Kenosha County WI Churches and Temples


This is a list of churches in Kenosha County. The research for this list took two months to compile. This list has been updated several times since it was first posted. Some errors have been corrected and some information was added. All of the information here can be obtained using the resources available at the Simmons Public Library in Kenosha. This list is our best effort at compiling a short history to assist genealogical researchers, however, there may be errors that we are not aware of. Please E-mail us if any errors or omissions are found on this list.
This list is copyrighted by Michelle Laycock.

At this time, information about the locations of membership records for the below churches has not been investigated. Please do not E-mail us asking for the church records. If anyone knows the locations of records pertaining to any of these churches (especially the churches that are no longer active) we encourage you to E-mail us with this information. As church information is available, there will be updates to this page.

RESEARCHERS: Please be courteous if you contact any of these churches. REMEMBER, they are not in the "business" to help you with your genealogy. It is always a good idea to offer to come in and do the searches yourself, if they will allow it. If not, ask politely if there is a church volunteer that is willing to help you. If someone is particularily helpful to you over the phone, it is always a sign of gratitude to send a donation. If we are missing any churches, please let us know. If you have any information to share about Kenosha church history, please E-mail us.

Last Update - 9/12/2004



Town of Brighton

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
St. Frances Xavier Catholic Church formerly St. Patrick's Catholic church
origins date back to 1841-1842. Early members were German, Irish, Dutch. Some were from Luxembourg. Baptismal records date back to 1848. Early members worshipped in the homes of Michael Ward and Patrick Maguire.
First church erected in 1845 (log structure). Frame structured church built in 1848, which was destroyed in a tornado in 1883. Church was rebuilt in 1883.
1704 240th Ave.
Brighton, WI 53139-9609
262-878-2267
St. Patrick's Catholic Church Founded: 1841-1842
Now known as St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church
Church built in 1848, and named St. Patrick's Catholic Church
After the church building was destroyed in a tornado, it was rebuilt and renamed.


Town of Bristol

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Asbury Chapel Members of the Bristol United Methodist Church worshipped here before building their own church building in 1886. Building no longer exists
Bristol German Methodist Church Formed by settlers from Germany
No longer standing
Founded: 1879
Combined with Bristol United Methodist Church
Bristol United Methodist Church Founded: 1880s
Dedicated building in 1887
8014 199th Ave.
Bristol, WI 53104
262-857-2961
Bristol and Paris Congregational Church - Plank Road (see also Town of Paris) No longer standing
Founded: 1837
Church built: 1853
Closed 1927
Torn down 1931
Hosmer Methodist Church Early pioneer church
Building no longer exists
St. Benedict's Mission Parish (now St. Scholastica)
Founded: 1945
12605 224th Ave.
Benet Lake, WI
St. Irene Byzantine Catholic Founded: 1978
Other locations: Met at St. Peter's Church in Antioch, Ill., and moved to Bristol in 1983
Current status not known.
7427 156th St.
Bristol, WI 53104
St. Mary's Catholic Church building no longer standing
(now St. Scholastica)
Founded: 1866
Closed: 1927
St. Scholastica Catholic Church formerly St. Mary's Catholic Church and St. Benedict's Mission Parish (name changed in 1958)
Founded: 1958
18700 116th
Bristol, WI 53104
262-857-2068
Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church Founded: 1837
Previous Location: The log-cabin home of Bristol pioneer Obed Ward, 1st Church building built 1852 on land donated by Ward and wife Sarah, town down - 2nd building built 1873
At present location: since 1873
10239 136th Ave.
Bristol, WI 53104
262-657-2234
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of Bristol Founded: 1895
Church dedicated: 1896
Present building erected 1960
7931 US 45 (P.O. Box 7)
Bristol, WI 53104
262-857-7310


Town of Paris

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Bethany Primitive Methodist Church One of the original churches in the town
Pioneer members were of Welsh origin.
Founded: 1840s. Frame church building built in 1853.
Congregation merged with Free Will Baptist in 1868 or 1878 and formed Paris Corners Methodist
Building burned down in 1934
Bristol and Paris Congregational Church - Plank Road (see also Town of Bristol) No longer standing
Founded: 1837
Church built: 1853
Closed 1927
Torn down 1931
Congregational Church of Paris Founded: 1844
Building built in 1852 - It was constructed on the Burlington & Racine Rd. (Hwy 11).
The building was moved to Union Grove in 1864.
Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded: 1859
Early members worshipped at the Three Oaks School. The church building was built in 1866.
Church closed in 1957 and was torn down.
Kellogg's Corners Methodist *THE FIRST METHODIST CHURCH IN WISCONSIN*
Founded: 1837 - The first Sabbath after the arrival of the three Kelloggs brothers and their families was the first prayer meeting.
Church built: 1840
Services were discontinued in 1910.
Building torn down in 1913. Its timbers were used to build a barn.
Paris Corners United Methodist Church Congregation was formed at the merger of Bethany Primitive Methodist Church anf Free Will Baptist.
Founded: 1868 or 1878
Present church built in 1954.
Hwy 142 1/4 mile west of Highway 45
262-878-3332 or 262-878-2040
Paris Free Will Baptist Founded: 1849
Early members worshipped in an old schoolhouse
Church was built in 1868
One of the original churches in the town
Congregation merged with Free Will Baptist in 1868 or 1878 and formed Paris Corners Methodist
St. John the Baptist Congregation of Paris Founded: 1850 by a small group of Catholic settlers.
Originally formed as a mission of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church.
Church was built in 1859 on land donated by Mary and Nicholas Mish and Mary and Matthias Gill.
More land was later donated by Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Mish and some was purchased from William Poisl.
Present church was built in 1912.
1/4 mile north of Highway 142 on Highway D
1501 172nd Ave.
Union Grove, WI 53182-9431
262-859-2484


Town of Pleasant Prairie

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Apostolic Faith Church Founded in 1948 as Pentecostal Faith Church. The name was changed in 1952. The congregation moved to the current location in Pleasant Prairie in 1964. 1021 95th St.
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
262-694-1482
Good Sheperd Lutheran Church Founded: 1964
Some of the original members were from the Messiah Lutheran Church.
4311 104th Street
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-694-4405
http://www.lutheransonline.com/servlet/ lo_ProcServ/DBPAGE=page& GID=01086013600981656991705252
Lamb of God Lutheran Church 8411 Old Green Bay Rd.
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
262-697-1701
http://www.lambofgodlutheran.org/
North Prairie Methodist Episcopal Church Founded: 1837-1838
The Congregation was established by Elder Salmon Stebbins. Early settlers worshipped in a log schoolhouse. A church building was built after the Civil War. The church was struck by lightning in 1923 and rebuilt in 1924.
Pleasant Prairie Baptist Church Founded: 1974
This church began as a mission of Fellowship Baptist Church. Early members worshipped in private homes and Timber Ridge Community Clubhouse. The Church building was built in 1976.
12323 Green Bay Rd.
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
262-694-3320
Pleasant Prairie United Methodist Church 8405 104th Ave.
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
262-694-8522
St. Anne's Catholic Church Founded: 2000 8550 88th Ave.
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
262-942-8300
http://www.saint-anne.org/
Unity of Kenosha Founded: 1972
The comgregation purchased a building at 711 Washington Rd. in 1982. A move in 2000 brought them to the present location.
9220 26th Ave.
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53143
262-697-5298
Victory Baptist Church Founded: 1971
Previous locations: Met in rented spaces until church was built on Springbrook
3401 Springbrook Road
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
262-694-7531


Town of Randall

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Anchor Baptist Church Founded: 1992
Located in the former St. John's Church building.
1123 Lucille Ave.
Twin Lakes, WI 53181
262-877-2631
Calvary Congregational United Church of Christ Founded: 1950
Previous location: 1511 Wilmot Ave, since 1950,
Church building was built in 1955
Present church built in 1998
1511 Wilmot Ave.
Twin Lakes, WI 53181
262-877-3133
Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded: 1964
First met in the former Cottage School in Twin Lakes. Church building was built in 1972.
Formed when some members of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church in Wilmot wanted a place to worship in Twin Lakes.
876 Lance Dr.
Twin Lakes, WI 53181
262-877-4381
Messiah Lutheran Church Founded: 1965
Church built in 1965
8720 368th St.
Twin Lakes, WI 53181
262-877-2728
St. John's Roman Catholic Church Founded: 1932
Early members worshipped at the Commodore Barry Clubhouse
Church building was built in 1942. The congregation moved to a new building in 1970
701 N Lake Ave.
Twin Lakes, WI 53181
262-877-2557


Town of Salem

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Christ Lutheran Church Formed in 1963 as a mission congregation of the American Lutheran Church.
A church was built in 1963. Present church built in 1992.
Original members were of Scandinavian descent.
24929 75th St.
Paddock Lake, WI 53168
262-843-2631
Community Baptist Church Founded: 1896
Formerly Silver Lake Baptist Church
The original church was built in 1897 by Harry Orvis of Camp Lake. The second church was built in 1955 or 1956. The third church building was built in 1970.
Fox Valley Community Church Founded: 1971
Early members worshipped at the Wilmot Grade School. Building built in 1975.
German Evangelical Lutheran Church Formed by some members of the Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church congregation in the early days.
Members met in an old cheese factory. Members where of German descent.
This church merged back with St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church to form Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church in Wilmot Founded: 1856
A small church was built in 1856. A larger church was built in the 1870s. The third church was built in 1905, but was destroyed by lightening in 1913.
The fourth church was built in 1914. Current church was built in 1958.
Early church members were mostly of Irish descent.
30100 Wilmot Road
Wilmot, WI 53192
262-862-6466
Paddock Lake Baptist Church 24823 74th Street
Salem, WI 53168
262-843-2978
Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded: 1866
See also: German Evangelical Lutheran Church and St. Peter's Lutheran Church, both in the Town of Salem.
The two churches merged back into one church and named their church "Peace" in 1909.
11233 306th Street
Wilmot, WI 53192
262-862-6014
Salem United Methodist Church Founded: 1850s
Early members worshipped at the home of John C. Hartnell. A church was built in 1879 on land donated by Dr. Francis and Martha Paddock. A new church was built in 1964.
25130 85th Street
Salem, WI 53168
262-843-2525
Silver Lake Baptist Church Founded: 1896
Renamed Community Baptist Church in 1928.
St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church The members of the Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church congregation who didn't join the German Evangelical Church congregation, remained in the existing church building and called the church St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Later this group merged back with the German church to form Peace.
Wilmot Congregational Church Early church established by the first people in Salem. When the Methodists proceeded to erect their own church in the 1870s the size of the village did not warrant two congregations and the Congregational services were discontinued. Starting in 1897 this church building was used as an Opera House. The Church building also was the meeting place of the Modern Woodmen of America. Community-wide Oyster Suppers and Square Dances were also held there until the building burned to the ground in 1953.
Wilmot United Methodist Church Founded: 1876
Early members met in people's homes until a church was built on land purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Ward Benedict.
A church building was built in 1876 with financial assistance from J. W. Voak.
11425 Fox River Road
Wilmot, WI 53192
262-862-6366


Town of Somers

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Abiding Word Lutheran Church Founded: 1970
Early services were held in the Somers Town Hall. The church was built in 1973 on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Kirchner.
1520 Green Bay Rd
Somers, WI 53171
262-552-8186
Pike Grove Presbyterian Church Formed: 1839
First church was built in 1839. The second church was built in 1846 on land donated by Rev. James Ozanne and Charles Leet.
Somers Community Church United Church of Christ The church has also been called the Pike Grove Presbyterian Church, the Somers Federated Church and the Somers Congregational Church in its history.
In 1886, the congregation moved to a location in the village of Somers. In 1960 a new church was built.
It has been a United Church of Christ since 1957.
9918 12th St.
Somers, WI 53171
262-859-2540
http://www.forministry.com/ Church/Home.asp?SiteId=53171sccu
Somers Congregational Church Formerly Somers Federated Church. Name changed in 1921.
Somers Federated Church Formerly Pike Grove Presbyterian Church. Name changed in 1869.


Town of Wheatland

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Free Will Baptist Founded: 1856
In 1900 a tornado destroyed the church.
St. Alphonsus Catholic Church Founded: 1849
Early services were held in family homes. The church building was completed in 1851. A second church was built in 1883, but was destroyed by fire in 1907. A third church was built in 1907.
Early members were mostly German and some Irish.
6301 344th Ave., Box 767
New Munster, WI 53152
262-537-4370
http://www.st-alphonsus.com
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded: mid 1850s
Early members were German immigrants.
39506 60th St
Hwy 50
Burlington-7S, WI 53105-8887
262-539-2979


City of Kenosha

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
Apostolic Church of Christ Founded: 1966
The church building was originally built in 1905 by the Christian Reformed Church. (The building was also previously occupied by the Church of God.
5302 17th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-652-2802
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Name changed to St. Peter's Catholic Church in 1904.
Baptist Tabernacle Founded: 1896, official church birthday: 1904
Founders of the church were Swedish immigrants that belonged to the First Baptist Church, but formed their own congregation called the First Swedish Church or the Swedish Baptist Church. Church building was built in 1904. A second church was built in 1910. A third church was built in 1963. The name was changed to Baptist Tabernacle in 1928.
7951 36th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-694-0320
http://www.baptisttab.com/
Beth Hillel Temple Founded: 1924
Other locations: Met above Kohn's shoe store for several years. The first Temple was built in 1927. A second building was purchased in 1954.
6050 8th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-654-2716
http://www.bethhillel.net/
Bethany Lutheran Church Founded: 1917
Previous location: A small chapel at 67th Street and 14th Avenue; 1411 74th St.
At present location since 1954
2100 75th St.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-654-3574
Bethlehem Temple Founded: 1970
Early members met in a rented store building on 63rd St. The congregation purchased the former St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church building in 1972.
2528 Roosevelt Rd.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-658-4462
Bnai Zedek Congregation Organized in 1904
Early members worshipped in homes. The synagogue was built in 1906. A second synagogue was built in 1911, due to a rapid increase in membership.
1602 56th St.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-656-1365
Bradford Community Church Unitarian Universalist The First Unitarian Society was formed in 1865. The first church was built in 1868. In 1907, another church building was built (Also known as the Boys and Girls Library) The group disbanded in 1926 and started again in 1955. 5810 Eighth Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-656-0544
http://www.bradforduu.org/
Calvary Baptist Church Merged with First Baptist Church in 1975.
Christian Assembly Founded: 1913
Early members were German in ancestry.
Current status unknown.
3917 59th St.
Kenosha, WI 53142
Christian Reformed Church Founded: 1896 but has roots in Kenosha that date back to the 1850s.
Original church was at 5302 17th Ave., built in 1905. Current church built: 1952 Original worshippers were of Dutch descent.
7506 25th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-654-6234
Church of Christ Founded: 1954
Members previously worshipped at a building on 61st St. In 1964, the congregation moved to Green Bay Rd.
4806 Green Bay Road
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-652-5711
Church of Christ Founded (in Kenosha) 1977
This church has earlier history in Racine Co., WI. Early members worshipped in rented quarters. In 1979, the congregation purchased the former Calvary Baptist Church.
5529 23th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
1-800-924-6785
Church of Christ Central Founded: 1967
6353 29th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-652-0521
http://www.kenoshachurchof christ.org/
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Founded (in Kenosha): 1968
Present location since 1971.
1444 30th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-552-8887
Church of the Nazarene Founded: 1939
Current Status unknown
2400 63rd St.
Kenosha, WI
Coleman Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church Founded: 1932
Other locations: First met in a rented hall at 5022 Sixth Ave., then moved into buildings at Eighth Avenue, between 51st and 52nd Streets, and at 1019 50th St.
At current location since 1968
4111 30th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-658-8304
Community Baptist Church 4609 38th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-656-7024
http://www.execpc.com/~combapt/
Cornerstone Assembly of God Merged with Prayer House Assembly of God. Moved to new location at 1525 24th Ave. 6442 22nd Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-654-9013
Danish Baptist Church Founded: 1886
Danish Church Society Name changed to St. Mary's Lutheran Church in 1976.
Ebenezer German Methodist Church Early name for Immanuel United Methodist Church.
Fellowship Baptist Church Organized in 1969 as a mission of Temple Baptist Church. Members homes and rented quarters were the first meeting places. The church was built in 1973.
1700 89th St.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-694-6164
First Assembly of God Organized in 1933
Early members worshipped in rented quarters. Then the congregation moved to a building on Roosevelt Road. In 1960, a church was build at 60th St. and Pershing Blvd.
10700 75th
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-694-3300
http://www.kenoshafirstassembly. org/welcome/welcome.html
First Baptist Church Founded: Roots go back to 1838
Early members worshipped in a log house. In 1849, the first church building was built. A second church was built in 1890, but it was destroyed by fire in 1901. Another church was built in 1903.
3700 47th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-652-5017
First Christian Church Founded: 1923
Present location: since 1999
Previous location: 3116 75th St.
13022 Wilmot Rd.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-857-4743
First Congregational Church Roots date back to 1838.
The first church was built in 1844. This church was moved to a site at Sheridan Rd. and 57th St. A third church was built in 1874.
5934 Eighth Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-654-0457
First Presbyterian Church Formally founded in 1925, although the church has roots back to 1922.
The name of the church was originally the Salem Presbyterian Church when the church was located on Salem Ave. (The church was not in the Town of Salem.) The street name changed and the church name was then changed to First Presbyterian. A second church was built in 1940. In 1966 the congregation built a third church.
1803 83rd St
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-652-6838
First Swedish Church Name changed to Baptist Tabernacle in 1928. (Also, Swedish Baptist Church)
First United Methodist Church Founded: 1837
The first church was built at Sixth Avenue and 56th Street in 1843. In 1883, a fire destroyed the church. A church was built to replace it. Then a church was built on Seventh Avenue across from Library Park in 1906. In 1929, the present church was built.
At one time, this church was called the Park Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church.
919 60th St.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-658-3213
Foursquare Gospel Church Founded: 1929 6820 Sheridan Rd.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-652-3640
Friedens Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded: 1856
In 1856, the congregation was called the German Evangelical Lutheran Church Society. Originally the church was on a site near the lake that is now the parking lot for the Holiday Inn. In present location since 1909. Original members were of German ancestry.
5038 19th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-654-7746
Friendship Baptist Church Founded in 1961
1203 61st St.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-658-3474
Gospel Chapel Early members worshipped at several rented sites including a hall at 9th St. and Sheridan. In 1967, the congregation moved to the church previously owned by the United Pentecostal Church of God, which was originally built by the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.
2500 Roosevelt Rd.
Kenosha, WI
Grace Lutheran Church Founded: 1901
The church was originally called the Grace English Lutheran Church. The church was built in 1903. Early members were German in descent but worshipped in English.
2006 60th St.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-654-9143
Highview Church of God 5404 67th St.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-657-0598
Holy Nativity Lutheran Church Oranized: 1962
Early members worshipped at the MacWhyte Co. office, and then at Carthage College. The church was built in 1964
2313 17th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-654-0364
Holy Rosary Catholic Church Founded in 1904
Early members were Italian immigrant families. The first church was located at 22nd Ave. and 55th St. The present church was built in 1931.
2224 45th St.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-652-2930
http://www.hrosary.org/
Immanuel Baptist Church Founded in 1922 as the Immanuel German Baptist Church. The "German" was dropped from in name in 1965.
Original members worshipped in homes, and then in the Swedish Baptist Church. In 1918, an Elgin, Ill. church was moved to Kenosha to provide a more permanent home for the congregation. It was located at 64th St. and 29th Ave. A new church was built in 1954 at Wilson Rd. and 39th. Ave. In 1993, the congregation moved into its present building.
6009 Pershing Blvd.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-654-7957
Immanuel United Methodist Church Founded: 1854, but church roots date back to 1852. Originally called the Ebenezer German Methodist Church. Early members worshipped in the basement of the Park Avenue Methodist Church. The first church building was built in 1855 and located at 52nd St. and 8th Ave. A new church building was built in 1882, but this one was burned to the ground in the famous Allen Tannery fire in 1890. A third church was promptly built in 1890. The church's name changed about 1917 to Immanuel Methodist. Original members were German in ancestry.
5410 Sheridan Road
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-652-3784
Kenosha Bible Church Founded: 1922
Early members were of Scandinavian descent. Previously worshipped in the Danish Brotherhood Hall. An early name for the church was "The Gospel Center". The first church was built at 67th St. and 20th Ave. The name was changed to Kenosha Bible Church in 1932. A second church building was built in 1950 and the third church was built in 1976.
5406 67th St.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-652-4507
http://www.kenoshabible.org/
Lakeshore Tabernacle Founded: 1950
Early members worshipped at quaker Hall. Later, they worshiped in a building rented from Michael Lencione. In 1952, the congregation purchased and remodeled the old Lincoln Theater, 6923 14th Ave. The church was built in 1967. An early name for the congregation was Christian Temple.
8900 34th Ave.
Kenosha, WI
262-694-5299
Lord of Life Lutheran Church Founded: 1985
Early members met at Bullen Junior High School
5601 Washington Road
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-656-1995
Memorial United Methodist Church Founded in 1916 by an Italian Evangelical congregation. Later the church became affiliated with the Evangelical United Bretheren and finally with the Methodist church.
Current status not known.
3712 50th St.
Kenosha, WI
Messiah Lutheran Church Founded: 1960
Early members met at homes and the Woman's Club in downtown Kenosha. Present church was built in 1962.
2026 22nd Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-551-8182
http://messiahkenosha.org/
Mt. Hebron Church of God Founded: 1967
Other locations: Met in minister's home, then rented and eventually purchased old Lincoln Theatre at 6923 14th Ave. Bought current church in 1985. Also known as Greater Mt. Hebron Church of God in Christ.
6639 20th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-652-5603
Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded: 1946
The first chapel was located on the first floor of a remodeled home. A church was built in 1958.
5927 37th Ave
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-652-3054
Northside Bible Church This church began as a Sunday school in 1936 called Wayside Mission. A church was established early and the name changed to Wayside Gospel Church. In 1956, the name was changed to Northside Bible Church.
1600 37th St.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-657-7395
http://www.execpc.com/~nbc/
Norwegian-Danish Church Founded: 1899
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church Founded 1904 as Holy Rosary Catholic Church
Early members were Italian immigrant families. The first church was located at 22nd Ave. and 55th St. When the new Holy Rosary Catholic Church was built in 1930, the old church was renamed Mt. Carmel. A new Mt. Carmel church building was built in 1964.
1919 54th St.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-652-7660
http://www.archmil.org/parishes/ ShowParish.asp?ID=6
Park Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church
Parkside Baptist Church Founded: 1955
An early name for this church was Mid-City Baptist Church. Church was built in 1968.
2620 14th Place
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-552-8322
http://www.parksidebaptistchurch.org
Peniel Tabernacle Founded: 1916
Other early names include the Peniel Pentacostal Tabernacle and "Market Street Mission". At one time this church worshipped in the former St. Mary's Lutheran Church building. According to current records, this congregation is no longer in existance.
6442 22nd Ave.
Kenosha, WI
Pentecostal Faith Church Founded: 1948
Name changed to Apostolic Faith Church in 1952. Church moved to Pleasant Prairie in 1952.
3528 14th Ave.
Kenosha, WI
Plymouth Congregational Church Founded: 1964 1411 25th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-552-8440
Prayer House Assembly of God Founded: 1999, Located at the former Cornerstone Church and additional services held at Bose Elementary School. Former location: 6442 22nd Ave. Congregation built a new church. 1525 24th Ave.
Kenosha, WI, 53140
262-595-0500
http://www.prayerhouseag.org
Salvation Army Founded (in Kenosha): 1924
Previous locations include: 5809 7th Ave., 9204 26th Ave., and 9220 26th Ave. In 2000, the congregation moved into the building formerly owned by the First Christian Church.
3116 75th St.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-564-0286
http://www.salvationarmywi.org/ default.asp?siteid=11&pageid=136
Second Baptist Church Founded: 1919
Other locations: Met in people's homes for several years, then in the afternoons at First Baptist Church of Kenosha. After many moves from place to place, the
cornerstone at the current site was laid in 1964.
3925 32nd Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-652-1692
Seventh Day Adventist Church Founded: 1966 3232 Roosevelt Rd.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-652-3599
Souls Harbor Pentecostal Church of God Founded: 1962
Early members worshipped in rented space before purchasing the building previously owned by the Kenosha Bible Church.
2400 63rd St.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-652-8600
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church Founded in 1915 as a mission church for St. Matthew's Episcopal Church.
The early members of this church were people who had come over from Yorkshire, England and Scotland to work in local knitting mills. The church was elevated to Parish rank on Nov. 29, 1953.
6615 26th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-652-5118
St. Anthony's of Padua Catholic Church Founded in 1910 to serve the Slovakian residents. 2223 51st St.
Kenosha, WI
St. Casimir Catholic Church Founded: 1909
Early members were of Polish ancestry.
Closed in 2000, members merged with St. George to form St. Elizabeth.
1009 Washington
Kenosha, WI http://parishesonline.net/scripts/ dbgetParishRecord.asp?ID=3521
St. Elizabeth Catholic Congregation Founded: 2000
Present church: The former St. George Catholic Church
4816 7th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-657-1156
St. George Catholic Church Founded: 1849
Early members were of German descent.
Mergered with St. Casimir in 1996 to form St. Elizabeth.
4816 7th Ave.
Kenosha, WI
http://parishesonline.net/scripts/ dbgetParishRecord.asp?ID=3522
St. James the Apostle Catholic Church Founded: 1844
First Mass was offered for the small group that originally began as St. Mark's Parish. In 1883, when the present church was dedicated, the name was changed to St. James in honor of patron saint of the Rev. James Cleary.
Many of the early members were of Irish descent.
5804 Sheridan Road
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-658-8071
http://stjameskenosha.com/
St. John's Lutheran Church Founded: 1904
The early church members were Slovak immigrants who worshipped in members' homes. In 1910, the congregation purchased the estate of Colonel Howe, a Civil War veteran. The house was remodeled and served as their place of worship. A new church was built in 1933.
3833 Eighth Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-654-7113
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded: 1914
Members of this church were of German ancestry. St. Luke's was a mission church of Friedens Evangelical Lutheran Church.
6700 30th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-652-1017
St. Mark Catholic Church Founded: 1924
Construction was begun on the church building in 1924, but a tornado destroyed the frame. it was completed in 1927. The present church was built in 1970.
7117 14th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-656-7373
http://www.stmark-kenosha.org/
St. Mary's Catholic Church Founded: 1929
Merged with St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in 2000.
7400 39th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-694-6018
http://stmarycatholic.org/
St. Mary's Lutheran Church Organized in 1871 by Danish immigrants.
The church was originally called in Danish Church Society. The name changed to St. Mary's in 1976.
The congregation worshipped in several church buildings before purchasing the First Congregational Church in 1874. A second church building was built at 52nd and 10th Ave. The third building was built at 22nd Ave. and 65th St. The present church was built in 1960.
2001 80th St.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-658-3555
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church Founded: 1840
The first church building was a wooden frame church where courthouse now stands. The present church site across from Library Park was purchased in 1871. Building began on this site in 1873 and was completed in 1878.
5900 Seventh Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-654-8642
http://members.tripod.com/surob59/ index.htm
St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church Founded: 1912
Originally met at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, then built a church at 17th Avenue and 43rd Street. Early members were of Russian ancestry.
4313 18th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53140
262-657-3415
http://www.oca.org/pages/directory/ listing.asp?KEY=OCA-MW-KENSNC
St. Paul's Lutheran Church Originally called the Swedish Lutheran St. Paul's Church of Kenosha. The church was founded in 1892. The first church building was built in 1898 on Third St. (16th Ave.). A second church was built in 1923 and was located at 26th Ave. and Roosevelt Rd. The present church was built in 1972.
8760 37th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-694-3101
St. Peter's Catholic Church Founded: 1903
The original members of the church were Lithuanian immigrants. Early church services were held at St. Casimir and St. George churches. In 1908 the congregation purchased the former Friedens Lutheran Church building on 51st. St. between 7th and 8th Avenues. The present church was built in 1965.
An early name for this parish was the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish.
2224 30th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-551-9004
http://www.archmil.org/parishes/ ShowParish.asp?ID=23
St. Therese Catholic Church Began meeting in about 1952; Congregation purchased land in the Stanley Woods at 22nd Ave. in South Kenosha for their new parish in August 1952. Church was built in 1959 9005 22nd Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53143
262-694-4695
http://www.st-therese-kenosha.org/
St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church Founded: 1909
The church was built in 1911. Early members were English and German.
Closed in 2000.
Merger with St. Mary's Catholic Church in 2000.
2522 63rd St.
Kenosha, WI
http://parishesonline.net/scripts/ dbgetParishRecord.asp?ID=3530
Swedish Baptist Church Earlier name for the Baptist Tabernacle.
Swedish Lutheran St. Paul's Church of Kenosha Name changed to St. Paul's Lutheran Church.
Temple Baptist Church Founded 1954
Early members met in rented quarters including the Elks Club and Pretestant youth Center building at 2416 52nd Ave. The congregation built a church in 1959.
5214 47th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-654-6611
Trinity Lutheran Church Founded: 1927 as a mission church of Grace Lutheran Church.
7104 39th Ave.
Kenosha, WI 53142
262-694-5050
United Pentecostal Church Name changed to Apostolic Faith Church in 1952. Church moved to Pleasant Prairie in 1952.
Victory Church of God Founded: 1976
Current status unknown.
7445 20th Ave.
Kenosha, WI
Victory Temple Founded: 1973
As far as we know, this congregation no longer exists.
9249 Green Bay Rd.
Kenosha, WI
Wayside Gospel Church Name changed to Northside Bible Church in 1956.
Wesley United Methodist Church Founded in 1921 as a mission Sunday school of First United Methodist Church. The church was organized in 1950. The church building was built between 1956 and 1958. 4600 60th St.
Kenosha, WI 53144
262-654-8122


Other Nearby Churches

NAME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ADDRESS/PHONE/WEBSITE
North Prairie Methodist Episcopal Church Located just over the Illinois border south of Pleasant Prairie.
Early settlers were John R. Nichols and John Dexter. In 1837, Elder Salmon Stebbins conducted the first services. Early members worshiped in a log schoolhouse. The church burned to the grown in 1923 after it was struck by lightning. The church was rebuilt in 1924.



Religion Links

Wisconsin Catholic Church History

Local Catholic Church and Family History Genealogical Resource Guide

Wisconsin Conference United Methodist Church

United Methodist Churches in Wisconsin

How to use church records in genealogy

Directory of Wisconsin Churches



Click here to go to
WIGenWeb AHGP

Return to Kenosha Co. Page