Guide to the South Humberside Area Archive Officeby John Wilson. North East Lincolnshire Archives and Record Service, Town Hall, Town Hall Square, Grimsby DN31 1HX. 92pp. £7. Checks payable to: North East Lincolnshire Council. Tel: 011-441-1472-323585.
The name of this institution has changed from the South Humberside to the North East Lincolnshire Archive Office. The area covered includes: Scunthorpe municipal borough; Glanford Brigg rural district; Barton upon Humber urban district; Brigg urban district; Grimsby rural district and county borough and Cleethorpes municipal borough.
The book is divided up into records for the Borough of Grimsby, Statutory Authorities, Public Records and unofficial deposited archives. There are many records listed here, but the majority are without any explanation of what information they might include. Information and collections of many individuals are included, all mentioned in the index.
This depository is not the diocesan record office; therefore, do not look here for parish registers, bishop's transcripts or wills proven before 1858. There are however some church related documents such as membership lists, minutes, Sunday school books, attendance registers, year books, accounts, etc.
Grimsby is particularly well known for its fishing industry. The archives has a good collection of appropriate materials including: Customs and Excise Registers; Board of Trade crew and apprentice lists; Borough Council papers and minutes; Reports and records for dock companies, fish merchants, mariner institutions, fishing companies, shipping, ship suppliers, repairers, agents and owners and salvage companies. The apprenticeship records are also indexed.
For researching the Humberside area, this guide is a must. Unfortunately for most of us, the material can only be seen in Grimbsy. The Archives will answer short direct question for those who send two International Reply Coupons. For more involved work, they will provide the names of local researchers for hire.
Reviewed by Paul Milner
BIGWILL v.4 no.1, 1997