Robert H. Davis, proprietor of Mauston House, and a member of the firm of R. H. Davis & Co., millers, Lemonweir. Was born at Baraboo, Wis., March 29, 1849. Received his education in the public schools, and in a three years course in the Collegiate Institute at Baraboo. He learned the miller's trade with his father, at Wonewoc, where he served two years. He next engaged with Mr. Boorman in the Mauston Mills, where he remained three years. March 19, 1867, he entered into partnership with his father, in a lease of the Dustin mills at Lemonweir, under the firm name of R. H. Davis & Co., and continued to run these mills under the lease until February, 1869, when they purchased the mill, and proceeded with the business. After his father's death, which occurred September 22, of that year, he continued the business under the old name, though other parties have been interested in it. The mill is a three-story building, 40x50, with basement; is run by waterpower; has three run of stones, with a daily capacity of fifty barrels. Jan. 1, 1881, Mr. Davis purchased the hotel property at Mauston, known as the Mauston House, which he is keeping at this time. He is perfecting his plans for a three-story house, to take the place of the old one, which is to be moved to the rear. Mr. Davis was married in Mauston, Oct. 12, 1879, to Miss Louisa Dick, daughter of John A. and Elizbaeth (Curran) Dick. Mrs. Davis was born in Rock Co., Wis. They have one child, called Charles Keith.
Source: History of Northern Wisconsin. Publisher: Western Historical Co., Chicago 1881. p. 375