TWN OF GERMANTOWN

Organized: 1855
First Settler: Walter Gaige, Jacob Gundlach in 1851
First Town Chairman:  Walter Gaige
Origin of Name: After its large number of German settlers.
First Church: Evangelical Lutheran
First School: Germantown Village
First Recorded Town Tax:  $1029.19 in 1865

source: Juneau County, The First Hundred Years, published 1988


 CENSUS
1860 census - Germantown
1870 Census - Germantown
1875 Census - Germantown
1880 Census - Germantown
1895 Census - Germantown
1900 Census - Germantown
1910 Census - Germantown
1920 Census - Germantown

Germantown is a small village, situated at the junction of the Wisconsin and Yellow rivers. The important industries, are the mills of Messrs J. Arnold and McQueen, Davis & Co. The former manufacture annually, 5,000,000 feet of lumber and the latter, 7,000,000. Outside of the supply stores connected with the mills, there is the usual representation of business. The lumber manufactured is run down the Wisconsin River to the Mississippi Valley, which furnishes a market. The village has a graded school and Masonic Lodge, also a Lodge of Good Templars. The only religious institution in the village is a mission of the Methodist Church.
Source: History of Northern Wisconsin. Publisher: Western Historical Co., Chicago 1881 p. 394


Necedah Republician newspaper, April 8, 1909
contributed by Joan Benner

Town of Germantown
The following ticket won out in Germantown:
For Supervisors---W. C. Runkel, Chairman; Herman Hornberg, Albert Grefe
For Town Clerk---Ross Williams
For Town Treasurer---C. W. Ganther
For Assessor---H. D. White
For Justices of the Peace---Ross Williams and W. C. Runkel
For Constables---James Lepic, Carl Williams and Fred Schirmer
102 votes cast in the town altogether.
For State Superintendent Cary received 33, hewitt 6, Hooper 6, Wood 18
For County Judge Bunnell received 33, Dithmar 17, Morris 31


Buckhorn Report - by Julie Zolondek


return to homepage