Dr. F. W. B. Achen
As published in
"The City of Kenosha and Kenosha County Wisconsin: A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement"
by Frank H. Lyman Vol. 2, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1916.
Dr. F. W. B. Achen, a native of Evanston, Illinois, was born 22 Apr 1886, and is a son of Ben and Mary A. Achen, the former now deceased, while the latter is a resident of Russell, Illinois. The father was born on the old homestead in Newport Township, Lake County, Illinois, and was a son of Otto Achen, who took up government land in the year 1837. He devoted the summer seasons to general agricultural pursuits, and through the winter months sailed on the ocean. His son, Ben Achen, was a farmer by occupation and was also a street car conductor, acting as such on the first street car that made the trip from Chicago to Evanston. He also ran the first three-wagon daily milk route in Evanston, and became one of the best known men on the Lake Shore. In the family of Ben and Mary A. Achen were three children, of whom the eldest, Earl, died in 1882. The second son is Dr. Achen, and the third is Merrill J., who married Ethel Griswold and resides on the old home place. The mother also lives there in a new home of her own, which her sons erected for her in the year 1915.
Dr. Achen was reared in Antioch, Illinois, and in his early youth attended the Wesley Avenue school at Evanston. He was also a student in the Newport school of Lake County and afterward attended high school. He next attended the Chicago Veterinary College, from which he graduated. In 1907 he came to Kenosha, WI, where he has since remained. He enjoyed a splendid practice for eight and one-half years and then abandoned his profession in order to engage in the automobile business. He opened a large garage here in connection with T. S. Scott. In fact they have the only two-story garage in the city. Their business covers Racine, Walworth, and Kenosha Counties of Wisconsin, Lake County, Illinois, and a part of McHenry County, Illinois, and they are represented by well known dealers at points all over this territory. They handle both trucks and pleasure cars, being agents for the Oakland, Marmon, Stutz, Chandler, and National. They also handle the complete line of General Motors Trucks, and the business has reached extensive proportions. Dr. Achen was formerly interested in farming property close to the city limits, but has disposed of this in order to devote his entire time to the garage and sale of cars. The contract of the firm for 1916 calls for the purchase of one hundred and seventy four cars from factories. They feel they will have no difficulty in disposing of these, for their business has grown steadily since they started out, and year by year their sale of cars has increased.
On the 27th of May, 1912, Dr. Achen was married to Miss Florence Anna Kennedy, of Antioch, and they have one son, George Ben. While actively connected with his profession, Dr. Achen became a member of the Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association and the America Veterinary Medical Association. In politics he has always been a republican, and in the fall of 1912 was elected to the office of Sheriff of Kenosha County, which position he acceptably filled, during the succeeding two years. Fraternally Dr. Achen is connected with the Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Moose, and the Woodmen. He is also a member of the Hamilton Club of Chicago, and has a wide acquaintance in that city. Energy and enterprise have carried him far upon the path of success. He has never feared to venture where favoring opportunity has led the way, and his business activities have ever been the expression of business rectitude as well as progressiveness. Each forward step has brought him a broader outlook and wider opportunities, and today he stands high in the business circles of the city, his name being a leader in the line to which he directs his energies.
Typed by: Michelle Laycock