Town of Paris


From "The City of Kenosha and Kenosha County Wisconsin" by Frank H. Lyman, 1916, p. 321:
Paris
When the Town of Paris was first organized in 1842 it took in one tier of sections in town 3 and part of Somers, but the town records do not show the limits or boundaries of the town. Some of the early settlers were: S. B. Myrick, James Harris, Captain Linsley, F. M. Weeks, Jacob Myers, James N. Marsh, Rufus Marstin, Z. P. Rich, E. D. Dunning, John Craney, H. A. Newbury, Patrick Murray, Francis Chambers, Jake Miller, Francis Magin. The foregoing came in 1837 and 1838. There were several farms opened in 1837. Myrick came first and named the town Paris. Elder Bristol preached the first sermon at the funeral of George Myrick in the fall of 1841, at the house of S. B. Myrick. The Congregational Church was organized by Thomas Tenny in 1851 and the church was built in 1853. Richard Jones opened the first store in the town. George McCarty kept the first tavern in Jugville. The first supervisors of the town were Haines French, William Coffin, Moses C. Bennett; the clerk was Elisha Baker. The first officers were elected at the house of Chauncey Kellogg, in April, 1842.



Click here to go to
WIGenWeb AHGP

Return to Placenames Page