Monticello

Extracted from the "History of Green County, Wisconsin" published by Union Publishing Company, Springfield, Ill. 1884; page 999:
The land for this village was first entered by Robert WITTER in 1843 who was acting as agent for his brother Chester WITTER. In 1846 A. F. STEADMAN purchased the property and platted the village. Hugh McCLINTOCK purchased a half interest. Other settlers were: Jacob and Mathew MARTY, David and Sylvester HILLS, J. W. F. RANDALL.
Religions were: Methodist Episcopal and The Monticello Free Will Baptist Church Society.
The land occupied by the Monticello cemetery was donated for burial purposes by Mathias MARTY and Robert BRIDGES. On the 10th day of Jan 1852 an association was formed to take care of the cemetery. The association failed to meet according to law, and thus lost their charter. A new association was formed in 1881.





Rev. Carl Heyl circa 1907
German Reformed Church

Back to Towns and Township page

Back to Green County GenWeb page

Webmaster: Debra Bailey Trail
Contributing editor: Donna Long Kjendlie

Copyright Jan. 2002
Last update: April 2003