Kenosha County Biographical Sketches
CITY OF KENOSHA
HANS HANSEN, of the firm of Bendt & Hansen, groceries and dry goods; born in Denmark in 1842; came to Wisconsin in 1866, locating at Kenosha, where he went to work for Jacob G. Gottfredsen, in the grocery business; continued for three years; the fall of 1869, formed a partnership with Joseph Bendt, and opened a general store. Married, in 1870, Miss Eliza Bendt, a native of Switzerland; they have had four children, one son and three daughters; one daughter dead. Members of the German Lutheran Church. Mr. Hansen is a Republican.
JOHN HARRINGTON, watchman; born in London, Eng., in 1828, and, in June, 1846, emigrated to America. He followed sailing up to 1852, when he engaged as ship-rigger in the city of New York, remaining at that until 1856 he then went to Detroit, and afterward to Chicago, engaging in the two latter cities as brewer. In 1860, he came to Kenosha, where, for the first few years, he was employed as brewer; then in dredging, and also worked at the business of machinist up to 1877, since which time be has been employed as night-watchman at the Bain wagon manufactory. He married, in 1852, Miss Mary Kuntz, who died in 1867. Married, in 1869, Miss Margaret Schitts, a native of Prussia. Mr. Harrington has raised twenty-one children.
HENRY B. HINSDALE is a native of New York, and came from there to Kenosha in the spring of 1843. He was engaged in the mercantile business for nine years, then went to Chicago, where he carried on the lumber business for ten years. In 1862, he returned to Kenosha, and became Vice President of the Kenosha Co. Bank. In 1865, he became Secretary of the N. W. Telegraph Co. Mr. Hinsdale has held various responsible offices. He was Postmaster for two years under John Tyler; was County Treasurer for two years; Register of Deeds for one year, and President of the School Board two Years. He organized the City Fire Department about 1845, and was Chief Engineer for seven years. He also organized the "Kenosha Rifles," and commanded that company for a number of years. It went into the late war in the 1st Wis. V. I, under the command of his old Orderly Sergeant. Mr. Hinsdale is a prominent Odd Fellow, and, in 1850, was elected G. M. for Wisconsin, and the following, year, Grand Representative to the Grand Lodge I.O.O.F. of the United States.
CHARLES, HOLDERNESS, barber born in Kenosha in August, 1857, where he received his early education. In 1876, he commenced work in E. Bain's wagon factory, continued one year. In 1877, he opened a barber shop on Main street, his present location.
JOSEPH C. HOLT, was born in Pleasant Prairie Aug. 3 1842. He was engaged in farming until 1862, when he went to Nevada, and engaged in mining and stock-raising. He came to Kenosha to reside in 1876.
LAUREN C. HOLT. retired farmer; was born in Waterbury, Conn., May 13, 1804, and came to Yankee Settlement, between Chicago and Joliet, in August 1835; to Pleasant Prairie, Wis., Oct. 1, of the same year, and lived there that and the following winter. He then made a claim on the northwest quarter of Sec. 28, east quarter of northeast quarter of Sec. 29 - 240 acres. There he lived until 1869, when he came to Kenosha. He was Assessor of Pleasant Prairie for several years, and was Deputy Postmaster there when the mail was carried between Chicago and Milwaukee but twice a week. On the 8th of March, 1838, he married Emma Derbyshire, a native of Westfield, Chautauqua Co., N. Y.; they have had four children, one son deceased, Charles Francis, who died 27th of February, 1878, in Pleasant Prairie. The living are, Christopher D., who married Miss Rugg, and lives on the old homestead; Joseph C. and Louisa A., now Mrs. E. L. Rugg. The parents of Mrs. Holt, Christopher Derbyshire, a native of England, and Emily T. Derbyshire (afterward Mrs. King) were early settlers here. He located a claim in Pleasant Prairie, in 1835, and died in Milwaukee in March, 1839, at the time of the land sale. His wife married Mr. King in I851. He died in Kenosha in 1868, but she still lives at an advanced age.
OLIVER HOYE, gardener and sexton; native of County Down, Ireland; born in 1821; came to Kenosha in 1850, and engaged at work on foundation for residence of Judge Curtiss; followed farming four years; in 1854, began gardening, folllowing that to present time; in 1864, became sexton of cemetery, holding that position to present time. Member of St. Mark's Catholic Church. Married in 1846, Miss Margaret O'Hara, a native of Ireland; have had thirteen children, twelve of whom are still living.
ALEXANDER HUCK, saloon-keeper; born in France in 1834; came to Wisconsin 1852, locating at Kenosha, where he worked at shoemaking for James Mathews. John Hogan and F. W. Lyman; in 1858, formed a partnership with Michael Huck, opening a saloon and grocery; in 1859, John Orth bought out Michael, the firm changing to Huck & Orth; were burned out in April 186O; in May of the same year, a partnership was formed between Alex. Huck, Michael Huck, John Orth and Andrew Schuffin, when they opened a general store, continuing for one year, when A. Schuffin bought out the firm; in 1862, Mr. Huck went into the furniture business, and continued for three years; in 1867, opened a restaurant and saloon on Main street, his present location. Married, November, 1860, Miss Margaret Bedesem, a native of Germany, who died in I871 at Kenosha; they had seven children, four sons and three daughters; one son and one daughter died; in 1874, he married again Miss Annette Yeihen, a native of Germany; she died at Kenosha in I875; they had two children, twin girls. July 12, I875, he married Miss Catherine Schmidt, a native of Germany.
MATHIAS HUCK, boot and shoe merchant; born March 4, 1831, in Alsace, France; came to America in 1849, and went first to Buffalo, N. Y., where he worked at his trade; in the fall of 1849, went to Batavia, N. Y.; in March, 1852, went to Pittsburgh Penn.; then to Janesville, Ohio. in May, 1852, and came to Kenosha, Wis., in June of the same year; established himself in business in September, 1859, but was burnt out in 1860, when he lost everything, and again, in April of the same year, opened his present store, and his business has constantly increased until it has assumed its present liberal proportions. Miss Mary Annie Tetart, whom he married March 11, 1854, in Kenosha, was born Aug. 26, 1837, in New Jersey; they have nine children - Josephine, born Nov. 28, 1854 George J., Oct. 30, 1856; Mathias J., Oct. 30, 1860; Oscar P., Jan. 25, 1862; Francis, Dec. 11, 1864; Eugene, Oct. 30, 1867; Albert, April 1, 1869; Ida, July 30, 1877; Angeline, Dec. 3, 1878. Mr. Huck was Alderman in 1860, and is now President of St. George's Benevolent Society, and Treasurer of St. George's Catholic Church, of which he and his family are members.
NICHOLAS HUETTER, blacksmith; born in Prussia April 17, 1825; came to Kenosha in 1854, and engaged in making and repairing buggies and wagons; in 1867, entered machine shop for a short time; returned to his former business, making also vault doors; he made one for the First National Bank, of Kenosha, which created general surprise by the excellence of the workmanship, having been made entirely by hand in a small shop; made Also vault doors for County Buildings; returned, in 1857, to Prussia, and married Miss Madelena Huetter; returned with his wife, and has resided in Kenosha since. Held the office of Alderman three years; member of School Board three years.
EDGAR R. HUGUNIN, retired; was born in Oswego, N. Y., and was a son of Peter D. Hugunin, a native of Mapletown, on the Mohawk River, N. Y., who died April 25, 1865 Mr. Hugunin has been engaged in the shipping business the most of his life, and, in 1833, stopped at Kenosha with his father from the cutter Westward Ho, upon which vessel they left Chicago to visit Green Bay and intermediate ports; on the 1st of May, 1836, he came to Southport and engaged in agricultural pursuits, his farm being located in the town of Somers, Section 30. In 1837, he was commissioned Sheriff by Gov. Dodge, and served until the fall of 1841. In 1839, at the land sale, he entered what is known as the Hawley and Evans places, one and a half miles of the lake shore ridge. In 1844, he was elected Sheriff and served two terms; he was four years Sergeant-at-Arms of the Legislature, and a member of the Second Constitutional Convention. In 1850, he went to California, where he engaged in dealing in supplies and mining until July, 1853, when he returned home; he went into the stone brick and lime business in Chicago, until 1871, and in 1872 moved his family from that city to Kenosha; he then engaged in the lime trade, at Green Bay, until 1874, when he retired. Among other public offices he has held was that of Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of the town of Somers four years and County Commissioner for six years, his service expiring in 1864. He was married on the 4th of March, 1847, to Martha W. Hatch, a native of Coldbrook, N. H., though reared in Vermont; they have had five children -Anna, died in infancy Leonard, first child, probably killed in the army; Anna M. (Mrs. Geo. S. Weeks), deceased; Edgar C., in the regular army located at Ft. Brown, and Lillie M.
TOWN OF PLEASANT PRAIRIE
JAMES A. HALSEY, agent Truesdell Station; Sec. 4; P.O. Truesdell; born in Albany, N.Y., Oct 3, 1855; Feb. 20, 1867, removed to Milwaukee, Wis., with his parents, where he completed his education; May 10, 1870, entered the dry goods house of T.A. Chapman & Co., Milwaukee, as cash boy; three weeks later, was given a clerkship in the cotton department; did not like the business; resigned June 28, 1870, and obtained a position as Messenger No. 3, Great Western Telegraph Company; June 6, 1871; Messenger No. 2; April 28, 1871, appointed Board of Trade Messenger No. 1, and Delivery Clerk; March 2, 1872, appointed book-keeper, and, while holding the above position, succeeded in learning to telegraph; resigned Feb. 28, 1873; May 13, 1873, was appointed night operator at Lake, Milwaukee Co., Wis.; June 27, 1874, appointed operator at Kinnikinie Station, in the City of Milwaukee; July 28, 1874, resigned on account of ill helath, and went to New York City; Sept. 20, 1874, was appointed night operator at Binghampton, N.Y., Albany and Susquehanna Railroad; Sept 25, 1874, by request of his parents, resigned and returned to his home. Oct. 13, 1874, appointed relieving operator for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad; Dec. 8, 1874, appointed agent for the American Express Company; March 10, 1879, appointed U.S. Postmaster.
JAMES HARTRAY, farmer, Secs. 5 and 6; P.O. Truesdell; born March 27, 1834, in Boston, Mass.; lived there until 3 years of age; removed to Detroit, Mich., and, in 1842, went to Grosse Point, Cook Co., Ill.; moved to Evanston, Ill. in May 1856; bought a farm in North Evanston, which he sold in 1873, and then devoted his time to grading, horse-dealing, etc., until he purchased his present place, in February 1876, and came to reside here in June of that year; besides raising general farm produce, Mr. Hartray devotes special attention to horse-breeding, having several of the best bred mares and horses in the country; short-horn cattle; dairy work, making a large quantity of butter annually; he also raises large numbers of full-blooded, long-wool, Leicester sheep. He is the son of James and Ellen Hartray; his mother died March 15, 1876; his father is living at North Evanston, Ill. Married Miss Mary Ellis, of Cook County., Ill., May 24, 1855; Mrs. Hartray is of German parentage, and was born mid-ocean; she inherited quite a large property; they have nine children - James W., born March 16, 1856; Ellen, Jan. 1, 1858; May J., Feb. 15, 1860; John, June 20, 1862; Thomas, Oct. 4, 1864; George, April 17, 1867; Annie M., Dec. 2, 1870; William C., March 27, 1873; Frank, June 27, 1877. Held school offices at Evanston, Ill., is Supervisor of Pleasant Prairie Township, and is seving his third year as Road Overseer of this place. Mr. H. and family are members of St. Mark's Catholic Church.
ROBERT S. HOUSTON, farmer, Sec. 20; P.O. Kenosha; born Aug. 7, 1820, in Charlemont, Franklin County, Mass.; was a cutter by trade; went to Meriden, Conn., Jan. 18, 1851, and stayed there about seven years, working for one company; left there Sept. 15, 1857; reached Kenosha Sept. 25; bought eighty acres of land in Pleasant Prairie; built his homestead and farm-buildings; now owns 361 acres of land, principally devoted to pasture and to raising hay, corn and oats; he keeps on an average about ninety head of Jersey cattle and their grades for dairy purposes, making about fifteen thousand pounds of butter per annum. Mr. H. was one of the first to ship cheese East for the market; he has taken five medals at different times, the first four for butter, and the last for cheese - Centennial, bronze; Wisconsin State Agricultrual Society, silver; Wisconsin Dairymen's Association, silver; Wisconsin Dairymen's Association, gold; Wisconsin State Agricultural Society, silver. Married Miss Lucy M. Stone, of Whately, Mass., Jan 24, 1849. Mr. H. is Treasurer of School District, and has been for nineteen years; was Chairman and Side Supervisor for Pleasant Prairie for several years; member of Legislature for 1874. Mr. and Mrs. H. are members of the Methodist Church.
NATHAN B. HYDE, farmer, Sec. 11; P.O. Kenosha.
TOWN OF SOMERS
JACOB R. HANSCHE, farmer, Sec. 6; P.O. Kenosha; born in Hanover in 1841; came to America in 1868, locating in Racine, Wis.; in 1875, he came to Kenosha Co., and settled on the farm which he now occupies. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church. He married, in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1868, Miss Rika Henschen, a native of Prussia; he has five children - Katie, Freddie, August, Jacob and Eddie. He is the owner of twnety-four and three-fourths acres of land.
ANDREAS HELT, farmer, Sec. 19; P.O. Kenosha; born in Prussia in 1821; came to America in 1856, locating at Racine, Wis.; engaged at work on brick-yard and farming one or two years; went thence to Illinois, near Galena, where he married, in 1859, Mrs. Annie Turesh, a ntaive of Switzerland. After some years, came to Kenosha, locating on the farm he now occupies. He had one child who died, has one child living, a son of his wife by former husband. He is owner of 45 acres.
JOHN C. HOLMES, farmer, Sec. 36; P.O. Kenosha; born in New York March 15, 1802; he came West in June 1829, stopping at Cleveland and vicinity until 1832. While in Cleveland, he married Miss Fanny Woodbridge, a native of Vermont; going from Cleveland, he went to St. Joseph, Mich., where he remained until 1836; he then came to Kenosha and settled on the farm where he now lives; has had ten children, six still living - Enoch D., John C., Ada L., William H., Fanny E. and Lydia C. He is a member of and has been Clerk of the Baptist Church of Kenosha for many years. Is owner of 100 acres of land.
AUGUSTUS HUCK, farmer, Sec. 24; P.O. Kenosha; born in France in 1829; he came to America in 1851, locating in Kenosha Co.; he engaged in farming; in 1855, he went to teaming, and in 1858, he engaged as superintendent of a large farm, remaingin in that position until 1875, when he purchased the farm that he has since lived upon. He married, in 1854, Miss Mary A. Klenkler, a native of France. Members of the Catholic Church. Have five children. He is owner of 135 acres of land.
GEORGE T. HUGHES, farmer, Sec. 17; P.O. Somers; born in New York in 1840; his father, Jehiel Hughes, came to Kenosha Co. in 1840, returned for his family, and with them located in Somers and engaged in farming; also as carpenter and joiner; in 1861, George T. Hughes enlisted in the 1st Wis. Cav., going into active service; he was mustered out of service on account of sickness, October 1862, going to California; he returned to Kenosha Co. in 1867, and engaged in carpenter and joiner work up to 1875; he then, with two brothers, engaged in business in a hay and feed mill, dealing in feed and pressing hay. He married in Illinois, in 1877, Hattie Messig, a native of New York State. He is owner of 111 acres of farm, and he and his brothers own one and a half acres with buildings at Somers station.
TOWN OF BRISTOL
HENRY H. HOLBROOK, farmer, Sec. 23; P.O. Woodworth; born Aug. 5, 1840, in Cheektowaga, Erie Co., N.Y.; in the fall of 1844, came West with his parents who located in Bristol Township, in the spring of 1845, after staying a short time at Naperville, Ill.; his father bought the farm of eighty acres and built the homestead in 1852; he died Nov. 26, 1877, after a lingering illness of fifteen years; Mr. H.H. Holbrook now cultivates the farm; raises corn, oats, wheat, potatoes, horses, cows, sheep, hogs and poultry; he enlarged the homestead in 1872. Married Miss Mary J. Richtmyer, of Bristol, Nov. 14, 1871, who died Jan. 8, 1875; she had two children - Arthur J., born Aug. 25, 1872, died Feb. 24, 1873; Harrison L., born Dec. 25 1873. Married Mrs. Mary Miller, of Wilmot, Jan. 23, 1878. She is a member of the Dutch Reformed Church.
TOWN OF PARIS
MARY E. HANEY, farmer, Sec. 2; P.O. Sylvania, Racine Co.; born in Prussia in 1817; in 1848, she came with her husband and family to America; in 1849, to Wisconsin, and located on a farm in Paris Township, where Mrs. Haney and her son Jacob now reside. Mrs. Haney married in Prussia, Mr. Peter Haney, who died on Sept. 15, 1871; the family consists of the widow and two sons - John, married and residing on a farm in Paris Township, near his mother; Jacob resides with his mother, and conducts her farm of 120 acres; John was born in May, 1842, and Jacob in August, 1848.
TOWN OF BRIGHTON
OTTO HILLMANN, Sec. 5; P.O. Dover; born in Mecklinburg, Germany, in November 1808; came to Wisconsin in 1854; bought a farm of eighty acres, on which he now lives; industriously followed farming ever since. Married in Germany, October 1834, Miss Louisa Krieger, born in Germany in 1812; they have four children living - Carl, born June, 1839; Theodore, born June, 1846; Fritz, born August 1849; Louisa, born June, 1851. His son Fritz married, March, 1878, Miss Amelia Schultz, a native of Prussia, born in 1858; they have one child - Louisa, born Jan. 6, 1879. Fritz rents the farm from his father and is working it with success. His father built two houses on the place, one he occupies and the other his son lives in. He now owns 120 acres of good land, well improved. Members of the Lutheran Church.
TOWN OF RANDALL
WILLIAM H. HARRISON, farmer, Sec. 30; P.O. Genoa Junction; born in Pennsylvania in 1835; came to Wisconsin with his parents the same year, when they located in Randall; the early part of his life he was farming with his father; in 1858, took charge of 134 and one-half acres, his present location; at the death of his father, came into possession of his parents' property; he also bought 153 acres adjoining; in 1874, commenced raising stock for the Chicago market. Married, Feb. 12, 1867, Miss Nettie Capran, a native of Canada; had three children - Kirt L., born Jan. 17, 1869; Hattie M., Jan. 10, 1873; Orville E., Jan. 18, 1875. Belonged to 8th W.V.I.; joined his regiment at Madison; was in battles at Corinth and Vicksburg, Miss.; mustered out Sept. 17, 1864; returned to Randall. Republican. Held offices of Assistant Supervisor two years, Assessor four years, and is Justice of the Peace.
WILLIAM HAYTHORN, farmer, Sec. 27; P.O. Wilmot; born in Yorkshire, England, Feb. 22, 1804; emigrated to America in 1842, settling in Salem, Kenosha Co., where he purchased a farm of eighty acres, his present homestead; afterward purchased a farm of 218 acres in Sec. 33. Was Roadmaster several years. Married, May, 1829, Mrs. Smith, a native of England, who died December, 1873; had two children - Hannah, born May, 1831, married in 1850, James K. Reynolds, who died November, 1873; John, born March, 1835. Members Episcopal Church; Democrat.
ALMERIN HERRICK, farmer, Sec. 33; P.O. Wilmot; born in New York in 1830; came to Wisconsin June 1, 1839; the early part of his life was devoted to farming with his father; in 1854, moved to Sec. 33, a farm of eighty acres, given him by his father. Married, in 1855, Miss Susan E. Wing, a native of New York, who died at Randall in 1876; they had four children - Hattie, born July 30, 1858, died 1874; William J., born March 15, 1861, died Aug, 18, 1863; Carra Belle, born in 1864; Albion Frederick, born in 1866. Mr. H. held the offices of Town Treasurer two years, Pathmaster three years. In 1864, enlisted in the 95th I.V.I.; joined regiment at Nashville, Tenn.; was in the engagements at Nashville, Spanish Fort, Mobile; mustered out 1865, and returned to Randall. Members of the Methodist Church; Republican. Draws $6 per month pension on account of impaired eyesight from injury in battle.
TOWN OF SALEM
T.O. HOLLISTER, deceased; born in Litchfield, Conn., in 1821; came to Wisconsin in 1850; afterward finished his education and located at Salem for a year; in 1852, he joined the Wisconsin Conference and traveled as a minister for sixteen years; his last appointment from the Conerence was Pleasant Prairie, but, on account of an over-taxed brain, he was stricken with apoplexy, and died at Salem, Kenosha Co., Wis.; March 13, 1869, aged 47 years. He married, in 1851, Miss Emily L. Laraybee, of New York; had five children - Francis E., born July, 1853; Cora E., April 1860; Julius B., October 1864; H.T., February, 1866; H., February 1856, who died at Fond du Lac, Wis., in 1860. Members of Methodist-Episcopal Church. Mr. H. owned a farm of ninety-six acres, where his widow now lives.
TOWN OF WHEATLAND
MRS. GEORGE W. HALL, widow, Sec. 31; P.O. Burlington; was born in Petersboro, Madison Co., N.Y. In 1837, she married George W. Hall, a native of the same place, born in 1809; he died in 1867. During his life he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. They have had five children, of whom two are dead. Mrs. Hall owns 120 acres of land in Section 31.
JOSEPH HEMLING, farmer, Sec. 10; P.O. Wheatland; born in Westphalia, Prussia, in May, 1817. Married in Westphalia, in May, 1855, Miss Christina Uhlengaut, a native of the same place. Had one son - Herman, born in 1857, whose mother died the same year. They came to McHenry Co., Ill., in 1856, where he rented a farm and worked it profitably. In October, 1860, Mr. Hemling married his second wife, Miss Anna Arning, who was born in Holland. Has three children - Adelaide, born in 1861; Bernard, born in 1862; Henry, born in 1867. In 1860, he came with his wife to Wheatland Township, and bought a farm consisting of 135 acres of fine land, which he has improved. Members of the Wheatland Catholic Church.
WILLIAM HOFFER, farmer, Sec. 11; P.O. Wheatland; born in Germany in 1843; he came with his parents to Wisconsin in 1845; they located and engaged at farming; William assisted his father in working the farm until 1863, when he enlisted in the 22d Wis. Regt., Co. K; he was in all of the battles his regiment participated in; was mustered out in Louisville, Ky., in July 1865; returned to Wisconsin and re-engaged at farming. Mr. Hoffer married, in January, 1866, Mrs. Elizabeth Kablitz, who was born in Germany, in 1844; she was the widow of Joseph Kablitz, by whom she had five children, three are living - Gerhardt, Mary and Eliza. By this marriage, they have three children - Theodore, William and Anna. He owns eighty acres of fairly improved land. Members of the Wheatland Catholic Church.
WILLIAM HOLLE, farmer, Sec. 6; P.O. Slades' Corner; was born in Germany in 1821; came to America
in 1847; resided in Massachusetts until 1855, when he removed to Wisconsin and located in
Wheatland. He is a member of the Methodist Church. Owns seventy-five acres of land in Sec. 6.