshiek in 1845. For a time it was also called Milford, but was soon changed back to Winneshiek. Then the post office was established and it was called Attica as there was already a town name Winneshiek in the state.
Several settlers already in the area were: Newell DUSTIN, Elijah THOMPSON, Ben CROSS, Chester WHITLER, and Lorenzo BARNES.
Later settlers were: Jeptha DAVIS, Joseph BARTLETT, S.A. Scott, Joshua CLARK, Benjamin CLEVELAND, and Oscar PERSONS.
There was also one Church society.

Back to Towns and Township page

Back to Green County GenWeb page

Webmaster: Debra Bailey Trail
Contributing editor: Donna Long Kjendlie

Copyright Feb. 2002

Last update: Jan. 2002