Kenosha County Biographical Sketches

A

CITY OF KENOSHA

N. R. ALLEN, proprietor of tannery, is at present the oldest settler in Kenosha; he came here Aug. 17,1835, and engaged in the mercantile business, in which he remained until May, 1836, when he began farming. He pre-empted a quarter of Section 31, and subsequently bought an additional quarter. After a visit of year at the East, he returned, in 1841, and built stores and a dwelling, the latter being the first brick house in Kenosha. In October, 1843, he married Mary Hale, a native of Oneida Co., N. Y. In the spring previous to that, he bought out Samuel Hale, and carried on the business as the firm of Stryker & Allen. He was Highway Commissioner most of 1844, and the firm of Stryker & Allen being dissolved after six months, he clerked for John Bullen, Jr. In 1845, he was elected Constable and Collector; held the office for five years. When the county was divided, in 1850, he was appointed Deputy Sheriff by Leonard Crocker, and, in the fall of the year, was elected Sheriff. Mr. Allen was one of the original stockholders in the Western Emigration Co., organized in Hannibal Center, Oswego Co., N. Y. He invested in three shares of the stock, which cost him all the money he had in the world, $30. He had taught school the previous winter to earn it. Mr. Allen only realized $3 for the money invested. In 1853, he bought grain, and, in the spring of 1854, formed a lumber partnership with James M. Stryker and John A. Brooks. He continued in this firm two years, and, in 1856, commenced the building of his tannery on its present site, in company with Levi Grand and William Vercelius. In 1857, Vercelius having withdrawn from the firm, though still foreman, Grant sold out to William H. Smith, who in turn sold his interest to Allen, in 1863. The tannery burned June 21, 1866. On the 1st of May Mr. Allen's son, Charles W., became a partner, as did another son, Nathan R., in 1878; the latter received the first diploma issued to a civil engineer from the Northwestern University. Mr. Allen, during his long residence, has held many offices of trust. He was Trustee of the village two or three years before the city incorporation; he was a member of the first grand jury in Racine Co., and was on the last grand jury in Kenosha Co., before that system was abolished. He has been Alderman one or two terms, a member of the Board of Supervisors, and also a member of the School Board. Mr. Allen has six children, four daughters and the two sons before mentioned. The daughters are Mary H., now Mrs. James H. Cole, of Kenosha; Hattie C., Julia C. and Clara Adelle.

HENRY ANDRE, manufacturer and dealer in cigars and tobaccos; born in Pennsylvania in 1839; came to Wisconsin in 1865, locating at Racine, where he worked at cigar business for one year, then moved to Kenosha and commenced business for himself. Married, in the fall of 1865, Miss Elmira B. Stoneback, a native of Chester Co., Penn. They have had three children, one boy and two girls. Members Methodist Church; Republican.

TOWN OF PLEASANT PRAIRIE

None with the letter "A"

TOWN OF SOMERS

MILLARD J. ANDREWS, farmer, Sec. 22; P.O. Kenosha; born in the State of New York, his father coming West in 1854, locating on a farm in Kenosha Co.; he continued farming , in various places in the county, until 1875, when he occupied the farm upon which he died, June 29, 1878, where his sons, Millard and Albert, are now conducting the farm, which consists of 160 acres. The other members of the family living in Kenosha Co. were David E. and Ella M. David died in 1861.

TOWN OF BRISTOL

GEORGE ADAMSON, farmer, Sec. 34; P.O. Woodworth; born April 26, 1836, in West Meath, Ireland, where he learned the mason's trade; he came to America in 1852, and located in Morristown, N.Y., where he worked as a mason; in 1855, he came to Wisconsin and settled in Bristol Township, and still worked at his trade, farming at the same time; in 1863, he bought his farm, 160 acres, and built his homestead, which he enlarged in 1876; he raises all kinds of grain and stock, and makes butter for the market. Married Miss Johanna Genna, of Ireland, July 8, 1855, and has seven children - Sarah J., Julia N., Mary N., Johanna, John J., George and Helena. He serves as Pathmaster. He and his family are members of the Catholic Church.

TOWN OF PARIS

None with the letter "A"

TOWN OF BRIGHTON

None with the letter "A"

TOWN OF RANDALL

None with the letter "A"

TOWN OF SALEM

None with the letter "A"

TOWN OF WHEATLAND

None with the letter "A"



Click here to go to
WIGenWeb AHGP

Return to Biographical Sketches Page