This town is bounded on the north by the town of Berlin, on the east by Ripon, Fond du Lac County, on the south by the town of Green Lake, and on the west by the towns of St. Marie and Princeton. The surface of the town is rolling, partially timbered with oak opening. In the eastern part is a fine tract of prairie. The town is indented by Green Lake on the south. This is the largest body of water in the county, and one of the most beautiful and attractive in the sate. It lies nearly in the center of the county, making part of the towns of Brooklyn and Green Lake.
Its banks are generally high with
conspicuous headlands, and it is surrounded by small bays. Along it shores are
some of the finest farms and residences in the county. There are several established
summer resorts in the town of which Oakwood and Sherwood Forest are perhaps
best known. Pleasant Point, Forest Home and the Root and Mill houses at Dartford
are also popular sojourning places. Dartford is the central point and trading
place, as well as the county seat.
Puckyan Creek, an outlet of Green Lake, six miles long, runs through the town, having it course northwest about four miles to the vicinity of the high grounds at Bluffton, then turning upon its course, and passing through a ravine for half a mile, until leaving this narrow valley, its general course is northwest into the town of St. Marie. Throughout its entire length it passes through a marshy strip with an average width of a mile. Marl and peat are found along its banks and marl elsewhere in the town. Near this creek peat beds have been explored to a depth of eighteen feet, without their bottom being reached.
The first settler in this town was
William H. Dakin, who located east of the lake in 1843. He took a prominent
part in aiding settlers to locate lands, and his house was a stopping place
and favorite resort of all new comers. In 1845, Anson Dart settled where now
is the village of Dartford. About a year later, J.C. and William Sherwood, Marshall,
Thurston, and several others established themselves at this point. Mr. Dart
and J.C. Sherwood built a grist mill in 1847. A sawmill was also early built
here. The more detailed history of Darford is given under a separate head.
The first birth in this town was
that of Amos Marshall, son of Giles Marshall. A Miss Eaton was the first bride.
Dearth first claimed Mr. Stearns. The first sermon was preached and the first
church was organized by the Rev. MR. Lathrop, a Methodist preacher.
Organization and Nomenclature.
In the days of it early settlement this town was called Lexington. At its organization, Jan. 10, 1849, it was named Arcade. In the winter of 1850 it was re-christened by its present name. Its first election was held April 3, 1849. The number of votes cast was fifty-seven. The following were elected: B.B. Spaulding, Chairman; John S. Ward, Treasurer; John W. Vars, Charles De Groff, William Dakin and H.A. Buck, Justices of the Peace.
Also see the Village of Dartford.
back to main Green Lake County page.